EuroZoid
Discover The Most Popular Places In Europe

Skydebanehaven, København | Tourist Information


Absalonsgade 12
København, Denmark 1709


Skydebanehaven is a small public park in the heart of the Vesterbro district of Copenhagen, Denmark. Its name refers to the former shooting range of the Royal Copenhagen Shooting Society which used to be located on the site. The most distinctive feature of the park is the Neo-Gothic Shooting Range Wall which was constructed in 1887 to shield traffic on Istedgade from stray bullets. The other end of the park is bounded by the rear of the former headquarters of the Shooting Society, a Neoclassical mansion which now houses the Museum of Copenhagen.HistoryIn the 1750s Royal Copenhagen Shooting Society established a shooting range in the area which was located outside the fortified city, next to the main road leading in and out of the Western City Gate. In 1782 the society acquired a 3.5 hectare piece of land, stretching from present day Vesterbrogade to the beach just south of the city. The society also built a mansion, completed in 1787, which was to serve as a venue for its active social life.When Vesterbro started to develop in the second half of the 19th century, after the city had been allowed to develop beyond its now decommissioned fortifications, the City expropriated much of the Shooting Society's grounds. In 1887 a tall wall was constructed to shield newly established Istedgade from stray bullets from the shooting range. The wall was designed by the architect Ludvig Knudsen in a Neo-Gothic style. Knudsen also modernized the interior of the Shooting Society's mansion in the 1890s and added a small new wing towards the gardens.

Landmark Near Skydebanehaven

Gemini Residence
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Islands Brygge 32A
København, 2300

Gemini Residence is a residential building on the Islands Brygge waterfront in Copenhagen, Denmark. Built to the design of MVRDV, the building has been created by converting two former seed silos. It is located at the end of Bryggebroen, connecting Amager-side Islands Brygge to Zealand-side Vesterbro across the harbour, and close to the southern end of Havneparken.With a reference to the twin silos that have given the building its shape, Gemini Residence takes its name from the Astrological sign Gemini, the Latin name of the Zodiac sign The Twins.HistoryDansk Soyakagefabrik was a soybean processing plant establishing in the Islands Brygge area in 1909. It produced oil and animal feed and grew to the largest employer in the area, in the 1950s employing 1,200 mainly local workers. The two silos now converted into Gemini Residence were built in 1963. After the plant closed in the 1990s, the area was redeveloped to a new district with both residential and office buildings. The conversion of the two seed silos was carried out from 2002-05.

Fisketorvet
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Kalvebod Brygge 59
København, 1560

3336 6400

Fisketorvet - Copenhagen Mall is a shopping centre located on the Kalvebod Brygge waterfront in Copenhagen, Denmark. Fisketorvet is a part of a four-star quality labelling that ensure the quality being at its best. The labelling involves both baby lounge, play area, mobile charging, cool drinking water and much more. The centre has to live up to 684 criteria in order to keep this labelling, which is controlled by extern and independent quality people.Fisketorvet - Copenhagen Mall regularly hosts events for the guests such as: January Sale Fastelavn (a Danish Carnival) Copenhagen Cooking & Food Festival Holiday tickets Summer Sale Black FridayThe centre is located at Fisketorvet Dybbølsbro Station close to the city and next to the harbour.HistoryThe shopping centre takes its name after Copenhagen's old fish market which was located at the site from 1958 until 1999 when it moved to new premises in the North Harbour. The shopping centre was designed by Kiehlers Architects and opened on 10 October 2000. It is owned by Unibail-Rodamco.FacilitiesFisketorvet has a floor area of 58,000 square metres. With 120 stores, making it Denmark's third largest shopping centre. It also contains 15 restaurants and cafés as well as a CinemaxX cinema with 14 screens and IMAX - outstanding sound and unique picture.

Vester Fængsel
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Vigerslev Allé 1D
København, 2450

Humleby
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
küchlergade
København, 1770

Humleby is an enclave of terraced houses situated next to the Carlsberg area in the Vesterbro district of Copenhagen, Denmark. They were built between 1885 and 1891 by the Worker's Building Society to provide healthy housing for the workers at Burmeister & Wain.The area consists of 235 three storey houses. They were designed by Frederik Bøttger, the architect of the Building Society, who was inspired by English working-class housing.Streets Vesterfælledvej Ny Carlsberg Vej* Freundsgade - named after the sculptor Hermann Ernst Freund (1786-1840) Jerichausgade - named after the sculptor Jens Adolf Jerichau (1816-1883) Bissensgade - named after Herman Wilhelm Bissen (1798-1868) Ernst Meyers Gade - named after the painter Ernst Meyer (1797-1861) Lundbyesgade - named after the painter Johan Thomas Lundbye (1818-1848) Küchlersgade - opkaldt efter the painter Albert Küchler (1803-1886) Carstensgade - named after the painter Asmus Jacob Carstens (1754-1798)

Ørneborgen
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Oehlenschlægersgade 47, 2.th
København, 1663

DGI-byen
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Tietgensgade 65
København, 1704

DGI-byen is a facility that houses various spa facilities, restaurants, hotels, conference facilities, a bowling alley, flexible multi-centres, sports clubs, a superellipse shaped swimming pool and Vandkulturhuset, (Danish for "Water Culture House"), located in central Copenhagen, Denmark.DGI-byen is situated within the Meat District (Kødbyen), a historical industrial area that was transformed into a recreation area for cultural and leisure activities from 1993. However, most of DGI-byen consists of new buildings, in contrast to the rest of the Meat District. One exception is Øksnehallen, formerly a stable for 1,600 cattle, now an exhibition and events venue.First parts of the complex were opened in 1999. It is named after Danske Gymnastik- og Idrætsforeninger ("Danish Gymnastics and Sports Associations"), the main umbrella organisation of 5,000 local sports associations in Denmark with 1,3 million members. The second part of the name is by, Danish for "town" or "city", hinting that the facilities are extensive enough to operate as a mini city within Copenhagen.The main building is a 22,000 square metre facility situated directly behind Copenhagen Central Station. A walled-off portion provides infrastructure for DGI-byen's numerous cultural activities and events. DGI-byen is a rapidly expanding area of the city, with ongoing construction. DGI-byen hosts a variety of banquets, concerts, etc. One recognizable landmark seen from the Central Station is a giant outdoor climbing gym wall. The recreational facilities are aimed at the common public, rather than a business or upscale segment.

