Eversholt Street London, United Kingdom NW1 1BN 020 7424 0724
St Mary's Church is a Church of England church behind Euston station in Somers Town, London Borough of Camden.HistoryIt was designed by Henry William Inwood as a chapel of ease for St Pancras Old Church (which resumed being a parish in its own right in 1852) and built between 1824 and 1827 by I. T. Seabrook. A Parliamentary grant paid for the construction, though local taxation funded the purchases of the chapel's interior decoration and the site itself. It was consecrated on 11th Mary 1826 and soon afterwards it became famous for converting several local people from Roman Catholicism there.Early on, the chapel was known as "Mr. Judkin's Chapel" or "Seymour Street Chapel" and was attended during his schooldays by Charles Dickens, who was then living nearby with his family at 13 Cranleigh Street. Augustus Pugin satirised the chapel's architecture, comparing it with Bishop Skirlaw's Chapel. The interior was the subject of two schemes, the 1874 one of J K Colling and the 1890 one of R C Reade - in the latter, traceried transoms were added to the windows and the west gallery taken out. In 1888 a chancel was added and the side galleries removed.It was designated a Grade II listed building on 10 June 1954.
Anglican Church Near St Mary's Church, Somers Town
St Mary le Strand is a Church of England church at the eastern end of the Strand in the City of Westminster, London. It lies within the Deanery of Westminster (St Margaret) within the Diocese of London. The church stands on what is now a traffic island to the north of Somerset House, King's College London's Strand campus, and south of Bush House (now also part of King's College London). It is the official church of the Women's Royal Naval Service, and has a book of remembrance for members who have died in service. The nearest tube station is Temple, with the now-closed Aldwych station nearly opposite the church. It is known as one of the two 'Island Churches', the other being St Clement Danes.HistoryThe church is the second to have been called St Mary le Strand, the first having been situated a short distance to the south. The date of its foundation is unclear but it was mentioned in a judgment of 1222, when it was called the Church of the Innocents, or St Mary and the Innocents. It was pulled down in 1549 by Edward Seymour, 1st Duke of Somerset to make way for Somerset House. The parishioners were promised a new church, which was never built, forcing them to move to the nearby church of St Clement Danes and afterwards to the Savoy Chapel. The site now occupied by the modern church was formerly occupied by a great maypole which had been the scene of May Day festivities in the 16th and 17th century but was severely decayed by the early 18th century.
We express our mission of Christian hospitality by being open for prayer and quiet throughout the week, by offering hospitality to all who join our worship and by hosting community events and support groups. We also have unique historic spaces available for hire as concert, performance and meeting venues.
In an age when many are looking for a disciplined way of spirituality and a more meditative style of worship, St Giles has much to offer. Through preaching and study we aim to present ancient Christian insight for a modern world, so that we may grow in faith and understanding. And for those times when we just need to talk and be heard, here too we can offer time to listen and a heart to reassure. You will find our congregation welcoming, supportive and friendly.
Service details are available here: http://stgilesonline.org/2013/01/11/worship/
All Saints Margaret Street (Church of England) has been serving God and people in the heart of London for 150 years. Renowned for its Anglo-Catholic liturgy and rich tradition of choral worship, All Saints draws worshippers from all over the world. The beautifully ornate Grade I listed building is regarded as one of the foremost examples of Victorian Gothic Revival architecture in Britain.
Whether you are a regular worshipper or a curious visitor, we look forward to welcoming you. Visit our website for information about our services.
Welcome to St George's!
Love contemporary worship? Want to explore what faith in Jesus looks and feels like? Looking for somewhere to grow in confidence and vision for your life? Want to be part of a serious effort to bring hope and transformation to a particular area of London? Come along at 10.30am or 5.00pm on Sunday to find out more.
St Marylebone Parish Church is an Anglican church on the Marylebone Road in London. It was built to the designs of Thomas Hardwick in 1813–17. The present site is the third used by the parish for its church. The first was further south, near Oxford Street. The church there was demolished in 1400 and a new one erected further north. This was completely rebuilt in 1740–42, and converted into a chapel-of-ease when Hardwick's church was constructed. The Marylebone area takes its name from the church. Located behind the church is St Marylebone School, a Church of England school for girls.Previous churchesFirst churchThe first church for the parish was built in the vicinity of the present Marble Arch c.1200, and dedicated to St John the Evangelist.Second churchIn 1400 the Bishop of London gave the parishioners permission to demolish the church of St John and build a new one in a more convenient position, near a recently completed chapel, which could be used until the new church was completed. The bishop stipulated that the old churchyard should be preserved, but also gave permission to enclose a new burial ground at the new site, The church was dedicated to the Virgin Mary. It was closer to the village, at the north end of Marylebone High Street. Having fallen into a state of decay, it was demolished in 1740.
St Marylebone Parish Church is a place of active and engaged Christian witness, set at the very heart of central London. With a history stretching back nearly 900 years, we seek to offer God worship that has long been renowned for musical and liturgical excellence and to serve the diverse community in which we are set.
