EuroZoid
Discover The Most Popular Places In Europe

Piazza San Marco Venezia, Venice | Tourist Information


Piazza San Marco, Venezia
Venice, Italy 30030


Piazza San Marco Venezia

Landmark and Historical Place Near Piazza San Marco Venezia

Murano Glass Fine Art
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
giudecca 621
Venice, 30133

0418500011

Church of San Giorgio Maggiore
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore, Sestiere di San Marco
Venice,

San Giorgio Maggiore is a 16th-century Benedictine church on the island of the same name in Venice, northern Italy, designed by Andrea Palladio, and built between 1566 and 1610. The church is a basilica in the classical renaissance style and its brilliant white marble gleams above the blue water of the lagoon opposite the Piazzetta and forms the focal point of the view from every part of the Riva degli Schiavoni.HistoryThe first church on the island was built about 790, and in 982, the island was given to the Benedictine order by the Doge Tribuno Memmo. The Benedictines founded a monastery there, but in 1223, all the buildings on the island were destroyed by an earthquake.The church and monastery were rebuilt after the earthquake. The church, which had a nave with side chapels, was not in the same position as the present church, but farther back at the side of a small campo or square. There were cloisters in front of it, which were demolished in 1516. The monks were considering the rebuilding of the church from 1521.Palladio arrived in Venice in 1560, when the refectory of the monastery was being rebuilt. He made great improvements to this and in 1565, was asked to prepare a model for a new church. The model was completed and approved in 1566 and the foundation stone was laid in the presence of the Pope in the same year. The work was not finished before the death of Palladio in 1580, but the body of the church was complete by 1575, except for the choir behind the altar and the facade. The decoration of the interior was completed subsequently.

San Giorgio Maggiore (church), Venice
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Isola di S.Giorgio Maggiore
Venice, 80135

San Giorgio Maggiore is a 16th-century Benedictine church on the island of the same name in Venice, northern Italy, designed by Andrea Palladio, and built between 1566 and 1610. The church is a basilica in the classical renaissance style and its brilliant white marble gleams above the blue water of the lagoon opposite the Piazzetta and forms the focal point of the view from every part of the Riva degli Schiavoni.HistoryThe first church on the island was built about 790, and in 982, the island was given to the Benedictine order by the Doge Tribuno Memmo. The Benedictines founded a monastery there, but in 1223, all the buildings on the island were destroyed by an earthquake.The church and monastery were rebuilt after the earthquake. The church, which had a nave with side chapels, was not in the same position as the present church, but farther back at the side of a small campo or square. There were cloisters in front of it, which were demolished in 1516. The monks were considering the rebuilding of the church from 1521.Palladio arrived in Venice in 1560, when the refectory of the monastery was being rebuilt. He made great improvements to this and in 1565, was asked to prepare a model for a new church. The model was completed and approved in 1566 and the foundation stone was laid in the presence of the Pope in the same year. The work was not finished before the death of Palladio in 1580, but the body of the church was complete by 1575, except for the choir behind the altar and the facade. The decoration of the interior was completed subsequently.

Santa Maria della Salute
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Grand Canal
Venice, 30123

Santa Maria della Salute, commonly known simply as the Salute, is a Roman Catholic church and minor basilica located at Punta della Dogana in the Dorsoduro sestiere of the city of Venice, Italy.It stands on the narrow finger of Punta della Dogana, between the Grand Canal and the Giudecca Canal, at the Bacino di San Marco, making the church visible when entering the Piazza San Marco from the water. The Salute is part of the parish of the Gesuati and is the most recent of the so-called plague-churches.In 1630, Venice experienced an unusually devastating outbreak of the plague. As a votive offering for the city's deliverance from the pestilence, the Republic of Venice vowed to build and dedicate a church to Our Lady of Health . The church was designed in the then fashionable baroque style by Baldassare Longhena, who studied under the architect Vincenzo Scamozzi. Construction began in 1631. Most of the objects of art housed in the church bear references to the Black Death.

Punta della Dogana
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Fondamenta Della Dogana Alla Salute
Venice, 30123

Punta della Dogana is an art museum in Venice's old customs building, the Dogana da Mar. It also refers to the triangular area of Venice where the Grand Canal meets the Giudecca Canal, and its collection of buildings: Santa Maria della Salute, Patriarchal Seminary of Venice, and Dogana da Mar at the triangle's tip.Geography and historyPunta della Dogana is located between the Grand and Giudecca Canals at the tip of an island in the Dorsoduro district. Adjacent to each other are the Dogana da Mar, Patriarchal Seminary, and Santa Maria della Salute. It is diagonal from the Piazza San Marco.The point was used for docking and customs as early as the beginning of the 15th century. The temporary structures built to store merchandise and customs workers were replaced by the Punta della Dogana, whose construction began in 1677.Dogana da MarThe museum's art is housed in and around the Dogana da Mar building. It was built between 1678 and 1682 as a customs house. The arcade styles reflect their construction in different eras. Atop the building are statues of Atlas, built to represent the supremacy of the Republic of Venice. The two slaves hold a golden ball upon which Giuseppe Benoni's Fortune stands. The 17th-century statue turns in the wind. The last renovation of the building was done by Alvise Pigazzi in 1838.

