The Arènes de Lutèce are among the most important remains from the Gallo-Roman era in Paris (known in antiquity as Lutetia, or Lutèce in French), together with the Thermes de Cluny. Lying in what is now the Quartier Latin, this amphitheater could once seat 15,000 people, and was used to present gladiatorial combats.Constructed in the 1st century AD, this amphitheater is considered the longest of its kind constructed by the Romans. The sunken arena of the amphitheater was surrounded by the wall of a podium 2.5 m (8.2 feet) high, surmounted by a parapet. The presence of a 41.2-m- (135-foot-) long stage allowed scenes to alternate between theatrical productions and combat. A series of nine niches aided in improving the acoustics. Five cubbyholes were situated beneath the lower terraces, of which there appear to have been animal cages that opened directly into the arena. Historians believe that the terraces, which surrounded more than half of the arena's circumference, could accommodate as many as 17,000 spectators.Slaves, the poor, and women were relegated to the higher tiers — while the lower seating areas were reserved for Roman male citizens. For comfort, a linen awning sheltered spectators from the hot sun. Circus acts showcased wild animals. From its vantage point, the amphitheater also afforded a spectacular view of the Bièvre and Seine rivers.When Lutèce was sacked during the barbarian invasions of 280 A.D., some of the structure's stone work was carted off to reinforce the city's defences around the Île de la Cité. Subsequently, the amphitheater became a cemetery, and then it was filled in completely following the construction of wall of Philippe Auguste (ca. 1210).
The Rue Saint-Jacques is a street in the Latin Quarter of Paris which lies along the cardo of Roman Lutetia. The Boulevard Saint-Michel, driven through this old quarter of Paris by Baron Haussmann, relegated the roughly parallel rue Saint-Jacques to a backstreet, but it was a main axial road of medieval Paris, as the buildings that still front it attest. It was the starting point for pilgrims leaving Paris to make their way along the chemin de St-Jacques that led eventually to Santiago de Compostela. The Paris base of the Dominican Order was established in 1218 under the leadership of Pierre Seila in the Chapelle Saint-Jacques, close to the Porte Saint-Jacques, on this street; this is why the Dominicans were called Jacobins in Paris. Johann Heynlin and Guillaume Fichet established the first printing press in France, briefly at the Sorbonne and then on this street, in the 1470s. The second printers in Paris were Peter Kayser and Johann Stohl at the sign of the Soleil d'Or in the Rue Saint-Jacques, from 1473. The proximity of the Sorbonne led many later booksellers and printers to set up shop here also.
The Luxembourg Palace is located at 15 rue de Vaugirard in the 6th arrondissement of Paris. It was originally built (1615–1645) to the designs of the French architect Salomon de Brosse to be the royal residence of the regent Marie de Médicis, mother of Louis XIII of France. After the Revolution it was refashioned (1799–1805) by Jean Chalgrin into a legislative building and subsequently greatly enlarged and remodeled (1835–1856) by Alphonse de Gisors. Since 1958 it has been the seat of the French Senate of the Fifth Republic.Immediately west of the palace on the rue de Vaugirard is the Petit Luxembourg, now the residence of the Senate President; and slightly further west, the Musée du Luxembourg, in the former orangery. On the south side of the palace, the formal Luxembourg Garden presents a 25-hectare green parterre of gravel and lawn populated with statues and large basins of water where children sail model boats.Early historyAfter the death of Henry IV in 1610, his widow, Marie de Médicis, became regent to her son, Louis XIII. Having acceded to a much more powerful position, she decided to erect a new palace for herself, adjacent to an old hôtel particulier owned by François de Luxembourg, Duc de Piney, which is now called the Petit Luxembourg and is the residence of the president of the French Senate.
