EuroZoid
Discover The Most Popular Places In Europe

BBC Radio Theatre, London | Tourist Information


Broadcasting House, Portland Place
London, United Kingdom W1A 1AA

+44 (0) 20 7743 8000

Broadcasting House is the headquarters of the BBC, in Portland Place and Langham Place, London. The first radio broadcast was made on 15 March 1932, and the building was officially opened two months later, on 15 May. The main building is in Art Deco style, with a facing of Portland stone over a steel frame. It is a Grade II* listed building and includes the BBC Radio Theatre, where music and speech programmes are recorded in front of a studio audience, and lobby that was used as a location for filming the 1998 BBC television series In the Red.As part of a major consolidation of the BBC's property portfolio in London, Broadcasting House has been extensively renovated and extended. This involved the demolition of post-war extensions on the eastern side of the building, replaced by a new wing completed in 2005. The wing was named the "John Peel Wing" in 2012, after the disc jockey. BBC London, BBC Arabic Television and BBC Persian Television are housed in the new wing, which also contains the reception area for BBC Radio 1 and BBC Radio 1Xtra (the studios themselves are in the new extension to the main building).The main building was refurbished, and an extension built to the rear. The radio stations BBC Radio 3, BBC Radio 4, BBC Radio 4 Extra and the BBC World Service transferred to refurbished studios within the building. The extension links the old building with the John Peel Wing, and includes a new combined newsroom for BBC News, with studios for the BBC News channel, BBC World News and other news programming. The move of news operations from BBC Television Centre completed in March 2013.

Landmark Near BBC Radio Theatre

House of Lords
Distance: 1.6 mi Tourist Information
Parliament Sq
London, SW1P 3

+44 800 223 0855

The House of Lords, formally styled the Right Honourable the Lords Spiritual and Temporal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in Parliament assembled and referred to ceremonially as the House of Peers, is the upper house of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. Like the House of Commons, it meets in the Palace of Westminster.Unlike the elected House of Commons, all members of the House of Lords (excluding 90 hereditary peers elected among themselves and two peers who are ex officio members) are appointed. The membership of the House of Lords is drawn from the peerage and is made up of Lords Spiritual and Lords Temporal. The Lords Spiritual are 26 bishops in the established Church of England. Of the Lords Temporal, the majority are life peers who are appointed by the monarch on the advice of the Prime Minister, or on the advice of the House of Lords Appointments Commission. However, they also include some hereditary peers including four dukes. Membership was once an entitlement of all hereditary peers, other than those in the peerage of Ireland, but under the House of Lords Act 1999, the right to membership was restricted to 92 hereditary peers. Very few of these are female since most hereditary peerages can only be inherited by men.

House of Lords
Distance: 1.6 mi Tourist Information
Parliament Sq
London, SW1A 0AA

020 7219 3000

สภาขุนนาง เป็น สภาสูงในรัฐสภาแห่งอังกฤษ ประกอบด้วยสมาชิกสภาขุนนาง ซึ่งในภาษาอังกฤษเดิมเรียกว่า "Peer" และปัจจุบันว่า "Lord" ทั้งหมดกว่าเจ็ดร้อยคน ทุกคนมาจากการแต่งตั้ง เข้าคู่กับ สภาสามัญชนซึ่งเป็นสภาล่าง สมาชิกสภาสามัญชนทั้งหมดมาจากการเลือกตั้งสภาขุนนางจะแยกเป็นอิสระจากสภาสามัญชน โดยมีอำนาจถ่วงดุลและตรวจสอบการทำงานของรัฐสภา โดยเฉพาะการพิจารณาเพื่อผ่านร่างกฎหมาย โดยสภาขุนนางมีอำนาจที่จะระงับการบังคับใช้กฎหมายได้ในระยะเวลาหนึ่ง เพื่อให้รัฐบาล สภาสามัญชน และประชาชนร่วมกันพิจารณาถึงความจำเป็นของร่างกฎหมายนั้นๆอย่างรอบคอบ สภาขุนนางยังมีหน้าที่พิทักษ์รัฐธรรมนูญ และป้องกันมิให้มีกฎหมายใดขัดต่อรัฐธรรมนูญ และสิทธิมนุษยชน ซึ่งในประเทศอื่นๆ จะมีศาลรัฐธรรมนูญ ทำหน้าที่แทนสภาชิกสภาขุนนางแบ่งเป็นสี่ประเภท คือ ขุนนางตลอดชีพ - มาจากการแต่งตั้งโดยนายกรัฐมนตรี และจะดำรงตำแหน่งไปตลอดชีวิต ปัจจุบัน สมาชิกประเภทนี้มีจำนวนมากที่สุด ขุนนางสืบตระกูล - มาจากการสืบทอดตำแหน่งทางสายโลหิต เดิมสภาขุนนางมีแต่สมาชิกประเภทนี้เท่านั้น ในสมัยหลัง ๆ สมาชิกประเภทนี้ลดจำนวนลง โดย "พระราชบัญญัติรัฐสภา ค.ศ. 1999" กำหนดให้มีเพียงเก้าสิบสองคนเท่านั้น ในการนี้ ให้เก้าสิบคนมาจากการสรรหาโดยสมาชิกสืบตระกูลที่ดำรงตำแหน่งอยู่ก่อนแล้ว อีกสองคน คือ "สมุหพระราชวัง" และ "สมุหพระราชมนเทียร" ขุนนางฝ่ายศาสนา - มาจากตัวแทนของศาสนา เช่น บิชอปและอาร์ชบิชอปต่าง ๆ

