Kensington Gardens London, United Kingdom W8 4PX 020 3166 6000
The feminine influence of generations of royal women has shaped this stylish palace and elegant gardens. The birthplace and childhood home of Queen Victoria, the palace first became a royal residence for William and Mary in 1689. Mary felt ‘shut in’ at Whitehall and much preferred her new Kensington home, which was enlarged by Sir Christopher Wren. The famous Orangery, was built in 1704 by Queen Anne, and George II’s wife, Queen Caroline, another keen gardener,
added further improvements. Today, the palace houses a stunning permanent display of fashionable and formal dresses, the Royal Ceremonial Dress Collection, which includes Queen Victoria’s wedding dress and dresses worn by Diana, Princess of Wales.
The Boltons is a street located in the Brompton district of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, London, England (postcode SW10). The street is divided into two crescents to the west and east with large expensive houses and communal gardens in the centre.To the northwest via Boltons Place is Old Brompton Road and to the southeast via Gilston Road is Fulham Road. To the west are Redcliffe Square and Redcliffe Gardens.St Mary the Boltons church is located here.American actor Douglas Fairbanks Jr lived at number 28 The Boltons in the 1950s. Novelist and former politician Jeffrey Archer lived at number 24a in the mid 1970s.For some 15 years after WWII, "going to the Boltons" meant to Chelsea dwellers going to school. Indeed, on either side of Boltons Place were two educational establishments, Virgo fidelis, RC Junior Girls School and the state primary Bousfield School, which survives still. 29 The Boltons, on the junction of Tregunter and Gilston Roads, housed the infants' reception and two primary classes with a garden play area, as part of the nearby Lycée Français de Londres. Once the main school in South Kensington had sufficiently expanded in the late 1950s, the classes were moved there. The French Lycée was later renamed Lycée Français Charles de Gaulle.
Esta página é destinada a todo fã de Dr. Who, para que saiba que Tardis está no mapa... sempre quis marcar este local Universalmente conhecido... Vamos compartilhem! Whovians! Allons-y!
Interior(clicar na imagem) - https://maps.google.com.br/maps?expflags=enable_star_based_justifications:true&ie=UTF8&cid=12502927659667388442&q=Police+Telephone+Box&iwloc=A&gl=BR&hl=pt-BR
Exterior - https://maps.google.com.br/maps?expflags=enable_star_based_justifications:true&ie=UTF8&cid=12502927659667388442&q=Police+Telephone+Box&iwloc=A&gl=BR&hl=pt-BR
Freddy Mercury HouseDistance: 0.9 miTourist Information Garden Lodge, 1 Logan Place London, W8 6
Located on the edge of Holland Park in Kensington, Leighton House Museum is the former home of the Victorian artist Frederic, Lord Leighton (1830-1896). The only purpose-built studio-house open to the public in the United Kingdom, it is one of the most remarkable buildings of the nineteenth century, containing a fascinating collection of paintings and sculpture by Leighton and his contemporaries.
The Leighton House Museum is a museum in the Holland Park district of Kensington and Chelsea in London. The former home of the painter Frederic, Lord Leighton, it has been open to the public since 1929.The houseBuilt for Leighton by the architect and designer George Aitchison, it is a Grade II* listed building. It is noted for its elaborate Orientalist and aesthetic interiors. It is open to the public daily except Tuesdays, and is a companion museum to 18 Stafford Terrace, another Victorian artist's home in Kensington.The first part of the house (2 Holland Park Road, later renumbered as 12) was designed in 1864 by the architect George Aitchison, although Leighton was not granted a lease on the land until April 1866. Building commenced shortly afterwards, and the house, which cost £4500, was ready for occupation by the end of the year. The building is of red Suffolk bricks with Caen Stone dressings in a restrained classical style.The architect extended the building over 30 years; the first phase was only three windows wide. The main room was the first floor studio, facing north, originally 45 by 25 feet, with a large central window to provide plenty of light for painting. There was also a gallery at the east end, and a separate staircase for use by models. The house was extended to the east in 1869–70. Additionally, a major extension was made in 1877–79: the two-storey "Arab Hall," built to house Leighton's collection of tiles collected during visits to the Middle East.
