Wandsworth High Street London, United Kingdom SW18 4TF 020 8870 2141
Southside Wandsworth is a shopping centre in Wandsworth Town, Wandsworth, London, England. When it was built it was the largest indoor shopping centre in Europe and is currently the fifth largest indoor shopping centre in the capital after Westfield Stratford, Westfield London, the Whitgift Centre and Brent Cross.OverviewSouthside opened in 1971 as the Wandsworth Arndale Centre, and was the largest of the UK-wide chain of Arndale Centres with 110 shops. It occupies much of the town centre of Wandsworth, with five blocks of apartments, and the River Wandle running in a culvert underneath. It initially included a mix of shops, offices and restaurants, as well as a market traders hall, although the latter has since been redeveloped. At one point it also housed a large nightclub, which closed in 2002.The centre suffered a notable decline in the 1980s and 1990s and gained a reputation as a 'value' oriented centre, before being extensively renovated and relaunched in 2004 with a significantly improved mix of shops relevant to all households in the catchment area.The shopping centre is anchored by a Waitrose supermarket, large TK Maxx and a new 81880sqft Debenhams. The upper mall contains a food plaza containing an Ed's Easy Diner, Ekachai, Frankie & Benny's, KFC, McDonald's, Nandos and Prezzo as well a 14-screen Cineworld cinema. Two gyms also reside in the centre with a Virgin Active at the Wandsworth High Street end of the shopping centre and an easyGym on Garratt Lane. Since August 2016, the Virgin Active has been taken over by Nuffield Health gyms.
Welcome to the official Facebook page of Harrods - the world's most famous luxury department store.
Four acres of shopping space showcases the world's most sought after brands set within a magical kingdom of fantasy and cultural opulence.
Selling everything from sweets and souvenirs to diamonds and antiques, there is nowhere in the world quite like Harrods.
Visit our website - http://www.harrods.com
Follow us on Twitter - http://www.twitter.com/harrods
Follow us on Instagram - http://instagram.com/harrods
Watch us on You Tube - http://www.youtube.com/harrodsoflondon
87–135 Brompton Road
London, SW1X 7XL
Monday to Saturday:
10.00am - 9.00pm
Sunday: 11:30am* - 6.00pm
*Browsing only between 11.30 and 12 noon on Sundays.
By posting on the Harrods page you are consenting to Harrods Ltd using your name and (if provided) comments, photographs and video footage as Harrods may freely decide in all forms of media, forever and throughout the world. If you have posted any photographs or video footage on the Harrods page, you confirm and warrant that you own the copyright in those photographs and video footage and that you are permitted to consent to their use and broadcast by Harrods Ltd. Please note that Harrods will remove any photographs, video footage or comments which are deemed to be inappropriate.
Welcome to the official Facebook page of Chelsea in Bloom. At Duke of York Square we offer an unrivalled range of international retailers, as well as leading restaurants and cafes, and the iconic Saatchi Gallery – arguably the world’s leading contemporary art gallery, housing both permanent and visiting international collections of sculpture and art.
At the heart of this thriving community are 33 international fashion and lifestyle retailers including one of Europe’s largest Zara stores, Massimo Dutti, Taschen, and Space N.K alongside other iconic brands such as Banana Republic, All Saints, Ted Baker and Joseph. Capturing the fashionable history of the Kings Road, the Square is also home to Mary Quant.
Every Saturday enjoy our open-air fine food market, offering a range of delicious fresh produce and recognised as one London’s best farmers’ markets. You’ll also find an eclectic mix of international eating experiences in our restaurants, cafés and bars.
Duke of York Square is a perfect haven to rest and relax away from the hustle and bustle of the Kings Road and Sloane Square, and is quite simply a place to enjoy life.
To reach us by underground:
We are a 3-4 minute walk from Sloane Square Underground station (District and Circle lines) and a 10-12 minute walk from Victoria station (Victoria, District, Circle lines and overground trains).
