Gimpel Fils is a London art gallery based at 30 Davies Street in Westminster just off Grosvenor Square. The gallery was founded by Charles and Peter Gimpel, sons of the celebrated Parisian art dealer, René Gimpel, author of the Diary of an Art Dealer. Throughout its history it has maintained a commitment to contemporary British and International art.
ArteLia Contemporary Art and ConsultancyDistance: 1.3 miTourist Information 68 Vincent Square London, SW1 2NU
ArteLia gallery founded in 2008 in central London primarily focusing on Eastern European non conformist artists but later expending its expertise into international contemporary art to widen the scope of work with collectors.
ArteLia Consultancy is independent and discreet art consultancy for private individuals and corporate clients. We are based in London and Monaco but working internationally.
The initial consultation will involve finding out about client’s requirements and expectations. We will talk about the specifications, subject matter and value of the required piece and discuss the surroundings in which the artwork will be displayed. Our team will often visit the space in situ to have a better understanding of the project and plan the next steps of collaboration.
Andipa is a leading international dealer in Modern and Contemporary Art based in the heart of Knightsbridge, London, UK. Specializing in masters such as Matisse, Warhol and Picasso through to exciting landmark contemporaries including David Hockney, Damien Hirst and Banksy, our collection is constantly developing and growing providing a stimulating and dynamic experience for our clients and visitors.
We invite you to visit us anytime and or email [email protected] to reserve a private viewing or for more information.
Walton Fine Arts specializes in Modern, Contemporary, Pop and Street Art. We deal original paintings, lithographs, fine art prints and sculptures by artists including Bacon, Banksy, Chagall, Hirst, Indiana, Leger, Lichtenstein, Miro, Picasso, Warhol, Wesselmann and many more.
Our gallery is on Walton Street, one of London’s most exclusive locations featuring high end boutiques, restaurants, cafes and bars, conveniently located between Knightsbridge and South Kensington, just a minute walk from Brompton Cross and its amenities.
Walton Fine Arts is Bambi Street Artist’s original gallery and represents Lawrence Schiller‘s legendary photographs of Marilyn Monroe for Europe.
WFA is a physical gallery, providing customers with assurance in quality, condition, authenticity and top quality museum standards framing on purchases.
We represent extremely talented and original up and coming artists such as Plastic Jesus, Bambi, Richard Zarzi, Robert Hilmersson, Elmo Hood and more..
The Dentist Gallery provides high quality, state-of-the-art comprehensive dental care that is designed to meet all of your smile needs, delivered in the most stylish and luxurious décor combining a great experience through music, art and innovative dental care.
Our entire team is dedicated to providing you with excellent, personalized care and service to make your visits as comfortable and pleasant as possible.
At The Dentist Gallery we have worked hard to create a dental experience with a difference. It's a break from the norm.
Through our interactive web-site patients can book appointments, make inquiries, visit our art gallery and even choose their favourite playlist for their upcoming dental visit.
Come in and see what makes us unique!
A long-standing business with over thirty years of experience in the international fine art and antiques market, H&H Gallery houses a large collection of Islamic and European works, amassed over two continents (Middle East and Europe) and dating to the 8th century onwards.
Our collection spans fine and decorative art and features a variety of objects in different media including – but not limited to – ceramics, glass, metalwork, arms & armour, wood/ivory/stone pieces, jewelry, painting, manuscript painting, textiles and carpets. We also collect works of modern Arab art, possessing paintings from notable artists among the avant-garde movements of twentieth century Baghdad.
H&H takes its symbol from an abstraction of the emblem of the penultimate Mamluk ruler, Sultan Al-Ghouri, featured on a magnificent basin within the collection. Recognised for his faithful patronage of artisan craft and trade, Al-Ghouri’s commitment to the arts, even during a period of economic upheaval, is an approach we hope to emulate in our selection of items.
H&H Gallery maintains strong relationships with clients and institutions, and consults with exterior specialists to ensure the authenticity of objects.
We invite you to come visit us at our boutique at 48 Beauchamp Place or to book an appointment at one of our alternative locations, such as the showroom in Park Royal or in our office, situated in the heart of Mayfair.
