EuroZoid
Discover The Most Popular Places In Europe

Fishmongers Hall, London | Tourist Information


Fishmongers' Hall, London Bridge
London, United Kingdom EC4R 9EL

0207 626 3531

Event Venue Near Fishmongers Hall

Schools Plus - Harris Academy Bermondsey
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
55 Southwark Park Road
London, SE16 3TZ

07889352972

School's Out. We're In. Schools Plus have teamed up with the fantastic Harris Academy Bermondsey to provide fantastic venue hire, for you! Open weekday evenings and all weekend. Want to throw a party but have no where to fit all your friends? We've got the space! Want to play some sports, or bring your sporting organisation? We've got the space! Want to have a regular church service? We've tot the space! Any event, we will do our best to accommodate you at a reasonable price.

Ministery Of Sound - Discoteche Of London
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
103 Gaunt Street
London, SE1 6DP

The Bottle Shop
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
128 Druid Street
London, SE1 2HH

020 3490 9252

The Bottle Shop offers one of London's greatest beer selections at the best London prices. We import beer from all over the world and wholesale it to Pubs and Bottle Shops in the UK. Our retail location is based in Bermondsey, 128 Druid Street SE1 2HH, and we are open to the public on Fridays 5:00pm-9:30pm & Saturdays from 10:00am-7:00pm. We are sometimes open on Thursday's for special events, Tap Take Overs, Meet The Brewers or Tastings. Check out our Events Pages for more info. Our space is now available to hire for private parties and events. We have 12 taps available, 6 downstairs and 6 up in our mezzanine. For more information about our retail location please email [email protected] and for information about wholesale please email [email protected]

Ugly Duck
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
47-49 Tanner Street
London, SE1 3PL

07826854146

Ruse Bar London
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
280 Borough High Street
London, SE1 1JS

020 7378 6123

A stylish, warm area, perfect for a long dinner with friends or a working lunch. The Bar has everything from large dinner tables, to luxurious leather chairs for having a quiet cocktail after work. It can also be booked as private function room for professional events, parties or business lunches. The bar also offers an excellent environment for watching Sport. Ruse has all the top matches and games. We are South East London's Liverpool supporters bar and you can enjoy football in a more sophisticated setting. We have 3 plasma screens and 2 Sky boxes.

Comedy Bin at The Old School Yard
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
111 Long Lane, Borough
London, SE1 4PH

“MC Brian Chimombo host an exciting and friendly comedy night in the atmospheric basement of The Old School Yard – new acts mix it up with special guests and a headline each week. Fun, friendly and free.” for spots: www.comedybin.org/available_spots.htm email: [email protected]

Diane Anderson
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
200 Borough High Street
London, SE1 1JX

020 7378 0415

Dram & Smoke
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
All Ayer The Gaff
London,

Tanner & Co
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
50 Bermondsey Street
London, SE1 3UD

02073570244

Tanner Warehouse
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
50 Bermondsey Street
London, SE1 3UD

02073570244

Moonraker Studios
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
1 Pocock Street
London, SE1 0FN

07951510540

College of Occupational Therapists
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
106-114 Borough High Street
London, SE1 1LB

020 7357 6480

Please note that we do not allow advertising on our social media channels. If you would like to advertise a job or event to our members, please contact [email protected] COT members are welcome to use this page to recruit participants for research, but please read our research recruitment guidelines first as we will have to remove any post that does not meet these requirements: http://bit.ly/JwrIjY Use of the BAOT/COT logo is not permitted without permission from COT. Use of our logo implies that you are representing BAOT/COT in an official capacity or that your event/organisation/etc is endorsed by COT.

Thames Luxury Charters
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Eagle Wharf, 53 Lafone Street
London, SE1 2LX

020 73577751

We have enormous affection for the River Thames. Carving its way through the very heart of our great capital city, the Thames is London's most famous asset. There is simply no better way to view London's beautiful sights than from your own private river boat. If you are lucky enough to have experienced this feeling - gliding past some of London's most famous landmarks illuminated in all their glory, glass of champagne in hand, gentle breeze on your face - then you will fully appreciate our level of affection! At Thames Luxury Charters we want to share our love of the iconic River Thames.

