8 Ogle Street London, United Kingdom W1W 6HS 020 7636 2883
Catholic Church Near St Charles Borromeo
The Church of The Immaculate Conception, Farm Street, Mayfair, LondonDistance: 0.8 miTourist Information 14 Farm Street London, W1K 3AH
The Church of The Immaculate Conception,
14 Farm Street,
London W1K 3AH,
The First Church in The Archdiocese of Westminster
The Immaculate Conception,
The First Church in The Archdiocese of Westminster
of The Society of Jesus
The Church of The Immaculate Conception,
14 Farm Street,
London W1K 3AH,
Less than 400 meters to the East of
the intersection of Park Lane and of South Street
Sine Labe Concepta,
ora pro nobis qui confugimus ad Te."
Conceived Without Sin,
pray for us who have recourse to Thee."
The Society of Jesus,
The British Province
The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Westminster,
The Metropolitan Cathedral of The Most Precious Blood of Our Lord Jesus Christ,
The Seat of The Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Westminster
The Mother Church of England and of Wales
Rex et Redemptor,
per Sanguinem Tuum,
King and Redeemer,
through Thy Most Precious Blood,
The Reverend Father Wilbert Mireh,
The 1st Priest of The Society of Jesus in Myanmar,
Ordained to The Presbyterate on May 1, 2013,
The Reverend Father Titus Tin Maung,
The 2nd Priest of The Society of Jesus in Myanmar,
Ordained to The Presbyterate on April 28, 2014,
The Reverend Father Joseph Aik Maung,
The 3rd Priest of The Society of Jesus in Myanmar,
Ordained to The Presbyterate on May 4, 2014,
The Society of Jesus,
The Roman Catholic Metropolitan Archdiocese of Yangon,
The Society of Jesus,
The Asia Pacific Conference
María Eduarda Serrano Genuino
The Reverend Father Guillrey Anthony Mallari Andal,
The Jesuit Communications Foundation
The Reverend Father Antonio Martín Basilio,
The Reverend Father Erik John Jumalon Gerilla,
The Reverend Father Joseph Emmanuel Almazan Liwanag,
The Reverend Father Jordan Jubas Orbe,
The Reverend Father Rubén Bullecer Orbeta,
The Reverend Father Neupito Japus Saicon,
The Reverend Brother Edmundo Adolfo de León Fernández,
Institutum Fratrum Scholarum Christianarum,
The Brother Visitor,
The Lasallian East Asia District
China and Hong Kong,
Monica Panlilio Papa-Eugenio,
Paolo Miguel Papa Eugenio,
Franco Alejandro Papa Eugenio,
María Isabel del Prado Buenaventura-Tambunting, *
Ángela Verónica del Prado Cruz-Vogl, Signora Stephan Helmut Vogl, * *
Felix Krisztián Cruz Vogl * *
* Ordo Equestris Sancti Sepulcri Hierosolymitani
* * Ordo Militaris et Hospitalis Sancti Ioannis Hierosolymitani de Rhodo et Malta
The Church of the Immaculate Conception, Farm Street, also known as Farm Street Church, is a Roman Catholic parish church run by the Society of Jesus in Mayfair, central London. Its main entrance is in Farm Street, though it can also be accessed from the adjacent Mount Street Gardens. Sir Simon Jenkins, in his book England's Thousand Best Churches, describes the church as "Gothic Revival at its most sumptuous".
Farm Street, the Jesuit church in the Mayfair district of London, has a special place in the hearts of many people, Catholics and non-Catholics alike. For over a hundred and fifty years it has served a community drawn to this church by its reputation for spiritual and intellectual vigour. Many have regularly travelled some distance to worship in this church and to seek the help and advice of the succeeding generations of priests who have served here. Since 1966 the church has been at the heart of a parish in the centre of Mayfair. The Jesuit community here has always consisted of Priests and Brothers attached specifically to the church, working in other apostolates or in retirement. The Parish is more than a geographic one, attracting its congregation not only from all over London and its surrounds but visitors from all over the world.
Notre Dame de France is the Roman Catholic Francophone Chaplaincy in London run by the Marist Fathers.
