Lambeth Bridge is a road traffic and footbridge crossing the River Thames in an east-west direction in central London, the river flows north at the crossing point. Downstream, the next bridge is Westminster Bridge; upstream the next is Vauxhall Bridge.The most conspicuous colour in the bridge's paint scheme is red, the same colour as the leather benches in the House of Lords which is at the southern end of the Palace of Westminster nearest the bridge. This is in contrast to Westminster Bridge which is predominantly green, the same colour as the benches in the House of Commons at the northern end of the Houses of Parliament.On the east side, in Lambeth are Lambeth Palace, the Albert Embankment, St. Thomas' Hospital, and the International Maritime Organization. On the west side, in Westminster, are Thames House (the headquarters of MI5), behind which is Horseferry House (the National Probation Service headquarters), and Clelland House and Abell House (the headquarters of HM Prison Service), and the Millbank Tower and Tate Britain. The Palace of Westminster is a short walk downstream to the north through the Victoria Tower Garden.
Lambeth Palace is the official London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury in England, in north Lambeth, on the south bank of the River Thames, 400 m south-east of the Palace of Westminster, which houses the Houses of Parliament, on the opposite bank.HistoryThe building, originally called the Manor of Lambeth or Lambeth House, has been the London residence of the Archbishop of Canterbury for nearly 800 years, whose original residence was in Canterbury, Kent. In addition, Lambeth Palace is home to the Community of Saint Anselm, an Anglican religious order that is under the patronage of the Archbishop of Canterbury. Lambeth Palace was acquired by the archbishopric around 1200 AD and has the largest collection of records of the Church in its library. It is bounded by Lambeth Palace Road to the west and Lambeth Road to the south, but unlike all surrounding land is excluded from the parish of North Lambeth. The garden park is listed and resembles Archbishop's Park, a neighbouring public park; however, it was a larger area with a notable orchard until the early 19th century. The former church in front of its entrance has been converted to the Garden Museum. The south bank of the Thames along this reach, not part of historic London, developed slowly because the land was low and sodden: it was called Lambeth Marsh, as far downriver as the present Blackfriars Road. The name "Lambeth" embodies "hithe", a landing on the river: archbishops came and went by water, as did John Wycliff, who was tried here for heresy. In the English peasants' revolt of 1381 the Palace was attacked.
New Scotland Yard , häufig kurz Scotland Yard oder auch nur The Yard genannt, ist ein Gebäude im Londoner Stadtteil City of Westminster. Zudem ist Scotland Yard eine übliche Bezeichnung für die in diesem Gebäude residierende Polizeibehörde Metropolitan Police Service .Diese ist zuständig für Greater London mit Ausnahme der City of London, die als selbstständige Stadt mit der City of London Police über eine eigene Polizeibehörde verfügt. Neben den allgemeinen Polizeiaufgaben führt der MPS auch eine Datenbank über alle Straftäter im Vereinigten Königreich, unterstützt auf Anforderung die regionalen Polizeikräfte bei den Ermittlungen und gibt Hilfestellung bei der Aus- und Weiterbildung aller Polizeikräfte des Commonwealth. Umgangssprachlich ist im deutschsprachigen Raum mit „Scotland Yard“ meist die Londoner Kriminalpolizei gemeint.Das als New Scotland Yard bezeichnete Hauptquartier liegt derzeit in Nr. 8-10 Broadway, einer Seitenstraße der Victoria Street, unweit der Tube-Station St. James’s Park. Ausschilderungen in Richtung Broadway führen in der der U-Bahn-Station direkt zum Eingang des Gebäudes und dem rotierenden New Scotland Yard-Zeichen.