Shangri-La Hotel, At The Shard, London
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
The Shard, 31 St Thomas Street
London, SE1 9QU

+44 20 7234 8000

Unicorn Theatre
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
147 Tooley Street
London, SE1 2HZ

The Unicorn Theatre is the UK's leading theatre for audiences aged 2–21. The theatre has its home in a custom-built, RIBA Award–winning building on Tooley Street, in the London Borough of Southwark, which opened in 2005. The theatre was designed by Keith Williams, built by Arup and comprises two theatre spaces (the Weston and Clore Theatres), an education studio, rehearsal space, café and the John Lyon meeting room.The theatre was founded in 1947, by Caryl Jenner, originally as a Mobile Theatre; In 1961, Jenner began presenting children's productions at the Arts Theatre in the West End, and in 1967 the company took over the lease of the theatre which then became Unicorn's permanent performing base until 1999; during this period the normal run of adult performances continued during the evenings.The Unicorn is a registered charity and is an Arts Council England National Portfolio organisation.OriginsFrom 1944 Caryl Jenner wrote Christmas pantomimes for small-time playhouses. During performances she would make note of the behaviour of the children, recording what scenes and sequences held their attention, and which did not. She began to formulate the principles that would guide her theatre and writing. In 1947 the ‘Mobile Theatre’ was born. Caryl's mission was to drive around the austere post-war towns of Britain, as well as isolated villages to bring theatre to new audiences. They supplemented their income by performing to adults in the evenings but their goal was always to captivate the minds and imagination of children.

Overseas Development Institute (ODI)
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
203 Blackfriars Road
London, SE1 8NN

+44 (0)20 7922 0300

City Hall, London
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
110 The Queens Walk, LONDON, SE1 2AA
London, SE1 2

20-79834100

City Hall is the headquarters of the Greater London Authority (GLA), which comprises the Mayor of London and the London Assembly. It is located in Southwark, on the south bank of the River Thames near Tower Bridge. It was designed by Norman Foster and opened in July 2002, two years after the Greater London Authority was created.BackgroundFor the first two years of its existence, the Greater London Authority was based at Romney House, Marsham Street in Westminster. Meetings of the London Assembly took place at Emmanuel Centre, also on Marsham Street.City Hall was constructed at a cost of £43 million on a site formerly occupied by wharves serving the Pool of London. The building does not belong to the GLA but is leased under a 25-year rent. Despite its name, City Hall is not in and does not serve a city (as recognised by English constitutional law), which often adds to the confusion of Greater London with the City of London, which has its headquarters at Guildhall. In June 2011, Mayor Boris Johnson announced that for the duration of the London 2012 Olympic Games, the building would be called London House.

Tower Bridge Walkways
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Tower Bridge, Tower Bridge Road
London, SE1 2UP

Glaziers Hall
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
9 Montague Close
London, SE1 9DD

+44 20 7403 3300

Situated between the River Thames, with unrivalled views over the City, and London’s cultural Southbank and Borough Market, Glaziers Hall is one of London’s most unique venues. The venue offers five flexible event spaces ideal for corporate events, presentations, conferences, receptions and dinners. Accommodating 10 – 600 guests, the rooms can be used in conjunction with each other or booked separately. Centrally located with excellent public transport links, including river taxis, the venue is only minutes’ walk from London Bridge and Waterloo station. Glaziers Hall is easy to reach on the many cycle routes and bicycle parking (including Santandar Cycle docking station) is available close by. If you are looking for one of the most unique London venues to host any event in a central London location, then the historic Glaziers Hall building is the perfect choice. The original Glaziers Hall in Fye Foot Lane was destroyed during the Great Fire of London in 1666 and not relocated for another 300 years. It’s current home, which was built in 1808 as a warehouse, adjoins London Bridge and the so-called ‘Nancy Steps’ made famous by Charles Dickens’ Oliver Twist. Glaziers Hall’s evolving sustainability strategy includes the development of an Environmental Management System in partnership with Smart Green Business and Better Bankside – a move that will see this unique London venue reach Stage three certification.

