EuroZoid
Discover The Most Popular Places In Europe

Place de l'Opéra, Paris | Tourist Information


Place de l'opéra
Paris, France 75009


La place de l'Opéra est une place de Paris située dans le arrondissement, devant le Palais Garnier et au carrefour du boulevard des Italiens, du boulevard des Capucines, de l'avenue de l'Opéra, de la rue Auber, de la rue Halévy, de la rue de la Paix et de la rue du Quatre-Septembre.Ce site est desservi par la station de métro Opéra.HistoireÀ l'époque de sa création, en même temps que celle de l'Opéra de Charles Garnier, cette place a comme intérêt majeur de donner au piéton le recul suffisant pour admirer la façade principale de l'édifice. Elle fait aussi partie des transformations de l'urbanisme de la capitale, voulues par Napoléon III et concrétisées par le baron Haussmann, pour faciliter les circulations de toutes sortes.L'endroit prend une importance particulière avec le passage de plusieurs lignes du métropolitain. À l'aube du, une polémique naît. Nous sommes alors en plein essor de l'« Art nouveau » face à l'académisme ambiant et le choix de l'artiste devant les réaliser se révèle problématique. Les sorties « doivent être aussi majestueuses que le monument qu'elles desservent ». Un des premiers consultés est tout naturellement Hector Guimard, lequel réalise toutes les commandes du genre pour la ville. Après de nombreux débats, la hauteur et le style de la gare conçue par l'architecte sont jugés en total désaccord avec ceux de l'Opéra. Le projet d'une station aérienne à structure métallique fait rapidement place aux discrètes bouches sortant des deux terre-pleins centraux que nous connaissons aujourd'hui.

Landmark Near Place de l'Opéra

Paris, France
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Paris
Paris, France Paris

Parc Des Buttes- Chaumont
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
75019
Paris, France 75019

Olympia (Paris)
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
28 boulevard des Capucines
Paris, France 75009

08.92.68.33.68

L’Olympia est une salle de spectacle située 28, boulevard des Capucines, dans le arrondissement de Paris. C'est le plus ancien music-hall de Paris encore en activité. Elle est propriété du groupe Vivendi depuis 2001.HistoireLes débutsEn 1888, Joseph Oller - le fondateur du Pari Mutuel et du Moulin Rouge - pose ses montagnes russes dans la cour d'un bâtiment donnant sur le 28, boulevard des Capucines. Le préfet de police Henri Lozé, craignant l'incendie des montagnes russes bâties en bois, demande la fermeture de l'attraction. Oller procède donc à la démolition des montagnes russes et fait édifier une salle de spectacle de 2000 places : l'Olympia.L'inauguration a lieu le 12 avril 1893, avec comme toutes premières vedettes La Goulue (danseuse de cancan), Loïe Fuller (danseuse américaine) et Fregoli (transformiste).Les frères Isola dirigent l'établissement de 1898 à 1911. Les attractions foraines (acrobates, contorsionnistes, etc) occupent la scène. De 1911 à 1914, Jacques Charles y monte des revues de music-hall, Mistinguett et Yvonne Printemps s'y produisent. En 1916 Raphaël Beretta et Léon Volterra en prennent la direction. Pendant la Première Guerre mondiale la salle ferme ses portes.

Olympia (Paris)
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
28 boulevard des Capucines
Paris, France 75009

08.92.68.33.68

L’Olympia est une salle de spectacle située 28, boulevard des Capucines, dans le arrondissement de Paris. C'est le plus ancien music-hall de Paris encore en activité. Elle est propriété du groupe Vivendi depuis 2001.HistoireLes débutsEn 1888, Joseph Oller - le fondateur du Pari Mutuel et du Moulin Rouge - pose ses montagnes russes dans la cour d'un bâtiment donnant sur le 28, boulevard des Capucines. Le préfet de police Henri Lozé, craignant l'incendie des montagnes russes bâties en bois, demande la fermeture de l'attraction. Oller procède donc à la démolition des montagnes russes et fait édifier une salle de spectacle de 2000 places : l'Olympia.L'inauguration a lieu le 12 avril 1893, avec comme toutes premières vedettes La Goulue (danseuse de cancan), Loïe Fuller (danseuse américaine) et Fregoli (transformiste).Les frères Isola dirigent l'établissement de 1898 à 1911. Les attractions foraines (acrobates, contorsionnistes, etc) occupent la scène. De 1911 à 1914, Jacques Charles y monte des revues de music-hall, Mistinguett et Yvonne Printemps s'y produisent. En 1916 Raphaël Beretta et Léon Volterra en prennent la direction. Pendant la Première Guerre mondiale la salle ferme ses portes.

Théâtre Mogador
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
25 Rue de Mogador, 75009 Paris
Paris, France 75009

01 53 32 32 32

Théâtre Mogador founded in 1913 and designed by Bertie Crewe, is a Parisian music hall theatre located at 25, rue de Mogador in the 9th district. It seats 1,800 people on three tiers.In 1913 financier Sir Alfred Butt rented an area in Paris. Built according to English music hall principles and style during World War I, the theatre was originally named the "Palace Theatre", after the like-named one in London, in order to appeal to British soldiers. The name was shortly thereafter changed to "Théâtre Mogador", Mogador being the old name of the town of Essaouira in Morocco. The inauguration guests include President Wilson, in France to negotiate the Treaty of Versailles.It was inaugurated by US president to be Franklin Delano Roosevelt April 1919.From 1920 it was a Cine-variety, and gained fame with the performances of Sergei Diaghilev's "Ballets Russes", and with the Thés Mogador – performances of operettas and plays in the afternoon. Until the seventies, the Théâtre Mogador was mainly used for performances of operettas, including Mistinguett. Marcel Merkès was a regular performer here from the late 1940s to the mid-1970s.An extensive renovation restored the building to new splendour in 1983. In 2005, it was purchased by the Stage Entertainment group (then called the "Stage Holding - The Theatre Group").

Théâtre Mogador
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
25 Rue de Mogador, 75009 Paris
Paris, France 75009

01 53 32 32 32

Théâtre Mogador founded in 1913 and designed by Bertie Crewe, is a Parisian music hall theatre located at 25, rue de Mogador in the 9th district. It seats 1,800 people on three tiers.In 1913 financier Sir Alfred Butt rented an area in Paris. Built according to English music hall principles and style during World War I, the theatre was originally named the "Palace Theatre", after the like-named one in London, in order to appeal to British soldiers. The name was shortly thereafter changed to "Théâtre Mogador", Mogador being the old name of the town of Essaouira in Morocco. The inauguration guests include President Wilson, in France to negotiate the Treaty of Versailles.It was inaugurated by US president to be Franklin Delano Roosevelt April 1919.From 1920 it was a Cine-variety, and gained fame with the performances of Sergei Diaghilev's "Ballets Russes", and with the Thés Mogador – performances of operettas and plays in the afternoon. Until the seventies, the Théâtre Mogador was mainly used for performances of operettas, including Mistinguett. Marcel Merkès was a regular performer here from the late 1940s to the mid-1970s.An extensive renovation restored the building to new splendour in 1983. In 2005, it was purchased by the Stage Entertainment group (then called the "Stage Holding - The Theatre Group").

Opéra
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
Place de l'opéra
Paris, France 75008

0664265620

Opéra is a station of the Paris Métro, named after the nearby Opera Garnier, built by the architect Charles Garnier. It is located at the end of the Avenue de l'Opera, one of the accesses being opposite the Opera, and serves the district of the Boulevard Haussmann. Three Métro lines (3, 7 and 8) cross each other at one point, known as a "well".The station offers a connection to the following stations: Auber on RER line A Haussmann – Saint-Lazare on RER line E Havre – Caumartin on lines 3 and 9 Saint-Augustin on line 9 Saint-Lazare on lines 3, 12, 13 and 14 The station is famous for its strong odors of sewers. When it was being built, there were concerns that one of Hector Guimard's characteristic iron metro entrances would spoil the view of the opera house, so a marble entrance was built instead.

Olympia (Paris)
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
28, Boulevard des Capucines, 9th arrondissement
Paris, France 75009

Olympia is a music hall located in the 9th arrondissement of Paris, France. Located at No. 28, Boulevard des Capucines, its closest métro/RER stations are Madeleine, Opéra, Havre – Caumartin and Auber.HistoryFounded in 1888, by Joseph Oller, the creator of the Moulin Rouge, today easily recognizable by its giant red glowing letters announcing its name. It opened in 1889 as the "Montagnes Russes" but was renamed the Olympia in 1893. Besides musicians, the Olympia played host to a variety of entertainment including circuses, ballets, and operettas. However, following a steady decline in appearances by the great stars, from 1929 until 1944 it served as a movie theater. It may have opened as a music hall under the German occupation of France during World War II, but certainly in 1945 after the Liberation, it was a music hall free to Allied troops in uniform. Attendees had to listen to the playing of four national anthems before the varied programs that always ended with a spirited can-can performed by dancers, some of whom were no longer young. Thereafter, at times it may have reverted to movies again until Bruno Coquatrix revived it as a music hall with a grand re-opening in February 1954. After his death, it ultimately went into another decline and was in danger of being torn down and turned into a parking lot but on 7 January 1993, France's then Minister of Culture, Jack Lang issued a preservation order for the Olympia that resulted in two years of construction work to rebuild a perfect replica of the façade and the grandeur of its famous red interior.

