EuroZoid
Discover The Most Popular Places In Europe

Palazzo Grazioli, Rome | Tourist Information


Via del Plebiscito, 102
Rome, Italy 00186


Historical Place Near Palazzo Grazioli

Terme Di Caracalla
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
Via delle Terme di Caracalla, 52
Rome, 00153

Piazza Cavalieri Di Malta
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Piazza dei Cavalieri di Malta
Rome, 00153

Celio - Roma
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Viale di Parco del Celio
Rome, 00184

Circo Massimo
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Via del Circo Massimo
Rome, 00153

Circus Maximus
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Via del Circo Massimo
Rome, 00153

The Circus Maximus is an ancient Roman chariot racing stadium and mass entertainment venue located in Rome, Italy. Situated in the valley between the Aventine and Palatine hills, it was the first and largest stadium in ancient Rome and its later Empire. It measured 621 m in length and 118 m in width and could accommodate over 150,000 spectators. In its fully developed form, it became the model for circuses throughout the Roman Empire. The site is now a public park.Events and usesThe Circus was Rome's largest venue for ludi, public games connected to Roman religious festivals. Ludi were sponsored by leading Romans or the Roman state for the benefit of the Roman people (populus Romanus) and gods. Most were held annually or at annual intervals on the Roman calendar. Others might be given to fulfill a religious vow, such as the games in celebration of a triumph. The earliest known triumph ludi at the Circus were vowed by Tarquin the Proud to Jupiter in the late Regal era for his victory over Pometia.

Circus Maximus
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Via del Circo Massimo
Rome, 00153

Il Circo Massimo è un antico circo romano, dedicato alle corse di cavalli, costruito a Roma. Situato nella valle tra il Palatino e l'Aventino, è ricordato come sede di giochi sin dagli inizi della storia della città: nella valle sarebbe avvenuto il mitico episodio del ratto delle Sabine, in occasione dei giochi indetti da Romolo in onore del dio Consus. Di certo l'ampio spazio pianeggiante e la sua prossimità all'approdo del Tevere dove dall'antichità più remota si svolgevano gli scambi commerciali, fecero sì che il luogo costituisse fin dalla fondazione della città lo spazio elettivo in cui condurre attività di mercato e di scambi con altre popolazioni, e – di conseguenza – anche le connesse attività rituali (si pensi all'Ara massima di Ercole) e di socializzazione, come giochi e gare.Con i suoi 600 metri di lunghezza e 140 di larghezza, è considerata la più grande struttura per spettacoli costruita dall'uomo.StoriaLe prime installazioni in legno, probabilmente in gran parte mobili, risalirebbero all'epoca di Tarquinio Prisco, nella prima metà del VI secolo a.C. La costruzione di primi impianti stabili risalirebbe al 329 a.C., quando furono edificati i primi carceres. Le prime strutture in muratura, soprattutto legate alle attrezzature per le gare, si ebbero probabilmente solo nel II secolo a.C. e fu Gaio Giulio Cesare a costruire i primi sedili in muratura e a dare la forma definitiva all'edificio, a partire dal 46 a.C.

villa aurelia - American Accademy
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
Largo di Porta San Pancrazio, 1
Rome, 00153

Palatine Hill
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Via di San Gregorio
Rome, 00186

The Palatine Hill is the centermost of the Seven Hills of Rome and is one of the most ancient parts of the city. It stands 40 metres above the Roman Forum, looking down upon it on one side, and upon the Circus Maximus on the other.It is the etymological origin of the word palace and its cognates in other languages (Italian palazzo, French palais, German Palast, Czech palác, etc.).EtymologyAccording to Livy (59 BC - AD 17) the Palatine hill got its name from the Arcadian settlement of Pallantium. More likely, it is derived from the noun palātum "palate"; Ennius uses it once for the "heaven", and it may be connected with the Etruscan word for sky, falad.The term palace itself stems from Palatium.MythologyAccording to Roman mythology, the Palatine Hill was the location of the cave, known as the Lupercal, where Romulus and Remus were found by the she-wolf Lupa that kept them alive. According to this legend, the shepherd Faustulus thereafter found the infants, and with his wife Acca Larentia raised the children. When they were older, the boys killed their great-uncle (who seized the throne from their grandfather), and they both decided to build a new city of their own on the banks of the River Tiber.

