45 Porchester Road London, United Kingdom W2 5HS 02073133850
The Porchester Hall is an outstanding, beautiful, characterful Grade 2 listed 1920's venue for large events such as conferences, weddings, AGM's, Music, Film and awards dinners. The hall boasts Portland stone and Cornish granite entrance steps and provides a setting guaranteed to make events memorable for guests. The venue is ideally located in Queensway, W2 with easy public transport access from the Central line and 24 hour buses, making it perfect both for day and night events.
Ognisko Polskie was founded to maintain the cohesion of the free Polish community in exile in the United Kingdom during the Second World War. It has served since to provide a home for Poles to meet and build friendships, as a place where Polish culture and history is kept alive and Polish identity and independence maintained.
In the 21st century Ognisko Polskie aims to continue to be a Centre of Polish life in the United Kingdom, where members can maintain and strengthen their relations with each other and the wider community, promote Polish culture through hosting events, supporting education and arts and providing a place where Polish generosity and warmth can be extended to all.
We are pleased to announce that Ognisko Polskie will develop a national Centre of Excellence to initiate, promote, implement and support the activities in the field of Culture and the Arts.
We will hold exhibitions, meetings, lectures, classes and seminars both alone or with others. We will gather artists, critics, art lovers, representatives of the academic world and of those working in the cultural sphere both in UK and abroad.
Our restaurant reopened and created by Jan Korybut Woroniecki is open since 18th September 2013.
Cover photo by Marek Abramowicz.
The Embassy of Thailand in London is the diplomatic mission of Thailand in the United Kingdom. It has been located at its current address since 1965. The building is one of a group of Grade II listed buildings in Queen's Gate, which includes the Bangladesh High Commission next door.Thailand also maintains an Office of the Air Attaché at 2 Victoria Road, South Kensington, an Office of Commercial Attaché at 11 Hertford Street, Mayfair and an Office of Educational Attaché at 28 Prince's Gate, South Kensington. The Ambassador's Residence is located in a separate building on Tregunter Road, Brompton.
Welcome to the Nando’s High Street Kensington (London) official Facebook page - home of the legendary Portuguese flame-grilled PERi-PERi Chicken.
Watch this space for all the latest PERi-PERi news and adventures. Need help? Feel free to message us or comment on our wall and we’ll get back to you.
Handy stuff: As well as all the good stuff, we wanted to say that we won’t tolerate any bad stuff, like rude language, offensive images, abuse of other community members and anything that may breach Facebook’s T&Cs. That means that any offensive posts will be removed without notice. If you’re interested in more info you can find answers to some of our most frequent questions right here >> http://www.nandos.co.uk/faq
Holy Trinity Church, South Kensington, is an Anglican church located on Prince Consort Road in the City of Westminster, London, England. The current building dates from 1901 and was built by George Frederick Bodley and Cecil Greenwood Hare.Edward Ashmore (British Army officer) and Gilbert Spencer were both married in the church.
The High Commission of Zambia in London is the diplomatic mission of Zambia in the United Kingdom.A plaque outside the High Commission commemorates the painter John Everett Millais who lived and died in the building.
The Royal Geographical Society is the UK's learned society and professional body for geography, founded in 1830 for the advancement of geographical sciences. Today, it is the leading centre for geographers and geographical learning. The Society has over 16,500 members and its work reaches millions of people each year through publications, research groups and lectures.HistoryThe Geographical Society of London was founded in 1830 under the name Geographical Society of London as an institution to promote the 'advancement of geographical science'. It later absorbed the older African Association, which had been founded by Sir Joseph Banks in 1788, as well as the Raleigh Club and the Palestine Association.Like many learned societies, it had started as a dining club in London, where select members held informal dinner debates on current scientific issues and ideas.Founding members of the Society included Sir John Barrow, Sir John Franklin and Sir Francis Beaufort. Under the patronage of King William IV it later became known as The Royal Geographical Society (RGS) and was granted its Royal Charter under Queen Victoria in 1859.From 1830 – 1840 the RGS met in the rooms of the Horticultural Society in Regent Street, London and from 1854 -1870 at 15 Whitehall Place, London. In 1870, the Society finally found a home when it moved to 1 Savile Row, London – an address that quickly became associated with adventure and travel.