Little Holland House was the dower house of Holland House in Kensington, England. It was at one point occupied by Charles Richard Fox and his wife, Lady Mary Fox, daughter of King William IV. Henry Thoby Prinsep, a director of East India Company family, gained a 21-year lease on it from Henry Fox, 4th Baron Holland thanks to the painter George Frederic Watts, a friend of both the Hollands and the Prinseps. Watts, the Prinseps and Henry's sisters-in-law such as Julia Margaret Cameron lived, worked and entertained here for 21 years, making it the centre of their salon.When the lease expired in 1871, the Prinseps moved out and the Hollands demolished the building. Thobey Prinsep then leased a large plot of land on Melbury Road (abutting the estate of Lord Leighton) from the Earl of Ilchester, part of which he gave to Watts. On his plot, Watts had Frederick Cockerell build New Little Holland House, in which he lived from 1876 until his death in 1904. The house was later demolished in 1964 after attempts by the London County Council (LCC) to place a building preservation order fell through. In its place an Austin Blomfield block of flats, named Kingfisher House, was erected and continues to occupy the site.
The Tower House, 29 Melbury Road, is a late-Victorian townhouse in the Holland Park district of Kensington and Chelsea, London, built by the architect and designer William Burges as his home. Designed between 1875 and 1881, in the French Gothic Revival style, it was described by the architectural historian J. Mordaunt Crook as "the most complete example of a medieval secular interior produced by the Gothic Revival, and the last". The house is built of red brick, with Bath stone dressings and green roof slates from Cumbria, and has a distinctive cylindrical tower and conical roof. The ground floor contains a drawing room, a dining room and a library, while the first floor has two bedrooms and an armoury. Its exterior and the interior echo elements of Burges's earlier work, particularly the McConnochie House in Cardiff and Castell Coch. It was designated a Grade I listed building in 1949.Burges bought the lease on the plot of land in 1875. The house was built by the Ashby Brothers, with interior decoration by members of Burges's long-standing team of craftsmen including Thomas Nicholls and Henry Stacy Marks. By 1878 the house was largely complete, although interior decoration and the designing of numerous items of furniture and metalwork continued until Burges's death in 1881. The house was inherited by his brother-in-law, Richard Popplewell Pullan. It was later sold to Colonel T. H. Minshall and then, in 1933, to Colonel E. R. B. Graham. The poet John Betjeman inherited the remaining lease in 1962 but did not extend it. Following a period when the house stood empty and suffered vandalism, it was purchased and restored, first by Lady Jane Turnbull, later by the actor Richard Harris and then by the musician Jimmy Page.
18 Stafford Terrace, formerly known as Linley Sambourne House, was the home of the Punch illustrator Edward Linley Sambourne (1844–1910) in Kensington, London. The house is currently open to the public as a museum.18 Stafford Terrace was an almost new townhouse when the Sambournes moved in, in 1875. It was Linley Sambourne who set about re-decorating the house in the Aesthetic style. Today the house is a fine example of middle-class Aestheticism; its influences can still be seen permeating throughout the house, from decorative Sunflower motifs in the stained glass windows to the fine selection of William Morris wallpapers that hang within the rooms through to the displayed collection of blue-and-white Chinese import porcelain.LegacyLinley Sambourne died in 1910 but it wasn't until his wife Marion's death four years later that the house passed to their bachelor son Roy. Roy kept the house's interior largely unchanged until his own death in 1946. The house then passed to Roy's sister Maud Messel. Maud already had a large London residence therefore 18 Stafford remained mostly unoccupied and unchanged. In the years leading up to Maud's death in 1960, the house had become increasingly fascinating to her daughter Anne, Countess of Rosse. This fascination led to Anne proposing the foundation of The Victorian Society in 1957, and in turn the continued preservation of the house largely as it had been lived in by Linley.Lady Rosse negotiated the sale of the house to the Greater London Council and the lease to the Victorian Society in 1980; the house was then opened to the public as a museum which included the furniture, art, and decorative schemes retained from its original inhabitants, Linley Sambourne and his household. Following the demise of the Greater London Council the ownership of the house transferred to the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea in 1989. The Royal Borough continued to work with the Victorian Society until 2000, when the lease to the Victorian Society wasn't renewed.