Basilica San Clemente
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
Piazza di San Clemente
Rome, 00184

+39 067740021

Entrance to the Upper Basilica is free. Admission prices to the Excavations (Scavi) are listed on our website.

Basilica di San Clemente
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
Via Labicana 95, ROMA, RM, Italia
Rome, 00184

Arco di Costantino
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Via di San Gregorio
Rome, 00186

L'arco di Costantino è un arco trionfale a tre fornici, situato a Roma, a breve distanza dal Colosseo. Oltre alla notevole importanza storica come monumento, l'Arco può essere considerato come un vero e proprio museo di scultura romana ufficiale, straordinario per ricchezza e importanza. Le dimensioni generali del prospetto sono di 21 m di altezza, 25,9 metri di larghezza e 7,4 m di profondità.

Arch of Constantine
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo
Rome, 00184

The Arch of Constantine is a triumphal arch in Rome, situated between the Colosseum and the Palatine Hill. It was erected by the Roman Senate to commemorate Constantine I's victory over Maxentius at the Battle of Milvian Bridge in 312. Dedicated in 315, it is the largest Roman triumphal arch. The arch spans the Via triumphalis, the way taken by the emperors when they entered the city in triumph.Though dedicated to Constantine, much of the decorative material incorporated earlier work from the time of the emperors Trajan, Hadrian and Marcus Aurelius, and is thus a collage. The last of the existing triumphal arches in Rome, it is also the only one to make extensive use of spolia, reusing several major reliefs from 2nd century imperial monuments, which give a striking and famous stylistic contrast to the sculpture newly created for the arch. This earned it the derisive nickname of Cornacchia di Esopo Aesop's Crow.The arch is 21 m high, 25.9 m wide and 7.4 m deep. It has three archways, the central one being 11.5 m high and 6.5 m wide and the lateral archways 7.4 m by 3.4 m each. Above the archways is placed the attic, composed of brickwork reveted with marble. A staircase within the arch is entered from a door at some height from the ground, on the west side, facing the Palatine Hill. The general design with a main part structured by detached columns and an attic with the main inscription above is modelled after the example of the Arch of Septimius Severus on the Roman Forum.

Colosseo di Roma
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo, 1
Rome, 00198

0559757007

Colosseum
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Colosseo
Rome, 00184

The Colosseum or Coliseum, also known as the Flavian Amphitheatre, is an oval amphitheatre in the centre of the city of Rome, Italy. Built of concrete and sand, it is the largest amphitheatre ever built. The Colosseum is situated just east of the Roman Forum. Construction began under the emperor Vespasian in AD 72, and was completed in AD 80 under his successor and heir Titus. Further modifications were made during the reign of Domitian (81–96). These three emperors are known as the Flavian dynasty, and the amphitheatre was named in Latin for its association with their family name (Flavius).The Colosseum could hold, it is estimated, between 50,000 and 80,000 spectators, having an average audience of some 65,000; it was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles such as mock sea battles (for only a short time as the hypogeum was soon filled in with mechanisms to support the other activities), animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Classical mythology. The building ceased to be used for entertainment in the early medieval era. It was later reused for such purposes as housing, workshops, quarters for a religious order, a fortress, a quarry, and a Christian shrine.

The Colloseum, Rome Italy
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
crr
Rome, 00184

Tiber Island
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza di San Bartolomeo all'isola, 22
Rome, 00153

The Tiber Island is the only island in the Tiber river which runs through Rome. Tiber island is located in the southern bend of the Tiber.The island is boat-shaped, approximately 270m long and 67m wide, and has been connected with bridges to both sides of the river since antiquity. Being a seat of the ancient temple of Asclepius and later a hospital, the island is associated with medicine and healing.HistoryThe island has been linked to the rest of Rome by two bridges since antiquity, and was once called Insula Inter-Duos-Pontes which means "the island between the two bridges". The Ponte Fabricio, the only original bridge in Rome, connects the island from the northeast to the Field of Mars in the rione Sant'Angelo (left bank). The Ponte Cestio, of which only some original parts survived, connects the island to Trastevere on the south (right bank).There is a legend which says that after the fall of the hated tyrant Tarquinius Superbus (510 BC), the angry Romans threw his body into the Tiber. His body then settled onto the bottom where dirt and silt accumulated around it and eventually formed Tiber Island. Another version of the legend says that the people gathered up the wheat and grain of their despised ruler and threw it into the Tiber, where it eventually became the foundation of the island.