The art dealer Andras Kalman (1919 - 2007) had a rare, discerning eye for the fresh, original impulse underlying the best modern art - a pristine, non-academic quality evident too in his impressive collection of 18th and 19th century naive British paintings with their beautifully awry perspectives. Visitors to his gallery were invariably enchanted by his courteous charm, flair and wittily, sometimes uproariously, perceptive stories about artists whose work he showed, including L.S. Lowry, Ben Nicholson and Graham Sutherland.
He was born into a Jewish family in the small town of Mateszalka in Hungary on 24th May 1919, where his father was a prosperous pharmacist. At the age of nineteen, he came to England first to study English, then chemistry at Leeds University. He never saw his family again; they perished in the Holocaust.
In 1949 he opened up a small art gallery in Manchester in a basement in a former air raid shelter. With a young man's chutzpah, he set his sights high, writing to Ben Nicholson, Henry Moore, Jacob Epstein, Matthew Smith, Lucian Freud and others, requesting the loan of works on a sale or return basis. Most responded well, but not so the public, none of whom turned up for the first private view. A Manchester Guardian typesetter misread Kalman's cursive script for "new gallery opening" as "Crane Gallery opening". So he simply adopted this singular name, the gallery thereafter being known as the Crane Kalman Gallery. Towards the end of the first show, the local painter L.S. Lowry came in and, sensing that Kalman was struggling, bought a small painting. So began a lifelong friendship.
In 1957 Kalman moved to London and set up the Crane Kalman Gallery at 178 Brompton Road. He showed many artists from the Ecole de Paris in 1963 putting on a show titled 'Soutine - Modigliani' (with a characteristically phrased sub-title 'A modest complement to the Tate Gallery Exhibition').
Kalman staged many exhibitions of works by artists he felt were critically underrated: Nicholson's first wife Winifred, the maker of sensuous yet transcendent flower paintings; Alan Lowndes, the self-taught but far from naive painter of ruggedly poignant scenes of northern English urban life; and Celso Lagar, the spirited Spanish painter of the bohemian circus, pre-eminent among them. He also liked to highlight neglected aspects of the artists. He was, for example, infuriated by the growing popular myth of Lowry as a grumbling misanthrope, saying he found him "warm, friendly, generous though lonely". In 1968, he put on a revelatory show, 'The Loneliness of L S Lowry', which included disquietingly empathetic oil sketches of ostracised down-and-outs, a man searching a dustbin for food, a bearded woman. He also showed what he described to me as 'lonely Lowrys', bleak yet awe-inspiring moor scenes and nearly all-white seascapes.
Kalman's warmth and erudition attracted many writers, actors and film and theatre directors. Yet ironically, what often brought them to his gallery was a subtle, unsensational, contemplative quality announced in the title of a 1999 exhibition, 'Silence in Painting'. This resounding quietness manifested itself here in landscapes by Giorgio Morandi, abstracts by Ben Nicholson, and the spacious, luminous paintings of Mary Newcomb, the East Anglian painter Kalman had discovered and successfully exhibited.
He felt strongly that art should intimately move and nourish the viewer, telling me that when he visited Henry Moore, he was "aware of the humanity of the person. Moore would have a small sculpture on a table, some so beautiful you want to caress them, and that is the sort of art I like."
Two of his children, Sally and Andrew, continue to run the gallery along with Robin Light who joined the business in 1986.
Philip Vann is a writer on the visual arts.
Orproject is a London-based architecture and design practice set up in 2006 by Francesco Brenta, Christoph Klemmt, and Rajat Sodhi. Our work explores advanced geometries with an ecologic agenda, the integration of natural elements into the design results in an "eco-narrative".
Our projects range from experimental small-scale installations to large real-estate developments. We produce high-end luxury design, covering all aspects of a project from design and planning to practical completion. Our work has been published and exhibited widely at, amongst other events, the London Architecture Festival, the Furniture Fair in Milan, Palais de Tokyo in Paris and the Goethe Institute in Beijing.
The Queen's Gallery is a public art gallery at Buckingham Palace, home of the British monarch, in London. It exhibits works of art from the Royal Collection (those works owned by the King or Queen "in trust for the nation" rather than privately) on a rotating basis; about 450 works are on display at any one time.The gallery is at the west front of the Palace, on the site of a chapel bombed during the Second World War, and first opened in 1962. Over the following 37 years it received 5 million visitors, until it was closed in 1999–2002 for extension work carried out by John Simpson. On 21 May 2002, the gallery was reopened by Elizabeth II to coincide with her Golden Jubilee. The extension added the current Doric entrance portico and several new rooms, more than tripling the size of the building. It is open to the public for much of the year.
