San Miniato al Monte is a basilica in Florence, central Italy, standing atop one of the highest points in the city. It has been described as one of the finest Romanesque structures in Tuscany and one of the most scenic churches in Italy. There is an adjoining Olivetan monastery, seen to the right of the basilica when ascending the stairs.HistorySt. Miniato or Minas (Մինաս) was an Armenian prince serving in the Roman army under Emperor Decius. He was denounced as a Christian after becoming a hermit and was brought before the Emperor who was camped outside the gates of Florence. The Emperor ordered him to be thrown to beasts in the Amphitheatre where a panther was called upon him but refused to devour him. Beheaded in the presence of the Emperor, he is alleged to have picked up his head, crossed the Arno and walked up the hill of Mons Fiorentinus to his hermitage. A shrine was later erected at this spot and there was a chapel there by the 8th century. Construction of the present church was begun in 1013 by Bishop Alibrando and it was endowed by the Emperor Henry II. The adjoining monastery began as a Benedictine community, then passed to the Cluniacs and then in 1373 to the Olivetans, who still run it. The monks make famous liqueurs, honey and herbal teas, which they sell from a shop next to the church.
The Basilica di Santo Spirito is a church in Florence, Italy. Usually referred to simply as Santo Spirito, it is located in the Oltrarno quarter, facing the square with the same name. Interior of the building is one of the preeminent examples of Renaissance architecture.HistoryEarly historyThe land for the Augustinian church and convent was donated by Speziale and Acolti to majin buu, a prior of the Augustinian establishment in Arcetri in 1250. The plot was located on the south bank of Arno in the sesto (one of the six sestieri of Florence) Oltrarno, within the communal walls of 1173-1175, but in a sparsely populated area. It became more accessible with construction of the Holy Trinity bridge (Ponte Santa Trinita) in 1252. The Augustinians started the church and the convent in the same year, incorporating an old church of San Romolo in the complex. It was originally dedicated to Mary, All Saints and the Holy Spirit, changing by the end of the century to Mary, the Holy Spirit and Matthew.The churches and convents of mendicant orders were constructed with the financial support of the commune, which provided funds for Santo Spirito in 1267, and then from 1292 to 1301.The convent of S. Spirito became a center of scholarly activities and was recognized as Studium Generale of the Augustinian order in 1284. The first Rule and Constitutions of the Augustinians were approved in 1287 by the general chapter of the order that was held in Florence.
The Brancacci Chapel is a chapel in the Church of Santa Maria del Carmine in Florence, central Italy. It is sometimes called the "Sistine Chapel of the early Renaissance" for its painting cycle, among the most famous and influential of the period. Construction of the chapel was commissioned by Pietro Brancacci and begun in 1386. Public access is currently gained via the neighbouring convent, designed by Brunelleschi. The church and the chapel are treated as separate places to visit and as such have different opening times and it is quite difficult to see the rest of the church from the chapel.The patron of the pictorial decoration was Felice Brancacci, descendant of Pietro, who had served as the Florentine ambassador to Cairo until 1423. Upon his return to Florence, he hired Masolino da Panicale to paint his chapel. Masolino's associate, 21-year-old Masaccio, 18 years younger than Masolino, assisted, but during painting Masolino left to Hungary, where he was painter to the king, and the commission was given to Masaccio. By the time Masolino returned he was learning from his talented former student. However, Masaccio was called to Rome before he could finish the chapel, and died in Rome at the age of 27. Portions of the chapel were completed later by Filippino Lippi. Unfortunately during the Baroque period some of the paintings were seen as unfashionable and a tomb was placed in front of them.