Théâtre Édouard VII
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
10 place Édouard VII
Paris, France 75009

01 47 42 59 92

Le théâtre Édouard VII, appelé aussi théâtre Édouard VII - Sacha Guitry, est situé à Paris entre la Madeleine et l'Opéra Garnier.HistoriqueLe square est ouvert en 1911 par Arthur Millon, fondateur de la Société de la rue Édouard VII, à l’emplacement des remises et des écuries d’une compagnie de fiacres. Il ne pouvait trouver meilleur parrainage que celui du souverain Édouard VII d'Angleterre, dit « le plus parisien des rois anglais », le plus boulevardier de tous, à l’époque où le Boulevard se terminait chez Maxim’s. En bonne logique, c’est un architecte anglais, William Sprague, qui construit une salle de spectacle au centre de la place en 1913.C'est tout d'abord un cinéma, exploité par un pionnier de l'industrie cinématographique, Charles Urban, qui y présente le Kinémacolor. Puis il cède la place aux représentations théâtrales en 1916 avec pour premier directeur Alphonse Franck, ancien directeur du Théâtre des Capucines et du Théâtre du Gymnase qui a racheté la salle en 1914.Avec Sacha Guitry, une histoire d'amourEn octobre 1920, une déclaration d’amour attire le public au théâtre Édouard VII : Je t'aime. Sacha Guitry se déclarait ainsi à Yvonne Printemps. Et tout Paris constate, ravi, cet amour « Nul printemps n’est plus délicieux que celui de Paris, mais quand il s’appelle Yvonne, il devient incomparable... il est impossible d’incarner plus exactement Paris ».

Théâtre Édouard VII
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
10 place Édouard VII
Paris, France 75009

01 47 42 59 92

Le théâtre Édouard VII, appelé aussi théâtre Édouard VII - Sacha Guitry, est situé à Paris entre la Madeleine et l'Opéra Garnier.HistoriqueLe square est ouvert en 1911 par Arthur Millon, fondateur de la Société de la rue Édouard VII, à l’emplacement des remises et des écuries d’une compagnie de fiacres. Il ne pouvait trouver meilleur parrainage que celui du souverain Édouard VII d'Angleterre, dit « le plus parisien des rois anglais », le plus boulevardier de tous, à l’époque où le Boulevard se terminait chez Maxim’s. En bonne logique, c’est un architecte anglais, William Sprague, qui construit une salle de spectacle au centre de la place en 1913.C'est tout d'abord un cinéma, exploité par un pionnier de l'industrie cinématographique, Charles Urban, qui y présente le Kinémacolor. Puis il cède la place aux représentations théâtrales en 1916 avec pour premier directeur Alphonse Franck, ancien directeur du Théâtre des Capucines et du Théâtre du Gymnase qui a racheté la salle en 1914.Avec Sacha Guitry, une histoire d'amourEn octobre 1920, une déclaration d’amour attire le public au théâtre Édouard VII : Je t'aime. Sacha Guitry se déclarait ainsi à Yvonne Printemps. Et tout Paris constate, ravi, cet amour « Nul printemps n’est plus délicieux que celui de Paris, mais quand il s’appelle Yvonne, il devient incomparable... il est impossible d’incarner plus exactement Paris ».

La Madeleine, Paris
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Place de la Madeleine
Paris, France 75008

L'église de la Madeleine is a Roman Catholic church occupying a commanding position in the 8th arrondissement of Paris. The Madeleine Church was designed in its present form as a temple to the glory of Napoleon's army. To its south lies the Place de la Concorde, to the east is the Place Vendôme, and to the west Saint-Augustin, Paris. The closest métro station is Madeleine. 15px 15px 15px 15pxHistoryThe site of this edifice, centred at the end of rue Royale, a line-of-sight between Gabriel's twin hôtels in the Place de la Concorde, required a suitably monumental end from the time that square was established in 1755, as Place Louis XV. The settlement around the site was called Ville l'Évêque, for it had belonged to the Bishop of Paris since the time of Philip II of France, when Bishop Maurice de Sully seized the synagogue that stood on the site from the Jews of Paris in 1182, and consecrated it a church dedicated to Mary Magdalene. The site in the suburban faubourg had been annexed to the city of Paris in 1722.

La Madeleine, Paris
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Place de la Madeleine
Paris, France 75008

L'église de la Madeleine is a Roman Catholic church occupying a commanding position in the 8th arrondissement of Paris. The Madeleine Church was designed in its present form as a temple to the glory of Napoleon's army. To its south lies the Place de la Concorde, to the east is the Place Vendôme, and to the west Saint-Augustin, Paris. The closest métro station is Madeleine. 15px 15px 15px 15pxHistoryThe site of this edifice, centred at the end of rue Royale, a line-of-sight between Gabriel's twin hôtels in the Place de la Concorde, required a suitably monumental end from the time that square was established in 1755, as Place Louis XV. The settlement around the site was called Ville l'Évêque, for it had belonged to the Bishop of Paris since the time of Philip II of France, when Bishop Maurice de Sully seized the synagogue that stood on the site from the Jews of Paris in 1182, and consecrated it a church dedicated to Mary Magdalene. The site in the suburban faubourg had been annexed to the city of Paris in 1722.

Rue Caumartin, Paris
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Rue Caumartin
Paris, France 75009

<>

Madeleine (Paris Métro)
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Place de la Madeleine
Paris, France 75008

<>

Madeleine is a station on lines 8, 12 and 14 of the Paris Métro in central Paris and the 8th arrondissement.The station was opened on 5 November 1910 as part of the original section of the Nord-Sud Company's line A between Porte de Versailles and Notre-Dame-de-Lorette. On 27 March 1931 line A became line 12 of the Métro. The line 8 platforms opened on 13 July 1913 as part of the original section of the line between Beaugrenelle (now Charles Michels on line 10) and Opéra. The line 14 platforms opened on 15 October 1998 as part of the original section of the line between Madeleine and Bibliothèque François Mitterrand. It was the north-western terminus of Line 14 until its extension to Saint-Lazare in 2003.It is named after the nearby Église de la Madeleine, which was dedicated to Sainte Madeleine in the 18th century. A small settlement had grown up in the district by the 6th century around a stronghold of the Bishop of Paris. It was known from an early date as la Ville-l’Évêque ("Town of the Bishop").

Boulevard des Italiens
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Boulevard des Italiens
Paris, France 75002

Le boulevard des Italiens est une voie située à la lisière des 2 et 9 arrondissements de Paris. Il fait partie de la chaîne des grands boulevards constituée, d'ouest en est, par les boulevards de la Madeleine, des Capucines, des Italiens et Montmartre.Il est desservi par les stations de métro Opéra et Richelieu-Drouot.

Boulevard des Italiens
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Boulevard des Italiens
Paris, France 75002

Le boulevard des Italiens est une voie située à la lisière des 2 et 9 arrondissements de Paris. Il fait partie de la chaîne des grands boulevards constituée, d'ouest en est, par les boulevards de la Madeleine, des Capucines, des Italiens et Montmartre.Il est desservi par les stations de métro Opéra et Richelieu-Drouot.

Rue de Richelieu
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Rue de Richelieu
Paris, France

<>

Saint-Roch, Paris
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
24 R. Saint-Roch
Paris, France 75001

01 42 44 13 20

The Church of Saint-Roch is a late Baroque church in Paris, dedicated to Saint Roch. Located at 284 rue Saint-Honoré, in the 1st arrondissement, it was built between 1653 and 1740. The church is organized as a series of chapels. One of them is dedicated to Saint Susanna in memory of the church which used to stand in its place. Accordingly, there is a mural painting above the altar, showing Saint Susanna fleeing her attackers, and looking up to the heavens for the help of God. The Marquis de Sade was married in this church on May 17, 1763.HistoryIn 1521, the tradesman Jean Dinocheau had a chapel built on the outskirts of Paris, which he dedicated to Saint Susanna. In 1577, his nephew Etienne Dinocheau had it extended into a larger church. In 1629, it became the parish church and thereafter underwent further work. The first stone of the church of Saint-Roch was laid by Louis XIV in 1653, accompanied by his mother Anne of Austria. Originally designed by Jacques Lemercier, the building's construction was halted in 1660 and was resumed in 1701 under the direction of architect Jacques Hardouin-Mansart, brother of the better-known Jules Hardouin-Mansart. Work was finally completed in 1754.At the time of the French Revolution, the church of Saint-Roch was often at the centre of events and was the scene of many shootings which have left their mark on the façade. 13 Vendémiaire was one such occasion, this was pivotal in the rise of Napoleon. It was not only the outside of the church that was damaged. During the Revolution it was ransacked, and many works of art were stolen or destroyed. Amongst the missing paintings was one of Dinocheau, a generous donor, who built the first church on this spot. His portrait, which used to hang in a side chapel, has been found and is now in Italy, in the church of Santa Maria Maggiore in Piedmont. This portrait is currently misidentified as that of Paul Feminis.