Ukrainian Catholic Cathedral of the Holy Family in ExileDistance: 0.7 miTourist Information 21-22, Binney Street Mayfair, London W1K 5BQ London, W1K 5 020 7629 1073
The Cathedral of the Holy Family in Exile is the cathedral of the Ukrainian Greek Catholic Eparchy of Holy Family of London. Though independent from the authority of the Latin Rite hierarchy in England and Wales, and instead under the jurisdiction of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchial bishop, territorially, the cathedral is considered to be part of the Marylebone deanery of the Latin Rite Catholic Archdiocese of Westminster.It is the named after the Holy Family, during their flight into Egypt. It is located at Duke Street, Mayfair, London, England. It is open for worship daily. It was closed temporarily in 2007 when part of the ceiling collapsed, but has since been refurbished. The iconostasis created by a Ukrainian monk, Juvenalij Mokrytsky, was not affected by the ceiling's collapse.The building it occupies was designed by Alfred Waterhouse in 1891 for occupation by the Congregational King's Weigh House. They sold it to the Ukrainian Catholics in 1967.
St. Patrick’s was built with the love and the pennies of the poor. The poor, both spiritually and materially, are very much part of this community and the parish in its two hundred and twenty years of history, continues to serve them as best it can. It does so in an area where the prosperous, rich and fashionable share the streets with the desperate and disenfranchised, just as they did when the first Mass was celebrated here back in 1792.
The visitor to St James's Church is often puzzled to know why a church which stands in George Street, W1, should have derived a kind of secondary title from a street called Spanish Place which can be found opposite the Presbytery door. The explanation is that St James's, Spanish Place, like so many of the older parishes in the Westminster diocese, can trace its origin to the penal times and to the benefactions of a friendly Catholic embassy. And this is perhaps the reason why, despite the magnificence of the church, there is within an atmosphere that breathes our Catholic past.
In the reign of Elizabeth I the Bishops of Ely let their palace and chapel in Ely Place to the Spanish Ambassador, and until the reign of Charles I it was occupied by the representative of the Court of Spain. During this period the chapel was freely used by English Catholics and became a place of sanctuary for them.
After the restoration of Charles II the Spanish Embassy was re-established in London, first on Ormond Street and then at Hartford house, Manchester Square, where the Wallace Collection is now housed. Here, in 1791, shortly after the first repeal of some of the laws affecting Catholic worship, a chapel was built on the corner of Spanish Place and Charles Street (now George Street), largely through the efforts of Doctor Thomas Hussey who had been a chaplain at the Embassy since his ordination in 1769. Most of the objects of piety in the present church are legacies from this older building which was famous enough in its day to be mentioned by Thackeray in Vanity Fair as the church attended by the Marchioness of Steyne.
Dr Hussey, to whom this mission owes so much and who was for so long associated with it, later became Bishop of Waterford and Lismore. Deep religious impressions and a desire for solitude had led him, soon after ordination, to the renowned Abbey La Trappe with the desire to take the habit of that order. This determination would certainly have been carried out had it not been for the influence of lijs confessor who, feeling that the talents of Dr Hussey would in that case be lost to the Church, wrote to Rome for a mandate restraining his penitent from carrying out his intention of taking monastic vows. It was in obedience, then, to the Holy See that Dr Hussey returned to the active scene and he now ranks as the founder of Spanish Place.
In the year 1827 the official Spanish connection with the chapel ceased and it was handed over to the London Vicariate. However, there is much in the present church to remind us of our Spanish heritage including Alfonso XIII's personal standard which is in a frame over the sacristy door, and the parishioners of Spanish Place have never forgotten their debt to Spain for having established and maintained the mission in the dark days. An unofficial connection with the Embassy of Spain has continued and is still cherished by the Church of St James today.
A recurring anxiety from 1827 was the fact that the chapel was on leasehold property and the lease was not renewable. Funds were raised with a view to purchasing a site and building a new church, but as the neighbourhood was almost entirely divided up into large estates, it seemed impossible to find a site anywhere near the old chapel. One tradition has it, however, that the Rector towards the end of the lease, Canon William Barry, had a great devotion to the Holy Souls and he promised a hundred Masses for their repose in petition for a site. Soon after he had redeemed his promise the site of the present church, immediately opposite the old chapel, came up for sale at £30,000, the exact sum which Barry and his predecessors had collected towards a new church. The site was purchased and the design for a new church was made an open competition. Edward Goldie, great grandson of the architect of the old chapel, Signor Joseph Bonomi, won the competition and the present edifice, partially completed, was opened on Michaelmas Day, 1890.