Husets Teater
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Husets Teater Halmtorvet 9
København, 1700

33227707

Husets Teater is a studio theatre in Copenhagen, Denmark. It takes its name from the Huset cultural centre in the city centre, where it was founded in 1975, but has since 1995 been based at Halmtorvet in a building which is part of the Brown Meat District.HistoryThe theatre grew out of the alternative cultural environment around the The House in Magstræde which had grown out of the political protest movement of the late 1960s. From its foundation in 1975 it served as a platform for contemporary political theatre, and both a venue for local ensembles such as Natholdet and frequently playing host to visiting international ensembles from countries such as Sweden and Italy.From the mid-1980s, the theatre's repertoire became more focussed on drama with plays such as Bertholt Brecht's Baal and Rainer Werner Fassbinder's controversial play Garbage, the City, and Death which in Klaus Hoffmeyer's staging caused debate for its rawness.After a duo consisting of the director Søren Iversen and Lisbeth Sjölin took over the leadership in 1992 and its move to new premises in the Brown Meat District, the theatre has created a profile as a venue for newer Danish and international drama of relevance to people of today: Astrid Saalbach's trilogy Morning and Evening, The Blessed Child and Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust (1996–97) and Nicoline Werdelin's The Fanciers (1997) and My Two Sisters (2001). The theatre has won several Reumert Awards in recent years.

Sorte Hest
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Vesterbrogade 135
København, 1620

51304451

Sorte Hest is the oldest building in the Vesterbro in Copenhagen, Denmark. It used to be a roadside inn, then located well outside the limits of the fortified city, standing on the Vestre Landevej leading in and out of Copenhagen through the Western City Gate. It provided accommodation for travellers as well as citizens who failed to enter the city before the city gates were locked at sunset. Today it houses a bakery and café as well as apartments.HistoryThe four HorsesThe Black Horse was one out of four inns known as "Horses" located along the western access road to Copenhagen. Closest to the city stood the Green Horse, then followed the White Horse, the Yellow Horse and farthest out, on the border to Frederiksberg, the Black Horse. In between these inns were even more establishments catering for travellers. Competition was thus fierce and at some point both the Green and White Horses closed.The Yellow Horse, with four pavilions and two bowling courses, only survived because it also went into tobacco manufacturing. Part of the area between the Vestre Landevej and Frederiksberg Allé was laid out as tobacco fields and a horse-driven mill was constructed for the processing of tobacco into snus. Other exotic produce cultivated on the estate included peaches, apricots, mulberries and grapes. In the mid-19th century the property was acquired by a couple of akvavit manufacturers who had realized that real estate was a much more lucrative business. They became rich from selling off the land in parcels to developers to use for the construction of multi-story apartment buildings, turning Vestre Landevej into urban Vesterbrogade.

Vesterbrogade Copenhagen
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Vesterbrogade
København,

Vesterbrogade
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Vesterbrogade
København, 1620

Vesterbrogade is the main shopping street of the Vesterbro district of Copenhagen, Denmark. The 1.5 km long street runs from the City Hall Square in the east to Pile Allé in Frederiksberg in the west where it turns into Roskildevej. On its way, it passes Copenhagen Central Station as well as the small triangular square Vesterbros Torv. It is one of four such -bro streets, the other being Nørrebrogade, Østerbrogade and Amagerbrogade.HistoryEarly historyVesterbroghade originates in the 12th-century country road that led in and out of Copenhagen's Western City Gate. The road passed Sankt Jørgens Bæk (St. George's Stream) on its way to Valby and often changed course. On 20 August 1624, Christian IV ordered that the road be cobbled, first to Vernedamsvej and later all the way to Valby. The road was at this point called Alvejen ("The Public Road"= or Adelvejen ("The Nobility Road") but in 1650 the name was changed to Roskildegaden ("The Roskilde Street").

Vesterbrogade
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Vesterbrogade
København, 1620

Vesterbrogade is the main shopping street of the Vesterbro district of Copenhagen, Denmark. The 1.5 km long street runs from the City Hall Square in the east to Pile Allé in Frederiksberg in the west where it turns into Roskildevej. On its way, it passes Copenhagen Central Station as well as the small triangular square Vesterbros Torv. It is one of four such -bro streets, the other being Nørrebrogade, Østerbrogade and Amagerbrogade.HistoryEarly historyVesterbroghade originates in the 12th-century country road that led in and out of Copenhagen's Western City Gate. The road passed Sankt Jørgens Bæk (St. George's Stream) on its way to Valby and often changed course. On 20 August 1624, Christian IV ordered that the road be cobbled, first to Vernedamsvej and later all the way to Valby. The road was at this point called Alvejen ("The Public Road"= or Adelvejen ("The Nobility Road") but in 1650 the name was changed to Roskildegaden ("The Roskilde Street").