MALA
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
2 Marble Quay, St Katharine Docks
London, E1W 1UH

+44 (0) 2074806356

Serves traditional & contemporary Indian cuisine from North (Mainly Punjab) & South India, from Curries to Tandoori clay oven baked delights. including a delicious variaty of seafood dishes within our menu. And also a generous array of fine wines from all over the globe to compliment the diverse flavours of our cuisne. With a seating capasity of 200, the ambience of our restaurant is welcoming and relaxing, surrounded with antiques, paintings & murials from historic palaces around India which gives you the atmospheric feeling that you are actually there. And adding to the ambience, the impressive and beautiful view of St Katharine Docks marina can be seen from any where in the restaurant.

Rainmaking Loft
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
International House, 1 St Katharine's Way
London, E1W 1UN

Rainmaking Loft is a coworking space for tech startups, located in the vibrant, historic St Katharine Docks marina, next to Tower Bridge and The Tower of London. A stone’s throw away from Shoreditch and the City, we are proud to be a major player in supporting this dynamic area as the new up and coming ‘Tech Hub’. Rainmaking Loft’s members are Heroes at work. Our mission is to give them the best possible environment in which to grow their company. Whether that is connecting them to an experienced fellow member, helping them to find a suitable investor or offering access to our extensive network of experts. The London Loft is part of a family that also consists of Lofts in Copenhagen and Berlin, which members are welcome to make use of. In addition to co-working spaces, Rainmaking founded Startupbootcamp, an international accelerator program and Rainmaking Innovation, a global innovation consultancy in addition to an extensive portfolio of successful startups. Our space overlooks the Docks, which brings tranquillity into a bustling environment, boosting creativity. Creation is at the heart of our community, Rainmaking Loft encourages collaborations between members through quick sit-downs in the Club, whiteboard meetings, community events (e.g. Wednesday Yoga and Friday Beers) and more purpose built meetups (e.g. The Loft Lunch and The Inspiration Hour). We pride ourselves on our diversity at the Loft, counting more than 35 different nationalities. We are a close-knit community where startups can exchange and evolve together. Rainmaking Loft is not only home to more than 200 bright entrepreneurs. Our amazing location on St Katharine Docks is a unique setting suitable for a range of events. From workshops and conferences to panel debates, to drinks receptions and hackathons. Everything we host is marked by the energy of the startups around us. Our 1,400 sqft event space offers views of iconic London landmarks. Our unique and flexible space includes furniture for all types of events, high quality projector and screen and first class sound system. It accommodates a maximum of 150 people, but the space can be divided into intimate sections.

Tate Film
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Bankside
London, SE1 9TG

0207 887 8888

Old Billingsgate Hall
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
1 Old Billingsgate Wal
London, EC3R 6DX

020 7283 2800

Old billinsgate London
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
1 Old Billinsgate Walk, 16 Lower Thames Street
London, EC3R 6 DX

Havengore
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
St Katharine Docks, 50 St Katharine's Way, London
London, E1W 1LA

0207 183 0110

The Steelyard
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
13-16 Allhallows Lane
London, EC4R 3UL

02072831505

Landmark Near Fishmongers Hall

Heritage Tours
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
15 Alma Grove
London, United Kingdom EA1

01843234 345

Strata SE1
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
8 Walworth Road
London, United Kingdom SE1 6E

020 7708 0544

Strata SE1, nicknamed "Razor" or "Electric Razor", is a 148m, 43-storey building at Elephant and Castle in the London Borough of Southwark in London. Designed by BFLS (formerly Hamiltons), it is one of the tallest residential buildings in London and more than 1,000 residents live in its 408 flats.The buildingStrata SE1 is located on the site of Castle House, an early 1960s six-storey office building, which was the first commercial premises at the newly rebuilt Elephant and Castle. When completed, Castle House was warmly received. The Architects’ Journal in August 1962 found "little to criticise and much to praise and until New Zealand House is completed it is possibly one of the best examples for anyone wanting to look at a good office block in London."25% of the building's flats have been sold by Family Mosaic Housing Association for shared-ownership sale. These consist of the "Esprit Apartments" — located on floors 2–10 of the tower — and a further nine flats in the adjacent "Pavilion", a three-storey structure located to the west of the tower and earmarked for former residents of the nearby Heygate Estate.Each floor of the affordable area comprises 10 flats (equally divided between one and two-bedroom flats), while each floor above the 10th floor contains 11 flats in a mixture of studios, one-bedroom flats, two-bedroom flats, and three-bedroom flats to a total of 310 units.Only the open-market flats have access to car-parking (in the basement of the building). The 39th floor features a "Sky Lobby" (a small corridor with a view over central London), while the living area is topped by a £2.5m three-bedroom duplex penthouse. The ground floor comprises two commercial units. A third one is located in the Pavilion, along with a "kiosk". All three remain unoccupied.