The Embassy of Israel in London is the diplomatic mission of Israel in the United Kingdom. It is located in the South Kensington area on Kensington Palace Gardens near the junction with Kensington High Street. The building hosts both the Embassy of Israel and the Israeli Consulate, accessible via a separate entrance at 15a Old Court Place.LocationThe embassy is situated at 2 Kensington Palace Gardens, the extension of Palace Green, which is home to Kensington Palace itself as well as a number of other diplomatic delegations, and forms part of the Crown Estate. Security around the Embassy is extremely rigorous and photography of the embassy is prohibited.The buildingThe embassy occupies a house originally built in 1860–62 for the author William Makepeace Thackeray and was built in red brick at his request. It was granted Grade II* listed status in 1969.Security incidents and assassination attemptsOn 19 September 1972, a letter bomb delivered to the Embassy exploded, killing Ami Shechori, an Israeli diplomat. Seven other bombs claimed to have been sent by the terrorist group Black September were either not delivered, or detected.
The Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain is a memorial in London dedicated to Diana, Princess of Wales, who died in a car crash in 1997. It was designed to express Diana's spirit and love of children.The fountain is located in the southwest corner of Hyde Park, just south of the Serpentine lake and east of the Serpentine Gallery. Its cornerstone was laid in September 2003 and it was officially opened on 6 July 2004 by Queen Elizabeth II. Also present were Diana's younger brother Charles Spencer, her ex-husband Prince Charles, and her sons William and Harry.DesignThe fountain was designed by Kathryn Gustafson, an American landscape artist, and cost £3.6 million. Gustafson said she had wanted the fountain, which was built to the south of the Serpentine, to be accessible and to reflect Diana's "inclusive" personality. Gustafson said: "Above all I hope that it provides a fitting memorial for the princess and does credit to the amazing person that she was."ConstructionThe 545 individual pieces of Cornish granite were cut using sophisticated computer-guided cutting machines by S. McConnell & Sons, in Kilkeel, Northern Ireland.
Holland Park School is a Coeducational secondary school and sixth form in Holland Park, London, England. In 2013, it has attained academy status. Opened in 1958, the school became the flagship for comprehensive education, and at one time had over 2,000 students. A number of high-profile socialists sent their children to Holland Park School, and it became known as "the socialist Eton". The Labour politician Tony Benn and his wife Caroline sent all four of their children to the school.Education at Holland ParkIn the 1960s and 1970s, the Holland Park School philosophy was to ensure large student numbers with the idea that the resulting size would enable more subject choices for the students. Indeed, amongst the more typical foreign languages Latin, Russian and Spanish were taught.In the early 1960s, each school year was divided into A, B, C, D, and E streams up until the 3rd year. As the groups were so large, they were again divided, typically into 3. Later the "A" "B" etc. grading was considered to be bad for children's self-esteem, so "A" "B" and "C" were replaced by "H" "P" and "S" . Nowadays, the banding system is divided into 4 bands, each with 3 levels inside them.In 1970, streaming was completely scrapped in favour of total egalitarianism. Another aspect of egalitarian thought was that many school traditions were dropped and in the 1970s there were no awards for academic achievement, in order not to demoralise low achievers. Dr Rushworth, who became head in 1971, nevertheless favoured high achievement in niche areas, and himself continued to teach Latin to children who requested lessons. His motto was "Everyone should know about everything," and critics saw this as leading to a dumbing down of the curriculum.
The Embassy of Greece in London is the diplomatic mission of Greece in the United Kingdom.A Greek embassy in London was established shortly after Greek independence in 1828 and was formerly located at 51 Upper Brook Street in Mayfair. In 1975 the embassy moved to its current location, with the Mayfair building remaining as the Greek Ambassador's Residence.In 1999 Kurdish protesters temporarily occupied the embassy in protest at the role of Greece in the capture of Kurdistan Workers' Party leader Abdullah Öcalan in Kenya.Greece also maintains a National Tourism Organisation Office at 4 Conduit Street, Mayfair.