Vesterbros Torv
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Vesterbros Torv 1
København, 1620

Vesterbros Torv is a public square located at the corner of Vesterbrogade and Gasværksvej in the heart of the Vesterbro district of Copenhagen, Denmark. It is dominated by Elijah's Church.History and architectureThe square was established in 1850. Its triangular shape of the space was determined by a series of rope walks which used to be located at the site. The two buildings which flank Elijah's Church date from the establishment of the square.The church was completed as an infill in 1907. It is designed by Martin Nyrop.On the opposite side of the square, the two buildings which flank the passageway which passes through The New Theatre, one of them with a characteristic tower, was built as part of the large theatre complex. The theatre was inaugurated in 1908 and is built to a design which mixes Art Nouveaux with other styles.FeaturesHercules FountainThe Hercules Fountain dates from 1915 and was a gift from the society Hovedstadens forskønnelse. It was designed by the sculptor Rasmus Harboe who had previously created the reliefs on the facade of Elijah's Church.Memorial plaqueA plaque on No. 55A commemorates the World War II resistance fighter Erik Koch Michelsen. He was shot at the site on 3 March 1945.

Vesterbros Torv
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Vesterbros Torv 1
København, 1620

Vesterbros Torv is a public square located at the corner of Vesterbrogade and Gasværksvej in the heart of the Vesterbro district of Copenhagen, Denmark. It is dominated by Elijah's Church.History and architectureThe square was established in 1850. Its triangular shape of the space was determined by a series of rope walks which used to be located at the site. The two buildings which flank Elijah's Church date from the establishment of the square.The church was completed as an infill in 1907. It is designed by Martin Nyrop.On the opposite side of the square, the two buildings which flank the passageway which passes through The New Theatre, one of them with a characteristic tower, was built as part of the large theatre complex. The theatre was inaugurated in 1908 and is built to a design which mixes Art Nouveaux with other styles.FeaturesHercules FountainThe Hercules Fountain dates from 1915 and was a gift from the society Hovedstadens forskønnelse. It was designed by the sculptor Rasmus Harboe who had previously created the reliefs on the facade of Elijah's Church.Memorial plaqueA plaque on No. 55A commemorates the World War II resistance fighter Erik Koch Michelsen. He was shot at the site on 3 March 1945.

Little Mermaid Copenhagen
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Langelinie
København,

W1
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Westend 1
Copenhagen, 1661

W1
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Westend 1
Copenhagen, 1661

Det Ny Teater
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Gammel Kongevej 37
København, 1610

Det Ny Teater is an established theatre in Copenhagen, Denmark, first opened in 1908. It is based in a building which spans a passage between Vesterbrogade and Gammel Kongevej in Copenhagen's theatre district on the border between Vesterbro and Frederiksberg.With more than 12,000 m2 it is one of Denmark's largest theaters. It has two stages, the main auditorium which seats more than 1,000 and Sceneriet, a smaller theatre established in the cellar in 1994.HistoryEstablishmentThe site of the theatre, then a worn down apartment block, was in the spring of 1902 acquired by a development company, Bona, which had plans to build a large theatre and in the same time to open a passage between Gammel Kongevej and the new Vesterbro Passage, now part of Vesterbrogade, which was the backbone in a westward expansion of Copenhagen's city centre. Bona engaged Viggo Lindstrøm in the project as artistic consultant, he had been resident actor and director at Folketeatret but resigned after a fashionable controversy with its director, and in 1906 the company applied the Ministry of Justice for a license for the theatre's operation. The application was initially rejected by Peter Adler Alberti, the minister of Justice, supposedly due to a link with Folketeatret's director, but after personal intervention from King Frederik, the license was finally granted.

Nimb Hotel
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Bernstorffsgade 5
København, 1620

+45 88 70 00 00

Nimb Hotel, or simply the Nimb, is a five-star boutique hotel in the Tivoli Gardens in Copenhagen, Denmark. The hotel is located in a historic building from 1909, built in a Moorish-inspired Historicist style. In 2009, Condé Nast Traveller ranked it as #40 on their list of the best hotels in the world.HistoryWhen Tivoli opened in 1843, there was already a "Bazar in the Chinese style" almost at the site of the current building. It housed a restaurant and shops but burned down in 1862. A new building in the same style was ready the following year but it was torn down in 1908 in connection with the construction of Copenhagen Central Station. The existing building was built close to the original site, this time designed by architect and Tivoli director Knud Arne Petersen, and opened in 1909.Nimb takes its name from Wilhelm and Louise Nimb, who had created a restaurant dynasty in Copenhagen. They were brought in by Tivoli to manage the restaurant Divan 2, which still exists. Under their supervision, it gained major popularity and became a favoured hang-out for the city's establishment, colloquially known as Nimb's Verenda. The couple's two daughters, Henriette (1863 – 1919) and Serina (1865 – 1939), were brought up to take part in the family business and when the Bazar reopened in 1909 they took over the running of it. Later the building housed various establishments but kept its name, before undergoing major renovation and reopening in 2008 as the Nimb Hotel, with a cluster of gourmet-oriented enterprises.

Tycho Brahe Planetarium
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Gl. Kongevej 10
København, 1601

The Tycho Brahe Planetarium is located in Copenhagen, Denmark, at the southern end of Skt. Jørgens Sø. It is named after astronomer Tycho Brahe. It was designed by MAA Knud Munk and opened on November 1, 1989.The planetarium is built where the theater Saltlageret was previously located. The foundation stone was placed on February 22, 1988, and the planetarium opened on November 1, 1989. The financial basis for building the planetarium was a 50,000,000 DKK donation by Bodil and Helge Petersen to the Urania foundation, which administered the construction of the planetarium.The planetarium has an IMAX theater, as well as a digital system which can show more than 10,000 stars. Before each show the guests are taken on a spacejourney using the new Digital Universe.ExhibitionThe permanent exhibition 'The Active Universe' has information about astronomy, space and spacetravel. Here is one of the largest lunar rocks on display in the world, with a mass of just over 200 g. It was brought back from the Moon by the Apollo 17 spacecraft in 1972. You can also see the Heat-1X Tycho Brahe spacerocket that was launched by Copenhagen Suborbitals in 2011.In March 2013 the new activity 'A Journey through Space' opened, in one of the side corridors of the exhibition.