Temple of Venus and Roma
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo Roma
Rome,

The Temple of Venus and Roma Latin: Templum Veneris et Romae is thought to have been the largest temple in Ancient Rome. Located on the Velian Hill, between the eastern edge of the Forum Romanum and the Colosseum, it was dedicated to the goddesses Venus Felix ("Venus the Bringer of Good Fortune") and Roma Aeterna ("Eternal Rome"). The architect was the emperor Hadrian and construction began in 121. It was officially inaugurated by Hadrian in 135, and finished in 141 under Antoninus Pius. Damaged by fire in 307, it was restored with alterations by the emperor Maxentius.HistoryIn order to build the temple, erected on the remnants of the porticoed vestibule to Emperor Nero's Domus Aurea, the Colossus of Nero was moved and placed near the amphitheatre, which shortly afterwards became known as the Colosseum. Unimpressed by his emperor's architectural skills, Hadrian's most brilliant architect, Apollodorus, made a scornful remark on the size of the seated statues within the cellae, saying that they would surely hurt their heads if they tried to stand up from their thrones. Apollodorus was banished and executed not long after this.

Colosseo
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo
Rome, 00185

Fori Imperiali Colosseo - Roma
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Via dei Fori Imperiali
Rome, 00186

Colosseo
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo
Rome, 00184

Janiculum
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
Passeggiata del Gianicolo
Rome, 00165

The Janiculum is a hill in western Rome, Italy. Although the second-tallest hill (the tallest being Monte Mario) in the contemporary city of Rome, the Janiculum does not figure among the proverbial Seven Hills of Rome, being west of the Tiber and outside the boundaries of the ancient city.SightsThe Janiculum is one of the best locations in Rome for a scenic view of central Rome with its domes and bell towers. Other sights on the Janiculum include the church of San Pietro in Montorio, on what was formerly thought to be the site of St Peter's crucifixion; a small shrine known as the Tempietto, designed by Donato Bramante, marks the supposed site of Peter's death. The Janiculum also houses a Baroque fountain built by Pope Paul V in the late 17th century, the Fontana dell'Acqua Paola, and several foreign research institutions, including the American Academy in Rome and the Spanish Academy in Rome. The Hill is also the location of The American University of Rome, Pontifical Urban University, and Pontifical North American College, as well as the Orto Botanico dell'Università di Roma "La Sapienza" and the Palazzo Montorio, residence of the Ambassadors of Spain.

Piazza Del Gianicolo
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
piazza fiuseppe garibaldi
Rome, 00153

Trastevere App
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
vicolo moroni 47
Rome, 00153

3884775044

Trastevere, XIII Rione di Roma , la pagina esplora il suo passato e presente con foto e post nel sito. Organizzazione visite guidate

Ponte Sisto
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Ponte Sisto
Rome, 00153

Ponte Sisto is a bridge in Rome's historic centre, spanning the river Tiber. It connects Via dei Pettinari in the Rione of Regola to Piazza Trilussa in Trastevere. The construction of the current bridge occurred between 1473 and 1479, and was commissioned by Pope Sixtus IV (r. 1471-84), after whom it is named, from the architect Baccio Pontelli, who reused the foundations of a prior Roman bridge, the Pons Aurelius, which had been destroyed during the early Middle Ages. Currently traffic on the bridge is restricted to pedestrians.Roman Pons AureliusThe predecessor bridge to Ponte Sisto, the Pons Aurelius, was first mentioned by authors in the 4th and 5th centuries and was later known in the Middle Ages as "Pons Antoninus", "Pons Antonini in Arenula", and "Pons Ianicularis id est pons ruptus vulgariter nominatus et Tremelus et Antoninus".The Pons Antoninus was partially destroyed in 772, at the time the Lombard king Desiderius took Rome, and rebuilt in its current form by Pope Sixtus IV, whose name it carries to this day.Renaissance Ponte SistoThe bridge is architecturally characteristic because of the circular "oculus" or eye lightening the masonry of its central spandrel: this was erected to diminish the river's pressure on the bridge in case of flood.On the left bridge head are placed the copies of two marble slabs (removed in the 1990s after continued vandalism) bearing an elegant Latin inscription composed by Renaissance humanist Bartolomeo Platina in honour of Sixtus IV in occasion of the construction of the bridge. They recite:

