Marble Arch is a London Underground station in the City of Westminster. The station is between Lancaster Gate and Bond Street stations on the Central line, and is in Travelcard Zone 1.HistoryThe station was opened on 30 July 1900 by the Central London Railway (CLR).Like all the original stations on the CLR, Marble Arch was served by lifts to the platforms but the station was reconstructed in the early 1930s to accommodate escalators. This saw the closure of the original station building, designed by the architect Harry Bell Measures, that was situated on the corner of Quebec Street and Oxford Street, and a replacement sub-surface ticket hall opened further to the west. The new arrangements came into use on 15 August 1932. The original surface building was later demolished.The platforms, originally lined in plain white tiles, were refitted with decorative vitreous enamel panels in 1985. The panel graphics were designed by Annabel Grey.The station was modernised (2010) resulting in new finishes in all areas of the station, apart from the retention of various of the decorative enamel panels at platform level.The station todayThe station is named after the Marble Arch nearby and is located at the north east side of the Marble Arch junction, at the western end of Oxford Street.
Brilliantly located, the bustle of Paddington is a short stroll away, while the green expanse of Hyde Park, perfect for families, is equally close. The bohemian delights of Notting Hill and Portobello Market are just to the west. And within minutes you're in Oxford Street's legendary stores.
A traditional English pub beautifully refurbed for 2011. Now offering double, twin, and shared 4, 6 and 8 bed dorms. Situated within walking distance of all tourist attractions including Hyde Park, Oxford St, Soho, Covent Garden, Notting Hill and Portobello markets. We pride ourselves on the safe, clean and fun environment we provide for all our guests at great value for money. The pub serves excellent freshly cooked food which you can get at a discounted rate as our guest. The free breakfast is great, no boring continental breakfast - a full cooked English breakfast served down in the bar every day! We take a £20 deposit at check in for linen and keys. At check out this is fully refunded to the guest with the return of both keys and linen.
Paddington has been redeveloped substantially over its life to make it better for passengers while preserving its character and the essence of its iconic design. Owned and operated by Network Rail.
All the history of the station at networkrail.co.uk/VirtualArchive/paddington-station
Paddington is an area within the City of Westminster, in central London. Formerly a metropolitan borough, it was integrated with Westminster and Greater London in 1965. Three important landmarks of the district are Paddington station, designed by the celebrated engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel and opened in 1847; St Mary's Hospital; and Paddington Green Police Station (the most important high-security police station in the United Kingdom).A major project called Paddington Waterside aims to regenerate former railway and canal land between 1998 and 2018, and the area is seeing many new developments.HistoryThe earliest extant references to Padington, historically a part of Middlesex, appear in documentation of purported 10th-century land grants to the monks of Westminster by Edgar the Peaceful as confirmed by Archbishop Dunstan. However, the documents' provenance is much later and likely to have been forged after the 1066 Norman conquest. There is no mention of the place (or Westbourne or Knightsbridge) in the Domesday Book of 1086. It has been reasonably speculated that a Saxon settlement was located around the intersection of the northern and western Roman roads, corresponding with the Edgware Road (Watling Street) and the Harrow and Uxbridge Roads. A more reliable 12th-century document cited by the cleric Isaac Maddox (1697–1759) establishes that part of the land was held by brothers "Richard and William de Padinton".
Apsley House, also known as Number One, London, is the London townhouse of the Dukes of Wellington. It stands alone at Hyde Park Corner, on the south-east corner of Hyde Park, facing south towards the busy traffic roundabout in the centre of which stands the Wellington Arch. It is a Grade I listed building.It is sometimes referred to as the Wellington Museum. The house is now run by English Heritage and is open to the public as a museum and art gallery, exhibiting 83 paintings from the Spanish royal collection. The 9th Duke of Wellington retains the use of part of the buildings. It is perhaps the only preserved example of an English aristocratic town house from its period. The practice has been to maintain the rooms as far as possible in the original style and decor. It contains the 1st Duke's collection of paintings, porcelain, the silver centrepiece made for the Duke in Portugal, c. 1815, sculpture and furniture. Antonio Canova's heroic marble nude of Napoleon as Mars the Peacemaker made 1802–10, holding a gilded Nike in the palm of his right hand, and standing to the raised left hand holding a staff. It was set up for a time in the Louvre and was bought by the Government for Wellington in 1816 (according to Nikolaus Pevsner) and stands in Adam's Stairwell.