Fine art is increasingly sought out for investment and a store of wealth. Witness the fact that the market has expanded 600% in 20 years.
New buyers are there in numbers, from established and emerging economies. Not just individuals; a growing number of public and private museums are hunting for work to hang on their walls.
Demand is increasing, supply is constrained. Art from the Renaissance through to the modern era is no longer being produced. The great modern names – people like Picasso, Lichtenstein, Warhol, Pollock – are no longer with us.
Imitate Modern is an art gallery in the heart of London which exhibits works by the most inspiring and exciting emerging artists, together with arts most established stars.
We have been serious collectors of contemporary art for over twenty years and use this gallery as a way of passing the pleasure of owning art to our friends, associates and the world. Our private views are fast becoming infamous for being the most talked about and entertaining nights on the art calendar.
Exhibitions range from serious paintings and sculpture, to pop silkscreens and contemporary photography, but our intention remains the same – to help our clients build interesting and enriching collections, and most of all enjoy art in the most engaging way possible.
The City of Westminster Magistrates' Court was a magistrates' court located at 70 Horseferry Road, in the City of Westminster, London. It was originally called Horseferry Road Magistrates' Court, after the road in which it was sited. However, it was renamed in July 2006 following the closure of Bow Street Magistrates' Court. It served as the court where the Chief Magistrate of England and Wales sat, and all extradition and terrorism-related cases passed through the court. The court closed permanently on 22 September 2011, and was replaced on 27 September 2011 with Westminster Magistrates' Court, built on the site of Marylebone Magistrates' Court at 181 Marylebone Road.The court pictured has since been demolished, and replaced with a development of flats.HistoryThe court building, designed by C. A. Legerton and opened in 1974, was functional and "of minimal personality and minimal expression of function and purpose", according to Pevsner. It was opened as one of a series of three larger court houses, with the others at Camberwell Green and Highbury Corner. It had four courtrooms as opened and a further two were later added. The central location and proximity to New Scotland Yard caused the court to be involved in a number of high-profile cases.
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Westminster Distance: 1.1 miTourist Information Ambrosden Avenue, Westminster, London SW1P 1QJ, England, Great Britain London, United Kingdom SW1P 1 020 7798 9033
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Westminster is an archdiocese of the Latin Rite of the Roman Catholic Church in England, historically however it has always been styled the Diocese of Westminster. The archdiocese consists of all of London north of the River Thames and west of the River Lea, together with the borough of Spelthorne and the county of Hertfordshire, which lies immediately to London's north.The diocese is led by the Archbishop of Westminster, who serves as pastor of the mother church, Westminster Cathedral, as well as the metropolitan bishop of the Metropolitan Province of Westminster. Since the re-establishment of the English Catholic dioceses in 1850 each Archbishop of Westminster, including the incumbent, Archbishop Vincent Gerard Nichols, has been created a cardinal by the Pope in consistory, often as the only cardinal in England. It is also customary for the Archbishop of Westminster to be elected President of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales providing a degree of a formal direction for the other English bishops and archbishops. However he is not formally a primate, though has special privileges conferred by the Papal Bull Si qua es. The diocese is one of the smallest dioceses in England and Wales in geographical area, but the largest in terms of Catholic population and priests. It is legally established as a diocese, though canonically an archdiocese.
The Embassy of Hungary in London is the diplomatic mission of Hungary in the United Kingdom. Opposite the embassy itself can be found the Hungarian Economic, Investment & Trade Commission and the Hungarian National Tourist Office at 46 Eaton Place. A Hungarian Cultural Centre is also maintained at 10 Maiden Lane in Covent Garden.
