EuroZoid
Discover The Most Popular Places In Europe

Mouth Of Truth, Rome | Tourist Information


Piazza della Bocca della Verita 18
Rome, Italy 00186

+39 06 678 7759

دستم خوشبختانه قطع نشد

Arts and Entertainment Near Mouth Of Truth

Roma
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roma/112163328795888
Rome, Italy 00100

060608

Piazza Venezia
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Venezia
Rome, Italy 00187

<>

Piazza Venezia is the central hub of Rome, Italy, in which several thoroughfares intersect, including the Via dei Fori Imperiali and the Via del Corso. It takes its name from the Palazzo Venezia, built by the Venetian Cardinal, Pietro Barbo (later Pope Paul II) alongside the church of Saint Mark, the patron saint of Venice. The Palazzo Venezia served as the embassy of the Republic of Venice in Rome.One side of the Piazza is the site of Italy's Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in the Altare della Patria, part of the imposing Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II, first king of Italy.The piazza or square is at the foot of the Capitoline Hill and next to Trajan's Forum. The main artery, the Viale di Fori Imperiali begins there and leads past the Roman Forum to the Colosseum.In 2009, during excavations in the middle of the square for the construction of the Rome C Metro Line, remains of the emperor Hadrian's Athenaeum were unearthed.

Coffee Pot Trastevere
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Via del Politeama 12
Rome, Italy 00153

3472820618

Teatro Riccardi
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Via Celsa 6
Rome, Italy 00186

06/69797519

Siamo lieti di informarvi che il Teatro Riccardi a partire dal primo gennaio 2016 ha cambiato gestione e proporrà spettacoli con cast residente composto da un corpo di ballo, cantanti professionisti e musicisti. A partire dal 14 febbraio il teatro centrale sarà aperto tutti i giorni dalle 12 per un ricco e gustoso brunch accompagnato da musica live. Tutti i venerdi, sabato e domenica sera a partire dalle 21 il teatro centrale funzionerà come dinner&show con cena alla carta o a menù fisso e spettacolo di intrattenimento che accompagnerà la vostra serata.

Capitoline Hill
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Campidoglio
Rome, Italy 00186

<>

The Capitoline Hill, between the Forum and the Campus Martius, is one of the Seven Hills of Rome. It was the citadel (equivalent of the ancient Greek acropolis) of the earliest Romans. The name capitol seems to have meant "dominant height", although ancient tradition places its origin in caput ("skull": a specific skull found while laying the Temple of Jupiter foundation). By the 16th century, Capitolinus had become Capitolino in Italian, with the alternative Campidoglio stemming from Capitolium, one of the three major spurs of the Capitolinus (the others being Arx and Tarpeius). The Capitoline contains few ancient ground-level ruins, as they are almost entirely covered up by Medieval and Renaissance palaces (now housing the Capitoline Museums) that surround a piazza, a significant urban plan designed by Michelangelo.The English word capitol derives from Capitoline. Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. is widely assumed to be named after the Capitoline Hill, but the causation is not crystal clear.

Bocca della Verità
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Via della Greca, 4
Rome, Italy 00186

La Bocca della Verità is an image, carved from Pavonazzo marble, of a man-like face, located in the portico of the church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin in Rome, Italy. The sculpture is thought to be part of a first-century ancient Roman fountain, or perhaps a manhole cover, portraying one of several possible pagan gods, probably Oceanus. Most Romans believe that the 'Bocca' represents the ancient god of the river Tiber.The most famous characteristic of the Mouth, however, is its role as a lie detector. Starting from the Middle Ages, it was believed that if one told a lie with one's hand in the mouth of the sculpture, it would be bitten off. There was also a medieval legend, wrongly believed to originate with the Roman poet Virgil, of an adulterous empress who managed to deceive her husband in a trial using the Mouth. This is an infrequent subject in medieval and Renaissance art, forming part of the Power of Women literary topos. The piece was placed in the portico of the Santa Maria in Cosmedin in the 17th century. This church is also home to the relics of Saint Valentine.

Lungo il Tevere Roma
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Lungotevere degli Anguillara
Rome, Italy 00153

Lungo il Tevere… Roma torna a impreziosire l’estate della Capitale! Con questa nuova edizione, la manifestazione punta a rinsaldare il rapporto d’amore che lega la Città Eterna alla sua arteria naturale. Un tuffo fra storia, cultura, divertimento e svago, da Ponte Sublicio a Ponte Sisto. Le banchine, ristrutturate e riqualificate dall’Associazione Culturale La Vela d’Oro prima e dopo l’evento, sono un piccolo angolo di Paradiso dove sentirsi, ogni giorno, cittadini del mondo. Con Roma e le sue tradizioni a fare da filo conduttore. Lungo il percorso troverete mostre fotografiche e cinematografiche, esposizioni, citazioni letterarie e musicali di tutte quelle opere e di quei personaggi che hanno fatto grande la Capitale: una galleria d’arte a cielo aperto per celebrare l’immenso patrimonio artistico e sociale della città. Punta di diamante, il Programma Culturale, ricco di eventi dedicati a bambini, adulti, giovani e meno giovani, per imparare divertendosi! Ingresso gratuito

Grand Hotel De La Minerve
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Minerva, Roma
Rome, Italy 69 - 00186

+39 06 695201

Il buco della serratura "l'occhiolino" vicino al giardino degli aranci
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza dei Cavalieri di Malta
Rome, Italy 00153

<>

Nag's Head Events - Rome
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
via IV novembre 138/b
Rome, Italy 00187

066794620

Teatro Argentina
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Via Cristoforo Colombo
Rome, Italy 00186

BIG MAMA CLUB
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Vicolo San Francesco a Ripa 18
Rome, Italy 00153

+39.06.5812551

Piazza Cavalieri Di Malta
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza dei Cavalieri di Malta
Rome, Italy 00153

<>

Victor Emmanuel Monument, Rome
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Venezia, 00186 Roma, Italy
Rome, Italy 00186

+39 06 678 0664

Theatre of Marcellus
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via di Monte Savello 30
Rome, Italy 00186

The Theatre of Marcellus is an ancient open-air theatre in Rome, Italy, built in the closing years of the Roman Republic. At the theatre, locals and visitors alike were able to watch performances of drama and song. Today its ancient edifice in the rione of Sant'Angelo, Rome, once again provides one of the city's many popular spectacles or tourist sites. Space for the theatre was cleared by Julius Caesar, who was murdered before its construction could begin; the theatre was so far advanced by 17 BC that part of the celebration of the ludi saeculares took place within the theatre; it was completed in 13 BC and formally inaugurated in 12 BC by Augustus.The theatre was 111 m in diameter and was the largest and most important theatre in Ancient Rome; it could originally hold between 11,000 and 20,000 spectators. It was an impressive example of what was to become one of the most pervasive urban architectural forms of the Roman world. The theatre was built mainly of tuff, and concrete faced with stones in the pattern known as opus reticulatum, completely sheathed in white travertine. However, it is also the earliest dateable building in Rome to make use of fired Roman brick, then a new introduction from the Greek world.

