The Torre Velasca is a skyscraper built in 1950s by the BBPR architectural partnership, in Milan, Italy.ArchitectsBBPR is an acronym from the name of its designers: Gian Luigi Banfi, Lodovico Barbiano di Belgiojoso, Enrico Peressutti and Ernesto Nathan Rogers. At the time of the construction of the Torre Velasca, Banfi was already dead (in 1945 in an Internment camp in Gusen).DescriptionThe Velasca Tower is part of the first generation of Italian modern architecture, while still being part of the Milanese context in which it was born, to which also belongs the Milan Cathedral and the Sforza Castle.The tower, approximately 100 metres tall, has a peculiar and characteristic mushroom-like shape.It stands out in the city skyline, made of domes, buildings and other towers. Its structure recalls the Lombard tradition, made of medieval fortresses and towers, each having a massive profile. In such fortresses, the lower parts were always narrower, while the higher parts propped up by wooden boards or stone beams.As a consequence, the shape of this building is the result of a modern interpretation of the typical Italian medieval castle. At the same time, BBPR in this building satisfied the functional needs of space: narrower surfaces on the ground, wider and more spacious ones on the top floors.
Sant'Antonio abate is a Roman Catholic church in Milan, Italy. The church is located on a street running parallel to Via Festa del Perdono.Built in Mannerist style, construction began in 1582 on the site of an older church. The current appearance of the church is the work of Francesco Maria Richini, carried out in the 17th century. The Neoclassical façade designed by the architect Giacomo Tazzini.The church contains frescoes by Genovese and his brother Giovanni Battista Carlone; a fresco cycle on the Life of the Virgin by Giulio Cesare Procaccini (1574-1625), a “Nativity” and “Adoration of the Magi” by Pier Francesco Mazzucchelli, and frescoes by Guglielmo Caccia, depicting scenes from the Old Testament.
Basilica of Sant'AmbrogioDistance: 0.8 miTourist Information Piazza Sant'Ambrogio 15 Milan, 20123
The Basilica of Sant'Ambrogio is a church in Milan, northern Italy.HistoryOne of the most ancient churches in Milan, it was built by St. Ambrose in 379–386, in an area where numerous martyrs of the Roman persecutions had been buried. The first name of the church was in fact Basilica Martyrum.When St. Ambrose arrived in Milan, the local churches were in conflict with each other over the conflict between Arianism and the Nicene Creed as well as numerous local issues. He was firmly in support of the Nicene side of the conflict, and wanted to make northern Italy into a pro-Rome stronghold. He did this through both preaching and construction. He built three or four churches surrounding the city; Basilica Apostolorum (now San Nazaro in Brolo), Basilica Virginum (now San Simpliciano), and Basilica Martyrum (which was later renamed in his honor). A fourth church, Basilica Salvatoris (now San Dionigi) is attributed to him as well, but may not actually be from the 4th century. These churches were dedicated with anti-Arian language and as symbols of the wealth and power of the pro-Nicene faction in Milan.In the centuries after its construction, the edifice underwent several restorations and partial reconstructions, assuming the current appearance in the 12th Century, when it was rebuilt in the Romanesque style.Initially, the basilica was outside the city of Milan, but over the following centuries, the city grew up around it. It became a center of religious life and a community of canons developed in the church. In 789, a monastery was established within the basilica grounds. The canons, however, retained their own community and identity instead of fading away. Two, separate, distinct religious communities shared the basilica. In the 11th century, the canons adopted orders and became Canons Regular. There were now two separate monastic orders following different rules living in the basilica. The canons were in the northern building, the cloister of the canons, while the monks were in the two southern buildings.
