The Upper Room, 8 Greenland Street London, United Kingdom NW1 0ND 020 3151 1750
Welcome to our classes on Monday nights:
- Level 1 @ 7.15pm
- Level 1.5 @ 8.15pm
Just a one minute walk from Camden Town tube station:
The Upper Room, (Old St Michael's Church Hall) 8 Greenland St NW1 0ND
We now run two fun and energetic classes every week. We first have a beginner-friendly class at 19:00 which is followed by our improver class, swinging out from 20:15. Come learn the joyful dances of the 1920′s, 30's and 40′s!
How our classes work and what we teach:
7:00pm – Level 1: Beginner-friendly swing dancing – start any time - £10 for the hour! We teach from the absolute basics each week – you don’t need any experience, or a partner, just turn up ready for an hour of fun!
8:15pm – Level 1.5 – £10, or £5 if you do level 1 first.
This class assumes knowledge of the basic rhythms covered in our level one class & heads into more technically challenging content that aims to really push your dancing, while also embracing the joy of Lindy Hop! We will also be using this class to learn some classic solo routines, so look out for that on our class plan (http://www.swingpatrol.co.uk/camden-class-plan/) and updates on our Facebook page!
What is the Lindy hop?
Lindy hop is the original form of swing dancing that we teach in our classes. It was created and danced to the sounds of big band jazz from the 1920's, 30's and 40's. It is a unique partner dance for anyone and everyone and can be danced to all tempo's - fast, slow and anything in between.
The most famous and extreme footage of swing dancing to date is the Helzapoppin' clip - check it out - Amazing!
To really know what the lindy hop is you will have to come and try it out for yourself, we look forward to seeing you next Monday 7pm at our beautiful venue. All welcome! :)
- Carter and Fiona
Studios feature sprung floors and hard wooden floors, floor to ceiling mirrors, sony sound systems compatible with all devices, upright piano, stage piano, natural light, roof balcony, cafe and changing facilities.
Dance Studio One - 5.5m x 18m - sprung floors - £39.50 per hour
Dance Studio Two - 5.5m x 5.5m - hardwood floors - £22.50 per hour
Dance Studio Three - 5.5m x 8m - laminate floors - £30 per hour
Discounts for off-peak hours, 10am - 5pm Monday to Thursdays - all studios half price!
Book online at www.academydancestudios.com
We also hire out our music rooms, please visit www.northlondonmusicacademy.com for more information.
In the heart of Camden the "The Office Studio" offer you the space you need for your rehearsals, workshops, privates and group classes.
Open 7 days a week, find prices starting from £10 per hour and good discounts on block bookings.
Studio 8x6 m, capacity 20 people, provided with sprung wooden floor,high ceiling, mirrors, sound system and toilets.
Really well serviced by public transport and easy parking in surrounding streets and and possibility of parking in the complex subject to availability.
Feel free to call us on 0207485 4844 to know more information about it!!
It's a blast from the past! Work up a sweat with a touch of nostalgia in my heart-pumping, traditional aerobics class.
Open to all abilities, cardio work to your favourite 90s tunes followed by core stability exercises and floor work to tone up every muscle whilst having fun!
NEW DANCE CLASSES WILL START SEPTEMBER 9th 2014.
With Jenny Thomas and Tony Jackson.
7.30 - 8.15pm - Level 1 - Absolute beginners 6 count swing
8.15 - 9.00pm - Level 2 - Beg/Inter 8 count introduction to Lindy Hop
9.00 - 9.45pm - Level 3 - Inter/Advanced Lindy Hop, Patterns, Syncopations and Musicality
9.45 - 10.30 - Practice to Big Band Swing, Jive and music from the 30's and 40's
No Partner or dance experience required.
All drop in classes, no need to book in Advance.
1 class only £8
Any 2 classes £12
All 3 classes £15
Dance practice time included in the price
Teenage Contemporary Dance Company at Islington Arts Factorystarting at 5.30pm-7.00pm 2013-2014
Urban Dance Level 1 age7-9 at 4.30 until 5.15
Urban Dance Level 2 age10-12 at 5.15 until 6.15
At Islington Arts Factory we teach ballet and contemporary as our core dance subjects, enabling the children to develop strength and coordination in order to express themselves and be safe. We recommend that all children take a weekly ballet class. We don;t enter children for exams so there's no pressure, they progress at their own pace with the support of teachers, allowing us to take a more creative and personal approach to their tuition.