Ponte Sisto
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Via dei Pettinari 64
Rome, 00153

Ponte Sisto, noto anche come pons Agrippae, pons Aurelius, pons Antonini, pons Valentiniani o ponte Gianicolense, è un ponte che collega piazza S. Vincenzo Pallotti a piazza Trilussa, a Roma, nei rioni Regola e Trastevere.DescrizioneIl ponte fu costruito per permettere l'attraversamento del Tevere da papa Sisto IV tra il 1473 e il 1479 sul sito di un più antico ponte romano. Collega le due rive del fiume fra via del Pettinari e piazza Trilussa.Un primo ponte venne costruito da Agrippa, amico e genero dell'imperatore Augusto prima della sua morte nel 12 a.C., probabilmente per mettere in collegamento le sue proprietà sulle opposte rive del Tevere. L'esistenza di questo ponte è attestata dall'iscrizione su un cippo dei magistrati che si occupavano del fiume (curatores Tiberis) scoperto nel 1887, che parla di lavori sul ponte all'epoca dell'imperatore Claudio. Il ponte fu in un primo momento identificato con resti di piloni visibili nel fiume a valle di ponte Sisto, che appartengono invece probabilmente ad una fortificazione tarda del fiume. Un frammento dei Fasti ostiensi scoperto nel 1938 e che parla di restauri al ponte di Agrippa sotto Antonino Pio, ha permesso di identificarlo con il "ponte Aurelio" o "ponte di Antonino". Dalla posizione, in quanto permetteva di raggiungere il Gianicolo ebbe anche il nome di "ponte Gianicolense".

Roman Ghetto
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via Catalana
Rome, 00186

The Roman Ghetto or Ghetto of Rome, Ghetto di Roma, was a Jewish ghetto established in 1555 in the Rione Sant'Angelo, in Rome, Italy, in the area surrounded by present-day Via del Portico d'Ottavia, Lungotevere dei Cenci, Via del Progresso and Via di Santa Maria del Pianto, close to the River Tiber and the Theatre of Marcellus. With the exception of brief periods under Napoleon from 1808 to 1815 and under the Roman Republics of 1798-99 and 1849, the ghetto of Rome was controlled by the papacy until the capture of Rome in 1870.

Temple of Saturn
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via Sacra, Roman Forum
Rome, 00187

The Temple of Saturn is a temple to the god Saturn in ancient Rome. The original dedication of a temple to Saturn was traditionally dated to 497 BC, but ancient writers disagreed greatly about the history of this site. The ruins of the temple stand at the foot of the Capitoline Hill in the western end of the Forum Romanum.ArchaeologyGradual collapse has left nothing but the remains of the front portico standing. The partially preserved pediment displays the inscription Senatus Populusque Romanus incendio consumptum restituit, meaning "The Senate and People of Rome have restored consumed by fire". The pediment and eight surviving columns represent one of the iconic images of Rome's ancient architectural heritage.HistoryConstruction of the temple is thought to have begun in the later years of the Roman Kingdom under Tarquinius Superbus. Its inauguration by the Consul Titus Lartius took place in the early years of the Republic. The temple was completely reconstructed by Munatius Plancus in 42 BC.

Landmark Near Palazzo Grazioli

Santa Maria dell'Orto
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Via Anicia
Rome, Italy 00153

Santa Maria dell'Orto is a Roman Catholic church in the Rione of Trastevere in Rome (Italy). It is the national church of Japan in Rome.HistoryThe church rises in the middle of the area that, since about 508 BC, was called Prata Mutia . This refers to the plot of land where the Etruscan king Porsena had set his encampment, and that later the Roman Senate donated to Mucius Scaevola as a sign of gratitude of Rome for his heroic act. The origins of the church are associated to a miracle, that is supposed to have happened circa 1488. A sick farmer, afflicted with a serious palsy according to oral history, was healed after praying a picture of the Virgin Mary painted close to the entrance to his own market garden. The event led to popular worship for the picture, and subsequently a small votive chapel was erected, soon followed by a greater church, funded by 12 professional associations . In 1492 Pope Alexander VI allowed the establishment of a confraternity and in 1588 Pope Sixtus V declared it "Archconfraternity" and bestowed on it the rare privilege to ask once a year – during the titular feast – the pardon of a man condemned to death. During the 1825 Jubilee, as attested by Gaetano Moroni in his Dictionary of historic-ecclesiastical erudition, it was eventually honored with the title of Venerable.