Scotland Yard is a metonym for the headquarters of the Metropolitan Police Service, the territorial police force responsible for policing most of London.The name derives from the location of the original Metropolitan Police headquarters at 4 Whitehall Place, which had a rear entrance on a street called Great Scotland Yard. The Scotland Yard entrance became the public entrance to the police station, and over time the street and the Metropolitan Police became synonymous. The New York Times wrote in 1964 that just as Wall Street gave its name to New York's financial district, Scotland Yard became the name for police activity in London.The force moved away from Great Scotland Yard in 1890, and the name New Scotland Yard was adopted for the subsequent headquarters. The current New Scotland Yard is located on Broadway in Victoria and has been the Metropolitan Police's headquarters since 1967. In summer 2013, it was announced that the force would move back to the former site of Scotland Yard, the Curtis Green Building, which is located on the Victoria Embankment and the headquarters will be renamed Scotland Yard.
Scotland Yard est le quartier général du Metropolitan Police Service (police) de Londres, se trouvant dans la cité de Westminster. C'est en 1829, date de création de cette force de police par Sir Robert Peel, que celle-ci établissait ses bureaux à Scotland Yard, au 4 Whitehall Place.HistoireSon nom dérive de, une rue du quartier St. James's reliant Northumberland Avenue et Whitehall, qui abritait des bâtiments utilisés pour accueillir les représentants diplomatiques du royaume d'Écosse, voire des souverains écossais eux-mêmes, lors de leurs visites dans la capitale anglaise...New Scotland YardDepuis son premier déménagement, en 1890, dans les sur Victoria Embankment, à plus au sud, il porte le nom de « New Scotland Yard ».En 1967, ses quartiers généraux ont été installés sur la, soit à 1 km au sud-ouest de ses locaux d'origine, dans un bâtiment de vingt-deux étages, 151 m de long et faisant, néanmoins ils portent toujours le nom de « New Scotland Yard ». Mais dans le langage courant, on continue à dire le plus souvent « Scotland Yard ». Ce bâtiment mis en vente depuis le 2 septembre 2014 pour 250 millions de livres sterling, a été acquis par un fonds d’investissement de l'émirat d'Abou Dhabi pour 370 millions de livres en décembre de la même année. L’immeuble doit devenir un complexe résidentiel et hôtelier.
The tower was originally built in 1365 to store the personal treasures of King Edward III. It was used by his successors up until the reign of Edward VI, before it was given to Parliament in the 1500s to house the records for the House of Lords. The tower was later handed over to the Government, when the Department for Weights and Measures used it as their base. The imperial measurements were all standardised here, including the infamous Great British Pint, that all pints still conform to today.
Come visit us today, to see a remarkable medieval survival in the heart of Westminster.
The House of Lords, formally styled the Right Honourable the Lords Spiritual and Temporal of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland in Parliament assembled and referred to ceremonially as the House of Peers, is the upper house of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. Like the House of Commons, it meets in the Palace of Westminster.Unlike the elected House of Commons, all members of the House of Lords (excluding 90 hereditary peers elected among themselves and two peers who are ex officio members) are appointed. The membership of the House of Lords is drawn from the peerage and is made up of Lords Spiritual and Lords Temporal. The Lords Spiritual are 26 bishops in the established Church of England. Of the Lords Temporal, the majority are life peers who are appointed by the monarch on the advice of the Prime Minister, or on the advice of the House of Lords Appointments Commission. However, they also include some hereditary peers including four dukes. Membership was once an entitlement of all hereditary peers, other than those in the peerage of Ireland, but under the House of Lords Act 1999, the right to membership was restricted to 92 hereditary peers. Very few of these are female since most hereditary peerages can only be inherited by men.
