EuroZoid
Discover The Most Popular Places In Europe

Olympia (Paris), Paris | Tourist Information


28, Boulevard des Capucines, 9th arrondissement
Paris, France 75009


Olympia is a music hall located in the 9th arrondissement of Paris, France. Located at No. 28, Boulevard des Capucines, its closest métro/RER stations are Madeleine, Opéra, Havre – Caumartin and Auber.HistoryFounded in 1888, by Joseph Oller, the creator of the Moulin Rouge, today easily recognizable by its giant red glowing letters announcing its name. It opened in 1889 as the "Montagnes Russes" but was renamed the Olympia in 1893. Besides musicians, the Olympia played host to a variety of entertainment including circuses, ballets, and operettas. However, following a steady decline in appearances by the great stars, from 1929 until 1944 it served as a movie theater. It may have opened as a music hall under the German occupation of France during World War II, but certainly in 1945 after the Liberation, it was a music hall free to Allied troops in uniform. Attendees had to listen to the playing of four national anthems before the varied programs that always ended with a spirited can-can performed by dancers, some of whom were no longer young. Thereafter, at times it may have reverted to movies again until Bruno Coquatrix revived it as a music hall with a grand re-opening in February 1954. After his death, it ultimately went into another decline and was in danger of being torn down and turned into a parking lot but on 7 January 1993, France's then Minister of Culture, Jack Lang issued a preservation order for the Olympia that resulted in two years of construction work to rebuild a perfect replica of the façade and the grandeur of its famous red interior.

Concert Venue Near Olympia (Paris)

Auditorium Saint-Germain
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
4 rue Félibien
Paris, 75006

Soirée Arabo-Andalouses à Paris
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
111 rue du four
Paris, 75000

Caveau De La Huchette "officiel"
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
5 rue de la Huchette
Paris, 75005

0143266505

Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
6 Parvis Notre-Dame - Place Jean-Paul II
Paris, 75004

+33 1 42 34 56 10

Fondée en 1163, la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris se dresse au coeur de l'île de la Cité et de Paris et est le témoin vivant de 850 ans d'histoire ! Page Facebook des 850 ans : http://www.facebook.com/notredamedeparis2013

Galway Irish Pub Paris
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
13, quai des grands augustins
Paris, 75006

01 43 29 64 50

Le Cavern Club Paris
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
21 rue Dauphine
Paris, 75006

0143545382

Ce Bar/Club logé entre le quartier d'Odéon et le Pont Neuf, vous accueille de 18H à 6H du matin pour une soirée que vous n'êtes pas près d'oublier. Au programme ? Un rez-de-chaussée idéal pour les grands débats, partager une bière ou encore notre fameux Mojito. Au sous-sol, venez assister en première partie à des concerts Rock live & dès 23H notre DJ résident Phil vous embarque pour une session clubbing jusqu'au petit matin... Entrée libre (à condition d'arriver avec une furieuse envie de faire la fête :-) RESERVE avec nous et profite de: un espace réservé / Prix avantageux / Passe ta musique / Amène à grignoter Un peu comme chez soi en fait ;) Alors n'attend plus et contacte nous sur notre site pour + d'infos ----ENGLISH---- This concert bar/club located between Odéon and Pont Neuf is welcoming you to join the fun between 11pm till 6am for a night you'll never forget! What's happening there? On the ground floor: THE BAR : The place where you can chat and enjoy delicious cocktails (make sure you try our famous Mojito) On the basement: THE CLUB : DJ Set from 11pm till 6am, it's time to dance the night away with our one and only DJ Phill. With English and French speaking bar staff we will make sure you feel at home no matter what part of the world you are from. No Entrance charge all night! See you there ;-)

Le Caveau des Légendes
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
22 rue Jacob
Paris, 75006

01 43 26 36 26

Le nom a changé, ce n'est plus l'Abbaye Jazz Club, mais le patron est le même, et l'ambiance toujours aussi sympa

Le Centre Culturel Tcheque
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
18,rue Bonaparte
Paris,

Le Baiser Salé - Jazz Club
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
58 Rue De Lombardes
Paris, 75001

01 42 33 37 71

Sunset / Sunside
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
60 rue des Lombards
Paris, 75001