This is a creative and vibrant dance class for young people where Funk meets Hip Hop, Jazz, and Afro Street Fusion to create a landscape of rich rhythms and beats. Express yourself through lively animated choreography that will introduce you to a range of new and snazzy dance moves so that you can perform !
Swing dancing is a truly fun dance which embraces Lindy Hop and Charleston capturing the 1920s 30s and 40s.
Come down and join Cat Foley & James Joseph Horada, Every Monday at The Islington Arts Factory, only moments away from Holloway Station. All are welcome! You can come down any week and learn! You don't need a partner! You don't need any prior knowledge of dancing! Just be prepared to have a lot of fun!
James and Cat teach a 1 hour class (level 1) from 8pm every week, which welcomes total beginners, offering a basic knowledge and grounding of the lindy hop, and from 9pm improvers with a bit of experience under their belts are welcome to join our second class (level 1.5)..
The Islington Arts Factory is on Parkhouse Road and is about 10 minutes walk from Holloway Road Station. There are also plenty of buses going to this part of town.
You can find all video class notes here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_dNd-7fMAc&list=PL4isWHUrZ0ZOiKlftPdOmCY5rOpC-8-mw
Classes in Drama, Dance & Singing! Theatretrain is for children between the ages of 4 and 18yrs.
TT Mini's 11.30am-1pm for 4-5yrs
Main School 2pm - 5pm for 6-18yrs
All Theatretrain children appear in either a West End or a Local Theatre every year.
Tuition every Saturday in term time.
No auditions - just lots of enthusiasm!
Join in and have the time of your life! Your chance to learn how to perform in front of thousands on a London stage. Or even the O2 Arena!!
Follow us on Twitter @TT_Camden
Read our blog http://theatretraincamden.tumblr.com
The Chiltern Firehouse is a restaurant and hotel located at 1 Chiltern Street, Marylebone, London, England occupying the Grade II listed building of the former Marylebone Fire Station, also known as Manchester Square Fire Station. It is owned by André Balazs, a hotel chain owner, who also owns the Chateau Marmont Hotel in Los Angeles, California and The Mercer Hotel in New York City. The head chef is Nuno Mendes.Manchester Square Fire StationThe Manchester Square Fire Station was built in 1889, by the London County Council Architect's Department, "in the Vulliamy manner". "Red brick with stone dressings; tiled roof. Free Tudor-Gothic style". It initially served as a fire station, and was one of the first fire stations in London. The original architect was Robert Pearsall. Originally known as Manchester Square Fire Station (Manchester Square is nearby), it was decommissioned in June 2005 by the London Fire and Emergency Planning Authority. For some years subsequently, it had been in occasional use as an exhibition space for local artists, as there was a long and complex planning process to convert it to a luxury hotel and restaurant. David Archer of Archer Humphryes Architects acted as lead architect for the project.
The Embassy of Sweden in London is the diplomatic mission of Sweden in the United Kingdom. It is located by Montagu Square in Marylebone, just down the road from the embassy of Switzerland, and has housed the Swedish embassy since 1983.The Swedish ambassador's residence is located is a separate building at 27 Portland Place. Sweden also maintains a Trade Council at 259-269 Old Marylebone Road, Marylebone.
Pollock's Toy Museum is a small museum in London, England.It was started in 1956 in a single attic room at 44 Monmouth Street, near Covent Garden, above Benjamin Pollock's Toy Shop, where Pollock's Toy Theatres were also sold. As the enterprise flourished, other rooms were taken over for the museum and the ground floor became a toyshop. By 1969 the collection had outgrown the Monmouth Street premises and Pollock's Toy Museum moved to 1 Scala Street, with a museum shop on the ground floor to contribute to its support. The museum continues today to be run by the grandson of the founder Marguerite Fawdry.
The Cleveland Street Workhouse is a Georgian property in Cleveland Street, Marylebone, built between 1775 and 1778 for the care of the sick and poor of the parish of St Paul Covent Garden under the Old Poor Law. From 1836, it became the workhouse of the Strand Union of parishes. The building remained in operation until 2005 after witnessing the complex evolution of the healthcare system in England. After functioning as a workhouse, the building became a workhouse infirmary before being acquired by the Middlesex Hospital and finally falling under the NHS. It the last century it was known as the Middlesex Hospital Annexe and the Outpatient Department. It closed to the public in 2005 and it has since been vacated. On 14 March 2011 the entire building became Grade II Listed.OriginThe Cleveland Street Workhouse was built on an H plan on the eastern side of Cleveland Street between 1775 and 1778 by the parish of St Paul Covent Garden, on land leased from the Bedford Estate. The construction of the building resulted from the intercession of the Duke of Bedford’s steward Robert Palmer, who together with Duchess Gertrude planned and realized the construction of Bedford Square and Gower Street.The original Act of Parliament was obtained in May 1775. The building was initially designed to accommodate 200 paupers, but the plan was modified prior to construction to accommodate a greater number.
