St Mary the Boltons is an Anglican church in The Boltons, Brompton, London. It is a Grade II listed building.HistoryThe Boltons, a street in Brompton, was farmland until the middle of the 19th century. As part of westward expansion of London the land was developed by Robert Gunter the elder, who planned a residential estate, together with a church – to lend tone to the area. The church, built to a design by George Godwin the younger (who was also responsible for St Jude's, Courtfield Gardens, and St Luke's, Redcliffe Square) on land given by Gunter in the centre of the proposed development, was erected before the estate was built and was the first parish to be made out of the larger parish of Holy Trinity, Brompton, which since 1829 had covered much of Brompton. The cost of the church was £6,000, and the Church Building Commission gave a grant of £85 towards its construction. It was consecrated on 22 October 1850. The church's first incumbent, Rev. Hogarth J. Swale, met most of the building costs of the church. In July 2006 St Mary's Parish absorbed the parish of St Jude's, Courtfield Gardens, doubling its size.ArchitectureThe church is stonebuilt, with Kentish rag capped with Bath stone externally and Hassock internally. The walls are now bare, but were once stencilled with designs of fruit and flowers. There were stained glass windows, but the windows are now plain. In 1854 the spire was erected and in 1902 the oak pews and floor tiling were installed. The roof and organ were damaged by German bombs during World War II, which shattered many windows. After the war the church was restored; the altar was moved to below the crossing and a new Lady Chapel was made from what was previously the sanctuary. The east window was made to a design by Margaret Kaye and installed in 1955. In 1960 the organ was moved to St Nicholas, Great Yarmouth. A new two-manual Compton organ was installed in the west end, and the west window was installed to diffuse the light, ensuring that the organ stayed in tune.
The Parish Church of St Luke, Chelsea, is an Anglican church, on Sydney Street, Chelsea, London SW3, just off the King's Road. Ecclesiastically it is in the Deanery of Chelsea, part of the Diocese of London. It was designed by James Savage in 1819 and is of architectural significance as one of the earliest Gothic Revival churches in London, perhaps the earliest to be a complete new construction. St Luke's is one of the first group of Commissioners' churches, having received a grant of £8,333 towards its construction with money voted by Parliament as a result of the Church Building Act of 1818. The church is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building.HistoryIn the early 19th century Chelsea was in the process of expanding from a village to an area of London. St Luke's was built as a new, more centrally located replacement for the existing parish church, now known as Chelsea Old Church, which until then was also known, though unofficially, as St Luke's. This was initially a chapel of ease to the new building following its opening. The new church was the idea of the rector of Chelsea, the Hon. and Revd Gerald Wellesley, brother of the 1st Duke of Wellington, who held his office from 1805 to 1832, seeing the consecration of the church in 1824.
St Jude's Church, KensingtonDistance: 0.8 miTourist Information 24 Collingham Road London, SW5 0
St Jude's Church, Courtfield Gardens, Kensington, London, was designed by architects George Godwin and Henry Godwin, and built between 1867–70; the tower and spire were constructed in 1879. It was built on the northern portion of Captain Robert Gunter's estate. The project was overseen by Reverend J. A. Aston, and financed by John Derby Allcroft, a wealthy glove manufacturer. The construction, not including the tower, pulpit, font and organ cost £11,300, and was undertaken by Myers & Sons.Original exteriorSt Jude's Church is surrounded by Courtfield Gardens, Collingham Road, and Courtfield Road. Adjacent to the north is the Vicarage (built in 1874), also designed by George and Henry Godwin.The building was realised in a Gothic Revival style. It was built of Kentish ragstone, with ashlar stone dressings and has steeply pitched gabled roofs, of more than forty roof slopes. The roof is slate, in varying coloured bands of pale and dark grey tiles.Original interiorThe nave has galleries at a first floor level, on the north, west and south sides. It is unusually wide for its length, and has banded iron columns with sheet copper crafted capitals. The brickwork contains elaborate patterns of buff, red and black bricks, and murals in roundels above the column capitals, and in the reveal of the chancel arch, painted by Edward Frampton. The nave has diagonally-set quarry tiles, and the chancel is Minton tiles.The chancel has several interesting features: the reredos is alabaster, with mosaics by Antonio Salviati, and sculpted figures of St Jude, St Peter, and St Augustine. The pulpit is marble and alabaster, and the lectern is brass. These were designed by Thomas Earp and crafted by Edward Frampton.