+33 (0)1 40 26 46 60

Situé au coeur de Paris, entre le Forum des Halles et le Centre Georges Pompidou, le Sunset Jazz-Club, créé en 1983 par Michèle et Jean-Marc Portet, est le premier club à s'être installé rue des Lombards. C'est à la demande de plusieurs musiciens,habitués du restaurant,qu'ils décident de transformer le bar américain branché du sous-sol en un club de jazz. Les musiciens trouvent l'espace idéal, avec ses caves voûtées et son acoustique, pour se produire devant un public intimiste tout en conservant la liberté nécessaire aux rodages des tournées et le soutien des Majors. Sous l'impulsion de Christian Vander, Paco Sery, Francis Lockwood..., le Sunset démarre en mai 83 avec le collectif Panam Fusion constitué des meilleurs musiciens de jazz fusion de l'époque. En octobre 1983, Jean-Marc Portet demande à Gérard Nagy de prendre en main la programmation. Ce proche d'Eddy Louiss, Paco Sery, Francis & Didier Lockwood, prouve rapidement que ce lieu est digne de recevoir les plus grands jazzmen. Il donne ses premières lettres de noblesse au Sunset avec une programmation plutôt fusion et jazz rock. Fin 1984, le club prend sa vitesse de croisière et se structure avec un premier programmateur, Dany Michel, qui oriente le club vers un jazz plus classique tout en gardant l'étiquette d'un club de fusion. On se souvient encore des boeufs tardifs avec Jaco Pastorius, Didier Lockwood, Sixun, Uzeb, Michel Petrucciani, Henri Texier, Aldo Romano, Barney Wilen... En 1989, le Sunset est l'un des hauts lieux du jazz parisien. Jean-Marie Balzano en reprend la direction artistique après avoir dirigé le Magnetic Terrasse et épousé Dee Dee Bridgewater. Avec Jean-Marie Balzano la programmation devient beaucoup plus internationale. Le Sunset est le lieu de passage incontournable des musiciens américains en tournée en Europe. Un soir, Miles Davis et Herbie Hancock débarquent au club et saluent l'atmosphère conviviale et généreuse de l'endroit. Le Sunset est aussi le repaire de Steve Lacy, Steve Grossman, Frank Morgan, Tal Farlow, Lee Konitz, Benny Golson et tant d'autres... En 1993, c'est au tour de Stéphane Portet d'assurer la programmation. Il veut donnerau Sunset un accès ouvert à la fois aux musiciens locaux et aux musiciens reconnus de passage à Paris. Il a comme devise : "le club de tous les jazz". Toutes les stars du jazz se produiront au Sunset ; Didier Lockwood, Roy Haynes, Bireli Lagrène, Richard Galliano, Jacky Terrasson, Laurent de Wilde, Ravi Coltrane, Dewey Redman.... ainsi que les grands talents de demain (aujoud'hui devenus des têtes d'affiches) comme Erik Truffaz, Julien Lourau, Sylvain Luc, Stefano di Battista, Paolo Fresu, Bojan Z, David Linx, Richard Bona, Magic Malik... Le Sunset, au fil des ans, devient ainsi le club de jazz parisien le plus fréquenté, affichant chaque soir de nouveaux talents ou des "grandes pointures". Un club apprécié aussi pour la qualité de son accueil et de sa programmation. Ainsi, un soir tard, Wynton Marsalis resta jusqu'au petit matin pour une jam session endiablée menée par des musiciens "maison", les frères Belmondo. Stéphane Portet se concentre, alors, à la réalisation de nombreux événements au sein du club : création de soirées destinées aux musiciens de la nouvelle génération qui débouchent sur le concours "les Trophées du Sunside", Rendez-Vous Jazz Vocal chaque dimanche, Festival de Jazz Vocal au mois de juin (10ème édition en 2004), American Jazz Festival en juillet (11ème édition en 2004), participation au JVC Jazz Festival depuis 1999... et de nombreuses thématiques à succès comme l'hommage à Miles Davis, Pianissimo, le mois de la batterie, des concepts autour de l'electro-jazz... Le vendredi 13 octobre 2001, le dernier né du Sunset, le Sunside, ouvre ses portes, en remplacement du restaurant. Désormais, le Sunset est dédié au jazz électrique, à l'electro-jazz et à la world music. Le Sunside se consacre au jazz acoustique.Sunset et Sunside forment ainsi un complexe unique en Europe avec deux clubs juxtaposés ouverts 7/7 jours et deux concerts par soir. Sunset-Sunside, deux clubs de jazz à Paris avec une qualité constante de la programmation, véritable reflet de l'actualité du jazz et rendez-vous obligé des musiciens les plus prestigieux (Brad Melhdau, Kenny Barron, Kurt Elling, Terry Callier...) Et une envie perpétuelle de continuer à faire découvrir de nouveaux musiciens et de nouveaux courants musicaux proches du jazz. Sunset & Sunside, "jazz à tous les étages pour tous les jazz... "

Louvre – Rivoli
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Rue De Rivoli
Paris, 75001

Louvre – Rivoli is a station on Paris Métro Line 1. It is near the Louvre and Rue de Rivoli.The station was opened on 13 August 1900, almost a month after trains began running on the original section of line 1 between Porte de Vincennes and Porte Maillot on 19 July 1900, under the name Louvre. It was given its current name in 1989, soon after the opening of the new entrance to the Louvre Museum at the simultaneously renamed Palais Royal – Musée du Louvre station.In 1968, the platforms in this station were decorated with replicas of ancient art from the Louvre Museum. It was the first metro station to become culturally decorated.As of April, 2014, the station's platforms are being renovated.