RADA Studios is a theatrical venue in Chenies Street in the London Borough of Camden, just to the east of Tottenham Court Road, owned by the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art .The venue contains rehearsal rooms and meeting rooms, and two small theatres - the 200-seat Studio Theatre, and the 50-seat Club Theatre.History and Drill HallThe venue was built in 1882 as a drill hall for the Bloomsbury Rifles - the architect was Samuel Knight. It has a notable artistic history: in the 1900s, Diaghilev and the Ballets Russes rehearsed there. During World War II it was used for Ralph Reader's Gang Shows. In the 1960s it was used as an art gallery for the Tate Gallery’s exhibition of the McAlpine Collection.The venue started to be used as an arts centre for Bloomsbury and Fitzrovia in 1977, and became a theatre, the Drill Hall, in the 1980s after many years of being used as a rehearsal hall. From 1984, the Drill Hall particularly supported production of theatrical and artistic works with gay and lesbian themes. In 2007, the Drill Hall, with an annual turnover of £1.25 million, was supported with £250,000 of Arts Council funding, but late in 2007, the Arts Council announced it was withdrawing this funding to concentrate its funding on other ventures. (Similar fates befell 194 other arts organisations.)
The Kenya High Commission in London was established in 1963 to pursue Kenya’s national interest in the United Kingdom, the International Maritime Organization and the commonwealth. The Mission has the mandate to forge closer relations between the people of Kenya and the people of United Kingdom in pursuit of deeper bilateral and multilateral cooperation in trade and investments, culture, science and technology as well as other fields for mutual benefit.The High Commission is housed in one of a group of Grade II* listed buildings in Portland Place.
Das Institute of Classical Studies ist eine Forschungseinrichtung auf dem Gebiet der Sprachen, Literaturen, Geschichte, Kunstgeschichte, der Archäologie und der Philosophie des griechischen und römischen Altertums und Teil der School of Advanced Study der Universität London.Das Institute of Classical Studies wurde 1953 vom Senat der Universität als Kooperation mit der Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies und der Society for the Promotion of Hellenic Studies gegründet. Zu den Mitbegründern zählt der Altphilologe und Klassische Archäologe T. B. L. Webster. Zum Institut gehört die Joint Library der beiden Societies und des Institute. Im Jahr 1958 wechselten das Institute und die Societies von ihrem anfänglichen Sitz in 50, Bedford Square in ein neues, eigens für sie errichtetes Gebäude, in 31–34, Gordon Square, gegenüber dem Warburg Institute, eine Adresse, die in Großbritannien als nationales Hauptquartier der Altertumswissenschaften galt. Im August 1997 zogen das Institute und die Societies erneut um, diesmal in das historische Gebäude des Senate House der Universität.Vom Institute of Classical Studies wird die Fachzeitschrift Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies herausgegeben.Direktoren des Institute Reginald Pepys Winnington-Ingram (1964–1967) Eric Handley (1967–1984) John Penrose Barron (1984–1991) Richard Sorabji (1991–1996) Michael J. Edwards (1996–2011) John A. North (2012–2014) Greg Woolf (seit 2015)
The Embassy of Poland in London (Ambasada Rzeczypospolitej Polskiej w Londynie) is the diplomatic mission of Poland in the United Kingdom. It is located on Portland Place next to the High Commission of Kenya building. It forms part of a group of Grade II* listed buildings in Portland Place.History Involving the Embassy of Poland in London, Main Chancery BuildingShortly after regaining independence in 1918, there seemed to be a general feeling of ambivalence towards Britain demonstrated by most Polish statesmen, as if they were neglecting British relations, who played a major role in helping to re-establish the post-World War I - Second Polish Republic. However, with newly-restored independence, the country's government instead concentrated on shoring up good relations with traditional ally France, and immediate neighbour Germany.As a result of this focus, it was not until 1929 that the first Polish legation was sent to establish a permanent embassy in London. The establishment of this Polish embassy building in London would go on to play one of the most important roles of Poland's history.By the late 1930s when world war was once again becoming inevitable, the government of the Second Polish Republic requested the necessary military aid from the British government; as Poland was still rebuilding civilian infrastructure from the aftermath of World War I. The government also signed a three-way mutual defence pact with the United Kingdom and France with the original intent being to make sure an independent and sovereign, democratic Poland would never again have to stand alone against a German invasion. Thus, much of the bureaucracy surrounding these pre-war pacts found itself centred in the halls and corridors of number 47, Portland Place.