The Church was consecrated on 28th Juneil, 1949, by His Lordship Bishop Craven: a rare privilege for at that time he was parish priest and rector, and thus consecrated his own church. The consecration had been planned on two previous occasions but had had to be postponed - in 1935 because of the death of Cardinal Bourne, and in 1940 because of the second World War.
Most of the archives of the old Spanish Chapel have gone to Spain, but there are preserved in the Church both Baptismal and Marriage Registers dating back to 1732.
St James's Church, Spanish Place, is a large English Gothic Roman Catholic church in Marylebone, London. Although currently situated in George Street, the church maintains its connection with Spanish Place, the road opposite the current church, because of its historic connection with the Spanish Embassy.SiteThe church is located in George Street, Marylebone, behind the Wallace Collection and close to Marylebone High Street.HistoryIn the reign of Elizabeth I the Bishops of Ely let their palace and chapel in Ely Place to the Spanish Ambassador and, until the reign of Charles I, it was occupied by the High Representative of the Court of Spain. During this period the chapel was freely used by English Roman Catholics and became a sanctuary to some degree for them.After the restoration of Charles II the Spanish Embassy was re-established in London, first on Ormond Street and then at Hertford House, Manchester Square, where the Wallace Collection is now housed. Here, in 1791, shortly after the Roman Catholic Relief Act 1791 repealed some of the laws affecting Catholic worship, a chapel was built on the corner of Spanish Place and Charles Street (now George Street), largely through the efforts of Doctor Thomas Hussey who had been a chaplain at the embassy since his ordination in 1769. Most of the objects of piety in the present church are legacies from this older building. In 1827 the official Spanish connection with the chapel ceased and it was handed over to the London Vicariate.
St Marylebone Parish Church is an Anglican church on the Marylebone Road in London. It was built to the designs of Thomas Hardwick in 1813–17. The present site is the third used by the parish for its church. The first was further south, near Oxford Street. The church there was demolished in 1400 and a new one erected further north. This was completely rebuilt in 1740–42, and converted into a chapel-of-ease when Hardwick's church was constructed. The Marylebone area takes its name from the church. Located behind the church is St Marylebone School, a Church of England school for girls.Previous churchesFirst churchThe first church for the parish was built in the vicinity of the present Marble Arch c.1200, and dedicated to St John the Evangelist.Second churchIn 1400 the Bishop of London gave the parishioners permission to demolish the church of St John and build a new one in a more convenient position, near a recently completed chapel, which could be used until the new church was completed. The bishop stipulated that the old churchyard should be preserved, but also gave permission to enclose a new burial ground at the new site, The church was dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It was closer to the village, at the north end of Marylebone High Street. Having fallen into a state of decay, it was demolished in 1740.
St Marylebone Parish Church is a place of active and engaged Christian witness, set at the very heart of central London. With a history stretching back nearly 900 years, we seek to offer God worship that has long been renowned for musical and liturgical excellence and to serve the diverse community in which we are set.
For more than 30 years, St Marylebone, just a few metres from Harley Street, has pioneered the work of Christian healing and, as well as being home to the internationally respected St Marylebone Healing and Counselling Centre, which offers low-cost analytical psychotherapy and spiritual direction, the Crypt at St Marylebone also houses an innovative NHS doctor’s surgery - the Marylebone Health Centre. Our work is enhanced by maintaining close and active links with some of medicine’s Royal Colleges and through our provision of chaplaincy to The London Clinic and King Edward VII’s Hospital.
St Marylebone has a flourishing Young Church which complements our two schools: The St Marylebone Church of England School, an Outstanding Academy, National Teaching School and Maths Hub, and The St Marylebone Church of England Bridge School, a Free Special School working with secondary school age students who have speech, language and communication difficulties. Alongside our two schools St Marylebone works closely with the Royal Academy of Music and the University of Westminster, providing chaplaincy services to both, and also with Regent’s University.