Le Paris Paris
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
5 Avenue de L'Opéra
Paris, 75001

01 42 60 64 45

An eponymous place where international party goers, curators and other recognizable faces come to have a drink and dance all night long ... ----- Cabaret depuis le milieu du 20 ème siècle et lieu incontournable parisien, le ParisParis Club enchante les nuits par ses soirées thématiques et éclectiques. Connu sous le nom du Curieux ou de La Tête de L’Art, le lieu mythique situé au 5 avenue de l’Opéra a pu voir s’épanouir des artistes tels que Jaques Brel, Gainsbourg ou encore Barbara. Dans les années 2000, Justice, Daft Punk, M et Cassius sont aussi passés par là. Encadré des plus beaux monuments de Paris, le club est aujourd’hui un lieu de brassage où se rencontrent fêtards et amoureux de musique qualitative, un lieu où, pour le temps d’une nuit, tous se mélangent. Les valeurs d’originalité d’échange et d’élégance sont au coeur même de ce lieu intemporel.. Depuis le début de la saison 2014: Dj Pone (Birdy Nam Nam), Mon Colonel (Party Harders), Les Petits Pilous (Boys Noize Rec.), Manaré (ClekClekBoom), TwinTwin, Johannes Brecht, Teki Latex (Sound Pellegrino), Synapson (Universal), Doctor Vince (Svinkels,TTC, Stupeflip), Timid Boy (Time Has Changed), So Me, DVNO, (Ed Banger Rec.), Bambounou (50Weapons), Tealer Gang, Karmina, Reflex (Continental Rec), Workerpoor (Zone Rec.), Villanova (In Fine Rec.), Surfing Leons, K-Lagane (Sound Pellegrino), Crackboy (Tigersushi, I’m A Cliché), Fulbert (Local Talk), Captain Kadillac (Booty Call Rec.), Neue Grafik (Slime), Glenn Dale (Belle Boutique), Demian (Correspondant), Orignal Unit, Thylacine Lou Ca, Victor Petroi, R-Ash...

La Petite Seine
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
19 rue de l'opéra
Paris, 75001

0600223344

La Petite Seine
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
19 rue de l'opéra
Paris, 75001

0600223344

Grand Palais - RMN (Officiel)
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
avenue du Général Eisenhower
Paris, 75008

01 40 13 48 00

Retrouvez nous sur Facebook, mais aussi ici : www.rmngp.fr ; www.grandpalais.fr, ici twitter : @GrandPalaisRmn et maintenant là : instagram.com/grandpalais_rmn

Olympia
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
24 Boulevard des Capucines
Paris,

O Olympia é a mais antiga sala de espectáculos musicais de Paris, situada no nr. 28 da Boulevard des Capucines, no 9º bairro da capital francesa.

Olympia (Paris)
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
28 boulevard des Capucines
Paris, 75009

08.92.68.33.68

L’Olympia est une salle de spectacle située 28, boulevard des Capucines, dans le 9e arrondissement de Paris de Paris. C'est le plus ancien music-hall de Paris encore en activité. Elle est propriété du groupe Vivendi depuis 2001.HistoireLes débutsEn 1888, Joseph Oller - le fondateur du Pari Mutuel et du Moulin Rouge - pose ses montagnes russes dans la cour d'un bâtiment donnant sur le 28, boulevard des Capucines. Le préfet de police Henri Lozé, craignant l'incendie des montagnes russes bâties en bois, demande la fermeture de l'attraction. Oller procède donc à la démolition des montagnes russes et fait édifier une salle de spectacle de 2000 places : l'Olympia.L'inauguration a lieu le 12 avril 1893, avec comme toutes premières vedettes La Goulue (danseuse de cancan), Loïe Fuller (danseuse américaine) et Fregoli (transformiste).Les frères Isola dirigent l'établissement de 1898 à 1911. Les attractions foraines (acrobates, contorsionnistes, etc) occupent la scène. De 1911 à 1914, Jacques Charles y monte des revues de music-hall, Mistinguett et Yvonne Printemps s'y produisent. En 1916 Raphaël Beretta et Léon Volterra en prennent la direction. Pendant la Première Guerre mondiale la salle ferme ses portes.

Devant L'olympia
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
Boulevard des Capucines
Paris,

Opéra-Comique
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
1, place Boieldieu
Paris, 75002

The Opéra-Comique is a Parisian opera company, which was founded around 1714 by some of the popular theatres of the Parisian fairs. In 1762 the company was merged with, and for a time took the name of its chief rival the Comédie-Italienne at the Hôtel de Bourgogne, and was also called the Théâtre-Italien up to about 1793, when it again became most commonly known as the Opéra-Comique. Today the company's official name is Théâtre national de l'Opéra-Comique, and its theatre, with a capacity of around 1,248 seats, sometimes referred to as the Salle Favart (the third on this site), is located in Place Boïeldieu, in the 2nd arrondissement of Paris, not far from the Palais Garnier, one of the theatres of the Paris Opéra. The musicians and others associated with the Opéra-Comique have made important contributions to operatic history and tradition in France, and to French opera. Its current mission is to reconnect with its history, and discover its unique repertoire, to ensure production and dissemination of operas for the wider public. Mainstays of the repertory at the Opéra-Comique during its history have included the following works which have each been performed more than 1,000 times by the company: Cavalleria Rusticana, Le chalet, La dame blanche, Le domino noir, La fille du régiment, Lakmé, Manon, Mignon, Les noces de Jeannette, Le pré aux clercs, Tosca, La bohème, Werther and Carmen, the last having been performed more than 2,500 times.

