The Temple of Saturn is a temple to the god Saturn in ancient Rome. The original dedication of a temple to Saturn was traditionally dated to 497 BC, but ancient writers disagreed greatly about the history of this site. The ruins of the temple stand at the foot of the Capitoline Hill in the western end of the Forum Romanum.ArchaeologyGradual collapse has left nothing but the remains of the front portico standing. The partially preserved pediment displays the inscription Senatus Populusque Romanus incendio consumptum restituit, meaning "The Senate and People of Rome have restored consumed by fire". The pediment and eight surviving columns represent one of the iconic images of Rome's ancient architectural heritage.HistoryConstruction of the temple is thought to have begun in the later years of the Roman Kingdom under Tarquinius Superbus. Its inauguration by the Consul Titus Lartius took place in the early years of the Republic. The temple was completely reconstructed by Munatius Plancus in 42 BC.
Trajan's Forum was the last of the Imperial fora to be constructed in ancient Rome. The architect Apollodorus of Damascus oversaw its construction.HistoryThis forum was built on the order of the emperor Trajan with the spoils of war from the conquest of Dacia, which ended in 106. The Fasti Ostienses state that the Forum was inaugurated in 112, while Trajan's Column was erected and then inaugurated in 113.To build this monumental complex, extensive excavations were required: workers eliminated the sides of the Quirinal and Capitoline (Campidoglio) Hills, which closed the valley occupied by the Imperial forums toward the Campus Martius.It is possible that the excavations were initiated under Emperor Domitian, while the project of the Forum was completely attributed to the architect Apollodorus of Damascus, who also accompanied Emperor Trajan in the Dacian campaign.During the time of the construction, several other projects took place: the construction of the Markets of Trajan, and the renovation of the Caesar's Forum (where the Basilica Argentaria was built) and the Temple of Venus Genetrix.
Campo de' Fiori is a rectangular square south of Piazza Navona in Rome, Italy, at the border between rione Parione and rione Regola. It is diagonally southeast of the Palazzo della Cancelleria and one block northeast of the Palazzo Farnese. Campo de' Fiori, translated literally from Italian, means "field of flowers". The name dates to the Middle Ages when the area was a meadow.HistoryIn Ancient Rome the area was unused space between Pompey's Theatre and the flood-prone Tiber. Though the Orsini established themselves on the south flank of the space in the 13th century, until the 15th century the square remained undeveloped. The first church in the immediate vicinity was built during the pontificate of Boniface IX (1389-1404), Santa Brigida a Campo de' Fiori; with the building-up of the rione, the church has now come to face that part of the former square that is now Piazza Farnese. In 1456 under Pope Callixtus III, Ludovico Cardinal Trevisani paved the area as part of a large project to improve rione Parione. This renewal was both the result and cause of several important buildings being built in the surroundings; in particular, the Orsini palace on Campo de' Fiori was rebuilt. The Renaissance Palazzo della Cancelleria can be seen in Vasi's etching, rising majestically beyond the far right corner of the square.
Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi is a fountain in the Piazza Navona in Rome, Italy. It was designed in 1651 by Gian Lorenzo Bernini for Pope Innocent X whose family palace, the Palazzo Pamphili, faced onto the piazza as did the church of Sant'Agnese in Agone of which Innocent was the sponsor.The base of the fountain is a basin from the centre of which travertine rocks rise to support four river gods and above them, an ancient Egyptian obelisk surmounted with the Pamphili family emblem of a dove with an olive twig. Collectively, they represent four major rivers of the four continents through which papal authority had spread: the Nile representing Africa, the Danube representing Europe, the Ganges representing Asia, and the Río de la Plata representing the Americas.DesignBernini's design was selected in competition. The circumstances of his victory are described as follows in Filippo Baldinucci's The life of Cavaliere Bernini (1682):Public fountains in Rome served multiple purposes: first, they were highly needed sources of water for neighbors in the centuries prior to home plumbing. Second, they were monuments to the papal patrons. Earlier Bernini fountains had been the Fountain of the Triton in Piazza Barberini, the Fountain of the Moor in the southern end of Piazza Navona erected during the Barberini papacy, and the Neptune and Triton for Villa Peretti Montalto, whose statuary now resides at Victoria and Albert Museum in London.