The Palace of Westminster is the meeting place of the House of Commons and the House of Lords, the two houses of the Parliament of the United Kingdom. Commonly known as the Houses of Parliament after its occupants, it is also known as the 'heart of British politics'. The Palace lies on the north bank of the River Thames in the City of Westminster, in central London.Its name, which derives from the neighbouring Westminster Abbey, may refer to either of two structures: the Old Palace, a medieval building complex destroyed by fire in 1834, and its replacement, the New Palace that stands today. The palace is owned by the monarch in right of the Crown and, for ceremonial purposes, retains its original status as a royal residence. The building is managed by BNP Paribas Real Estate, which reports to the Speaker of the House of Commons and the Lord Speaker.The first royal palace was built on the site in the 11th century, and Westminster was the primary residence of the Kings of England until fire destroyed much of the complex in 1512. After that, it served as the home of the Parliament of England, which had been meeting there since the 13th century, and also as the seat of the Royal Courts of Justice, based in and around Westminster Hall. In 1834, an even greater fire ravaged the heavily rebuilt Houses of Parliament, and the only significant medieval structures to survive were Westminster Hall, the Cloisters of St Stephen's, the Chapel of St Mary Undercroft, and the Jewel Tower.
The Church of St Margaret, Westminster Abbey, is situated in the grounds of Westminster Abbey on Parliament Square, and is the Anglican parish church of the House of Commons of the United Kingdom in London. It is dedicated to Margaret of Antioch.History and descriptionOriginally founded in the twelfth century by Benedictine monks, so that local people who lived in the area around the Abbey could worship separately at their own simpler parish church, and historically part of the hundred of Ossulstone in the county of Middlesex, St Margaret's was rebuilt from 1486 to 1523. It became the parish church of the Palace of Westminster in 1614, when the Puritans of the seventeenth century, unhappy with the highly liturgical Abbey, chose to hold Parliamentary services in the more "suitable" St Margaret's: a practice that has continued since that time.The Rector of St Margaret's is a canon of Westminster Abbey.The north-west tower was rebuilt by John James from 1734 to 1738; at the same time, the whole structure was encased in Portland stone. Both the eastern and the western porch were added later by J. L. Pearson. The church's interior was greatly restored and altered to its current appearance by Sir George Gilbert Scott in 1877, although many of the Tudor features were retained.
Big Ben is the nickname for the Great Bell of the clock at the north end of the Palace of Westminster in London, and often extended to refer to the clock and the clock tower. The tower is officially known as Elizabeth Tower, renamed to celebrate the Diamond Jubilee of Elizabeth II in 2012; previously it was known simply as the Clock Tower. When completed in 1859, it was, says clockmaker Ian Westworth, “the prince of timekeepers: the biggest, most accurate four-faced striking and chiming clock in the world.” The tower had its 150th anniversary on 31 May 2009, during which celebratory events took place.A British cultural icon, the tower is one of the most prominent symbols of the United Kingdom and is often in the establishing shot of films set in London.TowerThe Elizabeth Tower, more popularly known as Big Ben, was raised as a part of Charles Barry's design for a new palace, after the old Palace of Westminster was largely destroyed by fire on the night of 16 October 1834. The new parliament was built in a neo-gothic style. Although Barry was the chief architect of the palace, he turned to Augustus Pugin for the design of the clock tower, which resembles earlier Pugin designs, including one for Scarisbrick Hall. The design for the tower was Pugin's last design before his final descent into madness and death, and Pugin himself wrote, at the time of Barry's last visit to him to collect the drawings: "I never worked so hard in my life for Mr Barry for tomorrow I render all the designs for finishing his bell tower & it is beautiful." The tower is designed in Pugin's celebrated Gothic Revival style, and is 315ft high.