Le palais du Luxembourg, situé dans le de Paris dans le nord du jardin du Luxembourg, est le siège du Sénat français, qui fut installé en 1799 dans le palais construit au début du, à la suite de la régence de la reine Marie de Medicis. Il appartient au domaine de cette assemblée qui comprend également, à proximité du palais, l'hôtel du Petit Luxembourg, résidence du président du Sénat, le musée du Luxembourg, et l'ensemble du jardin.HistoireLe palais du Luxembourg doit son nom à l'hôtel bâti au milieu du et qui appartenait à François de Piney, duc de Luxembourg.La régente Marie de Médicis, veuve de Henri IV, achète l'hôtel et le domaine dits « de Luxembourg » en 1612 et commande en 1615 la construction d'un palais à l'architecte Salomon de Brosse. Après avoir fait raser maisons et une partie du Petit Luxembourg, elle pose elle-même la première pierre le 2 avril 1615. Le marché de construction est retiré à Salomon de Brosse en 1624 et rétrocédé au maître maçon Marin de la Vallée le 26 juin 1624. Elle s'y installe en 1625 au premier étage de l'aile ouest, avant la fin des travaux. La partie ouest du palais Médicis était réservée à la reine mère et celle de gauche à son fils, le roi Louis XIII.
Le collège des Bernardins, ou collège Saint-Bernard, situé rue de Poissy dans le 5e arrondissement de Paris de Paris, est un ancien collège cistercien de l'historique Université de Paris. Fondé par Étienne de Lexington, abbé de Clairvaux, et construit à partir de 1248 avec les encouragements du pape Innocent IV, il servit jusqu'à la révolution française de résidence pour les moines cisterciens étudiants à l'Université de Paris.Après une rénovation complète achevée en septembre 2008, c'est aujourd’hui un lieu de rencontres, de dialogues, de formation et de culture proposant une programmation riche de conférences et colloques, d’expositions, de concerts, d’activités pour le jeune public ainsi qu’un centre de formation théologique et biblique. Depuis 2009, il abrite l'Académie catholique de France.Il fait l’objet d’un classement au titre des monuments historiques depuis le.Histoire du CollègeLe Collège des Bernardins, commencé à l’époque du règne de Saint Louis, est situé rue de Poissy, une petite rue qui donne dans le boulevard Saint-Germain en direction de l’Île Saint-Louis. Chef-d’œuvre de l’architecture médiévale, c'est par la volonté de Monseigneur Lustiger alors archevêque de Paris qu'il a retrouvé sa place éminente de haut-lieu de la spiritualité, célèbre et reconnu dans toute l’Europe médiévale, d’où l’on venait étudier les textes savants des religieux de renom.
The Cordeliers Convent was a convent in Paris, France.It gave its name to the Club of the Cordeliers, which held its first meetings there during the French Revolution.Cordeliers was the name given in France to the Franciscan Observantists.The building now houses the Dupuytren Museum of anatomy in connection with the school of medicine.Burials at the conventMarie of Brabant, Queen of FranceArthur II, Duke of BrittanyBlanche of France, Infanta of Castile
Réfectoire des CordeliersDistance: 1.0 miTourist Information 15 rue de l'école de médecine Paris, 75006
La place Saint-Sulpice est une place du arrondissement de Paris.HistoireLors de la construction de la façade actuelle de l'église Saint-Sulpice au, l'architecte Giovanni Niccolo Servandoni prévoit la création d'une place monumentale en demi-cercle, de de large sur de long. Ce projet n'est pas réalisé mais un espace prolongeant le parvis est débuté en 1757. En 1767, un emprunt est souscrit par la ville après autorisation du roi pour entreprendre les expropriations et les travaux d'aménagement.Au, plusieurs plans sont proposés pour achever la place. Un plan adopté par le ministre de l'Intérieur le 26 thermidor An VIII (14 août 1800), confirmé par un arrêté des consuls du 16 vendémiaire an IX (8 octobre 1800) prévoit une place semi-circulaire qui doit être réalisé dans un délai de six ans. Un arrêté du 25 juin 1806 annule ce plan et prévoit cette fois une place rectangulaire dont le plan est approuvé par le ministre de l'intérieur le 19 octobre 1806. Un nouveau plan, prévoyant une place rectangulaire aux dimensions plus importantes, est adopté le 19 juillet 1808. Une décision ministérielle du 20 décembre 1810 prévoit que la place Saint-Sulpice soit portée jusqu'à la rue du Pot-de-Fer (actuelle rue Bonaparte). Un décret du 24 février 1811 ordonne l'achèvement de cette place dans le courant de la même année. Les dispositions arrêtées en 1810 ont été confirmées par une décision ministérielle du 9 mai 1812. La place est en partie aménagée à l'emplacement de l'ancien séminaire Saint-Sulpice, construit au.En 1838, la place est nivelée et plantée d'arbres. De 1843 à 1848, la fontaine Saint-Sulpice est érigée au centre de la place par l'architecte Louis Visconti.