To reach us by bus:
11,19, 22, 49, 211, 319 (Kings Road)
11, 137, 211 (Lower Sloane Street)
For the latest news, events, offers and great competitions stay in touch with your local shopping centre. With a whole host of big name retailers a food court and much more it is time to Shop at Centre Court Shopping Centre Wimbledon.
Tooting Market has been established over 100 years as South London’s premier indoor market. The market hosts a variety of tenants selling, fresh foods, ladies and men’s fashion, music, hair & nail salons, arts and crafts, furniture, a food court and hundreds of other products to choose from so you’ll be sure to find what you are looking for.
North End RoadDistance: 2.0 miTourist Information North End Road, Fulham London, United Kingdom sw6 1nw
If you are looking for a real traditional market atmosphere, then make your way down to our well known market on the North End Road.
This busy market lies on the east side of North End Rd between Lillie Rd and Fulham Rd and has been in existence since the 1880s. The market attracts passers by and locals alike, here you can do all your shopping at affordable prices, including fresh fruit and vegetables, fresh fish, clothing, household goods, jewellery and many other items. There is a selection of hot and cold foods from around the globe to tantalise your taste buds.
The market has improved and developed over the years and is very popular with locals and visitors. It is managed through many family generations and is still a very vibrant market today.
What our stallholders have to say
“There are plenty of access points to the market and it’s a really busy community market”
“You are spoilt for choice at this market with the variety of products and goods for sale”
CAR PARKING: Coomer Place Car Park, just off North End Road. Pay and Display - 40p an hour for max. 1 hour. There is also additional pay and display car parking along various other side streets off North End Road.
The Putney Exchange is a premium shopping destination offering a unique mix of independent retail stores with a great choice of high street brand names, plus a choice of relaxing cafes and restaurants. Conveniently located on Putney High Street with safe and secure parking on two levels, the Putney Exchange is open 7 days a week with late night shopping on Thursdays.
King George's Park Distance: 0.4 miTourist Information Mapleton Raod London, United Kingdom SW18 4
King George's Park is a park in Wandsworth, South London.Park descriptionThe park was originally called Southfields Park and was laid out in 1922. It was officially opened by King George V in 1938. The park is about 770 m long in the north-south direction, with an average width of 120 m. The River Wandle forms the eastern boundary of the park. It is divided into three area of approximately equal size. In the North there is a Leisure area, then a play area and finally sports fields.The Leisure area includes; formal gardens, a bowling green, tennis courts, a wild-fowl lake (at one time with row boats), and shaded paths with a large number of seats. As this is less than five minutes walk from the main shopping area of Wandsworth, it is, in summer, a great place for eating picnic lunches.The Play area has a pavilion where children's play sessions are held (called the one o'clock club). There was a small open air swimming pool, but this was closed and has been removed. Also there are an ecological site, an adventure playground. There are paths for both walking and cycling, and a wide open grass field used for games and othe activities.The Wandle trail passes through the park. Along its path, it is possible to walk nearly 1½ km in a natural area with the exception of crossing a single road (Kimber Road)The park can be entered through gates at both the north and south end, and on the east via a footpath with a pedestrian bridge across the Wandle
Putney railway station is in Putney in the London Borough of Wandsworth, in south London, and is on the boundary of Travelcard Zone 2 and Zone 3. The station and all trains serving it are operated by South West Trains. It has four platforms and is about half a kilometre from East Putney tube station. Ticket barriers are in operation.HistoryThe station opened when the Nine Elms to Richmond line came into service on 27 July 1846 and was rebuilt in 1885-6 when the tracks were quadrupled.ServicesThe typical off-peak service at the station in trains per hour is: 10 to London Waterloo 2 to Weybridge, calling at all stations via Hounslow. 2 fast to Windsor & Eton Riverside, calling at Richmond, Twickenham, Whitton, Feltham and all other stations. 2 taking the Kingston Loop Line via Richmond to return circuitously to Waterloo 2 in each direction round the Hounslow Loop Line to return circuitously to Waterloo On Sundays the London Waterloo to Reading trains also call at the station.