Holy Trinity Church, South Kensington, is an Anglican church located on Prince Consort Road in the City of Westminster, London, England. The current building dates from 1901 and was built by George Frederick Bodley and Cecil Greenwood Hare.Edward Ashmore (British Army officer) and Gilbert Spencer were both married in the church.
An Anglican church of Anglo-Catholic tradition, founded in 1843 as part of the development of the Grosvenor Estate in north Belgravia. St Paul's today maintains a traditonal pattern of worship and daily prayer, a lively musical tradition and a commitment to good preaching and thoughtful Christian witness. The congregation is as eclectic as it is welcoming - and seeks to be open to all who come from all over the city (and indeed all over the world!), but above all it is a parish church, rooted in the local community.
Grosvenor Chapel is an Anglican church in what is now the City of Westminster, in England, built in 1730s. It inspired many churches in New England. It is situated on South Audley Street in Mayfair.HistoryThe foundation stone of the Grosvenor Chapel was laid on 7 April 1730 by Sir Richard Grosvenor, 4th Baronet, owner of the surrounding property, who had leased the site for 99 years at a peppercorn rent to a syndicate of four “undertakers” led by Benjamin Timbrell, a prosperous local builder.The new building was completed and ready to use by April 1731.Soon after the original 99-year lease ran out in 1829 the chapel was brought within the parochial system as a chapel of ease to St George's, Hanover Square.The chapel has been the spiritual home to a number of famous people including John Wilkes, Lady Mary Wortley Montagu, Garret Wesley, 1st Earl of Mornington, and his wife (parents to the Duke of Wellington), Florence Nightingale, U.S. General Dwight D. Eisenhower and Bishop Charles Gore.During the Second World War men and women of the American armed forces were welcomed to the chapel for their Sunday services, as recorded on a tablet outside the west wall, and after the war the congregation regularly included such people as the writer Rose Macaulay and Sir John Betjeman, Poet Laureate from 1972 until his death in 1984.
At St James’s, we exist to worship almighty God and to serve the people of this Parish in whatever way we can. We do this with all the joy, hope and love that comes from faith in Jesus Christ.
As well as a place of prayer and worship, St. James's is an amazing concert venue with an incredible setting and acoustic, and is increasingly used for music and drama performances.
The church is open every day (with very rare exceptions), and Mass is celebrated every weekday at 6.30pm.
The focus of our life as a parish is the Sung Mass on Sunday at 10.30am.
Religious Organization Near HTB Church
St Augustine's, Queen's Gate Distance: 0.5 miTourist Information 117 Queen's Gate London, United Kingdom SW7 5LP
St Augustine's Queen's Gate, a Parish in the Catholic Tradition of the Church of England has been serving God and people in the heart of London for 150 years.
The beautifully ornate Grade I listed building is regarded as one of the foremost examples of Victorian Gothic Revival architecture in Britain. The church building was designed by William Butterfield in the 1870's in the Victorian Brick Gothic Style, with further additions in the baroque style by Martin Travers in the 1920's.
A write up by the Twentieth Century Society may be found here: http://www.c20society.org.uk/casework/st-augustines-church-queens-gate/
St Augustine's is also the base for the William Wilberforce Trust, working to bring justice to the vulnerable and marginalized.
Facebook page from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. For more information, see www.lds.org or www.mormon.org.
Come visit England's newest visitors' center in the heart of London, the Hyde Park Chapel. This functioning chapel was recently remodeled to include a variety of exhibits on principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ, temples, and the history of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the British Isles.
When you submit responses to questions or provide other submissions, you grant the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to use, copy, publicly perform, publicly display, reformat, translate, excerpt (in whole or in part) and distribute such content for any purpose, and to prepare derivative works of, or incorporate into other works, such user content. You also allow the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints the right to publish your name, voice, likeness and other Personal Information that is part of your user generated content, and the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints may use the content, or any portion of the content as part of any broadcast, production, or for advertising, marketing, publicity and promotional activities.
By submitting content to this page you are stating that you have all rights and permissions to the image and permission from all those individuals who may be in the image. Please be sure that you have these permissions.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Hyde Park Distance: 0.2 miTourist Information 64 - 68 Princes Gate, Exhibition Road London, United Kingdom SW7 2PA 0207 838 1900