The Trevi Fountain is a fountain in the Trevi district in Rome, Italy, designed by Italian architect Nicola Salvi and completed by Pietro Bracci. Standing high and wide, it is the largest Baroque fountain in the city and one of the most famous fountains in the world. The fountain has appeared in several notable films, including Federico Fellini's La Dolce Vita.History before 1629The fountain at the junction of three roads marks the terminal point of the "modern" Acqua Vergine, the revived Aqua Virgo, one of the aqueducts that supplied water to ancient Rome. In 19 BC, supposedly with the help of a virgin, Roman technicians located a source of pure water some 13km from the city. However, the eventual indirect route of the aqueduct made its length some 22km. This Aqua Virgo led the water into the Baths of Agrippa. It served Rome for more than 400 years.LegendsLegend holds that in 19 BC thirsty Roman soldiers were guided by a young girl to a source of pure water 13km from the city of Rome. The discovery of the source led Augustus to commission the construction of a 22km aqueduct leading into the city, which was named Aqua Virgo, or Virgin Waters, in honour of the legendary young girl. The aqueduct served the hot Baths of Agrippa, and Rome, for over four hundred years.
Alla Fontana di Trevi e al suo restauro sono dedicati un sito web e un'app smartphone per iPhone e dispositivi Android.
Il sito web sarà raggiungibile agli indirizzi www.restaurofontanaditrevi.it e www.trevifountain.it .
L’app smartphone Fontana di Trevi sarà, invece, scaricabile gratuitamente su App store o Google Play.
La navigazione interattiva con Timeline
Il sito web e l’app contengono una sezione tematica che illustra il progetto di RESTAURO e che consentirà al pubblico di seguire l'andamento dei lavori.
Una specifica area tematica è, inoltre, dedicata alla Fontana, di cui l'utente potrà ripercorrere la STORIA e le fasi della COSTRUZIONE.
La sezione IMMAGINARIO, infine, propone una selezione di contenuti fotografici e audio/video che mostra come Fontana di Trevi sia divenuta nel tempo uno dei monumenti più celebri al mondo.
Caratteristica del sito è la navigazione in modalità Timeline, che consente al visitatore di visualizzare i contenuti sulla base di una linea temporale grafica.
Scatta il tuo SELFIE!
L’app smatphone Fontana di Trevi consentirà a tutti i visitatori della fontana (entro una distanza georeferenziata di 200 metri) di scattare un selfie con l’apposito tasto “Scatta il Tuo Selfie”.
Le foto scattate dai visitatori saranno raccolte in un’area del sito web, mentre ogni utente, che invierà il selfie, riceverà via mail un poster della Fontana di Trevi personalizzato con la propria foto.
Il lancio della MONETINA
Sempre tramite l’applicazione smartphone, sarà possibile lanciare nella fontana una monetina virtuale e celebrare così il gesto che, secondo la nota tradizione, esprime il desiderio di ogni turista di ritornare un giorno a Roma.
The Palazzo Chigi is a palace or noble residence in Rome and the official residence of the Prime Minister of the Italian Republic. Since February 22nd 2014, the occupant of Palazzo Chigi has been Matteo Renzi.The Palazzo, overlooking the Piazza Colonna and the Via del Corso, was begun in 1562 by Giacomo della Porta and completed by Carlo Maderno in 1580 for the Aldobrandini family. In 1659 it was purchased by the Chigi family. It was then remodelled by Felice della Greca and Giovan Battista Contini. It has five floors, a broad stairway that leads to the living rooms, and a courtyard decorated with a fountain, designed by Giacomo della Porta. The fountain has been copied in many sites in Rome and other Italian cities.In 1878 it became the residence of the Austro-Hungarian Ambassador to Italy. In 1916 it was bought by the Italian state and became the seat of the Minister for Colonial Affairs. Later it was the official residence of the Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs. In 1961 it became the official meeting place of Council of Ministers whose President is the head of the Italian government.The Library Hall was commissioned by Agostino Chigi at the end of the 17th century in order to house the enormous library of cardinal Flavio Chigi. The project was realized by Giovan Battista Contini, a famous architect of the period. The Chigi library or Chigiana contained thousands of valuable manuscripts, to a large part based on the personal library of Pope Alexander VII, a member of the Chigi family. Since the time of Pope Benedict XV, the Vatican attempted to acquire this library, but lacked the necessary funds. Eventually, Pietro Tacchi Venturi was tasked by Pope Pius XI to negotiate the purchase with the newly formed fascist government of Benito Mussolini. Venturi managed to convince Mussolini to donate the library to the Vatican free of charge.