Bocca della Verità
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Via della Greca, 4
Rome, Italy 00186

La Bocca della Verità is an image, carved from Pavonazzo marble, of a man-like face, located in the portico of the church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin in Rome, Italy. The sculpture is thought to be part of a first-century ancient Roman fountain, or perhaps a manhole cover, portraying one of several possible pagan gods, probably Oceanus. Most Romans believe that the 'Bocca' represents the ancient god of the river Tiber.The most famous characteristic of the Mouth, however, is its role as a lie detector. Starting from the Middle Ages, it was believed that if one told a lie with one's hand in the mouth of the sculpture, it would be bitten off. There was also a medieval legend, wrongly believed to originate with the Roman poet Virgil, of an adulterous empress who managed to deceive her husband in a trial using the Mouth. This is an infrequent subject in medieval and Renaissance art, forming part of the Power of Women literary topos. The piece was placed in the portico of the Santa Maria in Cosmedin in the 17th century. This church is also home to the relics of Saint Valentine.

Sant'Omobono Area
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Vico Jugario 4
Rome, Italy 00186

Die Area sacra di Sant’Omobono ist eine beim Kapitolinischen Hügel befindliche Ausgrabungsstätte in Rom, die nach der dort stehenden Kirche Sant’Omobono benannt ist.LageDie Area sacra liegt südwestlich des Kapitolinischen Hügels am Übergang zur ehemals moorastigen Talsohle, die sich zum Tiber hin öffnet. Sie befindet sich unmittelbar südlich des vicus Iugarius, der – leicht erhöht – entlang des Kapitolinischen Hügels das Forum Romanum durch die Porta Carmentalis mit dem Forum Holitorium und im weiteren Verlauf mit dem Tiberhafen verband. Vermutlich gehörte der Bereich noch zur Regio VIII des antiken Rom.AusgrabungsgeschichteSchon 1937 wurden bei Bauarbeiten die Reste zweier Tempel aus dem 3. Jahrhundert v. Chr. freigelegt und es wurde bereits erkannt, dass sie auf den noch älteren Fundamenten eines Tempels aus dem 6. Jahrhundert v. Chr. errichtet worden waren.Zwischen 1959 und 1964, in den 1970er Jahren und im Jahr 1986 wurde mehrfach versucht, das Areal komplett freizulegen, was jedoch an den Herausforderungen des Grundwasser führenden Terrains scheiterte. Trotzdem konnte mittels Sondagen die Geschichte des heiligen Bezirks weiter geklärt werden.Seit 2010 führen Vertreter der italienischen Denkmalschutzbehörde zusammen mit Vertretern der Universitäten von Michigan und Kalabrien kontinuierliche Untersuchungen in dem Areal durch.

Ponte Sisto
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Ponte Sisto
Rome, Italy 00153

Ponte Sisto is a bridge in Rome's historic centre, spanning the river Tiber. It connects Via dei Pettinari in the Rione of Regola to Piazza Trilussa in Trastevere. The construction of the current bridge occurred between 1473 and 1479, and was commissioned by Pope Sixtus IV (r. 1471-84), after whom it is named, from the architect Baccio Pontelli, who reused the foundations of a prior Roman bridge, the Pons Aurelius, which had been destroyed during the early Middle Ages. Currently traffic on the bridge is restricted to pedestrians.Roman Pons AureliusThe predecessor bridge to Ponte Sisto, the Pons Aurelius, was first mentioned by authors in the 4th and 5th centuries and was later known in the Middle Ages as "Pons Antoninus", "Pons Antonini in Arenula", and "Pons Ianicularis id est pons ruptus vulgariter nominatus et Tremelus et Antoninus".The Pons Antoninus was partially destroyed in 772, at the time the Lombard king Desiderius took Rome, and rebuilt in its current form by Pope Sixtus IV, whose name it carries to this day.Renaissance Ponte SistoThe bridge is architecturally characteristic because of the circular "oculus" or eye lightening the masonry of its central spandrel: this was erected to diminish the river's pressure on the bridge in case of flood.On the left bridge head are placed the copies of two marble slabs (removed in the 1990s after continued vandalism) bearing an elegant Latin inscription composed by Renaissance humanist Bartolomeo Platina in honour of Sixtus IV in occasion of the construction of the bridge. They recite:

Roman Ghetto
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via Catalana
Rome, Italy 00186

The Roman Ghetto or Ghetto of Rome, Ghetto di Roma, was a Jewish ghetto established in 1555 in the Rione Sant'Angelo, in Rome, Italy, in the area surrounded by present-day Via del Portico d'Ottavia, Lungotevere dei Cenci, Via del Progresso and Via di Santa Maria del Pianto, close to the River Tiber and the Theatre of Marcellus. With the exception of brief periods under Napoleon from 1808 to 1815 and under the Roman Republics of 1798-99 and 1849, the ghetto of Rome was controlled by the papacy until the capture of Rome in 1870.

Piazza Del Campidoglio
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Campidoglio
Rome, Italy 00186

Trajan's Forum
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Campus Martius
Rome, Italy 00187

Trajan's Forum was the last of the Imperial fora to be constructed in ancient Rome. The architect Apollodorus of Damascus oversaw its construction.HistoryThis forum was built on the order of the emperor Trajan with the spoils of war from the conquest of Dacia, which ended in 106. The Fasti Ostienses state that the Forum was inaugurated in 112, while Trajan's Column was erected and then inaugurated in 113.To build this monumental complex, extensive excavations were required: workers eliminated the sides of the Quirinal and Capitoline (Campidoglio) Hills, which closed the valley occupied by the Imperial forums toward the Campus Martius.It is possible that the excavations were initiated under Emperor Domitian, while the project of the Forum was completely attributed to the architect Apollodorus of Damascus, who also accompanied Emperor Trajan in the Dacian campaign.During the time of the construction, several other projects took place: the construction of the Markets of Trajan, and the renovation of the Caesar's Forum (where the Basilica Argentaria was built) and the Temple of Venus Genetrix.

Church of the Gesù
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Via degli Astalli 16
Rome, Italy 00186

The Church of the Gesù is the mother church of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits), a Catholic religious order. Officially named Chiesa del Santissimo Nome di Gesù all'Argentina (Church of the Most Holy Name of Jesus at the "Argentina"), its facade is "the first truly baroque façade", introducing the baroque style into architecture. The church served as model for innumerable Jesuit churches all over the world, especially in the Americas. The Church of the Gesù is located in the Piazza del Gesù in Rome.First conceived in 1551 by Saint Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Jesuits Society of Jesus, and active during the Protestant Reformation and the subsequent Catholic Reformation, the Gesù was also the home of the Superior General of the Society of Jesus until the suppression of the order in 1773. The church having been subsequently regained by the Jesuits, the adjacent palazzo is now a residence for Jesuit scholars from around the world studying at the Gregorian University in preparation for ordination to the priesthood.

Largo di Torre Argentina
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Largo di Torre Argentina
Rome, Italy 00186

Novarcheos SPQR
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
VIA QUATTRO NOVEMBRE 99
Rome, Italy 00187

06.67.89.317

Novarcheos
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
VIA IV NOVEMBRE 99
Rome, Italy 00187

06.67.89.317

LIBRERIA ZALIB
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
via della gatta, 1b
Rome, Italy 00186

0683779128

Roman College
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
via del Collegio Romano 27
Rome, Italy

El Collegio Romano fue creado por San Ignacio de Loyola en 1550, luego de la fundación de la Compañía de Jesús (1534), con el objetivo de cubrir todo el periodo formativo, desde los estudios elementales a los universitarios.HistoriaGracias a la voluntad del Papa Gregorio XIII fue construida su sede definitiva, entre 1582 y 1584, en el rione Pigna, en la plaza conocida entonces como Campo Camilliano, que a partir de 1584 se llama plaza del Collegio Romano.El Collegio Romano fue, entre otras cosas, teatro de grandes debates entre Galileo Galilei y Paolo Segneri. Por él pasaron también, Giuseppe Calandrelli (fundador del observatorio astronómico del Collegio, en 1787) y Angelo Secchi, célebre astrónomo y director del observatorio desde 1850. Fue sede, además sede del Museo Kircheriano, del cual aún conserva parte de la colección.Entre 1876 y 1931 el Collegio Romano fue la sede del Regio Ufficio Centrale di Meteorologia, núcleo central del actual servicio de meteorología de la Fuerza Aérea Italiana.Actualmente, el ala oriental del palacio es ocupada por el Ministerio de los Bienes y las Actividades Culturales de Italia, y el ala que asoma en la plaza homónima, es ocupada por el Liceo clásico estatal Ennio Quirino Visconti

