Battersea Power Station is a decommissioned coal-fired power station located on the south bank of the River Thames, in Nine Elms, Battersea, an inner-city district of South West London. It comprises two individual power stations, built in two stages in the form of a single building. Battersea A Power Station was built in the 1930s, with Battersea B Power Station to the east in the 1950s. The two stations were built to a nearly identical design, providing the long-recognized four-chimney layout. The station ceased generating electricity in 1983, but over the past 50 years it has become one of the best known landmarks in London and is Grade II* listed. The station's celebrity owes much to numerous popular culture references, which include the cover art of Pink Floyd's 1977 album Animals and its appearance in the 1965 Beatles' film, Help!.The station is one of the largest brick buildings in the world and is notable for its original, lavish Art Deco interior fittings and decor. The building has remained largely unused since its closure and the condition of the structure has been described as "very bad" by English Heritage, which included it in its Heritage at Risk Register. The site was also listed on the 2004 World Monuments Watch by the World Monuments Fund.
We encourage comments on BPS related subjects in an intelligent and constructive manner. However, there are some things to keep in mind:
•Keep your comments relevant to the topic. Off-topic comments will be removed so we can keep discussions focused for all of our users.
•Treat others as you would like to be treated. Be polite, even if you disagree. Abusive language, aggression and bullying are not allowed (whether aimed at users, individuals, BPSDC or other companies). Distressing content is also banned.
•We will try to help with any queries, but to respect your privacy we cannot ask for personal contact details on this page. In such cases please contact us via [email protected]
•To safeguard the privacy of individuals any postings including information that may identify individuals offline will be removed.
•Repeated duplicate postings (spam) by the same user or groups will be removed.
•Comments subject to legal issues (slander, defamation, contempt of court) or publicising / encouraging / endorsing illegal activity will be removed.
•Content with overt religious or political bias intended to incite others will be removed. Aggressive lobbying that disrupts the community for other users will be removed.
•Content containing unverified or false claims about products will be removed.
•We do not allow links to non-BPS sites as we cannot guarantee the content of those sites.
Finally, BPSDC retains the right to remove content posted to Facebook or block users from posting to this page for any other reason deemed necessary to create a safe & helpful community.
Please respect all of Facebook’s terms and conditions.
Lambeth Bridge is a road traffic and footbridge crossing the River Thames in an east-west direction in central London, the river flows north at the crossing point. Downstream, the next bridge is Westminster Bridge; upstream the next is Vauxhall Bridge.The most conspicuous colour in the bridge's paint scheme is red, the same colour as the leather benches in the House of Lords which is at the southern end of the Palace of Westminster nearest the bridge. This is in contrast to Westminster Bridge which is predominantly green, the same colour as the benches in the House of Commons at the northern end of the Houses of Parliament.On the east side, in Lambeth are Lambeth Palace, the Albert Embankment, St. Thomas' Hospital, and the International Maritime Organization. On the west side, in Westminster, are Thames House (the headquarters of MI5), behind which is Horseferry House (the National Probation Service headquarters), and Clelland House and Abell House (the headquarters of HM Prison Service), and the Millbank Tower and Tate Britain. The Palace of Westminster is a short walk downstream to the north through the Victoria Tower Garden.
A Royal Mews is a mews (i.e. combined stables, carriage house and in recent times also the garage) of the British Royal Family. In London the Royal Mews has occupied two main sites, formerly at Charing Cross, and since the 1820s at Buckingham Palace. Many open days are held each year.Charing CrossThe first set of stables to be referred to as a mews was at Charing Cross at the western end of The Strand. The royal hawks were kept at this site from 1377 and the name derives from the fact that they were confined there at moulting (or "mew") time.The building was destroyed by fire in 1534 and rebuilt as a stables, keeping its former name when it acquired this new function. On old maps, such as the "Woodcut" map of London of the early 1560s, the Mews can be seen extending back towards the site of today's Leicester Square.This building was usually known as the King's Mews, but was also sometimes referred to as the Royal Mews, the Royal Stables, or as the Queen's Mews when there was a woman on the throne. It was rebuilt again in 1732 to the designs of William Kent, and in the early 19th century it was open to the public. It was an impressive classical building, and there was an open space in front of it which ranked among the larger ones in central London at a time when the Royal Parks were on the fringes of the city and the gardens of London's squares were open only to the residents of the surrounding houses.