Vester Voldgade
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
vester voldgade
København, 1552

Vester Voldgade is a street in Copenhagen, Denmark which runs from Jarmers Plads to the waterfront between Frederiksholms Kanal and Langebro, passing the City Hall Square on the way.Together with Nørre Voldgade and Øster Voldgade it forms a traffic artery which arches around the Zealand side of central Copenhagen all the way to Kastellet HistoryVester Voldgade was originally a narrow alley which ran along the inner margin of Copenhagen's West Rampart, part of the Bastioned Fortification Ring which enclosed Copenhagen.The city's haymarket was located at the site of the current City Hall Square until the New Haymarket was inaugurated on 1 January 1888. The section from the haymarket to the harbour was originally known as Filosofgangen (English: Philosopher's Path). That section of the ramparts was one of the last to be decommissioned, surviving until 1885. Lange Bridge was located at the far end of the street until 1903 when it was moved to the end of Vestre Boulevard (now H. C. Andersens Boulevard).

Copenhagen City Hall
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Rådhuspladsen
København, 1700

Copenhagen City Hall is the headquarters of the municipal council as well as the Lord mayor of the Copenhagen Municipality, Denmark. The building is situated on The City Hall Square in central Copenhagen.ArchitectureThe current building was inaugurated in 1905. It was designed by the architect Martin Nyrop in the National Romantic style but with inspiration from the Siena City Hall. It is dominated by its richly ornamented front, the gilded statue of Absalon just above the balcony and the tall, slim clock tower. The latter is at 105.6 metres one of the tallest buildings in the generally low city of Copenhagen.In addition to the tower clock, the City Hall also houses Jens Olsen's World Clock.HistoryThe current city hall was designed by architect Martin Nyrop and the design for the building was inspired by the city hall of Siena, Italy. Construction began in 1892 and the hall was opened on September 12, 1905.Before the city hall moved to its present location, it was situated at Gammeltorv/Nytorv. The first city hall was in use from about 1479 until it burned down in the great Copenhagen fire of 1728.

Imperial Theater, Copenhagen
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Ved Vesterport 4
København, 1654

Imperial has the largest single screen in Northern Europe with 1002 seats, which is also the biggest screen in the world to feature Dolby Atmos. It is among the best cinemas in Copenhagen and is usually the go-to place for cinephiles in the Danish capital. Imperial is owned by Nordisk Film and is located near Vesterport Station. It has undergone several renewals, the latest of which were completed in September 2013 when Dolby Atmos was installed. It is one of the only big cinemas in Copenhagen which can still project 70 mm film, as well as the only one which can project 4K in 3D.RenewalsThe cinema has undergone several renewals over the years. Among the biggest can be mentioned the change from 1521 to 1179 seats in 1988, with the number of seats being further reduced in 1998 in order to pass the THX-certification. The current projector is Barco's premium model, the DP4K-32B, which was installed in February. This allowed Imperial to project 4K imagery in 3D as the first cinema in Denmark. The latest renewal took place in September 2013 when a new borderless, 40% bigger screen was installed, along with Dolby Atmos and new seats. The number of rows was also reduced from 24 to 21, and the total number of seats went down to 1002.Technical detailsPictureThe main workhorse is the Barco DP4K-32B which was installed in 2012. In order to continue to support the projection of legacy films, as well as newer movies which are not distributed digitally, Imperial still has one of the two Philips EL4001 DP70's, which were first installed back when it first opened in 1957. The screen itself is 18,4 x 7,7 m, in the Todd-AO format. It is slightly curved and among the absolutely biggest screens in Denmark.

Danske Bank
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
holmens kanal
Copenhagen,

Nytorv
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Nytorv 15
Copenhagen, 1450

33117706

Nytorv is a public square in the centre of Copenhagen, Denmark. Together with the adjoining Gammeltorv it forms a common space, today part of the Strøget pedestrian zone. The square is dominated by the imposing Neoclassical façade of the Copenhagen Court House, which from 1815-1905 also served as the City Hall.HistoryThe new marketNytorv was created by Christian IV in 1610 when he cleared an area behind the City Hall in connection with his adaptation of the building in a Renaissance style. Nytorv thrived as a marketplace, as did Gammeltorv, which was located on the other side of the city hall. It was at Nytorv that the butchers carried out their work, while most of the sales took place at Gammeltorv.The city's scaffoldNytorv also became the location of the city's scaffold and a pillory. Pillories were also found at a number of other sites around the city. A permanent scaffold was not constructed until 1627, and in 1728, when the City Hall was rebuilt after the Copenhagen Fire of 1728, an octagonal masonry podium was built.Between 1728 and 1740, Ludvig Holberg lived in a house on the corner of Gammeltorv and Nygade, on the border between the two squares. In an epigram, originally in Latin, he commented on the dual nature of the site, between posh Gammeltorv, with the Caritas Well (the 'ancient arts'), and Nytorv with its sinister execution facilities:

Danish Agency for Culture and Palaces
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
H.C. Andersens Boulevard 2
København, 1553

