L’eleganza è senza dubbio la caratteristica principale della piazza: la cornice offerta dai palazzi color ocra, la fontana del Bernini e la scalinata su cui si erige la chiesa Trinità dei Monti contribuiscono a creare un’atmosfera raffinata e settecentesca. Non è infatti un caso che griffe dell’alta moda del calibro di Gucci, Bulgari e Valentino abbiamo scelto di posizionare proprio nei pressi della piazza i loro flagship stores. Antica casa di poeti illustri quali John Keats e Percy Bysshe Shelley, la piazza rappresenta oggi un patrimonio culturale di inestimabile valore. Posizionata ai piedi della collina del Pincio, Piazza di Spagna ha da sempre rappresentato il centro della vita culturale e turistica della città di Roma.
The Circus Maximus is an ancient Roman chariot racing stadium and mass entertainment venue located in Rome, Italy. Situated in the valley between the Aventine and Palatine hills, it was the first and largest stadium in ancient Rome and its later Empire. It measured 621 m in length and 118 m in width and could accommodate over 150,000 spectators. In its fully developed form, it became the model for circuses throughout the Roman Empire. The site is now a public park.Events and usesThe Circus was Rome's largest venue for ludi, public games connected to Roman religious festivals. Ludi were sponsored by leading Romans or the Roman state for the benefit of the Roman people (populus Romanus) and gods. Most were held annually or at annual intervals on the Roman calendar. Others might be given to fulfill a religious vow, such as the games in celebration of a triumph. The earliest known triumph ludi at the Circus were vowed by Tarquin the Proud to Jupiter in the late Regal era for his victory over Pometia.
Il Circo Massimo è un antico circo romano, dedicato alle corse di cavalli, costruito a Roma. Situato nella valle tra il Palatino e l'Aventino, è ricordato come sede di giochi sin dagli inizi della storia della città: nella valle sarebbe avvenuto il mitico episodio del ratto delle Sabine, in occasione dei giochi indetti da Romolo in onore del dio Consus. Di certo l'ampio spazio pianeggiante e la sua prossimità all'approdo del Tevere dove dall'antichità più remota si svolgevano gli scambi commerciali, fecero sì che il luogo costituisse fin dalla fondazione della città lo spazio elettivo in cui condurre attività di mercato e di scambi con altre popolazioni, e – di conseguenza – anche le connesse attività rituali (si pensi all'Ara massima di Ercole) e di socializzazione, come giochi e gare.Con i suoi 600 metri di lunghezza e 140 di larghezza, è considerata la più grande struttura per spettacoli costruita dall'uomo.StoriaLe prime installazioni in legno, probabilmente in gran parte mobili, risalirebbero all'epoca di Tarquinio Prisco, nella prima metà del VI secolo a.C. La costruzione di primi impianti stabili risalirebbe al 329 a.C., quando furono edificati i primi carceres. Le prime strutture in muratura, soprattutto legate alle attrezzature per le gare, si ebbero probabilmente solo nel II secolo a.C. e fu Gaio Giulio Cesare a costruire i primi sedili in muratura e a dare la forma definitiva all'edificio, a partire dal 46 a.C.
The Palatine Hill is the centermost of the Seven Hills of Rome and is one of the most ancient parts of the city. It stands 40 metres above the Roman Forum, looking down upon it on one side, and upon the Circus Maximus on the other.It is the etymological origin of the word palace and its cognates in other languages (Italian palazzo, French palais, German Palast, Czech palác, etc.).EtymologyAccording to Livy (59 BC - AD 17) the Palatine hill got its name from the Arcadian settlement of Pallantium. More likely, it is derived from the noun palātum "palate"; Ennius uses it once for the "heaven", and it may be connected with the Etruscan word for sky, falad.The term palace itself stems from Palatium.MythologyAccording to Roman mythology, the Palatine Hill was the location of the cave, known as the Lupercal, where Romulus and Remus were found by the she-wolf Lupa that kept them alive. According to this legend, the shepherd Faustulus thereafter found the infants, and with his wife Acca Larentia raised the children. When they were older, the boys killed their great-uncle (who seized the throne from their grandfather), and they both decided to build a new city of their own on the banks of the River Tiber.