House of Lords
Distance: 1.6 mi Tourist Information
Parliament Sq
London, SW1A 0AA

020 7219 3000

สภาขุนนาง เป็น สภาสูงในรัฐสภาแห่งอังกฤษ ประกอบด้วยสมาชิกสภาขุนนาง ซึ่งในภาษาอังกฤษเดิมเรียกว่า "Peer" และปัจจุบันว่า "Lord" ทั้งหมดกว่าเจ็ดร้อยคน ทุกคนมาจากการแต่งตั้ง เข้าคู่กับ สภาสามัญชนซึ่งเป็นสภาล่าง สมาชิกสภาสามัญชนทั้งหมดมาจากการเลือกตั้งสภาขุนนางจะแยกเป็นอิสระจากสภาสามัญชน โดยมีอำนาจถ่วงดุลและตรวจสอบการทำงานของรัฐสภา โดยเฉพาะการพิจารณาเพื่อผ่านร่างกฎหมาย โดยสภาขุนนางมีอำนาจที่จะระงับการบังคับใช้กฎหมายได้ในระยะเวลาหนึ่ง เพื่อให้รัฐบาล สภาสามัญชน และประชาชนร่วมกันพิจารณาถึงความจำเป็นของร่างกฎหมายนั้นๆอย่างรอบคอบ สภาขุนนางยังมีหน้าที่พิทักษ์รัฐธรรมนูญ และป้องกันมิให้มีกฎหมายใดขัดต่อรัฐธรรมนูญ และสิทธิมนุษยชน ซึ่งในประเทศอื่นๆ จะมีศาลรัฐธรรมนูญ ทำหน้าที่แทนสภาชิกสภาขุนนางแบ่งเป็นสี่ประเภท คือ ขุนนางตลอดชีพ - มาจากการแต่งตั้งโดยนายกรัฐมนตรี และจะดำรงตำแหน่งไปตลอดชีวิต ปัจจุบัน สมาชิกประเภทนี้มีจำนวนมากที่สุด ขุนนางสืบตระกูล - มาจากการสืบทอดตำแหน่งทางสายโลหิต เดิมสภาขุนนางมีแต่สมาชิกประเภทนี้เท่านั้น ในสมัยหลัง ๆ สมาชิกประเภทนี้ลดจำนวนลง โดย "พระราชบัญญัติรัฐสภา ค.ศ. 1999" กำหนดให้มีเพียงเก้าสิบสองคนเท่านั้น ในการนี้ ให้เก้าสิบคนมาจากการสรรหาโดยสมาชิกสืบตระกูลที่ดำรงตำแหน่งอยู่ก่อนแล้ว อีกสองคน คือ "สมุหพระราชวัง" และ "สมุหพระราชมนเทียร" ขุนนางฝ่ายศาสนา - มาจากตัวแทนของศาสนา เช่น บิชอปและอาร์ชบิชอปต่าง ๆ

Embassy of Ecuador, London
Distance: 1.6 mi Tourist Information
Flat 3b, 3 Hans Crescent, London SW1X 0LS
London, SW1X 0

20-75842648

The embassy of Ecuador in London is the diplomatic mission of Ecuador in the United Kingdom. It is headed by the ambassador of Ecuador to the United Kingdom. It is located in the Knightsbridge district in a building it shares with the Embassy of Colombia, near Harrods, Hyde Park, and Hans Place, precisely at 3 Hans Crescent at the intersection of Basil Street, and it is served by the Knightsbridge station.The Ecuadorian embassy is the temporary home of the Australian editor, activist, publisher and journalist Julian Assange, who initially entered it on 19 June 2012 claiming diplomatic asylum, which was granted by the Ecuadorian government on 16 August 2012.The embassy is charged with representing the interests of the president and government of Ecuador, improving diplomatic relations between Ecuador and the accredited countries, promoting and improving the image and standing of Ecuador in the accredited nations, promoting the culture of Ecuador, encouraging and facilitating tourism to and from Ecuador, and ensuring the safety of Ecuadorians abroad.