Winston Churchill Room, TreasuryDistance: 0.1 miTourist Information 100 Parliament Street London, SW1A 2BQ
The Victoria Memorial is a monument to Queen Victoria, located at the end of The Mall in London, and designed and executed by the sculptor Sir Thomas Brock. Designed in 1901, it was unveiled on 16 May 1911, though it was not completed until 1924. It was the centrepiece of an ambitious urban planning scheme, which included the creation of the Queen’s Gardens to a design by Sir Aston Webb, and the refacing of Buckingham Palace (which stands behind the memorial) by the same architect.Like the earlier Albert Memorial in Kensington Gardens, commemorating Victoria's consort, the Victoria Memorial has an elaborate scheme of iconographic sculpture. The central pylon of the memorial is of Pentelic marble, and individual statues are in Carrara marble and gilt bronze. The memorial weighs 2,300 tonnes and is 104 ft wide. In 1970 it was listed at Grade I.HistoryProposal and announcementsKing Edward VII suggested that a joint Parliamentary committee should be formed to develop plans for a Memorial to Queen Victoria following her death. The first meeting took place on 19 February 1901 at the Foreign Office, Whitehall. The first secretary of the committee was Arthur Bigge, 1st Baron Stamfordham. Initially these meetings were behind closed doors, and the proceedings were not revealed to the public. However the Lord Mayor of London, Sir Joseph Dimsdale, publicly announced that the committee had decided that the Memorial should be "monumental".
Il Victoria Memorial è una scultura della città di Londra, collocata di fronte alla residenza reale di Buckingham Palace.Fu costruita dallo scultore Sir Thomas Brock, nel 1911. Contribuì nella progettazione e nella realizzazione l'architetto e Presidente della Royal Academy Sir Aston Webb; per la costruzione furono utilizzate all'incirca 2300 tonnellate di marmo bianco.Verso nord est sorge una grande statua della regina Vittoria. Gli altri lati del monumento rappresentano statue di angeli. L'Angelo della Giustizia, l'Angelo della Verità e quello della Carità, quest'ultimo dirimpetto a Buckingham Palace. Sul pinnacolo, è raffigurata la Vittoria attorniata da due figure sedute. Queste due figure "sussidiarie" furono donate dagli abitanti della Nuova Zelanda.Galleria d'immaginiVoci correlate Albert Memorial Vittoria del Regno Unito Buckingham Palace
The London DungeonDistance: 0.2 miTourist Information The London Dungeon, County Hall, Westminster Bridge Road London, SE1 7PB
Situated in County Hall next to the Coca-Cola London Eye, the London Dungeon is a 110 minute journey through London's darkest history.
The London Dungeon brings 1000 years of authentic London history to life with a unique mix of talented live actors, stunning special effects, edge of your seat surprises and two exciting thrill rides.
Guests embark on a journey through a dramatic London landscape going back ten centuries. They are guided through ghastly plague-ridden streets, witness Guy Fawkes’ dramatic plot to blow up Parliament, travel back to Jack the Ripper’s bleak Whitechapel and walk beneath London’s foreboding medieval gates.
Expect to meet Sweeney Todd, the infamous Barber, and his evil sidekick, Mrs Lovett alongside Jack the Ripper with one of his unfortunate victims Mary Jane Kelly. They will be joined by murderous monarch Henry VIII ‘virtually’ played by boisterous British acting giant, Brian Blessed, gunpowder plotter Guy Fawkes and a supporting cast of torturers, plague victims and dark jesters. Guests can also expect close encounters with non-human ‘talent’ including giant cockroaches and the Dungeon’s resident family of scurrying rats!
As well as 19 shows, and innumerable unexpected surprises, the attraction will boast two state-of-the art thrill rides with high-tech surprises guaranteed to get adrenaline pumping. A fast flowing boat ride sees guests condemned by Henry VIII – played virtually by boisterous British acting legend Brian Blessed - to a turbulent journey along the dank River Thames towards execution. Whilst on a deadly dark drop ride they will literally be sentenced to ‘take the drop’ as they plunge three stories in the pitch dark. A chilling, screams-guaranteed, Whitechapel labyrinth will baffle guests as they try to escape ‘Jack’ and find their way out of the East End and a strange but fun journey through Balzelgette’s Victorian Sewer system will leave guests in a disorientated spin.
At the end of your tour, join us in the Dungeon Tavern, a Victorian pub experience. Your first drink is on us!