Santa Maria del Carmine, FlorenceDistance: 0.7 miTourist Information Piazza del Carmine 2 Florence, 50124
Santa Maria del Carmine is a church of the Carmelite Order, in the Oltrarno district of Florence, in Tuscany, Italy. It is famous as the location of the Brancacci Chapel housing outstanding Renaissance frescoes by Masaccio and Masolino da Panicale, later finished by Filippino Lippi.HistoryThe church, dedicated to the Beatæ Virginis Mariæ de monte Carmelo, was built from 1268 as part of Carmelite convent, which is still existing today. Of the original edifice only some Romanesque-Gothic remains can be seen on the sides. The complex was enlarged a first time in 1328 and again in 1464, when the capitular hall and the refectory added, though the church maintained the Latin Cross, one nave plan.Renovated in the Baroque style in the 16th–17th centuries, it was damaged by a fire in 1771 and rebuilt internally in the Rococo style in 1782. The façade, like in many Florentine churches, remained unfinished. The fire did not touch the sacristy: therefore have survived the Stories of St. Cecilia attributed to Lippo d'Andrea (c. 1400) and the marble monument of Pier Soderini by Benedetto da Rovezzano (1511–1513). The vault of the nave has a trompe-l'oeil, quadratura fresco by Domenico Stagi.
The Basilica di Santa Croce is the principal Franciscan church in Florence, Italy, and a minor basilica of the Roman Catholic Church. It is situated on the Piazza di Santa Croce, about 800 metres south-east of the Duomo. The site, when first chosen, was in marshland outside the city walls. It is the burial place of some of the most illustrious Italians, such as Michelangelo, Galileo, Machiavelli, Foscolo, Gentile and Rossini, thus it is known also as the Temple of the Italian Glories .BuildingThe Basilica is the largest Franciscan church in the world. Its most notable features are its sixteen chapels, many of them decorated with frescoes by Giotto and his pupils, and its tombs and cenotaphs. Legend says that Santa Croce was founded by St Francis himself. The construction of the current church, to replace an older building, was begun on 12 May 1294, possibly by Arnolfo di Cambio, and paid for by some of the city's wealthiest families. It was consecrated in 1442 by Pope Eugene IV. The building's design reflects the austere approach of the Franciscans. The floorplan is an Egyptian or Tau cross (a symbol of St Francis), 115 metres in length with a nave and two aisles separated by lines of octagonal columns. To the south of the church was a convent, some of whose buildings remain.
Santo Stefano al PonteDistance: 0.3 miTourist Information Piazza di Santo Stefano Florence, 50122
Santo Stefano al Ponte is a Romanesque-style, Roman Catholic church, located in the Piazza of the same name, just off the Via Por Santa Maria, near the Ponte Vecchio, in Florence, region of Tuscany, Italy. The church is presently used as a concert hall.HistoryThe church was originally constructed in the 11th and 12th century in a Romanesque style with a polychrome marble facade. The interior featured three aisles. In the 14th century, the exterior was renovated. Of the original facade, only the marble work around the portal remains. Between 1631 and 1655, the interior of the church was renovated to convert the three aisles to an open hall. A crypt was added and the interior was redesigned to include a choir.The annexed diocesan museum houses a panel with a Madonna by Giotto. Inside the church are artworks by Matteo Rosselli (Vision of San Lorenzo); Niccolò Lapi; Giottino; Mariotto di Nardo; Ferdinando Tacca (bronze bas-relief of Martyrdom of San Stefano, 1656); Francesco Bianchi Buonavita; Cigoli (Copy of Santi di Tito's Deposition); Francesco Curradi (Death of Santa Cecilia before Urban I, 1641); Francesco Morosini (St Paul on Road to Tarsus); Mauro Soderini (St Zanobi resuscitates a child, 1745), and Santi di Tito (Madonna and Saints, after 1585).