Théâtre Caumartin
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
25 rue Caumartin
Paris, France

Boulevard de la Madeleine
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Boulevard de la Madeleine
Paris, France 75001

Ce site est desservi par les stations de métro Opéra et Madeleine.Le boulevard de la Madeleine est un des grands boulevards de Paris, et fait partie de la chaîne constituée d'ouest en est par les boulevards de la Madeleine, des Capucines, des Italiens et Montmartre.Origine du nomLe boulevard doit son nom à l'église de la Madeleine toute proche.Bâtiments remarquables, et lieux de mémoire ' : Ici se trouvait dans les années 1920, la Galerie Adolphe Le Goupy. ' : à l'entresol de l'immeuble, mourut Alphonsine Plessis (dite Marie Duplessis) rendue célèbre par Alexandre Dumas fils, sous le nom de La Dame aux camélias et par Giuseppe Verdi dans son opéra la Traviata. ' : Hôtel de la Compagnie des messageries maritimes. D'inspiration classique, élevé par l‘architecte J. de Saint-Maurice et les ingénieurs constructeurs Lugagne et de Bouillanne en 1916, l'ancien siège de la Compagnie des Messageries Maritimes est un grand immeuble, entre le boulevard et la rue de Sèze, les rues Vignon (22 fenêtres en façade) et Godot-de-Mauroy. Ses murs conservent des sculptures et bas relief maritimes. Le transfert du siège des Messageries Maritimes du Boulevard de la Madeleine à Paris à la Tour Winterthur à La Défense a eu lieu en 1975. ' : Emplacement de la Galerie Bernheim-Jeune à partir de 1906 à 1925

Landmark Near Place de l'Opéra

Paris, France
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Paris
Paris, France Paris

Parc Des Buttes- Chaumont
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
75019
Paris, France 75019

Olympia (Paris)
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
28 boulevard des Capucines
Paris, France 75009

08.92.68.33.68

L’Olympia est une salle de spectacle située 28, boulevard des Capucines, dans le arrondissement de Paris. C'est le plus ancien music-hall de Paris encore en activité. Elle est propriété du groupe Vivendi depuis 2001.HistoireLes débutsEn 1888, Joseph Oller - le fondateur du Pari Mutuel et du Moulin Rouge - pose ses montagnes russes dans la cour d'un bâtiment donnant sur le 28, boulevard des Capucines. Le préfet de police Henri Lozé, craignant l'incendie des montagnes russes bâties en bois, demande la fermeture de l'attraction. Oller procède donc à la démolition des montagnes russes et fait édifier une salle de spectacle de 2000 places : l'Olympia.L'inauguration a lieu le 12 avril 1893, avec comme toutes premières vedettes La Goulue (danseuse de cancan), Loïe Fuller (danseuse américaine) et Fregoli (transformiste).Les frères Isola dirigent l'établissement de 1898 à 1911. Les attractions foraines (acrobates, contorsionnistes, etc) occupent la scène. De 1911 à 1914, Jacques Charles y monte des revues de music-hall, Mistinguett et Yvonne Printemps s'y produisent. En 1916 Raphaël Beretta et Léon Volterra en prennent la direction. Pendant la Première Guerre mondiale la salle ferme ses portes.

Olympia (Paris)
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
28 boulevard des Capucines
Paris, France 75009

08.92.68.33.68

L’Olympia est une salle de spectacle située 28, boulevard des Capucines, dans le arrondissement de Paris. C'est le plus ancien music-hall de Paris encore en activité. Elle est propriété du groupe Vivendi depuis 2001.HistoireLes débutsEn 1888, Joseph Oller - le fondateur du Pari Mutuel et du Moulin Rouge - pose ses montagnes russes dans la cour d'un bâtiment donnant sur le 28, boulevard des Capucines. Le préfet de police Henri Lozé, craignant l'incendie des montagnes russes bâties en bois, demande la fermeture de l'attraction. Oller procède donc à la démolition des montagnes russes et fait édifier une salle de spectacle de 2000 places : l'Olympia.L'inauguration a lieu le 12 avril 1893, avec comme toutes premières vedettes La Goulue (danseuse de cancan), Loïe Fuller (danseuse américaine) et Fregoli (transformiste).Les frères Isola dirigent l'établissement de 1898 à 1911. Les attractions foraines (acrobates, contorsionnistes, etc) occupent la scène. De 1911 à 1914, Jacques Charles y monte des revues de music-hall, Mistinguett et Yvonne Printemps s'y produisent. En 1916 Raphaël Beretta et Léon Volterra en prennent la direction. Pendant la Première Guerre mondiale la salle ferme ses portes.

Théâtre Mogador
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
25 Rue de Mogador, 75009 Paris
Paris, France 75009

01 53 32 32 32

Théâtre Mogador founded in 1913 and designed by Bertie Crewe, is a Parisian music hall theatre located at 25, rue de Mogador in the 9th district. It seats 1,800 people on three tiers.In 1913 financier Sir Alfred Butt rented an area in Paris. Built according to English music hall principles and style during World War I, the theatre was originally named the "Palace Theatre", after the like-named one in London, in order to appeal to British soldiers. The name was shortly thereafter changed to "Théâtre Mogador", Mogador being the old name of the town of Essaouira in Morocco. The inauguration guests include President Wilson, in France to negotiate the Treaty of Versailles.It was inaugurated by US president to be Franklin Delano Roosevelt April 1919.From 1920 it was a Cine-variety, and gained fame with the performances of Sergei Diaghilev's "Ballets Russes", and with the Thés Mogador – performances of operettas and plays in the afternoon. Until the seventies, the Théâtre Mogador was mainly used for performances of operettas, including Mistinguett. Marcel Merkès was a regular performer here from the late 1940s to the mid-1970s.An extensive renovation restored the building to new splendour in 1983. In 2005, it was purchased by the Stage Entertainment group (then called the "Stage Holding - The Theatre Group").

Théâtre Mogador
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
25 Rue de Mogador, 75009 Paris
Paris, France 75009

01 53 32 32 32

Théâtre Mogador founded in 1913 and designed by Bertie Crewe, is a Parisian music hall theatre located at 25, rue de Mogador in the 9th district. It seats 1,800 people on three tiers.In 1913 financier Sir Alfred Butt rented an area in Paris. Built according to English music hall principles and style during World War I, the theatre was originally named the "Palace Theatre", after the like-named one in London, in order to appeal to British soldiers. The name was shortly thereafter changed to "Théâtre Mogador", Mogador being the old name of the town of Essaouira in Morocco. The inauguration guests include President Wilson, in France to negotiate the Treaty of Versailles.It was inaugurated by US president to be Franklin Delano Roosevelt April 1919.From 1920 it was a Cine-variety, and gained fame with the performances of Sergei Diaghilev's "Ballets Russes", and with the Thés Mogador – performances of operettas and plays in the afternoon. Until the seventies, the Théâtre Mogador was mainly used for performances of operettas, including Mistinguett. Marcel Merkès was a regular performer here from the late 1940s to the mid-1970s.An extensive renovation restored the building to new splendour in 1983. In 2005, it was purchased by the Stage Entertainment group (then called the "Stage Holding - The Theatre Group").

Opéra
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
Place de l'opéra
Paris, France 75008

0664265620

Opéra is a station of the Paris Métro, named after the nearby Opera Garnier, built by the architect Charles Garnier. It is located at the end of the Avenue de l'Opera, one of the accesses being opposite the Opera, and serves the district of the Boulevard Haussmann. Three Métro lines (3, 7 and 8) cross each other at one point, known as a "well".The station offers a connection to the following stations: Auber on RER line A Haussmann – Saint-Lazare on RER line E Havre – Caumartin on lines 3 and 9 Saint-Augustin on line 9 Saint-Lazare on lines 3, 12, 13 and 14 The station is famous for its strong odors of sewers. When it was being built, there were concerns that one of Hector Guimard's characteristic iron metro entrances would spoil the view of the opera house, so a marble entrance was built instead.