Santa Maria sopra Minerva
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Minerva 42
Rome, Italy 00186

06 69 92 03 84

Santa Maria sopra Minerva is one of the major churches of the Roman Catholic Order of Preachers in Rome, Italy. The church's name derives from the fact that the first Christian church structure on the site was built directly over the ruins or foundations of a temple dedicated to the Egyptian goddess Isis, which had been erroneously ascribed to the Greco-Roman goddess Minerva.The church is located in Piazza della Minerva one block behind the Pantheon in the Pigna rione of Rome within the ancient district known as the Campus Martius. The present church and disposition of surrounding structures is visible in a detail from the Nolli Map of 1748.While many other medieval churches in Rome have been given Baroque makeovers that cover Gothic structures, the Minerva is the only extant example of original Gothic church building in Rome. Behind a restrained Renaissance style façade the Gothic interior features arched vaulting that was painted blue with gilded stars and trimmed with brilliant red ribbing in a 19th-century Neo-Gothic restoration.

Santi Apostoli, Rome
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Piazza dei Santi Apostoli
Rome, Italy 00187

La basilica dei Santi XII Apostoli è un luogo di culto cattolico del centro storico di Roma situato nel rione Trevi nell'omonima Piazza Santi Apostoli. Ha la dignità di basilica minore.StoriaIn questo luogo, nel secolo IV papa Giulio I fece costruire una chiesa che venne chiamata Basilica Iulia dal nome del fondatore. La basilica viene già citata in testi del secolo V con la qualifica di "titulus apostolorum". In età bizantina, sui resti della chiesa originaria venne ricostruita una nuova basilica con pianta a croce greca, la cui edificazione fu poi proseguita da papa Pelagio I sotto il regno Narsete, nel VI secolo. La basilica conserva le reliquie degli apostoli Filippo e Giacomo il Minore.Quella dei Santi Apostoli è l'unica basilica di Roma che non sia stata edificata su edifici romani preesistenti, anche se furono precocemente utilizzati materiali di spoglio (si pensa provenienti dalle terme di Costantino, e non, come vuole una leggenda, dal vicino Foro di Traiano). Il modello architettonico della chiesa originale era quello a pianta centrale del bizantino Apostoleion di Costantinopoli

Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Corso del Rinascimento 40
Rome, Italy 00186

Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza is a Roman Catholic church in Rome. Built in 1642-1660 by the architect Francesco Borromini, the church is a masterpiece of Roman Baroque architecture.The church is at the rear of a courtyard at 40, Corso del Rinascimento; the complex is now used by the Archives of the City of Rome.HistoryIn the 14th century, there was a chapel here for the palace of the University of Rome. The University is called La Sapienza, and the church was dedicated to Saint Yves (patron saint of jurists). When a design was commissioned from Borromini in the 17th century, he adapted to the already existing palazzo. He choose a plan resembling a star of David - which would have been recognized at the time as a Star of Solomon, symbolizing wisdom - and merged a curved facade of the church with the courtyard of the palace. The corkscrew lantern of the dome was novel. The complex rhythms of the interior have a dazzling geometry to them.The main artwork of the interior is the altarpiece by Pietro da Cortona, portraying St. Yves.ExteriorThe church rises at the end of a courtyard, known as the courtyard of Giacomo della Porta. The façade is concave, molding the church into the courtyard as if completing it rather than disrupting it. The façade itself looks like a continuation of the courtyard arches except with the openings filled in with small windows, a door, and a larger glass window above the door. Above the façade is a large parapet structure so that only the higher stages of the church is seen past the façade. A key exterior aspect is the top of the church: the lantern of Sant'Ivo is topped with a spiral shape, surmounted by a Cross.