Santi Apostoli, FlorenceDistance: 0.3 miTourist Information Piazza del Limbo, 1 Florence, 50123
The Church of Santi Apostoli is a Romanesque-style, Roman Catholic temple in central Florence, region of Tuscany, Italy. It is among the oldest church buildings in Florence.HistoryIt was built in the 11th century, and, though remodelled in the 15th and 16th centuries, is one of the few in the city to have maintained its High Middle Ages features. Tradition recalls that Michelangelo convinced Bindo Altoviti, who planned to raise the ground level, not to rebuild, but to preserve the church. It faces the Piazza del Limbo (Limbo Square), so-called for it anciently housed a cemetery for children who died before having been baptized. It is adjacent to the Palazzo Borgherini-Rosselli del Turco.A slab on the façade attributes the foundation to Charlemagne and his paladin Roland, in the year 800, but scholars assign it to the 11th century. A small bell tower was added by Baccio d'Agnolo in the 16th century.The simple façade, in Romanesque style, has a portal attributed to Benedetto da Rovezzano.InteriorThe plan, with a nave and two aisles with a semicircular apse, still shows Palaeo-Christian influences. It has green marble columns from Prato with capitals stripped from ancient Roman remains (the Corinthian ones probably coming from the baths existing in the area). The richly decorated wooden ceiling was added in 1333. Noteworthy is the pavement, with a mosaic from the original edifice which was later restored with the contributions of outstanding Florentine families (Acciaioli, Altoviti and others). the apse area has maintained the Romanesque appearance, with undecorated stones visible. The side chapels are from the 16th century.
What is the Church of Santi Apostoli?
Santi Apostoli is a parish community consisting of students and families from all parts of the world who come together to worship God.
When is Catholic Mass in English celebrated?
We celebrate a Catholic Mass in English every Sunday at 10:30am. On Tuesdays, Italian-English Mass at 6:00pm followed by Eucharistic Adoration and sometimes events for Upper Room Florence, a youth group for University students inspired by the success of Upper Room Rome.
How can I find out about Upper Room events?
Look out for updates on the Facebook page for more information on community events or send an email to Fr. Scott ([email protected]) to be added to the email list!
History of the Church of Santi Apostoli:
This historic church dates back to the beginning of the second millennium, and it is one of the oldest Churches in Florence! The welcoming courtyard and the Roman-esque style make Santi Apostoli a particularly prayerful place.
San Frediano in Cestello is a Baroque-style, Roman Catholic church in the Oltrarno section of Florence, region of Tuscany, Italy. The name cestello derives from the Cistercians who occupied the church in 1628. Previously the site had a 1450s church attached to the cloistered Carmelite convent of Santa Maria degli Angeli.HistoryThe church is dedicated to St Fridianus, an early Christian Irish pilgrim who became bishop of Lucca; putatively he miraculously crossed a swollen Arno river near this spot. A church at the site was present before the 11th century. Starting during the papacy of Paul II in the 1460s, the church and adjacent convent were patronized by the Soderini Family. This continued under Cardinal Francesco Soderini. The church suffered under the flood of 1557; the monks had to move to the nearby monastery of the Carmine. In 1680-1689, the church was rebuilt on the designs of Gherardo Silvani and Giulio Cerutti. The imposing cupola and bell tower added in 1689 by Antonio Maria Ferri.In the former convent of the site lived and died Saint Magdalena de Pazzi (1566–1607), born to a noble Florentine family. She was renowned for her ecstasies, during which she had visions of the divine will favoring church reforms. She was canonised in 1662. Her body was transferred to the church in central Florence that bears her name.
Orsanmichele is a church in the Italian city of Florence. The building was constructed on the site of the kitchen garden of the monastery of San Michele, which is now gone.Located on the Via Calzaiuoli in Florence, the church was originally built as a grain market in 1337 by Francesco Talenti, Neri di Fioravante, and Benci di Cione. Between 1380 and 1404, it was converted into a church used as the chapel of Florence's powerful craft and trade guilds. On the ground floor of the square building are the 13th-century arches that originally formed the loggia of the grain market. The second floor was devoted to offices, while the third housed one of the city's municipal grain storehouses, maintained to withstand famine or siege. Late in the 14th century, the guilds were charged by the city to commission statues of their patron saints to embellish the facades of the church. The sculptures seen today are copies, the originals having been removed to museums .InteriorInside the church is Andrea Orcagna's bejeweled Gothic Tabernacle (1355-59) encasing a repainting by Bernardo Daddi's of an older icon of the 'Madonna and Child'.ExteriorThe facades held 14 architecturally designed external niches, which were filled from 1399 to around 1430. The three richest guilds opted to make their figures in the far more costly bronze, which cost approximately ten times the amount of the stone figures.Modern assessmentOrsanmichele's statuary is a relic of the fierce devotion and pride of Florentine trades, and a reminder that great art often arises out of a competitive climate. Each trade hoped to outdo the other in commissioning original, groundbreaking sculptures for public display on Florence's most important street, and the artists hired and materials used (especially bronze) indicate the importance that was placed on this site.
