The National Museum of Ireland has a strong emphasis on Irish art, culture and natural history. It has three branches in Dublin and one in County Mayo.ArchaeologySee also :Category:Collection of the National Museum of IrelandThe National Museum of Ireland – Archaeology on Kildare Street has displays on prehistoric Ireland, including early work in gold, church treasures and objects from the Viking and medieval periods. The Kingship and Sacrifice exhibition includes well preserved bog bodies and Ralaghan Man. There are special displays of items from Egypt, Cyprus and the Roman world, and special exhibitions are regularly mounted.This section includes famous examples of early medieval Celtic metalwork in Ireland such as the Ardagh Chalice, the Tara Brooch, and the Derrynaflan Hoard. Prehistoric pieces include the Iron Age Broighter Gold and over 50 gold lunulas (not all on display), and other Bronze Age jewellery. Many of these pieces were found in the 19th century by poor people or agricultural labourers, when population expansion led to cultivation of land which had not been touched since the Middle Ages. Indeed, without the intervention of George Petrie of the Royal Irish Academy and like-minded individuals from the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland, most of the metalwork would have been melted down for the intrinsic value of its materials, as did frequently happen despite their efforts. Contemporary Irish are more tuned to their heritage, as can be seen in the example of the Irish Bog Psalter, which was discovered and reported by an alert machine operator in July 2006.
The Mansion House on Dawson Street, Dublin, has been the official residence of the Lord Mayor of Dublin since 1715.FeaturesThe Mansion House's most famous features include the "Round Room", where the First Dáil assembled on 21 January 1919 to proclaim the Irish Declaration of Independence. On 21 January 1969 a special fiftieth anniversary joint session of Dáil Éireann and Seanad Éireann assembled there and was addressed by the then President of Ireland, Éamon de Valera.Externally, the distinctive metal portico over the main door was erected for the visit of Queen Victoria in 1900.Visitors and occupantsIts most famous occupants included Lord Mayors: Daniel O'Connell, nineteenth century nationalist leader Alfie Byrne (1930s), longest serving Lord Mayor in the 800-year history of the office Jim Mitchell (1976–77), the youngest Lord Mayor of Dublin, aged 29, in the history of the office Famous visitors to the mayoral residence include: Prince Rainier III and Princess Grace of Monaco Pope John Paul II Queen Victoria Mother Teresa Nelson Mandela
Guinness Storehouse is a Guinness-themed tourist attraction at St. James's Gate Brewery in Dublin, Ireland. Since opening in 2000, it has received over four million visitors.The Storehouse covers seven floors surrounding a glass atrium shaped in the form of a pint of Guinness. The ground floor introduces the beer's four ingredients (water, barley, hops and yeast), and the brewery's founder, Arthur Guinness. Other floors feature the history of Guinness advertising and include an interactive exhibit on responsible drinking. The seventh floor houses the Gravity Bar with views of Dublin and where visitors may drink a pint of Guinness included in the price of admission, which was €18 in March 2015, described as "overpriced" by Condé Nast Traveler. In 2006, a new wing opened incorporating a live installation of the present-day brewing process.HistoryThe building in which the Storehouse is located was constructed in 1902 as a fermentation plant for the St. James's Gate Brewery (where yeast is added to the brew). The building was designed in the style of the Chicago School of Architecture and was the first multi-storey steel-framed building to be constructed in Ireland. The building was used continuously as the fermentation plant of the Brewery until its closure in 1988, when a new fermentation plant was completed near the River Liffey.In 1997, it was decided to convert the building into the Guinness Storehouse, replacing the Guinness Hop Store as the Brewery's visitor centre. The redesign of the building was undertaken by the UK-based design firm Imagination in conjunction with the Dublin-based architects firm RKD, and the Storehouse opened to the public on 2 December 2000. In 2006 a new wing was developed at a cost of €2.5 million, including a live installation demonstrating the modern brewing process.
Meeting outside Christchurch at 11.30am every Saturday and Sunday, the Liberties Historical Walking Tour with lunch is a great way to see real Dublin. The tour lasts approximately 2hours.