Zafferano
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
15 Lowndes Street
London, SW1X 9

Tel 020 7235 5800

Zafferano is a restaurant located in London, and was originally run by Giorgio Locatelli on behalf of A-Z Restaurants until 2005. The restaurant was awarded one michelin star in 1999, which it held until this star was stripped from it 2012.HistoryZafferano was opened by chef Giorgio Locatelli in February 1995 in Knightsbridge, London. The restaurant's name comes from the Italian for saffron. The location had previously been a fish restaurant, but under Locatelli the new restaurant served Italian food. The major investor in the restaurant was Claudio Pulze, who owned the restaurant through his company A-Z Restaurants. Locatelli's pay was based on percentage of the overall performance of the restaurant. Chef Angela Hartnett worked at the restaurant as she rotated around the A-Z Restaurants range of establishments.The restaurant was awarded a Michelin star in the list published in 1999. While as chef-proprietor of Zafferanno, Locatelli was named the Outstanding London Chef of 2001 at the London Restaurant Awards, but shortly afterwards left the restaurant following disagreements with new head of A-Z Restaurants, Giuliano Lotto. Andrew Needham took over as head chef, having previously been sous chef to Locatelli.After A-Z Restaurants went into administrations in November 2004, Locatelli stated publicly that he was interested in purchasing Zafferano. The group, including Zafferano, was sold back to Claudio Pulze with new partner John De Stefano. In 2007, Pulze sold his share of the company to De Stefano. The restaurant expanded during the same year, and opened a delicatessen.

The Colombian Embassy
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
3 Hans Crescent
London, SW1X 0LS

+44 (0) 20 7589 9177

St Ermin's Hotel
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
2 Caxton Street,
London, SW1H 0

(20) 7222 6914

St. Ermin's Hotel is a four-star central London hotel adjacent to St James's Park underground station, close to Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament. The Grade II-listed late Victorian building, built as one of the early mansion blocks in the city is thought to be named after an ancient monastery reputed to have occupied the site pre-10th century. Converted to a hotel in 1896–99, it became during the 1930s, through the Second World War and beyond, a meeting place of the British intelligence services, notably the birthplace of the Special Operations Executive (SOE), and where notorious Cambridge Five double agents Philby and MacLean met their Russian handlers.BackgroundThe St Ermin's Hotel in St James's Park, London was originally a horse-shoe shaped mansion block built in 1887–89 to the designs of E. T. Hall (1851–1923). Mansion blocks (high-status, serviced apartments) were first seen in Victoria Street, London in the 1850s and remain a feature of the area today. St Ermin's Mansions was typical in both plan and elevation; Hall employed the fashionable red-brick Queen Anne style for the exterior and grouped the apartments around a courtyard which functioned both as a carriageway and garden for the residents. Four entrances led off the courtyard into the apartments (the two entrances in the side wings still exist in their original form to this day). By 1894 the building appears to have been extended along Broadway as far as St Ermin's Hill.

55 Broadway
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
55 Broadway
London, SW1H 0BD

0843 222 1234

55 Broadway is a Grade I listed building overlooking St. James's Park in London. It was designed by Charles Holden and built between 1927 and 1929; in 1931 the building earned him the RIBA London Architecture Medal.It was constructed as a new headquarters for the Underground Electric Railways Company of London (UERL), the main forerunner of London Underground. Upon completion, it was the tallest office block in the city.London Underground was due to vacate the building in 2015 for new headquarters, and 55 Broadway will be converted for residential use.DescriptionFaced with Portland stone and covering a site with an irregular footprint, the upper office floors of the building are on a cruciform plan, stepping back towards the central clock tower at the top. The cruciform design afforded the optimum level of natural light to the offices. The ground floor now contains a shopping arcade and many art deco details. Previously the ground floor was also given over to London Transport offices, including a travel information centre, cash office and a library. The whole building straddles St. James's Park tube station, the east and west wings being immediately above the railway tunnel. When finished it was the tallest steel-framed office building in London, until another Holden building, the University of London's Senate House (based on similar designs and materials), took the accolade.

Palace of Westminster
Distance: 1.6 mi Tourist Information
Westminster
London, SW1A 2

020 7219 3000

The Palace of Westminster is the meeting place of the House of Commons and the House of Lords, the two houses of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. Commonly known as the Houses of Parliament after its occupants, it is also known as the 'heart of British politics'. The Palace lies on the north bank of the River Thames in the City of Westminster, in central London.Its name, which derives from the neighbouring Westminster Abbey, may refer to either of two structures: the Old Palace, a medieval building complex destroyed by fire in 1834, and its replacement, the New Palace that stands today. The palace is owned by the monarch in right of the Crown and, for ceremonial purposes, retains its original status as a royal residence. The building is managed by BNP Paribas Real Estate, which reports to the Speaker of the House of Commons and the Lord Speaker.The first royal palace was built on the site in the 11th century, and Westminster was the primary residence of the Kings of England until fire destroyed much of the complex in 1512. After that, it served as the home of the Parliament of England, which had been meeting there since the 13th century, and also as the seat of the Royal Courts of Justice, based in and around Westminster Hall. In 1834, an even greater fire ravaged the heavily rebuilt Houses of Parliament, and the only significant medieval structures to survive were Westminster Hall, the Cloisters of St Stephen's, the Chapel of St Mary Undercroft, and the Jewel Tower.

