EuroZoid
Discover The Most Popular Places In Europe

Piazza San Pietro, Città del Vaticano, Rome | Tourist Information


    Piazza San Pietro, Città del Vaticano
    Rome, Italy 00186


    Landmark Near Piazza San Pietro, Città del Vaticano

    KilometroZERO Drink&Food
    Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
    Piazza Ottavilla 4
    Rome, Italy 00152

    06.5816887

    Nati per cullarvi dalle prime esigenze giornaliere, dal profumo di un ottimo caffè, alla brioche sfogliata calda. L'offerta culinaria propone piatti di gastronomia, accurate selezioni di salumi e formaggi, piadine, insalatone, panini rustici e dolci fatti in casa fino ai breakfast americani della domenica mattina. Diversi vini alla mescita solo ed esclusivamente del territorio laziale, birra artigianale alla spina regionali proposte a rotazione e birre artigianali in bottiglia selezionate tra i marchi italiani e internazionali, cocktails di alta qualità, distillati selezionati (whisky e rum). Agli astemi offriamo succhi naturali , spremute, cocktail analcolici.......

    Villa Sciarra
    Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
    Viale Adolfo Leducq
    Rome, Italy 00153

    Villa Sciarra is a park in Rome named for the villa at its centre. It is located between the neighborhoods of Trastevere, Gianicolo and Monteverde Vecchio. It is not to be confused with the Villa Sciarra in Frascati.LocationThe best approach is from Viale Trastevere. At the Ministry of Education turn onto Via E. Morosini, then take the first left (Via Dandolo) to make the climb and turn left at Via Calandrelli. In Via Calandrelli there are two entrances which are the first giving on to Piazzale Wurts, designed by Pio Piacentini and the second at Largo E. Mintilli.HistoryIn 1653 Cardinal Antonio Barberini bought most of the land within the Janiculum walls between Porta Portese and Porta San Pancrazio to build an estate mainly used as a farm. In 1811 the property was acquired by the Colonna di Sciarra, who gave the villa its current name and enlarged it by acquiring the land belonging to Monastero di San Cosimato. In the 1880s Prince Maffeo Sciarra Colonna went bankrupt and the estate was split and a large part of it became a residential area. The last owners, George Wurts and his wife Henrietta, who was the sister of Charlemagne Tower, established the remaining land as a botanic garden and aviary complex embellished with an original sculptural decoration coming from an 18th-century Lombard villa near Milan. The park was given to Benito Mussolini by the widowed Henrietta in 1932 on condition it became a public park.

    San Francesco a Ripa
    Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
    Piazza San Francesco di Assisi, 88
    Rome, Italy 00187

    +39 06 581 9020

    San Francesco a Ripa is a church in Rome, Italy. It is dedicated to Francis of Assisi because the adjacent convent accommodated him, while the term Ripa refers to the nearby river-edge of the Tiber.HistoryThe origins of this church are related to Franciscan convent existing in the Trastevere quarter of Rome since the 12th centuries. This had an annexed 1231 church dedicated to Saint Blaise (San Biagio). This church was decorated with the (now lost) St Francis cycle by Pietro Cavallini. This cycle probably served as prototype for the famous Legend of St Francis frescoes, ascribed to Giotto di Bondone, in the Upper Basilica of St Francis in Assisi. The construction of the present church was begun in 1603 by Onorio Longhi, starting from the apse. The facade was finished in 1681-1701 with design by Mattia de Rossi. From 1873 to 1943 the church was used as barracks by the Bersaglieri.

    Trastevere Rome
    Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
    Viale di Trastevere
    Rome, Italy 00153

    LA MIAO
    Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
    via San Francesco a Ripa, 57
    Rome, Italy 00153

    Santa Maria dell'Orto
    Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
    Via Anicia
    Rome, Italy 00153

    Santa Maria dell'Orto is a Roman Catholic church in the Rione of Trastevere in Rome (Italy). It is the national church of Japan in Rome.HistoryThe church rises in the middle of the area that, since about 508 BC, was called Prata Mutia . This refers to the plot of land where the Etruscan king Porsena had set his encampment, and that later the Roman Senate donated to Mucius Scaevola as a sign of gratitude of Rome for his heroic act. The origins of the church are associated to a miracle, that is supposed to have happened circa 1488. A sick farmer, afflicted with a serious palsy according to oral history, was healed after praying a picture of the Virgin Mary painted close to the entrance to his own market garden. The event led to popular worship for the picture, and subsequently a small votive chapel was erected, soon followed by a greater church, funded by 12 professional associations . In 1492 Pope Alexander VI allowed the establishment of a confraternity and in 1588 Pope Sixtus V declared it "Archconfraternity" and bestowed on it the rare privilege to ask once a year – during the titular feast – the pardon of a man condemned to death. During the 1825 Jubilee, as attested by Gaetano Moroni in his Dictionary of historic-ecclesiastical erudition, it was eventually honored with the title of Venerable.

    Piazza di Santa Maria in Trastevere
    Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
    Piazza di Santa Maria in Trastevere
    Rome, Italy 00153

    Piazza di Santa Maria in Trastevere è una delle piazze più importanti di Roma situata nel centro del quartiere Trastevere.StoriaLa piazza prende il nome dalla Basilica di Santa Maria in Trastevere fondata nel III secolo da papa Callisto I e rinnovata nel XII secolo per volere di papa Innocenzo II. Al centro della Piazza la fontana omonima, una delle più antiche di Roma, che nei secoli subì vari interventi di restauro di cui l'ultimo ad opera dell'architetto Carlo Fontana verso la fine del XVII secolo.