Portland House Distance: 1.0 miTourist Information Bressenden Pl London, United Kingdom SW1E 5DS
Portland House is a skyscraper in Westminster, London. It is 101m tall with 29 floors and was completed in 1963.The building has two banks of lifts — the first serving the first up to the fifteenth floor, and the second the fifteenth floor upwards.Firms that currently use Portland House for office space include American Express, Crossrail, Caxton FX, HomeAway UK, Owners Direct, Increase the Wedge, NetBooster, Somo Global, TradeDoubler, uSwitch, Upmystreet.com, Reef Television, Rentokil Initial, AkzoNobel and Regus. Regus provides serviced offices to a number of companies. The building once contained the head offices of British United Airways.The building is a five-minute walk from London Victoria station (mainline and tube) and a ten-minute walk from Victoria Coach Station. Difficult to find entrance but off Victoria Street, Cathedral Walk goes to main entrance. The surrounding area has been redeveloped between 2003 and 2005 with a new shopping and refreshments area called Cardinal Place. The building also has a gym in the basement.
The High Commission of Lesotho in London is the diplomatic mission of Lesotho in the United Kingdom.
Embassy of Austria, London Distance: 1.0 miTourist Information 18 Belgrave Mews West London, United Kingdom SW1X 8HU
The Embassy of Austria in London is the diplomatic mission of Austria in the United Kingdom. Austria also maintain a Commercial Section at 45 Prince’s Gate, South Kensington and a Cultural Section at 28 Rutland Gate, South Kensington.HistoryThe Austrian Habsburg Monarchy had a permanent delegation in London from 1677 onwards, it was upgraded to the embassy of the Austrian Empire in 1860. The residence was in Chandos House in Marylebone, before it moved to Belgravia in 1866, thus making this the only building used by the Austro-Hungarian Foreign Service that is still used today the Austrian government.Following the rupture of diplomatic relations between Austria-Hungary and Britain after the outbreak of the First World War the embassy was looked after first by the government of America and then that of Sweden. Following the end of that conflict the embassy was given to the government of the new state of Austria, though a dispute over ownership of the embassy with Hungary was not resolved until 1934. Following the unification of Austria with Nazi Germany in 1938 the building was used as a German consulate, and was then looked after by the Swiss government following the outbreak of the Second World War. After a brief period of use by the Ministry of Works Austria resumed occupation of the embassy in 1949 where it remains to this day.
St. Ermin's Hotel is a four-star central London hotel adjacent to St James's Park underground station, close to Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament. The Grade II-listed late Victorian building, built as one of the early mansion blocks in the city is thought to be named after an ancient monastery reputed to have occupied the site pre-10th century. Converted to a hotel in 1896–99, it became during the 1930s, through the Second World War and beyond, a meeting place of the British intelligence services, notably the birthplace of the Special Operations Executive (SOE), and where notorious Cambridge Five double agents Philby and MacLean met their Russian handlers.BackgroundThe St Ermin's Hotel in St James's Park, London was originally a horse-shoe shaped mansion block built in 1887–89 to the designs of E. T. Hall (1851–1923). Mansion blocks (high-status, serviced apartments) were first seen in Victoria Street, London in the 1850s and remain a feature of the area today. St Ermin's Mansions was typical in both plan and elevation; Hall employed the fashionable red-brick Queen Anne style for the exterior and grouped the apartments around a courtyard which functioned both as a carriageway and garden for the residents. Four entrances led off the courtyard into the apartments (the two entrances in the side wings still exist in their original form to this day). By 1894 the building appears to have been extended along Broadway as far as St Ermin's Hill.
55 Broadway is a Grade I listed building overlooking St. James's Park in London. It was designed by Charles Holden and built between 1927 and 1929; in 1931 the building earned him the RIBA London Architecture Medal.It was constructed as a new headquarters for the Underground Electric Railways Company of London (UERL), the main forerunner of London Underground. Upon completion, it was the tallest office block in the city.London Underground was due to vacate the building in 2015 for new headquarters, and 55 Broadway will be converted for residential use.DescriptionFaced with Portland stone and covering a site with an irregular footprint, the upper office floors of the building are on a cruciform plan, stepping back towards the central clock tower at the top. The cruciform design afforded the optimum level of natural light to the offices. The ground floor now contains a shopping arcade and many art deco details. Previously the ground floor was also given over to London Transport offices, including a travel information centre, cash office and a library. The whole building straddles St. James's Park tube station, the east and west wings being immediately above the railway tunnel. When finished it was the tallest steel-framed office building in London, until another Holden building, the University of London's Senate House (based on similar designs and materials), took the accolade.