High Commission of Pakistan, London
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
34-36 Lowndes Square
London, SW1X 9JN

+44 (0)20 7664 9200

The High Commission of Pakistan in London is the diplomatic mission of Pakistan in the United Kingdom.In September 2015, DAWN (newspaper) reported Prime Minister of Pakistan Nawaz Sharif constituted a four-member committee to explore the possibility of selling the High Commission building.

Demi Kenny Huggett
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
17 Sloane St, Knightsbridge, London SW1X 9NU
London, SW1X 9NU

+44 20 7422 8400

Pétrus
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
1 Kinnerton Street
London, SW1X 8

020 7592 1609

Pétrus is a restaurant in London, which serves Modern French cuisine. It is located in Kinnerton Street, Belgravia and is part of Gordon Ramsay restaurants owned by celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay's Kavalake Limited. It has held one Michelin star since 2011, and five AA Rosettes. Controversy arose when the star was first awarded. It has received mixed reviews from food critics both while in its current incarnation, and while it was run by head chef Marcus Wareing. It was felt that the dishes were sometimes overcomplicated, and designed primarily to gain Michelin stars. The restaurant was named after the French wine Pétrus.It is now in its third location, and used to be located in St James's Street, London, and The Berkeley hotel, where it was run by head chef Wareing. By the time Pétrus' lease ran out in September 2008, it held two Michelin stars under Wareing. This resulted in a public feud between Wareing and Ramsay as Wareing took over Pétrus' former location in the hotel, opening his restaurant Marcus Wareing at the Berkeley, while Ramsay retained the rights to the Pétrus name.DescriptionThe current Pétrus restaurant is located in 1 Kinnerton Street, Belgravia, London, where it was opened on 29 March 2010 under Head Chef Sean Burbidge. He had worked in other Gordon Ramsay restaurants including Restaurant Gordon Ramsay and Gordon Ramsay au Trianon, but it is his first position as head chef.

Wellington Barracks
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
Birdcage Walk
London, SW1E 6HQ

020 7222 3612

The Foot Guards Battalions on public duties in London are located in barracks conveniently close to Buckingham Palace for them to be able to reach the Palace very quickly in an emergency. In central London, three companies are based at Wellington Barracks, Westminster, about 300 yards from Buckingham Palace between Birdcage Walk and Petty France. Wellington Barracks is also home to all of the Foot Guards bands and all of the Regimental Headquarters.HistoryWellington Barracks were designed by Sir Francis Smith and Philip Hardwick and opened in 1833. The Guards Chapel was rebuilt in the 1960s after the original chapel was destroyed by a bomb in World War II. On 31 August 2007, Diana, Princess of Wales' two sons, Prince William and Prince Harry, organised a memorial service in the chapel, marking the 10th anniversary of their mother's death. The Grenadier Guards, Coldstream Guards and Scots Guards currently have a company based at the barracks.

102 Petty France
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
102 Petty France
London, SW1H 0BB

0203 334 3555

102 Petty France is an office block on Petty France in Westminster, London, overlooking St. James's Park, which was designed by Fitzroy Robinson & Partners, with Sir Basil Spence and completed in 1976. It was well known as the main location for the UK Home Office between 1978 and 2004 when it was known as 50 Queen Anne's Gate and now houses the Ministry of Justice and Her Majesty's Courts and Tribunals Service. The building is 56m high, with 14 floors providing 51000m2 of office space.HistoryThe site was previously occupied by the 14-storey mansion block Queen Anne's Mansions which were despised by some architectural commentators - Lord Reigate speaking in the House of Lords in 1972 against the plans for the new building used Pevsner's description "that irredeemable horror" However, the new building's architecture was not favourably received, either, due to its scale and massing with protruding elements at the upper and lower floors, often being described as a Brutalist design: it was sometimes known to those who worked there as "the Lubyanka". Fodor's guide to London described it as "hulking", and Lord St John of Fawsley remarked that "Basil Spence's barracks in Hyde Park ruined that park; in fact, he has the distinction of having ruined two parks, because of his Home Office building, which towers above St James's Park." The building was originally built as a speculative office development but the Home Office moved to it due to lack of space in its previous headquarters in Whitehall.

102 Petty France
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
102 Petty France
London, SW1H 0BB

0203 334 3555

102 Petty France is an office block on Petty France in Westminster, London, overlooking St. James's Park, which was designed by Fitzroy Robinson & Partners, with Sir Basil Spence and completed in 1976. It was well known as the main location for the UK Home Office between 1978 and 2004 when it was known as 50 Queen Anne's Gate and now houses the Ministry of Justice and Her Majesty's Courts and Tribunals Service. The building is 56m high, with 14 floors providing 51000m2 of office space.HistoryThe site was previously occupied by the 14-storey mansion block Queen Anne's Mansions which were despised by some architectural commentators - Lord Reigate speaking in the House of Lords in 1972 against the plans for the new building used Pevsner's description "that irredeemable horror" However, the new building's architecture was not favourably received, either, due to its scale and massing with protruding elements at the upper and lower floors, often being described as a Brutalist design: it was sometimes known to those who worked there as "the Lubyanka". Fodor's guide to London described it as "hulking", and Lord St John of Fawsley remarked that "Basil Spence's barracks in Hyde Park ruined that park; in fact, he has the distinction of having ruined two parks, because of his Home Office building, which towers above St James's Park." The building was originally built as a speculative office development but the Home Office moved to it due to lack of space in its previous headquarters in Whitehall.