The Danish Agency for Culture is an agency under the aegis of the Danish Ministry of Culture. The agency carries out the cultural policies of the Danish government within the visual and performing arts, music, literature, museums, historical and cultural heritage, broadcasting, libraries and all types of printed and electronic media. It works internationally in all fields, and increased internationalisation of Danish arts and cultural life is a top priority. The Danish Agency for Culture was founded on 1 January 2002 when the Danish Heritage Agency, the Danish Arts Agency and the Danish Agency for Libraries and Media merged.ResponsibilitiesSites and monumentsAncient sites and monuments include burial mounds, rock carvings, runic stones, road tracks, military fortifications, castles, ruins, etc. Underwater sites, including shipwrecks more than a hundred years old, are also covered. Construction sites often reveal ancient settlements and burial finds. Many towns have cultural layers from Medieval times to the present.All sites and monuments are protected from destruction under the Danish Museum Act which is administered by the Heritage Agency.The Heritage Agency does not own any sites and monuments itself, though it manages the restoration of selected megalithic tombs and Medieval ruins. To the extent that the State owns listed buildings, they are owned and administrated by the Palaces and Properties Agency.Listed buildingsThere are more than 9,000 listed buildings in Denmark while another 300,000 have been deemed "worthy of preservation". The Heritage Agency is responsible for listed buildings, while the local authorities are responsible for buildings worthy of preservation. Most listed and preserved buildings are privately owned.Status as listed is not restricted to very old or very grand buildings. Eligibility extends to everything from castles and mansions to town halls, prisons, farmhouses, factories, warehouses and filling stations.

Gammeltorv
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Vester Gade
Copenhagen,

Dansk Sprognævn
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Worsaaesvej
København,

Dansk Sprognævn is the official regulatory body of the Danish language as a part of the Danish Ministry of Culture, and resides at the University of Copenhagen. It was established in 1955. The committee has three main objectives: to follow the development of the language to answer inquiries about the Danish language and its use to update the official Danish dictionary, Retskrivningsordbogen The working members of the committee follow written and broadcast media, read books to keep track of new words and record their usage. New words which have appeared enough in print and speech to be considered notable are added to Retskrivningsordbogen, which all government institutions and schools are obliged by law to follow. The committee receives some 14,000 inquiries by phone or mail each year about the Danish language, half of them from private companies, but also by private citizens.Dansk Sprognævn cooperates on a daily basis with its equivalents in the other Scandinavian countries, the Swedish and Norwegian Language Councils, to make sure that the three Mainland Scandinavian languages, which are more or less mutually intelligible, do not diverge more than necessary from one another.

Church of Our Lady
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Nørregade 8
Copenhagen, 1168

+4558520645

The Church of Our Lady is the cathedral of Copenhagen. It is situated on Frue Plads and next to the main building of the University of Copenhagen.The present day version of the church was designed by the architect Christian Frederik Hansen in the neoclassical style and was completed in 1829.HistoryConstruction of the original Collegiate Church of St. Mary, began no later than 1187 under Bishop Absalon. The church was located on the highest point near the new town of Havn, later Copenhagen. Bishop Absalon (1128–1201) was Bishop of Roskilde (Zealand), Denmark's capital of that era, and spent most of his life securing Denmark from foreign attacks. He built many churches and monasteries, while also founding Copenhagen as Denmark's Baltic port city. Named Archbishop of Lund in 1178, Absalon accepted only under threat of excommunication. St. Mary's construction continued sporadically until 1209, when it was consecrated by Absalon's successor, Bishop Peder Sunesen on Annunciation Sunday in March, which became the church's traditional feast day. The church was built in Romanesque style with its half-rounded arches inside and out.In 1314, a fire destroyed the limestone church so completely that it was rebuilt in the popular new building material of the day, over-sized red brick. The style of building was Gothic, with its typical pointed arches. The rebuilding of the simple church with a long nave and choir continued until 1388. Due to a lack of money, the great tower was not built until the reign of Christian II. It was as high as the church was long, and from artwork of the day, out of proportion to the size of the church.

St. Peter's Church, Copenhagen
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Sankt Peders Stræde 2
København, 1453

St. Peter's Church (Danish: St. Petri Kirke, German: St.-Petri-Kirche) is the parish church of the German-speaking community in Copenhagen, Denmark. Built as a single-nave church in the mid-15th century, it is the oldest building in central Copenhagen. It is also notable for its extensive complex of sepulchral chapels.HistorySt. Peter's Church was in the Middle Ages one out of four Catholic parish churches in Copenhagen. It is first mentioned in 1304 but was most likely founded in the 12th century. The first church burnt down in 1380 but was rebuilt shortly thereafter. After the Reformation the church building was for a while used as a canon and bell foundry.Frederick II presented St. Peter's Church to his German-speaking subjects in 1585. The building was renovated by Hans van Steenwinckel the Elder who also added a gablet upper floor to the uncompleted tower, which was however replaced by a spire in the 17th century. The church became a centre for Copenhagen's political, economic, cultural and military elite, which, like the Royal Court, relied on German for everyday use.The rapidly growing congregation made it necessary to expand the church in several stages. Christian IV added a northern transept in 1631 and a southern transept in 1634. Just 60 years later, Christian V extended the north transept with a further three severies. The distinctive sepulchral chapels arose between 1648 and 1740.

Ørstedsparken
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Nørre voldgade
København, 1358

Ørstedsparken is a public park in central Copenhagen, Denmark. One in a series of parks which were laid out on the grounds of the old fortification ring after it was decommissioned in the 1870s, the park still retains elements from the old fortifications in its topography—a section of the moat now serve as an elongated lake and former bastions appear in the landscape as small hills. The park is named for the brothers Ørsted, the politician and jurist Anders Sandøe Ørsted, and the physicist Hans Christian Ørsted, who both are commemorated with monuments in the park.HistoryWhen Copenhagen's old fortification ring was decommissioned in 1868 and its grounds were relinquished to the City, it was decided that a significant part of it should be reserved for parkland for the city's rapidly growing population. The City Council adopted a plan for the redevelopment of the area in 1872 which resulted in three new parks—Ørstedparken, the no longer existing Aborreparken and Østre Anlæg—as well as the relocation of University of Copenhagen Botanical Garden a few years later.Ørstedsparken includes the area from Ahlefeldt's Bastion til Bastion to Helmer's Bastion of the old Western Rampart. Gardener and landscape architect Henrik August Flindt was charged with the design and construction began in 1876. The new park was inaugurated on 27 October 1879. It was a promenade park and also included Copenhagen's first public playground. The grounds were listed in 1963.