Teatro Testaccio
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Via Romolo Gessi 8
Rome, Italy 00153

06 5755482

Forum of Augustus
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Foro Traiano
Rome, Italy 00184

<>

The Forum of Augustus is one of the Imperial forums of Rome, Italy, built by Augustus. It includes the Temple of Mars Ultor.HistoryThe triumvir Octavian vowed to build a temple honoring Mars, the Roman God of War, during the battle of Philippi in 42 BC. After winning the battle, with the help of Mark Antony and Lepidus, Octavian had avenged the assassination (murder) of his adoptive father Julius Caesar. He became the Princeps of Rome in 27 BC under the name Augustus, and planned for the temple to be built in a new forum named after himself. Augustus used social propaganda by continuing Julius Caesar's will to create a Temple to Mars Ultor "greater than any in existence", by placing it within the Temple, linking himself to his divine adopted father, obtaining a strong link to the Roman population through their love for the deceased dictator.The land the Forum was to be built on was already owned by Augustus himself. However, the initial plans called for more space than he had. In order to keep those on the land he would need to purchase to build upon, the plans were altered slightly, so some asymmetry is apparent, especially in the Eastern corner of the precinct; for which Suetonius states that Augustus did not want to take the houses of the nearby owners by force. This self-proclaimed good deed was more than likely just a ploy to save Augustus money and trouble. These land issues, as well as numerous architectural mishaps, prolonged construction. The incomplete forum and its temple were inaugurated, 40 years after they were first vowed, in 2 BC. In 19 AD Tiberius added two triumphal arches either side of the temple in honour of Drusus the Elder and Germanicus and their victories in Germania.

Roseto Di Roma Capitale
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via Di Valle Murcia
Rome, Italy

Glamorize Roma
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Piazza di San Bartolomeo all'isola 22
Rome, Italy 00154

349.4577040

Glamorize è la serata che da ormai 7 anni anima i Mercoledì sera romani. Aperitivo, pub, dj set, messaggeria, spettacoli e talent show sono tra gli elementi fondamentali che da sempre hanno contraddistinto questa serata. “Mercoledì è un giorno insolito…” recitava la nostra prima sigla. Eppure dopo 6 stagioni passate insieme al nostro pubblico il Mercoledì targato Glamorize è diventato un cult della night life capitolina. Il giorno al centro della settimana, perfetto per spezzare la routine incominciata durante l’odiatissimo lunedì e quando si è ancora troppo lontani dall’amato weekend. Glamorize porta nella vostra settimana quella ventata di freschezza e divertimento sano, quel clima festoso e amichevole in cui tutti possono essere amici e nessuno si sente a disagio. Glamorize è festa, è spettacolo, è amicizia, è ironia. E’ diverso da qualsiasi altra serata che esiste a Roma perché non è solo un pub, né solo un aperitivo; mescola il cibo e l’alcool con spettacoli d’eccellenza, pensati e realizzati per voi e con voi, spettacoli ai quali tutti possono partecipare direttamente sul palco oppure votando. Glamorize infatti è partecipazione, nessuno è escluso. Il concept di Glamorize è pensato per i clubbers più accaniti che di Mercoledì sera non trovano molte alternative a Roma e possono ballare con noi a partire da mezzanotte; è pensato per gli amanti delle chiacchierate al pub che possono sorseggiare fantastici cocktail comodamente seduti al tavolo; è pensato infine per gli amanti dello spettacolo e della TV che nei nostri show possono ritrovare la qualità e l’eccellenza di chi lavora in maniera creativa e originale. Glamorize è il suo staff passato, presente e futuro che ogni giorno lavora per regalarvi nuovi spettacoli ogni Mercoledì, per essere sempre originali e professionali. Ma soprattutto Glamorize siete voi! Siete voi quando venite alle nostre serate, quando ci inondate di messaggi, quando ci regalate i vostri applausi. Grazie a voi in pochi anni Glamorize è diventata una bella realtà romana ed è per voi che continuiamo ad esistere e ad organizzare le nostre serate. Ci vediamo Mercoledì :) FORMAT GLAMORIZE: "Glamorize Got Talent" "BaiLando Con le Stelle" "Ti Canto Una Canzone" (Baby Talenti) "Moda Sotto Le Stelle" (Concorso per Stilisti) "LoveLine" "Idol Farm" "Star a 4 Zampe" "Let's Go Dancing" "Glamorize Next GoGo Boy" "Heart Attack" "Glamorize Music Awards" "Glamorize Best Crew" "Furore Extreme Edition" "The Mirror" "The Next Dancer" "FaceTuber" "Glamorize Top Voice" "Glamorize Next Dancer" "SEXERCIZE" "ONIRICUS" "The Face" "THE MATCH" "BARconTENDERS" "IntoTheBeat" Responsabile della Comunicazione e dei Social Media: Eleonora Chiapparelli

The Nags Head - Scottish Pub
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Via IV Novembre, 138b
Rome, Italy 00187

Catholic Church Near Mouth Of Truth

Pantheon, Rome
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Rotonda 00186 Rome, Italy
San Cesareo, Italy 00186

The Pantheon is a former Roman temple, now a church, in Rome, Italy, on the site of an earlier temple commissioned by Marcus Agrippa during the reign of Augustus (27 BC – 14 AD). The present building was completed by the emperor Hadrian and probably dedicated about 126 AD. He retained Agrippa's original inscription, which has confused its date of construction.The building is circular with a portico of large granite Corinthian columns (eight in the first rank and two groups of four behind) under a pediment. A rectangular vestibule links the porch to the rotunda, which is under a coffered concrete dome, with a central opening (oculus) to the sky. Almost two thousand years after it was built, the Pantheon's dome is still the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome. The height to the oculus and the diameter of the interior circle are the same, 43.3metres.It is one of the best-preserved of all Ancient Roman buildings, in large part because it has been in continuous use throughout its history, and since the 7th century, the Pantheon has been used as a church dedicated to "St. Mary and the Martyrs" (Santa Maria ad Martyres) but informally known as "Santa Maria Rotonda". The square in front of the Pantheon is called Piazza della Rotonda. The Pantheon is a state property, ruled by Italy's Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism through the Polo Museale del Lazio; in 2013 it was visited by over 6 million people.