Westminster Abbey
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
20 Dean's Yard
London, SW1P 3PA

020 7222 5152

St Margaret's, Westminster
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
20 Dean's Yard
London, SW1P 3

+44(0)20 7222 5152

The Church of St Margaret, Westminster Abbey, is situated in the grounds of Westminster Abbey on Parliament Square, and is the Anglican parish church of the House of Commons of the United Kingdom in London. It is dedicated to Margaret of Antioch.History and descriptionOriginally founded in the twelfth century by Benedictine monks, so that local people who lived in the area around the Abbey could worship separately at their own simpler parish church, and historically part of the hundred of Ossulstone in the county of Middlesex, St Margaret's was rebuilt from 1486 to 1523. It became the parish church of the Palace of Westminster in 1614, when the Puritans of the seventeenth century, unhappy with the highly liturgical Abbey, chose to hold Parliamentary services in the more "suitable" St Margaret's: a practice that has continued since that time.The Rector of St Margaret's is a canon of Westminster Abbey.The north-west tower was rebuilt by John James from 1734 to 1738; at the same time, the whole structure was encased in Portland stone. Both the eastern and the western porch were added later by J. L. Pearson. The church's interior was greatly restored and altered to its current appearance by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1877, although many of the Tudor features were retained.

Middlesex Guildhall
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
Parliament Square, LONDON, SW1P 3BD
London, SW1P 3BD

The Middlesex Guildhall is the home of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom and of the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council. It stands on the south-west corner of Parliament Square in London.HistoryThe location in Parliament Square was the site of the belfry of Westminster Abbey and it was used as a market from 1750 to 1800. The justices of the City and Liberty of Westminster took it over and an octagonal guildhall with a Doric portico was constructed by Samuel Pepys Cockerell in 1805. In 1889 Westminster became part of the County of London, outside the county of Middlesex. In the division of property between the Middlesex and London county councils, the guildhall at Westminster went to Middlesex in exchange for the Middlesex Sessions House in Clerkenwell. A neo-Tudor guildhall was constructed on the site in 1893 by F. H. Pownall.The current building was built between 1912 and 1913, designed by J. S. Gibson, in what Pevsner called an "art nouveau gothic" style, and decorated with medieval-looking gargoyles and other architectural sculptures by Henry Charles Fehr. The county council and the Middlesex sessions were abolished in 1965 and the Guildhall continued to be used by the Greater London Quarter Sessions. After the abolition of the Quarter Sessions it was used as a Crown Court centre.

Parliament Square
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
Parliament Square
London, SW1A 2

Parliament Square is a square at the northwest end of the Palace of Westminster in London. It features a large open green area in the centre with trees to its west and it contains eleven statues of statesmen and other notable individuals.As well as being one of London's main tourist attractions, it is also the place where many demonstrations and protests have been held. The square is overlooked by various official buildings: legislature to the east (in the Houses of Parliament), executive offices to the north (on Whitehall), the judiciary to the west (the Supreme Court), and the church to the south (with Westminster Abbey).LocationBuildings looking upon the square include the churches Westminster Abbey and St Margaret's, Westminster, the Middlesex Guildhall which is the seat of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom, Government Offices Great George Street serving HM Treasury and HM Revenue and Customs, and Portcullis House.Roads that branch off the Parliament Square are St. Margaret Street (towards Millbank), Broad Sanctuary (towards Victoria Street), Great George Street (towards Birdcage Walk), Parliament Street (leading into Whitehall), and Bridge Street (leading onto Westminster Bridge).

Wilton Crescent
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
Wilton Crescent
London, SW1X 8

Wilton Crescent is a street in Belgravia, London.OverviewWilton Crescent was created by Thomas Cundy II, the Grosvenor family estate surveyor, and was drawn up with the original 1821 Wyatt plan for Belgravia. It was named at the time of Thomas Egerton, 2nd Earl of Wilton, second son of Robert Grosvenor, 1st Marquess of Westminster on whose estate the road was built in 1825 by Seth Smith.In the 19th and 20th century, it was home to many prominent British politicians, ambassadors and civil servants. Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma (1900–1979) lived at 2 Wilton Crescent for many years. Today there is a blue plaque on the house marking this. Like much of Belgravia, Wilton Crescent is characterised by grand terraces with lavish white houses which are built in a crescent shape, many of them with stuccoed balconies, particularly on the southern part of the crescent. The houses to the north of the crescent are stone clad and five stories high and were refaced between 1908 and 1912. Most of the houses had originally been built in the stucco style, but such houses became stone clad during this renovation period. Other houses today have black iron balconies.Wilton Crescent lies east of Lowndes Square and Lowndes Street, to the northwest of Belgrave Square. It is accessed via Wilton Place which connects it to the main road in Knightsbridge. It is adjacent to Grosvenor Crescent to the east, which contains the Indonesian Embassy. Further to the east lies Buckingham Palace. The play Major Barbara is partly set at Lady Britomart's house in Wilton Crescent. In 2007, Wilton Garden in the middle of the crescent won a bronze medal by the London Gardens Society.