Design.Ve
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Castello 1794
Venice, 30122

+39 328 6583871

San Vidal, Venice
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
San Marco, 2862
Venice, 30124

San Vidal is a former church, and now an event and concert hall located at one end of the Campo Santo Stefano in the Sestiere of San Marco, where it leads into the campiello San Vidal, and from there to the Ponte dell'Accademia that spans the Grand Canal and connects to the Sestiere of Dorsoduro, Venice, Italy.HistoryA church at the site was erected in the year 1084 by Doge Vitale Falier. This church was destroyed in 1105 by a major city fire. Reconstruction continued for centuries and was finished by the 16th century. But poor foundations, led to a renewed reconstruction in the 17th century, using designs Antonio Gaspari. It was rebuilt in 1696 to honor the former Doge Francesco Morosini. On the facade (1734–37), designed by Andrea Tirali, are sculpted portraits of one of the Doges from the House of Contarini and his wife.At present in 2016, the church is deconsecrated, and the chamber music group Interpreti Veneziani performs concerts at the church.InteriorThe main altarpiece is a San Vidal on Horseback with eight saints by Vittore Carpaccio; in the painting, four of the saints flank the saint on a white horse, while four are in the balconies above. The altar is flanked by two marble statues of the allegories of Faith and Fortitude by Antonio Gai. The interior also houses an Immaculate Conception by Sebastiano Ricci, a Crucifixion and Apostles by the female painter Giulia Lama, a Trinity with Saints Peter and Francesco di Paola by Giovanni Antonio Pellegrini, and a Guardian Angel with St Anthony of Padua and St Cajetan of Thiene'' by Giovanni Battista Piazzetta.

Santa Maria Zobenigo
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Campo Santa Maria del Giglio San Marco,
Venice, 30124

The Chiesa di Santa Maria del Giglio is a church in Venice, Italy.The church, whose name translates into St. Mary of the Lily referring to the flower classically depicted as being presented by the Angel Gabriel during the Annunciation), is more commonly known as Santa Maria Zobenigo after the Jubanico family who founded it in the 9th century. The edifice is situated on the Campo Santa Maria Zobenigo, west of the Piazza San Marco. It was rebuilt by Giuseppe Sardi for Admiral Antonio Barbaro between 1678 and 1681 and has one of the finest Venetian Baroque facades in all of Venice. The church is now part of the parish of San Moisè.ExteriorThe exterior lacks any Christian image statues or reliefs. It shows the marble relief maps of various places in which Antonio Barbaro served, including Candia, Zadar, Padua, Rome, Corfu and Split. His own statue, as the chief benefactor, in the center, sculpted by Josse de Corte, is flanked by representations of Honour, Virtue, Fame and Wisdom. The other statues are his brothers. At the top of the facade is the Barbaro family arms carved in relief.

Campo Santo Stefano
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Campo Santo Stefano, San Marco
Venice, 30124

Campo Santo Stefano is a city square near the Ponte dell'Accademia, in the sestiere of San Marco, Venice, Italy.Buildings around the squareSanto Stefano, VeniceSan Vidal, VenicePalazzo MorosiniPalazzo LoredanPalazzo Pisani a Santo Stefano

Palazzo Ducale
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
Piazza San Marco, 1
Venice, 30124

041 2715911

St Mark's Campanile
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
Piazza San Marco
Venice, 30124

St Mark's Campanile is the bell tower of St Mark's Basilica in Venice, Italy, located in the Piazza San Marco. It is one of the most recognizable symbols of the city.The tower is 98.6m tall, and stands alone in a corner of St Mark's Square, near the front of the basilica. It has a simple form, the bulk of which is a fluted brick square shaft, 12m wide on each side and 50m tall, above which is a loggia surrounding the belfry, housing five bells. The belfry is topped by a cube, alternate faces of which show the Lion of St. Mark and the female representation of Venice (la Giustizia: Justice). The tower is capped by a pyramidal spire, at the top of which sits a golden weathervane in the form of the archangel Gabriel. The campanile reached its present form in 1514. The current tower was reconstructed in its present form in 1912 after the collapse of 1902.HistoryThe initial 9th-century construction, initiated during the reign of Pietro Tribuno and built on Roman foundations, was used as a watch tower or lighthouse for the dock, which then occupied a substantial part of the area which is now the Piazzetta. Construction was finished in the twelfth century, during the reign of Domenico Morosini. Adjoining the base of the campanile is the loggetta built by Sansovino, completed in 1549 and rebuilt in 1912 after it had been destroyed by the fall of the campanile. One of the models for the tower was the St. Mercuriale's Campanile, in Forlì.

Carnival of Venice
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Piazza San Marco
Venice,

Margaret Duchamp
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
DORSO DURO 3019
Venice, 30123

041 52 86 255

Venezia Piazza San Marco
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Piazza San Marco
Venice, 37121

Bridge of Sighs
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Riva dei Schiavoni
Venice, 30124

The Bridge of Sighs is a bridge located in Venice, northern Italy. The enclosed bridge is made of white limestone, has windows with stone bars, and passes over the Rio di Palazzo and connects the New Prison to the interrogation rooms in the Doge's Palace. It was designed by Antonio Contino and was built in 1600.EtymologyThe view from the Bridge of Sighs was the last view of Venice that convicts saw before their imprisonment. The bridge's name, given by Lord Byron as a translation from the Italian "Ponte dei sospiri" in the 19th century, comes from the suggestion that prisoners would sigh at their final view of beautiful Venice through the window before being taken down to their cells. In reality, the days of inquisitions and summary executions were over by the time the bridge was built, and the cells under the palace roof were occupied mostly by small-time criminals. In addition, little could be seen from inside the bridge due to the stone grills covering the windows.Local legendsAccording to a local legend, lovers will be granted eternal love and bliss if they kiss on a gondola at sunset, under the Bridge of Sighs, as the bells of St Mark's Campanile toll. This legend served as a plot line for the movie A Little Romance, featuring Laurence Olivier and Diane Lane.