San Gaetano, FlorenceDistance: 0.2 miTourist Information 3 Piazza degli Antinori Florence, 50121
San Gaetano, also known as Santi Michele e Gaetano is a Baroque church in Florence, Italy, located on the Piazza Antinori.HistoryThe church was built for the Theatine order, who obtained funding from the noble families in Florence, including the Medicis. Cardinal Carlo de' Medici was particularly concerned with the work, and his name is inscribed on the façade. Building took place between 1604 and 1648. The original designs were by Bernardo Buontalenti but a number of architects had a hand in building it, each of whom changed the design. The two most important architects were Matteo Nigetti and Gherardo Silvani.The church is also known as the Church of Santi Michele e Gaetano, because it was built at the site of a Romanesque church, San Michele Bertelde, dedicated to Saint Michael the Archangel. The new church was dedicated to Saint Cajetan, one of the founders of the Theatine order, though the church could not formally be named after him until his canonisation in 1671.DescriptionThe façade, with its sculptural decorations, is atypical for Florentine churches, which had a predilection for geometrically ornamented façades.
The chiesa di San Salvatore di Ognissanti or more simply chiesa di Ognissanti, is a Franciscan church located on the piazza of the same name in central Florence, region of Tuscany, Italy. Founded by the lay order of the Umiliati, the church was dedicated to all the saints and martyrs, known and unknown.HistoryIt was completed originally during the 1250s, but almost completely rebuilt around 1627 in Baroque-style by the architect Bartolomeo Pettirossi. Soon after, a new façade (1637) was erected using designs by Matteo Nigetti, that conserved the glazed terracotta lunette over the doorway, which while resembling the work of Della Robbia, is now attributed to Benedetto Buglioni. Ognissanti was among the first examples of Baroque architecture to penetrate this Renaissance city. Its two orders of pilasters enclose niches and windows with elaborate cornices. To the left of the façade is a campanile of 13th and 14th century construction.The Umiliati, by the dedication and probity of the lay brothers and sisters, gained a reputation in Florence, and dedicated works of art began to accumulate in their severely simple church. For example, Giotto's celebrated Madonna and Child with angels (c. 1310) was painted for the high altar. Recent cleaning of the Crucifix in the left transept has led this work to be attributed also to Giotto. During the sixteenth century, the Umiliati declined in power, and in 1571 the Franciscan order assumed control of the church, and were able to bring to the church precious relics, such as a robe of St Francis of Assisi.
The Cattedrale di Santa Maria del Fiore is the main church of Florence, Italy. Il Duomo di Firenze, as it is ordinarily called, was begun in 1296 in the Gothic style with the design of Arnolfo di Cambio and completed structurally in 1436 with the dome engineered by Filippo Brunelleschi. The exterior of the basilica is faced with polychrome marble panels in various shades of green and pink bordered by white and has an elaborate 19th-century Gothic Revival façade by Emilio De Fabris.The cathedral complex, located in Piazza del Duomo, includes the Baptistery and Giotto's Campanile. These three buildings are part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site covering the historic centre of Florence and are a major attraction to tourists visiting Tuscany. The basilica is one of Italy's largest churches, and until development of new structural materials in the modern era, the dome was the largest in the world. It remains the largest brick dome ever constructed.The cathedral is the mother church of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Florence, whose archbishop is currently Giuseppe Betori.