Kensington Gardens, once the private gardens of Kensington Palace, are one of the Royal Parks of London, lying immediately to the west of Hyde Park. It is shared between the City of Westminster and the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, lying within western central London. The park covers an area of 111ha. The open spaces of Kensington Gardens, Hyde Park, Green Park and St. James's Park together form an almost continuous "green lung" in the heart of London between Kensington and Westminster.Kensington Gardens are Grade I listed on the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.Background and locationKensington Gardens are generally regarded as being the western extent of the neighbouring Hyde Park from which they were originally taken, with West Carriage Drive and the Serpentine Bridge forming the boundary between them. The Gardens are fenced and more formal than Hyde Park. Kensington Gardens are open only during the hours of daylight, whereas Hyde Park is open from 5 am until midnight all year round, which includes many hours of darkness.Kensington Gardens were long regarded as smarter than Hyde Park because of its more private character around Kensington Palace. However, in the late 1800s, Hyde Park was considered the more "fashionable" of the two because of its location nearer to Park Lane and Knightsbridge, adjoining the entrance to central London opposite Wellington Arch and was therefore more crowded.
St Peter's Notting Hill is a Victorian Anglican church in Kensington Park Road, Notting Hill, London. Designed in the classical style by architect Thomas Allom, work was begun in 1855 and completed in 1857.HistoryUntil the mid nineteenth century Notting Hill was a largely rural neighbourhood at the edge of the western suburbs of London. Development in the area began during the 1840s on the Ladbroke Estate where St John's Notting Hill was completed in 1845. It soon became clear that another church was needed, and the site for St Peter's was donated by the trader and philanthropist Charles Henry Blake (1794–1872). Blake had made his fortune in India trading in indigo, and went on to make an even greater fortune as landowner, financier, builder and speculator in Notting Hill. In 1845 Blake had made a significant financial contribution to the construction of neighbouring St John's.St Peter’s was designed by Allom as a part of his overall plan for Kensington Park Gardens and the neighbouring streets of Stanley Crescent and Stanley Gardens, which were developed by Blake.Work on St Peter’s was begun in November 1855. The completed church was consecrated on 7 January 1857 by the then Bishop of London, Archibald Campbell Tait. St Peter's was designed to accommodate a congregation of 1,400. It is thought to be the last 19th century Anglican church to be built in London in the classical style.
The Victoria was built at the same time as Paddington Station (Around 1838). It was always slightly grander than the surrounding pubs and was used by many of the butlers that served in the large houses in the area. Legend has it that Queen Victoria stopped off on her way to Paddington Station, and after that the pub was named in her honour and appointed in it's rather grand style.
Charles Dickens spent time writing "Our Mutual Friend" in the pub, and it also appears in two clips from British Pathe news. After the Second World War it was taken over by some theatrical types that converted the upstairs rooms as you see today.
In days gone by there have been many celebrities who have either been regulars, or who have just popped in for a drink. Most recently, we have had guests such as Liam Gallagher and his family, Claudio Ranieri, Ronnie Wood, and Damien Hirst. Keira Knightley used to be a regular, and you’d recognise plenty of other faces enjoying a discreet drink.
The Embassy of the Republic of Yemen in London is the diplomatic mission of Yemen in the United Kingdom. The embassy occupies a five-storey nineteenth-century house opposite the Natural History Museum.
Das Baden-Powell House, auch bekannt als BP House, ist eine Pfadfinderherberge und ein Konferenzzentrum in South Kensington (London), das in Erinnerung an Robert Baden-Powell, den Gründer der Pfadfinderbewegung, errichtet wurde. Das Haus beherbergte früher eine Sammlung von Erinnerungsstücke an Baden-Powell, unter anderem auch das berühmte Baden-Powell-Porträt von David Jagger. Die Scout Association hat beim letzten Umbau aus dem Teil der früher ein kleines Museum war Konferenzräume gemacht, aus diesem Grund wurden die Ausstellungsstücke zum Scout Association Headquarter in Gilwell Park übergesiedelt. Eine Granitstatue von Don Potter, einem persönlichen Freund von Baden-Powell steht vor dem Gebäude.Der Bauausschuss der Scout Association unter dem Vorsitz von Sir Harold Gillett, damals Lord Mayor of London, kaufte das Grundstück 1956 und beauftragte Ralph Tubbs mit dem Entwurf des Gebäudes im Stil der klassischen Moderne. Der Grundstein wurde 1959 durch Olave Baden-Powell gelegt; das Haus wurde 1961 von Königin Elisabeth II. eingeweiht. Der größte Teil der Baukosten in Höhe von 400.000 £ wurde von der Pfadfinderbewegung zur Verfügung gestellt. Über die Jahre ist das Haus mehrmals renoviert worden, damit es den Ansprüchen der in London übernachtenden Pfadfindern entspricht. Die Pfadfinderherberge wird zum Teil auch als Hotel von der deutschen Hotelgruppe Meininger betrieben.