The Royal Palace of Milan was the seat of government of the Italian city of Milan for many centuries, but today is an important cultural centre, home to expositions and exhibitions.Originally designed with a system of two yards, then partially demolished to make room for the Duomo, the palace is located to the right of the facade of the cathedral in the opposite position with respect to Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II. The facade of the building, following the line of the ancient courtyard, forming a recess with respect to Piazza del Duomo, known as the Piazzetta Reale .On the first floor of the building you'll find the magnificent Hall of Caryatids, which occupies the site of the old theatre burned in 1776 and is the only environment that survived the heavy bombings in 1943, when the Palace lost most of the neoclassical interiors.HistoryOriginsThe royal palace has ancient origins. It was first called the Palazzo del Broletto Vecchio and was the seat of city's government during the period of medieval communes in the Middle Ages.The palace became a key political centre during the rules of the Torriani, Visconti and Sforza households. After the construction of the Cathedral, there was an important renovation under the government of Francesco Sforza.16th centuryBetween the late 15th and early 16th centuries, with the end of the Sforza dynasty and the French invasion, the Castello Sforzesco, which until then was the official residence of the Dukes of Milan, had increasingly become more of a fortress suited for weapons. Under the French rule of Louis XII and of François I, the seat of the court was moved to the current Royal Palace.
Il Palazzo Reale di Milano è stato per molti secoli sede del governo della città di Milano prima, del Regno del Lombardo-Veneto poi e residenza reale fino al 1919, quando viene acquisito al demanio diventando sede di mostre ed esposizioni.Originariamente progettato con un sistema di due cortili, poi parzialmente demoliti per lasciare spazio al Duomo, il palazzo è situato alla destra della facciata del duomo in posizione opposta rispetto alla Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II. La facciata del palazzo, seguendo la linea dell'antico cortile, forma una rientranza rispetto a piazza del Duomo, chiamata piazzetta reale.Di particolare importanza è la Sala delle Cariatidi al piano nobile del palazzo, che occupa il luogo dell'antico teatro bruciato nel 1776 ed è l'ambiente più significativo sopravvissuto, anche se gravemente danneggiato, al pesante bombardamento anglo-americano del 1943; ai danni causati dagli spezzoni incendiari e dai violenti spostamenti d'aria fece seguito uno stato di abbandono durato per più di due anni, fatto questo che causò al palazzo danni ben più gravi, con la perdita di buona parte degli interni neoclassici.Novecento anni di storiaDalle origini al CinquecentoLegato a filo doppio con la storia della città, il palazzo reale ha origini antiche. Nasce con il nome di Palazzo del Broletto Vecchio ed è sede del governo della città durante il periodo dei comuni nel basso medioevo.
La strage di piazza Fontana fu conseguenza di un grave attentato terroristico compiuto il 12 dicembre 1969 nel centro di Milano. Da molti è stata considerata «la madre di tutte le stragi» e ritenuta da alcuni l'inizio del periodo passato alla storia in Italia come anni di piombo. Per tanti aspetti si può parlare d'un prima di piazza Fontana e d'un dopo piazza Fontana. La strage della Banca dell'Agricoltura non fu la più atroce tra quelle che hanno insanguinato l'Italia. Ma fu una sorta di freccia avvelenata che colpì la società italiana, perché diede avvio al periodo stragista con simili gesti di cieca ferocia. Dei tossici che entrarono in circolo il Paese non riuscì più a liberarsi. Essi attizzarono tutte le polemiche, consentirono tutte le recriminazioni e alimentarono la mala pianta del terrorismo.Le indagini si susseguiranno nel corso degli anni, con imputazioni a carico di vari esponenti anarchici e neofascisti; tuttavia alla fine tutti gli accusati sono stati sempre assolti in sede giudiziaria (peraltro alcuni sono stati condannati per altre stragi, e altri usufruiranno della prescrizione, evitando la pena). In contemporanea in Italia scoppiarono altre bombe, provocando 16 feriti, a Roma: una alla Banca Nazionale del Lavoro in via San Basilio, due all'Altare della Patria.Da Milano il prefetto Libero Mazza, su segnalazione dall'Ufficio affari riservati del Viminale, avvisò il Presidente del Consiglio Mariano Rumor: «L'ipotesi attendibile che deve formularsi indirizza le indagini verso gruppi anarcoidi». La sera stessa della strage, intervistato da Tv7, Indro Montanelli espresse dei dubbi sul coinvolgimento degli anarchici, e vent'anni dopo ribadì quella tesi affermando: «Io ho escluso immediatamente la responsabilità degli anarchici per varie ragioni: prima di tutto, forse, per una specie di istinto, di intuizione, ma poi perché conosco gli anarchici. Gli anarchici non sono alieni dalla violenza, ma la usano in un altro modo: non sparano mai nel mucchio, non sparano mai nascondendo la mano. L'anarchico spara al bersaglio, in genere al bersaglio simbolico del potere, e di fronte. Assume sempre la responsabilità del suo gesto. Quindi, quell'infame attentato, evidentemente, non era di marca anarchica o anche se era di marca anarchica veniva da qualcuno che usurpava la qualifica di anarchico, ma non apparteneva certamente alla vera categoria, che io ho conosciuto ben diversa e che credo sia ancora ben diversa...».
