The RAF's Air Cadets is one of the country's premier youth organizations and the world's largest youth air training organization, supported by thousands of dedicated volunteer staff.
The Air Cadets Organization (ACO) is a national volunteer youth organization within the Training Group that is part public funded and part self-funded. The organization comprises the Air Training Corps (ATC), sponsored by the Royal Air Force, and the Royal Air Force Sections of the Combined Cadet Force (CCF). From units spread throughout the country the organization draws its male and female cadet membership from all social and ethnic backgrounds.
The mission of the ACO is to be a modern, dynamic, sustainable air-minded youth organization of choice that offers fun and challenging opportunities.
The ATC was formed in 1941 by Royal Warrant and last amended in Feb 1990; the Air Commodore-in-Chief is HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.
Carlyle's House, in the district of Chelsea, in central London, England, was the home acquired by the historian and philosopher Thomas Carlyle and his wife Jane Welsh Carlyle, after having lived at Craigenputtock in Dumfriesshire, Scotland. She was a prominent woman of letters, for nearly half a century. The building dates from 1708 and is at No. 24 Cheyne Row (No. 5 at Carlyle's time); the house is now owned by the National Trust.The house is a typical Georgian terraced house, a modestly comfortable home where the Carlyles lived with one servant and Jane's dog, Nero. The house was opened to the public in 1895, just fourteen years after Carlyle's death. It is preserved very much as it was when the Carlyles lived there despite another resident moving in after them with her scores of cats and dogs. It is a good example of a middle class Victorian home due to the efforts of devotees tracking down much of the original furniture owned by the Carlyles. It contains some of the Carlyles' books (many on permanent loan from the London Library, which was established by Carlyle), pictures and personal possessions, together with collections of portraits by artist such as James Abbott McNeill Whistler and Helen Allingham and memorabilia assembled by their admirers.
The Boltons is a street located in the Brompton district of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, London, England (postcode SW10). The street is divided into two crescents to the west and east with large expensive houses and communal gardens in the centre.To the northwest via Boltons Place is Old Brompton Road and to the southeast via Gilston Road is Fulham Road. To the west are Redcliffe Square and Redcliffe Gardens.St Mary the Boltons church is located here.American actor Douglas Fairbanks Jr lived at number 28 The Boltons in the 1950s. Novelist and former politician Jeffrey Archer lived at number 24a in the mid 1970s.For some 15 years after WWII, "going to the Boltons" meant to Chelsea dwellers going to school. Indeed, on either side of Boltons Place were two educational establishments, Virgo fidelis, RC Junior Girls School and the state primary Bousfield School, which survives still. 29 The Boltons, on the junction of Tregunter and Gilston Roads, housed the infants' reception and two primary classes with a garden play area, as part of the nearby Lycée Français de Londres. Once the main school in South Kensington had sufficiently expanded in the late 1950s, the classes were moved there. The French Lycée was later renamed Lycée Français Charles de Gaulle.
Opened in 1968, The Chelsea Drugstore was a sleek modern glass and aluminium fronted building on the northwest corner of Royal Avenue and the Kings Road, in west London. Modelled on Le Drugstore on Boulevard St Germain in Paris, the Chelsea Drugstore was arranged over three floors and on most days remained open for up to 16 hours. Inside customers would find bars, a chemist, newsstands, record stores and other concessions. A popular service was the 'flying squad' delivery option run by the store. Those who used this service would have their purchases delivered by hand by young ladies adorned in purple catsuits arriving on flashy motorcycles.In popular cultureThe store is notably mentioned in The Rolling Stones song "You Can't Always Get What You Want". Chelsea Drugstore is also the title of a 2012 EP by UK band The Jetsonics as well as it being a film location in Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange. The store became a wine bar and then a McDonald's. Both pub and retail shops below were open until the late 1980s.