Ark Globe Academy
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
Harper Road
London, United Kingdom SE1 6AG

020 7407 6877

Ark Globe Academy is a mixed all-through school located in Southwark, London, England.The school caters for children from nursery age through to sixth form. It is part of the Ark school network, operated by the charitable organisation Ark. The academy moved to a new purpose built combined building in 2010.Globe Academy was created as an academy in 2008 from a merger of Geoffrey Chaucer Technology College and Joseph Lancaster Primary School.

Metro Central Heights
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
119 Newington Causeway
London, United Kingdom SE1 6

Metro Central Heights is a group of residential buildings in the London Borough of Southwark. It was originally known as Alexander Fleming House, a multi-storey office complex designed by Hungarian-born modernist architect Ernő Goldfinger and constructed in the early 1960s for Arnold Lee of Imry Properties. The design was favoured both by the property developer Imry and by the London County Council as it promised the largest amount of lettable space and therefore the best financial return for the site. Some 55 m tall at its highest point, the original scheme consisted of three freestanding blocks, two of seven storeys and one of eighteen, grouped around a central piazza.It is located on Newington Causeway on the east side of the busy Elephant and Castle junction in inner south-east London.Ernő Goldfinger proposed three main components of modern architecture, 'the permanent structure; the much less permanent services and an even more fleeting component, the human requirements.' These applied directly to the development where its eventual use was not known at the time of construction. Therefore, the internal design of the building was made as flexible as possible, providing open decks which could be readily subdivided and services re-routed.The building's original tenant was the Department of Health and Social Security, known as the Ministry of Health at the time, which probably led to its being named Alexander Fleming House, after the discoverer of penicillin. The development became its headquarters, and shortly afterwards Ernő Goldfinger was commissioned to design two additional blocks, D and E.

Notre Dame High School, Southwark
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
118 St George's Road
London, United Kingdom SEl 6EX

+44 20 7261 1121

Notre Dame High School is an all-girls' Roman Catholic comprehensive school (having been a grammar school until 1977) situated in Elephant and Castle, in south London in the UK. Girls attend the school from ages 11–16 (11-18 until the 1980s). The current headteacher is Sister Anne Marie Niblock, SND. Previous Headteachers include Sister Myra Poole, SND and Sister Rosemary O'Callaghan, SND. Sister Rosemary O' Callaghan is now acting as the school chaplain. The school was founded by the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur. The school was established in 1855 and celebrated its 150th anniversary in the London Borough of Southwark.The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur base their spirituality on the teachings of their Mother Foundress, Saint Julie Billiart. The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur run other schools throughout the United Kingdom. They have two schools in Liverpool (having also previously had two in London - the other being in Battersea) as well as one in Surrey, Glasgow, Plymouth, Norwich, Leeds and Sheffield.It is noteworthy that the school was OFSTEDed in Autumn 2012. It received an Outstanding report. It is the only school in inner city London to have received consecutive Outstanding gradings from OFSTED.

St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
193 Bermondsey St
London, United Kingdom SE1 3

020 7234 0100

St Mary Magdalen Bermondsey is an Anglican church dedicated to St Mary Magdalen in Bermondsey in the London Borough of Southwark. The present building is late 17th century and is a Grade II* listed building.Its parish extends as far as the Thames (including the south tower of Tower Bridge, City Hall and part of London Bridge Station). The parishes of St Olave Tooley Street, St Luke Grange Road and St John Horsleydown have all been merged into it.HistoryA church of this dedication is first recorded on this site in 1290, serving lay workers at Bermondsey Abbey. The design of that building is not known, but in 1680 the church was demolished and rebuilt, retaining the late medieval tower with a gothic window and arches. This re-building was completed in about 1690, and was followed by the addition of a north gallery in 1705 and a south gallery in 1794. The south gallery retains the complete original boxed pews but those in the north gallery have had the gates removed.Further alterations were made under the supervision of the architect George Porter in 1830. He remodelled the tower and west end in an unacademic Gothic style and restored the medieval west window. The changes also involved removing the portico and school which extended into Bermondsey Street. The interior was redecorated in the Gothic Revival style in 1852 and is described in a document which can be dated to 1865 - 1879 by reference to the then rector. In 1883 the chancel was lengthened and a new stained glass window was installed, as well as other "beautification". Surviving the Blitz, the west end interior was damaged by fire in 1971. The church was first rendered externally in 1829, and was most recently re-rendered in 1994. A detailed description given in the volume of the Victoria County History covering the area, published in 1912. The church is now the oldest building in the locality, and the medieval arches are still visible inside the tower behind the organ (not normally accessible to the public).