The Embassy of Thailand in London is the diplomatic mission of Thailand in the United Kingdom. It has been located at its current address since 1965. The building is one of a group of Grade II listed buildings in Queen's Gate, which includes the Bangladesh High Commission next door.Thailand also maintains an Office of the Air Attaché at 2 Victoria Road, South Kensington, an Office of Commercial Attaché at 11 Hertford Street, Mayfair and an Office of Educational Attaché at 28 Prince's Gate, South Kensington. The Ambassador's Residence is located in a separate building on Tregunter Road, Brompton.
The Embassy of Bulgaria in London is the diplomatic mission of Bulgaria in the United Kingdom. Diplomatic relations between the two countries date from 1879 and there has been a Bulgarian embassy in London since 1903.
The Embassy of Azerbaijan in London is the diplomatic mission of Azerbaijan in the United Kingdom. Diplomatic relations between the two countries were established in 1992 and the Azeri embassy in London established in 1994.In 2011 a protest was held outside the embassy by those opposed to the jailing the Azeri journalist Eynulla Fatullayev.
The Embassy of Romania in London is the diplomatic mission of Romania in the United Kingdom. Diplomatic relations between the two countries were established in 1880.Romania also maintains a Consulate at 344 Kensington High Street, Holland Park and a Cultural Institute at 1 Belgrave Square, Belgravia.
Embassy of Russia, London Distance: 0.2 miTourist Information 6/7 Kensington Palace Gardens, London, W8 4QP London, United Kingdom
The Embassy of Russia in London is the diplomatic mission of Russia in the United Kingdom. The main building and Consular section is located at 5 and 6-7 Kensington Palace Gardens at the junction with Bayswater Road, with the Ambassador's Residence located in a separate building at 13 Kensington Palace Gardens (Harrington House). Russia also maintains a Defence Attaché's Office at 44 Millfield Lane, Highgate and an Office of the Trade Representative at 33 Highgate West Hill, Highgate.HistoryThe embassy of the Russian Empire was located at Chesham Place, Belgravia; this then functioned as the Embassy of the new Soviet Union from 1924-27. Diplomatic relations were suspended during the period 1927-29 and following their resumption the Soviet government moved to the various buildings on Kensington Palace Gardens which were inherited by the Russian Federation following the dissolution of the USSR.
The Embassy of Slovakia in London is the diplomatic mission of Slovakia in the United Kingdom. It is located at the junction of Kensington Palace Gardens and Bayswater Road in a building it shares with the Embassy of the Czech Republic.The Embassy of Czechoslovakia was originally located on Grosvenor Place, before moving to the location of the current Czech and Slovak embassies in 1970. The construction of a new brutalist-style building at this site had begun in 1965 and was undertaken by Jan Bočan, Jan Šrámek and Karel Štěpánský from the atelier Beta Prague Project Institute; it received an award from the Royal Institute of British Architects for the best building in the United Kingdom created by foreign architects. The building was then divided between the Czech and Slovak Republics following the dissolution of Czechoslovakia in 1993.
The New West End Synagogue, located in St. Petersburgh Place, Bayswater, London, is one of the oldest synagogues in the United Kingdom still in use. It is one of two synagogues which have been awarded Grade I listed status by the British government, and has been described by Historic England as "the architectural high-water mark of Anglo-Jewish architecture". It can accommodate approximately 800 people.HistoryDesigned by George Audsley of Scotland in collaboration with Nathan S. Joseph, its foundation stone was laid on June 7, 1877 by Leopold de Rothschild in the presence of the Chief Rabbi, Dr. Nathan Marcus Adler, and the building was formally opened on March 30, 1879.Chaim Weizmann, the first president of the State of Israel, and Herbert Samuel, the British High Commissioner for Palestine during the British Mandate, were both members of the synagogue. Their seats are marked with plaques. The synagogue's first rabbi was Simeon Singer, who translated and edited the Authorized Daily Prayer Book, which is still used in Orthodox synagogues across Great Britain.Perhaps the most famous rabbi of New West End Synagogue was Louis Jacobs, whose ties with the synagogue were severed in what became known as the Jacobs affair, and went on to found the Masorti movement.