Basilica di San Pietro in Vincoli
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza di San Pietro in Vincoli, 4a
Rome, Italy 00184

0697844950

Sant'Ignazio Church, Rome
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Via del Caravita, 8a
Rome, Italy 00186

The Church of St. Ignatius of Loyola at Campus Martius (Chiesa di Sant'Ignazio di Loyola in Campo Marzio, Ecclesia Santi Ignatii a Loyola in Campo Martio) is a Roman Catholic titular church, of deaconry rank, dedicated to Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Society of Jesus, located in Rome, Italy. Built in Baroque style between 1626 and 1650, the church functioned originally as the chapel of the adjacent Roman College, that moved in 1584 to a new larger building and was renamed the Pontifical Gregorian University. The most recent Cardinal of the Titulus S. Ignatii de Loyola in Campo Martio was Cardinal Roberto Tucci, S.J.; he had been its Cardinal Deacon until he became its Cardinal Priest (i.e., opted for the order of cardinal priests, with this church being elevated "pro hac vice" to title).HistoryThe Collegio Romano opened very humbly in 1551, with an inscription over the door summing up its simple purpose: "School of Grammar, Humanity, and Christian Doctrine. Free". Plagued by financial problems in the early years, the Collegio Romano had various provisional centres. In 1560, Vittoria della Tolfa, Marchesa della Valle, donated her family isola, an entire city block and its existing buildings, to the Society of Jesus in memory of her late husband the Marchese della Guardia Camillo Orsini, founding the Collegio Romano. She had previously intended to donate it to the Poor Clares for the founding of a monastery. The nuns had already started to build what had been intended to become the Church of Santa Maria della Nunziata, erected on the spot where the Temple of Isis had stood.

Santa Maria sopra Minerva
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Minerva 42
Rome, Italy 00186

06 69 92 03 84

Santa Maria sopra Minerva is one of the major churches of the Roman Catholic Order of Preachers in Rome, Italy. The church's name derives from the fact that the first Christian church structure on the site was built directly over the ruins or foundations of a temple dedicated to the Egyptian goddess Isis, which had been erroneously ascribed to the Greco-Roman goddess Minerva.The church is located in Piazza della Minerva one block behind the Pantheon in the Pigna rione of Rome within the ancient district known as the Campus Martius. The present church and disposition of surrounding structures is visible in a detail from the Nolli Map of 1748.While many other medieval churches in Rome have been given Baroque makeovers that cover Gothic structures, the Minerva is the only extant example of original Gothic church building in Rome. Behind a restrained Renaissance style façade the Gothic interior features arched vaulting that was painted blue with gilded stars and trimmed with brilliant red ribbing in a 19th-century Neo-Gothic restoration.

Basilica di Santa Maria Sopra Minerva
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Minerva 42
Rome, Italy 00186

0066793926

Basilica of Santa Maria in Ara Coeli
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Campidoglio 55
Rome, Italy 00187

The Basilica of St. Mary of the Altar of Heaven (Basilica Sanctae Mariae de Ara coeli in Capitolium, Basilica di Santa Maria in Ara coeli al Campidoglio) is a titular basilica in Rome, located on the highest summit of the Campidoglio. It is still the designated Church of the city council of Rome, which uses the ancient title of Senatus Populusque Romanus. The present Cardinal Priest of the Titulus Sancta Mariae de Aracoeli is Salvatore De Giorgi.The shrine is known for housing relics belonging to Saint Helena, mother of Emperor Constantine, various minor relics from the Holy Sepulchre, the canonically crowned image of Santa Maria di Aracoeli on the high altar and the Santo Bambino of Aracoeli.HistoryOriginally the church was named Sancta Maria in Capitolio, since it was sited on the Capitoline Hill (Campidoglio, in Italian) of Ancient Rome; by the 14th century it had been renamed. A medieval legend included in the mid-12th-century guide to Rome, Mirabilia Urbis Romae, claimed that the church was built over an Augustan Ara primogeniti Dei, in the place where the Tiburtine Sibyl prophesied to Augustus the coming of the Christ. "For this reason the figures of Augustus and of the Tiburtine sibyl are painted on either side of the arch above the high altar" (Lanciani chapter 1). A later legend substituted an apparition of the Virgin Mary. In the Middle Ages, condemned criminals were executed at the foot of the steps; there the self-proclaimed Tribune and reviver of the Roman Republic Cola di Rienzo met his death, near the spot where his statue commemorates him.

Church of the Gesù
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Via degli Astalli 16
Rome, Italy 00186

<>

The Church of the Gesù is the mother church of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits), a Catholic religious order. Officially named Chiesa del Santissimo Nome di Gesù all'Argentina (Church of the Most Holy Name of Jesus at the "Argentina"), its facade is "the first truly baroque façade", introducing the baroque style into architecture. The church served as model for innumerable Jesuit churches all over the world, especially in the Americas. The Church of the Gesù is located in the Piazza del Gesù in Rome.First conceived in 1551 by Saint Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Jesuits Society of Jesus, and active during the Protestant Reformation and the subsequent Catholic Reformation, the Gesù was also the home of the Superior General of the Society of Jesus until the suppression of the order in 1773. The church having been subsequently regained by the Jesuits, the adjacent palazzo is now a residence for Jesuit scholars from around the world studying at the Gregorian University in preparation for ordination to the priesthood.

Sant'Andrea della Valle
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Vidoni, 6
Rome, Italy 00186

+39 06 686 1339

Sant'Andrea della Valle is a basilica church in the rione of Sant'Eustachio of the city of Rome, Italy. The basilica is the general seat for the religious order of the Theatines. It is located on Piazza Vidoni at the intersection of Corso Vittorio Emanuele (facing facade) and Corso Rinascimento.OverviewA church was initially planned when Donna Costanza Piccolomini d'Aragona, duchess of Amalfi and descendant of the family of Pope Pius II, bequeathed her palace and the adjacent church of San Sebastiano in central Rome to the Theatine order for construction of a new church. Since Amalfi's patron was Saint Andrew, the church was planned in his honor. Work initially started around 1590 under the designs of Giacomo della Porta and Pier Paolo Olivieri, and under the patronage of Cardinal Gesualdo. With the previous patron's death, direction of the church passed to Cardinal Alessandro Peretti di Montalto, nephew of Pope Sixtus V. Work restarted by 1608, financed by what was then an enormous endowment of over 150,000 gold scudi, and with a more grandiose plan designed mainly by Carlo Maderno. The interior of the church was completed by 1650, with some changes added by Francesco Grimaldi.

San Marcello al Corso
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza di S. Marcello, 5
Rome, Italy 00187

3889044782

San Marcello al Corso, a church in Rome, Italy, is a titular church whose cardinal-protector normally holds the (intermediary) rank of cardinal-priest. The church, dedicated to Pope Marcellus I, is located just inset from Via del Corso, in ancient times called via Lata, and which now connects Piazza Venezia to Piazza del Popolo. It stands diagonal from the church of Santa Maria in Via Lata and two doors from the Oratory of Santissimo Crocifisso.

Basilica di San Marco
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza S. Marco 48
Rome, Italy 00186

<>

Santa Sabina
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Pietro d'Illiria, 1
Rome, Italy 00040

0657941

The Basilica of Saint Sabina is a historical church on the Aventine Hill in Rome, Italy. It is a titular minor basilica and mother church of the Roman Catholic Order of Preachers, better known as the Dominicans. Santa Sabina is perched high above the Tiber river to the north and the Circus Maximus to the east. It is next to small public park Giardino degli Aranci, which has a scenic terrace overlooking Rome. It is a short distance to the headquarters of the Knights of Malta.Santa Sabina is the oldest extant Roman basilica in Rome that preserves its original colonnaded rectangular plan and architectural style. Its decorations have been restored to their original restrained design. Other basilicas, such as Santa Maria Maggiore, are often heavily and gaudily decorated. Because of its simplicity, the Santa Sabina represents the crossover from a roofed Roman forum to the churches of Christendom. Its Cardinal Priest is Jozef Tomko. It is the stational church for Ash Wednesday.