Opera National De Paris
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
8 rue Scribe
Paris, 75009

La Poursuite
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
25 rue Bergère
Paris, 75009

0608168532

La Poursuite
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
25 rue Bergère
Paris, 75009

0608168532

Salle Gaveau Paris
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
45-47 Rue La Boétie, 75008 Paris, France
Paris,

+33 1 49 53 05 07

Theâtre Mogador
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
25 Rue Mogador
Paris, 75009

+33153323232

Caserne de Sapeurs Pompiers de Paris
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
28 rue Blanche
Paris, 75009

01 40 23 20 28

Pigalle Country Club
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
59 rue Jean-Baptiste Pigalle
Paris, 75009

Le Pigalle Country Club est un ancien bar à hôtesses transformé en bar rock. DJ-sets & soirées qui enivrent, cocktails originaux & carte d'alcools premiums qui font danser, le tout dans le confort tamisé d'un salon anglais mais avec l'ambiance décadente d'un bar rock'n'roll. Le Pigalle Country Club, c'est aussi un micro-label publiant des vinyles en éditions limitées. "CBGB de poche. Hey Ho Let's Go!" (Le Nouvel Obs) "Excellent bar rock'n'roll" (Le Bonbon Nuit) "Un bar à hôtesses métamorphosé en havre musical des plus accueillants" (Technikart) "A magic, rocking, rolling, hot musicathlon of wild craziness and amazing young Paris rock talents." (Brad Spurgeon) "Bar rock'n'roll aux murs rouge sang" (Le Figaro) "Une touche décadente et bon esprit au quartier SoPi" (Paris Bouge) "Réelle antre des amoureux du bon vieux rock et de l’ambiance 'Get out of my way or I kill you' " (Paperblog) "Outre les classiques, des cocktails originaux ou des offres de shots à couper le souffle!" (Spiritueux Magazine)

LA BOULE NOIRE
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
120 boulevard Rochechouart
Paris, 75018

01 49 25 81 75

Le Divan Du Monde
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
75 rue des Martyrs
Paris, 75013

Landmark Near Olympia (Paris)

Palais de la Légion d'Honneur
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
2 rue de la Légion d'honneur 75007 Paris
Paris, France 75007

The Palais de la Légion d'Honneur is a building on the left bank of the River Seine in Paris. It houses the Musée national de la Légion d'Honneur et des Ordres de Chevalerie and is the seat of the Légion d'honneur, the highest order of chivalry of France. The building is also known as the Hôtel de Salm. It is located at 64, Rue de Lille, next to the old Orsay railway station in the 7th arrondissement of Paris.HistoryThe Hôtel de Salm was constructed between 1782 and 1787 by the architect Pierre Rousseau (1751–1810) for the German Prince Frederick III, Prince of Salm-Kyrburg. The revolutionary government nationalised the building, and from 13 May 1804 it was renamed the Palais de la Légion d'Honneur, and became the seat of the newly created Légion d'honneur. The interior was remodeled for that purpose by Antoine-François Peyre, and new exterior sculptures were added by Jean Guillaume Moitte and Philippe-Laurent Roland. An additional building was added in 1866 along the then-new Rue de Solférino, but the palace was destroyed by fire in 1871, under the Paris Commune. A replica was rebuilt soon afterwards under Anastase Mortier, with painters Jean-Paul Laurens and Théodore Maillot providing interior decoration. An additional building was added from 1922–1925 on Rue de Bellechasse in order to house a museum of the Legion of Honour.

Marina de paris
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Port de Solférino - Quai Anatole France
Paris, France 75007

+33 (0)1 43 43 4030

Louvre Palace
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Musée du Louvre
Paris, France 75058

The Louvre Palace is a former royal palace located on the Right Bank of the Seine in Paris, between the Tuileries Gardens and the church of Saint-Germain l'Auxerrois. Originally a fortress built in the medieval period, it became a royal palace in the fourteenth century under Charles V and was used from time to time by the kings of France as their main Paris residence. Its present structure has evolved in stages since the 16th century. In 1793 part of the Louvre became a public museum, now the celebrated Musée du Louvre, which has expanded to occupy most of the building.

La Pyramide Inversée
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Place du Carrousel
Paris, France 75001

La Pyramide Inversée is a skylight constructed in the Carrousel du Louvre shopping mall in front of the Louvre Museum in France. It may be thought of as a smaller sibling of the more famous Louvre Pyramid proper, yet turned upside down: its upturned base is easily seen from outside.DesignThe pyramid marks the intersection of two main walkways and orients visitors towards the museum entrance. Tensioned against a, 13.3m square steel caisson frame, the inverted pyramidal shape in laminated glass points downward towards the floor. The tip of the pyramid is suspended 1.4m above floor level. Individual glass panes in the pyramid, 30mm thick, are connected by stainless-steel crosses 381mm in length. After dark, the structure is illuminated by a frieze of spotlights.Directly below the tip of the downwards-pointing glass pyramid, a small stone pyramid (about 1m) is stationed on the floor, as if mirroring the larger structure above: The tips of the two pyramids almost touch.La Pyramide Inversée was designed by architects Pei Cobb Freed & Partners, and installed as part of the Phase II government renovation of the Louvre Museum. It was completed in 1993. In 1995, it was a finalist in the Benedictus Awards, described by the jury as "a remarkable anti-structure... a symbolic use of technology... a piece of sculpture. It was meant as an object but it is an object to transmit light."