The High Commission of Dominica in London is the diplomatic mission of Dominica in the United Kingdom. It shares the building with the High Commission of Saint Lucia.Gallery File:High_Commission_of_Dominica_in_London_2.jpg|Plaque outside the High commission depicting the Coat of arms of Dominica External links Official site
Glendower Preparatory School is an independent preparatory school in South Kensington, London for girls aged 4 to 11.HistoryGlendower Prep was founded in 1895 by Miss Lloyd and Miss Cornwall at 103A Fulham Road and was originally called "Cornwall and Lloyd School". The school shared premises with Dunn and Co the hatters and The Sports Motor Car Co.At some point between 1902 and 1918, the school moved to 5 Glendower Road and changed its name to Glendower School. After 2 years in Glendower Road, the school relocated to 25 - 27 Cromwell Road.The school remained at this site from 1920 until 1939 when the Second World War forced an evacuation to Cornwall. Glendower moved into 87 Queen's Gate in 1947 where it has remained with some extension and expansion until the present day.the headmistress is Sarah Knollys.Notable former pupilsGayatri Devi of JaipurPatricia FordCarmen Ejogo
The Embassy of the Republic of Yemen in London is the diplomatic mission of Yemen in the United Kingdom. The embassy occupies a five-storey nineteenth-century house opposite the Natural History Museum.
Baden-Powell House, colloquially known as B-P House, is a Scouting hostel and conference centre in South Kensington, London, which was built as a tribute to Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting. The house, owned by The Scout Association, hosts a small exhibition relating to Scouting in its current form and a granite statue by Don Potter.The building committee, chaired by Sir Harold Gillett, Lord Mayor of London, purchased the site in 1956, and assigned Ralph Tubbs to design the house in the modern architectural style. The foundation stone was laid in 1959 by World Chief Guide Olave, Lady Baden-Powell, and it was opened in 1961 by Queen Elizabeth II. The largest part of the £400,000 cost was provided by the Scout Movement itself. Over the years, the house has been refurbished several times, so that it now provides modern and affordable lodging for Scouts, Guides, their families and the general public staying in London. The building also hosts conference and event space for hire.HistoryActing on a 1942 initiative by Chief Scout Lord Somers, a formal Baden-Powell House Committee was established by The Scout Association in 1953 under the direction of Sir Harold Gillett, later Lord Mayor of London. The committee's directive was to build a hostel to provide Scouts a place to stay at reasonable cost while visiting London. For this purpose, in 1956 the committee purchased a bombed-out property at the intersection of Cromwell Road and Queen's Gate at a cost of £39,000.
Cadogan Place is a street in Belgravia, London. It is named after Earl Cadogan and runs parallel to the lower half of Sloane Street. It gives its names to the extensive Cadogan Place Gardens (not open to the public).Literary referencesCharles Dickens writes of it in Nicholas Nickleby:Cadogan Place is the home of Fanny and Robert Assingham in Henry James's late novel The Golden Bowl.Notable residents 44 Cadogan Place was home to William Wilberforce for the last two years of his life and a blue plaque records his death there in 1833. 52 Cadogan Place was the London birthplace, childhood and family home of Harold Macmillan (1894–1986), former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (1957–1963). 79 Cadogan Place is the former home of Lord and Lady Colin Campbell who provided Victorian London with a sensational divorce trial in 1886.
Ognisko Polskie was founded to maintain the cohesion of the free Polish community in exile in the United Kingdom during the Second World War. It has served since to provide a home for Poles to meet and build friendships, as a place where Polish culture and history is kept alive and Polish identity and independence maintained.
In the 21st century Ognisko Polskie aims to continue to be a Centre of Polish life in the United Kingdom, where members can maintain and strengthen their relations with each other and the wider community, promote Polish culture through hosting events, supporting education and arts and providing a place where Polish generosity and warmth can be extended to all.
We are pleased to announce that Ognisko Polskie will develop a national Centre of Excellence to initiate, promote, implement and support the activities in the field of Culture and the Arts.
We will hold exhibitions, meetings, lectures, classes and seminars both alone or with others. We will gather artists, critics, art lovers, representatives of the academic world and of those working in the cultural sphere both in UK and abroad.
Our restaurant reopened and created by Jan Korybut Woroniecki is open since 18th September 2013.
Cover photo by Marek Abramowicz.
The Embassy of Thailand in London is the diplomatic mission of Thailand in the United Kingdom. It has been located at its current address since 1965. The building is one of a group of Grade II listed buildings in Queen's Gate, which includes the Bangladesh High Commission next door.Thailand also maintains an Office of the Air Attaché at 2 Victoria Road, South Kensington, an Office of Commercial Attaché at 11 Hertford Street, Mayfair and an Office of Educational Attaché at 28 Prince's Gate, South Kensington. The Ambassador's Residence is located in a separate building on Tregunter Road, Brompton.