New Scotland Yard , häufig kurz Scotland Yard oder auch nur The Yard genannt, ist ein Gebäude im Londoner Stadtteil City of Westminster. Zudem ist Scotland Yard eine übliche Bezeichnung für die in diesem Gebäude residierende Polizeibehörde Metropolitan Police Service .Diese ist zuständig für Greater London mit Ausnahme der City of London, die als selbstständige Stadt mit der City of London Police über eine eigene Polizeibehörde verfügt. Neben den allgemeinen Polizeiaufgaben führt der MPS auch eine Datenbank über alle Straftäter im Vereinigten Königreich, unterstützt auf Anforderung die regionalen Polizeikräfte bei den Ermittlungen und gibt Hilfestellung bei der Aus- und Weiterbildung aller Polizeikräfte des Commonwealth. Umgangssprachlich ist im deutschsprachigen Raum mit „Scotland Yard“ meist die Londoner Kriminalpolizei gemeint.Das als New Scotland Yard bezeichnete Hauptquartier liegt derzeit in Nr. 8-10 Broadway, einer Seitenstraße der Victoria Street, unweit der Tube-Station St. James’s Park. Ausschilderungen in Richtung Broadway führen in der der U-Bahn-Station direkt zum Eingang des Gebäudes und dem rotierenden New Scotland Yard-Zeichen.
Scotland Yard is a metonym for the headquarters of the Metropolitan Police Service, the territorial police force responsible for policing most of London.The name derives from the location of the original Metropolitan Police headquarters at 4 Whitehall Place, which had a rear entrance on a street called Great Scotland Yard. The Scotland Yard entrance became the public entrance to the police station, and over time the street and the Metropolitan Police became synonymous. The New York Times wrote in 1964 that just as Wall Street gave its name to New York's financial district, Scotland Yard became the name for police activity in London.The force moved away from Great Scotland Yard in 1890, and the name New Scotland Yard was adopted for the subsequent headquarters. The current New Scotland Yard is located on Broadway in Victoria and has been the Metropolitan Police's headquarters since 1967. In summer 2013, it was announced that the force would move back to the former site of Scotland Yard, the Curtis Green Building, which is located on the Victoria Embankment and the headquarters will be renamed Scotland Yard.
Scotland Yard est le quartier général du Metropolitan Police Service (police) de Londres, se trouvant dans la cité de Westminster. C'est en 1829, date de création de cette force de police par Sir Robert Peel, que celle-ci établissait ses bureaux à Scotland Yard, au 4 Whitehall Place.HistoireSon nom dérive de, une rue du quartier St. James's reliant Northumberland Avenue et Whitehall, qui abritait des bâtiments utilisés pour accueillir les représentants diplomatiques du royaume d'Écosse, voire des souverains écossais eux-mêmes, lors de leurs visites dans la capitale anglaise...New Scotland YardDepuis son premier déménagement, en 1890, dans les sur Victoria Embankment, à plus au sud, il porte le nom de « New Scotland Yard ».En 1967, ses quartiers généraux ont été installés sur la, soit à 1 km au sud-ouest de ses locaux d'origine, dans un bâtiment de vingt-deux étages, 151 m de long et faisant, néanmoins ils portent toujours le nom de « New Scotland Yard ». Mais dans le langage courant, on continue à dire le plus souvent « Scotland Yard ». Ce bâtiment mis en vente depuis le 2 septembre 2014 pour 250 millions de livres sterling, a été acquis par un fonds d’investissement de l'émirat d'Abou Dhabi pour 370 millions de livres en décembre de la même année. L’immeuble doit devenir un complexe résidentiel et hôtelier.
The tower was originally built in 1365 to store the personal treasures of King Edward III. It was used by his successors up until the reign of Edward VI, before it was given to Parliament in the 1500s to house the records for the House of Lords. The tower was later handed over to the Government, when the Department for Weights and Measures used it as their base. The imperial measurements were all standardised here, including the infamous Great British Pint, that all pints still conform to today.
Come visit us today, to see a remarkable medieval survival in the heart of Westminster.
The House of Lords, formally styled the Right Honourable the Lords Spiritual and Temporal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in Parliament assembled and referred to ceremonially as the House of Peers, is the upper house of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. Like the House of Commons, it meets in the Palace of Westminster.Unlike the elected House of Commons, all members of the House of Lords (excluding 90 hereditary peers elected among themselves and two peers who are ex officio members) are appointed. The membership of the House of Lords is drawn from the peerage and is made up of Lords Spiritual and Lords Temporal. The Lords Spiritual are 26 bishops in the established Church of England. Of the Lords Temporal, the majority are life peers who are appointed by the monarch on the advice of the Prime Minister, or on the advice of the House of Lords Appointments Commission. However, they also include some hereditary peers including four dukes. Membership was once an entitlement of all hereditary peers, other than those in the peerage of Ireland, but under the House of Lords Act 1999, the right to membership was restricted to 92 hereditary peers. Very few of these are female since most hereditary peerages can only be inherited by men.