Tuileries Palace
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Right Bank
Paris, France 75001

The Tuileries Palace was a royal and imperial palace in Paris which stood on the right bank of the River Seine. It was the usual Parisian residence of most French monarchs, from Henry IV to Napoleon III, until it was burned by the Paris Commune in 1871.Built in 1564, it was gradually extended until it closed off the western end of the Louvre courtyard and displayed an immense façade of 266 metres. Since the destruction of the Tuileries, the Louvre courtyard has remained open and the site is now the location of the eastern end of the Tuileries Garden, forming an elevated terrace between the Place du Carrousel and the gardens proper.HistoryAfter the accidental death of Henry II of France in 1559, his widow Catherine de' Medici (1519–1589) planned a new palace. She sold the medieval Hôtel des Tournelles, where her husband had died, and began building the palace of Tuileries in 1564, using architect Philibert de l'Orme. The name derives from the tile kilns or tuileries which had previously occupied the site. The palace was formed by a range of long, narrow buildings. During the reign of Henry IV (1589–1610), the building was enlarged to the south, so it joined the long riverside gallery, the Grande Galerie, which ran all the way to the older Louvre Palace in the east.

Théâtre des Tuileries
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
10 rue Saint Hyacinthe
Paris, France 75001

The Théâtre des Tuileries was a theatre in the former Tuileries Palace in Paris. It was also known as the Salle des Machines, because of its elaborate stage machinery, designed by the Italian theatre architects Gaspare Vigarani and his two sons, Carlo and Lodovico. Constructed in 1659–1661, it was originally intended for spectacular productions mounted by the court of the young Louis XIV, but in 1763 the theatre was greatly reduced in size and used in turn by the Paris Opera (up to 1770), the Comédie-Française (from 1770 to 1782), and the Théâtre de Monsieur (from January to December 1789). In 1808 Napoleon had a new theatre/ballroom built to the designs of the architects Percier and Fontaine. The Tuileries Palace and the theatre were destroyed by fire on 24 May 1871, during the Paris Commune.Salle des MachinesThe auditorium, designed and decorated by the architects Charles Errard, Louis Le Vau, and François d'Orbay, was housed in a pavilion located at the north end of the palace as originally built by the architect Philibert de l'Orme for Catherine de Médicis. Estimates of its seating capacity range from 6,000 to 8,000. The unusually deep stage was located in a gallery situated between the auditorium and a new, more northern pavilion, later designated as the.

Place de Valois
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
4 place de Valois
Paris, France 75001

La place de Valois est une place du arrondissement de Paris.DescriptionElle a donné son surnom au Parti radical dit « valoisien », dont le siège se trouve au 1, pour le distinguer du Parti radical de gauche né de la scission du Parti radical « historique » en 1971. On y trouve également, au 5, le siège de la Ligue de Paris Île-de-France de football, qui fut aussi un temps celui du Paris Saint-Germain.Voir aussi Liste des voies du arrondissement de Paris Liste des places de Paris

Les Deux Plateaux
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
15 Rue du Colonel Driant
Paris, France 75001

Les Deux Plateaux, more commonly known as the Colonnes de Buren, is a highly controversial art installation created by the French artist Daniel Buren in 1985–1986. It is located in the inner courtyard (Cour d'Honneur) of the Palais Royal in Paris, France.As described by the architectural writer Andrew Ayers, "Buren's work takes the form of a conceptual grid imposed on the courtyard, whose intersections are marked by candy-striped black-and-white columns of different heights poking up from the courtyard's floor like sticks of seaside rock.... In one sense the installation can be read as an exploration of the perception and intellectual projection of space."The work replaced the courtyard's former parking lot and was designed to conceal ventilation shafts for an underground extension of the culture ministry's premises. Some of the columns extend below courtyard level and are surrounded by pools of water into which passersby toss coins.The project was the "brainchild" of the culture minister Jack Lang and elicited considerable controversy at the time. It was attacked for its cost and unsuitability to a historic landmark. Lang paid no attention to the orders of the Commission des Monuments Historiques, which objected to the plan. In retrospect Ayers has remarked: "Given the harmlessness of the result, the fuss seems excessive, although the columns have proved not only expensive to install, but also to maintain."