L'arco di Costantino è un arco trionfale a tre fornici, situato a Roma, a breve distanza dal Colosseo. Oltre alla notevole importanza storica come monumento, l'Arco può essere considerato come un vero e proprio museo di scultura romana ufficiale, straordinario per ricchezza e importanza. Le dimensioni generali del prospetto sono di 21 m di altezza, 25,9 metri di larghezza e 7,4 m di profondità.
The Arch of Constantine is a triumphal arch in Rome, situated between the Colosseum and the Palatine Hill. It was erected by the Roman Senate to commemorate Constantine I's victory over Maxentius at the Battle of Milvian Bridge in 312. Dedicated in 315, it is the largest Roman triumphal arch. The arch spans the Via triumphalis, the way taken by the emperors when they entered the city in triumph.Though dedicated to Constantine, much of the decorative material incorporated earlier work from the time of the emperors Trajan, Hadrian and Marcus Aurelius, and is thus a collage. The last of the existing triumphal arches in Rome, it is also the only one to make extensive use of spolia, reusing several major reliefs from 2nd century imperial monuments, which give a striking and famous stylistic contrast to the sculpture newly created for the arch. This earned it the derisive nickname of Cornacchia di Esopo Aesop's Crow.The arch is 21 m high, 25.9 m wide and 7.4 m deep. It has three archways, the central one being 11.5 m high and 6.5 m wide and the lateral archways 7.4 m by 3.4 m each. Above the archways is placed the attic, composed of brickwork reveted with marble. A staircase within the arch is entered from a door at some height from the ground, on the west side, facing the Palatine Hill. The general design with a main part structured by detached columns and an attic with the main inscription above is modelled after the example of the Arch of Septimius Severus on the Roman Forum.
The Colosseum or Coliseum, also known as the Flavian Amphitheatre, is an oval amphitheatre in the centre of the city of Rome, Italy. Built of concrete and sand, it is the largest amphitheatre ever built. The Colosseum is situated just east of the Roman Forum. Construction began under the emperor Vespasian in AD 72, and was completed in AD 80 under his successor and heir Titus. Further modifications were made during the reign of Domitian (81–96). These three emperors are known as the Flavian dynasty, and the amphitheatre was named in Latin for its association with their family name (Flavius).The Colosseum could hold, it is estimated, between 50,000 and 80,000 spectators, having an average audience of some 65,000; it was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles such as mock sea battles (for only a short time as the hypogeum was soon filled in with mechanisms to support the other activities), animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Classical mythology. The building ceased to be used for entertainment in the early medieval era. It was later reused for such purposes as housing, workshops, quarters for a religious order, a fortress, a quarry, and a Christian shrine.
Tiber IslandDistance: 1.1 miTourist Information Piazza di San Bartolomeo all'isola, 22 Rome, 00153
The Tiber Island is the only island in the Tiber river which runs through Rome. Tiber island is located in the southern bend of the Tiber.The island is boat-shaped, approximately 270m long and 67m wide, and has been connected with bridges to both sides of the river since antiquity. Being a seat of the ancient temple of Asclepius and later a hospital, the island is associated with medicine and healing.HistoryThe island has been linked to the rest of Rome by two bridges since antiquity, and was once called Insula Inter-Duos-Pontes which means "the island between the two bridges". The Ponte Fabricio, the only original bridge in Rome, connects the island from the northeast to the Field of Mars in the rione Sant'Angelo (left bank). The Ponte Cestio, of which only some original parts survived, connects the island to Trastevere on the south (right bank).There is a legend which says that after the fall of the hated tyrant Tarquinius Superbus (510 BC), the angry Romans threw his body into the Tiber. His body then settled onto the bottom where dirt and silt accumulated around it and eventually formed Tiber Island. Another version of the legend says that the people gathered up the wheat and grain of their despised ruler and threw it into the Tiber, where it eventually became the foundation of the island.