As a parish church in the Diocese of London, we share a vision of a Church for this great world city that is Christ-centred and outward looking. By God’s grace we seek to be more confident in speaking and living the Gospel of Jesus Christ, more compassionate in serving others with the love of God the Father and more creative in reaching new people and places in the power of the Spirit.
St Pancras Church is a Greek Revival church in St Pancras, London, built in 1819–22 to the designs of William and Henry William Inwood. It was historically often referred to as St Pancras New Church, in order to distinguish it from St Pancras Old Church, which stands some way to the north.LocationThe church is on the northern boundary of Bloomsbury, on the south side of Euston Road, at the corner of Upper Woburn Place, in the borough of Camden. When it was built its west front faced into the south-east corner of Euston Square, which had been laid out on either side of what was then simply known as the "New Road". It was intended as a new principal church for the parish of St Pancras, which once stretched almost from Oxford Street to Highgate. The original parish church was small ancient building to the north of New Road. This had become neglected following a shift in population to the north, and by the early 19th century services were only held there once a month, worship at other times taking place in a chapel in Kentish Town. With the northwards expansion of London into the area, the population in southern part of the parish grew once more, and a new church was felt necessary. Following the opening of the New Church, the Old Church became a chapel of ease, although it was later given its own separate parish. During the 19th century many further churches were built to serve the burgeoning population of the original parish of St Pancras, and by 1890 it had been divided into 33 ecclesiastical parishes.
St Michael's Church is the principal Anglican church for Camden Town in north London. The present building, designed by George Frederick Bodley and Thomas Garner in a Gothic Revival style, dates to the late 19th century.HistoryThe congregation was begun in 1881 at a building nearby which now houses a betting shop ; a service was held in the shop to begin the celebrations for the church's 125th anniversary in 2002.The present building was the first London church designed by Bodley and Garner and is built of brick with stone dressings in the decorated Gothic style. The nave was completed in 1881 and the chancel added and consecrated in 1894 under its first vicar, Father Edward Penfold. A north west tower was planned but never built. The interior has a continuous, stenciled waggon ceiling covering both nave and chancel, and a vaulted north chapel. The west front was restored in 2005 and a new roof was completed in August 2007. The church is Grade II* listed, for its interior.In 1954 the parish of St Michael's subsumed those of All Saints, Camden Town (which had become a Greek Orthodox church in 1948) and St.Thomas, Agar Town, Wrotham Road (whose 1864 building was demolished due to war damage). In 2003 St Michael's became part of the St Pancras Team Ministry, with St Pancras Old Church, St Mary's Church, Somers Town, and St Paul's Church, Camden Square.
Romanian Embassy 1 Belgarve Sq. Distance: 1.5 miTourist Information 1 Belgrave Sq. London, United Kingdom
Middlesex Guildhall Distance: 1.5 miTourist Information Parliament Square, LONDON, SW1P 3BD London, United Kingdom SW1P 3BD
The Middlesex Guildhall is the home of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom and of the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council. It stands on the south-west corner of Parliament Square in London.HistoryThe location in Parliament Square was the site of the belfry of Westminster Abbey and it was used as a market from 1750 to 1800. The justices of the City and Liberty of Westminster took it over and an octagonal guildhall with a Doric portico was constructed by Samuel Pepys Cockerell in 1805. In 1889 Westminster became part of the County of London, outside the county of Middlesex. In the division of property between the Middlesex and London county councils, the guildhall at Westminster went to Middlesex in exchange for the Middlesex Sessions House in Clerkenwell. A neo-Tudor guildhall was constructed on the site in 1893 by F. H. Pownall.The current building was built between 1912 and 1913, designed by J. S. Gibson, in what Pevsner called an "art nouveau gothic" style, and decorated with medieval-looking gargoyles and other architectural sculptures by Henry Charles Fehr. The county council and the Middlesex sessions were abolished in 1965 and the Guildhall continued to be used by the Greater London Quarter Sessions. After the abolition of the Quarter Sessions it was used as a Crown Court centre.