Jeanne d'Arc (Frémiet)
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Place des Pyramides
Paris, France 75001

Jeanne d'Arc is a gilded bronze equestrian sculpture of Joan of Arc by Emmanuel Frémiet inaugurated in 1874.HistoryThe original statue was commissioned by the French government after the defeat of the country in the 1870 Franco-Prussian War. It is the only public commission of the state from 1870 to 1914, called the Golden Age of statuary in Paris, the other statues were funded by private subscriptions.The sculptor took as his model Aimée Girod (1856–1937), a young woman from Domrémy, Joan of Arc's village in Lorraine.The statue was inaugurated in 1874. The pedestal was designed by the architect Paul Abadie.The artist, who made another version of the monument for the city of Nancy in 1889, replaced the horse of the Parisian monument 10 years later by a copy of the smaller Nancy one, which earned him criticism.The monument was classified as a historic monument on March 31, 1992.Reviving a tradition from the far-right leagues, on every May Day, the National Front holds an annual ceremony in her honour at the statue.LocationsThe original work is located at the Place des Pyramides, in Paris, near where Joan of Arc was wounded during her failed attempt to take Paris.Other copies can be seen at: Nancy, France, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Portland, Oregon, Melbourne, Australia.

Place des Pyramides
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
2 rue de pyramides
Paris, France 75001

La place des Pyramides est une place située dans le quartier du Palais-Royal du 1er arrondissement de Paris de Paris. Coupant la rue de Rivoli, elle se trouve à la hauteur du jardin des Tuileries, et au bout de la rue des Pyramides.HistoriqueAncienne place de Rivoli, ouverte par arrêté du 17 vendémiaire an X, la place des Pyramides a reçu son nom actuel par l’arrêté du.L’ancien et le nouveau nom sont dus respectivement à la proximité de la rue de Rivoli et de celle des Pyramides. Le nom actuel commémore la campagne d'Égypte menée par le général Bonaparte en 1798.Sites particuliersLa statue de Jeanne d’Arc en bronze doré présente sur cette place a été réalisée par Emmanuel Frémiet en 1874.En ces lieux s'élevait aux et s une académie d'équitation tenue par Antoine de Pluvinel, écuyer d'Henri III, Henri IV et Louis XIII. Elle constitue le premier foyer de l'école classique d'équitation. Une plaque, apposée au-dessus de la porte d'entrée du restaurant de l’hôtel Régina, Le Pluvinel rappelle cet événement.La place accueille l'entrée principale de l'hôtel Régina.

Fontaines du Jardin des Tuileries
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
113 Rue de Rivoli
Paris, France 75001

Les fontaines du Jardin des Tuileries font partie intégrale du Jardin des Tuileries, situé dans le arrondissement de Paris, entre la Seine avec la quai des Tuileries au sud, la rue de Rivoli au nord, la place de la Concorde à l'ouest et le Palais du Louvre à l'est.HistoriqueLieu privilégié de promenades des Parisiens depuis sa création, le Jardin des Tuileries est agrémenté de plusieurs bassins avec des fontaines.L'histoire du jardin des Tuileries commence en 1564 quand la reine Catherine de Médicis demande à Philibert de l'Orme de construire un palais, qui deviendra le Palais des Tuileries, à l'emplacement d'une ancienne tuilerie. L'aménagement d'un jardin à l'italienne à l'ouest de celui-ci, constitué de six allées dans le sens de la longueur et huit dans le sens de la largeur, dont chacune d'entre elles délimitait des compartiments rectangulaires comprenant des plantations différentes (massifs d'arbres, quinconces, pelouses, parterres de fleurs, etc.). Une fontaine, une ménagerie et une grotte décorée par le célèbre céramiste Bernard de Palissy décoraient le jardin. Dans les années 1605-1625 furent rajoutées une orangerie et une magnanerie.En 1664, Jean-Baptiste Colbert et Louis XIV ordonnèrent que le jardin soit entièrement redessiné par André Le Nôtre, qui s'était déjà illustré à Vaux-le-Vicomte. Le petit-fils de Pierre Le Nôtre, architecte de Catherine de Médicis et paysagiste donna à celui-ci l'aspect qu'il allait conserver, dans ses grandes lignes, jusqu'à nos jours : il perça dans l'axe du palais une allée centrale délimitée, à l'est par un bassin rond, à l'ouest par un bassin octogonal ; il construisit la terrasse du Bord de l'eau le long du Quai des Tuileries et la terrasse des Feuillants le long de la future rue de Rivoli; enfin, il bâtit deux terrasses le long de la future place de la Concorde ainsi que deux rampes en courbe permettant d'y accéder.