The Fontaine Saint-Michel is a monumental fountain located in Place Saint-Michel in the 5th arrondissement in Paris. It was constructed in 1858–1860 during the French Second Empire by the architect Gabriel Davioud.HistoryThe fontaine Saint-Michel was part of the great project for the reconstruction of Paris overseen by Baron Haussmann during the French Second Empire. In 1855 Haussmann completed an enormous new boulevard, originally called boulevard de Sébastopol-rive-gauche, now called Boulevard Saint-Michel, which opened up the small place Pont-Saint-Michel into a much larger space. Haussmann asked the architect of the service of promenades and plantations of the prefecture, Gabriel Davioud, to design a fountain which would be appropriate in scale to the new square. As the architect of the prefecture, he was able to design not only the fountain but also the facades of the new buildings around it, giving coherence to the square, but he also had to deal with the demands of the prefet and city administration, which was paying for the project.Davioud's original project was for a fountain dedicated to peace, located in the center of the square. The prefect authorities rejected this idea and asked him instead to build a fountain to hide the end wall of the building at the corner of boulevard Saint-Michel and Saint-André des Arts. This forced Davioud to adapt his plan to the proportions of that building.
Fondée en 1163, la cathédrale Notre-Dame de Paris se dresse au coeur de l'île de la Cité et de Paris et est le témoin vivant de 850 ans d'histoire !
Page Facebook des 850 ans : http://www.facebook.com/notredamedeparis2013
La place Saint-Michel est une voie située dans le quartier de la Sorbonne et le quartier de la Monnaie des 5 et arrondissements à Paris, en France.HistoireLa place a été créée lors de la percée du boulevard Saint-Michel, en 1855 sous Napoléon III. Le pont Saint-Michel construit au, a été refait à la même période que la place.En août 1944, de vifs combats y opposèrent les étudiants de la Résistance aux Allemands.
The Conciergerie is a building in Paris, France, located on the west of the Île de la Cité (literally "Island of the City"), formerly a prison but presently used mostly for law courts. It was part of the former royal palace, the Palais de la Cité, which consisted of the Conciergerie, Palais de Justice and the Sainte-Chapelle. Hundreds of prisoners during the French Revolution were taken from the Conciergerie to be executed by guillotine at a number of locations around Paris.The Middle AgesThe west part of the island was originally the site of a Merovingian palace, and was known initially as the Palais de la Cité. From the 10th to the 14th centuries it was the main palace of the medieval Kings of France. During the reigns of Louis IX (Saint Louis) (1214–1270) and Philippe IV (Philip the Fair) (1284–1314) the Merovingian palace was extended and fortified more extensively.Louis IX added the Sainte-Chapelle and associated galleries, while Philippe IV created the towered facade on the Seine river side and a large hall. Both are excellent examples of French religious and secular architecture of the period. The Sainte-Chapelle was built in the French royal style to house the crown of thorns that was brought back from the Crusades and to serve as a royal chapel. The "Grande Salle" (Great Hall) was one of the largest in Europe, and its lower story, known as "La Salle des Gens d'Armes" (The Hall of the Soldiers) survives at 64m long, 27.5m wide and 8.5m high. It was used as a dining room for the 2,000 staff members who worked in the palace. It was heated with four large fireplaces and lit by many windows, now blocked. It was also used for royal banquets and judicial proceedings. The neighboring Salle des Gardes was used as an antechamber to the Great Hall immediately above, where the king held his lit de justice (a session of parliament in the king's presence).