Church of St Ignatius of Loyola, Rome, Italy
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Via del Caravita, 8a
Rome, Italy

Santa Cecilia in Trastevere
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
22 Piazza di Santa Cecilia
Rome, Italy 00153

Santa Cecilia in Trastevere is a 5th-century church in Rome, Italy, in the Trastevere rione, devoted to the Roman martyr Saint Cecilia.

Santi Apostoli, Rome
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza dei Santi Apostoli
Rome, Italy 00187

La basilica dei Santi XII Apostoli è un luogo di culto cattolico del centro storico di Roma situato nel rione Trevi nell'omonima Piazza Santi Apostoli. Ha la dignità di basilica minore.StoriaIn questo luogo, nel secolo IV papa Giulio I fece costruire una chiesa che venne chiamata Basilica Iulia dal nome del fondatore. La basilica viene già citata in testi del secolo V con la qualifica di "titulus apostolorum". In età bizantina, sui resti della chiesa originaria venne ricostruita una nuova basilica con pianta a croce greca, la cui edificazione fu poi proseguita da papa Pelagio I sotto il regno Narsete, nel VI secolo. La basilica conserva le reliquie degli apostoli Filippo e Giacomo il Minore.Quella dei Santi Apostoli è l'unica basilica di Roma che non sia stata edificata su edifici romani preesistenti, anche se furono precocemente utilizzati materiali di spoglio (si pensa provenienti dalle terme di Costantino, e non, come vuole una leggenda, dal vicino Foro di Traiano). Il modello architettonico della chiesa originale era quello a pianta centrale del bizantino Apostoleion di Costantinopoli

Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Corso del Rinascimento 40
Rome, Italy 00186

Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza is a Roman Catholic church in Rome. Built in 1642-1660 by the architect Francesco Borromini, the church is a masterpiece of Roman Baroque architecture.The church is at the rear of a courtyard at 40, Corso del Rinascimento; the complex is now used by the Archives of the City of Rome.HistoryIn the 14th century, there was a chapel here for the palace of the University of Rome. The University is called La Sapienza, and the church was dedicated to Saint Yves (patron saint of jurists). When a design was commissioned from Borromini in the 17th century, he adapted to the already existing palazzo. He choose a plan resembling a star of David - which would have been recognized at the time as a Star of Solomon, symbolizing wisdom - and merged a curved facade of the church with the courtyard of the palace. The corkscrew lantern of the dome was novel. The complex rhythms of the interior have a dazzling geometry to them.The main artwork of the interior is the altarpiece by Pietro da Cortona, portraying St. Yves.ExteriorThe church rises at the end of a courtyard, known as the courtyard of Giacomo della Porta. The façade is concave, molding the church into the courtyard as if completing it rather than disrupting it. The façade itself looks like a continuation of the courtyard arches except with the openings filled in with small windows, a door, and a larger glass window above the door. Above the façade is a large parapet structure so that only the higher stages of the church is seen past the façade. A key exterior aspect is the top of the church: the lantern of Sant'Ivo is topped with a spiral shape, surmounted by a Cross.

Sant'Eustachio
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza di Sant'Eustachio
Rome, Italy 00186

La basilica di Sant'Eustachio è una chiesa di Roma, costruita nell'VIII secolo e dedicata al santo omonimo, nel rione Sant'Eustachio. Ha la dignità di Basilica minore.

Santi Apostoli, Rome
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza dei Santi Apostoli, 51
Rome, Italy 00187

<>

The Church of the Twelve Holy Apostles is a 6th-century Roman Catholic parish and titular church and minor basilica in Rome, Italy, dedicated originally to St. James and St. Philip whose remains are kept here, and later to all Apostles. Today, the basilica is under the care of the Conventual Franciscans, whose headquarters in Rome is in the adjacent building.The Cardinal Priest of the Titulus XII Apostolorum is Angelo Scola. Among the previous Cardinal Priests are Pope Clement XIV, whose tomb by Canova is in the basilica, and Henry Benedict Stuart.HistoryBuilt by Pope Pelagius I to celebrate a Narses victory over the Ostrogoths, and dedicated by Pope John III to St. James and Saint Philip the Apostle, the basilica is listed as 'Titulus SS Apostolorum' in the acts of the synod of 499. Santi Apostoli was ruined by the earthquake of 1348, and left abandoned.

Santa Maria in Campitelli
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Campitelli, 9
Rome, Italy 00186

Santa Maria in Campitelli è una chiesa di Roma sita nel rione Sant'Angelo.

Basilica Di S. Alessio All'Aventino
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
P-za S.Alessio 23
Rome, Italy 00153

Santa Maria di Loreto, Rome
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
P.zza Madonna di Loreto, 26
Rome, Italy

Santa Maria di Loreto is a 16th-century church in Rome, central Italy, located just across the street from the Trajan's Column, near the giant Monument of Vittorio Emanuele II.HistoryAfter the Jubilee of 1500, the association of metallurgical (Sodalizio dei Fornai) received permission from Pope Alexander VI to build a church at this site. Construction of this church began in 1507 by Antonio da Sangallo the younger, with an octagonal floor plan; the dome and the lantern were completed by Jacopo del Duca some 75 years later. The church was built atop an earlier 15th century chapel, which contained an icon of the Virgin of Loreto, hence the church retained the icon and acquired the title. It is most notable for the adjacent erection of a similarly domed, but pale marble, 18th-century church Santissimo Nome di Maria al Foro Traiano, giving the semblance of twin churches.

Historical Place Near Mouth Of Truth

Colosseum
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo, Roma
Rome, Italy 00184

+39 0677400922

The Colosseum or Coliseum, also known as the Flavian Amphitheatre, is an oval amphitheatre in the centre of the city of Rome, Italy. Built of concrete and sand, it is the largest amphitheatre ever built. The Colosseum is situated just east of the Roman Forum. Construction began under the emperor Vespasian in AD 72, and was completed in AD 80 under his successor and heir Titus. Further modifications were made during the reign of Domitian (81–96). These three emperors are known as the Flavian dynasty, and the amphitheatre was named in Latin for its association with their family name (Flavius).The Colosseum could hold, it is estimated, between 50,000 and 80,000 spectators, having an average audience of some 65,000; it was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles such as mock sea battles (for only a short time as the hypogeum was soon filled in with mechanisms to support the other activities), animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Classical mythology. The building ceased to be used for entertainment in the early medieval era. It was later reused for such purposes as housing, workshops, quarters for a religious order, a fortress, a quarry, and a Christian shrine.