The Temple of Venus and Roma Latin: Templum Veneris et Romae is thought to have been the largest temple in Ancient Rome. Located on the Velian Hill, between the eastern edge of the Forum Romanum and the Colosseum, it was dedicated to the goddesses Venus Felix ("Venus the Bringer of Good Fortune") and Roma Aeterna ("Eternal Rome"). The architect was the emperor Hadrian and construction began in 121. It was officially inaugurated by Hadrian in 135, and finished in 141 under Antoninus Pius. Damaged by fire in 307, it was restored with alterations by the emperor Maxentius.HistoryIn order to build the temple, erected on the remnants of the porticoed vestibule to Emperor Nero's Domus Aurea, the Colossus of Nero was moved and placed near the amphitheatre, which shortly afterwards became known as the Colosseum. Unimpressed by his emperor's architectural skills, Hadrian's most brilliant architect, Apollodorus, made a scornful remark on the size of the seated statues within the cellae, saying that they would surely hurt their heads if they tried to stand up from their thrones. Apollodorus was banished and executed not long after this.
Ponte Sisto is a bridge in Rome's historic centre, spanning the river Tiber. It connects Via dei Pettinari in the Rione of Regola to Piazza Trilussa in Trastevere. The construction of the current bridge occurred between 1473 and 1479, and was commissioned by Pope Sixtus IV (r. 1471-84), after whom it is named, from the architect Baccio Pontelli, who reused the foundations of a prior Roman bridge, the Pons Aurelius, which had been destroyed during the early Middle Ages. Currently traffic on the bridge is restricted to pedestrians.Roman Pons AureliusThe predecessor bridge to Ponte Sisto, the Pons Aurelius, was first mentioned by authors in the 4th and 5th centuries and was later known in the Middle Ages as "Pons Antoninus", "Pons Antonini in Arenula", and "Pons Ianicularis id est pons ruptus vulgariter nominatus et Tremelus et Antoninus".The Pons Antoninus was partially destroyed in 772, at the time the Lombard king Desiderius took Rome, and rebuilt in its current form by Pope Sixtus IV, whose name it carries to this day.Renaissance Ponte SistoThe bridge is architecturally characteristic because of the circular "oculus" or eye lightening the masonry of its central spandrel: this was erected to diminish the river's pressure on the bridge in case of flood.On the left bridge head are placed the copies of two marble slabs (removed in the 1990s after continued vandalism) bearing an elegant Latin inscription composed by Renaissance humanist Bartolomeo Platina in honour of Sixtus IV in occasion of the construction of the bridge. They recite:
Ponte Sisto, noto anche come pons Agrippae, pons Aurelius, pons Antonini, pons Valentiniani o ponte Gianicolense, è un ponte che collega piazza S. Vincenzo Pallotti a piazza Trilussa, a Roma, nei rioni Regola e Trastevere.DescrizioneIl ponte fu costruito per permettere l'attraversamento del Tevere da papa Sisto IV tra il 1473 e il 1479 sul sito di un più antico ponte romano. Collega le due rive del fiume fra via del Pettinari e piazza Trilussa.Un primo ponte venne costruito da Agrippa, amico e genero dell'imperatore Augusto prima della sua morte nel 12 a.C., probabilmente per mettere in collegamento le sue proprietà sulle opposte rive del Tevere. L'esistenza di questo ponte è attestata dall'iscrizione su un cippo dei magistrati che si occupavano del fiume (curatores Tiberis) scoperto nel 1887, che parla di lavori sul ponte all'epoca dell'imperatore Claudio. Il ponte fu in un primo momento identificato con resti di piloni visibili nel fiume a valle di ponte Sisto, che appartengono invece probabilmente ad una fortificazione tarda del fiume. Un frammento dei Fasti ostiensi scoperto nel 1938 e che parla di restauri al ponte di Agrippa sotto Antonino Pio, ha permesso di identificarlo con il "ponte Aurelio" o "ponte di Antonino". Dalla posizione, in quanto permetteva di raggiungere il Gianicolo ebbe anche il nome di "ponte Gianicolense".