Olympia (Paris)
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
28, Boulevard des Capucines, 9th arrondissement
Paris, France 75009

Olympia is a music hall located in the 9th arrondissement of Paris, France. Located at No. 28, Boulevard des Capucines, its closest métro/RER stations are Madeleine, Opéra, Havre – Caumartin and Auber.HistoryFounded in 1888, by Joseph Oller, the creator of the Moulin Rouge, today easily recognizable by its giant red glowing letters announcing its name. It opened in 1889 as the "Montagnes Russes" but was renamed the Olympia in 1893. Besides musicians, the Olympia played host to a variety of entertainment including circuses, ballets, and operettas. However, following a steady decline in appearances by the great stars, from 1929 until 1944 it served as a movie theater. It may have opened as a music hall under the German occupation of France during World War II, but certainly in 1945 after the Liberation, it was a music hall free to Allied troops in uniform. Attendees had to listen to the playing of four national anthems before the varied programs that always ended with a spirited can-can performed by dancers, some of whom were no longer young. Thereafter, at times it may have reverted to movies again until Bruno Coquatrix revived it as a music hall with a grand re-opening in February 1954. After his death, it ultimately went into another decline and was in danger of being torn down and turned into a parking lot but on 7 January 1993, France's then Minister of Culture, Jack Lang issued a preservation order for the Olympia that resulted in two years of construction work to rebuild a perfect replica of the façade and the grandeur of its famous red interior.

Théâtre Édouard VII
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
10 place Édouard VII
Paris, France 75009

01 47 42 59 92

Le théâtre Édouard VII, appelé aussi théâtre Édouard VII - Sacha Guitry, est situé à Paris entre la Madeleine et l'Opéra Garnier.HistoriqueLe square est ouvert en 1911 par Arthur Millon, fondateur de la Société de la rue Édouard VII, à l’emplacement des remises et des écuries d’une compagnie de fiacres. Il ne pouvait trouver meilleur parrainage que celui du souverain Édouard VII d'Angleterre, dit « le plus parisien des rois anglais », le plus boulevardier de tous, à l’époque où le Boulevard se terminait chez Maxim’s. En bonne logique, c’est un architecte anglais, William Sprague, qui construit une salle de spectacle au centre de la place en 1913.C'est tout d'abord un cinéma, exploité par un pionnier de l'industrie cinématographique, Charles Urban, qui y présente le Kinémacolor. Puis il cède la place aux représentations théâtrales en 1916 avec pour premier directeur Alphonse Franck, ancien directeur du Théâtre des Capucines et du Théâtre du Gymnase qui a racheté la salle en 1914.Avec Sacha Guitry, une histoire d'amourEn octobre 1920, une déclaration d’amour attire le public au théâtre Édouard VII : Je t'aime. Sacha Guitry se déclarait ainsi à Yvonne Printemps. Et tout Paris constate, ravi, cet amour « Nul printemps n’est plus délicieux que celui de Paris, mais quand il s’appelle Yvonne, il devient incomparable... il est impossible d’incarner plus exactement Paris ».

Théâtre Édouard VII
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
10 place Édouard VII
Paris, France 75009

01 47 42 59 92

Le théâtre Édouard VII, appelé aussi théâtre Édouard VII - Sacha Guitry, est situé à Paris entre la Madeleine et l'Opéra Garnier.HistoriqueLe square est ouvert en 1911 par Arthur Millon, fondateur de la Société de la rue Édouard VII, à l’emplacement des remises et des écuries d’une compagnie de fiacres. Il ne pouvait trouver meilleur parrainage que celui du souverain Édouard VII d'Angleterre, dit « le plus parisien des rois anglais », le plus boulevardier de tous, à l’époque où le Boulevard se terminait chez Maxim’s. En bonne logique, c’est un architecte anglais, William Sprague, qui construit une salle de spectacle au centre de la place en 1913.C'est tout d'abord un cinéma, exploité par un pionnier de l'industrie cinématographique, Charles Urban, qui y présente le Kinémacolor. Puis il cède la place aux représentations théâtrales en 1916 avec pour premier directeur Alphonse Franck, ancien directeur du Théâtre des Capucines et du Théâtre du Gymnase qui a racheté la salle en 1914.Avec Sacha Guitry, une histoire d'amourEn octobre 1920, une déclaration d’amour attire le public au théâtre Édouard VII : Je t'aime. Sacha Guitry se déclarait ainsi à Yvonne Printemps. Et tout Paris constate, ravi, cet amour « Nul printemps n’est plus délicieux que celui de Paris, mais quand il s’appelle Yvonne, il devient incomparable... il est impossible d’incarner plus exactement Paris ».

La Madeleine, Paris
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Place de la Madeleine
Paris, France 75008

L'église de la Madeleine is a Roman Catholic church occupying a commanding position in the 8th arrondissement of Paris. The Madeleine Church was designed in its present form as a temple to the glory of Napoleon's army. To its south lies the Place de la Concorde, to the east is the Place Vendôme, and to the west Saint-Augustin, Paris. The closest métro station is Madeleine. 15px 15px 15px 15pxHistoryThe site of this edifice, centred at the end of rue Royale, a line-of-sight between Gabriel's twin hôtels in the Place de la Concorde, required a suitably monumental end from the time that square was established in 1755, as Place Louis XV. The settlement around the site was called Ville l'Évêque, for it had belonged to the Bishop of Paris since the time of Philip II of France, when Bishop Maurice de Sully seized the synagogue that stood on the site from the Jews of Paris in 1182, and consecrated it a church dedicated to Mary Magdalene. The site in the suburban faubourg had been annexed to the city of Paris in 1722.

La Madeleine, Paris
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Place de la Madeleine
Paris, France 75008

L'église de la Madeleine is a Roman Catholic church occupying a commanding position in the 8th arrondissement of Paris. The Madeleine Church was designed in its present form as a temple to the glory of Napoleon's army. To its south lies the Place de la Concorde, to the east is the Place Vendôme, and to the west Saint-Augustin, Paris. The closest métro station is Madeleine. 15px 15px 15px 15pxHistoryThe site of this edifice, centred at the end of rue Royale, a line-of-sight between Gabriel's twin hôtels in the Place de la Concorde, required a suitably monumental end from the time that square was established in 1755, as Place Louis XV. The settlement around the site was called Ville l'Évêque, for it had belonged to the Bishop of Paris since the time of Philip II of France, when Bishop Maurice de Sully seized the synagogue that stood on the site from the Jews of Paris in 1182, and consecrated it a church dedicated to Mary Magdalene. The site in the suburban faubourg had been annexed to the city of Paris in 1722.

Rue Caumartin, Paris
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Rue Caumartin
Paris, France 75009

<>

Madeleine (Paris Métro)
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Place de la Madeleine
Paris, France 75008

<>

Madeleine is a station on lines 8, 12 and 14 of the Paris Métro in central Paris and the 8th arrondissement.The station was opened on 5 November 1910 as part of the original section of the Nord-Sud Company's line A between Porte de Versailles and Notre-Dame-de-Lorette. On 27 March 1931 line A became line 12 of the Métro. The line 8 platforms opened on 13 July 1913 as part of the original section of the line between Beaugrenelle (now Charles Michels on line 10) and Opéra. The line 14 platforms opened on 15 October 1998 as part of the original section of the line between Madeleine and Bibliothèque François Mitterrand. It was the north-western terminus of Line 14 until its extension to Saint-Lazare in 2003.It is named after the nearby Église de la Madeleine, which was dedicated to Sainte Madeleine in the 18th century. A small settlement had grown up in the district by the 6th century around a stronghold of the Bishop of Paris. It was known from an early date as la Ville-l’Évêque ("Town of the Bishop").

Boulevard des Italiens
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Boulevard des Italiens
Paris, France 75002

Le boulevard des Italiens est une voie située à la lisière des 2 et 9 arrondissements de Paris. Il fait partie de la chaîne des grands boulevards constituée, d'ouest en est, par les boulevards de la Madeleine, des Capucines, des Italiens et Montmartre.Il est desservi par les stations de métro Opéra et Richelieu-Drouot.

Boulevard des Italiens
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Boulevard des Italiens
Paris, France 75002

Le boulevard des Italiens est une voie située à la lisière des 2 et 9 arrondissements de Paris. Il fait partie de la chaîne des grands boulevards constituée, d'ouest en est, par les boulevards de la Madeleine, des Capucines, des Italiens et Montmartre.Il est desservi par les stations de métro Opéra et Richelieu-Drouot.