Unicorn Theatre
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
147 Tooley Street
London, United Kingdom SE1 2HZ

The Unicorn Theatre is the UK's leading theatre for audiences aged 2–21. The theatre has its home in a custom-built, RIBA Award–winning building on Tooley Street, in the London Borough of Southwark, which opened in 2005. The theatre was designed by Keith Williams, built by Arup and comprises two theatre spaces (the Weston and Clore Theatres), an education studio, rehearsal space, café and the John Lyon meeting room.The theatre was founded in 1947, by Caryl Jenner, originally as a Mobile Theatre; In 1961, Jenner began presenting children's productions at the Arts Theatre in the West End, and in 1967 the company took over the lease of the theatre which then became Unicorn's permanent performing base until 1999; during this period the normal run of adult performances continued during the evenings.The Unicorn is a registered charity and is an Arts Council England National Portfolio organisation.OriginsFrom 1944 Caryl Jenner wrote Christmas pantomimes for small-time playhouses. During performances she would make note of the behaviour of the children, recording what scenes and sequences held their attention, and which did not. She began to formulate the principles that would guide her theatre and writing. In 1947 the ‘Mobile Theatre’ was born. Caryl's mission was to drive around the austere post-war towns of Britain, as well as isolated villages to bring theatre to new audiences. They supplemented their income by performing to adults in the evenings but their goal was always to captivate the minds and imagination of children.

Hop Exchange
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
24 Southwark Street
London, United Kingdom SE1 1

The Hop Exchange is a Grade II listed building at No. 24 Southwark Street, London, in the Bankside area of the London Borough of Southwark. Opened in 1867 and designed by R.H. Moore it served as the centre for hop trading for the brewing industry.OverviewHops, introduced to England from the Netherlands, are still used in the brewing industry. They are harvested from farms (known as "hop gardens") in Kent, and in the 19th century they were brought by railway to London Bridge Station, or by boat up the River Thames. They were then stored in the many warehouses in the Borough area.The purpose of the Hop Exchange was to provide a single market centre for dealers in hops. A glass roof allowed business on the trading floor of the Great Hall to be conducted under natural light. There were many similar outcry floor exchanges across London, such as the Coal, Metal and Stock exchanges, but wartime bombing, fires, redevelopment and modernisation have left the Hop Exchange the only one still standing. However, a fire in 1920 led to the top two storeys being removed, and the Hop Exchange was then converted into offices.

Cora Brazier
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Borough High Street London, SE1 1JX UK
London, United Kingdom SE1 1JX

02073780411

Southwark Cathedral
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
London Bridge
London, United Kingdom SE1 9DA

+44 20 7367 6700

Southwark Cathedral or The Cathedral and Collegiate Church of St Saviour and St Mary Overie, Southwark, London, lies on the south bank of the River Thames close to London Bridge. It is the mother church of the Anglican Diocese of Southwark. It has been a place of Christian worship for more than 1,000 years, but a cathedral only since the creation of the diocese of Southwark in 1905.Between 1106 and 1538 it was the church of an Augustinian priory, Southwark Priory, dedicated to the Virgin Mary. Following the dissolution of the monasteries, it became a parish church, with the new dedication of St Saviour's. The church was in the diocese of Winchester until 1877, when the parish of St Saviour's, along with other South London parishes, was transferred to the diocese of Rochester. The present building retains the basic form of the Gothic structure built between 1220 and 1420, although the nave is a late 19th-century reconstruction.HistoryLegendary originsThe 16th-century London historian John Stow recorded an account of the origins of the Southwark Priory of St Mary that he had heard from Bartholomew Linsted, who had been the last prior when the priory was dissolved. Linsted claimed it had been founded as a nunnery "long before the Conquest" by a maiden named Mary, on the profits of a ferry across the Thames she had inherited from her parents. Later it was converted into a college of priests by "Swithen, a noble lady". Finally in 1106 it was refounded as an Augustinian priory.

