Bishops Ave London, United Kingdom SW6 6 020 7736 3233
The site of Fulham Palace was occupied during the Neolithic, Iron Age and Roman periods, probably because of its location next to an important Thames crossing. From medieval times or earlier the site was encircled by the longest domestic moat in England. You can see part of the moat as you enter and walk across the bridge at the main entrance of the site.
Since 704 AD Fulham Palace has been the property of the Bishops of London. Fulham Palace was the summer home of the bishops. Each bishop had many homes: in the 16th century there were 177 homes for 21 English bishops! This is an indication of the status of bishops in British life.
The last bishop to live at the Palace moved out in 1973.
Today Fulham Palace is run by Fulham Palace Trust, a registered charity, established in 2011. There is a wealth of things to see and do, from exploring the museum that charts the Palace’s eventful history to having lunch in the Drawing Room Café that looks out onto the beautiful gardens, including the recently restored 18th century Walled Garden.
Admission to the Palace and its gardens is free of charge (except for special tours and events). The Palace is available to hire as a stunning venue for weddings, private and corporate events.
St. Mary's Church (in full, the Church of St. Mary the Virgin), Putney, is an Anglican church in Putney, London sited next to the River Thames, beside the southern approach to Putney Bridge. There has been a centre of Christian worship on this site from at least the 13th century, and the church is still very active today. It is also noteworthy because in 1647, during the English Civil War, the church was the site of the Putney Debates on the English constitution. It has been Grade II* listed since 1955.The building itself has seen many changes; parts of the existing church have survived from medieval times, such as the 15th century tower and some of the nave arcading, and the early 16th century Bishop West Chapel, built by Bishop Nicholas West. Most of the building, however, dates from the substantial reconstruction of 1836 to the designs of Edward Lapidge. He largely rebuilt the body of the church in yellow brick with stone dressings and perpendicular windows. Some of the medieval pillars and arches in the nave were retained, but both the north and the south arcades were widened.In 1973 an arson attack gutted much of the church. Rebuilding was not completed until nearly ten years later, when the church was rehallowed by Rt. Revd. Michael Marshall the Bishop of Woolwich, on 6 February 1982. Since the restoration, the altar has not been positioned, as is usual, in the chancel or even at the eastern end of the nave, but instead halfway down the northern side of the nave, with the seating arranged to reflect this. The architect of the restoration was Ronald Sims. The pipe organ is by the Danish firm of Marcussen & Søn.
Kenilworth Court Distance: 0.3 miTourist Information Lower Richmond Road London, United Kingdom SW15
Kenilworth Court, in Putney, London, consists of eight purpose-built blocks of flats. Built in Edwardian style, the blocks were completed in 1903-1905. Kenilworth Court contains four postcodes, SW15 1EN, SW15 1EW, SW15 1HA and SW15 1HB.Kenilworth Court contains 150 flats, with a garden in the middle. The court is portered, and there is residents parking inside the court.With up to 1 Gigabytes per second fiber optic internet access (through Hyperoptic), Kenilworth Court currently has one of the fastest residential broadband access in the UK.HistoryKenilworth Court was built as rented family accommodation.In a series of transactions between the mid-1950s and early 1970s, residents were able to acquire individual leases and eventually, as a body, the residents secured the freehold of the overall property. Since that time, Kenilworth Court has been run by the controlling company, Kenilworth Court Co-ownership Housing Association Ltd (or KCCHA). This company is wholly owned by leaseholders.The current garden contained a tennis court prior to World War II, and was used for growing vegetables during the war.Notable residents Cyril Power (1872-1951) was an English artist who co-founded The Grosvenor School Of Modern Art in London. William Cooper (1910-2002) was an English novelist. Gavin Ewart (1916-1995) was a British poet. Jaroslav Drobný (1921-2001) was a World No. 1 amateur tennis champion Carol II (1893-1953) reigned as King of Romania from 8 June 1930 until 6 September 1940. He lived in Flat 113 Kenilworth Court (using Flat 112 Kenilworth Court for his retinue) while in London. Hugh Gater Jenkins, Baron Jenkins of Putney (1908-2004) was a British politician, campaigner and Labour Party member of Parliament and the House of Lords. Fred Russell (1862-1957) was an English ventriloquist. Usually credited as being the first to use a knee-sitting figure, he is known as "The Father of Modern Ventriloquism". He lived in Flat 71, Kenilworth Court, between 1914 and 1926.
Gambado Chelsea is the UK's ultimate indoor play and party centre. Our mission is to be the greatest, quality family indoor play provider in the UK. Through our expertise, we offer children the opportunity to play, run free and explore in a fun, safe and stimulating environment whilst providing a comfortable and relaxed haven for adults.
Visit our website for more information:
London Rowing Club is the second-oldest of the non-academic active rowing clubs on the Thames in London, United Kingdom. It was founded in 1856 by members of the long-disbanded Argonauts Club wishing to compete at Henley Royal Regatta.It is regarded as one of the most high-performance and successful rowing clubs in Britain and its Patron is HRH Prince Philip, The Duke of Edinburgh.HistoryThe club was founded in 1856 at the instigation of Herbert Playford, A. A. Casamajor and Josias Nottidge for the purpose of promoting rowing on the river Thames and winning medals at Henley Royal Regatta. These three formed part of the crew that won the Grand Challenge Cup at Henley in 1857. LRC is the second oldest of the non-academic type in London; the oldest is Poplar Blackwall and District Rowing Club having taken that status from Leander Club which gradually migrated from 1897 to 1961 to Henley on Thames in Oxfordshire.It is one of the seven founding clubs of the Remenham Club at Henley and was one of five clubs which retained the right to appoint representatives directly to the Council of British Rowing. This right was removed from those five clubs in September 2012.
The Clocktower Distance: 0.5 miTourist Information 853A Fulham Road London, United Kingdom SW65HJ