Via delle Quattro FontaneDistance: 0.4 miTourist Information Via delle Quattro Fontane Rome, 00184
Fontana del Tritone is a seventeenth-century fountain in Rome, by the Baroque sculptor Gian Lorenzo Bernini. Commissioned by his patron, Pope Urban VIII, the fountain is located in the Piazza Barberini, near the entrance to the Palazzo Barberini that Bernini helped to design and construct for the Barberini, Urban's family. This fountain should be distinguished from the nearby Fontana dei Tritoni by Carlo Francesco Bizzaccheri in Piazza Bocca della Verità which features two Tritons.The fountain was executed in travertine in 1642 - 43. At its centre rises a larger than lifesize muscular Triton, a minor sea god of ancient Greco-Roman legend, depicted as a merman kneeling on the sum of four dolphin tailfins. His head is thrown back and his arms raise a conch to his lips; from it a jet of water spurts, formerly rising dramatically higher than it does today. The fountain has a base of four dolphins that entwine the papal tiara with crossed keys and the heraldic Barberini bees in their scaly tails.
Fontana Di Trevi & Coliseum, RomeDistance: 0.6 miTourist Information Piazza di Trevi Rome, 00187
Fontana del Nettuno, Piazza del PopoloDistance: 0.8 miTourist Information Piazza del Popolo Rome,
The Fontana del Nettuno is a monumental fountain located in the Piazza del Popolo in Rome. It was constructed in the 1822-23 at the terminus of a newly built aqueduct, the Acqua Vergine Nuovo. The fountains in the Piazza del Popolo were the work of Giovanni Ceccarini. The Fontana del Nettuno is located on the west side of the square, and shows Neptune with his Trident, accompanied by two Tritons.
Fontana del Nettuno, Piazza del PopoloDistance: 0.8 miTourist Information Piazza del Popolo Rome, 00100
位于罗马人民广场的海神喷泉（Fontana del Nettuno） 兴建于1822-23年，在一个新建渡槽Acqua Vergine Nuovo的终点。人民广场的海神喷泉是 Giovanni Ceccarini的作品。海神喷泉位于广场西侧，表现尼普顿手持三叉戟，身旁是两个特里同。
Temple of Venus and Roma Distance: 0.8 miTourist Information Piazza del Colosseo Roma Rome, Italy
The Temple of Venus and Roma Latin: Templum Veneris et Romae is thought to have been the largest temple in Ancient Rome. Located on the Velian Hill, between the eastern edge of the Forum Romanum and the Colosseum, it was dedicated to the goddesses Venus Felix ("Venus the Bringer of Good Fortune") and Roma Aeterna ("Eternal Rome"). The architect was the emperor Hadrian and construction began in 121. It was officially inaugurated by Hadrian in 135, and finished in 141 under Antoninus Pius. Damaged by fire in 307, it was restored with alterations by the emperor Maxentius.HistoryIn order to build the temple, erected on the remnants of the porticoed vestibule to Emperor Nero's Domus Aurea, the Colossus of Nero was moved and placed near the amphitheatre, which shortly afterwards became known as the Colosseum. Unimpressed by his emperor's architectural skills, Hadrian's most brilliant architect, Apollodorus, made a scornful remark on the size of the seated statues within the cellae, saying that they would surely hurt their heads if they tried to stand up from their thrones. Apollodorus was banished and executed not long after this.