The Roman Ghetto or Ghetto of Rome, Ghetto di Roma, was a Jewish ghetto established in 1555 in the Rione Sant'Angelo, in Rome, Italy, in the area surrounded by present-day Via del Portico d'Ottavia, Lungotevere dei Cenci, Via del Progresso and Via di Santa Maria del Pianto, close to the River Tiber and the Theatre of Marcellus. With the exception of brief periods under Napoleon from 1808 to 1815 and under the Roman Republics of 1798-99 and 1849, the ghetto of Rome was controlled by the papacy until the capture of Rome in 1870.
The Temple of Saturn is a temple to the god Saturn in ancient Rome. The original dedication of a temple to Saturn was traditionally dated to 497 BC, but ancient writers disagreed greatly about the history of this site. The ruins of the temple stand at the foot of the Capitoline Hill in the western end of the Forum Romanum.ArchaeologyGradual collapse has left nothing but the remains of the front portico standing. The partially preserved pediment displays the inscription Senatus Populusque Romanus incendio consumptum restituit, meaning "The Senate and People of Rome have restored consumed by fire". The pediment and eight surviving columns represent one of the iconic images of Rome's ancient architectural heritage.HistoryConstruction of the temple is thought to have begun in the later years of the Roman Kingdom under Tarquinius Superbus. Its inauguration by the Consul Titus Lartius took place in the early years of the Republic. The temple was completely reconstructed by Munatius Plancus in 42 BC.
The Porticus Octaviae is an ancient structure in Rome.The structure was built by Augustus in the name of his sister, Octavia Minor, sometime after 27 BC, in place of the Porticus Metelli. The colonnaded walks of the portico enclosed the temples of Jupiter Stator and Juno Regina, next to the Theater of Marcellus. It burned in 80 AD and was restored, probably by Domitian, and again after a second fire in 203 AD by Septimius Severus and Caracalla. It was adorned with foreign marble and contained many famous works of art, enumerated in Pliny's Natural History. The structure was damaged by an earthquake in 442 AD, when two of the destroyed columns were replaced with an archway which still stands. The church of Sant'Angelo in Pescheria was built in the ruins circa 770 AD.Besides the pre-existing temples, the enclosure included a library erected by Octavia in memory of her son Marcus Claudius Marcellus, the curia Octaviae, and a schola. Whether these were different parts of one building, or entirely different structures, is uncertain. It was probably in the curia that the senate is recorded as meeting. The whole is referred to by Pliny the Elder as Octaviae opera.
The Palazzo Corsini is a prominent late-baroque palace in Rome, erected for the Corsini family between 1730–1740 as an elaboration of the prior building on the site, a 15th-century villa of the Riario family, based on designs of Ferdinando Fuga. It is located in the Trastevere section of the city, and stands beside the Villa Farnesina. During 1659–1689, the former Riario palace had hosted the eccentric Christina, Queen of Sweden, who abdicated, converted, and moved to Rome. Under her patronage, this was the site for the first meetings of the Roman Accademia dell'Arcadia.In 1736, the Florentine Cardinal Neri Maria Corsini, nephew of Pope Clement XII (formerly Cardinal Lorenzo Corsini), acquired the villa and land, and commissioned the structure now standing. During the Napoleonic occupation of Rome, the palace hosted Joseph Bonaparte.Today, the palace hosts some offices of the National Academy of Science (Accademia dei Lincei) and the Galleria Corsini. The gardens, which rise up the Janiculum hill, are part of the Orto Botanico dell'Università di Roma "La Sapienza", a botanical garden. This also, is not the sole Palazzo Corsini in Italy; there are a handful of palaces belonging to various lines of this Florentine family, which acquired and built this Roman palace, sometime referred to as Palazzo Corsini Lungarno only upon the ascension of their family member to the papacy. Another Corsini palace of note include the Palazzo Corsini al Parione, facing the banks of the Arno in Florence.