Milan Cathedral is the cathedral church of Milan, Italy. Dedicated to St Mary of the Nativity (Santa Maria Nascente), it is the seat of the Archbishop of Milan, currently Cardinal Angelo Scola. The Gothic cathedral took nearly six centuries to complete. It is the largest church in Italy (the larger St. Peter's Basilica is in the State of Vatican City) and the fifth largest in the world.HistorySt Thecla'sMilan's layout, with streets either radiating from the Duomo or circling it, reveals that the Duomo occupies what was the most central site in Roman Mediolanum, that of the public basilica facing the forum. The first cathedral, the "new basilica" (basilica nova) dedicated to St Thecla, was completed by 355. It seems to share, on a slightly smaller scale, the plan of the contemporaneous church recently rediscovered beneath Tower Hill in London. An adjoining basilica was erected in 836. The old octagonal baptistery, the Battistero Paleocristiano, dates to 335 and still can be visited under the Milan Cathedral. When a fire damaged the cathedral and basilica in 1075, they were rebuilt as the Duomo.
Palazzo della Ragione, MilanDistance: 1.1 miTourist Information Piazza dei Mercanti Milan, 20123
The Palazzo della Ragione is a historic building of Milan, Italy, located in Piazza Mercanti, facing the Loggia degli Osii. It was built in 13th century and originally served as a broletto as well as a judicial seat. As it was the second broletto to be built in Milan, it is also known as the Broletto Nuovo .The palace is decorated with a relief representing Oldrado da Tresseno, and the bas relief of the scrofa semilanuta, which has been object of much controversy among scholars of the foundation and origins of Milan.HistoryThe building was constructed between 1228 and 1233 for podestà Oldrado da Tresseno. It maintained a central role in the administrative and public life of Milan until the late 18th century. In 1773, under Empress Maria Theresa, it was restored and enlarged, to serve as legal archives. The structural changes were designed by architect Francesco Croce, who added a new upper floor with large round windows and restyled the whole building based on Neoclassic canons. Other major modifications of the buildings were done in 1854 by architect Enrico Terzaghi; these included glass panes that closed the ground floor ambulatory, which was reopened between 1905 and 1907.
Borsa Italiana - Piazza Affari - MilanoDistance: 1.0 miTourist Information piazza affari Milan, 20123
Santa Maria delle Grazie is a church and Dominican convent in Milan, northern Italy, included in the UNESCO World Heritage sites list. The church contains the mural of The Last Supper by Leonardo da Vinci, which is in the refectory of the convent.HistoryThe Duke of Milan Francesco I Sforza ordered construction of a Dominican convent and a church at the site of a prior chapel dedicated to the Marian devotion of St Mary of the Graces. The main architect, Guiniforte Solari, designed the convent, which was completed by 1469. Construction of the church took decades. Duke Ludovico Sforza decided to have the church serve as the Sforza family burial site, and rebuilt the cloister and the apse, both completed after 1490. Ludovico's wife Beatrice was buried in the church in 1497.The design of the apse of the church has been attributed to Donato Bramante, who at the time was in the service of the Duchy; however, there is scant documentary evidence links Bramante to this church. His name is inscribed in a piece of marble in the church vaults delivered in 1494. Some documents though mention the name Amadeo, likely Giovanni Antonio Amadeo. Similarities between this church and Amadeo's design for Santa Maria alla Fontana make this attribution more likely.