St Mark's, Battersea Rise is a Victorian Grade II* listed Anglican church located in Clapham Junction in London. The church was designed by William White and built from 1872-74 in a Geometric Middle-pointed, 13th Century Gothic style using yellow bricks with red brick dressings and diapering. Inside, the nave comprises four bays with north aisles, a tower at the south-west corner supporting a wooden belfy and a shingled spire. Concrete piers with naturalistic stone-carved capitals were produced by Harry Hems. The interior floor is tiled. The choir stalls, pulpit and font were built to White's designs. The altar is raised on a stone plinth behind low brass rails. At the east end, the ambulatory descends to the crypt.After a declining congregation and a dilapidated church building, the parish recovered as the result of a church plant in 1987 from Holy Trinity Brompton, led by Pastor Paul Perkin, his wife Christine and a group of about 50 followers. Through donations from the congregation, building works have been undertaken, with a new welcome hall and extended meeting hall opened in 2007.St Mark's Church has been described as conservative and evangelical and was the subject of an article by The Guardian newspaper in 2012, Money becomes new church battleground. The article describes a "bitter power struggle within the CofE and the wider Anglican communion" on conservative issues such as homosexuality and the ordination of women priests.
Bezzington Heights Distance: 1.2 miTourist Information Bridges Court Road London, United Kingdom SW11 3GY
Parsons Green is a park in the Parsons Green area of the London Borough of Hammersmith and Fulham, London. It is triangular. On the northernmost corner is a tube station of the same name. It holds an annual fundraiser called 'Fair on the Green'. The Green hosted Fulham F.C.'s home games during the 19th century. Lady Margaret School is situated on its eastern side.
The Clocktower Distance: 1.5 miTourist Information 853A Fulham Road London, United Kingdom SW65HJ
Walham Green is an area located on the border of Fulham and Chelsea, south-west London, United Kingdom. To the south is Parsons Green, south-west Fulham, north West Kensington, north-east West Brompton, east Chelsea and south-east is Sands End. As a separate place-name it is nowadays rarely used, with most considering it part of Fulham.Within the area is the stadium of Stamford Bridge, home of Chelsea F.C.Fulham BroadwayFulham Broadway is a famous street within the area although it is often used to name the area in the immediate vicinity of the street and the station. From 1880-1952, Fulham Broadway underground station was called Walham Green. The station itself is now set inside Fulham Broadway shopping centre.However the modern name of Walham Green is now known as the Moore Park Estate, regarded as one of the most desirable parts of Fulham to own a property. Houses are frequently sold at well above the million threshold with investment from city professionals. Many property developments and refurbishments often take place.Some of the roads included in the conservation area include:Moore Park Road, Holmead Road, Rumbold Road, Maxwell Road, Brittania Road, Waterford Road, Fulham Broadway, Kings Road and Fulham Road
Salesian College was a Roman Catholic, Voluntary Aided school for boys aged 11 to 16 (previously 11 to 18, until it had to jettison its Sixth Form). It was founded in 1895 in Battersea, London by the religious order of the Salesians of Don Bosco, who arrived in Battersea in 1887 as part of Don Bosco's dream to establish a Salesian presence in Great Britain and the British Empire, with its missionary potential. The College aimed to provide an education loosely based on the principles of St John Bosco, founder of the Salesians of Don Bosco.HistoryAt the end of August 2011 Salesian College and the John Paul II School, both in Wandsworth Borough, merged to create a new school - St John Bosco College. This opened on 1 September 2011 and currently occupies the Wimbledon site of the former John Paul II School. It will move to the old Surrey Lane site when new buildings have been constructed. In the meantime, it has served as the location of BBC3 sitcom "Bad Education" and art studios for the Association of Cultural Advancement through Visual Art (ACAVA).
