Baden-Powell House, colloquially known as B-P House, is a Scouting hostel and conference centre in South Kensington, London, which was built as a tribute to Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting. The house, owned by The Scout Association, hosts a small exhibition relating to Scouting in its current form and a granite statue by Don Potter.The building committee, chaired by Sir Harold Gillett, Lord Mayor of London, purchased the site in 1956, and assigned Ralph Tubbs to design the house in the modern architectural style. The foundation stone was laid in 1959 by World Chief Guide Olave, Lady Baden-Powell, and it was opened in 1961 by Queen Elizabeth II. The largest part of the £400,000 cost was provided by the Scout Movement itself. Over the years, the house has been refurbished several times, so that it now provides modern and affordable lodging for Scouts, Guides, their families and the general public staying in London. The building also hosts conference and event space for hire.HistoryActing on a 1942 initiative by Chief Scout Lord Somers, a formal Baden-Powell House Committee was established by The Scout Association in 1953 under the direction of Sir Harold Gillett, later Lord Mayor of London. The committee's directive was to build a hostel to provide Scouts a place to stay at reasonable cost while visiting London. For this purpose, in 1956 the committee purchased a bombed-out property at the intersection of Cromwell Road and Queen's Gate at a cost of £39,000.
Cadogan Place is a street in Belgravia, London. It is named after Earl Cadogan and runs parallel to the lower half of Sloane Street. It gives its names to the extensive Cadogan Place Gardens (not open to the public).Literary referencesCharles Dickens writes of it in Nicholas Nickleby:Cadogan Place is the home of Fanny and Robert Assingham in Henry James's late novel The Golden Bowl.Notable residents 44 Cadogan Place was home to William Wilberforce for the last two years of his life and a blue plaque records his death there in 1833. 52 Cadogan Place was the London birthplace, childhood and family home of Harold Macmillan (1894–1986), former Prime Minister of the United Kingdom (1957–1963). 79 Cadogan Place is the former home of Lord and Lady Colin Campbell who provided Victorian London with a sensational divorce trial in 1886.
John Lewis (department store)Distance: 1.5 miTourist Information Partnership House, 1C Carlisle Place London, SW1E 5
John Lewis is a chain of upmarket department stores operating throughout the United Kingdom. The chain is owned by the John Lewis Partnership, which was created alongside the first store in the mid-1800s. The first John Lewis store was opened in 1864 in Oxford Street, London. The chain's slogan is "Never Knowingly Undersold" which has been in use since 1925.There are 46 stores throughout England, Scotland and Wales, including 12 "At Home" stores, and "flexible format" stores in Exeter and York.On 1 January 2008, the Oxford Street store was awarded a Royal Warrant from Her Majesty the Queen as: "suppliers of haberdashery and household goods". John Lewis Reading is also the holder of a Royal Warrant from the Queen in 2007 as suppliers of household and fancy goods. Peter Jones, located in Sloane Square, Chelsea, is the holder of a Royal Warrant to both HRH The Prince of Wales and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh as draper and furnisher.HistoryEarly historyThe flagship store on Oxford Street began as a drapery shop, opened by John Lewis in 1864. In 1905 Lewis acquired a second store, Peter Jones in Sloane Square, London. His son, John Spedan Lewis, founded the John Lewis Partnership in 1920 after thinking up the idea during his days in charge of Peter Jones. John Spedan Lewis also thought up the idea of the Gazette, the partnership's in-house magazine, first published in 1918.
Ognisko Polskie was founded to maintain the cohesion of the free Polish community in exile in the United Kingdom during the Second World War. It has served since to provide a home for Poles to meet and build friendships, as a place where Polish culture and history is kept alive and Polish identity and independence maintained.
In the 21st century Ognisko Polskie aims to continue to be a Centre of Polish life in the United Kingdom, where members can maintain and strengthen their relations with each other and the wider community, promote Polish culture through hosting events, supporting education and arts and providing a place where Polish generosity and warmth can be extended to all.
We are pleased to announce that Ognisko Polskie will develop a national Centre of Excellence to initiate, promote, implement and support the activities in the field of Culture and the Arts.
