Lungadige Antonio Galtarossa, 11 Verona, Italy 37133
Community and Government Near Questura Di Verona
Verona Porta Nuova railway stationDistance: 0.9 miTourist Information Piazzale XXV Aprile, Verona Verona, 37138
Verona Porta Nuova is the main railway station of City of Verona. It is situated at Piazzale XXV Aprile ("25 April") and south of the city centre and River Adige (Etsch). The station is a 25-minute walk or 10-minute bus ride from the city centre and Arena di Verona. In 1852, the Austrian Empire's Südbahn opened Verona Porta Nuova, which has substantially been rebuilt between 1910 and 1922. Following the destruction by allied bombings during the Second World War, the present building was reconstructed between 1946 and 1949.Verona Porta Nuova station provides major connections to Italian and European destinations: it is a cross junction of two mainlines running from east to west and from north to south. The east-west Milan-Venice Railway intersects with the north-south Brenner Railway west of the station. The Brenner Railway continues southward to Bologna, Florence and Rome. The station handles 25 million passengers annually. After initial construction of the Milan-Verona-Venice high-speed railway, the section between Milan and Brescia was completed in June 2016.HistoryWelschbern under AustriaThe first train to arrive at Verona Porta Nuova station in 1852 was driven by the locomotive Verona on the newly-built railway from Venice which crossed River Adige (Etsch). In 1853, it became possible to operate trains from Verona to Mantua on a single-track line. In the same year, the Austrian Empire began construction of the Brenner Railway over the Brenner Pass at 1,371 m, connecting County of Tyrol and Kingdom of Lombardy-Venetia. The Brenner Railway was among Austria's first trans-alpine heavy railway along with the now defunct Franzensfeste-Marburg Railway (Fortezza in Italy and Maribor in Slovenia).
The Ponte Pietra, once known as the Pons Marmoreus, is a Roman arch bridge crossing the Adige River in Verona, Italy. The bridge was completed in 100 BC, and the Via Postumia from Genoa to Aquileia passed over it. It is the oldest bridge in Verona.It originally flanked another Roman bridge, the Pons Postumius; both structures provided the city with access to the Roman theatre on the east bank. The arch nearest to the right bank of the Adige was rebuilt in 1298 by Alberto I della Scala. Four arches of the bridge were blown up by retreating German troops in World War II, but rebuilt in 1957 with original materials.