Rue de Richelieu
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Rue de Richelieu
Paris, France

<>

Saint-Roch, Paris
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
24 R. Saint-Roch
Paris, France 75001

01 42 44 13 20

The Church of Saint-Roch is a late Baroque church in Paris, dedicated to Saint Roch. Located at 284 rue Saint-Honoré, in the 1st arrondissement, it was built between 1653 and 1740. The church is organized as a series of chapels. One of them is dedicated to Saint Susanna in memory of the church which used to stand in its place. Accordingly, there is a mural painting above the altar, showing Saint Susanna fleeing her attackers, and looking up to the heavens for the help of God. The Marquis de Sade was married in this church on May 17, 1763.HistoryIn 1521, the tradesman Jean Dinocheau had a chapel built on the outskirts of Paris, which he dedicated to Saint Susanna. In 1577, his nephew Etienne Dinocheau had it extended into a larger church. In 1629, it became the parish church and thereafter underwent further work. The first stone of the church of Saint-Roch was laid by Louis XIV in 1653, accompanied by his mother Anne of Austria. Originally designed by Jacques Lemercier, the building's construction was halted in 1660 and was resumed in 1701 under the direction of architect Jacques Hardouin-Mansart, brother of the better-known Jules Hardouin-Mansart. Work was finally completed in 1754.At the time of the French Revolution, the church of Saint-Roch was often at the centre of events and was the scene of many shootings which have left their mark on the façade. 13 Vendémiaire was one such occasion, this was pivotal in the rise of Napoleon. It was not only the outside of the church that was damaged. During the Revolution it was ransacked, and many works of art were stolen or destroyed. Amongst the missing paintings was one of Dinocheau, a generous donor, who built the first church on this spot. His portrait, which used to hang in a side chapel, has been found and is now in Italy, in the church of Santa Maria Maggiore in Piedmont. This portrait is currently misidentified as that of Paul Feminis.

Théâtre Caumartin
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
25 rue Caumartin
Paris, France

Boulevard de la Madeleine
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Boulevard de la Madeleine
Paris, France 75001

Ce site est desservi par les stations de métro Opéra et Madeleine.Le boulevard de la Madeleine est un des grands boulevards de Paris, et fait partie de la chaîne constituée d'ouest en est par les boulevards de la Madeleine, des Capucines, des Italiens et Montmartre.Origine du nomLe boulevard doit son nom à l'église de la Madeleine toute proche.Bâtiments remarquables, et lieux de mémoire ' : Ici se trouvait dans les années 1920, la Galerie Adolphe Le Goupy. ' : à l'entresol de l'immeuble, mourut Alphonsine Plessis (dite Marie Duplessis) rendue célèbre par Alexandre Dumas fils, sous le nom de La Dame aux camélias et par Giuseppe Verdi dans son opéra la Traviata. ' : Hôtel de la Compagnie des messageries maritimes. D'inspiration classique, élevé par l‘architecte J. de Saint-Maurice et les ingénieurs constructeurs Lugagne et de Bouillanne en 1916, l'ancien siège de la Compagnie des Messageries Maritimes est un grand immeuble, entre le boulevard et la rue de Sèze, les rues Vignon (22 fenêtres en façade) et Godot-de-Mauroy. Ses murs conservent des sculptures et bas relief maritimes. Le transfert du siège des Messageries Maritimes du Boulevard de la Madeleine à Paris à la Tour Winterthur à La Défense a eu lieu en 1975. ' : Emplacement de la Galerie Bernheim-Jeune à partir de 1906 à 1925

Public Square Near Place de l'Opéra

Place de la concorde
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
place de la concorde
Paris, France 75008

La place de la Concorde est une grande place située au pied de l'avenue des Champs-Élysées dans le 8e arrondissement à Paris, en France. Le nom aurait été choisi par le Directoire pour marquer la réconciliation des Français après les excès de la Terreur.

Place du Châtelet
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
Place du Châtelet
Paris, France 75001

<>

Place Pigalle
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
place Pigalle
Paris, France 75018

<>

Place du Palais-Royal
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Place du Palais-Royal
Paris, France 75001

Place des Abbesses
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
place des abbesses
Paris, France 75018

<>

Place Du Marche Saint Honoré
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Place du Marché Saint Honoré
Paris, France 75001

<>

Place du Châtelet
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
Place du Châtelet
Paris, France 75001

The Place du Châtelet is a public square in Paris, on the right bank of the river Seine, on the borderline between the 1st and 4th arrondissements. It lies at the north end of the Pont au Change, a bridge that connects the Île de la Cité, near the Palais de Justice and the Conciergerie, to the right bank. The closest métro station is Châtelet 15px 15px 15px 15px 15px 15pxFeaturesThe name "Châtelet" refers to the stronghold, the Grand Châtelet, that guarded the northern end of the Pont au Change, containing the offices of the prévôt de Paris and a number of prisons, until it was demolished from 1802-10.At the square's center is the Fontaine du Palmier, designed in 1806 by architect and engineer François-Jean Bralle (1750-1832) to celebrate French victories in battle. It has a circular basin, 6m in diameter, from which a column rises in the form of a palm tree's trunk 18m tall. The palm trunk is surmounted by a gilded figure of the goddess, Victory, holding a laurel wreath in each upraised hand; the goddess figure stands on a base ornamented with bas-relief eagles. The gilded finial is by sculptor Louis-Simon Boizot.

Place de Clichy
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Place de Clichy Paris
Paris, France 75018

0033661130828

Place de Clichy is a station of the Paris Métro, serving Paris Metro Line 2 and Line 13 at the junction of the 8th and 17th arrondissement of Paris.The station was opened on 7 October 1902 as part of the extension of line 2 from Étoile to Anvers. The Place was named after the Barrière de Clichy, a gate built on the road to the village of Clichy for the collection of taxation as part of the Wall of the Farmers-General; the gate was built between 1784 and 1788 and demolished in the 19th century.The line 13 platforms opened on 26 February 1911 as part of the Nord-Sud Company's line B from Saint-Lazare to Porte de Saint-Ouen. On 27 March 1931 line B became line 13 of the Métro. In 1994, these platforms were restored with heritage green bordered tiled names on the platforms.Nearby are the Montmartre Cemetery and the town hall of the 17th arrondissement.

Place de la Concorde
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Place de la Concorde
Paris, France 75018

<>

The Place de la Concorde is one of the major public squares in Paris, France. Measuring 8.64ha in area, it is the largest square in the French capital. It is located in the city's eighth arrondissement, at the eastern end of the Champs-Élysées.HistoryThe place was designed by Ange-Jacques Gabriel in 1755 as a moat-skirted octagon between the Champs-Élysées to the west and the Tuileries Garden to the east. Decorated with statues and fountains, the area was named Place Louis XV to honor the king at that time. The square showcased an equestrian statue of the king, which had been commissioned in 1748 by the city of Paris, sculpted mostly by Edmé Bouchardon, and completed by Jean-Baptiste Pigalle after the death of Bouchardon.At the north end, two magnificent identical stone buildings were constructed. Separated by the rue Royale, these structures remain among the best examples of Louis Quinze style architecture. Initially, the eastern building served as the French Naval Ministry. Shortly after its construction, the western building became the opulent home of the Duc d'Aumont. It was later purchased by the Comte de Crillon, whose family resided there until 1907. The famous luxury Hôtel de Crillon, which currently occupies the building, took its name from its previous owners.

Les Colonnes De Buren
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
15 Rue du Colonel Driant
Paris, France 75001

Square du Vert-Galant
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
square du vert-galant
Paris, France 75001

<>

Le square du Vert-Galant est un square de Paris, situé à la pointe ouest de l'île de la Cité, dans le quartier Saint-Germain-l'Auxerrois du arrondissement. Le niveau du square est situé sept mètres plus bas que le niveau actuel des autres parties de l'île, ce qui correspond au niveau que celle-ci avait autrefois. Le faible surplomb du square par rapport à la Seine explique qu'il soit inondé, voire totalement submergé lors des plus importantes crues du fleuve.Ce site est desservi par la station de métro Pont Neuf.DescriptionIl a été créé par la réunion de plusieurs petites îles dont l'île aux Juifs (où furent brûlés les derniers templiers) et l'île du Patriarche. Le square doit son nom à Henri IV, surnommé le « Vert-Galant » en raison de ses nombreuses maîtresses malgré son âge avancé. Le square est dominé par une statue équestre d'Henri IV reposant sur le Pont-Neuf (lequel sépare le square du reste de l'île). Une plaque commémorative rappelle par ailleurs que c'est à cet endroit qu'eurent lieu, le, les exécutions sur le bûcher des deux plus hauts dignitaires de l'ordre du Temple, Jacques de Molay et Geoffroy de Charnay.

Tranoï Palais De La Bourse
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Place de la Bourse
Paris, France 75002

Corcoran's Place de Clichy
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
110 Boulevard de Clichy
Paris, France 75018

0142230030

Place Dauphine
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
Place Dauphine
Paris, France 75001

<>

The Place Dauphine is a public square located near the western end of the Île de la Cité in the first arrondissement of Paris. It was initiated by Henry IV in 1607, the second of his projects for public squares in Paris, the first being the Place Royale (now the Place des Vosges). He named it for his son, the Dauphin of France and future Louis XIII, who had been born in 1601. From the "square", actually triangular in shape, one can access the middle of the Pont Neuf, a bridge which connects the left and right banks of the Seine by passing over the Île de la Cité. A street called, since 1948, Rue Henri-Robert, forty metres long, connects the Place Dauphine and the bridge. Where they meet, there are two other named places, the Place du Pont Neuf and the Square du Vert Galent.HistoryThe Place Dauphine was laid out in 1607–10, when the Place Royale was still under construction. It was among the earliest city-planning projects of Henri IV, and was on a site created from part of the western garden of the walled enclave known as the Palais de la Cité (because the Capetian kings had lived there long ago, before the Louvre was built). There had been a pavilion, the Maison des Etuves, located in the garden's western wall which overlooked two riverine islets, scarcely more than mudbanks at the time. One islet was incorporated into filled land which extended the Île de la Cité to the west to form the middle section, the terre-plein, of the Pont Neuf (completed in 1606) and, on the downstream side of the bridge, a platform supporting an equestrian statue of Henri IV (installed in 1614). The second islet was removed. The Place Dauphine was to occupy the western part of the garden and the vacant land which had been created between it and the bridge.