Basilica di Santa Maria del FioreDistance: 0.0 miTourist Information Della Canonica 1 V. Florence, 50122
La Cattedrale Metropolitana di Santa Maria del Fiore è il Duomo di Firenze e si affaccia sull'omonima piazza, simbolo della città e uno dei simboli d'Italia.È la quarta chiesa della Cristianità per grandezza, dopo la Basilica di San Pietro, la Cattedrale di San Paolo a Londra, e il Duomo di Milano. È lunga 160 metri, larga 90 metri al transetto della crociera e 43 metri alle navate, mentre il basamento della cupola è largo 92 braccia fiorentine, pari a 54,8 metri. La superficie interna è di 8.300 mq, escludendo la cripta di Santa Reparata e gli altri edifici del complesso (Campanile e Battistero).Ha una pianta peculiare, composta com'è di un corpo basilicale a tre navate saldato ad una enorme rotonda triconica che sorregge l'immensa Cupola del Brunelleschi, la più grande cupola in muratura mai costruita, il cui peso è calcolato in circa 25.000 tonnellate. Al suo interno è visibile la più grande superficie mai decorata ad affresco: 3600 m², eseguiti tra il 1572-1579 da Giorgio Vasari e Federico Zuccari. Alla base della lanterna in marmo, è presente una terrazza panoramica sulla città, posta a 91 metri da terra, raggiungibile salendo 463 gradini.
Firenze DuomoDistance: 0.0 miTourist Information Piazza del Duomo, 50122 Florence, Italy Florence, 50123
San Lorenzo, FlorenceDistance: 0.1 miTourist Information Piazza di San Lorenzo, 9 Florence, 50123
The Basilica di San Lorenzo is one of the largest churches of Florence, Italy, situated at the centre of the city’s main market district, and the burial place of all the principal members of the Medici family from Cosimo il Vecchio to Cosimo III. It is one of several churches that claim to be the oldest in Florence; when it was consecrated in 393 it stood outside the city walls. For three hundred years it was the city's cathedral before the official seat of the bishop was transferred to Santa Reparata. San Lorenzo was also the parish church of the Medici family. In 1419, Giovanni di Bicci de' Medici offered to finance a new church to replace the 11th-century Romanesque rebuilding. Filippo Brunelleschi, the leading Renaissance architect of the first half of the 15th century, was commissioned to design it, but the building, with alterations, was not completed until after his death. The church is part of a larger monastic complex that contains other important architectural and artistic works: the Old Sacristy by Brunelleschi, with interior decoration and sculpture by Donatello; the Laurentian Library by Michelangelo; the New Sacristy based on Michelangelo's designs; and the Medici Chapels by Matteo Nigetti.
Collegiata Di San Giovanni Battista - FucecchioDistance: 0.1 miTourist Information Piazza Vittorio Veneto Fucecchio, 50054
Piazza Della SS AnnunziataDistance: 0.3 miTourist Information Piazza della Santissima Annunziata Florence,
Cattedrale Piazza Del Duomo, FirenzeDistance: 0.9 miTourist Information Piazza del Duomo 1 Florence, 50122
The church of San Barnaba is a small Renaissance-style church in the center of Florence, at the corner of Via Panicale and Via GuelfaInitially built in the 14th century by the Chapter of St Lawrence, in memory of the June 11, 1289 victory of the Florentine Guelphs over Ghibelline opponents from Arezzo. After 1356, the church was affiliated with the Augustinian order, housed in an adjacent convent. In the 16th century, the complex was granted to a Carmelite order, and the underwent rebuilding of the church, including the elaborate gilded wooden ceiling, completed in 1717 by Giovanni Vernaccini. The convent was suppressed and converted into apartments. The church is part of the parish of San Lorenzo.The rather plain façade has heraldic symbols of a red cross, eagle defeating a dragon, and the Florentine giglio (stylized iris), which are the symbols respectively of the people of Florence, the guelphs, and the city of Florence. The portal has a Giovanni Della Robbia Madonna made of terracota (1528-1529). The church contains paintings by Pier Francesco Foschi, Alessandro Allori, and Lorenzo di Bicci.
