Montparnasse Cemetery is a cemetery in the Montparnasse quarter of Paris, part of the city's 14th arrondissement.HistoryCreated from three farms in 1824, the cemetery at Montparnasse was originally known as Le Cimetière du Sud . Cemeteries had been banned from Paris since the closure, owing to health concerns, of the Cimetière des Innocents in 1786. Several new cemeteries outside the precincts of the capital replaced all the internal Parisian ones in the early 19th century: Montmartre Cemetery in the north, Père Lachaise Cemetery in the east, and Montparnasse Cemetery in the south. At the heart of the city, and today sitting in the shadow of the Eiffel Tower, is Passy Cemetery.Notable intermentsAmong those interred here are:A Henri Alekan (1909–2001), cinematographer Alexander Alekhine (1892–1946), Russian-born chess world champion Grace Alekhine (1876–1956), artist and chess master Michèle Arnaud (1919–1998), singer Henry Aron (1842–1885), journalist and political essayist Raymond Aron (1905–1983), philosopher, sociologist and political scientist Jean-Michel Atlan (1913–1960), poet and painter Tina Aumont (1946–2006), actress, daughter of Jean-Pierre Aumont and Maria Montez Georges Auric (1899–1983), composer, member of Les Six
Montparnasse CemeteryDistance: 1.3 miTourist Information Cimetière de Montparnasse Paris, 75014
Le cimetière du Montparnasse est un cimetière parisien situé dans le arrondissement.VoirieLe cimetière du Montparnasse est délimité par la rue Froidevaux au Sud, la rue Victor-Schœlcher à l'Est, le boulevard Edgar-Quinet au Nord, le boulevard Raspail au Nord-Est, et la rue de la Gaîté à l'Ouest. Le cimetière est en outre traversé du Nord au Sud, dans la partie Est, par la rue Émile-Richard.HistoireLe cimetière du Montparnasse a été créé au début du, dans le sud de la capitale, en même temps que plusieurs autres cimetières situés à l'époque en dehors des limites de la ville : le cimetière de Passy, à l'ouest de la ville, le cimetière de Montmartre au nord et le cimetière du Père-Lachaise à l'est.L'emplacement était autrefois occupé par trois anciennes fermes, mais au, ce terrain devint la nécropole privée des religieux de Saint-Jean-de-Dieu. Au début du Nicolas Frochot, préfet de la Seine, fit acheter les terrains de la ville pour y ouvrir l'un des trois cimetières extra-muros de Paris. La première inhumation eut lieu le.
The Chapelle expiatoire is a chapel located in the 8th arrondissement of Paris, France. This chapel is dedicated to Louis XVI and his wife, Marie Antoinette, although they are formally buried in the Basilica of St Denis.The closest métro station is Saint-Augustin 15px 15pxHistory and constructionThe chapel was designed in 1816 by the French Neo-Classical architect Pierre François Léonard Fontaine, who, with his partner Charles Percier, figured among Napoleon's favourite architects. Fontaine's assistant Louis-Hippolyte Lebas oversaw the construction. The chapel was partly constructed on the grounds of the former Madeleine Cemetery, where King Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette had been buried after they had been guillotined.King Louis XVIII shared the 3 million livres expense of building the Chapelle expiatoire with the Duchess of Angoulême. Construction took ten years, and the chapel was inaugurated in 1826 in the presence of King Charles X. When he blessed the cornerstone of the Chapelle expiatoire, Hyacinthe-Louis de Quelen, Archbishop of Paris, called in vain for an amnesty of the exiled members of the National Convention.
Local Business Near Beaches Of Normandy/American Cemetary
Rue d'Assas is a street in the 6th arrondissement of Paris, named after Nicolas-Louis d'Assas.Features Musée Edouard Branly (at #21) Musée "Bible et Terre Sainte" (at #21) Main campus of Panthéon-Assas University (at #92) Zadkine Museum (at #100) Jardin du Luxembourg: rue d'Assas borders the Jardin between rue Guynemer and rue Auguste-ComteNotable peopleJeanne Baptiste d'Albert de Luynes lived at #8.Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi, the sculptor of the Statue of Liberty, had his last residence and studio at #82.
The Musée de Minéralogie is a museum of mineralogy operated by the École nationale supérieure des mines de Paris (Mines ParisTech). It is located in the 6th arrondissement at 60, boulevard Saint Michel, Paris, France, and open daily except Sunday and Monday; an admission fee is charged.The school was established in 1783, and the museum itself in 1794 under René Just Haüy as a Cabinet of Mineralogy "containing all production in the world and all productions of the Republic, arranged by locality." It was quickly augmented by private collections, sometimes seized by the state. Many fine additions were made in short order, and by 1814 the museum contained about 100,000 samples at the Hotel de Mouchy. During the 19th century and early 20th century it continued to acquire excellent collections from around the world, interrupted for several decades by World War II, but then resuming.Today the museum is stated to be one of the ten largest mineral collections in the world, containing some 100,000 samples including 80,000 minerals, 15,000 rocks, 4,000 ores, 400 meteorites, 700 gems, and 300 artificial minerals.