Torre dell'Orologio
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
Piazza San Marco
Venice, 30124

+39 041 2700370

Campo Santa Margherita
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Campo Santa Margherita
Venice, 30123

Campo Santa Margherita is a large city square in the sestiere of Dorsoduro of Venice, Italy. It is located near the University in Venice.Buildings around the squareScuola dei VaroteriOspizio ScrovegniScuola Grande dei CarminiSanta Margherita, VeniceSanta Maria dei Carmini

San Martino, Venice
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Castello 2298 - 30122 Venezia
Venice,

0456212489

San Martino is a Renaissance Roman Catholic church in the sestiere of Castello of Venice, northern Italy.HistoryThe church now stands near the Arsenale, and is officiated by a military chaplain. Initially founded in the 10th century, from 1546 to 1610 it was rebuilt based on a plan by Jacopo Sansovino.DescriptionThe facade was designed by Federico Berchet and Domenico Rupolo. The vault is frescoed with Saint Martin in Glory by Jacopo Guarana, with the quadratura painted by Domenico Bruni. The walls portray saints and evangelists by Matteo Zais. A funeral monument to Doge Francesco Erizzo was completed by Matteo Carneri. A chapel has a fresco cycle of the Glory of the Eucharist flanked by Sacrifice of Isaac and Sacrifice of Mechizedek on the walls by Fabio Canal. The 15th-century altar by Tullio Lombardo was brought here from the church of Santo Sepolcro. The sacristy is frescoed with a Last Supper and Resurrection by Girolamo da Santacroce. The church has a Risen Christ altarpiece by Santacroce. The sacristy ceiling is frescoed by Antonio Zanchi and Domenico Bruni.

San Zaccaria, Venice
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Campo San Zaccaria, 4693, 30122
Venice, 30122

The Church of San Zaccaria is a 15th-century former monastic church in central Venice, Italy. It is a large edifice, located in the Campo San Zaccaria, just off the waterfront to the southeast of Piazza San Marco and St Mark's Basilica. It is dedicated to St. Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist.HistoryThe first church on the site was founded by Doge Giustiniano Participazio in the early 9th century to house the body of the saint to which it is dedicated, a gift of the Byzantine Emperor Leo V the Armenian, which it contains under the second altar on the right. The remains of various doges are buried in the crypt of the church. The original church was rebuilt in the 1170s (when the present campanile was built) and was replaced by a Gothic church in the 15th century. The remains of this building still stand, as the present church was built beside and not over it.The present church was built between 1458 and 1515. Antonio Gambello was the original architect, who started the building in the Gothic style, but the upper part of the facade with its arched windows and its columns, and the upper parts of the interior were completed by Mauro Codussi in early Renaissance style seventy years later. The facade is a harmonious Venetian mixture of late-Gothic and Renaissance styles.

Views on Venice
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
San Marco 4267/A
Venice, 30124

+39 041 2411149

Our aim is to offer apartments for rental to an international clientele who’d take pleasure in the comfort, freedom and authenticity of ‘living at home as a Venetian’ rather than merely observing the city from the confines of an anonymous hotel room or suite. The common denominator is to offer ‘something extra’ amidst an already extraordinary city - an added dimension which turns a ‘stay’ into an ‘experience’ and a 'dream' into 'reality'... ...a prestigious or historic location, maybe a ravishing canal view, interiors with personality, perhaps a terrace or a garden...

Venetian Arsenal
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Arsenale di Venezia Spa - San Marco 180/c - 30124 Venezia
Venice, 30122

The Venetian Arsenal is a complex of former shipyards and armories clustered together in the city of Venice in northern Italy. Owned by the state, the Arsenal was responsible for the bulk of the Venetian republic's naval power during the middle part of the second millennium AD. It was "one of the earliest large-scale industrial enterprises in history".OverviewConstruction of the Arsenal began around 1104, during Venice's republican era. It became the largest industrial complex in Europe prior to the Industrial Revolution, spanning an area of about 45ha, or about fifteen percent of Venice. Surrounded by a 2mi rampart, laborers and shipbuilders regularly worked within the Arsenal, building ships that sailed from the city's port. With high walls shielding the Arsenal from public view and guards protecting its perimeter, different areas of the Arsenal each produced a particular prefabricated ship part or other maritime implement, such as munitions, rope, and rigging. These parts could then be assembled into a ship in as little as one day. An exclusive forest owned by the Arsenal navy, in the Montello hills area of Veneto, provided the Arsenal's wood supply.The Arsenal produced the majority of Venice's maritime trading vessels, which generated much of the city's economic wealth and power, lasting until the fall of the republic to Napoleon's conquest of the area in 1797. It is located in the Castello district of Venice, and it is now owned by the state.