Landmark and Historical Place Near Skydebanehaven

Danske Naturparker
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
Scandiagade 13
København, Denmark 2450

21134303

Mærkningsordningen Danske Naturparker åbnede i sommeren 2013 og skal mærke områder med natur af særlig regional eller lokal betydning og gode rekreative friluftsmuligheder. Mærkningsordningen er udviklet af Friluftsrådet på baggrund af erfaringer fra syv pilotprojekter i 2009-2012. Grundlaget for danske naturparker er en enestående natur, men også kulturmiljø, rekreative muligheder, formidling og erhverv er vigtige elementer i en naturpark. Naturparker defineres således: Danske naturparker er større sammenhængende landskaber af regional betydning. De vil ofte indeholde naturområder af national og international betydning. De er velafgrænsede med stor landskabelig skønhed, naturrigdom og kulturhistorisk værdi. De repræsenterer landskaber karakteristiske for landets forskellige egne, som bør nyde særlig beskyttelse af hensyn til nuværende og kommende generationer. Etablering af naturparker i Danmark skal give naturen et løft og give befolkningen bedre muligheder for friluftsoplevelser tæt på, hvor de bor. Naturparkerne skal sætte fokus på kommunernes naturperler og bidrage til en koordineret planlægning og udvikling, der tager hensyn til at forbedre naturkvaliteten og de rekreative behov. Mærkningsordningen Danske Naturparker udvikles med støtte fra Nordea-fonden

DieselHouse
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
Elværksvej 50
Copenhagen, Denmark 2450

32 54 02 27

DieselHouse is an interactive exhibition on diesel technology located on the grounds of the still operating H. C. Ørsted Power Station in the South Docklands of Copenhagen, Denmark. The exhibition is centred on a gigantic decommissioned Burmeister & Wain diesel engine which was the world's largest for more than 30 years.History and premisesThe result of a collaboration between Museum of Copenhagen and MAN Diesel, DieselHouse opened in a former machine hall at H. C. Ørsted Power Station in June 2006. The conversion of the building was undertaken by Gottlieb & Paludan Architects and has retained the machine hall’s basic structures but inserted three new storeys with exhibition space and a gallery that flanks the large diesel engine. The exhibition space and gallery have a terse modern design which contrasts with the industrial surroundings.ExhibitionThe exhibition displays several diesel engines of different sizes. The largest of the engines, which was built in 1932 and remained the world's largest for more than 30 years, stands 12.5 meters tall and 24.5 meters wide and weighs 1,400 tons. It produces 22,500 HP and supplied Copenhagen with electricity. It remained in use during peak demand until the 1970s. During World War II a resistance group consisting of workers at the power station used the engine for hiding weapons. It is started up the first and third Sunday every month at 11 am and runs for 5 to 10 minutes. The museum also exhibits Burmeister & Wain's first diesel engine from 1904 with a modest 40 HP and a single cylinder. It is started up every Thursday at 2 pm.

Vestre Fængsel
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Vigerslev alle 1d
København, Denmark 2450

Vestre Fængsel is the main jail of the Danish capital, Copenhagen. Erected in 1895, it is Denmark's largest prison with a total capacity of 530 inmates. It primarily houses pretrial detainees, not convicted felons.During much of the German occupation of Denmark, Vestre Fængsel was operated by German police.

Sønder Boulevard
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
sønder boulevard
København, Denmark 1720

Sønder Boulevard is a boulevard in the Vesterbro district of Copenhagen, Denmark, whose broad central reserve has been turned into a linear park with various facilities for sports and other activities. It extends from Halmtorvet and continues south-west to Enghavevej at Enghave station.HistorySønder Boulevard follows the initial stretch of Denmarks first railway, the West Line between Copenhagen and Roskilde, which opened in 1847. In 1864, the rail line was moved to a more northern corse, through Frederiksberg, before being moved to its current position just south of Sønder Boulevard in 1911. The portion of the abandoned railway terrain closest to the city was transformed into a street known as Ny Stormgade, but Sønder Boulevard in its current form was established in 1905. The name was chosen to complement Vester Boulevard (en. West Boulevard), which was renamed H. C. Andersens Boulevard in 1954.In World War II, a stray British bomb hit No. 106 and exploded during Operation Carthage on 21 March 1945, killing 11 people in the building.Sønder Boulevard was long a dilapidated thoroughfare dominated by traffic. The elm trees which originally lined it were hit by Dutch elm disease and had to be removed.

Copenhagen International Tattoo Convention
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Tap 1 , Ny Carlsberg Vej 91
København, Denmark

Enghaveparken
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Enghavevej
København, Denmark 1761

Enghaveparken is a public park in the Vesterbro district of Copenhagen, Denmark. It was laid out in the late 1920s to cater for the citizens of the expanding city.The park is designed in the Neoclassical style. It has grassy lawns, flower beds and contains a bandstand, a playground and facilities for sports as well as barbecuing.HistoryIn the late 19th century, the Royal Danish Horticultural Society established 478 allotments in "Dronningens Enghave" at the site where Enghaveparken lies today. In the 1920s the allotments were moved and the small public park Enghaven was laid out under the direction of City Architect Poul Holsøe, who also designed the red-brick social housing which was built at the same time and borders the park on three sides. Tredje Natur has won a competition to redesign the park.Layout and featuresThe slightly rectangular park is divided into six spaces: a water garden, a rose garden, a perennial garden, a sports section, a playground and a 'meeting place'.Basin and fountainAlong its central axis, in front of the main entrance which faces Enghavevej, there is a gravel area centred on a square basin with a fountain. It is popular with ducks and grey heron which come from a colony on a small island in close-by Frederiksberg Park.