The High Commission of Pakistan in London is the diplomatic mission of Pakistan in the United Kingdom.In September 2015, DAWN (newspaper) reported Prime Minister of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif constituted a four-member committee to explore the possibility of selling the High Commission building.
Buckingham Palace est la résidence officielle de la monarchie britannique à Londres. Le palais est à la fois le lieu où se produisent les événements en relation avec la famille royale, le point de chute de beaucoup de chefs d’État en visite, et une attraction touristique importante. C’est le point de convergence du peuple britannique lors des moments de joie, de crise et de peine. « Buckingham Palace », ou tout simplement « le Palais », désigne la source des déclarations de presse émanant des bureaux royaux. Buckingham Palace a été construit par John Sheffield à l'origine du duc de Buckingham en 1703, c'est le lieu de résidence de la monarchie britannique. Buckingham Palace a été reconstruit au cours des siècles par John Nash pour George IV.Au Moyen Âge, le site du palais de Buckingham formait une partie du manoir d’Ebury. Il y eut plusieurs occupants royaux depuis Édouard le Confesseur, et a été l’objet de nombreuses spéculations à propos de son propriétaire : une faille dans le bail de Charles d’Angleterre permit au terrain de revenir dans le giron royal au. Les précurseurs de Buckingham Palace sont Blake House, Goring House et Arlington House.D’abord connu sous le nom de Buckingham House, le bâtiment formant le cœur du palais d’aujourd’hui était auparavant un grand hôtel particulier construit en 1703 par le duc de Buckingham John Sheffield et acquis par le roi George III en 1762 pour en faire sa résidence privée. Il a été agrandi au cours des 75 années suivantes, principalement par les architectes John Nash et Edward Blore, qui ajoutèrent trois ailes autour d’une cour carrée. Buckingham Palace devint finalement la résidence officielle de la monarchie britannique lors de l’accession au trône de la reine Victoria en 1837. Les derniers ajouts structurels d’importance datent de la fin du et du début du : l’imposante aile est qui fait face au Mall a été ajoutée, et l’ancienne entrée officielle, Marble Arch, a été déplacée près du Speaker’s Corner à Hyde Park, où elle se trouve toujours. La façade côté est a été refaite en 1913 avec des blocs de calcaire de Portland, en arrière plan du Victoria Memorial, créant la « façade publique » de Buckingham, avec le fameux balcon en son centre.
The Embassy of France in London is the diplomatic mission of France to the United Kingdom. Located just off Knightsbridge at Albert Gate, one of the entrances to Hyde Park, it is situated immediately opposite the Embassy of Kuwait.This building, along with the rest of Albert Gate and neighbouring buildings, were designed by the British architect Thomas Cubitt; his son, George Cubitt, who was created Baron Ashcombe in 1892, is Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's great-great-grandfather.At the time of these buildings' construction in the 1840s, they were by far the tallest structures in the neighbourhood.The Republic of France also owns various premises along the Cromwell Road, South Kensington which house its Consular, Cultural, Science & Technology and Visa sections. It is also has a Trade Mission at 28-29 Haymarket and a Paymaster & Financial Comptroller Section at 30 Queen’s Gate Terrace, South Kensington.
Set in the heart of Royal London at Hyde Park Corner, Wellington Arch is a landmark for Londoners and visitors alike and a great addition to a memorable day out in London. The balconies also offer unique views across London and of the Household Cavalry, passing beneath on their way to and from the Changing of the Guard at Horse Guards Parade every morning. It was originally commissioned as a grand outer entrance to Buckingham Palace and moved to its present site in 1882.
St James's Palace is the official residence of the sovereign and the most senior royal palace in the United Kingdom. Located in the City of Westminster, although no longer the principal residence of the monarch, it is the ceremonial meeting place of the Accession Council and the London residence of several members of the royal family.Built by Henry VIII on the site of a leper hospital dedicated to Saint James the Less, the palace was secondary in importance to the Palace of Whitehall for most Tudor and Stuart monarchs. The palace increased in importance during the reigns of the early Georgian monarchy, but was displaced by Buckingham Palace in the late-18th and early-19th centuries. After decades of being used increasingly for only formal occasions, the move was formalised by Queen Victoria in 1837. Today the palace houses a number of official offices, societies and collections and all ambassadors and high commissioners to the United Kingdom are still accredited to the Court of St James's.Mainly built between 1531 and 1536 in red-brick, the palace's architecture is primarily Tudor in style. A fire in 1809 destroyed parts of the structure, including the monarch's private apartments, which were never replaced. Some 17th-century interiors survive, but most were remodelled in the 19th century.