The Wimbledon Synagogue is a synagogue in the London Borough of Wandsworth at Queensmere Road, Wimbledon Park, on the boundary with the London Borough of Merton. It is a member of the Movement for Reform Judaism.The community was established in 1949 and was based at Worple Road, Wimbledon from 1952 to 1997. In 1997 it moved to its present premises, adapting a 1953 building which previously belonged to Southlands College, now part of the University of Roehampton. The building also houses a Jewish nursery school, Apples and Honey.HistoryThe synagogue came into being at a meeting of the local Jewish community at the Wimbledon Hill Hotel in February 1949. In its first year the membership, of 60 families, was little more than one tenth of what it is now. Services were held in temporary accommodation. The community decided to build a new synagogue on a site at 44 Worple Road in Wimbledon. The foundation stone was laid on 8 April 1951 by Ernest Abelson and Leonard Montefiore (of the West London Synagogue) and the synagogue was formally opened and dedicated on 25 May 1952 by Rabbi Dr Leo Baeck. In September 1997 the synagogue moved to its present site, adapting the former Athlone Hall (dating from 1953).In 1953 the synagogue appointed its first minister, Rabbi Charles Berg. When he retired, in 1974, the community had grown to 750 members. He was succeeded by Rabbi Hillel Avidan (1974–80), Rabbi Daniel Smith, (1982–93), Rabbi Robert Shafritz (1993–96), who died suddenly in office, Rabbi William Woolf (1997–2002), Rabbi Sylvia Rothschild and Rabbi Sybil Sheridan who job shared from 2003 until 2014 and Rabbi Tony Hammond who was appointed interim rabbi in 2015. Rabbi Jason Rosner was the synagogue's rabbi from November 2015 to September 2016.
The 606 Club is a jazz club in Chelsea, London. The club is in a basement venue at 90 Lots Road in London SW10 and is currently licensed for 175 people. It offers jazz, Latin, soul, R&B, blues and gospel music seven nights a week, and sometimes also on Sunday afternoons, making it one of the busiest jazz clubs in Europe.The club has been owned and run by musician Steve Rubie since 1976. According to Rubie, the club's history goes back much further and it was active in the 1960s.The club was originally a small 30-seater venue at 606 King's Road, but moved to its current site in May 1988.
Chelsea Theatre Distance: 1.9 miTourist Information 7 World's End Pl London, United Kingdom SW10 0
Chelsea Theatre is a studio theatre located on the Kings Road in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, London. It presents, commissions, and produces material and is the only theatre in London dedicated to Live Art. The theatre also works with the local community.
World's End, Kensington and Chelsea Distance: 2.0 miTourist Information 459 King's Road London, United Kingdom SW10 0LR <>
The World's End is a district of Chelsea, London, lying at the western end of the Kings Road.HistoryIt took its name from King James II who would regularly ride down Kings Road and considered it to be "the end of the world" on his ride. A public house of the same name, The World's End was built there in 1897. The area has long been regarded as the less fashionable end of Chelsea, with Victorian slums being replaced with council housing in the 20th century.The 1960sThe fashionable set who had made their home at the other end of the Kings Road discovered the gem that was the World's End and found it was the perfect place to open the boutique Granny Takes a Trip. There were several boutiques and hippie shops that clustered round World's End in the late 60's including Gandalf's Garden selling candles, incense, spiritual books and hippy paraphernalia. Sophisticat sold reconditioned pine furniture and was home to Christian the lion cub; The Sweet Shop at 28 Blantyre Street sold silk velvet patchwork and applique cushions, tunics, and wallhanging designed by artist Laura Jamieson. The shop was frequented by Twiggy, Jean Shrimpton, and Keith Richards. Just round the corner on the Kings Road was the Dragon Tea Garden, a meeting place for local aristocrats, bohemians and hippies who sat on floor cushions, played backgammon and sipped exotic teas. The World's End became a centre for the counter-culture world of the 1960s. This continued in the late '70s and '80s with the opening of the boutique SEX started by Vivienne Westwood in the 1970s (which is now known as World's End).
