Maze Hill railway station, in the Maze Hill area of Greenwich, London, is the closest railway station to Greenwich Park, being about two minutes walk from the north-east corner of the park.HistoryMaze Hill station opened in 1873 by the South Eastern Railway (SER) and for five years functioned as a terminus on a line linked to the North Kent Line just west of Charlton. On 1 February 1878 a cut-and-cover tunnel link between Greenwich and Maze Hill was opened, completing a through line from the original London and Greenwich Railway to the North Kent Line.In 1899 the SER handed over its operations to a new organisation co-owned with the London, Chatham and Dover Railway (LCDR), which traded as the South Eastern and Chatham Railway (SECR); the line and station continued to be owned and maintained by the SER.In the 1923 Grouping, the SER and LCDR amalgamated with other railways to form the Southern Railway (SR). Three years later in 1926 the line through Maze Hill was electrified using the 750 V DC third rail system. A limited electric service started on 10 May with a full electric service being operated from 19 July.
Beefs and Babes Greenwich Distance: 1.6 miTourist Information Wood Wharf, Unit B, Greenwich West, London, SE10 9BB London, United Kingdom SE10 9 02088534076
The Greenwich Foot Tunnel crosses beneath the River Thames in East London, linking Greenwich (Royal Borough of Greenwich) in the south with the Isle of Dogs (London Borough of Tower Hamlets) to the north.Design and constructionThe tunnel was designed by civil engineer Sir Alexander Binnie for London County Council and was constructed by contractor John Cochrane & Co. The project started in June 1899, and the tunnel was opened on 4 August 1902. The tunnel replaced an expensive and sometimes unreliable ferry service and was intended to allow workers living on the south side of the Thames to reach their workplaces in the London docks and shipyards then situated in or near the Isle of Dogs. Its creation owed much to the efforts of working-class politician Will Crooks who had worked in the docks and, after chairing the LCC's Bridges Committee responsible for the tunnel, would later serve as Labour MP for nearby Woolwich.The entrance shafts at both ends lie beneath glazed domes, with lifts (installed in 1904, upgraded in 1992 and again in 2012) and helical staircases allowing pedestrians to reach the sloping, tile-lined tunnel at the bottom. The cast-iron tunnel itself is 370.2m long and 15.2m deep and has an internal diameter of about 9ft. Its cast-iron rings are lined with concrete which has been surfaced with some 200,000 white glazed tiles. The northern end was damaged by bombs during the Second World War and the repairs included a thick steel and concrete inner lining that reduces the diameter substantially for a short distance.
Boiler installers London are London's most proven and respected boiler installers. We guarantee our work and provide a gas safe certificate and a written guarantee for your gas installation with every gas boiler installation.
London based gas boiler installations for Londoners at a competitive price.