Wilton Crescent
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
Wilton Crescent
London, SW1X 8

Wilton Crescent is a street in Belgravia, London.OverviewWilton Crescent was created by Thomas Cundy II, the Grosvenor family estate surveyor, and was drawn up with the original 1821 Wyatt plan for Belgravia. It was named at the time of Thomas Egerton, 2nd Earl of Wilton, second son of Robert Grosvenor, 1st Marquess of Westminster on whose estate the road was built in 1825 by Seth Smith.In the 19th and 20th century, it was home to many prominent British politicians, ambassadors and civil servants. Louis Mountbatten, 1st Earl Mountbatten of Burma (1900–1979) lived at 2 Wilton Crescent for many years. Today there is a blue plaque on the house marking this. Like much of Belgravia, Wilton Crescent is characterised by grand terraces with lavish white houses which are built in a crescent shape, many of them with stuccoed balconies, particularly on the southern part of the crescent. The houses to the north of the crescent are stone clad and five stories high and were refaced between 1908 and 1912. Most of the houses had originally been built in the stucco style, but such houses became stone clad during this renovation period. Other houses today have black iron balconies.Wilton Crescent lies east of Lowndes Square and Lowndes Street, to the northwest of Belgrave Square. It is accessed via Wilton Place which connects it to the main road in Knightsbridge. It is adjacent to Grosvenor Crescent to the east, which contains the Indonesian Embassy. Further to the east lies Buckingham Palace. The play Major Barbara is partly set at Lady Britomart's house in Wilton Crescent. In 2007, Wilton Garden in the middle of the crescent won a bronze medal by the London Gardens Society.

49 Belgrave Square
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
49 Belgrave Square
London, SW1X 8

El Número 49 de Belgrave Square es una casa catalogada de grado II en Belgravia, Londres, Reino Unido. Actualmente aquí funciona la residencia del embajador argentino ante el Reino Unido, desde 2016 Renato Carlos Sersale Di Cerisano. La embajada se ubica en el Número 65 de Brook Street.HistoriaFue terminada en 1851, diseñada por Thomas Cubitt. En 1859, Mayhew & Knight construyeron la entrada y añadieron el vestíbulo octogonal.Era conocido originalmente como el Independent North Mansion.El primer propietario, Sidney Herbert, primer barón Herbert of Lea, la llamó Belgrave Villa. Su hijo, Sidney Herbert, decimocuarto conde de Pembroke nació allí en 1853.Después de Herbert, el duque de Richmond vivió aquí.La casa fue posteriormente adquirida por Alfred Beit, y su hermano Sir Otto Beit la heredó en 1906. Su hijo Sir Alfred Beit, segundo baronet se crió allí y tras la muerte de su padre en 1930 heredó la casa, junto con su gran colección de arte. Se trasladó a Kensington Palace Gardens, y vendió la casa en 1936.El edificio fue adquirido por Argentina en 1936, y desde entonces ha sido utilizado como residencia oficial de su embajador. Se ha abierto al público una semana al año desde 2006, como parte de Open House London.

Big Ben
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
Westminster Bridge Rd
London, SW1A 2

020 7219 4272

Big Ben is the nickname for the Great Bell of the clock at the north end of the Palace of Westminster in London, and often extended to refer to the clock and the clock tower. The tower is officially known as Elizabeth Tower, renamed to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II in 2012; previously it was known simply as the Clock Tower. When completed in 1859, it was, says clockmaker Ian Westworth, “the prince of timekeepers: the biggest, most accurate four-faced striking and chiming clock in the world.” The tower had its 150th anniversary on 31 May 2009, during which celebratory events took place.A British cultural icon, the tower is one of the most prominent symbols of the United Kingdom and is often in the establishing shot of films set in London.TowerThe Elizabeth Tower, more popularly known as Big Ben, was raised as a part of Charles Barry's design for a new palace, after the old Palace of Westminster was largely destroyed by fire on the night of 16 October 1834. The new parliament was built in a neo-gothic style. Although Barry was the chief architect of the palace, he turned to Augustus Pugin for the design of the clock tower, which resembles earlier Pugin designs, including one for Scarisbrick Hall. The design for the tower was Pugin's last design before his final descent into madness and death, and Pugin himself wrote, at the time of Barry's last visit to him to collect the drawings: "I never worked so hard in my life for Mr Barry for tomorrow I render all the designs for finishing his bell tower & it is beautiful." The tower is designed in Pugin's celebrated Gothic Revival style, and is 315ft high.