Colosseo
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo
Rome, Italy 00184

ROMA: La Capitale
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
piazza del Campidoglio
Rome, Italy 00186

063330863

Pantheon, Rome
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Rotonda 00186 Rome, Italy
San Cesareo, Italy 00186

The Pantheon is a former Roman temple, now a church, in Rome, Italy, on the site of an earlier temple commissioned by Marcus Agrippa during the reign of Augustus (27 BC – 14 AD). The present building was completed by the emperor Hadrian and probably dedicated about 126 AD. He retained Agrippa's original inscription, which has confused its date of construction.The building is circular with a portico of large granite Corinthian columns (eight in the first rank and two groups of four behind) under a pediment. A rectangular vestibule links the porch to the rotunda, which is under a coffered concrete dome, with a central opening (oculus) to the sky. Almost two thousand years after it was built, the Pantheon's dome is still the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome. The height to the oculus and the diameter of the interior circle are the same, 43.3metres.It is one of the best-preserved of all Ancient Roman buildings, in large part because it has been in continuous use throughout its history, and since the 7th century, the Pantheon has been used as a church dedicated to "St. Mary and the Martyrs" (Santa Maria ad Martyres) but informally known as "Santa Maria Rotonda". The square in front of the Pantheon is called Piazza della Rotonda. The Pantheon is a state property, ruled by Italy's Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism through the Polo Museale del Lazio; in 2013 it was visited by over 6 million people.

Trastevere App
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
vicolo moroni 47
Rome, Italy 00153

3884775044

Trastevere, XIII Rione di Roma , la pagina esplora il suo passato e presente con foto e post nel sito. App in progress

Circo Massimo
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via del Circo Massimo
Rome, Italy 00153

Piazza Venezia
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Venezia
Rome, Italy 00187

<>

Piazza Venezia is the central hub of Rome, Italy, in which several thoroughfares intersect, including the Via dei Fori Imperiali and the Via del Corso. It takes its name from the Palazzo Venezia, built by the Venetian Cardinal, Pietro Barbo (later Pope Paul II) alongside the church of Saint Mark, the patron saint of Venice. The Palazzo Venezia served as the embassy of the Republic of Venice in Rome.One side of the Piazza is the site of Italy's Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in the Altare della Patria, part of the imposing Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II, first king of Italy.The piazza or square is at the foot of the Capitoline Hill and next to Trajan's Forum. The main artery, the Viale di Fori Imperiali begins there and leads past the Roman Forum to the Colosseum.In 2009, during excavations in the middle of the square for the construction of the Rome C Metro Line, remains of the emperor Hadrian's Athenaeum were unearthed.

Piazza Del Campidoglio
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Campidoglio
Rome, Italy 00186

Roman Forum and Palantine Hill
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Via di San Gregorio,
Rome, Italy 00193

+39 06 0608

Campo de' Fiori
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
VIA DEI GIUBBONARI 23
Rome, Italy 00193

Campo de' Fiori is a rectangular square south of Piazza Navona in Rome, Italy, at the border between rione Parione and rione Regola. It is diagonally southeast of the Palazzo della Cancelleria and one block northeast of the Palazzo Farnese. Campo de' Fiori, translated literally from Italian, means "field of flowers". The name dates to the Middle Ages when the area was a meadow.HistoryIn Ancient Rome the area was unused space between Pompey's Theatre and the flood-prone Tiber. Though the Orsini established themselves on the south flank of the space in the 13th century, until the 15th century the square remained undeveloped. The first church in the immediate vicinity was built during the pontificate of Boniface IX (1389-1404), Santa Brigida a Campo de' Fiori; with the building-up of the rione, the church has now come to face that part of the former square that is now Piazza Farnese. In 1456 under Pope Callixtus III, Ludovico Cardinal Trevisani paved the area as part of a large project to improve rione Parione. This renewal was both the result and cause of several important buildings being built in the surroundings; in particular, the Orsini palace on Campo de' Fiori was rebuilt. The Renaissance Palazzo della Cancelleria can be seen in Vasi's etching, rising majestically beyond the far right corner of the square.

Circus Maximus
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via Ogliastra 34
Rome, Italy 00186

Il Circo Massimo è un antico circo romano, dedicato alle corse di cavalli, costruito a Roma. Situato nella valle tra il Palatino e l'Aventino, è ricordato come sede di giochi sin dagli inizi della storia della città: nella valle sarebbe avvenuto il mitico episodio del ratto delle Sabine, in occasione dei giochi indetti da Romolo in onore del dio Consus. Di certo l'ampio spazio pianeggiante e la sua prossimità all'approdo del Tevere dove dall'antichità più remota si svolgevano gli scambi commerciali, fecero sì che il luogo costituisse fin dalla fondazione della città lo spazio elettivo in cui condurre attività di mercato e di scambi con altre popolazioni, e – di conseguenza – anche le connesse attività rituali (si pensi all'Ara massima di Ercole) e di socializzazione, come giochi e gare.Con i suoi 600 metri di lunghezza e 140 di larghezza, è considerata la più grande struttura per spettacoli costruita dall'uomo.StoriaLe prime installazioni in legno, probabilmente in gran parte mobili, risalirebbero all'epoca di Tarquinio Prisco, nella prima metà del VI secolo a.C. La costruzione di primi impianti stabili risalirebbe al 329 a.C., quando furono edificati i primi carceres. Le prime strutture in muratura, soprattutto legate alle attrezzature per le gare, si ebbero probabilmente solo nel II secolo a.C. e fu Gaio Giulio Cesare a costruire i primi sedili in muratura e a dare la forma definitiva all'edificio, a partire dal 46 a.C.

The Colloseum, Rome Italy
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
crr
Rome, Italy 00184

Palatine Hill
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via di San Gregorio
Rome, Italy 00186

<>

The Palatine Hill is the centermost of the Seven Hills of Rome and is one of the most ancient parts of the city. It stands 40 metres above the Roman Forum, looking down upon it on one side, and upon the Circus Maximus on the other.It is the etymological origin of the word palace and its cognates in other languages (Italian palazzo, French palais, German Palast, Czech palác, etc.).EtymologyAccording to Livy (59 BC - AD 17) the Palatine hill got its name from the Arcadian settlement of Pallantium. More likely, it is derived from the noun palātum "palate"; Ennius uses it once for the "heaven", and it may be connected with the Etruscan word for sky, falad.The term palace itself stems from Palatium.MythologyAccording to Roman mythology, the Palatine Hill was the location of the cave, known as the Lupercal, where Romulus and Remus were found by the she-wolf Lupa that kept them alive. According to this legend, the shepherd Faustulus thereafter found the infants, and with his wife Acca Larentia raised the children. When they were older, the boys killed their great-uncle (who seized the throne from their grandfather), and they both decided to build a new city of their own on the banks of the River Tiber.

Altare della Patria
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Venezia
Rome, Italy 00186

The Altare della Patria, also known as the Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele II or Il Vittoriano, is a monument built in honour of Victor Emmanuel, the first king of a unified Italy, located in Rome, Italy. It occupies a site between the Piazza Venezia and the Capitoline Hill.The eclectic structure was designed by Giuseppe Sacconi in 1885; sculpture for it was parceled out to established sculptors all over Italy, such as Leonardo Bistolfi and Angelo Zanelli. It was inaugurated in 1911 and completed in 1925.The Vittoriano features stairways, Corinthian columns, fountains, an equestrian sculpture of Victor Emmanuel and two statues of the goddess Victoria riding on quadrigas. The structure is 135m wide and 70m high. If the quadrigae and winged victories are included, the height reaches 81m. It has a total area of 17,000 square metres.The base of the structure houses the museum of Italian Unification. In 2007, a panoramic lift was added to the structure, allowing visitors to ride up to the roof for 360 degree views of Rome.