Palais-Royal
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
8 rue de Montpensier
Paris, France 75001

01 47 03 92 16

El Palacio Real es un conjunto monumental, que integra un palacio, jardines, galerías y un teatro situados al norte del Museo del Louvre, en París. Originalmente se llamó Palais-Cardinal pues fue erigido por orden del Cardenal Richelieu.HistoriaA pesar de su nombre, nunca fue residencia de los reyes. Su construcción fue un encargo del Cardenal Richelieu al arquitecto Jacques Lemercier. Las obras de construcción se iniciaron en 1624 sobre la ubicación del que había sido el Hôtel de Rambouillet, y finalizaron en 1639. Al edificio se le conocía entonces como Palais-Cardinal (el palacio del cardenal). Richelieu contó con el pintor Philippe de Champaigne para labores decorativas, y terminó legando el palacio a la corona francesa.Tras la muerte de Luis XIII, se convirtió en el hogar de la reina madre, Ana de Habsburgo, del cardenal Mazarino y del joven Luis XIV. Fue en esta época cuando se empezó a conocer el edificio con el nombre de «Palacio real». Más tarde, el Palais-Royal se convirtió en la residencia parisina de los duques de Orleans y sede de su fabulosa colección de cuadros, que sería vendida a finales del siglo XVIII. Entre las obras maestras que incluía, se cuentan cinco de las poesías (mitologías) pintadas por Tiziano para Felipe II de España, La resurrección de Lázaro de Sebastiano del Piombo y tres famosos originales de Correggio.

Place du Marché-Saint-Honoré
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Place du Marché Saint Honoré
Paris, France 75001

La place du Marché-Saint-Honoré est une voie du arrondissement de Paris, en France.HistoireEn, sur l’actuelle place du Marché Saint Honoré, Marie de Médicis inaugure un couvent monumental pour des dominicains dits « jacobins ». À la Révolution, le couvent est fermé, puis occupé par le club des Jacobins qui s'y réunit autour de Robespierre. Désaffecté depuis la chute de Robespierre le 9 thermidor an II, le couvent est démoli en pour permettre l'ouverture de la place.En apparaît pour la première fois un marché. En, on y construit quatre pavillons destinés à accueillir le marché qu’orne une fontaine alimentée par la Pompe de Chaillot.À partir du, divers noms lui sont attribués (ou seulement proposés) : marché du Neuf Thermidor (non utilisé), place du Marché des Jacobins. À la Libération, le Conseil municipal issu des élections du, comptant vingt-sept communistes, douze socialistes et quatre radicaux renomme de nombreuses voies de Paris du nom de figures de la Résistance et de la Révolution. Le, il renomme la place du Marché-Saint-Honoré, établie sur l’emplacement du club des Jacobins, « place Robespierre », décision approuvée par un arrêté préfectoral du. Après la victoire du RPF lors du scrutin du, un arrêté du lui rend son nom primitif.

Rameau
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
7 rue Rameau
Paris, France 75002

Charvet Place Vendôme
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
28 place Vendôme
Paris, France 75001

+33142603070

Charvet Place Vendôme, pronounced, or simply Charvet, is a French high-end shirt maker and tailor located at 28 Place Vendôme in Paris. It designs, produces and sells bespoke and ready-to-wear shirts, neckties, blouses, pyjamas and suits, in the Paris store and internationally through luxury retailers.The world's first ever shirt shop, Charvet was founded in 1838. Since the 19th century, it has supplied bespoke shirts and haberdashery to kings, princes and heads of state. It has acquired an international reputation for the high quality of its products, the level of its service and the wide range of its designs and colors. Thanks to the renown of its ties, charvet has become a generic name for a certain type of silk fabric used for ties.Its exceptionally long history is associated with many famous customers, some of them infatuated with the brand. Also, writers have often expressed their characters' identity through references to Charvet.

Hôtel de Charost
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
39 rue du Faubourg Saint-Honoré
Paris, France

L’hôtel de Charost est un hôtel particulier situé au 39 rue du Faubourg-Saint-Honoré, à Paris. Il est depuis 1814 la résidence de l'ambassadeur du Royaume-Uni en France et se trouve à quelques pas du palais de l'Élysée.HistoireL'hôtel a été conçu par l'architecte Antoine Mazin (qui est aussi en partie l'auteur des plans de l'Hôtel Matignon) et construit pour Armand de Béthune, deuxième duc de Charost et gouverneur de Louis XV, de 1720 à 1722.Il devient tour à tour domicile de cette famille aristocratique, ambassade du Portugal, siège de bureaux, palais impérial et résidence temporaire de l’ambassadeur d’Autriche. Arthur Wellesley, Duc de Wellington, vainqueur de Waterloo, le rachète en 1814 à Pauline Bonaparte et y installe l'ambassade britannique, dont il est le premier occupant.Galerie photographiqueVoir aussiArticles connexes Maison de Béthune Ambassade du Royaume-Uni en France

Paris Olympia
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
28, Boulevard des Capucines, 9th arrondissement
Paris, France

Olympia is a music hall located in the 9th arrondissement of Paris, France. Located at No. 28, Boulevard des Capucines, its closest métro/RER stations are Madeleine, Opéra, Havre – Caumartin and Auber.HistoryFounded in 1888, by Joseph Oller, the creator of the Moulin Rouge, today easily recognizable by its giant red glowing letters announcing its name. It opened in 1889 as the "Montagnes Russes" but was renamed the Olympia in 1893. Besides musicians, the Olympia played host to a variety of entertainment including circuses, ballets, and operettas. However, following a steady decline in appearances by the great stars, from 1929 until 1944 it served as a movie theater. It may have opened as a music hall under the German occupation of France during World War II, but certainly in 1945 after the Liberation, it was a music hall free to Allied troops in uniform. Attendees had to listen to the playing of four national anthems before the varied programs that always ended with a spirited can-can performed by dancers, some of whom were no longer young. Thereafter, at times it may have reverted to movies again until Bruno Coquatrix revived it as a music hall with a grand re-opening in February 1954. After his death, it ultimately went into another decline and was in danger of being torn down and turned into a parking lot but on 7 January 1993, France's then Minister of Culture, Jack Lang issued a preservation order for the Olympia that resulted in two years of construction work to rebuild a perfect replica of the façade and the grandeur of its famous red interior.