New College of the Humanities is an independent, primarily undergraduate college in London, England, UK, founded by the philosopher A.C. Grayling, who became its first Master. From September 2012 it offered tuition in economics, English, history, law and philosophy and politics and international relations for undergraduate degrees with the University of London International Programme. It now runs its own degree programmes, modelled on American liberal arts college courses where students study a major and a minor subject, validated by Southampton Solent University. It continues to offer a law degree through the University of London. In addition, it requires all undergraduate students to work towards a "Diploma of New College of the Humanities" by completing courses drawn from applied ethics, critical reasoning, science literacy and LAUNCH, its professional development programme In 2016 NCH announced that it would be offering its first postgraduate qualification, the Historical Research and Public History MA starting in September 2016. This Masters programme has been designed by Dr Suzannah Lipscomb, Head of Faculty and Senior Lecturer in Early Modern History. It is validated by Swansea University. The college uses its own building, The Registry, and some of the University of London's teaching and student facilities, including Senate House Library and the Institute of Advanced Legal Studies, all in the Bloomsbury district of London.
Marylebone Gardens Distance: 1.2 miTourist Information 35 Marylebone High Street London, United Kingdom w1u 4qa
Marylebone or Marybone Gardens was a London pleasure garden sited in the grounds of the old manor house of Marylebone and frequented from the mid-17th century, when Marylebone was a village separated from London by fields and market gardens, to the third quarter of the 18th century.Early historyIt was situated in the area which is now between Marylebone Road, Marylebone High Street, Weymouth Street, and Harley Street; its site was developed as Beaumont Street and part of Devonshire Street.Originally consisting of two bowling greens adjoining the Rose of Normandy tavern on the east side of Marylebone High Street, its size was increased to about eight acres by acquisition of land from Marylebone Manor House, which had been converted into a hunting lodge by Henry VIII and was later used as a boarding school, eventually being demolished in 1791. The Marylebone Gardens, surrounded by a high brick wall and set about with fruit trees, had a carriage entrance in the High Street of Marylebone village and another entrance from the fields at the back. Its center was an open oval bowling green encompassed by a wide gravelled walk and many smaller walks and greens surrounded by clipped quickset hedges, "kept in good order, and indented like town walls."
221B Baker Street is the London address of the fictional detective Sherlock Holmes, created by author Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. In the United Kingdom, postal addresses with a number followed by a letter may indicate a separate address within a larger, often residential building. Baker Street in Holmes' time was a high-class residential district, and Holmes' apartment was probably part of a Georgian terrace.At the time the Holmes stories were published, addresses in Baker Street did not go as high as 221. Baker Street was later extended, and in 1932 the Abbey National Building Society moved into premises at 219–229 Baker Street. For many years, Abbey National employed a full-time secretary to answer mail addressed to Sherlock Holmes. In 1990, a blue plaque signifying 221B Baker Street was installed at the Sherlock Holmes Museum, situated elsewhere on the same block, and there followed a 15-year dispute between Abbey National and the Holmes Museum for the right to receive mail addressed to 221B Baker Street. Since the closure of Abbey House in 2005, ownership of the address by the Holmes Museum has not been challenged, despite its location between 237 and 241 Baker Street.Conan Doyle's intentionsWe met next day as he had arranged, and inspected the rooms at No. 221B, Baker Street, of which he had spoken at our meeting. They consisted of a couple of comfortable bed-rooms and a single large airy sitting-room, cheerfully furnished, and illuminated by two broad windows.(Arthur Conan Doyle, A Study in Scarlet, 1887)
Regent's Place Distance: 0.9 miTourist Information 10 Brock Street London, United Kingdom NW1 3
Regent's Place is a mixed use business and retail and residential quarter on the north side of Euston Road in the London Borough of Camden. The site is also bounded by Osnaburgh Street to the west, Longford and Drummond Streets to the north, and Hampstead Road to the east.Regent's Place was developed by British Land from an earlier speculative property development 'Euston Centre' that included Euston Tower one of the first high-rise office developments in the West End. The tower is at the south western corner of the Regent's Place estate. The 'Euston Centre' scheme was developed between 1962 and 1972 designed by Sidney Kaye. Originally the scheme was for a series of medium rise blocks but to create space for underpass and road junction the LCC gave approval for the high-rise Euston Tower.Work by British Land commenced in 1996. The first stage involved the demolition of the head office and studios of the former ITV company Thames Television and the subsequent development of the central part of the site and much of the Euston Road frontage, with four new office buildings and a pedestrian plaza called Triton Square. One of these buildings called 2-3 Triton Square was a new headquarters for what was then the UK's fifth largest bank by gross assets, Abbey National. The lower levels of Euston Tower were modernised at the same time. The development includes a shopping mall and an open space Triton Square that includes art features by Langlands and Bell. The developers also commissioned a large mural by Michael Craig-Martin a lighting scheme by Liam Gillick and a smaller sculptural installation by Antony Gormley.