Humleby
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
küchlergade
København, Denmark 1770

Humleby is an enclave of terraced houses situated next to the Carlsberg area in the Vesterbro district of Copenhagen, Denmark. They were built between 1885 and 1891 by the Worker's Building Society to provide healthy housing for the workers at Burmeister & Wain.The area consists of 235 three storey houses. They were designed by Frederik Bøttger, the architect of the Building Society, who was inspired by English working-class housing.Streets Vesterfælledvej Ny Carlsberg Vej* Freundsgade - named after the sculptor Hermann Ernst Freund (1786-1840) Jerichausgade - named after the sculptor Jens Adolf Jerichau (1816-1883) Bissensgade - named after Herman Wilhelm Bissen (1798-1868) Ernst Meyers Gade - named after the painter Ernst Meyer (1797-1861) Lundbyesgade - named after the painter Johan Thomas Lundbye (1818-1848) Küchlersgade - opkaldt efter the painter Albert Küchler (1803-1886) Carstensgade - named after the painter Asmus Jacob Carstens (1754-1798)

Rejsemessen for Kvalitetsrejser
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Halmtorvet 11
København, Denmark 1700

70224436

DGI-byen
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Tietgensgade 65
København, Denmark 1704

DGI-byen is a facility that houses various spa facilities, restaurants, hotels, conference facilities, a bowling alley, flexible multi-centres, sports clubs, a superellipse shaped swimming pool and Vandkulturhuset, (Danish for "Water Culture House"), located in central Copenhagen, Denmark.DGI-byen is situated within the Meat District (Kødbyen), a historical industrial area that was transformed into a recreation area for cultural and leisure activities from 1993. However, most of DGI-byen consists of new buildings, in contrast to the rest of the Meat District. One exception is Øksnehallen, formerly a stable for 1,600 cattle, now an exhibition and events venue.First parts of the complex were opened in 1999. It is named after Danske Gymnastik- og Idrætsforeninger ("Danish Gymnastics and Sports Associations"), the main umbrella organisation of 5,000 local sports associations in Denmark with 1,3 million members. The second part of the name is by, Danish for "town" or "city", hinting that the facilities are extensive enough to operate as a mini city within Copenhagen.The main building is a 22,000 square metre facility situated directly behind Copenhagen Central Station. A walled-off portion provides infrastructure for DGI-byen's numerous cultural activities and events. DGI-byen is a rapidly expanding area of the city, with ongoing construction. DGI-byen hosts a variety of banquets, concerts, etc. One recognizable landmark seen from the Central Station is a giant outdoor climbing gym wall. The recreational facilities are aimed at the common public, rather than a business or upscale segment.

Halmtorvet
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Halmtorvet
København, Denmark 1656

Halmtorvet is a public square in the Vesterbro district of Copenhagen, Denmark. It is located next to Copenhagen Central Station in front of the Meat District. The oblong square eventually turns into Sønder Boulevard, a broad street with a park strip in its central reserve, which continues to Enghavevej at Enghave station.HistoryCopenhagen's haymarket was originally located just inside the Western City Gate where the City Hall Square lies today. It closed on 1 January 1888 and relocated to the area outside the new Livestock Market which had opened at the site in 1879. Market days were Wednesday and Saturday and up to several hundred loads of hay and straw were traded and distributed to cattle and horse stables around the city.Up through the 20th century, with improved infrastructure, livestock moved out of the city and horses lost their role in transportation, and the haymarket finally closed. The area fell into despair and became associated with prostitution and drug dealing. The site was also dominated by through traffic, buses and goods transport.The area underwent gradual gentrification up through the 1990s and Halmtorvet was thoroughly refurbished from 1999 to 2003 as part of a major programme for urban renewal in the Vesterbro area. The first stage was designed by the office of the City Architect and completed in 2000. The second and third stages were designed by the Park Office of the City and carried out in 2003. In order to obtain a coherent space in the area a large gas regulator in front of the Brown Meat District was removed.

Istedgade
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Istedgade
København, Denmark 1650

Istedgade is a street located in the district of Vesterbro in the Danish capital, Copenhagen.Located west of Copenhagen Central Station, Istedgade is a 1-kilometer straight street starting in the cheap hotel district, moving through the porn and drugs area to modern Vesterbro, where 1900s tenement style blocks have undergone significant modernization and the street now cuts through one of the hippest neighbourhoods in Copenhagen. It is generally considered the main traffic artery and the heart of Vesterbro.The lewd part of Istedgade has for many years constituted its image along with the local residents' views of themselves as true working class, united under the 1940s (during German occupation) slogan "Istedgade overgiver sig aldrig!" (Istedgade will never surrender!) To this day a banner with the slogan is flown across the street around Liberation Day (5 May) to commemorate the Istedgade uprising and general strikes of the summer of 1944.Today, as almost all of Istedgade and with it Vesterbro has undergone a gentrification. Hip stores and cool cafes abound while real estate prices have risen faster than in most of Copenhagen.Notable cafes and bars: Riccos kaffebar (coffee shop, open 9 am – 11 pm)Bang og Jensen (cafe and bar)Riesen bar, around the corner up Oehlenschlägersgade (bar, open Wed–Sat 8 pm – late night)Vega, on Enghavevej around the corner from Enghave Plads (concerts, DJs, nightclubs and bars, including Ideal bar. Open bar most days, nightclub Wed–Sat till late, scheduled concerts all year round)Blomsten (bodega from the late 1880s)