The Church of the Gesù is the mother church of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits), a Catholic religious order. Officially named Chiesa del Santissimo Nome di Gesù all'Argentina (Church of the Most Holy Name of Jesus at the "Argentina"), its facade is "the first truly baroque façade", introducing the baroque style into architecture. The church served as model for innumerable Jesuit churches all over the world, especially in the Americas. The Church of the Gesù is located in the Piazza del Gesù in Rome.First conceived in 1551 by Saint Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Jesuits Society of Jesus, and active during the Protestant Reformation and the subsequent Catholic Reformation, the Gesù was also the home of the Superior General of the Society of Jesus until the suppression of the order in 1773. The church having been subsequently regained by the Jesuits, the adjacent palazzo is now a residence for Jesuit scholars from around the world studying at the Gregorian University in preparation for ordination to the priesthood.
Largo di Torre Argentina Distance: 0.7 miTourist Information Largo di Torre Argentina Rome, Italy 00186
El Collegio Romano fue creado por San Ignacio de Loyola en 1550, luego de la fundación de la Compañía de Jesús (1534), con el objetivo de cubrir todo el periodo formativo, desde los estudios elementales a los universitarios.HistoriaGracias a la voluntad del Papa Gregorio XIII fue construida su sede definitiva, entre 1582 y 1584, en el rione Pigna, en la plaza conocida entonces como Campo Camilliano, que a partir de 1584 se llama plaza del Collegio Romano.El Collegio Romano fue, entre otras cosas, teatro de grandes debates entre Galileo Galilei y Paolo Segneri. Por él pasaron también, Giuseppe Calandrelli (fundador del observatorio astronómico del Collegio, en 1787) y Angelo Secchi, célebre astrónomo y director del observatorio desde 1850. Fue sede, además sede del Museo Kircheriano, del cual aún conserva parte de la colección.Entre 1876 y 1931 el Collegio Romano fue la sede del Regio Ufficio Centrale di Meteorologia, núcleo central del actual servicio de meteorología de la Fuerza Aérea Italiana.Actualmente, el ala oriental del palacio es ocupada por el Ministerio de los Bienes y las Actividades Culturales de Italia, y el ala que asoma en la plaza homónima, es ocupada por el Liceo clásico estatal Ennio Quirino Visconti
Santa Maria sopra Minerva is one of the major churches of the Roman Catholic Order of Preachers in Rome, Italy. The church's name derives from the fact that the first Christian church structure on the site was built directly over the ruins or foundations of a temple dedicated to the Egyptian goddess Isis, which had been erroneously ascribed to the Greco-Roman goddess Minerva.The church is located in Piazza della Minerva one block behind the Pantheon in the Pigna rione of Rome within the ancient district known as the Campus Martius. The present church and disposition of surrounding structures is visible in a detail from the Nolli Map of 1748.While many other medieval churches in Rome have been given Baroque makeovers that cover Gothic structures, the Minerva is the only extant example of original Gothic church building in Rome. Behind a restrained Renaissance style façade the Gothic interior features arched vaulting that was painted blue with gilded stars and trimmed with brilliant red ribbing in a 19th-century Neo-Gothic restoration.
Santi Apostoli, Rome Distance: 0.5 miTourist Information Piazza dei Santi Apostoli Rome, Italy 00187
La basilica dei Santi XII Apostoli è un luogo di culto cattolico del centro storico di Roma situato nel rione Trevi nell'omonima Piazza Santi Apostoli. Ha la dignità di basilica minore.StoriaIn questo luogo, nel secolo IV papa Giulio I fece costruire una chiesa che venne chiamata Basilica Iulia dal nome del fondatore. La basilica viene già citata in testi del secolo V con la qualifica di "titulus apostolorum". In età bizantina, sui resti della chiesa originaria venne ricostruita una nuova basilica con pianta a croce greca, la cui edificazione fu poi proseguita da papa Pelagio I sotto il regno Narsete, nel VI secolo. La basilica conserva le reliquie degli apostoli Filippo e Giacomo il Minore.Quella dei Santi Apostoli è l'unica basilica di Roma che non sia stata edificata su edifici romani preesistenti, anche se furono precocemente utilizzati materiali di spoglio (si pensa provenienti dalle terme di Costantino, e non, come vuole una leggenda, dal vicino Foro di Traiano). Il modello architettonico della chiesa originale era quello a pianta centrale del bizantino Apostoleion di Costantinopoli
Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza Distance: 0.6 miTourist Information Corso del Rinascimento 40 Rome, Italy 00186
Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza is a Roman Catholic church in Rome. Built in 1642-1660 by the architect Francesco Borromini, the church is a masterpiece of Roman Baroque architecture.The church is at the rear of a courtyard at 40, Corso del Rinascimento; the complex is now used by the Archives of the City of Rome.HistoryIn the 14th century, there was a chapel here for the palace of the University of Rome. The University is called La Sapienza, and the church was dedicated to Saint Yves (patron saint of jurists). When a design was commissioned from Borromini in the 17th century, he adapted to the already existing palazzo. He choose a plan resembling a star of David - which would have been recognized at the time as a Star of Solomon, symbolizing wisdom - and merged a curved facade of the church with the courtyard of the palace. The corkscrew lantern of the dome was novel. The complex rhythms of the interior have a dazzling geometry to them.The main artwork of the interior is the altarpiece by Pietro da Cortona, portraying St. Yves.ExteriorThe church rises at the end of a courtyard, known as the courtyard of Giacomo della Porta. The façade is concave, molding the church into the courtyard as if completing it rather than disrupting it. The façade itself looks like a continuation of the courtyard arches except with the openings filled in with small windows, a door, and a larger glass window above the door. Above the façade is a large parapet structure so that only the higher stages of the church is seen past the façade. A key exterior aspect is the top of the church: the lantern of Sant'Ivo is topped with a spiral shape, surmounted by a Cross.
L'appartamento si trova a soli 1 minuto da Piazza Farnese, 2 minuti da Campo de' Fiori, 10 minuti da Piazza Navona, in Via in Caterina, una piccola traversa di una delle vie più belle ed eleganti, Via Giulia .
Siamo nel cuore del centro storico di Roma, l'abitazione è ottimamente collegata dai mezzi pubblici e ubicata in una posizione davvero strategica e ideale per visitare la città eterna.
I vicoli a pochi passi dall'appartamento presentano numerose boutiques d'abbigliamento, ristoranti e locali notturni.
la dolce vita : IDEM
st. john's house dietro il colosseo x 4/5 persone
sopra a san Pietro: appartamento per 4/6 persone
The apartment is located only 1 minute from Piazza Farnese, 2 minutes from Campo de 'Fiori, 10 minutes from Piazza Navona, Via in Catherine, a small side of one of the most beautiful and elegant Via Giulia.
We are in the heart of Rome's historic center, the house is very well connected by public transport and is located in a strategic position ideal for visiting the Eternal City.
The lanes are a short walk from numerous clothing boutiques, restaurants and nightclubs.
Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi is a fountain in the Piazza Navona in Rome, Italy. It was designed in 1651 by Gian Lorenzo Bernini for Pope Innocent X whose family palace, the Palazzo Pamphili, faced onto the piazza as did the church of Sant'Agnese in Agone of which Innocent was the sponsor.The base of the fountain is a basin from the centre of which travertine rocks rise to support four river gods and above them, an ancient Egyptian obelisk surmounted with the Pamphili family emblem of a dove with an olive twig. Collectively, they represent four major rivers of the four continents through which papal authority had spread: the Nile representing Africa, the Danube representing Europe, the Ganges representing Asia, and the Río de la Plata representing the Americas.DesignBernini's design was selected in competition. The circumstances of his victory are described as follows in Filippo Baldinucci's The life of Cavaliere Bernini (1682):Public fountains in Rome served multiple purposes: first, they were highly needed sources of water for neighbors in the centuries prior to home plumbing. Second, they were monuments to the papal patrons. Earlier Bernini fountains had been the Fountain of the Triton in Piazza Barberini, the Fountain of the Moor in the southern end of Piazza Navona erected during the Barberini papacy, and the Neptune and Triton for Villa Peretti Montalto, whose statuary now resides at Victoria and Albert Museum in London.
