Samatya is a neighborhood of the Fatih district of Istanbul. It is located along the Marmara Sea, and borders to the west on the neighborhood of Yedikule .EtymologyThe name originates from the Greek word psamathion, meaning "sandy", because of the great quantity of sand found in the neighborhood.HistoryAbout 383 AD, the first monastic institution was established in Constantinople, at Psamatheia, at that time still outside the walled city.Up to recent times, Samatya was mostly inhabited by Armenians, who were settled here in 1458 by Sultan Mehmet II, and who own there the church of Surp Kevork, also called Sulu Manastiri (Water's monastery) – previously an Eastern Orthodox church which dates back to before the Ottoman conquest, and by Greeks, who have the churches of Hristos Analipsis and Haghios Menas.The neighborhood was destroyed in 1782 by one of the largest fires of Istanbul ever recorded.Samatya todayIn Samatya there is also an important public hospital, the İstanbul Eğitim ve Araştırma Hastanesi.Samatya has a station (named "Kocamustafapaşa") on the suburban railway line Sirkeci-Halkalı.
DolapdereDistance: 3.4 miTourist Information Dolapdere uşşaki Sobethanesi Istanbul, Turkey 34432
Dolapdere is a quarter of Beyoğlu district in central Istanbul, Turkey. It is surrounded by the quarters of Taksim, Kasımpaşa, Pangaltı and Kurtuluş.Sites There is a museum dedicated to the memory of Adam Mickiewicz, the 19th century Polish poet, located in the center of Dolapdere. Mickiewicz died in 1855 of cholera while visiting a military camp near Constantinople. He had come to Turkey to raise soldiers for the war against Russia by the help of Ottoman Empire as the Ottomans were known as true, brave and strong warriors. The Ottomans even helped Adam out more by giving him 50,000 of the Ottoman troops to face Russia in the battle as the Poles were not strong enough. The Dolapdere Campus of Bilgi University is located in this area.
Yeni Safak GazetesiDistance: 2.6 miTourist Information Yeni Doğan Mah. Kızılay Sok. No:39 Bayrampaşa/İstanbul Istanbul, Turkey 34030
Okmeydanı DörtyolDistance: 3.3 miTourist Information Fatih Sultan Mehmet caddesiii Istanbul, Turkey
Gülhane ParkDistance: 2.5 miTourist Information Cankurtaran Mahallesi, Gülhane, Fatih Istanbul, Turkey 34112
Gülhane Parkı, İstanbul'un Fatih ilçesinin Eminönü semtinde yer alan tarihî bir parktır. Alay Köşkü, Topkapı Sarayı ve Sarayburnu arasında yer alır.TarihGülhane Parkı, Osmanlı İmparatorluğu döneminde Topkapı Sarayı'nın dış bahçesiydi ve içinde bir koru ve gül bahçelerini barındırırdı. Türk tarihinde demokratikleşmenin ilk somut adımı olan Tanzimat Fermanı, 3 Kasım 1839'da Abdülmecit döneminde Hariciye Nazırı Mustafa Reşit Paşa tarafından Gülhane Parkı'nda okunmuştur ve bu nedenle Gülhane Hatt-ı Hümayunu da denir.İstanbul şehremini operatör Cemil Paşa (Topuzlu) zamanında düzenlenerek 1912 yılında park haline getirildi ve halka açıldı. Toplam alanı 163 dönüm kadardır. Parkın girişinde sağ tarafta İstanbul şehremini ve belediye başkanlarının büstleri vardır. Parkın ortasından iki yanı ağaçlı yol geçer. Bu yolun sağında ve solunda dinlenme yerleri, çocuk bahçesi bulunmaktadır. Boğaza doğru kıvrılarak inen yokuşun hemen sağında bir Aşık Veysel heykeli, yokuşun sonuna doğru biraz üst kısımda ise Romalılardan kalma Gotlar Sütunu vardır.
İstanbul Sultan Ahmet MeydanıDistance: 2.3 miTourist Information Sultanahmet Mh., At Meydanı No:7, Fatih Istanbul, Turkey 34122 <>
Eminönü is a former district of Istanbul in Turkey, now a neighbourhood of Fatih district. This is the heart of the walled city of Constantine, the focus of a history of incredible richness. Eminönü covers roughly the area on which the ancient Byzantium was built. The Galata Bridge crosses the Golden Horn into Eminönü and the mouth of the Bosphorus opens into the Marmara Sea. And up on the hill stands Topkapı Palace, the Blue Mosque (Sultanahmet Camii) and Hagia Sophia (Aya Sofya). Thus Eminönü is the main tourist destination in Istanbul. It was a part of the Fatih district until 1928, which covered the whole peninsular area (the old Stamboul) within the Roman city walls - that area which was formerly the Byzantine capital Constantinople. Since the resident population of Eminönü is low today, it rejoined the Fatih district in 2009.HistoryThe Golden Horn was a natural port, particularly the Eminönü/Sirkeci shore, which being on a peninsula was also eminently defensible. It was this location that led to the foundation of Byzantium, and from here that the city grew, with the oldest neighbourhoods being the port districts along the Golden Horn. In the 12th century, the Byzantine port was also occupied by merchants from Venice, Amalfi, Genoa and Pisa, who eventually acquired their own wharfs and waterfront districts.
