The Galata Bridge is a bridge that spans the Golden Horn in Istanbul, Turkey. From the end of the 19th century in particular, the bridge has featured in Turkish literature, theater, poetry and novels.HistoryThe first recorded bridge over the Golden Horn in Istanbul was built during the reign of Justinian the Great in the 6th century, close to the area near the Theodosian Land Walls at the western end of the city.In 1453, during the Fall of Constantinople, the Turks assembled a mobile bridge by placing their ships side by side across the water, so that their troops could move from one side of the Golden Horn to the other.In the years 1502–1503, there were plans to construct the first bridge at the current location. Sultan Bayezid II solicited a design and Leonardo da Vinci, utilizing three well-known geometrical principles, the pressed-bow, parabolic curve and keystone arch, created an unprecedented single span 240 m long and 24 m wide bridge for the Golden Horn, which would have become the longest bridge in the world of that time, had it been constructed. However, the ambitious design was not approved by the Sultan.A smaller-scale version of Leonardo da Vinci's Golden Horn Bridge was brought to life in 2001 near Oslo, Norway by the contemporary artist Vebjørn Sand, the first civil engineering project based on a Leonardo da Vinci sketch to be constructed. The Leonardo Bridge Project hopes to build the design as a practical footbridge around the world, including the Golden Horn in Istanbul, using local materials and collaborating with local artisans as a global public art project. The Wall Street Journal referred to the Project as a "...logo for the nations."
Gülhane Park Distance: 0.6 miTourist Information Cankurtaran Mahallesi, Gülhane, Fatih Istanbul, Turkey 34112
Gülhane Parkı, İstanbul'un Fatih ilçesinin Eminönü semtinde yer alan tarihî bir parktır. Alay Köşkü, Topkapı Sarayı ve Sarayburnu arasında yer alır.TarihGülhane Parkı, Osmanlı İmparatorluğu döneminde Topkapı Sarayı'nın dış bahçesiydi ve içinde bir koru ve gül bahçelerini barındırırdı. Türk tarihinde demokratikleşmenin ilk somut adımı olan Tanzimat Fermanı, 3 Kasım 1839'da Abdülmecit döneminde Hariciye Nazırı Mustafa Reşit Paşa tarafından Gülhane Parkı'nda okunmuştur ve bu nedenle Gülhane Hatt-ı Hümayunu da denir.İstanbul şehremini operatör Cemil Paşa (Topuzlu) zamanında düzenlenerek 1912 yılında park haline getirildi ve halka açıldı. Toplam alanı 163 dönüm kadardır. Parkın girişinde sağ tarafta İstanbul şehremini ve belediye başkanlarının büstleri vardır. Parkın ortasından iki yanı ağaçlı yol geçer. Bu yolun sağında ve solunda dinlenme yerleri, çocuk bahçesi bulunmaktadır. Boğaza doğru kıvrılarak inen yokuşun hemen sağında bir Aşık Veysel heykeli, yokuşun sonuna doğru biraz üst kısımda ise Romalılardan kalma Gotlar Sütunu vardır.
The Galata Tower — called Christea Turris by the Genoese — is a medieval stone tower in the Galata/Karaköy quarter of Istanbul, Turkey, just to the north of the Golden Horn's junction with the Bosphorus. One of the city's most striking landmarks, it is a high, cone-capped cylinder that dominates the skyline and offers a panoramic vista of Istanbul's historic peninsula and its environs.DescriptionThe nine-story tower is 66.90 meters tall (62.59 m without the ornament on top, 51.65 m at the observation deck), and was the city's tallest structure when it was built. The elevation at ground level is 35 meters above sea-level. The tower has an external diameter of 16.45 meters at the base, an 8.95 meters diameter inside, and walls that are 3.75 meters thick.There is a restaurant and café on its upper floors which command a magnificent view of Istanbul and the Bosphorus. Also located on the upper floors is a night club which hosts a Turkish show. There are two operating elevators that carry visitors from the lower level to the upper levels.HistoryThe Romanesque style tower was built as Christea Turris (Tower of Christ) in 1348 during an expansion of the Genoese colony in Constantinople. Galata Tower was the tallest building in Istanbul at 219½ feet (66.9 m) when it was built in 1348. It was built to replace the old Tower of Galata, an original Byzantine tower named Megalos Pyrgos (English: Great Tower) which controlled the northern end of the massive sea chain that closed the entrance to the Golden Horn. That tower was on a different site and was largely destroyed in 1203, during the Fourth Crusade of 1202–1204.