The Cenotaph is a war memorial on Whitehall in London, England. Its origin is in a temporary structure erected for a peace parade following the end of the First World War and after an outpouring of national sentiment it was replaced in 1920 by a permanent structure and designated the United Kingdom's primary national war memorial.Designed by Edwin Lutyens, the permanent structure was built from Portland stone between 1919 and 1920 by Holland, Hannen & Cubitts, replacing Lutyens' earlier wood-and-plaster cenotaph in the same location. An annual Service of Remembrance is held at the site on Remembrance Sunday, the closest Sunday to 11 November (Armistice Day) each year. Lutyens' cenotaph design has been reproduced elsewhere in the UK and in other countries including Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Bermuda and Hong Kong.OriginsThe first cenotaph was a wood-and-plaster structure designed by Sir Edwin Lutyens and erected in 1919. It was one of a number of temporary structures erected for the London Victory Parade (also called the Peace Day Parade) on 19 July 1919. It marked the formal end of the First World War that had taken place with the signing of the Treaty of Versailles on 28 June 1919. As one of a series of temporary wooden monuments constructed along the route of the parade, Whitehall's was not proposed until two weeks before the event. Following deliberations by the Peace Celebrations Committee, Lutyens was invited to Downing Street. There, the British Prime Minister, David Lloyd George, proposed that the monument should be a catafalque, like the one intended for the Arc de Triomphe in Paris for the corresponding Victory Parade in France, but Lutyens proposed instead that the design be based on a cenotaph.
We specialize in Engraving Glass, Brass, Aluminium, Stainless Steel, Acrylic and many more materials. We supply and engrave Trophies, Awards, Cups, Gifts, Medals and Signs. Established in 1962 by Michael Hapeshis in Vauxhall London, he became a trusted and highly respected shoe repairer, establishing a service based on high quality workmanship using always top quality materials. Today with 2nd & 3rd generation family members (Christopher & Andreas Hapeshis) continuing the business we have established an international reputation, we have customers in Europe, Tokyo, New Zealand and the USA. Among our customers we have Screen and stage actors, radio presenters, journalists and authors. We have also been photographed by Getty images and our shop has been used for TV sketches and TV advertisements.
Archbishop Tenison's C of E School, commonly known as Tenison's, is a Church of England mixed secondary School located in the London Borough of Lambeth.AdmissionsTenison's is now an 11–18 voluntary aided, boys and girls in September 2015 comprehensive school, part of the educational provision of the Anglican Diocese of Southwark and the London Borough of Lambeth. Girls are admitted to the sixth form. Tenison's became a specialist arts college in 2003. The school caters for around 530 pupils, of whom 80 are in the sixth form. The school is located directly opposite The Oval cricket ground, home of Surrey County Cricket Club.HistoryThomas Tenison, an educational evangelist and later Archbishop of Canterbury, founded several schools in the late 17th and early 18th centuries. A boys' school now at the Oval was founded in 1685 in the crypt of St Martin's in the Fields and relocated by 1895 in Leicester Square on the site previously occupied by the Sabloniere Hotel. The school moved to The Oval in 1928, with the new building being opened by the then Prince of Wales (later King Edward VIII). A girls' school was formally established in 1706 for 12 girls and in 1863 a new school building was erected at 18 Lambeth High Street. The girls school closed in 1961, when it amalgamated with Archbishop Temple's Boys School to form a mixed VA school. The building was used by Temple's as a first-year annex from 1968 to 1974, when Archbishop Temple's School closed. Archbishop Tenison founded another school in nearby Croydon in 1714.
The work we do, both visually and verbally, is to sharpen the sell: to ensure your market notices, understands, desires and, above all, selects your brand.
Politics and red tape are the reasons we left the big agency world behind us. We believe great communications start from the word go: first-hand contact with clients is vital to realising objectives.
In turn, our clients find that direct involvement with an experienced, hands-on creative resource is more time and cost-efficient, more rewarding and often a lot more fun.