Arcidiocesi Ortodossa d'Italia e Malta
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Castello 3421
Venice, 30122

0039-0415239569

La Sacra Arcidiocesi Ortodossa d'Italia ed Esarcato per l'Europa meridionale è stata istituita il 5 novembre 1991 con Tomo Patriarcale e Sinodale dal Patriarcato Ecumenico di Costantinopoli. Essa è Persona Giuridica agli effetti civili della Repubblica Italiana (DPR 16 luglio 1998). La fondazione dell'Arcidiocesi Ortodossa d'Italia costituisce il primo atto canonico ufficiale del Patriarca Ecumenico Bartolomeo I (22 ottobre 1991). Principale missione dell'Arcidiocesi è di provvedere alla cura spirituale degli ortodossi che si trovano in Italia creando parrocchie, chiese, monasteri, enti ed associazioni, scuole per l'educazione del clero e l'istruzione religiosa della gioventù ortodossa. Inoltre essa promuove il dialogo con tutte le Chiese e Confessioni cristiane presenti in Italia con scopo della reciproca conoscenza, del rispetto e della riconciliazione tra tutti i cristiani e con ogni uomo di buona volontà. Tra il gregge della Sacra Arcidiocesi, guidato spiritualmente e paternamente dal suo Arcivescovo – Metropolita, i suoi sacerdoti, le monache e i monaci, le sue chiese, parrocchie e monasteri, regna la multietnicità ortodossa, come segno visibile dell'appartenenza a una sola famiglia e popolo, alla nostra Madre Chiesa Ortodossa. Attività per il restauro delle Chiese e dei Monasteri Alla Sacra Arcidiocesi Ortodossa d’Italia la Chiesa Romano-Cattolica e diversi Comuni in Italia concedono Chiese e Monasteri, i quali diventano centri di spiritualità ed oasi di preghiera e di serenità, indispensabili per i Cristiani e per ogni uomo di buona volontà, ma necessitano di restauro o adattamento alla tradizione cultuale Ortodossa. Attività in favore delle famiglie Nel campo familiare si compie ogni possibile sforzo per sostenere moralmente le famiglie, seguendole da vicino: non solo spiritualmente, ma anche provvedendo alla soluzione dei diversi problemi nati proprio dal carattere misto della maggioranza delle nostre famiglie in Italia. L’intervento in tale settore si fa sempre più esigente e responsabile. Una particolare importanza viene data anche all’educazione religiosa della gioventù nelle esistenti strutture catechistiche delle parrocchie. Inoltre, in molte parrocchie si insegna la lingua italiana, promuovendo cosi l’inserimento nella società italiana. Attività filantropiche La filantropia esercitata nei confronti dei fedeli bisognosi, in particolare provenienti dai paesi dell’Europa orientale, costituisce una sempre più importante attività della Sacra Arcidiocesi Ortodossa d’Italia. In ogni parrocchia vi sono comitati caritativi che, oltre all’aspetto dell’assistenza materiale, si prendono cura anche dei vecchi, ammalati e prigionieri. Attività culturali Nell’ambito culturale vi è, a livello locale, un’ampia collaborazione con associazioni ed enti di cultura interessati a conoscere la cultura e la tradizione ortodossa. Tale attività si esplica attraverso l’organizzazione di conferenze, seminari di studio, concerti di musica ecclesiastica, ecc.; la diffusione di materiale bibliografico ed audiovisivo; le visite guidate nei luoghi di culto ortodosso d’Italia; le manifestazioni artistiche riguardanti in particolar modo la musica bizantina, le immagini sacre ed i luoghi sacri dell’Ortodossia. ***************************************************** Ai sensi della legge 20 maggio 1985,n.222, una somma pari all’8 per mille dell’IRPEF dovuta annualmente dai contribuenti viene assegnata allo Stato e alle Istituzioni religiose con le quali lo Stato italiano abbia stipulato apposite intese. La ripartizione di tale somma tra gli aventi diritto avviene in proporzione alle scelte dei contribuenti. La scelta non determina maggiori imposte dovute. A decorrere dal 2013, i contribuenti possono indirizzare la scelta per la destinazione dell’otto per mille alla Sacra Arcidiocesi Ortodossa d’Italia ed Esarcato per l’Europa Meridionale che, ai sensi dell’articolo 21 della legge 30 luglio 2012, n.126, utilizzerà le somme ricevute per finalità di culto e per scopi filantropici, assistenziali, scientifici e culturali. COME SI EFFETTUA LA SCELTA Per destinare l’otto per mille all'Arcidiocesi Ortodossa: - chi presenta il modello UNICO, deve apporre la propria firma sull’apposito riquadro del modello di dichiarazione da presentare nei modi ordinari; - chi presenta il mod.730, appone la propria firma sull’apposita scheda che, inserita in busta chiusa, deve essere consegnata al soggetto che ha prestato l’assistenza fiscale (CAF, professionista abilitato, sostituto d’imposta); - chi è esonerato dalla presentazione della dichiarazione e risulta titolare di redditi di lavoro dipendente o pensione certificati tramite CUD, appone la firma sull’apposita scheda allegata al CUD; quindi inserisce la scheda in apposita busta chiusa, (oppure in una busta bianca chiusa, dove bisognerà apporre la seguente dicitura: "CONTIENE MODELLO SCELTA OTTO PER MILLE", ed i dati anagrafici del contribuente: Nome, Cognome, Indirizzo completo e codice Fiscale) e la consegna, entro il 30 settembre, ad un ufficio postale che, senza richiedere alcun pagamento, ne rilascia ricevuta. Ci si può anche rivolgere ad un professionista abilitato o ad un CAF che provvederanno ad inviare telematicamente la scheda prefirmata e ne rilasciano ricevuta senza richiedere alcun pagamento.