Fori Imperiali Colosseo - Roma
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Via dei Fori Imperiali
Rome, Italy 00186

<>

Arch of Constantine
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo
Rome, Italy 00184

The Arch of Constantine is a triumphal arch in Rome, situated between the Colosseum and the Palatine Hill. It was erected by the Roman Senate to commemorate Constantine I's victory over Maxentius at the Battle of Milvian Bridge in 312. Dedicated in 315, it is the largest Roman triumphal arch. The arch spans the Via triumphalis, the way taken by the emperors when they entered the city in triumph.Though dedicated to Constantine, much of the decorative material incorporated earlier work from the time of the emperors Trajan, Hadrian and Marcus Aurelius, and is thus a collage. The last of the existing triumphal arches in Rome, it is also the only one to make extensive use of spolia, reusing several major reliefs from 2nd century imperial monuments, which give a striking and famous stylistic contrast to the sculpture newly created for the arch. This earned it the derisive nickname of Cornacchia di Esopo Aesop's Crow.The arch is 21 m high, 25.9 m wide and 7.4 m deep. It has three archways, the central one being 11.5 m high and 6.5 m wide and the lateral archways 7.4 m by 3.4 m each. Above the archways is placed the attic, composed of brickwork reveted with marble. A staircase within the arch is entered from a door at some height from the ground, on the west side, facing the Palatine Hill. The general design with a main part structured by detached columns and an attic with the main inscription above is modelled after the example of the Arch of Septimius Severus on the Roman Forum.

Arco di Costantino
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Via di San Gregorio
Rome, Italy 00186

L'arco di Costantino è un arco trionfale a tre fornici, situato a Roma, a breve distanza dal Colosseo. Oltre alla notevole importanza storica come monumento, l'Arco può essere considerato come un vero e proprio museo di scultura romana ufficiale, straordinario per ricchezza e importanza. Le dimensioni generali del prospetto sono di 21 m di altezza, 25,9 metri di larghezza e 7,4 m di profondità.

Ponte Sisto
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Ponte Sisto, Lungotevere, Roma, Italia
Rome, Italy 00153

Ponte Sisto, noto anche come pons Agrippae, pons Aurelius, pons Antonini, pons Valentiniani o ponte Gianicolense, è un ponte che collega piazza S. Vincenzo Pallotti a piazza Trilussa, a Roma, nei rioni Regola e Trastevere.DescrizioneIl ponte fu costruito per permettere l'attraversamento del Tevere da papa Sisto IV tra il 1473 e il 1479 sul sito di un più antico ponte romano. Collega le due rive del fiume fra via del Pettinari e piazza Trilussa.Un primo ponte venne costruito da Agrippa, amico e genero dell'imperatore Augusto prima della sua morte nel 12 a.C., probabilmente per mettere in collegamento le sue proprietà sulle opposte rive del Tevere. L'esistenza di questo ponte è attestata dall'iscrizione su un cippo dei magistrati che si occupavano del fiume (curatores Tiberis) scoperto nel 1887, che parla di lavori sul ponte all'epoca dell'imperatore Claudio. Il ponte fu in un primo momento identificato con resti di piloni visibili nel fiume a valle di ponte Sisto, che appartengono invece probabilmente ad una fortificazione tarda del fiume. Un frammento dei Fasti ostiensi scoperto nel 1938 e che parla di restauri al ponte di Agrippa sotto Antonino Pio, ha permesso di identificarlo con il "ponte Aurelio" o "ponte di Antonino". Dalla posizione, in quanto permetteva di raggiungere il Gianicolo ebbe anche il nome di "ponte Gianicolense".

Colosseo di Roma
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo, 1
Rome, Italy 00198

0559757007

Palazzo Grazioli
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Via del Plebiscito, 102
Rome, Italy 00186

Tourist Attraction Near Mouth Of Truth

Colosseo
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo
Rome, Italy 00184

Fontana Di Trevi-Roma
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Piazza di Trevi
Rome, Italy 00187

0698875854

Pantheon
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Rotonda
Rome, Italy 00186

0698875854

Appena entrate alzate gli occhi al cielo, un fascio di sole catturerà la vostra attenzione, uno spettacolare raggio di luce filtra obliquo attraverso l’oculus, l’apertura circolare larga 9 m sulla sommità della cupola, illuminando l’intero edificio. In caso di pioggia riparatevi e osservate l’acqua che cade giù prima di sparire nei 22 fori quasi invisibili del pavimento. Dedicato al culto di tutti gli dei (Pan- tutti Theon- divinità), il Pantheon fu costruito dall’imperatore Adriano tra il 118 e il 125 d.c. sui resti di un precedente tempio del 27 a.c. di cui porta ancora l’iscrizione e consacrato come chiesa cristiana nel 609 con il nome di Santa Maria ad Martyres. Nel 1870 è divenuto sacrario dei re d’Italia, e accoglie, le spoglie di Vittorio Emanuele II, Umberto I e Margherita di Savoia. Vi è anche sepolto il sommo artista rinascimentale Raffaello Sanzio.

Pantheon, Rome
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Rotonda 00186 Rome, Italy
San Cesareo, Italy 00186

The Pantheon is a former Roman temple, now a church, in Rome, Italy, on the site of an earlier temple commissioned by Marcus Agrippa during the reign of Augustus (27 BC – 14 AD). The present building was completed by the emperor Hadrian and probably dedicated about 126 AD. He retained Agrippa's original inscription, which has confused its date of construction.The building is circular with a portico of large granite Corinthian columns (eight in the first rank and two groups of four behind) under a pediment. A rectangular vestibule links the porch to the rotunda, which is under a coffered concrete dome, with a central opening (oculus) to the sky. Almost two thousand years after it was built, the Pantheon's dome is still the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome. The height to the oculus and the diameter of the interior circle are the same, 43.3metres.It is one of the best-preserved of all Ancient Roman buildings, in large part because it has been in continuous use throughout its history, and since the 7th century, the Pantheon has been used as a church dedicated to "St. Mary and the Martyrs" (Santa Maria ad Martyres) but informally known as "Santa Maria Rotonda". The square in front of the Pantheon is called Piazza della Rotonda. The Pantheon is a state property, ruled by Italy's Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism through the Polo Museale del Lazio; in 2013 it was visited by over 6 million people.