Rysensteen Gymnasium
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Tietgensgade 74
Copenhagen, Denmark 1704

33 24 43 11

Rysensteen Gymnasium is a gymnasium (upper secondary school) in Copenhagen, DenmarkIt was founded by Laura Engelhardt and opened in 1881.Notable alumniWith graduation dates: 1931 Kirsten Auken – medical doctor 1944 Bodil Udsen – actress 1955 Ester Larsen – politician 1966 Karen Jespersen – politician 1983 Line Barfod - politician 1983 Naser Khader – politician 1987 Manu Sareen - politician, writer of children's books 1992 Iben Claces - writerHeadmasters 1919-1931 Maria Nielsen 1931-1950 Anne Marie Bo 1950-1963 Aagot Lading 1963-1970 Svend Atke

Tivoli
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Vesterbrogade 3
København, Denmark 1630 V

33151001

Tivolis åbningstider i 2016 Halloween i Tivoli: 14. oktober - 6. november Jul i Tivoli: 19. november - 31. december Tivoli Box Office holder åbent året rundt. Her kan du købe billetter til forestillinger og koncerter både i og uden for Tivoli. Box Office har åbent i Havens åbningstid og uden for sæson mandag-fredag 10-18. For program og mere se tivoli.dk.

Tycho Brahe Planetarium
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Gammel kongevej 10, KBH
København, Denmark 1610

+45 33 12 12 24

På Tycho Brahe Planetarium kommer du på en fantastisk digital rumrejse i Solsystemet, ud gennem Mælkevejen og ud til de fjerneste galakser. Rumrejsen vises på Tycho Brahe Planetariums 1000 kvadratmeter store kuppel. Som en del af rumrejsen ser du desuden en af vores 3D- eller IMAX-film, der handler om planeten Jorden og det omkringliggende univers. Under rejsen får du også seneste nyt fra rummet og en introduktion til den aktuelle stjernehimmel. Tycho Brahe Planetarium har en permanent udstilling om astronomi og rumfart og ofte vises særudstillinger om aktuelle emner. I alle weekender er der gratis rundvisning i udstillingen, når entréen er betalt. I Planetariets lille sal i udstillingen vises korte 3D-film. Tycho Brahe Planetarium danner jævnligt rammen om offentlige arrangementer om astronomi og rumfart – typisk i forbindelse med begivenheder på himlen eller igangværende rummissioner. Tycho Brahe Planetariums nyhedstjeneste leverer de seneste nyheder om astronomi og rumforskning og skoleservice støtter elever og deres lærere med at få mest muligt ud af deres besøg på Planetariet – bl.a. med særlige skoletilbud.

City Hall Square, Copenhagen
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Rådhuspladsen
København, Denmark 1553

The City Hall Square is a public square in the centre of Copenhagen, Denmark, located in front of the Copenhagen City Hall. Its large size, its central location and its affiliation with the city hall make it a popular venue for a variety of events, celebrations and demonstrations. It is often used as a central point for measuring distances from Copenhagen.The City Hall Square is located at the southwestern end of the pedestrian street Strøget which connects it to Kongens Nytorv, the other large square of the city centre, passing Gammeltorv/Nytorv and Amagertorv along the way. Opposite Strøget, Vesterbrogade extends into the Vesterbro district and later crosses the border to Frederiksberg. H. C. Andersens Boulevard, Copenhagen's most heavily congested street, and Vester Voldgade pass the square on either side of the city hall.Apart from the City Hall, notable buildings around the square include Politikens Hus, the headquarters of national daily newspaper Politiken, and Industriens Hus, the headquarters of the DI.

Creative Space
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Gl. Kongevej 154
Frederiksberg, Denmark 1850

+45 33 79 00 72

Hos Creative Space kan du male på keramik. Du vælger selv imellem 160 forskellige slags keramik, samt 80 forskellige farver du kan male med. Du vælger hvad du vil male på, vi fortæller dig om farverne og giver gode tips og tricks. Når du er færdig glaserer og brænder vi dine ting, og du kan hente dem en uge senere. Det færdige produkt er en perfekt måde at give en unik gave på eller forevige et minde med andre personer. Du får mulighed for at udtrykke dit kreative talent, uden at dine evner er afgørende. Du kan afholde teambuilding, polterabend, fødselsdage komme med vennerne eller bare dig selv.

Gammeltorv
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Gammeltorv
København, Denmark 1457

Gammeltorv is the oldest square in Copenhagen, Denmark. With adjoining Nytorv it forms a common space along the Strøget pedestrian zone. While the square dates back to the foundation of the city in the 12th century, most of its buildings were constructed after the Great Fire of 1795 in Neoclassical style. Another dominating feature is the Caritas Well, a Renaissance fountain erected by King Christian IV in 1610.Historically, Gammeltorv has been the focal point of Copenhagen's judicial and political life as well as one of its two principal marketplaces. Several former city halls have been located on the square or in its immediate vicinity. Surprisingly, its name is not a reference to adjoining Nytorv but to the slightly younger Amagertorv, Copenhagen's other major market in early times.HistoryOriginsAlready prior to Absolon's construction of his castle on Slotsholmen, there seems to have been a marketplace at Gammeltorv, possibly also a Thing. Copenhagen's first town hall, of which practically nothing is known, was built on the east side of the square but later destroyed during Hanseatic capture and pillaging of the city in 1368. In 1374 the square is referred to as Forum and in 1446 the square is referred to as "the old square" as opposed to the somewhat younger Amagertorv. From 1470 the name Gammeltorv is used consistently.