The Terrace At The Houses Of ParliamentDistance: 0.8 miTourist Information Palace of Westminster London, SW1A 0AA
The Palace of Westminster is the meeting place of the House of Commons and the House of Lords, the two houses of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. Commonly known as the Houses of Parliament after its occupants, it is also known as the 'heart of British politics'. The Palace lies on the north bank of the River Thames in the City of Westminster, in central London.Its name, which derives from the neighbouring Westminster Abbey, may refer to either of two structures: the Old Palace, a medieval building complex destroyed by fire in 1834, and its replacement, the New Palace that stands today. The palace is owned by the monarch in right of the Crown and, for ceremonial purposes, retains its original status as a royal residence. The building is managed by BNP Paribas Real Estate, which reports to the Speaker of the House of Commons and the Lord Speaker.The first royal palace was built on the site in the 11th century, and Westminster was the primary residence of the Kings of England until fire destroyed much of the complex in 1512. After that, it served as the home of the Parliament of England, which had been meeting there since the 13th century, and also as the seat of the Royal Courts of Justice, based in and around Westminster Hall. In 1834, an even greater fire ravaged the heavily rebuilt Houses of Parliament, and the only significant medieval structures to survive were Westminster Hall, the Cloisters of St Stephen's, the Chapel of St Mary Undercroft, and the Jewel Tower.
Welcome to the official Facebook page for the Historic Houses Association (HHA)
We represent 1600 privately-owned historic houses, castles and gardens throughout the UK. These are listed buildings or gardens, usually Grade I or II*, with many being iconic symbols of Britain's unique heritage.
And, did you know that there are more privately-owned houses open to the public than those in the care of the National Trust, English Heritage and their equivalents in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland put together.
So, enjoy a great day by discovering properties that have been in the same family for generations and are still a much-loved private home. Explore fabulous settings for weddings, conferences and events. Or book your stay and experience a night in a real stately home!
Search for properties using our online map or download our free app from the AppStore or on Android. You don't have to join us to enjoy visiting these beautiful places but, for a small annual fee, you can visit as many as you like for free!
For more information see our website: www.hha.org.uk
The Church of St Margaret, Westminster Abbey, is situated in the grounds of Westminster Abbey on Parliament Square, and is the Anglican parish church of the House of Commons of the United Kingdom in London. It is dedicated to Margaret of Antioch.History and descriptionOriginally founded in the twelfth century by Benedictine monks, so that local people who lived in the area around the Abbey could worship separately at their own simpler parish church, and historically part of the hundred of Ossulstone in the county of Middlesex, St Margaret's was rebuilt from 1486 to 1523. It became the parish church of the Palace of Westminster in 1614, when the Puritans of the seventeenth century, unhappy with the highly liturgical Abbey, chose to hold Parliamentary services in the more "suitable" St Margaret's: a practice that has continued since that time.The Rector of St Margaret's is a canon of Westminster Abbey.The north-west tower was rebuilt by John James from 1734 to 1738; at the same time, the whole structure was encased in Portland stone. Both the eastern and the western porch were added later by J. L. Pearson. The church's interior was greatly restored and altered to its current appearance by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1877, although many of the Tudor features were retained.
Big Ben is the nickname for the Great Bell of the clock at the north end of the Palace of Westminster in London, and often extended to refer to the clock and the clock tower. The tower is officially known as Elizabeth Tower, renamed to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II in 2012; previously it was known simply as the Clock Tower. When completed in 1859, it was, says clockmaker Ian Westworth, “the prince of timekeepers: the biggest, most accurate four-faced striking and chiming clock in the world.” The tower had its 150th anniversary on 31 May 2009, during which celebratory events took place.A British cultural icon, the tower is one of the most prominent symbols of the United Kingdom and is often in the establishing shot of films set in London.TowerThe Elizabeth Tower, more popularly known as Big Ben, was raised as a part of Charles Barry's design for a new palace, after the old Palace of Westminster was largely destroyed by fire on the night of 16 October 1834. The new parliament was built in a neo-gothic style. Although Barry was the chief architect of the palace, he turned to Augustus Pugin for the design of the clock tower, which resembles earlier Pugin designs, including one for Scarisbrick Hall. The design for the tower was Pugin's last design before his final descent into madness and death, and Pugin himself wrote, at the time of Barry's last visit to him to collect the drawings: "I never worked so hard in my life for Mr Barry for tomorrow I render all the designs for finishing his bell tower & it is beautiful." The tower is designed in Pugin's celebrated Gothic Revival style, and is 315ft high.
Big BenDistance: 0.8 miTourist Information The Clock Tower, Houses of Parliament, Palace of Westminister, London Westminster, SW1A 0AA
Big Ben is the nickname for the Great Bell of the clock at the north end of the Palace of Westminster in London, and often extended to refer to the clock and the clock tower.