Salon Indien du Grand Café
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
14 boulevard des Capucines
Paris, France

Le Salon Indien du Grand Café was a room in the basement of the Grand Café, on the Boulevard des Capucines near the Place de l'Opéra in the center of Paris. It is notable for being the place that hosted the very first public moviescreening, on December 28, 1895, consisting in ten short clips presented by the Lumière brothers. These short films clips (in order of presentation), were:La Sortie de l'Usine Lumière à Lyon (literally, "the exit from the Lumière factory in Lyon", or, under its more common English title, Workers Leaving the Lumiere Factory), 46 secondsLe Jardinier (l'Arroseur Arrosé) ("The Gardener", or "The Sprinkler Sprinkled"), 49 secondsLe Débarquement du Congrès de Photographie à Lyon ("the disembarkment of the Congress of Photographers in Lyon"), 48 secondsLa Voltige ("Horse Trick Riders"), 46 secondsLa Pêche aux poissons rouges ("fishing for goldfish"), 42 secondsLes Forgerons ("Blacksmiths"), 49 secondsRepas de bébé ("Baby's Breakfast" (lit. "baby's meal")), 41 secondsLe Saut à la couverture ("Jumping Onto the Blanket"), 41 secondsLa Places des Cordeliers à Lyon ("Cordeliers Square in Lyon"—a street scene), 44 secondsLa Mer (Baignade en mer) ("the sea "), 38 seconds Currently, the building standing at No. 14 Boulevard des Capucines is the Hotel Scribe, which opened a restaurant called 'Café Lumière', in memory of its history. The Grand Cafe Capucines located at No. 4 is a successor to the original further along the boulevard.

Place de l'Opéra
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Place de l'opéra
Paris, France 75009

La place de l'Opéra est une place de Paris située dans le arrondissement, devant le Palais Garnier et au carrefour du boulevard des Italiens, du boulevard des Capucines, de l'avenue de l'Opéra, de la rue Auber, de la rue Halévy, de la rue de la Paix et de la rue du Quatre-Septembre.Ce site est desservi par la station de métro Opéra.HistoireÀ l'époque de sa création, en même temps que celle de l'Opéra de Charles Garnier, cette place a comme intérêt majeur de donner au piéton le recul suffisant pour admirer la façade principale de l'édifice. Elle fait aussi partie des transformations de l'urbanisme de la capitale, voulues par Napoléon III et concrétisées par le baron Haussmann, pour faciliter les circulations de toutes sortes.L'endroit prend une importance particulière avec le passage de plusieurs lignes du métropolitain. À l'aube du, une polémique naît. Nous sommes alors en plein essor de l'« Art nouveau » face à l'académisme ambiant et le choix de l'artiste devant les réaliser se révèle problématique. Les sorties « doivent être aussi majestueuses que le monument qu'elles desservent ». Un des premiers consultés est tout naturellement Hector Guimard, lequel réalise toutes les commandes du genre pour la ville. Après de nombreux débats, la hauteur et le style de la gare conçue par l'architecte sont jugés en total désaccord avec ceux de l'Opéra. Le projet d'une station aérienne à structure métallique fait rapidement place aux discrètes bouches sortant des deux terre-pleins centraux que nous connaissons aujourd'hui.

Crédit Lyonnais headquarters
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
palais
Paris, France 33000

The Crédit Lyonnais headquarters is a Haussmannian style building in the 2nd arrondissement of Paris. It is located on the block formed by the Boulevard des Italiens, the rue de Gramont, the rue du Quatre-Septembre and the rue de Choiseul.Construction 1863: Credit Lyonnais was founded in the French city of Lyon. 1876 – 1883: Construction of the main branch in Paris. A block of 1,590 m2 was purchased in Paris. Then, the Boufflers-Rouvenel Hotel was demolished to make way for the headquarters of Credit Lyonnais, designed by the architect William Bouwens van der Boijen. The building was built in the Haussmannian style to impress customers and investors. The building was also planned so that it could be converted into a department store in case of bankruptcy. 21 March 1878: Building inaugurated in the presence of Léon Gambetta, at that time director of the Budget Committee of the National Assembly. The building is organized around a large double helix similar to the one in Chateau de Chambord. The building became a popular place; the bank had to provide "permission to visit" tickets. 1882 : Official transfer of Crédit Lyonnais's headquarters from Lyon to Paris. 1913: Completion of construction by the architect Victor Laloux. The building was gradually extended to the whole block between the Boulevard des Italiens, the rue de Choiseul, rue du Quatre Septembre and rue de Gramont.