We will hold exhibitions, meetings, lectures, classes and seminars both alone or with others. We will gather artists, critics, art lovers, representatives of the academic world and of those working in the cultural sphere both in UK and abroad.
Our restaurant reopened and created by Jan Korybut Woroniecki is open since 18th September 2013.
Cover photo by Marek Abramowicz.
The Embassy of Thailand in London is the diplomatic mission of Thailand in the United Kingdom. It has been located at its current address since 1965. The building is one of a group of Grade II listed buildings in Queen's Gate, which includes the Bangladesh High Commission next door.Thailand also maintains an Office of the Air Attaché at 2 Victoria Road, South Kensington, an Office of Commercial Attaché at 11 Hertford Street, Mayfair and an Office of Educational Attaché at 28 Prince's Gate, South Kensington. The Ambassador's Residence is located in a separate building on Tregunter Road, Brompton.
The Trinidad & Tobago High Commission London is responsible for it's national residents and creating opportunities for Trinidad and Tobago within the United Kingdom and Europe in the fields of foreign trade, culture and tourism.
The Embassy of Turkey in London is the diplomatic mission of Turkey in the United Kingdom. There was formerly an embassy of the Ottoman Empire in London dating from 1793; this was suspended in 1914 following the outbreak of the First World War and replaced by the embassy of the new Republic of Turkey in 1924. From 1901-1954 the embassy was located at 69 Portland Place before moving to its current location; however this building was kept and is currently used as the Ambassador's Residence.The embassy is housed in one of a group of Grade I listed buildings at 38—48 Belgrave Square.Turkey also maintains a Consulate at Rutland Lodge, Rutland Gardens, Knightsbridge.
Holy Trinity Church, South Kensington, is an Anglican church located on Prince Consort Road in the City of Westminster, London, England. The current building dates from 1901 and was built by George Frederick Bodley and Cecil Greenwood Hare.Edward Ashmore (British Army officer) and Gilbert Spencer were both married in the church.
The Royal Geographical Society is the UK's learned society and professional body for geography, founded in 1830 for the advancement of geographical sciences. Today, it is the leading centre for geographers and geographical learning. The Society has over 16,500 members and its work reaches millions of people each year through publications, research groups and lectures.HistoryThe Geographical Society of London was founded in 1830 under the name Geographical Society of London as an institution to promote the 'advancement of geographical science'. It later absorbed the older African Association, which had been founded by Sir Joseph Banks in 1788, as well as the Raleigh Club and the Palestine Association.Like many learned societies, it had started as a dining club in London, where select members held informal dinner debates on current scientific issues and ideas.Founding members of the Society included Sir John Barrow, Sir John Franklin and Sir Francis Beaufort. Under the patronage of King William IV it later became known as The Royal Geographical Society (RGS) and was granted its Royal Charter under Queen Victoria in 1859.From 1830 – 1840 the RGS met in the rooms of the Horticultural Society in Regent Street, London and from 1854 -1870 at 15 Whitehall Place, London. In 1870, the Society finally found a home when it moved to 1 Savile Row, London – an address that quickly became associated with adventure and travel.
One Hyde Park is a major residential and retail complex located in Knightsbridge, London. The development includes three retail units (Rolex, McLaren Automotive and Abu Dhabi Islamic Bank) totalling 385000sqft and 86 residential properties marketed with prices starting at around £20 million.The building is owned by Project Grande (Guernsey) Limited, a joint venture between the Christian Candy-owned CPC Group and Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani, former Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Qatar. Graham Stirk led the trem at Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners who designed the building. built by Laing O'Rourke It was financed via a £1.15 billion development loan from Eurohypo AG. Candy & Candy were the development managers and interior designers for the scheme.HistoryPlanning consent for the building was granted in June 2006. Demolition of the previous building on the site took place between July and December 2006. Construction work began in January 2007. The superstructure of the building was completed in March 2009. Fitting-out of the building began in April 2009. In August 2010 a penthouse in the development was rumoured to be sold for £140 million, making it the most expensive residential property in Britain. Also in that month it was announced that McLaren Automotive would be opening a car showroom in the building in early 2011. However, a newspaper report at the time of the development's launch party in January 2011 indicated that according to Land Registry records the sale of only five properties had been completed - the 'recordbreaking' £140 million penthouse being sold to the development's own financial backer Sheik Hamad bin Jassim bin Jaber Al Thani for £40.5 million in August 2010. One to an Indian family in mining and oil and an adjoining penthouse to One Hyde Park developer Christian Candy, who reportedly paid £31 million, "about £100 million less than the asking price".