Crosby Hall is a historic building of London, now sited in Cheyne Walk, Chelsea. It is a Grade II* listed building.HistoryThe Great Hall is the only surviving part of the medieval mansion of Crosby Hall, Bishopsgate, in the City of London, which was built in 1466 by the wool merchant Sir John Crosby. By 1483, the Duke of Gloucester, later Richard III, had acquired the Bishopsgate property from the original owner's widow. The Hall was used as one of his London homes. It was used as the setting for a scene in William Shakespeare's Richard III. In the reign of Henry VIII it belonged to Antonio Bonvisi.From 1621 to 1638 it was the home of the East India Company. Following a fire in 1672 only the Great Hall and Parlour wing of the mansion survived, ) a Presbyterian Meeting House, and then a warehouse with an inserted floor.In 1910, the mediaeval structure was reprieved from threatened demolition and moved stone by stone to its present site, provided by the former London County Council, largely at public expense. The neo-Tudor brick additions designed by Walter Godfrey were constructed around it. The salvage, catalogue and storage were paid for by the Bank of India, who had purchased the Bishopsgate site to build offices. In 1916, the building housed Belgian refugees, as noted in an essay by Henry James.
Allen Hall is the Roman Catholic seminary of the Province of Westminster in Chelsea, London in the London Borough of Kensington and Chelsea. It is situated in a house previously occupied by St Thomas More. Remains of the original sixteenth-century house are Grade II listed.Early History of the CollegeThe theological college is named after Cardinal William Allen who founded a seminary in Douai, France, in 1568 to provide for the English mission in time of persecution.In 1793, the professors and students moved from Douai to Ware, Hertfordshire to escape the French revolution and founded St Edmund's College.History of the SiteThe site of the seminary dates back to 1524, when it was purchased by Henry VIII's Chancellor, St Thomas More. Although his house no longer exists, one of the mulberry trees he planted survives in the seminary garden, which is one of the largest gardens in Chelsea.The current building was a former convent built by French nuns in the nineteenth and twentieth centuries, the Sisters of the Adoration Réparatrice who occupied it until 1975 when it was bought by the Archdiocese of Westminster.
The Chelsea Old Church, also known as All Saints, is an Anglican church, on Old Church Street, Chelsea, London SW3, England, near Albert Bridge. It is the church for a parish in the Diocese of London, part of the Church of England. Inside, there is seating for 400 people. There is a memorial plaque to the author Henry James (1843–1916) who lived nearby on Cheyne Walk. To the west of the church is a small public garden containing a sculpture by Jacob Epstein.HistoryChelsea Old Church dates from 1157. Formerly it was the parish church of Chelsea when it was a village, before it was engulfed by London. The building originally consisted of a 13th-century chancel with chapels to the north and south (c.1325) and a nave and tower built in 1670.The chapels were private property. The one to the north was called the Lawrence Chapel and was owned by Chelsea's Lord of the Manor. The chapel to the south was rebuilt in 1528 as Sir Thomas More's private chapel. The date can be found on one of the capitals of the pillars leading to the chancel, which were reputedly designed by Holbein. There is a statue by Leslie Cubitt Bevis of More outside the church, facing the river.There is a 1669 memorial to Lady Jane Cheyne. It was designed by Gian Lorenzo Bernini but executed by an apprentice.
Gala Bingo Club, Tooting Distance: 2.3 miTourist Information Bickley St London, United Kingdom SW17 9NA
The Gala Bingo Club, Tooting is a Grade I Listed Building in Tooting, an area in the London borough of Wandsworth. Originally built as one of the great luxurious Art Deco cinemas of the 1930s, it is still considered by many to be the most spectacular cinema in Britain. In 2000 it became the first Grade I listed 1930s cinema and in 2015 was selected as an asset of community value.