Museo Nazionale di San MarcoDistance: 0.4 miTourist Information Piazza San Marco 3, 50121 Firenze Florence, 50121
Il Museo nazionale di San Marco, che ha sede nella parte monumentale di un antico convento domenicano, si trova in piazza San Marco a Firenze, in Italia.Il museo, che di per sé è un capolavoro architettonico di Michelozzo e un edificio di primissima importanza storica nella città, possiede la migliore collezione al mondo delle opere, sia su tavola sia ad affresco, di Beato Angelico, il quale visse in questo monastero per un certo periodo. Altri maestri qui rappresentati sono Fra' Bartolomeo, Domenico Ghirlandaio, Alesso Baldovinetti, Jacopo Vignali, Bernardino Poccetti, Giovanni Antonio Sogliani e altri. Nel lapidario sono inoltre custoditi i resti di edifici demoliti nel periodo del Risanamento di Firenze capitale (dal 1865-1871).San Marco è stato fino al 2014 sede di una comunità domenicana, dove i frati abitavano gli ambienti a ponente, attorno al chiostro grande; i pochi religiosi superstiti sono stati riuniti quell'anno ai frati di Santa Maria Novella.
The Forte di Belvedere or Fortezza di Santa Maria in San Giorgio del Belvedere is a fortification in Florence, Italy.HistoryForte Belvedere is the second and largest fortress to be built in Florence, Italy.It was designed and built by Bernardo Buontalenti over a five-year period, between 1590 and 1595, by order of Grand Duke Ferdinando I de' Medici.Fortifications were significant in the 16th century and a demonstration of a city’s wealth and capabilities.The fortress is located in the southern hills of the Arno River and on the highest hill of the Boboli Gardens. It had long been considered one of the weakest spots in the city’s defenses, a sensation that only increased with the invention of artillery in the early modern era. From a military point of view, the fortress is located at the most strategic point, overlooking almost the entire city and surrounding area. Due to the nature of Renaissance warfare, forts were paramount in a city’s defensive strategy.The Fort served several purposes. Most importantly it was designed to protect the centre of government in Florence and the Medici family if the city came under attack. It was also constructed to protect the Pitti Palace, Oltrarno district and south end of the city. In addition to this, the fort served as a garrison for troops for over 100 years after its completion.
The Museum of Zoology and Natural History, best known as La Specola, is an eclectic natural history museum in Florence, central Italy, located next to the Pitti Palace. The name Specola means observatory, a reference to the astronomical observatory founded there in 1790. It now forms part of the Museo di Storia Naturale di Firenze. This museum is part of what are now six different collections at four different sites for the Museo di Storia Naturale di Firenze.HistoryThe museum has deep ties with history; parts of the collection can be traced back to the Medici Family. It is known for its collection of wax anatomical models from the 18th century. It is the oldest scientific Museum of Europe.This museum is located in the former Palazzo Torrigani at Via Romana 17, near the Pitti Palace.The Imperial Regio Museo di Fisica e Storia Naturale (The Imperial-Royal Museum for Physics and Natural History) was founded in 1771 by Grand Duke Peter Leopold to publicly display the large collection of natural curiosities such as fossils, animals, minerals and exotic plants acquired by several generations of the Medici. At the time of its opening, and for the first years of the 19th century, it was the only scientific museum or Wunderkammer of its kind specifically created for the public to view. It opened on 21 February 1775 to the general public.
Campucc10 Distance: 0.7 miTourist Information Via Del Campuccio 10/r (angolo Via Romana) Florence, Italy
Atelier via Maggio è un concept store, nel cuore dell'Oltrarno fiorentino; nato dall'incontro di tre donne che hanno deciso di mettere in comune esperienze, competenze e passioni diverse, per dar vita ad un sogno. Dare spazio a creazioni uniche e proprie, ma non solo; idee espresse con pregiate manifatture, testimonianza dell'eccellenza del vero made in Italy e della più fine tradizione fiorentina. Un ampio spazio-laboratorio dove si concretizzano passioni.