The Embassy of Kuwait in London is the diplomatic mission of Kuwait in the United Kingdom. It is located just off Knightsbridge at Albert Gate, one of the entrances to Hyde Park. It is situated immediately opposite the French Embassy.The building, along with the rest of Albert Gate, was the creation of British architect Thomas Cubitt; at the time of their construction in the 1840s they were by far the tallest structures in the neighbourhood.Kuwait also maintains a Health Office at 40 Devonshire Street, Marylebone and an Investment Office at Wren House, 15 Carter Lane, City of London.In 2011 a protest was held outside the embassy by Kuwaiti Bidoons alleging that the Kuwaiti government discriminates against their community.
The Embassy of France in London is the diplomatic mission of France to the United Kingdom. Located just off Knightsbridge at Albert Gate, one of the entrances to Hyde Park, it is situated immediately opposite the Embassy of Kuwait.This building, along with the rest of Albert Gate and neighbouring buildings, were designed by the British architect Thomas Cubitt; his son, George Cubitt, who was created Baron Ashcombe in 1892, is Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's great-great-grandfather.At the time of these buildings' construction in the 1840s, they were by far the tallest structures in the neighbourhood.The Republic of France also owns various premises along the Cromwell Road, South Kensington which house its Consular, Cultural, Science & Technology and Visa sections. It is also has a Trade Mission at 28-29 Haymarket and a Paymaster & Financial Comptroller Section at 30 Queen’s Gate Terrace, South Kensington.
The Diana, Princess of Wales Memorial Fountain is a memorial in London dedicated to Diana, Princess of Wales, who died in a car crash in 1997. It was designed to express Diana's spirit and love of children.The fountain is located in the southwest corner of Hyde Park, just south of the Serpentine lake and east of the Serpentine Gallery. Its cornerstone was laid in September 2003 and it was officially opened on 6 July 2004 by Queen Elizabeth II. Also present were Diana's younger brother Charles Spencer, her ex-husband Prince Charles, and her sons William and Harry.DesignThe fountain was designed by Kathryn Gustafson, an American landscape artist, and cost £3.6 million. Gustafson said she had wanted the fountain, which was built to the south of the Serpentine, to be accessible and to reflect Diana's "inclusive" personality. Gustafson said: "Above all I hope that it provides a fitting memorial for the princess and does credit to the amazing person that she was."ConstructionThe 545 individual pieces of Cornish granite were cut using sophisticated computer-guided cutting machines by S. McConnell & Sons, in Kilkeel, Northern Ireland.
Local Business Near Video365
Wonder Winterland In Hyde Park Distance: 0.7 miTourist Information hyde park London, United Kingdom W2 2UH
The Boat House Hyde Park Distance: 0.7 miTourist Information Serpentine Road London, United Kingdom W2 2
Winter Wonderland Hyde Park Distance: 0.6 miTourist Information Lincoln and I-25 London, United Kingdom W2 1
Hyde Park is one of the largest parks in London and one of its Royal Parks. The park is the largest of four that form a chain from the entrance of Kensington Palace through Kensington Gardens and Hyde Park, via Hyde Park Corner and Green Park past the main entrance to Buckingham Palace and on through Saint James's Park to Horse Guards Parade in Whitehall. The park is divided by the Serpentine and the Long Water.The park is contiguous with Kensington Gardens which are often assumed to be part of Hyde Park; Kensington Gardens has been separate since 1728, when Queen Caroline divided them. Hyde Park covers 142 hectares (350 acres) and Kensington Gardens covers 111 hectares (275 acres), giving a total area of 253 hectares (625 acres), making their combined area larger than the Principality of Monaco (196ha), though smaller than the Bois de Boulogne in Paris (845 hectares, or 2090 acres), New York City's Central Park (341ha), and Dublin's Phoenix Park (707 hectares, or 1,750 acres). To the southeast, outside the park, is Hyde Park Corner. During daylight, the two parks merge seamlessly into each other but Kensington Gardens closes at dusk and Hyde Park remains open throughout the year from 5 a.m. until midnight.