Place de la Bourse
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Rue Réaumur
Paris, France 75002

<>

Place des Pyramides
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
2 rue de pyramides
Paris, France 75001

<>

Place des Pyramides is a public square in the 1st arrondissement of Paris, France. It is located in the middle of the Rue de Rivoli, at its intersection with the Rue des Pyramides and Avenue du General Lemonnier, at the western end of the Tuileries Garden.The square was named for the street, Rue des Pyramides, and the street was named for the Battle of the Pyramids, a Napoleonic victory achieved in Egypt in 1798.DescriptionA riding academy under Antoine de Pluvinel, squire to Henry III, Henry IV and Louis XIII, was set up in this area in the 16th century. Known as "Le Pluvinel", this was the forerunner of the classical equestrian school, and it is commemorated by a plaque above the entrance to the Hôtel Regina restaurant.The gilded bronze equestrian statue of Joan of Arc on this square was produced by Emmanuel Frémiet in 1874.

Square du Vert-Galant
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
Pont Neuf
Paris, France

<>

Place Joachim-du-Bellay
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
Place Joachim du Bellay
Paris, France 75001

La place Joachim-du-Bellay est une voie du arrondissement de Paris, en France.HistoireLa place Joachim-du-Bellay occupe l'emplacement de l'ancien cimetière des Innocents, le principal cimetière à l'intérieur de la ville de Paris du Moyen Âge jusqu'à la fin du. Après le déménagement de la majorité des ossements aux catacombes en 1786, le site devient la « place du marché des Innocents », au milieu duquel est installée la Fontaine des Innocents. Finalement, en 1856 le marché devient un square.AccèsLes stations et gare les plus proches sont : Châtelet - Les Halles ; Les Halles ; Châtelet.

Place Saint-Augustin
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
2 place Saint-Augustin
Paris, France 75008

<>

Square Louvois
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
69 bis rue de Richelieu
Paris, France 75002

<>

Notre hôtel ouvrira ses portes en Juin 2016 au cœur de Paris, dans le 2ème arrondissement. Plus d'informations à venir très vite ! Opening on June 2016.

Landmark Near Place de l'Opéra

Salon Indien du Grand Café
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
14 boulevard des Capucines
Paris, France

Le Salon Indien du Grand Café was a room in the basement of the Grand Café, on the Boulevard des Capucines near the Place de l'Opéra in the center of Paris. It is notable for being the place that hosted the very first public moviescreening, on December 28, 1895, consisting in ten short clips presented by the Lumière brothers. These short films clips (in order of presentation), were:La Sortie de l'Usine Lumière à Lyon (literally, "the exit from the Lumière factory in Lyon", or, under its more common English title, Workers Leaving the Lumiere Factory), 46 secondsLe Jardinier (l'Arroseur Arrosé) ("The Gardener", or "The Sprinkler Sprinkled"), 49 secondsLe Débarquement du Congrès de Photographie à Lyon ("the disembarkment of the Congress of Photographers in Lyon"), 48 secondsLa Voltige ("Horse Trick Riders"), 46 secondsLa Pêche aux poissons rouges ("fishing for goldfish"), 42 secondsLes Forgerons ("Blacksmiths"), 49 secondsRepas de bébé ("Baby's Breakfast" (lit. "baby's meal")), 41 secondsLe Saut à la couverture ("Jumping Onto the Blanket"), 41 secondsLa Places des Cordeliers à Lyon ("Cordeliers Square in Lyon"—a street scene), 44 secondsLa Mer (Baignade en mer) ("the sea "), 38 seconds Currently, the building standing at No. 14 Boulevard des Capucines is the Hotel Scribe, which opened a restaurant called 'Café Lumière', in memory of its history. The Grand Cafe Capucines located at No. 4 is a successor to the original further along the boulevard.

Théâtre Édouard VII
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
10 place Édouard VII
Paris, France 75009

01 47 42 59 92

Le théâtre Édouard VII, appelé aussi théâtre Édouard VII - Sacha Guitry, est situé à Paris entre la Madeleine et l'Opéra Garnier.HistoriqueLe square est ouvert en 1911 par Arthur Millon, fondateur de la Société de la rue Édouard VII, à l’emplacement des remises et des écuries d’une compagnie de fiacres. Il ne pouvait trouver meilleur parrainage que celui du souverain Édouard VII d'Angleterre, dit « le plus parisien des rois anglais », le plus boulevardier de tous, à l’époque où le Boulevard se terminait chez Maxim’s. En bonne logique, c’est un architecte anglais, William Sprague, qui construit une salle de spectacle au centre de la place en 1913.C'est tout d'abord un cinéma, exploité par un pionnier de l'industrie cinématographique, Charles Urban, qui y présente le Kinémacolor. Puis il cède la place aux représentations théâtrales en 1916 avec pour premier directeur Alphonse Franck, ancien directeur du Théâtre des Capucines et du Théâtre du Gymnase qui a racheté la salle en 1914.Avec Sacha Guitry, une histoire d'amourEn octobre 1920, une déclaration d’amour attire le public au théâtre Édouard VII : Je t'aime. Sacha Guitry se déclarait ainsi à Yvonne Printemps. Et tout Paris constate, ravi, cet amour « Nul printemps n’est plus délicieux que celui de Paris, mais quand il s’appelle Yvonne, il devient incomparable... il est impossible d’incarner plus exactement Paris ».

Paris Olympia
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
28, Boulevard des Capucines, 9th arrondissement
Paris, France

Olympia is a music hall located in the 9th arrondissement of Paris, France. Located at No. 28, Boulevard des Capucines, its closest métro/RER stations are Madeleine, Opéra, Havre – Caumartin and Auber.HistoryFounded in 1888, by Joseph Oller, the creator of the Moulin Rouge, today easily recognizable by its giant red glowing letters announcing its name. It opened in 1889 as the "Montagnes Russes" but was renamed the Olympia in 1893. Besides musicians, the Olympia played host to a variety of entertainment including circuses, ballets, and operettas. However, following a steady decline in appearances by the great stars, from 1929 until 1944 it served as a movie theater. It may have opened as a music hall under the German occupation of France during World War II, but certainly in 1945 after the Liberation, it was a music hall free to Allied troops in uniform. Attendees had to listen to the playing of four national anthems before the varied programs that always ended with a spirited can-can performed by dancers, some of whom were no longer young. Thereafter, at times it may have reverted to movies again until Bruno Coquatrix revived it as a music hall with a grand re-opening in February 1954. After his death, it ultimately went into another decline and was in danger of being torn down and turned into a parking lot but on 7 January 1993, France's then Minister of Culture, Jack Lang issued a preservation order for the Olympia that resulted in two years of construction work to rebuild a perfect replica of the façade and the grandeur of its famous red interior.

Olympia (Paris)
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
28 boulevard des Capucines
Paris, France 75009

08.92.68.33.68

L’Olympia est une salle de spectacle située 28, boulevard des Capucines, dans le arrondissement de Paris. C'est le plus ancien music-hall de Paris encore en activité. Elle est propriété du groupe Vivendi depuis 2001.HistoireLes débutsEn 1888, Joseph Oller - le fondateur du Pari Mutuel et du Moulin Rouge - pose ses montagnes russes dans la cour d'un bâtiment donnant sur le 28, boulevard des Capucines. Le préfet de police Henri Lozé, craignant l'incendie des montagnes russes bâties en bois, demande la fermeture de l'attraction. Oller procède donc à la démolition des montagnes russes et fait édifier une salle de spectacle de 2000 places : l'Olympia.L'inauguration a lieu le 12 avril 1893, avec comme toutes premières vedettes La Goulue (danseuse de cancan), Loïe Fuller (danseuse américaine) et Fregoli (transformiste).Les frères Isola dirigent l'établissement de 1898 à 1911. Les attractions foraines (acrobates, contorsionnistes, etc) occupent la scène. De 1911 à 1914, Jacques Charles y monte des revues de music-hall, Mistinguett et Yvonne Printemps s'y produisent. En 1916 Raphaël Beretta et Léon Volterra en prennent la direction. Pendant la Première Guerre mondiale la salle ferme ses portes.