Fortuny Museum
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
San Marco 3958 30124 Venise
Venice, 30124

+39 041 520 0995

The Palazzo Fortuny is an art museum in San Marco, Venice, Italy.Once owned by the Pesaro family, this Gothic building in Campo San Beneto, near the church of the same name, was transformed by Mariano Fortuny into his own photography, stage-design, textile-design and painting atelier. For a time, the palace was known as the Palazzo Orfei after an 18th-century tenant, a musical society known as the Accademia d'Orfeo. The building maintains the structure created by Fortuny, as well as its collections. The building was donated to the city in 1956 by Henriette Nigrin, Mariano’s widow. The collections within the museum comprise an extensive number of pieces which reflect the various fields investigated by the artist.The museum is run by the Fondazione Musei Civici Venezia (MUVE).

Escape Room Intrappola.TO Venezia
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Calle Seconda del Cristo 2919
Venice, 30125

+393347733737

PRENOTAZIONE OBBLIGATORIA Non chiedetevi come ci siete finiti, non perdete tempo. Avete solo 60 minuti per tornare nella vostra realtà. Ci sono degli indizi e delle trappole, sta a voi individuare la via di fuga. Ma il tempo scorre e i minuti vanno in fumo rapidamente. c'è solo una porta nella stanza ma aprirla non sarà un gioco da ragazzi! Avrete 60 minuti di tempo per aprire il lucchetto dell’unica porta che può ridarvi la libertà. Nella stanza troverete una serie di indizi che potrebbero aiutarvi a scoprire la combinazione. Dovrete risolvere degli enigmi e ricostruire la storia pensata da chi ha progettato la vostra prigione. Ma attenzione a non perdere tempo, i minuti scorrono rapidi e al suono delle campane se sarete ancora nella stanza sarete accompagnati sul patibolo.

Palazzo Pisani Moretta
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Sestiere San Polo, 2766
Venice, 30125

3936058906

Palazzo Pisani Moretta is a palace situated along the Grand Canal in Venice, Italy (in the sestiere of San Polo) between Palazzo Barbarigo della Terrazza and Palazzo Tiepolo.HistoryBuilt in the second half of the 15th Century by the Bembo family, the palace soon became the residence of a branch of the noble Pisani family (the Pisani Moretta branch). The palace was renovated, modified and extended over the following centuries, finally taking on its current aspect in the 18th Century. In fact many of the valuable interior decorations date back to the 18th Century. Past guests to the palace included important historic figures such as Tsar Paul I of Russia, Joséphine de Beauharnais and Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor.Palazzo Pisani Moretta remained in the Pisani family until it died out in 1880 but the building is still owned privately.The interior rooms were decorated by Baroque artists such as Tiepolo, Jacopo Guarana, Gaspare Diziani and Giuseppe Angeli. The palace once housed, among other things, Paolo Veronese's monumental painting The Family of Darius before Alexander, which was viewed here by Goethe in 1786 (diary entry from October 8 of that year) and acquired by the National Gallery, London, in 1857, where it now hangs. The palace is said to have housed a ceiling painting called, The Chariots of Aurora by Giovanni Antonio Pellegrini (1675-1741), which was restored and installed in the Library of George Vanderbilt's Biltmore House in Asheville, NC.

Teatro Goldoni
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
via fausta 136/f, Cà Savio
Venice, 30124

The Teatro Goldoni is one of the opera houses and theatres of Venice. Today it is the home of the Teatro Stabile del Veneto. The modern theatre is located near the Rialto Bridge in the historic center of Venice.

Rialto Bridge
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Grand Canal
Venice, 30125

The Rialto Bridge is one of the four bridges spanning the Grand Canal in Venice, Italy. It is the oldest bridge across the canal, and was the dividing line for the districts of San Marco and San Polo.HistoryThe first dry crossing of the Grand Canal was a pontoon bridge built in 1181 by Nicolò Barattieri. It was called the Ponte della Moneta, presumably because of the mint that stood near its eastern entrance.The development and importance of the Rialto market on the eastern bank increased traffic on the floating bridge, so it was replaced in 1255 by a wooden bridge. This structure had two inclined ramps meeting at a movable central section, that could be raised to allow the passage of tall ships. The connection with the market eventually led to a change of name for the bridge. During the first half of the 15th century, two rows of shops were built along the sides of the bridge. The rents brought an income to the State Treasury, which helped maintain the bridge.Maintenance was vital for the timber bridge. It was partly burnt in the revolt led by Bajamonte Tiepolo in 1310. In 1444, it collapsed under the weight of a crowd watching a boat parade and it collapsed again in 1524.The idea of rebuilding the bridge in stone was first proposed in 1503. Several projects were considered over the following decades. In 1551, the authorities requested proposals for the renewal of the Rialto Bridge, among other things. Plans were offered by famous architects, such as Jacopo Sansovino, Palladio and Vignola, but all involved a Classical approach with several arches, which was judged inappropriate to the situation. Michelangelo also was considered as designer of the bridge.