Bridgewater House, Westminster Distance: 0.6 miTourist Information 14 Cleveland Row London, United Kingdom SW1A 1
Bridgewater House is a townhouse located at 14 Cleveland Row in the St James's area of London, England. It is a Grade I listed building.HistoryThe earliest known house on the site was Berkshire House, built in about 1626-27 for Thomas Howard, second son of the Earl of Suffolk and Master of the Horse to Charles I of England when he was Prince of Wales. Howard was later created Earl of Berkshire.After being occupied by Parliamentarian troops in the English Civil War, used for the Portuguese Embassy, and lived in by Edward Hyde, 1st Earl of Clarendon, the house was lived in by Charles II's mistress Barbara Villiers, who was made Duchess of Cleveland in 1670, following which the house was known as Cleveland House. She refaced the old house and added new wings. After being owned for some years by a speculator, the house was sold in 1700 to John Egerton, 3rd Earl of Bridgewater, after which it passed by inheritance until 1948.Cleveland House was re-designed in the Palazzo style by Sir Charles Barry in 1840. The rebuilding was completed and renamed in 1854 for Lord Ellesmere, heir of the 3rd Duke of Bridgewater. It is built in Bath stone with a slate roof in three storeys with a basement.
The Queen's Chapel is a chapel in central London, England, that was designed by Inigo Jones and built between 1623 and 1625 as an external adjunct to St. James's Palace for Roman Catholic queen Henrietta Maria. It is one of the facilities of the British monarch's personal religious establishment, the Chapel Royal, and should not be confused with the 1540 building known as the Chapel Royal within the palace and just across Marlborough road.HistoryIt was built as a Roman Catholic chapel at a time when the construction of Catholic churches was prohibited in England, and was used by Charles I's Catholic queen Henrietta Maria. From the 1690s it was used by Continental Protestant courtiers. It was built as an integral part of St James's Palace, but when the adjacent private apartments burned down in 1809 they were not replaced and in 1856-57 Marlborough Road was built between the palace and the Queen's Chapel. The result is that physically the chapel now appears to be more part of the Marlborough House complex than of St James's Palace. It became a Chapel Royal again in 1938.Having been taken from the Royal Chapel of All Saints in Windsor Great Park, the body of Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother lay at the Queen's Chapel for several days during the preparations for her lying-in-state in Westminster Hall before her ceremonial funeral.
Embassy of Japan, London Distance: 0.4 miTourist Information Hell on Earth for Dolphins London, United Kingdom
The Embassy of Japan in London is the diplomatic mission of Japan in the United Kingdom. It occupies a large Victorian building on Piccadilly opposite Green Park, which is Grade II listed.
Hilton London Hyde Park Hotel Distance: 0.4 miTourist Information 129 Bayswater Road London, United Kingdom W2 4RJ
The Hilton London Hyde Park is a hotel situated on Bayswater Road, overlooking Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens in central London. It was opened in July 1999.The building was originally the Coburg Court Hotel, first opened in 1907, and it was later renamed the Coburg Hotel in the early 1960s.The Coburg Hotel was used as a filming location in Alfred Hitchcock's Frenzy (1972). Richard Blaney and Babs Milligan check into the Coburg as "Mr. and Mrs. Oscar Wilde". Filming took place at the hotel during September 1971. The interiors of the Coburg Hotel were mostly recreated at Pinewood Studios, except for the policemen's point-of-view shot showing the fire escape, which was filmed by assistant director Colin M. Brewer from a fifth-floor room.The current hotel is the first Hilton Hotels & Resorts hotel in London with a state-of-the-art meeting room featuring an interactive projection and speaker system.
Bavarian Village Distance: 0.6 miTourist Information Serpentine Road, Hyde Park London, United Kingdom W2 2UH