No.4 Hamilton Place is as much about exceptional details as it is about an exceptional location. Not only is the building itself listed the bow windows and the baroque staircase are too, though those features are stunning, there is arguably even more delight in the very fine Edwardian details – from the door handles, Louis XVI gilt cornicing and chandeliers, right down to the magnificent window latches.
No.4 Hamilton Place may have an air of old luxury, but as far as service, comfort and technology are concerned, our guests demand the highest standards and services.
The eagerly awaited new gaming and entertainment venue spread over two floors, brings the Iconic Playboy Bunny back to Mayfair, 30 years after she left town.
Traditional table games with Bunny dealers coupled with the latest in electronic roulette and slots will be the place to place your bets.
The Ground floor has been designed to provide sexy yet sophisticated entertainment.
The highly acclaimed Salvatore Calabrese brings a mix of high class cocktails in his self titled bar, a great way to start your evening or end your day.
Want something with a little more energy, Baroque has the best of London's table service, naturally served by a Playboy Bunny.
Playboy Club London will be exclusive to members and offer the ultimate fora London entertainment venue, 24 hours a day.
To register your interest in membership visit www.playboyclublondon.com
Playboy Club Mayfair Distance: 1.4 miTourist Information 14 Old Park Lane, London, United Kingdom London, United Kingdom
The Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain is a memorial in London dedicated to Diana, Princess of Wales, who died in a car crash in 1997. It was designed to express Diana's spirit and love of children.The fountain is located in the southwest corner of Hyde Park, just south of the Serpentine lake and east of the Serpentine Gallery. Its cornerstone was laid in September 2003 and it was officially opened on 6 July 2004 by Queen Elizabeth II. Also present were Diana's younger brother Charles Spencer, her ex-husband Prince Charles, and her sons William and Harry.DesignThe fountain was designed by Kathryn Gustafson, an American landscape artist, and cost £3.6 million. Gustafson said she had wanted the fountain, which was built to the south of the Serpentine, to be accessible and to reflect Diana's "inclusive" personality. Gustafson said: "Above all I hope that it provides a fitting memorial for the princess and does credit to the amazing person that she was."ConstructionThe 545 individual pieces of Cornish granite were cut using sophisticated computer-guided cutting machines by S. McConnell & Sons, in Kilkeel, Northern Ireland.
The Athenaeum Hotel & Apartments | Luxury 5 Star Hotel In Mayfair Distance: 1.4 miTourist Information 116 Piccadilly London, United Kingdom W1J 7BJ
Marina Abramovic 512 Hours at Serpentine Gallery Distance: 1.4 miTourist Information Serpentine Gallery, Kensington Gardens, W2 3XA London, United Kingdom
Serpentine Gallery Kensington Gardens London W2 3XA Distance: 1.4 miTourist Information Kensington Gardens, London W2 3XA (Hyde Park) London, United Kingdom W2 3XA
The Sheraton Grand London Park Lane is a 5 Star hotel on Piccadilly, London.The hotel opened in 1927 as The Park Lane Hotel to designs by architects Adie, Button and Partners, in a grand Art Deco style, and was constructed by the developer Sir Bracewell Smith. The building is a fine example with a mansard roof and Portland stone facade. The building is Grade II listed and has 303 bedrooms on eight floors with the front overlooking Green Park towards Buckingham Palace.The hotel was bought by ITT Sheraton in April 1996 for $70 million. ITT Sheraton was itself bought by Starwood Hotels in 1998. Starwood sold their leasehold on the hotel to Sir Richard Sutton’s Settled Estates in 2014, but continues to operate the property, under a long-term management contract. Though the hotel was a Sheraton property from 1996 on, it did not actually begin using the Sheraton name for twenty years, until July 19, 2016, when it was renamed Sheraton Grand London Park Lane upon the completion of a major renovation.The hotel is featured in the films The End of the Affair, The Winds of War and The Golden Compass.