Palazzo Madama in Rome is the seat of the Senate of the Italian Republic.It was built atop the ruins of the ancient baths of Nero, next to Piazza Navona. The terrain had been acquired in the Middle Ages by the monks of the Abbey of Farfa, who later ceded it to France.The new building was begun at the end of the 15th century and completed in 1505, for the Medici family. It housed two Medici cardinals and cousins, Giovanni and Giulio, who both later became popes as Leo X and Clement VII, respectively. Catherine de' Medici, Clement VII's niece, also lived here before she was married to Henry, son of King Francis I of France in 1533. Cardinal Francesco Maria Del Monte, patron of the artist Caravaggio, lived there until his death in 1627.The palace takes its name from Madama Margherita of Austria, illegitimate daughter of Emperor Charles V, who married another illegitimate son, Alessandro de' Medici and, after his death, Ottavio Farnese. Thus part of the art collection of the Florentine Medici family was inherited by the Farnese family.
Appena entrate alzate gli occhi al cielo, un fascio di sole catturerà la vostra attenzione, uno spettacolare raggio di luce filtra obliquo attraverso l’oculus, l’apertura circolare larga 9 m sulla sommità della cupola, illuminando l’intero edificio.
In caso di pioggia riparatevi e osservate l’acqua che cade giù prima di sparire nei 22 fori quasi invisibili del pavimento.
Dedicato al culto di tutti gli dei (Pan- tutti Theon- divinità), il Pantheon fu costruito dall’imperatore Adriano tra il 118 e il 125 d.c. sui resti di un precedente tempio del 27 a.c. di cui porta ancora l’iscrizione e consacrato come chiesa cristiana nel 609 con il nome di Santa Maria ad Martyres.
Nel 1870 è divenuto sacrario dei re d’Italia, e accoglie, le spoglie di Vittorio Emanuele II, Umberto I e Margherita di Savoia. Vi è anche sepolto il sommo artista rinascimentale Raffaello Sanzio.
San Luigi dei Francesi Distance: 0.6 miTourist Information Piazza di San Luigi de' Francesi, 21 Rome, Italy 00186
The Church of St. Louis of the French (San Luigi dei Francesi, Saint Louis des Français, S. Ludovici Francorum de Urbe) is a Roman Catholic church in Rome, not far from Piazza Navona. The church is dedicated to the Virgin Mary, to St. Denis the Areopagite and St. Louis IX, king of France. The church was designed by Giacomo della Porta and built by Domenico Fontana between 1518 and 1589, and completed through the personal intervention of Catherine de' Medici, who donated to it some property in the area. It is the national church in Rome of France. It is a titular church. The current Cardinal-Priest of the Titulus S. Ludovici Francorum de Urbe is André Vingt-Trois, Archbishop of Paris.
Sant'Agostino es una iglesia en Roma, ubicada en proximidades de la plaza Navona. Es una de las primeras iglesias romanas construidas durante el Renacimiento. La construcción fue fundada por Guillaume d'Estouteville, arzobispo de Ruan y canciller papal. La fachada se construyó en 1483 por Giacomo di Pietrasanta, usando mármol cogido del Coliseo.La obra de arte más famosa alojada en la iglesia es la Virgen de Loreto de Caravaggio. La iglesia contiene también un lienzo de Guercino representando a los Santos Agustín, Juan Evangelista y Jerónimo; un fresco del Profeta Isaías de Rafael; y las estatuas de la Virgen con Niño, de Andrea Sansovino y de la Virgen del Parto obra de su alumno, Jacopo Sansovino. Esta segunda estatua se considera tradicionalmente como fuente de milagros. Según una leyenda, se hizo adaptando una antigua estatua de Agripina sosteniendo a Nerón en sus brazos. A principios de su carrera, el artista del siglo XVII, Giovanni Lanfranco, pintó al fresco el techo de la Capilla Buongiovanni en el transepto izquierdo con una Asunción. También conserva una escultura de Melchiorre Cafà de Santo Tomás de Villanova distribuyendo limosna, acabada por su mentor, Ercole Ferrata. Pietro Bracci también diseñó y esculpió la tumba policromada del cardenal Giuseppe Renato Imperiali (1741).