Matthew Parker Street Distance: 1.4 miTourist Information 4 Matthew Parker Street London, United Kingdom SW1H 9NP
34 Queen Anne's Gate Distance: 1.4 miTourist Information 34A Queen Annes Gate London, United Kingdom SW1H 9
Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre Distance: 1.4 miTourist Information Broad Sanctuary, Westminster London, United Kingdom SW1P 3EE
The Queen Elizabeth II Centre is in the City of Westminster, London, close to the Parliament of the United Kingdom.HistoryThe site now occupied by the Queen Elizabeth II Centre was previously occupied by several buildings. At the northern end of the site were the headquarters of the Stationery Office which had originally been the "Parliamentary Mews" built in 1825 by Decimus Burton and converted in 1853-5. The southern side was occupied by the Westminster Hospital built by W & H W Inwood in 1831-4 and expanded later that century and in 1924. The previous buildings became surplus to requirements in 1950 and were demolished; designs were drawn up by Thomas Tait for building a new Colonial Office on the site; however only the foundations had been built by the time progress was halted in 1952.DesignIn 1958 it was decided that there would be an open space on the southern edge of the site by Broad Sanctuary, and an architectural competition for a conference hall and government offices was held in 1961. The competition was won by William Whitfield but the scheme was not progressed due to the plans for redeveloping Whitehall drawn up by Leslie Martin in 1965. The site remained in limbo until a feasibility study for the conference centre was drawn up in 1975. The centre as eventually built was designed by Powell Moya & Partners and constructed by Bovis Construction with work starting in 1981; it was opened by Queen Elizabeth II in 1986.
Parliament Square Distance: 1.5 miTourist Information Parliament Square London, United Kingdom SW1A 2
Parliament Square is a square at the northwest end of the Palace of Westminster in London. It features a large open green area in the centre with trees to its west and it contains eleven statues of statesmen and other notable individuals.As well as being one of London's main tourist attractions, it is also the place where many demonstrations and protests have been held. The square is overlooked by various official buildings: legislature to the east (in the Houses of Parliament), executive offices to the north (on Whitehall), the judiciary to the west (the Supreme Court), and the church to the south (with Westminster Abbey).LocationBuildings looking upon the square include the churches Westminster Abbey and St Margaret's, Westminster, the Middlesex Guildhall which is the seat of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom, Government Offices Great George Street serving HM Treasury and HM Revenue and Customs, and Portcullis House.Roads that branch off the Parliament Square are St. Margaret Street (towards Millbank), Broad Sanctuary (towards Victoria Street), Great George Street (towards Birdcage Walk), Parliament Street (leading into Whitehall), and Bridge Street (leading onto Westminster Bridge).
Wilton Crescent Distance: 1.5 miTourist Information Wilton Crescent London, United Kingdom SW1X 8
Wilton Crescent is a street in Belgravia, London.OverviewWilton Crescent was created by Thomas Cundy II, the Grosvenor family estate surveyor, and was drawn up with the original 1821 Wyatt plan for Belgravia. It was named at the time of Thomas Egerton, 2nd Earl of Wilton, second son of Robert Grosvenor, 1st Marquess of Westminster on whose estate the road was built in 1825 by Seth Smith.In the 19th and 20th century, it was home to many prominent British politicians, ambassadors and civil servants. Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma (1900–1979) lived at 2 Wilton Crescent for many years. Today there is a blue plaque on the house marking this. Like much of Belgravia, Wilton Crescent is characterised by grand terraces with lavish white houses which are built in a crescent shape, many of them with stuccoed balconies, particularly on the southern part of the crescent. The houses to the north of the crescent are stone clad and five stories high and were refaced between 1908 and 1912. Most of the houses had originally been built in the stucco style, but such houses became stone clad during this renovation period. Other houses today have black iron balconies.Wilton Crescent lies east of Lowndes Square and Lowndes Street, to the northwest of Belgrave Square. It is accessed via Wilton Place which connects it to the main road in Knightsbridge. It is adjacent to Grosvenor Crescent to the east, which contains the Indonesian Embassy. Further to the east lies Buckingham Palace. The play Major Barbara is partly set at Lady Britomart's house in Wilton Crescent. In 2007, Wilton Garden in the middle of the crescent won a bronze medal by the London Gardens Society.