For more than 30 years, St Marylebone, just a few metres from Harley Street, has pioneered the work of Christian healing and, as well as being home to the internationally respected St Marylebone Healing and Counselling Centre, which offers low-cost analytical psychotherapy and spiritual direction, the Crypt at St Marylebone also houses an innovative NHS doctor’s surgery - the Marylebone Health Centre. Our work is enhanced by maintaining close and active links with some of medicine’s Royal Colleges and through our provision of chaplaincy to The London Clinic and King Edward VII’s Hospital.
St Marylebone has a flourishing Young Church which complements our two schools: The St Marylebone Church of England School, an Outstanding Academy, National Teaching School and Maths Hub, and The St Marylebone Church of England Bridge School, a Free Special School working with secondary school age students who have speech, language and communication difficulties. Alongside our two schools St Marylebone works closely with the Royal Academy of Music and the University of Westminster, providing chaplaincy services to both, and also with Regent’s University.
As a parish church in the Diocese of London, we share a vision of a Church for this great world city that is Christ-centred and outward looking. By God’s grace we seek to be more confident in speaking and living the Gospel of Jesus Christ, more compassionate in serving others with the love of God the Father and more creative in reaching new people and places in the power of the Spirit.
St Pancras Old Church is a Church of England parish church in Somers Town, central London. It is dedicated to the Roman martyr Saint Pancras, and is believed by many to be one of the oldest sites of Christian worship in England. The church is situated on Pancras Road in the London Borough of Camden, with the surrounding area and its international railway station taking its name. St Pancras Old Church, which was largely rebuilt in the Victorian era, should not be confused with St Pancras New Church about a kilometre away, on the Euston Road.HistoryParishOriginally, the parish of St Pancras stretched from close to Oxford Street almost to Highgate. In the early Middle Ages there was a centre of population in the vicinity of what is now known as the old church. However, in the 14th century the population abandoned the site and moved to what is now Kentish Town. The reasons for this were probably the vulnerability of the plain around the church to flooding (the River Fleet, which is now underground, runs through it) and the availability of better wells at Kentish Town, where there is less clay in the soil. The church subsequently fell into disrepair. Towards the end of the 18th century, services were only held in the church on one Sunday each month; on other weeks, the same congregation would use a chapel in Kentish Town. It lost its status as the parish church when the New Church on what was to become the Euston Road was consecrated in 1822, and became a chapel of ease.
St Michael's Church is the principal Anglican church for Camden Town in north London. The present building, designed by George Frederick Bodley and Thomas Garner in a Gothic Revival style, dates to the late 19th century.HistoryThe congregation was begun in 1881 at a building nearby which now houses a betting shop ; a service was held in the shop to begin the celebrations for the church's 125th anniversary in 2002.The present building was the first London church designed by Bodley and Garner and is built of brick with stone dressings in the decorated Gothic style. The nave was completed in 1881 and the chancel added and consecrated in 1894 under its first vicar, Father Edward Penfold. A north west tower was planned but never built. The interior has a continuous, stenciled waggon ceiling covering both nave and chancel, and a vaulted north chapel. The west front was restored in 2005 and a new roof was completed in August 2007. The church is Grade II* listed, for its interior.In 1954 the parish of St Michael's subsumed those of All Saints, Camden Town (which had become a Greek Orthodox church in 1948) and St.Thomas, Agar Town, Wrotham Road (whose 1864 building was demolished due to war damage). In 2003 St Michael's became part of the St Pancras Team Ministry, with St Pancras Old Church, St Mary's Church, Somers Town, and St Paul's Church, Camden Square.
The BT Tower is a communications tower located in Fitzrovia, London, owned by BT Group. It has been previously known as the GPO Tower, the Post Office Tower and the Telecom Tower. The main structure is 177m high, with a further section of aerial rigging bringing the total height to 191m. It should not be confused with the BT Centre (the global headquarters of BT). Its Post Office code was YTOW.Upon completion it overtook the Millbank Tower to become the tallest building in both London and the United Kingdom, titles it held until 1980, when it in turn was overtaken by the NatWest Tower.History20th centuryThe tower was commissioned by the General Post Office (GPO). Its primary purpose was to support the microwave aerials then used to carry telecommunications traffic from London to the rest of the country, as part of Britain's microwave network.It replaced a much shorter steel lattice tower which had been built on the roof of the neighbouring Museum telephone exchange in the late 1940s to provide a television link between London and Birmingham. The taller structure was required to protect the radio links' "line of sight" against some of the tall buildings in London then in the planning stage. These links were routed via other GPO microwave stations at Harrow Weald, Bagshot, Kelvedon Hatch and Fairseat, and to places like the London Air Traffic Control Centre at West Drayton.
Invitingly located in London’s famous West End, the Grange Fitzrovia Hotel is just minutes away from the capital’s stylish fashion quarter and some of the best shops, boutiques and theatres that the city has to offer.
Based in the incredible central London location, ULU is renowned for being at the forefront of the new music scene having already welcomed now world class acts onto its stage, including Foo Fighters, Coldplay, Nirvana, Arcade Fire, Paul Weller, Babyshambles & The Strokes just to name a few.