Anglican Diocese of Southwark
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Trinity House, 4 Chapel Court, Borough High Street
London, United Kingdom SE1 1HW

020 7939 9400

The Diocese of Southwark is one of the 42 dioceses of the Church of England, part of the worldwide Anglican Communion. The diocese forms part of the Province of Canterbury in England. It was created on 1 May 1905 from part of the ancient Diocese of Rochester that was served by a Suffragan Bishop of Southwark (1891–1905). Before 1877 the area was part of the Diocese of Winchester.The diocese covers Greater London south of the River Thames (except for the London Borough of Bexley and London Borough of Bromley) and east Surrey. Since the creation of the episcopal area scheme in 1991, the diocese is divided into three episcopal areas each of which contains two archdeaconries: Croydon Episcopal Area (overseen by the area Bishop of Croydon)Archdeaconry of Croydonincludes Deaneries of Croydon Addington, Croydon Central, Croydon North, Croydon South, and Suttonincludes Deaneries of Caterham, Godstone, and ReigateArchdeaconry of Lambethincludes Deaneries of Brixton, Clapham, Lambeth North, Lambeth South, Streatham, and Mertonincludes Deaneries of Battersea, Kingston, Richmond and Barnes, Tooting, and WandsworthArchdeaconry of Lewisham & Greenwichincludes Deaneries of Charlton, Deptford, East Lewisham, Eltham and Mottingham, Plumstead, and West Lewishamincludes Deaneries of Bermondsey, Camberwell, Dulwich, and Southwark and Newington In other ecclesiastical use, although having lost religious orders in the English Reformation, the diocese has the London home of the Archbishop of Canterbury and records centre of the Church of England in the diocese, Lambeth Palace.

HMS Belfast
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Morgan's Lane
London, United Kingdom SE1 2JH

HMS Belfast is a museum ship, originally a Royal Navy light cruiser, permanently moored in London on the River Thames and operated by the Imperial War Museum.Construction of Belfast, the first Royal Navy ship to be named after the capital city of Northern Ireland, and one of ten Town-class cruisers, began in December 1936. She was launched on St Patrick's Day, 17 March 1938. Commissioned in early August 1939 shortly before the outbreak of the Second World War, Belfast was initially part of the British naval blockade against Germany. In November 1939 Belfast struck a German mine and spent more than two years undergoing extensive repairs. Belfast returned to action in November 1942 with improved firepower, radar equipment and armour. Belfast saw action escorting Arctic convoys to the Soviet Union during 1943, and in December 1943 played an important role in the Battle of North Cape, assisting in the destruction of the German warship. In June 1944 Belfast took part in Operation Overlord supporting the Normandy landings. In June 1945 Belfast was redeployed to the Far East to join the British Pacific Fleet, arriving shortly before the end of the Second World War. Belfast saw further combat action in 1950–52 during the Korean War and underwent an extensive modernisation between 1956 and 1959. A number of further overseas commissions followed before Belfast entered reserve in 1963.

Globe Theatre
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
21 New Globe Walk, Bankside, London
London, United Kingdom SE1 9

020 7407 0043

The Globe Theatre was a theatre in London associated with William Shakespeare. It was built in 1599 by Shakespeare's playing company, the Lord Chamberlain's Men, on land owned by Thomas Brend and inherited by his son, Nicholas Brend and grandson Sir Matthew Brend, and was destroyed by fire on 29 June 1613. A second Globe Theatre was built on the same site by June 1614 and closed by an Ordinance issued on 6 September 1642.A modern reconstruction of the Globe, named "Shakespeare's Globe", opened in 1997 approximately 230m from the site of the original theatre. From 1909, the current Gielgud Theatre was called "Globe Theatre", until it was renamed (in honour of John Gielgud) in 1994.LocationsExamination of old property records has identified the plot of land occupied by the Globe as extending from the west side of modern-day Southwark Bridge Road eastwards as far as Porter Street and from Park Street southwards as far as the back of Gatehouse Square. However, the precise location of the building remained unknown until a small part of the foundations, including one original pier base, was discovered in 1989 beneath the car park at the rear of Anchor Terrace on Park Street. The shape of the foundations is now replicated on the surface. As the majority of the foundations lies beneath 67—70 Anchor Terrace, a listed building, no further excavations have been permitted.