As doyenne of French institutions, Monnaie de Paris performs its public service mission of minting common currency at its Pessac manufacturing site (Gironde), including French euros and other currencies from Europe and around the world.
Chaired by Christophe Beaux since April 2007, Monnaie de Paris is an Établissement Public Industriel et Commercial (a Public Industrial and Commercial Institution, EPIC), reporting to the French Ministry of Economy and Finance.
In addition to preserving the lofty tradition of metalcraft, the institution’s other mission is to produce commemorative art objects: collectable coins, medals, ornaments, decorative castings, and jewellery, at the historic Quai de Conti site (Paris, 6th arrondissment).
For that reason, it is a member of the Comité Colbert (Colbert Committee), an association of French luxury brands.
Monnaie de Paris supports contemporary artistic creation, organising exhibitions of contemporary artists from France and abroad (David LaChapelle, Daniel Buren, Julien Berthier, Willy Ronis, Jean Prouvé) and participating in recurring events in conjunction with other cultural institutions (Photoquai and Parcours des Mondes celebrating tribal art). It is also a cultural actor in the city, participating in collective events by forming partnerships (Fête de la Musique, Nuit des Musées, Nuit Blanche, European Heritage Days) and engaging in charitable initiatives on behalf of CARE and the Institut Curie, etc.
The Pont Neuf is the oldest standing bridge across the river Seine in Paris, France. Its name, which was given to distinguish it from older bridges that were lined on both sides with houses, has remained after all of those were replaced. It stands by the western (downstream) point of the Île de la Cité, the island in the middle of the river that was, between 250 and 225 BC, the birthplace of Paris, then known as Lutetia, and during the medieval period, the heart of the city.The bridge is composed of two separate spans, one of five arches joining the left bank to the Île de la Cité, another of seven joining the island to the right bank. Old engraved maps of Paris show how, when the bridge was built, it just grazed the downstream tip of the Île de la Cité; since then, the natural sandbar building of a mid-river island, aided by stone-faced embankments called quais, has extended the island. Today the tip of the island is the location of the Square du Vert-Galant, a small public park named in honour of Henry IV, nicknamed the "Green Gallant".ConstructionAs early as 1550, Henry II was asked to build a bridge here because the existing Pont Notre-Dame was overloaded, but the expense was too much at the time.In February 1578, the decision to build the bridge was made by Henry III who laid its first stone in 1578, the year when the foundations of four piers and one abutment were completed. Pierre des Isles, one of the builders, convinced the supervisory commission that the bridge, which was originally straight, would be more resistant to the river currents, if its two sections were built at a slight angle, a change they adopted in May 1578.
The Place du Châtelet is a public square in Paris, on the right bank of the river Seine, on the borderline between the 1st and 4th arrondissements. It lies at the north end of the Pont au Change, a bridge that connects the Île de la Cité, near the Palais de Justice and the Conciergerie, to the right bank. The closest métro station is Châtelet 15px 15px 15px 15px 15px 15pxFeaturesThe name "Châtelet" refers to the stronghold, the Grand Châtelet, that guarded the northern end of the Pont au Change, containing the offices of the prévôt de Paris and a number of prisons, until it was demolished from 1802-10.At the square's center is the Fontaine du Palmier, designed in 1806 by architect and engineer François-Jean Bralle (1750-1832) to celebrate French victories in battle. It has a circular basin, 6m in diameter, from which a column rises in the form of a palm tree's trunk 18m tall. The palm trunk is surmounted by a gilded figure of the goddess, Victory, holding a laurel wreath in each upraised hand; the goddess figure stands on a base ornamented with bas-relief eagles. The gilded finial is by sculptor Louis-Simon Boizot.