Kensington Gardens, once the private gardens of Kensington Palace, are one of the Royal Parks of London, lying immediately to the west of Hyde Park. It is shared between the City of Westminster and the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, lying within western central London. The park covers an area of 111ha. The open spaces of Kensington Gardens, Hyde Park, Green Park and St. James's Park together form an almost continuous "green lung" in the heart of London between Kensington and Westminster.Kensington Gardens are Grade I listed on the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.Background and locationKensington Gardens are generally regarded as being the western extent of the neighbouring Hyde Park from which they were originally taken, with West Carriage Drive and the Serpentine Bridge forming the boundary between them. The Gardens are fenced and more formal than Hyde Park. Kensington Gardens are open only during the hours of daylight, whereas Hyde Park is open from 5 am until midnight all year round, which includes many hours of darkness.Kensington Gardens were long regarded as smarter than Hyde Park because of its more private character around Kensington Palace. However, in the late 1800s, Hyde Park was considered the more "fashionable" of the two because of its location nearer to Park Lane and Knightsbridge, adjoining the entrance to central London opposite Wellington Arch and was therefore more crowded.
Embassy of Russia, LondonDistance: 0.7 miTourist Information 6/7 Kensington Palace Gardens, London, W8 4QP London,
The Embassy of Russia in London is the diplomatic mission of Russia in the United Kingdom. The main building and Consular section is located at 5 and 6-7 Kensington Palace Gardens at the junction with Bayswater Road, with the Ambassador's Residence located in a separate building at 13 Kensington Palace Gardens (Harrington House). Russia also maintains a Defence Attaché's Office at 44 Millfield Lane, Highgate and an Office of the Trade Representative at 33 Highgate West Hill, Highgate.HistoryThe embassy of the Russian Empire was located at Chesham Place, Belgravia; this then functioned as the Embassy of the new Soviet Union from 1924-27. Diplomatic relations were suspended during the period 1927-29 and following their resumption the Soviet government moved to the various buildings on Kensington Palace Gardens which were inherited by the Russian Federation following the dissolution of the USSR.
The Embassy of Slovakia in London is the diplomatic mission of Slovakia in the United Kingdom. It is located at the junction of Kensington Palace Gardens and Bayswater Road in a building it shares with the Embassy of the Czech Republic.The Embassy of Czechoslovakia was originally located on Grosvenor Place, before moving to the location of the current Czech and Slovak embassies in 1970. The construction of a new brutalist-style building at this site had begun in 1965 and was undertaken by Jan Bočan, Jan Šrámek and Karel Štěpánský from the atelier Beta Prague Project Institute; it received an award from the Royal Institute of British Architects for the best building in the United Kingdom created by foreign architects. The building was then divided between the Czech and Slovak Republics following the dissolution of Czechoslovakia in 1993.
Embassy Of The Slovak RepublicDistance: 0.6 miTourist Information 25 Kensington Palace Gardens London, W8 4QY
St John's Notting Hill is a Victorian Anglican church built in 1845 in Lansdowne Crescent, Notting Hill, London, designed by the architects John Hargrave Stevens (1805/6–1857) and George Alexander (1810–1885), and built in the Victorian Gothic style. Dedicated to St John the Evangelist, the church was originally built as the centrepiece of the Ladbroke Estate, a mid nineteenth century housing development designed to attract upper- and upper middle-class residents to what was then a largely rural neighbourhood in the western suburbs of London.History and originsIn 1821 James Weller Ladbroke (died 1847) and his architect Thomas Allason (1790–1852) began to plan an estate on land which now spans the southern end of Ladbroke Grove. From 1837 to 1841 a significant part of this land was used as the Hippodrome race-course. The hill that is now surmounted by St John’s was used by spectators as a natural grandstand to view the races. The Hippodrome was not however a financial success, and by 1843 it had closed, the circular racecourse soon to be replaced by crescents of stuccoed houses.St John’s Church, now a Grade II listed building, forms the high point and centrepiece of the Ladbroke estate, and is dedicated to St John the Evangelist. It was built to accommodate a congregation of 1,500, and was designed in the Early English style, the spire being notably similar in design to that of St Mary’s Church in Witney, Oxfordshire. The architecture of St John's contrasts with the classical style of neighbouring St Peter's, built a decade later. Money was raised by private subscription, in particular by means of two substantial loans of £2,000, one from Viscount Canning and one from entrepreneur Charles Blake, who also helped to finance St Peter's.
The Italian Fountains - Hyde ParkDistance: 0.7 miTourist Information Bayswater Road London, W2 2UH