Trastevere App
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
vicolo moroni 47
Rome, Italy 00153

3884775044

Trastevere, XIII Rione di Roma , la pagina esplora il suo passato e presente con foto e post nel sito. App in progress

Piazza Venezia
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Venezia
Rome, Italy 00187

<>

Piazza Venezia is the central hub of Rome, Italy, in which several thoroughfares intersect, including the Via dei Fori Imperiali and the Via del Corso. It takes its name from the Palazzo Venezia, built by the Venetian Cardinal, Pietro Barbo (later Pope Paul II) alongside the church of Saint Mark, the patron saint of Venice. The Palazzo Venezia served as the embassy of the Republic of Venice in Rome.One side of the Piazza is the site of Italy's Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in the Altare della Patria, part of the imposing Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II, first king of Italy.The piazza or square is at the foot of the Capitoline Hill and next to Trajan's Forum. The main artery, the Viale di Fori Imperiali begins there and leads past the Roman Forum to the Colosseum.In 2009, during excavations in the middle of the square for the construction of the Rome C Metro Line, remains of the emperor Hadrian's Athenaeum were unearthed.

Roman Forum and Palantine Hill
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Via di San Gregorio,
Rome, Italy 00193

+39 06 0608

Circus Maximus
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via Ogliastra 34
Rome, Italy 00186

Il Circo Massimo è un antico circo romano, dedicato alle corse di cavalli, costruito a Roma. Situato nella valle tra il Palatino e l'Aventino, è ricordato come sede di giochi sin dagli inizi della storia della città: nella valle sarebbe avvenuto il mitico episodio del ratto delle Sabine, in occasione dei giochi indetti da Romolo in onore del dio Consus. Di certo l'ampio spazio pianeggiante e la sua prossimità all'approdo del Tevere dove dall'antichità più remota si svolgevano gli scambi commerciali, fecero sì che il luogo costituisse fin dalla fondazione della città lo spazio elettivo in cui condurre attività di mercato e di scambi con altre popolazioni, e – di conseguenza – anche le connesse attività rituali (si pensi all'Ara massima di Ercole) e di socializzazione, come giochi e gare.Con i suoi 600 metri di lunghezza e 140 di larghezza, è considerata la più grande struttura per spettacoli costruita dall'uomo.StoriaLe prime installazioni in legno, probabilmente in gran parte mobili, risalirebbero all'epoca di Tarquinio Prisco, nella prima metà del VI secolo a.C. La costruzione di primi impianti stabili risalirebbe al 329 a.C., quando furono edificati i primi carceres. Le prime strutture in muratura, soprattutto legate alle attrezzature per le gare, si ebbero probabilmente solo nel II secolo a.C. e fu Gaio Giulio Cesare a costruire i primi sedili in muratura e a dare la forma definitiva all'edificio, a partire dal 46 a.C.

Palazzo del Quirinale
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Quirinale
Rome, Italy 00187

3348166150

Fori Imperiali Colosseo - Roma
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Via dei Fori Imperiali
Rome, Italy 00186

<>

Foro Romano E Palatino
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
via sacra
Rome, Italy

Arco di Costantino
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Via di San Gregorio
Rome, Italy 00186

L'arco di Costantino è un arco trionfale a tre fornici, situato a Roma, a breve distanza dal Colosseo. Oltre alla notevole importanza storica come monumento, l'Arco può essere considerato come un vero e proprio museo di scultura romana ufficiale, straordinario per ricchezza e importanza. Le dimensioni generali del prospetto sono di 21 m di altezza, 25,9 metri di larghezza e 7,4 m di profondità.

Capitoline Hill
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Campidoglio
Rome, Italy 00186

<>

The Capitoline Hill, between the Forum and the Campus Martius, is one of the Seven Hills of Rome. It was the citadel (equivalent of the ancient Greek acropolis) of the earliest Romans. The name capitol seems to have meant "dominant height", although ancient tradition places its origin in caput ("skull": a specific skull found while laying the Temple of Jupiter foundation). By the 16th century, Capitolinus had become Capitolino in Italian, with the alternative Campidoglio stemming from Capitolium, one of the three major spurs of the Capitolinus (the others being Arx and Tarpeius). The Capitoline contains few ancient ground-level ruins, as they are almost entirely covered up by Medieval and Renaissance palaces (now housing the Capitoline Museums) that surround a piazza, a significant urban plan designed by Michelangelo.The English word capitol derives from Capitoline. Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. is widely assumed to be named after the Capitoline Hill, but the causation is not crystal clear.

Bocca della Verità
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Via della Greca, 4
Rome, Italy 00186

La Bocca della Verità is an image, carved from Pavonazzo marble, of a man-like face, located in the portico of the church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin in Rome, Italy. The sculpture is thought to be part of a first-century ancient Roman fountain, or perhaps a manhole cover, portraying one of several possible pagan gods, probably Oceanus. Most Romans believe that the 'Bocca' represents the ancient god of the river Tiber.The most famous characteristic of the Mouth, however, is its role as a lie detector. Starting from the Middle Ages, it was believed that if one told a lie with one's hand in the mouth of the sculpture, it would be bitten off. There was also a medieval legend, wrongly believed to originate with the Roman poet Virgil, of an adulterous empress who managed to deceive her husband in a trial using the Mouth. This is an infrequent subject in medieval and Renaissance art, forming part of the Power of Women literary topos. The piece was placed in the portico of the Santa Maria in Cosmedin in the 17th century. This church is also home to the relics of Saint Valentine.

Basilica di San Pietro in Vincoli
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza di San Pietro in Vincoli, 4a
Rome, Italy 00184

0697844950

Altare Della Patria
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Venezia
Rome, Italy 00187

Museo Nazionale Romano - Palazzo Altemps
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Piazza S. Apollinare, 46
Rome, Italy 00100

+39.06.68485186

Victor Emmanuel Monument, Rome
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Venezia, 00186 Roma, Italy
Rome, Italy 00186

+39 06 678 0664

Fountain Of Four Rivers, Rome, Italy
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Navona, 1651
Rome, Italy 00186

<>

Palazzo Ferrajoli
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Colonna
Rome, Italy 00186

<>

Local Business Near Mouth Of Truth

Forum Boarium
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Bocca della Verità, 18
Rome, Italy 00186

The Forum Boarium was the cattle forum venalium of Ancient Rome. It was located on a level piece of land near the Tiber between the Capitoline, the Palatine and Aventine hills. As the site of the original docks of Rome (Portus Tiberinus), the Forum Boarium experienced intense commercial activity.The Forum Boarium was the site of the first gladiatorial contest at Rome which took place in 264 BC as part of aristocratic funerary ritual—a munus or funeral gift for the dead. Marcus and Decimus Junius Brutus Scaeva put on a gladiatorial combat in honor of their deceased father with three pairs of gladiators.The site was also a religious center housing the Temple of Hercules Victor, the Temple of Portunus (Temple of Fortuna Virilis), and the massive 6th or 5th century BC Great Altar of Hercules.ArchitectureThe Temple of Hercules Victor or Hercules Olivarius (Hercules as protector of the olive trade), is a circular peristyle building dating from the 2nd century BC. It consists of a colonnade of Corinthian columns arranged in a concentric ring around the cylindrical cella, resting on a tuff foundation. These elements originally supported an architrave and roof which have disappeared. It is the earliest surviving marble building in Rome. For centuries, this was known as the Temple of Vesta.