The Palazzo Chigi is a palace or noble residence in Rome and the official residence of the Prime Minister of the Italian Republic. Since February 22nd 2014, the occupant of Palazzo Chigi has been Matteo Renzi.The Palazzo, overlooking the Piazza Colonna and the Via del Corso, was begun in 1562 by Giacomo della Porta and completed by Carlo Maderno in 1580 for the Aldobrandini family. In 1659 it was purchased by the Chigi family. It was then remodelled by Felice della Greca and Giovan Battista Contini. It has five floors, a broad stairway that leads to the living rooms, and a courtyard decorated with a fountain, designed by Giacomo della Porta. The fountain has been copied in many sites in Rome and other Italian cities.In 1878 it became the residence of the Austro-Hungarian Ambassador to Italy. In 1916 it was bought by the Italian state and became the seat of the Minister for Colonial Affairs. Later it was the official residence of the Italian Minister of Foreign Affairs. In 1961 it became the official meeting place of Council of Ministers whose President is the head of the Italian government.The Library Hall was commissioned by Agostino Chigi at the end of the 17th century in order to house the enormous library of cardinal Flavio Chigi. The project was realized by Giovan Battista Contini, a famous architect of the period. The Chigi library or Chigiana contained thousands of valuable manuscripts, to a large part based on the personal library of Pope Alexander VII, a member of the Chigi family. Since the time of Pope Benedict XV, the Vatican attempted to acquire this library, but lacked the necessary funds. Eventually, Pietro Tacchi Venturi was tasked by Pope Pius XI to negotiate the purchase with the newly formed fascist government of Benito Mussolini. Venturi managed to convince Mussolini to donate the library to the Vatican free of charge.
San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane Distance: 0.5 miTourist Information Via del Quirinale, 23 Rome, Italy 00187
The church of San Carlo alle Quattro Fontane, also called San Carlino, is a Roman Catholic church in Rome, Italy. The church was designed by the architect Francesco Borromini and it was his first independent commission. It is an iconic masterpiece of Baroque architecture, built as part of a complex of monastic buildings on the Quirinal Hill for the Spanish Trinitarians, an order dedicated to the freeing of Christian slaves. He received the commission in 1634, under the patronage of Cardinal Francesco Barberini, whose palace was across the road. However, this financial backing did not last and subsequently the building project suffered various financial difficulties. It is one of at least three churches in Rome dedicated to San Carlo, including San Carlo ai Catinari and San Carlo al Corso.HistoryThe monastic buildings and the cloister were completed first after which construction of the church took place during the period 1638-1641 and in 1646 it was dedicated to Saint Charles Borromeo. Although the idea for the serpentine facade must have been conceived fairly early on, probably in the mid-1630s, it was only constructed towards the end of Borromini's life and the upper part was not completed until after the architect's death.The site for the new church and its monastery was at the south-west corner of the "Quattro Fontane" which refers to the four corner fountains set on the oblique at the intersection of two roads, the Strada Pia and the Strada Felice. Bernini's oval church of Sant'Andrea al Quirinale would later be built further along the Strada Pia.
Palazzo Barberini is a palace in Rome, facing the Piazza Barberini in Rione Trevi. It houses the Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Antica.HistoryThe sloping site had formerly been occupied by a garden-vineyard of the Sforza family, in which a palazzetto had been built in 1549. The sloping site passed from one cardinal to another during the sixteenth century, with no project fully getting off the ground.When Cardinal Alessandro Sforza met financial hardships, the still semi-urban site was purchased in 1625 by Maffeo Barberini, of the Barberini family, who became Pope Urban VIII.Three great architects worked to create the Palazzo, each contributing his own style and character to the building. Carlo Maderno, then at work extending the nave of St Peter's, was commissioned to enclose the Villa Sforza within a vast Renaissance block along the lines of Palazzo Farnese; however, the design quickly evolved into a precedent-setting combination of an urban seat of princely power combined with a garden front that had the nature of a suburban villa with a semi-enclosed garden.Maderno began in 1627, assisted by his nephew Francesco Borromini. When Maderno died in 1629, Borromini was passed over and the commission was awarded to Bernini, a young prodigy then better known as a sculptor. Borromini stayed on regardless and the two architects worked together, albeit briefly, on this project and at the Palazzo Spada. Works were completed by Bernini in 1633.