The Houses Of Parliament & Big Ben - London
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
Parliament Square
London, SW1P 3JX

Buckingham Palace
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
Buckingham Palace Road
London, SW1A 1AA

Buckhingam Palace
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
Spell it correctly!! It's BUCKINGHAM
London,

Buckingham Palace is the London residence and administrative headquarters of the reigning monarch of the United Kingdom. Located in the City of Westminster, the palace is often at the centre of state occasions and royal hospitality. It has been a focal point for the British people at times of national rejoicing and mourning.Originally known as Buckingham House, the building at the core of today's palace was a large townhouse built for the Duke of Buckingham in 1703 on a site that had been in private ownership for at least 150 years. It was acquired by King George III in 1761 as a private residence for Queen Charlotte and became known as "The Queen's House". During the 19th century it was enlarged, principally by architects John Nash and Edward Blore, who constructed three wings around a central courtyard. Buckingham Palace became the London residence of the British monarch on the accession of Queen Victoria in 1837.The last major structural additions were made in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, including the East front, which contains the well-known balcony on which the royal family traditionally congregates to greet crowds. The palace chapel was destroyed by a German bomb during World War II; the Queen's Gallery was built on the site and opened to the public in 1962 to exhibit works of art from the Royal Collection.

Christopher Crescent
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
Spur Road
London, SW1A 1AA

Queens Guard Buckingham Palace
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
Buckingham Palace
London, SW1A 1

+44 20 7766 7300

Victoria Memorial, London
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
The Mall
London, SW1A 1

The Victoria Memorial is a monument to Queen Victoria, located at the end of The Mall in London, and designed and executed by the sculptor Sir Thomas Brock. Designed in 1901, it was unveiled on 16 May 1911, though it was not completed until 1924. It was the centrepiece of an ambitious urban planning scheme, which included the creation of the Queen’s Gardens to a design by Sir Aston Webb, and the refacing of Buckingham Palace (which stands behind the memorial) by the same architect.Like the earlier Albert Memorial in Kensington Gardens, commemorating Victoria's consort, the Victoria Memorial has an elaborate scheme of iconographic sculpture. The central pylon of the memorial is of Pentelic marble, and individual statues are in Carrara marble and gilt bronze. The memorial weighs 2,300 tonnes and is 104 ft wide. In 1970 it was listed at Grade I.HistoryProposal and announcementsKing Edward VII suggested that a joint Parliamentary committee should be formed to develop plans for a Memorial to Queen Victoria following her death. The first meeting took place on 19 February 1901 at the Foreign Office, Whitehall. The first secretary of the committee was Arthur Bigge, 1st Baron Stamfordham. Initially these meetings were behind closed doors, and the proceedings were not revealed to the public. However the Lord Mayor of London, Sir Joseph Dimsdale, publicly announced that the committee had decided that the Memorial should be "monumental".

Local Business Near BBC Radio Theatre

The Phoenix, Victoria
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
14 Palace Street
London, United Kingdom SW1E 5JA

020 7828 8136

The Phoenix is a lively site, offering great food, hearty ales and delicious wines in a very convenient, central London location. The Phoenix is a real home from home and the cosy garden is a great spot to chill out. The first floor also boasts a fantastic private room;The Yalumba Room which is a flexible events space, with its own bar, quirky decor and big windows. Being just a short stroll from Victoria bus and train stations, and round the corner from Buckingham Palace, The Phoenix is an ideal central meeting point for colleagues and friends travelling from far and wide.

St Ermins Hotel Autograph Collections By Marriott
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
2 Caxton Street
London, United Kingdom SW1H 0QW

020 7222 7888

Knightsbridge Medical Center
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
71-75 Pavilion Rd
London, United Kingdom SW1X 0

20-82372600

Tiffany & Co.
Distance: 1.6 mi Tourist Information
87-135 Brompton Road, Harrods
London, United Kingdom SW1X 7XL

020 7730 1234

Since 1837, Tiffany & Co. has been the world's premier jeweler. Explore our collections of iconic engagement rings, cherished gifts and visionary jewelry designs, all crafted from the finest materials and most spectacular gemstones. Shop for engagement rings, watches, and timeless gifts in Knightsbridge, London.

Grace Belgravia Health Wellbeing Lifestyle Club
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
11c West Halkin Street
London, United Kingdom SW1X 8JL

020 7235 8900

As soon as you walk into the club, you have a sense of the unique power of Grace. Creating the blueprint for true health, the Club is led by a team of internationally recognised medical experts and therapists who can advise for every stage of your life. As such, preventative medicine and ageing well informs every aspect of Grace, from the integrated wellbeing and medical clinic to the spa retreat, gym and restaurant. There is also a dynamic events and networking calendar with a focus on arts, fashion, culture, current affairs, health and wellbeing.