"Vacanze Romane"
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Via in Caterina, 81
Rome, Italy 00186

3921115933

L'appartamento si trova a soli 1 minuto da Piazza Farnese, 2 minuti da Campo de' Fiori, 10 minuti da Piazza Navona, in Via in Caterina, una piccola traversa di una delle vie più belle ed eleganti, Via Giulia . Siamo nel cuore del centro storico di Roma, l'abitazione è ottimamente collegata dai mezzi pubblici e ubicata in una posizione davvero strategica e ideale per visitare la città eterna. I vicoli a pochi passi dall'appartamento presentano numerose boutiques d'abbigliamento, ristoranti e locali notturni. la dolce vita : IDEM st. john's house dietro il colosseo x 4/5 persone sopra a san Pietro: appartamento per 4/6 persone The apartment is located only 1 minute from Piazza Farnese, 2 minutes from Campo de 'Fiori, 10 minutes from Piazza Navona, Via in Catherine, a small side of one of the most beautiful and elegant Via Giulia. We are in the heart of Rome's historic center, the house is very well connected by public transport and is located in a strategic position ideal for visiting the Eternal City. The lanes are a short walk from numerous clothing boutiques, restaurants and nightclubs.

Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Navona
Rome, Italy 00186

Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi is a fountain in the Piazza Navona in Rome, Italy. It was designed in 1651 by Gian Lorenzo Bernini for Pope Innocent X whose family palace, the Palazzo Pamphili, faced onto the piazza as did the church of Sant'Agnese in Agone of which Innocent was the sponsor.The base of the fountain is a basin from the centre of which travertine rocks rise to support four river gods and above them, an ancient Egyptian obelisk surmounted with the Pamphili family emblem of a dove with an olive twig. Collectively, they represent four major rivers of the four continents through which papal authority had spread: the Nile representing Africa, the Danube representing Europe, the Ganges representing Asia, and the Río de la Plata representing the Americas.DesignBernini's design was selected in competition. The circumstances of his victory are described as follows in Filippo Baldinucci's The life of Cavaliere Bernini (1682):Public fountains in Rome served multiple purposes: first, they were highly needed sources of water for neighbors in the centuries prior to home plumbing. Second, they were monuments to the papal patrons. Earlier Bernini fountains had been the Fountain of the Triton in Piazza Barberini, the Fountain of the Moor in the southern end of Piazza Navona erected during the Barberini papacy, and the Neptune and Triton for Villa Peretti Montalto, whose statuary now resides at Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

Palazzo Madama
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Madama 11
Rome, Italy 00186

3348166150

Palazzo Madama in Rome is the seat of the Senate of the Italian Republic.It was built atop the ruins of the ancient baths of Nero, next to Piazza Navona. The terrain had been acquired in the Middle Ages by the monks of the Abbey of Farfa, who later ceded it to France.The new building was begun at the end of the 15th century and completed in 1505, for the Medici family. It housed two Medici cardinals and cousins, Giovanni and Giulio, who both later became popes as Leo X and Clement VII, respectively. Catherine de' Medici, Clement VII's niece, also lived here before she was married to Henry, son of King Francis I of France in 1533. Cardinal Francesco Maria Del Monte, patron of the artist Caravaggio, lived there until his death in 1627.The palace takes its name from Madama Margherita of Austria, illegitimate daughter of Emperor Charles V, who married another illegitimate son, Alessandro de' Medici and, after his death, Ottavio Farnese. Thus part of the art collection of the Florentine Medici family was inherited by the Farnese family.

Pantheon
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Rotonda
Rome, Italy 00186

0698875854

Appena entrate alzate gli occhi al cielo, un fascio di sole catturerà la vostra attenzione, uno spettacolare raggio di luce filtra obliquo attraverso l’oculus, l’apertura circolare larga 9 m sulla sommità della cupola, illuminando l’intero edificio. In caso di pioggia riparatevi e osservate l’acqua che cade giù prima di sparire nei 22 fori quasi invisibili del pavimento. Dedicato al culto di tutti gli dei (Pan- tutti Theon- divinità), il Pantheon fu costruito dall’imperatore Adriano tra il 118 e il 125 d.c. sui resti di un precedente tempio del 27 a.c. di cui porta ancora l’iscrizione e consacrato come chiesa cristiana nel 609 con il nome di Santa Maria ad Martyres. Nel 1870 è divenuto sacrario dei re d’Italia, e accoglie, le spoglie di Vittorio Emanuele II, Umberto I e Margherita di Savoia. Vi è anche sepolto il sommo artista rinascimentale Raffaello Sanzio.