Pont des Amoureux - Love Lock BridgeDistance: 0.4 miTourist Information Pont des Arts Paris, 75006
The Pont des Arts or Passerelle des Arts is a pedestrian bridge in Paris which crosses the River Seine. It links the Institut de France and the central square reported several deficiencies on the bridge. More specifically, he noted the damage that had been caused by two aerial bombardments sustained during World War I and World War II and the harm done from the multiple collisions caused by boats. The bridge would be closed to circulation in 1977 and, in 1979, suffered a 60-metre collapse after a barge rammed into it.The present bridge was built between 1981 and 1984 "identically" according to the plans of Louis Arretche, who had decided to reduce the number of arches from nine to seven, allowing the look of the old bridge to be preserved while realigning the new structure with the Pont Neuf. On 27 June 1984, the newly reconstructed bridge was inaugurated by Jacques Chirac, then the mayor of Paris.
Place Joachim-du-BellayDistance: 0.7 miTourist Information Place Joachim du Bellay Paris, 75001
La place Joachim-du-Bellay est une voie du 1er arrondissement de Paris de Paris, en France.HistoireLa place Joachim-du-Bellay occupe l'emplacement de l'ancien cimetière des Innocents, le principal cimetière à l'intérieur de la ville de Paris du Moyen Âge jusqu'à la fin du. Après le déménagement de la majorité des ossements aux catacombes en 1786, le site devient la « place du marché des Innocents », au milieu duquel est installée la Fontaine des Innocents. Finalement, en 1856 le marché devient un square.AccèsLes stations et gare les plus proches sont : Châtelet - Les Halles ; Les Halles ; Châtelet.
Local business Near Château De Versailles
Église Notre Dame Du Liban À Paris Distance: 1.5 miTourist Information 17 rue d'Ulm Paris, France 75005
The Lycée Montaigne is a famous French public secondary school. It is located in the 6th arrondissement of Paris, near the Jardin du Luxembourg, and was founded in the 1880s.The school currently has around 800 pupils at the Collège level, and 1,000 pupils at the Lycée level. The school also offers classes préparatoires for 150 pupils. The lycée has science (S), literature (L) and economics (ES) sections. The classes préparatoires are specialized in economics (ECE and ECS).It also has two international sections, in Portuguese and Polish.AlumniFamous alumni of the Lycée Montaigne include:Alexis Bossard, musician and drummer.André Weinfeld, writer, director, producer.Frédéric Beigbeder, writer.René Clair, filmmaker.Michel Debré, former French Prime Minister.Richard Descoings, director of the Paris Institute of Political Studies.Karl Lagerfeld, fashion designer.Régis Laspalès, comedian and actor.Jean-Marie Lustiger, former archbishop of Paris.Phetsarath, former Prime Minister of Laos.Renaud, singer.Karl Stoeckel, president of the student union Union Nationale Lycéenne in 2005-2006.Roland Barthes, cultural theorist, essayist, literary critic.
Ecole Nationale D'administration Distance: 1.4 miTourist Information 2 Avenue De L'Observatoire Paris, France 75006
Collège Stanislas de Paris Distance: 1.4 miTourist Information 22, rue Notre-Dame des champs Paris, France 75006
The Collège Stanislas de Paris is a private Catholic school in Paris, situated on "Rue Notre-Dame-des-Champs" in the 6th arrondissement. It has approximately 3,000 students, from preschool to classes préparatoires (classes to prepare students for entrance to the elite Grandes écoles such as Ecole Polytechnique, Centrale Paris, ESSEC Business school or HEC Paris), and is the largest private school in France. Stanislas is one of the most prestigious French schools (3rd in 2011).HistoryFounded in 1804 by Father Claude Liautard, the Collège has both traditional buildings and modern constructions. Under contract with the French government, it offers curricula identical to those of public education, also offering religious education on specific days - originally Wednesdays, since the Jules Ferry Laws of 1882, but now Saturdays. In 1822, its formal name was declared, after the Polish King Stanisław Leszczyński, the great-grandfather of the King of France Louis XVIII, whose second forename was "Stanislas".Since 1903 Collège has been the property of a S.A. corporation founded by former alumni. As of 2002, the school's director is Daniel Chapellier.
Institut d'etudes hispaniques Distance: 1.4 miTourist Information rue Gay Lussac Paris, France 75005