Roof Garden Restaurant, Fortyseven Hotel
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
Via L.Petroselli, 47
Rome, Italy 00186

06/6787816

Goditi l'eccezionale e romantico spettacolo delle luci che illuminano i monumenti e i tesori di Roma, mentre assapori le delizie della cucina mediterranea preparate dallo Chef Giacomo Tasca. Pochi i ristoranti panoramici a Roma in grado di offrire tutto questo. Il Ristorante del Circus Roof Garden è uno spazio all’aperto e ti accoglierà nei mesi piu caldi (tempo permettendo!) , con la sua incantevole vista, l'ideale cornice per i vostri momenti romantici. Durante l'Inverno vi aspetta l'atmosfera calda e accogliente del Giano lounge Restaurant. Sempre aperti, pranzo e cena. Si richiede la prenotazione.

Circus Ristorante at the Fortyseven Hotel
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
Via Luigi Pettoselli 47. Rome, Italy
Rome, Italy 00186

066787819

Fortyseven Preferred Boutique Hotel
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
Via Luigi Petroselli 47
Rome, Italy 50239

+39.06.6787816

Fondazione Teatro Dell Opera Di Roma
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Bocca Della Verita' 16
Rome, Italy 00186

066793431

Arch of Janus
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Via del Velabro 16
Rome, Italy 00186

The Arch of Janus is the only quadrifrons triumphal arch preserved in Rome. It was set up at a crossroads at the northeastern limit of the Forum Boarium, close to the Velabrum, over the Cloaca Maxima drain that went from the Forum to the River Tiber. It was built in the early 4th century CE, using spolia, i.e. material from earlier buildings, including bricks, together with pottery shards, and was covered with white marble, also from earlier buildings. The exact significance of the arch is poorly understood: it is thought to have been a boundary marker rather than a triumphal arch. An alternative view is that it was built to provide shelter for the traders at the Forum Boarium cattle market. Some researchers believe it was dedicated to Constantine I or Constantius II and was known as the Arch of the Deified Constantine. It is 16 meters high and 12 meters wide.Each pier of the arch has two rows of three niches. It seems logical that statues would have filled these 48 niches but none has been identified. The stone at the apex of the central arch on the north side is thought to depict Minerva, although others believe it may be Palladium. Its current name probably dates from the Renaissance or later, and was not used to describe it in classical antiquity. The name is derived from the structure's four-fronted, four-arched configuration. The ancient Roman God Janus (Ianus Quadrifons), was sometimes depicted with four faces and there are Janus-related structures mentioned in historic descriptions of ancient Rome.

Anagrafe
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
del fringuello
Rome, Italy 00186

San Giorgio in Velabro
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Via del Velabro 19
Rome, Italy 00186

San Giorgio in Velabro is a church in Rome, Italy, devoted to St. George.The church is located in the ancient Roman Velabrum, near the Arch of Janus, in the rione of Ripa. Sited near the River Tiber, it is within a complex of Republican-era pagan temples associated with the port of Rome. The ancient Arcus Argentariorum is attached to the side of the church's façade.San Giorgio in Velabro is the station church for the first Thursday in Lent.HistoryThe first religious building attested in the place of the current basilica is a diaconia, funded by Pope Gregory the Great.The current church was built during the 7th century, possibly by Pope Leo II, who dedicated it to Saint Sebastian. A 482 inscription in the catacombs of St. Callixtus probably refers of a church in the same zone. Its plan is irregular, indeed slightly trapezoidal, as a result of the frequent additions to the building. As can be seen from the lower photograph, the interior columns are almost randomly arranged having been taken from sundry Roman temples.

Santeo
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Via Di San Teodoro 88
Rome, Italy 00186

0669920945

Anima Mundi
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Via del Velabro 1
Rome, Italy 00161

Aula consiliare Municipio " Roma Centro Storico"
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Via della Greca, 5
Rome, Italy 00186

San Nicola in Carcere
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via del Teatro Marcello 46
Rome, Italy 00186

San Nicola in Carcere is a titular church in Rome near the Forum Boarium in rione Sant'Angelo. It is one of the traditional stational churches of Lent.HistoryThe first church on the site was probably built in the 6th century, and a 10th-century inscription may be seen on a fluted column next to the entrance, but the first definite dedication is from a plaque on the church dating to 1128. The inscriptions found in S. Angelo, a valuable source illustrating the history of the Basilica, have been collected and published by Vincenzo Forcella.It was constructed in and from the ruins of the Forum Holitorium and its temples, along with a jail (carcer) which a tradition (supported by Pliny's history of Rome) states was sited in the temples' ruins. However, the in Carcere (in jail) part of the name of the church was only changed to "in Carcere Tulliano" in the 14th century, owing to an erroneous identification. The prison was really that of Byzantine times (LPD i.515, n13; ii.295, n12).Spolia from all these ancient remains is still apparent in the church's construction, most particularly three columns from the Temple of Juno Sospita which are incorporated into both the 10th century and 1599 north façades of the church.The dedication to St Nicholas was made by the Greek population in the area. In the 11th century, it was known as the church of Petrus Leonis, referring to the converted Jewish family, the Pierleoni, who rebuilt the nearby Theatre of Marcellus as a fortress. One of their members, Pietro Pierleone, was an important cardinal in the 1120s and was elected Pope Anacletus II, though he was later branded a schismatic antipope.

Piazza Della Consolazione
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Consolazione
Rome, Italy 00186

San Nicola In Carcere
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via Del Teatro Di Marcello 46
Rome, Italy 00186

066869972

Clivo di Rocca Savella
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Clivo di Rocca Savella 00153 Roma Italy
Rome, Italy

'Life is a Book,and you are my Favorite Chapter'
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
city of 1000000 loverz
Rome, Italy

Giuda Ballerino All'isola Del Cinema
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Isola Tiberina
Rome, Italy 00186

San Bartolomeo all'Isola
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Piazza di San Bartolomeo all'isola, 22
Rome, Italy 00186

The Basilica of St. Bartholomew on the Island (Basilica di San Bartolomeo all'Isola, Basilica S. Bartholomaei in Insula) is a titular minor basilica, located in Rome, Italy. It was founded at the end of the 10th century by Otto III, Holy Roman Emperor. It contains the relics of St. Bartholomew the Apostle, and is located on Tiber Island, on the site of the former temple of Aesculapius, which had cleansed the island of its former ill-repute among the Romans and established its reputation as a hospital, continued under Christian auspices today.The most recent Cardinal priest of the Titulus S. Bartholomaei in Insula was Cardinal Francis George, the Archbishop Emeritus of Chicago, who died on Friday, April 17, 2015.HistoryIn Roman times, the Temple of Aesculapius stood on the site of the modern church. The entire Isola Tiberina had actually been covered in marble in an effort to make the island look like a ship. The prow can still be seen today.

L'isola Del Cinema - Isola Tiberina
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
isola tiberina
Rome, Italy 00186

Via Di San Teodoro
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
via di san teodoro
Rome, Italy

<>