Olympia (Paris)
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
28, Boulevard des Capucines, 9th arrondissement
Paris, France 75009

Olympia is a music hall located in the 9th arrondissement of Paris, France. Located at No. 28, Boulevard des Capucines, its closest métro/RER stations are Madeleine, Opéra, Havre – Caumartin and Auber.HistoryFounded in 1888, by Joseph Oller, the creator of the Moulin Rouge, today easily recognizable by its giant red glowing letters announcing its name. It opened in 1889 as the "Montagnes Russes" but was renamed the Olympia in 1893. Besides musicians, the Olympia played host to a variety of entertainment including circuses, ballets, and operettas. However, following a steady decline in appearances by the great stars, from 1929 until 1944 it served as a movie theater. It may have opened as a music hall under the German occupation of France during World War II, but certainly in 1945 after the Liberation, it was a music hall free to Allied troops in uniform. Attendees had to listen to the playing of four national anthems before the varied programs that always ended with a spirited can-can performed by dancers, some of whom were no longer young. Thereafter, at times it may have reverted to movies again until Bruno Coquatrix revived it as a music hall with a grand re-opening in February 1954. After his death, it ultimately went into another decline and was in danger of being torn down and turned into a parking lot but on 7 January 1993, France's then Minister of Culture, Jack Lang issued a preservation order for the Olympia that resulted in two years of construction work to rebuild a perfect replica of the façade and the grandeur of its famous red interior.

Charvet Place Vendôme
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
28 place Vendôme
Paris, France 75001

+33142603070

Charvet Place Vendôme, pronounced, or simply Charvet, is a French high-end shirt maker and tailor located at 28 Place Vendôme in Paris. It designs, produces and sells bespoke and ready-to-wear shirts, neckties, blouses, pyjamas and suits, in the Paris store and internationally through luxury retailers.The world's first ever shirt shop, Charvet was founded in 1838. Since the 19th century, it has supplied bespoke shirts and haberdashery to kings, princes and heads of state. It has acquired an international reputation for the high quality of its products, the level of its service and the wide range of its designs and colors. Thanks to the renown of its ties, charvet has become a generic name for a certain type of silk fabric used for ties.Its exceptionally long history is associated with many famous customers, some of them infatuated with the brand. Also, writers have often expressed their characters' identity through references to Charvet.

Boulevard des Italiens
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Boulevard des Italiens
Paris, France 75002

Le boulevard des Italiens est une voie située à la lisière des 2 et 9 arrondissements de Paris. Il fait partie de la chaîne des grands boulevards constituée, d'ouest en est, par les boulevards de la Madeleine, des Capucines, des Italiens et Montmartre.Il est desservi par les stations de métro Opéra et Richelieu-Drouot.

Rue de Marivaux
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
11 Bd Des Italiens
Paris, France 75002

01 42 96 40 66

La rue de Marivaux est une voie du arrondissement de Paris, en France.DescriptionLa rue de Marivaux est une voie publique située dans le arrondissement de Paris. Elle débute au 4 rue Grétry et se termine au 11 boulevard des Italiens.Origine du nomLa rue porte le nom de l'écrivain Pierre de Marivaux.HistoriqueC'est une des rues percées vers l'an 1784, par lettres-patentes à la date du 18 février 1780. Celles-ci indiquent qu'il sera ouvert aux frais de Étienne-François duc de Choiseul-Amboise et de son épouse, sur le terrain de leur hôtel et jardin.Elle fut dénommée rue de Marivaux-des-Italiens pour la différencier de la Petite rue Marivaux de la Grande rue Marivaux et de la rue Marivaux-des-Lombards.Bâtiments remarquables et lieux de mémoireLe peintre espagnol Francisco de Goya habita au n° 5 de cette rue quelques mois en 1824.AnnexesArticle connexe Liste des voies du arrondissement de Paris

Printemps
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
64 boulevard Haussmann
Paris, France 75009

+33 1 42 82 62 76

Printemps is a French department store . The Printemps stores focus on beauty, lifestyle, fashion, accessories, and men's wear.HistoryPrintemps was founded in 1865 by Jules Jaluzot and Jean-Alfred Duclos. The store was designed by noted architects Jules and Paul Sédille and opened at the corner of Le Havre and Boulevard Haussmann, in Paris, France on 3 November 1865. The building was greatly expanded in 1874, and elevators (then a great novelty) from the 1867 Universal Exposition were installed. Rebuilt after a fire in 1881, the store became the first to use electric lighting, in 1888. (Customers could observe the workings of the power plant behind a glass wall.) It was also one of the first department stores with direct subway access, the Metro being connected in 1904.The policies of Printemps revolutionized retail business practices. The store marked items with set prices and eschewed the haggling based on customer appearance that had previously been standard in retail shopping. Like other '' (literally "big store", department store), Printemps used the economies of scale to provide high quality goods at prices that the expanding middle class could afford. They also pioneered the idea of discount sales to clear out dated stocks, and later the use of window models to display the latest fashions. Printemps was noted for its branding innovations as well, handing out bouquets of violets on the first day of each Spring and championing the new Art Nouveau style, with its nature inspired motifs.

Boulevard de la Madeleine
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Boulevard de la Madeleine
Paris, France 75001

Ce site est desservi par les stations de métro Opéra et Madeleine.Le boulevard de la Madeleine est un des grands boulevards de Paris, et fait partie de la chaîne constituée d'ouest en est par les boulevards de la Madeleine, des Capucines, des Italiens et Montmartre.Origine du nomLe boulevard doit son nom à l'église de la Madeleine toute proche.Bâtiments remarquables, et lieux de mémoire ' : Ici se trouvait dans les années 1920, la Galerie Adolphe Le Goupy. ' : à l'entresol de l'immeuble, mourut Alphonsine Plessis (dite Marie Duplessis) rendue célèbre par Alexandre Dumas fils, sous le nom de La Dame aux camélias et par Giuseppe Verdi dans son opéra la Traviata. ' : Hôtel de la Compagnie des messageries maritimes. D'inspiration classique, élevé par l‘architecte J. de Saint-Maurice et les ingénieurs constructeurs Lugagne et de Bouillanne en 1916, l'ancien siège de la Compagnie des Messageries Maritimes est un grand immeuble, entre le boulevard et la rue de Sèze, les rues Vignon (22 fenêtres en façade) et Godot-de-Mauroy. Ses murs conservent des sculptures et bas relief maritimes. Le transfert du siège des Messageries Maritimes du Boulevard de la Madeleine à Paris à la Tour Winterthur à La Défense a eu lieu en 1975. ' : Emplacement de la Galerie Bernheim-Jeune à partir de 1906 à 1925

Rameau
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
7 rue Rameau
Paris, France 75002

Autorité des marchés financiers
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
17 place de la Bourse
Paris, France 75002

The Autorité des marchés financiers is the stock market regulator in France. The AMF is an independent public body that is responsible for safeguarding investments in financial instruments and in all other savings and investment as well as maintaining orderly financial markets.OverviewThe Autorité des marchés financiers was established by the Financial Security Act of 1 August 2003. It was formed from the merger of the Commission des opérations de bourse, the Conseil des marchés financiers and the Conseil de discipline de la gestion financière . The AMF is an independent public body with legal personality and financial autonomy with the duty of: Safeguard investments in financial instruments and in all other savings and investment vehiclesEnsure that investors receive material informationMaintain orderly financial markets It falls under the European regulatory umbrella of the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive .Substantial shareholdingsShareholders are required to notify their holdings to the AMF when their stake exceeds or falls below certain thresholds. According to the act of 26 July 2005 the lowest disclosure threshold is 5% (article l. 233-7 of the commercial code). Pursuant the same article allows that companies can set additional notification thresholds in their articles of association.

Place de la Bourse (Paris)
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Rue Réaumur
Paris, France 75002

<>

La place de la Bourse est une place de Paris située dans le II arrondissement.Elle doit son nom au palais de la Bourse, édifié sur son emplacement entre 1807 à 1825. Décidée par décret du 15 février 1809, elle absorbe une partie de la rue des Filles-Saint-Thomas.Ce site est desservi par la station de métro Bourse.Lieux remarquablesPalais Brongniart : inauguré en 1825 ;Théâtre du Vaudeville (ex-Nouveautés) : inauguré le, démoli en 1869. HistoireL'Argent, roman d'Émile Zola publié en 1891, décrit minutieusement l'intense activité de la place de la Bourse peu avant son apogée : arrivant par les quatre coins, alors que la rue du quatre-septembre et la rue Réaumur n'ont pas encore été percées, un ballet fiacres et d'omnibus sillonne une grande place couverte de marronniers et de bancs, parcourue de rumeurs et négociations, dans les commerces (papetier, pâtissier), banques, médias, cafés et restaurants disposés tout autour. Au milieu, les prestigieux coulissiers sont assis en arc de cercle, autour de l'horloge, sous les arcades du Palais Brongniart, tandis qu'une Bourse des pieds humides se tient de manière plus informelle mais tout aussi régulière dans le jardin en contrebas, pour l'échange des "titres déclassés". À l'intérieur du Palais Brongniart, le très convoité marché à terme de la corbeille, et un peu plus loin celui du comptant, moins recherché car il permet des gains moins rapides.