Your tour guide will bring you on a fun and enjoyable tour of Dublin's Medieval Quarter taking in sites such as Christ Church Cathedral, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Dublin's antique quarter, Vicar Street and many more.
To find out more information, check out The Irish House Party website - www.theirishhouseparty.com, send us an email to [email protected] or give us a call on 01-6729272
If you would like to go on the walking tour but Saturday's or Sunday's do not suit you, our guide will happily host private tours any day of the week for groups of 10+. Please enquire by email or phone to book for these tours.
In continuous occupation since its establishment in 1204 AD, Dublin Castle has played a prominent role in Ireland's history.The State Apartments are among the most prestigious State Rooms in the country and are home to St. Patrick's Hall and the James Connolly Room. They can be visited both as part of a guided tour and as part of a self guided visit. The thirteenth century remains of the Gunpowder Tower and the 19th Century baroque style Chapel Royal can also be visited as part of the Guided Tour.
The Ha'penny Bridge, known later for a time as the Penny Ha'penny Bridge, and officially the Liffey Bridge, is a pedestrian bridge built in May 1816 over the River Liffey in Dublin, Ireland. Made of cast iron, the bridge was cast at Coalbrookdale in Shropshire, England.NameOriginally called the Wellington Bridge, the name of the bridge changed to Liffey Bridge. The Liffey Bridge remains the bridge's official name to this day, although it is most commonly referred to as the Ha'penny Bridge.HistoryBefore the Ha'penny Bridge was built there were seven ferries, operated by a William Walsh, across the Liffey. The ferries were in a bad condition and Walsh was informed that he had to either fix them or build a bridge. Walsh chose the latter option and was granted the right to extract a ha'penny toll from anyone crossing it for 100 years.Initially the toll charge was based not on the cost of construction, but to match the charges levied by the ferries it replaced. A further condition of construction was that, if the citizens of Dublin found the bridge and toll to be "objectionable" within its ﬁrst year of operation, it was to be removed at no cost to the city.The toll was increased for a time to a penny-ha'penny (1½ pence), but was eventually dropped in 1919. While the toll was in operation, there were turnstiles at either end of the bridge.
The Old Jameson Distillery is an Irish whiskey tourist attraction located just off Smithfield Square in Dublin, Ireland. Since opening as an attraction in 1997, it receives between 300,000 and 350,000 guests per year. The Old Jameson Distillery is the original site where Jameson Irish Whiskey was distilled until 1971. It is now a visitors centre that provides guided tours, tutored whiskey tastings, bars, a restaurant, and a gift shop.HistoryThe original distillery on this site was called the Bow Street Distillery and was established in 1780. John Jameson took full ownership (he was previously the general manager) and expanded the distillery in 1805. By 1810, the operation was officially renamed to John Jameson & Son’s Bow Street Distillery. The distillery grew to an upwards of 5 acres by 1886.At this time, it was described by many as a "city within a city". The distillery also housed a Smithy, Cooperage, saw mills, engineers, carpenters, painters and coppersmiths’ shops. Water for the distillery came from two deep wells dug underneath the site. Cellars were also dug underneath nearby streets to store maturing whiskey, while four stills and two wash stills, each holding 24,000 gallons, were heated by both fire and steam coils above.Following a difficult period that included American Prohibition, Ireland’s trade war with Great Britain, and the introduction of Scotch blended whiskey, the Jameson distillery fell on hard times and decided to form the Irish Distillers Group with their previous rivals, the Cork Distilleries Company and John Power & Son in 1966. Eventually, it became one of the last distilleries in Ireland to close in 1971. The operation was then moved out of Dublin to the New Midleton Distillery.