Landmark and Historical Place Near Piazza San Marco Venezia

Murano Glass Fine Art
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
giudecca 621
Venice, Italy 30133

0418500011

Church of San Giorgio Maggiore
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Isola di San Giorgio Maggiore, Sestiere di San Marco
Venice, Italy

San Giorgio Maggiore is a 16th-century Benedictine church on the island of the same name in Venice, northern Italy, designed by Andrea Palladio, and built between 1566 and 1610. The church is a basilica in the classical renaissance style and its brilliant white marble gleams above the blue water of the lagoon opposite the Piazzetta and forms the focal point of the view from every part of the Riva degli Schiavoni.HistoryThe first church on the island was built about 790, and in 982, the island was given to the Benedictine order by the Doge Tribuno Memmo. The Benedictines founded a monastery there, but in 1223, all the buildings on the island were destroyed by an earthquake.The church and monastery were rebuilt after the earthquake. The church, which had a nave with side chapels, was not in the same position as the present church, but farther back at the side of a small campo or square. There were cloisters in front of it, which were demolished in 1516. The monks were considering the rebuilding of the church from 1521.Palladio arrived in Venice in 1560, when the refectory of the monastery was being rebuilt. He made great improvements to this and in 1565, was asked to prepare a model for a new church. The model was completed and approved in 1566 and the foundation stone was laid in the presence of the Pope in the same year. The work was not finished before the death of Palladio in 1580, but the body of the church was complete by 1575, except for the choir behind the altar and the facade. The decoration of the interior was completed subsequently.

San Giorgio Maggiore (church), Venice
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Isola di S.Giorgio Maggiore
Venice, Italy 80135

San Giorgio Maggiore is a 16th-century Benedictine church on the island of the same name in Venice, northern Italy, designed by Andrea Palladio, and built between 1566 and 1610. The church is a basilica in the classical renaissance style and its brilliant white marble gleams above the blue water of the lagoon opposite the Piazzetta and forms the focal point of the view from every part of the Riva degli Schiavoni.HistoryThe first church on the island was built about 790, and in 982, the island was given to the Benedictine order by the Doge Tribuno Memmo. The Benedictines founded a monastery there, but in 1223, all the buildings on the island were destroyed by an earthquake.The church and monastery were rebuilt after the earthquake. The church, which had a nave with side chapels, was not in the same position as the present church, but farther back at the side of a small campo or square. There were cloisters in front of it, which were demolished in 1516. The monks were considering the rebuilding of the church from 1521.Palladio arrived in Venice in 1560, when the refectory of the monastery was being rebuilt. He made great improvements to this and in 1565, was asked to prepare a model for a new church. The model was completed and approved in 1566 and the foundation stone was laid in the presence of the Pope in the same year. The work was not finished before the death of Palladio in 1580, but the body of the church was complete by 1575, except for the choir behind the altar and the facade. The decoration of the interior was completed subsequently.

Santa Maria della Salute
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Grand Canal
Venice, Italy 30123

Santa Maria della Salute, commonly known simply as the Salute, is a Roman Catholic church and minor basilica located at Punta della Dogana in the Dorsoduro sestiere of the city of Venice, Italy.It stands on the narrow finger of Punta della Dogana, between the Grand Canal and the Giudecca Canal, at the Bacino di San Marco, making the church visible when entering the Piazza San Marco from the water. The Salute is part of the parish of the Gesuati and is the most recent of the so-called plague-churches.In 1630, Venice experienced an unusually devastating outbreak of the plague. As a votive offering for the city's deliverance from the pestilence, the Republic of Venice vowed to build and dedicate a church to Our Lady of Health . The church was designed in the then fashionable baroque style by Baldassare Longhena, who studied under the architect Vincenzo Scamozzi. Construction began in 1631. Most of the objects of art housed in the church bear references to the Black Death.

Punta della Dogana
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Fondamenta Della Dogana Alla Salute
Venice, Italy 30123

Punta della Dogana is an art museum in Venice's old customs building, the Dogana da Mar. It also refers to the triangular area of Venice where the Grand Canal meets the Giudecca Canal, and its collection of buildings: Santa Maria della Salute, Patriarchal Seminary of Venice, and Dogana da Mar at the triangle's tip.Geography and historyPunta della Dogana is located between the Grand and Giudecca Canals at the tip of an island in the Dorsoduro district. Adjacent to each other are the Dogana da Mar, Patriarchal Seminary, and Santa Maria della Salute. It is diagonal from the Piazza San Marco.The point was used for docking and customs as early as the beginning of the 15th century. The temporary structures built to store merchandise and customs workers were replaced by the Punta della Dogana, whose construction began in 1677.Dogana da MarThe museum's art is housed in and around the Dogana da Mar building. It was built between 1678 and 1682 as a customs house. The arcade styles reflect their construction in different eras. Atop the building are statues of Atlas, built to represent the supremacy of the Republic of Venice. The two slaves hold a golden ball upon which Giuseppe Benoni's Fortune stands. The 17th-century statue turns in the wind. The last renovation of the building was done by Alvise Pigazzi in 1838.

Design.Ve
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Castello 1794
Venice, Italy 30122

+39 328 6583871

San Vidal, Venice
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
San Marco, 2862
Venice, Italy 30124

San Vidal is a former church, and now an event and concert hall located at one end of the Campo Santo Stefano in the Sestiere of San Marco, where it leads into the campiello San Vidal, and from there to the Ponte dell'Accademia that spans the Grand Canal and connects to the Sestiere of Dorsoduro, Venice, Italy.HistoryA church at the site was erected in the year 1084 by Doge Vitale Falier. This church was destroyed in 1105 by a major city fire. Reconstruction continued for centuries and was finished by the 16th century. But poor foundations, led to a renewed reconstruction in the 17th century, using designs Antonio Gaspari. It was rebuilt in 1696 to honor the former Doge Francesco Morosini. On the facade (1734–37), designed by Andrea Tirali, are sculpted portraits of one of the Doges from the House of Contarini and his wife.At present in 2016, the church is deconsecrated, and the chamber music group Interpreti Veneziani performs concerts at the church.InteriorThe main altarpiece is a San Vidal on Horseback with eight saints by Vittore Carpaccio; in the painting, four of the saints flank the saint on a white horse, while four are in the balconies above. The altar is flanked by two marble statues of the allegories of Faith and Fortitude by Antonio Gai. The interior also houses an Immaculate Conception by Sebastiano Ricci, a Crucifixion and Apostles by the female painter Giulia Lama, a Trinity with Saints Peter and Francesco di Paola by Giovanni Antonio Pellegrini, and a Guardian Angel with St Anthony of Padua and St Cajetan of Thiene'' by Giovanni Battista Piazzetta.