Galerie Vivienne
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
4, rue des Petits-Champs
Paris, France 75002

The Galerie Vivienne is one of the covered passages of Paris, in the second arrondissement. It is long and wide. The gallery has been registered as a historical monument since 7 July 1974.HistoryThe gallery was built in 1823 by Marchoux, President of the Chamber of Notaries, at the location of the Vanel de Serrant hotel and the Petits Peres passage. It was based on plans drawn up by the architect Francois Jean Delannoy. Inaugurated in 1826 under the name Marchoux, but soon renamed Vivienne, the gallery took advantage of its unique location. It attracted many visitors with its tailor shops, cobblers, wine shop, restaurant, Jousseaume bookstore, draper, confectioner, print-seller and so on.Located between the Palais Royal, the stock exchange and the Grands Boulevards, the passage enjoyed considerable success until the end of the Second Empire. But the gallery lost some of its appeal with the move of the prestigious shops to the Madeleine and the Champs-Élysées, and particularly because of the Revolution caused by Georges-Eugène Haussmann. The gallery has been the scene of interesting events. The monumental staircase of No. 13 led to the former home of Eugène François Vidocq after his disgrace. The convict had become chief of a police squad made up of former criminals.There has historically been competition with the nearby Galerie Colbert. Since 1960 the gallery has once again become very active. It features fashion and home furnishings, and haute couture shows held there. The installation of Jean Paul Gaultier and Yuki Torii shops in 1986 helped with the resurrection of the gallery. It now houses many shops selling ready-to-wear and decorative items.

Jardin du Palais-Royal
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Jardin du Palais-Royal
Paris, France 75001

Le jardin du Palais-Royal est un grand square parisien de situé dans le arrondissement de Paris et construit en 1633 au centre du Palais-Royal. Le jardin est labellisé « Jardin remarquable ».DescriptionLe jardin est bordé par quatre galeries sous arcades : la galerie de Montpensier à l'ouest, la galerie de Beaujolais au nord, la galerie de Valois à l'est et la galerie du Jardin au sud.HistoireLes jardins sont décidés par le cardinal de Richelieu pour ornementer le Palais-Royal et sont réalisés par Pierre Desgotz, le jardinier du roi. Le palais et les jardins sont légués à Louis XIII à la mort du cardinal et la famille royale s'y installe. Il est modifié sous Charles X pour lui donner son aspect actuel, avec les galeries et les tracés des allées.

Place des Pyramides
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
2 rue de pyramides
Paris, France

La place des Pyramides est une place située dans le quartier du Palais-Royal du arrondissement de Paris. Coupant la rue de Rivoli, elle se trouve à la hauteur du jardin des Tuileries, et au bout de la rue des Pyramides.HistoriqueAncienne place de Rivoli, ouverte par arrêté du 17 vendémiaire an X, la place des Pyramides a reçu son nom actuel par l’arrêté du.L’ancien et le nouveau nom sont dus respectivement à la proximité de la rue de Rivoli et de celle des Pyramides. Le nom actuel commémore la campagne d'Égypte menée par le général Bonaparte en 1798.Sites particuliersLa statue de Jeanne d’Arc en bronze doré présente sur cette place a été réalisée par Emmanuel Frémiet en 1874.En ces lieux s'élevait aux et s une académie d'équitation tenue par Antoine de Pluvinel, écuyer d'Henri III, Henri IV et Louis XIII. Elle constitue le premier foyer de l'école classique d'équitation. Une plaque, apposée au-dessus de la porte d'entrée du restaurant de l’hôtel Régina, Le Pluvinel rappelle cet événement.La place accueille l'entrée principale de l'hôtel Régina.

Sainte-Trinité, Paris
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
4 Place D'Estienne D'Orves
Paris, France 75009

01 48 74 12 77

The Église de la Sainte-Trinité is a Roman Catholic church located in the 9th arrondissement of Paris, France. The church is a building of the Second Empire period, built between 1861 and 1867 at a cost of almost 5 million francs.La Trinité, as it is known, was designed by Théodore Ballu as part of the beautification and reorganization of Paris under Baron Haussmann. Exterior figures of Faith, Hope, and Charity on the church were sculpted by Eugène-Louis Lequesne. The 93 meter-long church has a bell tower 63 metres high topped by a dome. The choir is ten steps higher than the nave and surrounded by an ambulatory. Also named after it are the rue de La Trinité and the square de La Trinité.The church is accessible by the Métro (the nearby station, Trinité, is named after it) and is known internationally for its former organist, the French composer Olivier Messiaen. It was the location of Hector Berlioz's funeral, on 11 March 1869 and Georges Bizet's funeral in 1875.The church's facade served as the inspiration for the design of the Saint-Jean-Baptiste Church in Quebec City and the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament in Sacramento, California.

Jeanne d'Arc (Frémiet)
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Place des Pyramides
Paris, France 75001

Jeanne d'Arc is a gilded bronze equestrian sculpture of Joan of Arc by Emmanuel Frémiet inaugurated in 1874.HistoryThe original statue was commissioned by the French government after the defeat of the country in the 1870 Franco-Prussian War. It is the only public commission of the state from 1870 to 1914, called the Golden Age of statuary in Paris, the other statues were funded by private subscriptions.The sculptor took as his model Aimée Girod (1856–1937), a young woman from Domrémy, Joan of Arc's village in Lorraine.The statue was inaugurated in 1874. The pedestal was designed by the architect Paul Abadie.The artist, who made another version of the monument for the city of Nancy in 1889, replaced the horse of the Parisian monument 10 years later by a copy of the smaller Nancy one, which earned him criticism.The monument was classified as a historic monument on March 31, 1992.Reviving a tradition from the far-right leagues, on every May Day, the National Front holds an annual ceremony in her honour at the statue.LocationsThe original work is located at the Place des Pyramides, in Paris, near where Joan of Arc was wounded during her failed attempt to take Paris.Other copies can be seen at: Nancy, France, New Orleans, Philadelphia, Portland, Oregon, Melbourne, Australia.

Chapelle expiatoire
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
29 rue Pasquier, 69008 PARIS
Paris, France 75008

(33) 01 44 54 19 33

The Chapelle expiatoire is a chapel located in the 8th arrondissement of Paris, France. This chapel is dedicated to Louis XVI and his wife, Marie Antoinette, although they are formally buried in the Basilica of St Denis.The closest métro station is Saint-Augustin 15px 15pxHistory and constructionThe chapel was designed in 1816 by the French Neo-Classical architect Pierre François Léonard Fontaine, who, with his partner Charles Percier, figured among Napoleon's favourite architects. Fontaine's assistant Louis-Hippolyte Lebas oversaw the construction. The chapel was partly constructed on the grounds of the former Madeleine Cemetery, where King Louis XVI and Queen Marie Antoinette had been buried after they had been guillotined.King Louis XVIII shared the 3 million livres expense of building the Chapelle expiatoire with the Duchess of Angoulême. Construction took ten years, and the chapel was inaugurated in 1826 in the presence of King Charles X. When he blessed the cornerstone of the Chapelle expiatoire, Hyacinthe-Louis de Quelen, Archbishop of Paris, called in vain for an amnesty of the exiled members of the National Convention.

Hôtel de la Marine
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
2 rue Royale
Paris, France 75008

The hôtel de la Marine is a building on place de la Concorde in Paris, to the east of Rue Royale. It was built between 1757 and 1774 on what was then known as place Louis XV, with a façade by Ange-Jacques Gabriel, Premier architecte du Roi and designer of the square. The identical building to its west now houses the Hôtel de Crillon.The building works were led by Jacques-Germain Soufflot. Its two pediments contain allegories of Magnificence and Felicity by Guillaume II Coustou and Michel-Ange Slodtz. It originally belonged wholly to the crown, at first being used by the Garde-Meuble, whose galleries were open to the public from 9 am to 1 pm on the first Tuesday of each month between Easter and All Saints' Day. It also housed a chapel, a library, workshops, stables and many apartments, including those of the intendant of the Garde-Meuble – at first Pierre Élisabeth de Fontanieu then Marc-Antoine Thierry de Ville-d'Avray .When the Government was forced to join Louis XVI in quitting Versailles and setting up in the palais des Tuileries, the secrétaire d'État à la Marine, César Henri de la Luzerne, was hosted at the Garde-Meuble by his cousin Thierry de Ville d'Avray. Thus, from 1789, it housed the naval ministry. Led by admiral Decrès, the ministry considerably expanded its offices until it occupied the whole building.