The Spire of Dublin, alternatively titled the Monument of Light, is a large, stainless steel, pin-like monument 120m in height, located on the site of the former Nelson's Pillar on O'Connell Street in Dublin, Ireland.DescriptionThe spire was designed by Ian Ritchie Architects, who sought an "Elegant and dynamic simplicity bridging art and technology". The contract was awarded to SIAC-Radley JV and it was manufactured by Radley Engineering of Dungarvan, County Waterford, and erected by SIAC Construction Ltd & GDW Engineering Ltd.The first section was installed on 18 December 2002. Construction of the sculpture was delayed because of difficulty in obtaining planning permission and environmental regulations. The Spire consists of eight hollow stainless steel cone sections, the longest being 20m, which were installed on 21 January 2003. It is an elongated cone of diameter 3m at the base, narrowing to 15cm at the top. It features two tuned mass dampers, designed by engineers Arup, to counteract sway. The steel underwent shot peening to alter the quality of light reflected from it.The pattern around the base of the Spire is based on a core sample of rock formation taken from the ground where the spire stands and the DNA double helix. The pattern was applied by bead blasting the steel through rubber stencil masks whose patterns were created by water jet cutting based on core sample drawings supplied by the contractor. The design around the 10m lower part of the Spire was created by the architects making a 3D pattern model combining the core sample and double helix and then digitally translated to a 2D image drawing supplied to the contractor and used by specialists for cutting the masking material.
O'connell Street, Dublin City CentreDistance: 0.5 miTourist Information O'Connell Street Dublin,
OC Architects & Design is an enthusiastic Architectural practice committed to providing clients with a professional, high quality, Architectural and Design service.
We employ a creative and innovative approach to design, for all projects regardless of size. The Practice has a broad range of knowledge and experience in the building and design industry from small domestic refurbishments to large scale commercial developments.
The Practice is currently employed in a number of projects throughout Ireland, is fully insured and is a registered practice with the RIAI, with offices in Ranelagh Village, Dublin, and in Castleisland, Co. Kerry.
I had such a wonderful time in Nashville and felt that I was in such a powerfully supportive Creative Community that I am determined to Return to Record Part 3 of the Current Triple Album there. Our Engineer Kevin Whyte will be over there Touring in September so ideally that would be the time to go so Brian and I will have him there to oversee the Recording. We have all the Songs for Parts 2 and 3 and start Recording Part 2 with Kevin Dara and Tommy in Late June 2011. I have €1,300 and need in the region of €7,500 to make the Album. All Proceeds from Part 1 will be going toward the Nashville Recordings. Any Donations however small will be gratefully received and rewarded with Surprise Gifts of Promo Items, Poems, Hand written Lyrics, Drawings,before and over the Release of all 3 Albums. I am also Organising an Art Auction on E-Bay to fund the Trip.
The Perfect Pint of Miller Genunine Draft at Tramco Distance: 1.3 miTourist Information 121 LOWER RATHMINES ROAD Rathmines, Ireland DUBLIN 6
Check at the Perfect Pint of Miller Genuine Draft for a chance to win music downloads
SMC Print was founded over 25 years ago. From our spacious new factory based in Ballymount, we provide quality printed materials with a committed and experienced workforce, comprised of people with specialised skills and experience, allowing us to customise and add unique value to every clients' individual requirements. To support our quality print we have an array of finishing equipment that can add an extra dimension to the finished product.
With a tradition of over twenty five years of craftsmanship, we take pride in being a quality company. We are committed to providing high quality products and services through the continuous analysis and improvement of our processes and procedures.
At Health & Fitness Together, you'll get a certified personal trainer who will push you just hard enough to get results. And you'll do it all in the privacy of our studio.
Book your first appointment for free and take that first step to a healthier happier lifestyle. You won’t be dissappointed.
The Kitchen Slave is an online store dedicated to the promotion of healthy living through knowledge of what works. Founded from a love of all things kind we hope you enjoy your experience.
Here at The Kitchen Slave we only add products that actually work based on our own personal experience of each product, making us a reliable source of practical information for you and your family's alternative healthcare needs.
We specialise in promoting and selling Essiac® products to the Irish market.
We also sell 100% Baltic Amber Teething Bracelets to the Irish market.
We are Irish owned.