Santa Maria della Consolazione is a Roman Catholic church in Rome, Italy at the foot of the Palatine Hill, in rione Campitelli.HistoryThe church is named after an icon of the Virgin Mary which was placed on this site to console criminals who were tossed down off the cliff above the church, thought to be the Tarpeian Rock from where condemned Ancient Roman criminals were tossed to their death in Roman times. In 1385 a condemned nobleman, Giordanello degli Alberini, paid 2 gold florins for the icon to provide consolation for criminals facing death.
Santa Maria della Consolazione Distance: 0.6 miTourist Information Via della Consolazione Rome, Italy
Santa Maria della Consolazione ou Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Consolação é uma igreja católica de Roma, localizada no sopé do Monte Palatino, no rione Campitelli, e dedicada a Nossa Senhora da Consolação. O nome da igreja é uma referência a um ícone de Nossa Senhora que ficava ali para consolar os criminosos que depois seriam atirados do precipício que fica logo acima da igreja e que, acredita-se, seja a Rocha Tarpeia, a mesma de onde eram atirados para a morte os criminosos da Roma Antiga. Em 1385, um nobre condenado, Giordanello degli Alberini, pagou dois florins de ouro para que o ícone ficasse ali para consolar os condenados.
Theatre of Marcellus Distance: 0.6 miTourist Information Via di Monte Savello 30 Rome, Italy 00186
The Theatre of Marcellus is an ancient open-air theatre in Rome, Italy, built in the closing years of the Roman Republic. At the theatre, locals and visitors alike were able to watch performances of drama and song. Today its ancient edifice in the rione of Sant'Angelo, Rome, once again provides one of the city's many popular spectacles or tourist sites. Space for the theatre was cleared by Julius Caesar, who was murdered before its construction could begin; the theatre was so far advanced by 17 BC that part of the celebration of the ludi saeculares took place within the theatre; it was completed in 13 BC and formally inaugurated in 12 BC by Augustus.The theatre was 111 m in diameter and was the largest and most important theatre in Ancient Rome; it could originally hold between 11,000 and 20,000 spectators. It was an impressive example of what was to become one of the most pervasive urban architectural forms of the Roman world. The theatre was built mainly of tuff, and concrete faced with stones in the pattern known as opus reticulatum, completely sheathed in white travertine. However, it is also the earliest dateable building in Rome to make use of fired Roman brick, then a new introduction from the Greek world.
Piazza delle Cinque Scole Distance: 0.7 miTourist Information Piazza delle Cinque Scole Rome, Italy 00186
Museo Ebraico di Roma Distance: 0.7 miTourist Information Lungotevere de' Cenci Rome, Italy 00186
Great Synagogue of Rome Distance: 0.7 miTourist Information Lungotevere Dè Cenci, 15 Rome, Italy 00186
The Great Synagogue of Rome is the largest synagogue in Rome.HistoryThe Jewish community of Rome goes back to the 2nd century B.C when the Roman Empire had an alliance of sorts with Judea under the leadership of Judah Maccabeus. At that time, many Jews came to Rome from Judea. Their numbers increased during the following centuries due to the settlement that came with Mediterranean trade. Then large numbers of Jews were brought to Rome as slaves following the Jewish–Roman wars in Judea from 63 to 135 CE.The present Synagogue was constructed shortly after the unification of Italy in 1870, when the Kingdom of Italy captured Rome and the Papal States ceased to exist. The Roman Ghetto was demolished and the Jews were granted citizenship. The building which had previously housed the ghetto synagogue (a complicated structure housing five scolas (the Italian-Jewish term for synagogues)(the Jewish community of Rome). It houses the offices of the Chief Rabbi of Rome, as well as the Jewish Museum of Rome.On 17 January 2005, thirteen cantors, in conjunction with the Jewish Ministers Cantors Association of America (the Chazzanim Farband)(The Great Synagogue of Rome)(Contact, Map, Images and history)(city) historycantors]]