Sampson House
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
64 Hopton St
London, United Kingdom SE1 9JH

Sampson House is a commercial office building in Hopton Street, Southwark, London, United Kingdom. It is sited just west of the Tate Modern art gallery, by the railway lines running onto Blackfriars Bridge and fills a block between the Thames and Southwark Street.Sampson House is a rare example of a Brutalist commercial office building, with powerful massing, extensive use of exposed concrete with minimal glazing at street level and strong horizontal mirror glazing in austere dark metal cladding in the projecting upper levels. It was built in 1976-9 as a processing centre for Lloyds Bank and was designed by Fitzroy Robinson & Partners (now Aukett Fitzroy Robinson) which was also architect for the construction (and refurbishment in 2004-6) of 50 Queen Anne's Gate in Westminster.Minerva plc announced in August 2005 that, in a linked transaction, it had completed the sale of Sampson House for £150.5 million and Ludgate House for £78.5 million to a private investor. The announcement also stated that "Sampson House comprises 386,288sq.ft. of office space let to IBM UK Limited. The lease expires in December 2025 but, includes a mutual break clause in June 2018. The current rent is £8 million p.a. and will rise to £9.5 million p.a. in December this year". IBM utilises the building's extensive and deep basement levels to host data centres for the company's London based customers, with recovery facilities utilising the above-ground office space.

Sam Wanamaker Playhouse
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
21 new globe walk
London, United Kingdom SE1 9DT

020 7401 9919

The Sam Wanamaker Playhouse is an indoor theatre forming part of Shakespeare's Globe, along with the Globe Theatre on Bankside, London. Built making use of 17th-century plans for an indoor theatre, the playhouse recalls the layout and style of the Blackfriars Theatre, although it is not an exact reconstruction. Its shell was built during the construction of the Shakespeare's Globe complex, notable for the reconstruction of the open-air Globe Theatre of the same period. The shell was used as a space for education workshops and rehearsals until enough money was raised to complete the playhouse. It opened in January 2014, named after Sam Wanamaker, the leading figure in the Globe's reconstruction.HistoryThe shell was intended to house a "simulacrum" of the sixteenth-century Blackfriars Theatre from the opposite side of the Thames, adapted as a playhouse in 1596 during Elizabeth's reign. The Lord Chamberlain's Men, Shakespeare's playing company, began to use it in 1608, five years into the Jacobean era.As no reliable plans of the Blackfriars Theatre are known, the plan for the new theatre was based on drawings found in the 1960s at Worcester College, Oxford, at first thought to date from the early 17th century, and to be the work of Inigo Jones. The shell was built to accommodate a theatre as specified by the drawings, and the planned name was the Inigo Jones Theatre. In 2005, the drawings were dated to 1660 and attributed to John Webb. They nevertheless represent the earliest known plan for an English theatre, and are thought to approximate the layout of the Blackfriars Theatre. Some features believed to be typical of earlier in the 17th century were added to the new theatre's design.

Crown Jewels of the United Kingdom
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Tower of London
London, United Kingdom EC3N 4AB