The Palazzo Litta, also known as the Palazzo Arese-Litta, is a Baroque structure in Milan, northern Italy, opposite San Maurizio al Monastero Maggiore, and dating from the period of Spanish rule of the city.Architect Francesco Maria Richini built the nucleus of the palazzo in the years 1642–1648 for Count Bartolomeo Arese, a member of one of the most influential Milanese families of the period who became President of the Senate of Milan in 1660. Palazzo Litta thus became an important centre of Milanese fashionable and political culture. Grand parties held here over the years included receptions for Archduchess Mariana of Austria, for Margaret Theresa of Spain, for Elisabeth Christine of Brunswick-Wolfenbüttel, for Maria Theresa of Austria, for Eugène de Beauharnais and for the arrival of Napoleon in Milan.Apart from its general plan, the principal features which remain essentially intact from the original seventeenth-century building are the piano nobile (although largely redecorated) and one of Richini’s courtyards. The family oratory, also the work of Richini, and consecrated in 1671, was later turned into a private theatre for the use of the family and its invitees. The theatre, the oldest in Milan, is still in use as the Teatro Litta di Milano, which also has a second performance space located in the old stable block.
Palazzo Marino is a 16th-century palace located in Piazza della Scala, in the centre of Milan, Italy. It has been Milan's city hall since 9 September 1861. It borders on Piazza San Fedele, Piazza della Scala, Via Case Rotte and Via Tommaso Marino.The palace was built for, and is named after, the Genoan trader and banker Tommaso Marino. It became a property of the State in 1781.HistoryThe palace was built from 1557 to 1563 for Tommaso Marino. It was designed by architect Galeazzo Alessi from Perugia. Its main facade was originally that facing Piazza San Fedele, as Piazza della Scala didn't yet exist; the corresponding area was occupied by buildings. The construction was occasionally slowed down by the opposition of the population, that had a very conservative attitude towards the architecture of the centre of Milan.Several sculptors from the Fabbrica del Duomo were involved in the decorations of Palazzo Marino. In the courtyard, sculptures were erected representing the Labours of Hercules and the Metamorphoses. The ceiling of the main hall (now known as "Salone dell'Alessi") had frescos and stuccos with the Marriage of Cupid and Psyche by Andrea Semini and Ottavio Semini.
Sforza Castle (Castello Sforzesco) is a castle in Milan, northern Italy. It was built in the 15th century by Francesco Sforza, Duke of Milan, on the remains of a 14th-century fortification. Later renovated and enlarged, in the 16th and 17th centuries it was one of the largest citadels in Europe. Extensively rebuilt by Luca Beltrami in 1891–1905, it now houses several of the city's museums and art collections.HistoryThe original construction was ordered by local lord Galeazzo II Visconti in 1358–c. 1370; this castle was known as Castello di Porta Giova (or Porta Zubia), from the name of a gate in walls located nearby. His successors Gian Galeazzo, Giovanni Maria and Filippo Maria Visconti enlarged it, until it became a square-plan castle with 200 m-long sides, four towers at the corners and up to 7m walls. The castle was the main residence in the city of its Visconti lords, and was destroyed by the short-lived Golden Ambrosian Republic which ousted them in 1447.In 1450, Francesco Sforza, once he shattered the republicans, began reconstruction of the castle to turn it into his princely residence. In 1452 he hired sculptor and architect Filarete to design and decorate the central tower, which is still known as Torre del Filarete. After Francesco's death, the construction was continued by his son Galeazzo Maria, under architect Benedetto Ferrini. The decoration was executed by local painters. In 1476, during the regency of Bona of Savoy, the tower with her name was built.
Local business Near Navigli
Polisportiva Lombardia Uno Distance: 1.6 miTourist Information Largo Balestra, Milano Milan, Italy 20142
Nella gelateria non ci sono solo gelati, ma puoi gustare anche delle ottime creme fatte con la frutta fresca mediterranea e tropicale, creando così dei veri capolavori per il palato! Proponiamo diverse creazione dai frutti ripieni con gelato e altre a base di eccellenti creme a forma di tartufo, cassate, zuccotti, boeri e anche torte. Se vuoi il tuo dolce da portare a casa abbiamo scatole termiche che garantiscono la freschezza del prodotto per diverse ore, un motivo in più per venire nella nostra gelateria!