Carreras Cigarette Factory Distance: 0.3 miTourist Information 180 Hampstead road, London NW1 7AW London, United Kingdom
The Carreras Cigarette Factory is a large art deco building in Camden, London in the United Kingdom. It is noted as a striking example of early 20th Century Egyptian Revival architecture. The building was erected in 1926-28 by the Carreras Tobacco Company owned by the Russian-Jewish inventor and philanthropist Bernhard Baron on the communal garden area of Mornington Crescent, to a design by architects M.E and O.H Collins and A.G Porri. It is 550 feet (168 metres) long, and is mainly white,The building's distinctive Egyptian-style ornamentation originally included a solar disc to the Sun-god Ra, two gigantic effigies of black cats flanking the entrance and colourful painted details. When the factory was converted into offices in 1961 the Egyptian detailing was lost, but it was restored during a renovation in the late 1990s and replicas of the cats were placed outside the entrance.
This is the official place page for ZSL London Zoo.
The Zoo, located in the north east corner of London’s Regent’s Park, is open every day of the year except Christmas Day.
St Michael's Church, Camden Town Distance: 0.1 miTourist Information Camden Road London, United Kingdom NW1 9
St Michael's Church is the principal Anglican church for Camden Town in north London. The present building, designed by George Frederick Bodley and Thomas Garner in a Gothic Revival style, dates to the late 19th century.HistoryThe congregation was begun in 1881 at a building nearby which now houses a betting shop ; a service was held in the shop to begin the celebrations for the church's 125th anniversary in 2002.The present building was the first London church designed by Bodley and Garner and is built of brick with stone dressings in the decorated Gothic style. The nave was completed in 1881 and the chancel added and consecrated in 1894 under its first vicar, Father Edward Penfold. A north west tower was planned but never built. The interior has a continuous, stenciled waggon ceiling covering both nave and chancel, and a vaulted north chapel. The west front was restored in 2005 and a new roof was completed in August 2007. The church is Grade II* listed, for its interior.In 1954 the parish of St Michael's subsumed those of All Saints, Camden Town (which had become a Greek Orthodox church in 1948) and St.Thomas, Agar Town, Wrotham Road (whose 1864 building was demolished due to war damage). In 2003 St Michael's became part of the St Pancras Team Ministry, with St Pancras Old Church, St Mary's Church, Somers Town, and St Paul's Church, Camden Square.
Dingwalls Distance: 0.3 miTourist Information 11 Middle Yard, Camden Lock London, United Kingdom NW1 8AB
Dingwalls is now a 500 capacity venue adjacent to Camden Lock, Camden, London, England. The venue hosts gigs and a weekly Comedy Loft comedy club. The building itself is one of many industrial Victorian buildings that were put to new use in the 20th century. The original owner of the building, T.E. Dingwall, had his name painted on to the outside wall of the building, which was a common practice by businesses in Camden Town during the late Victorian era. The paint is still visible to this day, hence the venue's name.HistoryFirst launched as the newly developed Camden Lock's flagship venue in the summer of 1973. Dingwalls Dancehall was open to all - "reasonably priced at half a bar for entry", providing the longest bar in London (at the time), near-pub price drinks and New York-style burgers and chickpeas. It wasn't a club, yet stayed open till 2am, hosting acts such as funk band Gonzalez, and pub rockers Kilburn and the High Roads. Reviewed in one music paper the first summer, it was immediately recognised as plugging the "vast gap in the social and financial standings of various venues", where you can "eat, drink, boogie and listen to a live set during an evening which lasts till two"... "late enough for most people" (those were the days!) - and "excellent bands are to be found there".Music was first managed by former Hendrix road manager Howard 'H' Parker. Following Parker's death, Dave 'The Boss' Goodman, who also doubled as chef and DJ, took over from the mid 1970s to mid 1980s.At some point in the 1980s, it ceased to present live shows - the premises taken over by the Lock market.