Finestra Illuminata
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
dorsoduro 1282
Venice, Italy 30123

3288127085

immagini di repertorio immagini raccolte, immagini recondite, immagini mai mostrate, immagini segrete immaginisconce immagini reperite da ognuno di noi e custodite in qualche luogo ora le possiamo mostrare ogni notte o quasi in Dorsoduro 1282 una finestra si illuminera delle immagini più inaspettate e personali Passate a vedere :) P.S.: Powered by Fondazione Malutta

Campo Santo Stefano
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Campo Santo Stefano, San Marco
Venice, Italy 30124

Campo Santo Stefano is a city square near the Ponte dell'Accademia, in the sestiere of San Marco, Venice, Italy.Buildings around the squareSanto Stefano, VeniceSan Vidal, VenicePalazzo MorosiniPalazzo LoredanPalazzo Pisani a Santo Stefano

St Mark's Campanile
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
Piazza San Marco
Venice, Italy 30124

St Mark's Campanile is the bell tower of St Mark's Basilica in Venice, Italy, located in the Piazza San Marco. It is one of the most recognizable symbols of the city.The tower is 98.6m tall, and stands alone in a corner of St Mark's Square, near the front of the basilica. It has a simple form, the bulk of which is a fluted brick square shaft, 12m wide on each side and 50m tall, above which is a loggia surrounding the belfry, housing five bells. The belfry is topped by a cube, alternate faces of which show the Lion of St. Mark and the female representation of Venice (la Giustizia: Justice). The tower is capped by a pyramidal spire, at the top of which sits a golden weathervane in the form of the archangel Gabriel. The campanile reached its present form in 1514. The current tower was reconstructed in its present form in 1912 after the collapse of 1902.HistoryThe initial 9th-century construction, initiated during the reign of Pietro Tribuno and built on Roman foundations, was used as a watch tower or lighthouse for the dock, which then occupied a substantial part of the area which is now the Piazzetta. Construction was finished in the twelfth century, during the reign of Domenico Morosini. Adjoining the base of the campanile is the loggetta built by Sansovino, completed in 1549 and rebuilt in 1912 after it had been destroyed by the fall of the campanile. One of the models for the tower was the St. Mercuriale's Campanile, in Forlì.

Carnival of Venice
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Piazza San Marco
Venice, Italy

Margaret Duchamp
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
DORSO DURO 3019
Venice, Italy 30123

041 52 86 255

Campo Santa Margherita
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Campo Santa Margherita
Venice, Italy 30123

Campo Santa Margherita is a large city square in the sestiere of Dorsoduro of Venice, Italy. It is located near the University in Venice.Buildings around the squareScuola dei VaroteriOspizio ScrovegniScuola Grande dei CarminiSanta Margherita, VeniceSanta Maria dei Carmini

San Martino, Venice
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Castello 2298 - 30122 Venezia
Venice, Italy

0456212489

San Martino is a Renaissance Roman Catholic church in the sestiere of Castello of Venice, northern Italy.HistoryThe church now stands near the Arsenale, and is officiated by a military chaplain. Initially founded in the 10th century, from 1546 to 1610 it was rebuilt based on a plan by Jacopo Sansovino.DescriptionThe facade was designed by Federico Berchet and Domenico Rupolo. The vault is frescoed with Saint Martin in Glory by Jacopo Guarana, with the quadratura painted by Domenico Bruni. The walls portray saints and evangelists by Matteo Zais. A funeral monument to Doge Francesco Erizzo was completed by Matteo Carneri. A chapel has a fresco cycle of the Glory of the Eucharist flanked by Sacrifice of Isaac and Sacrifice of Mechizedek on the walls by Fabio Canal. The 15th-century altar by Tullio Lombardo was brought here from the church of Santo Sepolcro. The sacristy is frescoed with a Last Supper and Resurrection by Girolamo da Santacroce. The church has a Risen Christ altarpiece by Santacroce. The sacristy ceiling is frescoed by Antonio Zanchi and Domenico Bruni.

San Zaccaria, Venice
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Campo San Zaccaria, 4693, 30122
Venice, Italy 30122

The Church of San Zaccaria is a 15th-century former monastic church in central Venice, Italy. It is a large edifice, located in the Campo San Zaccaria, just off the waterfront to the southeast of Piazza San Marco and St Mark's Basilica. It is dedicated to St. Zechariah, the father of John the Baptist.HistoryThe first church on the site was founded by Doge Giustiniano Participazio in the early 9th century to house the body of the saint to which it is dedicated, a gift of the Byzantine Emperor Leo V the Armenian, which it contains under the second altar on the right. The remains of various doges are buried in the crypt of the church. The original church was rebuilt in the 1170s (when the present campanile was built) and was replaced by a Gothic church in the 15th century. The remains of this building still stand, as the present church was built beside and not over it.The present church was built between 1458 and 1515. Antonio Gambello was the original architect, who started the building in the Gothic style, but the upper part of the facade with its arched windows and its columns, and the upper parts of the interior were completed by Mauro Codussi in early Renaissance style seventy years later. The facade is a harmonious Venetian mixture of late-Gothic and Renaissance styles.