0870 756 6060

The Crown Jewels of the United Kingdom are 141 historic ceremonial objects, including the regalia and vestments worn by kings and queens of the country at their coronations, as well as processional and anointing objects, plate, and christening fonts.A symbol of 1,000 years of monarchy, the sovereign's coronation regalia is the only working collection in Europe – other present-day monarchies have abandoned coronations in favour of inauguration or enthronement ceremonies – and is the largest set of regalia in the world. Objects used to invest and crown the monarch variously denote his or her roles as Head of State, Supreme Governor of the Church of England, and Commander-in-Chief of the British Armed Forces. Wives of kings are crowned as queen consort with a plainer set of regalia. Since 1831, a new crown has been made specially for each queen consort.The use of regalia by monarchs in Britain can be traced back to its early history. Most of the present collection as a whole dates from around 350 years ago when King Charles II acceded to the throne. The medieval coronation regalia and Tudor state regalia had been either sold or melted down by Oliver Cromwell, a republican who overthrew the monarchy in 1649, during the English Civil War. Notable among the precious stones which adorn the regalia are Cullinan I (the largest clear cut diamond in the world), Cullinan II (second-largest of the Cullinan diamonds), the Koh-i-Noor diamond with a history going back to the 13th century, the Stuart Sapphire, St Edward's Sapphire, and the Black Prince's Ruby – a large spinel worn by King Henry V at the Battle of Agincourt.

Sea Containers
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
20-22 Upper Ground
London, United Kingdom

Archlane Ltd, the owner of Sea Containers House, recently received permission to refurbish the building and create a new office building on the site of the new car park. The changes will lead to a new Hotel within the building, as well as restaurants and a cafe along the River Walkway. You can see more information at our website, www.SeaContainersHouse.com

Sea Containers House
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
20 Upper Ground
London, United Kingdom SE1 9

Sea Containers House is a prominent building on the south bank of the River Thames in London.LocationSea Containers House is located towards the eastern end of London's South Bank cultural area, and is within the London Borough of Southwark. A continuous river-side walkway, actually part of the Thames Path, passes in front of and below the building, and links it with near river-side attractions such as the Festival Hall, the National Theatre, the Tate Modern, the Oxo Tower and the Globe Theatre.HistorySea Containers House was originally conceived as a luxury hotel. Its location near to the City of London led to the decision to complete it instead as office space. Its name comes from the former long-term tenant, Sea Containers.In Spring 2011, a process began to gain planning permission for an extensive internal and external refurbishment of Sea Containers House. The east and west wings, which face the Thames, remained offices, with global advertising and marketing agency Ogilvy & Mather moving in August 2015. While the south wing was renovated as the Mondrian Hotel London, bringing at least part of the building back to its original intended use.Cultural influenceIn October 2009, three-piece music band Gyratory System released the album The Sound-Board Breathes with a track named Sea Containers House.

Pudding Lane
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Pudding lane
London, United Kingdom

Pudding Lane es una calle de la City de Londres, donde exactamente se originó el Gran incendio de Londres del domingo 2 de septiembre hasta el martes 4 de septiembre de 1666. La calle está ubicada a la salida Eastcheap, cerca de Puente de Londres y el Monumento al Gran Incendio de Londres.Según el cronista John Stow, esta calle es llamada así por los "puddings" (una palabra medieval de vísceras y órganos ) que caían de los carros que bajaban por la calle de los carniceros en Eastcheap mientras se dirigían a las barcazas de residuos en el río Támesis. Una placa en la pared de un edificio llamado Faryners House, en Pudding Lane, registra el sitio del inicio del incendio. Esta placa fue presentada por el Gremio de Panaderos de Londres en 1986.El incendio fue producido por el panadero Thomas Farynor,que ya no era muy listo todo ocurrió porque por un pequeño descuido dejó la chimenea encendida durante la noche, y al poco tiempo se encontraron, él y su familia, entre las llamas. Todos ellos pudieron sobrevivir, a excepción de la criada, que no llegó a salir del edificio. Resultó que aquella noche hacia un fuerte viento y reforzó la fuerza y la rapidez del fuego, el otro factor fue que las casas eran de madera. Todo el desastre producido fue redactado y después publicado por Samuel Pepys.

Pudding Lane
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Pudding lane
London, United Kingdom

Pudding Sokağı İngiltere'nin başkenti Londra'da bulunan dar bir geçittir. 1666 yılında çıkan Büyük Londra Yangını'nın başlangıç noktası olan Thomas Farryner'ın ekmek fırını bu sokakta yer almıştır. Londra Köprüsü'ne yakın bir alandadır. Tarihçi John Stow'un söylediklerine göre sokak adını, eski İngilizcede iç organ demek olan Pudding sözcüğünden almıştır. Bu da söylenceye göre Thames Nehri'ndeki çöp kayıklarına kasapların atmış olduğu sakatatı taşıyan at arabalarından düşen hayvan iç organlarıdır.