Grosvenor House was one of the largest private townhouses situated on Park Lane in London. The house was the home of the Grosvenor family (better known as the Dukes of Westminster) for more than a century. Their original London dwelling was on Millbank but, after the family had developed their Mayfair estates, they moved to Park Lane to build a house worthy of their wealth, status and influence in the 19th century.Brief historyThe site was occupied by a small house named 'Gloucester House' with the front entrance on Upper Grosvenor Street. This house was purchased by Robert Grosvenor, 1st Marquess of Westminster in 1805 for £20,000. He spent £17,000 on extending the house to make it more fashionable with the times. In 1821, a large picture gallery 50ft long was added to the west of the house. It was in here that many of the Grosvenor treasures were held.Another extension was added in 1842, in the form of a 110ft long classical-style colonnaded entrance screen on Upper Grosvenor Street. At each end was a triumphal arch with pediments above sculpted with the Grosvenor arms. Thomas Cundy, the architect of this vast house then proposed a larger mansion to go all the way along to Park Street extending all the way to 230ft. This was dropped as the 2nd Marquess thought it was to be too lavish.
Le Gavroche is a restaurant at 43 Upper Brook Street in Mayfair, London. It was opened in 1967 by Michel and Albert Roux although the original premises were at 61 Lower Sloane Street until 1981.OverviewThe restaurant offers classical French food, although some dishes are more modern. Notable dishes are Soufflé Suissesse (cheese soufflé baked on double cream); Le Caneton Gavroche (whole poached duck in a light consommé served with three sauces for two); and Omelette Rothschild.Albert's son Michel Roux Jr is the current chef patron having taken over the kitchen in 1991. Under his stewardship Le Gavroche has been consistently placed in Restaurant's Top 50. The current head chef is Rachel Humphrey.Chefs who have worked in the kitchen of Le Gavroche include Marco Pierre White, Gordon Ramsay, Marcus Wareing, Bryn Williams, and Michael Smith.Le Gavroche is listed in the Guinness Book of World Records as having served the most expensive meal per head when three diners spent $20,945 on one meal (including cigars, spirits, and six bottles of wine costing $19,248) in September 1997.
The Animals in War Memorial is a war memorial in Hyde Park, London. It is located on Park Lane, at the junction with Upper Brook Street, on the eastern edge of the park.The memorial was designed by English sculptor David Backhouse to commemorate the countless animals that have served and died under British military command throughout history. It was unveiled in November 2004 by Princess Anne, the Princess Royal.HistoryThe memorial was inspired by Jilly Cooper's book Animals in War, and was made possible by a specially created fund of £1.4 million from public donations of which Cooper was a co-trustee. The memorial consists of a 55 ft by 58 ft (16.8 m by 17.7 m) curved Portland stone wall: the symbolic arena of war, emblazoned with images of various struggling animals, along with two heavily-laden bronze mules progressing up the stairs of the monument, and a bronze horse and bronze dog beyond it looking into the distance.The Animals in War Memorial was officially opened on 24 November 2004 by Anne, Princess Royal.On May 27 2013, it was one of two London war memorials vandalised on the same night. The word 'Islam' was spray-painted on it causing £2,766 in damage and the nearby RAF Bomber Command Memorial causing £6,500 in damage. A 31 year old London man later admitted to vandalising the memorials. The man was charged for a total of 94 vandalism and destruction of property offences carried out over several weeks against homes, cars, memorials and a church causing a total of £56,909 in damage.
Aston Martin Park Lane Distance: 0.4 miTourist Information Park Lane London, United Kingdom W1K 7