Carrara At St James Theatre
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
12 Palace Street
London, United Kingdom SW1E 5JA

020 7592 0348

St James Theatre, Victoria, London
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
12 Palace Street
London, United Kingdom SW1E 5JA

Stardust Road
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
12 Palace Street
London, United Kingdom SW1E 5JA

Music by Hoagy Carmichael Direction by Susan H. Schulman Choreography by Michael Lichtefeld Music Direction by Larry Yurman Using the music of Hoagy Carmichael with dance, seven actors tell the story of four decades in America: the early years of Ragtime, Jazz and Blues, the romance of New York in the 1930s, the tumultuous and uncertain years of World War II, and the post-war Golden Age of Hollywood. Playing the St. James Theatre, London. Previews: October 27-29th Opening: October 30th Closing: November 21st For ticket information and more: https://www.stjamestheatre.co.uk

Georgian Restaurant, Harrods
Distance: 1.6 mi Tourist Information
Harrods
London, United Kingdom SW3 1

020 3551 2763

Bulgari
Distance: 1.6 mi Tourist Information
87-135 Brompton Road
London, United Kingdom SW1X 0NA

+44 (0) 20 7225 6611

London Apprenticeship Company
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
114-116 Rochester Row
London, United Kingdom SW1P 1JQ

Mosimann's Belfry Private Dining Club
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
11B West Halkin Street
London, United Kingdom SW1X 8JL

020 8870 8717

Zafferano
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
15-17 Lowndes Street
London, United Kingdom SW1X 9EY

+44 (0) 20 7235 5800

Mossiman's
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
11B West Halkin Street
London, United Kingdom SW1X 8JE

Starbucks - Victoria-Palmer Street
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
16-18 Palmer Street
London, United Kingdom SW1H 0AD

02072333475

Portsmouth Harbour
Distance: 1.6 mi Tourist Information
guwharf quays
Portsmouth, United Kingdom PO1 3

Harrods Christmas Grotto
Distance: 1.6 mi Tourist Information
87 - 135 Brompton Road, Knightsbridge
London, United Kingdom SW3 1RT

Embassy of Ecuador, London
Distance: 1.6 mi Tourist Information
Flat 3b, 3 Hans Crescent, London SW1X 0LS
London, United Kingdom SW1X 0

20-75842648

The embassy of Ecuador in London is the diplomatic mission of Ecuador in the United Kingdom. It is headed by the ambassador of Ecuador to the United Kingdom. It is located in the Knightsbridge district in a building it shares with the Embassy of Colombia, near Harrods, Hyde Park, and Hans Place, precisely at 3 Hans Crescent at the intersection of Basil Street, and it is served by the Knightsbridge station.The Ecuadorian embassy is the temporary home of the Australian editor, activist, publisher and journalist Julian Assange, who initially entered it on 19 June 2012 claiming diplomatic asylum, which was granted by the Ecuadorian government on 16 August 2012.The embassy is charged with representing the interests of the president and government of Ecuador, improving diplomatic relations between Ecuador and the accredited countries, promoting and improving the image and standing of Ecuador in the accredited nations, promoting the culture of Ecuador, encouraging and facilitating tourism to and from Ecuador, and ensuring the safety of Ecuadorians abroad.

Zafferano
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
15 Lowndes Street
London, United Kingdom SW1X 9

Tel 020 7235 5800

Zafferano is a restaurant located in London, and was originally run by Giorgio Locatelli on behalf of A-Z Restaurants until 2005. The restaurant was awarded one michelin star in 1999, which it held until this star was stripped from it 2012.HistoryZafferano was opened by chef Giorgio Locatelli in February 1995 in Knightsbridge, London. The restaurant's name comes from the Italian for saffron. The location had previously been a fish restaurant, but under Locatelli the new restaurant served Italian food. The major investor in the restaurant was Claudio Pulze, who owned the restaurant through his company A-Z Restaurants. Locatelli's pay was based on percentage of the overall performance of the restaurant. Chef Angela Hartnett worked at the restaurant as she rotated around the A-Z Restaurants range of establishments.The restaurant was awarded a Michelin star in the list published in 1999. While as chef-proprietor of Zafferanno, Locatelli was named the Outstanding London Chef of 2001 at the London Restaurant Awards, but shortly afterwards left the restaurant following disagreements with new head of A-Z Restaurants, Giuliano Lotto. Andrew Needham took over as head chef, having previously been sous chef to Locatelli.After A-Z Restaurants went into administrations in November 2004, Locatelli stated publicly that he was interested in purchasing Zafferano. The group, including Zafferano, was sold back to Claudio Pulze with new partner John De Stefano. In 2007, Pulze sold his share of the company to De Stefano. The restaurant expanded during the same year, and opened a delicatessen.

Tom Dixon Sandwich Co.
Distance: 1.6 mi Tourist Information
Harrods
London, United Kingdom SW1X 0