Winston Churchill Room, TreasuryDistance: 0.6 miTourist Information 100 Parliament Street London, SW1A 2BQ
The Victoria Memorial is a monument to Queen Victoria, located at the end of The Mall in London, and designed and executed by the sculptor Sir Thomas Brock. Designed in 1901, it was unveiled on 16 May 1911, though it was not completed until 1924. It was the centrepiece of an ambitious urban planning scheme, which included the creation of the Queen’s Gardens to a design by Sir Aston Webb, and the refacing of Buckingham Palace (which stands behind the memorial) by the same architect.Like the earlier Albert Memorial in Kensington Gardens, commemorating Victoria's consort, the Victoria Memorial has an elaborate scheme of iconographic sculpture. The central pylon of the memorial is of Pentelic marble, and individual statues are in Carrara marble and gilt bronze. The memorial weighs 2,300 tonnes and is 104 ft wide. In 1970 it was listed at Grade I.HistoryProposal and announcementsKing Edward VII suggested that a joint Parliamentary committee should be formed to develop plans for a Memorial to Queen Victoria following her death. The first meeting took place on 19 February 1901 at the Foreign Office, Whitehall. The first secretary of the committee was Arthur Bigge, 1st Baron Stamfordham. Initially these meetings were behind closed doors, and the proceedings were not revealed to the public. However the Lord Mayor of London, Sir Joseph Dimsdale, publicly announced that the committee had decided that the Memorial should be "monumental".
Il Victoria Memorial è una scultura della città di Londra, collocata di fronte alla residenza reale di Buckingham Palace.Fu costruita dallo scultore Sir Thomas Brock, nel 1911. Contribuì nella progettazione e nella realizzazione l'architetto e Presidente della Royal Academy Sir Aston Webb; per la costruzione furono utilizzate all'incirca 2300 tonnellate di marmo bianco.Verso nord est sorge una grande statua della regina Vittoria. Gli altri lati del monumento rappresentano statue di angeli. L'Angelo della Giustizia, l'Angelo della Verità e quello della Carità, quest'ultimo dirimpetto a Buckingham Palace. Sul pinnacolo, è raffigurata la Vittoria attorniata da due figure sedute. Queste due figure "sussidiarie" furono donate dagli abitanti della Nuova Zelanda.Galleria d'immaginiVoci correlate Albert Memorial Vittoria del Regno Unito Buckingham Palace
Tia Maria first opened its door in December 2009 in a 25 covers café on the same South Lambeth Road where we are based. By summer 2010 Tia Maria was already so popular that more often than not we struggled to accommodate guests who many times would stand all night to be able to enjoy the great food and music on offer.
Due the popularity and with the opportunity to take over an English pub just yards from the original location our owner/chef Eduardo or Dudu as he is also well known, didn’t hesitate. Straight away started negotiations and less than a month later we re-launched Tia Maria in a much more comfortable setting.
What from outside might look like a traditional English pub changes all your perspectives once you walk through the door. A great atmosphere, friendly service, a quite Brazilian decoration and great home prepared food is the least you will experience.
Privately owned Tia Maria manages to keep a home feel. Passionate about food Eduardo ensures all ingredients used in our food are responsibly sourced. Since the very start he spends one night a week touring the three most popular wholesale markets in London, Smithfields, New Spitalfieds and Billingsgate ensuring only the best and when possible local produce is brought in to be served at Tia Maria. Being also a musician means you might easily spot Eduardo on our stage on live performances every week.
Now that you got to know more about us why not book a space, pop in for a drink, taste our great food? Our diverse menu caters for all kinds of tastes under the sun, and our entertainment is world famous! At Tia Maria you can sample the most delicious Brazilian dishes as well as the hottest music from the “país do futebol” (that’s land of football to you and me). We look forward to seeing you here soon
We specialize in Engraving Glass, Brass, Aluminium, Stainless Steel, Acrylic and many more materials. We supply and engrave Trophies, Awards, Cups, Gifts, Medals and Signs. Established in 1962 by Michael Hapeshis in Vauxhall London, he became a trusted and highly respected shoe repairer, establishing a service based on high quality workmanship using always top quality materials. Today with 2nd & 3rd generation family members (Christopher & Andreas Hapeshis) continuing the business we have established an international reputation, we have customers in Europe, Tokyo, New Zealand and the USA. Among our customers we have Screen and stage actors, radio presenters, journalists and authors. We have also been photographed by Getty images and our shop has been used for TV sketches and TV advertisements.
The work we do, both visually and verbally, is to sharpen the sell: to ensure your market notices, understands, desires and, above all, selects your brand.
Politics and red tape are the reasons we left the big agency world behind us. We believe great communications start from the word go: first-hand contact with clients is vital to realising objectives.
In turn, our clients find that direct involvement with an experienced, hands-on creative resource is more time and cost-efficient, more rewarding and often a lot more fun.