Views on Venice
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
San Marco 4267/A
Venice, Italy 30124

+39 041 2411149

Our aim is to offer apartments for rental to an international clientele who’d take pleasure in the comfort, freedom and authenticity of ‘living at home as a Venetian’ rather than merely observing the city from the confines of an anonymous hotel room or suite. The common denominator is to offer ‘something extra’ amidst an already extraordinary city - an added dimension which turns a ‘stay’ into an ‘experience’ and a 'dream' into 'reality'... ...a prestigious or historic location, maybe a ravishing canal view, interiors with personality, perhaps a terrace or a garden...

Venetian Arsenal
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Arsenale di Venezia Spa - San Marco 180/c - 30124 Venezia
Venice, Italy 30122

The Venetian Arsenal is a complex of former shipyards and armories clustered together in the city of Venice in northern Italy. Owned by the state, the Arsenal was responsible for the bulk of the Venetian republic's naval power during the middle part of the second millennium AD. It was "one of the earliest large-scale industrial enterprises in history".OverviewConstruction of the Arsenal began around 1104, during Venice's republican era. It became the largest industrial complex in Europe prior to the Industrial Revolution, spanning an area of about 45ha, or about fifteen percent of Venice. Surrounded by a 2mi rampart, laborers and shipbuilders regularly worked within the Arsenal, building ships that sailed from the city's port. With high walls shielding the Arsenal from public view and guards protecting its perimeter, different areas of the Arsenal each produced a particular prefabricated ship part or other maritime implement, such as munitions, rope, and rigging. These parts could then be assembled into a ship in as little as one day. An exclusive forest owned by the Arsenal navy, in the Montello hills area of Veneto, provided the Arsenal's wood supply.The Arsenal produced the majority of Venice's maritime trading vessels, which generated much of the city's economic wealth and power, lasting until the fall of the republic to Napoleon's conquest of the area in 1797. It is located in the Castello district of Venice, and it is now owned by the state.

Fortuny Museum
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
San Marco 3958 30124 Venise
Venice, Italy 30124

+39 041 520 0995

The Palazzo Fortuny is an art museum in San Marco, Venice, Italy.Once owned by the Pesaro family, this Gothic building in Campo San Beneto, near the church of the same name, was transformed by Mariano Fortuny into his own photography, stage-design, textile-design and painting atelier. For a time, the palace was known as the Palazzo Orfei after an 18th-century tenant, a musical society known as the Accademia d'Orfeo. The building maintains the structure created by Fortuny, as well as its collections. The building was donated to the city in 1956 by Henriette Nigrin, Mariano’s widow. The collections within the museum comprise an extensive number of pieces which reflect the various fields investigated by the artist.The museum is run by the Fondazione Musei Civici Venezia (MUVE).

Escape Room Intrappola.TO Venezia
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Calle Seconda del Cristo 2919
Venice, Italy 30125

+393347733737

PRENOTAZIONE OBBLIGATORIA Non chiedetevi come ci siete finiti, non perdete tempo. Avete solo 60 minuti per tornare nella vostra realtà. Ci sono degli indizi e delle trappole, sta a voi individuare la via di fuga. Ma il tempo scorre e i minuti vanno in fumo rapidamente. c'è solo una porta nella stanza ma aprirla non sarà un gioco da ragazzi! Avrete 60 minuti di tempo per aprire il lucchetto dell’unica porta che può ridarvi la libertà. Nella stanza troverete una serie di indizi che potrebbero aiutarvi a scoprire la combinazione. Dovrete risolvere degli enigmi e ricostruire la storia pensata da chi ha progettato la vostra prigione. Ma attenzione a non perdere tempo, i minuti scorrono rapidi e al suono delle campane se sarete ancora nella stanza sarete accompagnati sul patibolo.

Palazzo Pisani Moretta
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Sestiere San Polo, 2766
Venice, Italy 30125

3936058906

Palazzo Pisani Moretta is a palace situated along the Grand Canal in Venice, Italy (in the sestiere of San Polo) between Palazzo Barbarigo della Terrazza and Palazzo Tiepolo.HistoryBuilt in the second half of the 15th Century by the Bembo family, the palace soon became the residence of a branch of the noble Pisani family (the Pisani Moretta branch). The palace was renovated, modified and extended over the following centuries, finally taking on its current aspect in the 18th Century. In fact many of the valuable interior decorations date back to the 18th Century. Past guests to the palace included important historic figures such as Tsar Paul I of Russia, Joséphine de Beauharnais and Joseph II, Holy Roman Emperor.Palazzo Pisani Moretta remained in the Pisani family until it died out in 1880 but the building is still owned privately.The interior rooms were decorated by Baroque artists such as Tiepolo, Jacopo Guarana, Gaspare Diziani and Giuseppe Angeli. The palace once housed, among other things, Paolo Veronese's monumental painting The Family of Darius before Alexander, which was viewed here by Goethe in 1786 (diary entry from October 8 of that year) and acquired by the National Gallery, London, in 1857, where it now hangs. The palace is said to have housed a ceiling painting called, The Chariots of Aurora by Giovanni Antonio Pellegrini (1675-1741), which was restored and installed in the Library of George Vanderbilt's Biltmore House in Asheville, NC.