Dikilitaş - ZeytinburnuDistance: 1.2 miTourist Information Telsiz mah 85 sok no 61@ Zeytinburnu, Turkey 34020 <>
Hippodrome of ConstantinopleDistance: 2.2 miTourist Information çukurçeşme sokağı Istanbul, Turkey 34122
The Hippodrome of Constantinople was a circus that was the sporting and social centre of Constantinople, capital of the Byzantine Empire. Today it is a square named Sultanahmet Meydanı in the Turkish city of Istanbul, with a few fragments of the original structure surviving.The word hippodrome comes from the Greek hippos, horse, and dromos, path or way. For this reason, it is sometimes also called Atmeydanı in Turkish. Horse racing and chariot racing were popular pastimes in the ancient world and hippodromes were common features of Greek cities in the Hellenistic, Roman and Byzantine eras.History and useAlthough the Hippodrome is usually associated with Constantinople's days of glory as an imperial capital, it actually predates that era. The first Hippodrome was built when the city was called Bysantium, and was a provincial town of moderate importance. In AD 203 the Emperor Septimius Severus rebuilt the city and expanded its walls, endowing it with a hippodrome, an arena for chariot races and other entertainment.In AD 324, the Emperor Constantine the Great decided to move the seat of the government from Rome to Byzantium, which he renamed Nova Roma (New Rome). This name failed to impress and the city soon became known as Constantinople, the City of Constantine. Constantine greatly enlarged the city, and one of his major undertakings was the renovation of the Hippodrome. It is estimated that the Hippodrome of Constantine was about 450m long and 130m wide. Its stands were capable of holding 100,000 spectators.
St. Anthony of Padua Church, alternatively known as the Sant'Antonio di Padova Church, S. Antonio di Padova, St. Antoine, or locally as Sent Antuan, is a basilica and the largest church of the Roman Catholic Church in Istanbul, Turkey. It is located at İstiklal Avenue No. 171 in the Beyoğlu district.Along with the Cathedral of the Holy Spirit (1846) in the Harbiye district, St. Louis of the French (1581) and Santa Maria Draperis in Beyoğlu, Sts. Peter and Paul (1841) in Galata, Assumption Church in the Moda quarter of Kadıköy, St. Stephen in Yeşilköy and Bakırköy Church in Bakırköy, St. Anthony of Padua is one of the most important Catholic churches in Istanbul, and among them has the largest community following its Masses.The original St. Anthony of Padua Church was built in 1725 by the local Italian community of Istanbul, but was later demolished and replaced with the current building which was constructed on the same location. The current St. Anthony of Padua, along with its adjacent buildings (known as the St. Antoine Apartmanları) on İstiklal Avenue, was built between 1906 and 1912 in the Venetian Neo-Gothic style, and was likewise edificed by the local Italian community of the city, mostly of Genoese and Venetian descent, who amounted to 40,000 people at the turn of the 20th century. The building was designed by the Istanbulite Levantine architect Giulio Mongeri, who also designed many other important buildings in Istanbul and Ankara; such as the Maçka Palas (which houses Armani Café and Gucci) in Nişantaşı and the Neo-Byzantine style Karaköy Palas bank building in Karaköy (Galata), Istanbul; as well as the first headquarters of Türkiye İş Bankası in Ankara.
Church of St. George of Samatya Distance: 0.1 miTourist Information Marmara caddesi Samatya, Turkey 34098
Saint George of Samatya or Surp Kevork is an Armenian church in Istanbul.The edifice, built between 1866 and 1887, has been erected above the substructure of a Byzantine church and monastery built in the eleventh century. The complex, dedicated to St. Mary Peribleptos was one of the most important Greek Orthodox monasteries in Constantinople. After the Ottoman conquest of the city in 1453 it was ceded to the Armenian community in Istanbul, and became for a period the seat of the Armenian Patriarchate of Constantinople.LocationThe church is located in Istanbul, in the district of Fatih, in the neighbourhood of Kocamustafapaşa (historically Samatya), at Marmara Caddesi 79. It lies inside the walled city, at a short distance from the shore of the Sea of Marmara. The building is protected by a high wall, and surrounded by other edifices.HistoryByzantine periodIn the fifth century on this place stood the church of Hagios Stephanos en tais Aurelianai. This church was located near the Helenianai Palace and the monastery of St. Dalmatios, close to an abundant water source (Hagiasma). From this source, still existing, originates the Turkish name of the complex ("Water Monastery").
Hekimoğlu Ali Paşa Parkı Şehzade Cafe Distance: 0.1 miTourist Information Hekimoğlu Ali Paşa Parkı Istanbul, Turkey
Gunbilir Balik Restaurant Distance: 0.1 miTourist Information Hacı Hüseyin Ağa Mah. Eski Kulluk Sok.No:18 Samatya/ist. (Develi Kebap Yanı) Istanbul, Turkey 34098 0212 529 26 45
Ünlütaş Peynircilik 1981 Yılında Remzi Karataş tarafından MERTER Semtinde Kurulmuştur.İnsanlarımıza Kalite ve Saygı çerçevesinde hizmet veren ÜNLÜTAŞ PEYNİRCİLİK,1985 Yılında KOCAMUSTAFAPAŞA Semtinde bu hizmete devam etmektedir...
Samatya Eğitim Ve Araştırma Hastanesi Distance: 0.2 miTourist Information Samatya Istanbul, Turkey 34098