    PASTICCERIA BUONTEMPON Isnc
    Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
    via G.Garibaldi 19
    Bovezzo, Italy 25073

    030 2712265

    Ponte Sisto
    Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
    Ponte Sisto
    Rome, Italy 00153

    Ponte Sisto is a bridge in Rome's historic centre, spanning the river Tiber. It connects Via dei Pettinari in the Rione of Regola to Piazza Trilussa in Trastevere. The construction of the current bridge occurred between 1473 and 1479, and was commissioned by Pope Sixtus IV (r. 1471-84), after whom it is named, from the architect Baccio Pontelli, who reused the foundations of a prior Roman bridge, the Pons Aurelius, which had been destroyed during the early Middle Ages. Currently traffic on the bridge is restricted to pedestrians.Roman Pons AureliusThe predecessor bridge to Ponte Sisto, the Pons Aurelius, was first mentioned by authors in the 4th and 5th centuries and was later known in the Middle Ages as "Pons Antoninus", "Pons Antonini in Arenula", and "Pons Ianicularis id est pons ruptus vulgariter nominatus et Tremelus et Antoninus".The Pons Antoninus was partially destroyed in 772, at the time the Lombard king Desiderius took Rome, and rebuilt in its current form by Pope Sixtus IV, whose name it carries to this day.Renaissance Ponte SistoThe bridge is architecturally characteristic because of the circular "oculus" or eye lightening the masonry of its central spandrel: this was erected to diminish the river's pressure on the bridge in case of flood.On the left bridge head are placed the copies of two marble slabs (removed in the 1990s after continued vandalism) bearing an elegant Latin inscription composed by Renaissance humanist Bartolomeo Platina in honour of Sixtus IV in occasion of the construction of the bridge. They recite:

    Villa Farnesina
    Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
    Trastevere
    Rome, Italy 00165

    +39 06 68027397

    The Villa Farnesina is a Renaissance suburban villa in the Via della Lungara, in the district of Trastevere in Rome, central Italy.

    Via Giulia
    Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
    via giulia 58
    Rome, Italy 00186

    Via Giulia è una strada storica di Roma lunga circa un chilometro. Si trova quasi tutta nel rione Regola. La parte a nord appartiene al rione Ponte.StoriaLa via fu progettata e realizzata solo in parte da papa Giulio II - dal quale prese il nome - allo scopo di aprire un nuovo percorso nel cuore di Roma. Corre da Ponte Sisto alla chiesa di San Giovanni dei Fiorentini, parallela al corso del Tevere. Ponte Sisto, costruito per ordine di papa Sisto IV ed aperto nel 1475, è stato l'unico ponte sul Tevere ad essere costruito tra la caduta dell'Impero ed il XIX secolo. Divenne la via più alla moda con i nuovi edifici dei mercanti e banchieri e con la presenza della comunità fiorentina, con le sue case, le sue chiese, le sue confraternite. Attualmente è una delle strade di lusso di Roma.La sua storia inizia nel 1508, come uno dei punti del programma di Giulio II per il rinnovamento di Roma e la creazione di una monarchia assoluta dello Stato Pontificio, che doveva ottenere il suo giusto ruolo tra le potenze europee.Per liberare il papato dalla dipendenza dalle grandi famiglie romane, si rivolse ai banchieri toscani, fuori dal circuito sia degli Orsini che dei Colonna, ed in particolare a Agostino Chigi, giunto da poco da Siena. Una parte importante del progetto globale di Giulio II fu la riorganizzazione della città medioevale di Roma, la cui mancata risistemazione diventava visibile man mano che la città cresceva di importanza economica, finita nel XIV secolo.

    Largo di Torre Argentina
    Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
    Largo di Torre Argentina
    Rome, Italy 00186

    Ponte Giuseppe Mazzini
    Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
    Ponte Giuseppe Mazzini
    Rome, Italy 00186

    Ponte Giuseppe Mazzini, also known as Ponte Mazzini, is a bridge that links Lungotevere dei Sangallo to Lungotevere della Farnesina in Rome (Italy), in the Rioni Regola and Trastevere.DescriptionThe bridge was designed by engineers Viani and Moretti and built between 1904 and 1908; it was dedicated to Giuseppe Mazzini, one of the makers of Italian unification. The bridge links Via della Lungara to via Giulia; it was formerly called Ponte Gianicolense, in remembrance of the ancient bridge with the same name.It shows three masonry arches and is 106m long.

    Liceo Classico Virgilio
    Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
    Via Giulia 38
    Rome, Italy 00186

    Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza
    Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
    Corso del Rinascimento 40
    Rome, Italy 00186

    Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza is a Roman Catholic church in Rome. Built in 1642-1660 by the architect Francesco Borromini, the church is a masterpiece of Roman Baroque architecture.The church is at the rear of a courtyard at 40, Corso del Rinascimento; the complex is now used by the Archives of the City of Rome.HistoryIn the 14th century, there was a chapel here for the palace of the University of Rome. The University is called La Sapienza, and the church was dedicated to Saint Yves (patron saint of jurists). When a design was commissioned from Borromini in the 17th century, he adapted to the already existing palazzo. He choose a plan resembling a star of David - which would have been recognized at the time as a Star of Solomon, symbolizing wisdom - and merged a curved facade of the church with the courtyard of the palace. The corkscrew lantern of the dome was novel. The complex rhythms of the interior have a dazzling geometry to them.The main artwork of the interior is the altarpiece by Pietro da Cortona, portraying St. Yves.ExteriorThe church rises at the end of a courtyard, known as the courtyard of Giacomo della Porta. The façade is concave, molding the church into the courtyard as if completing it rather than disrupting it. The façade itself looks like a continuation of the courtyard arches except with the openings filled in with small windows, a door, and a larger glass window above the door. Above the façade is a large parapet structure so that only the higher stages of the church is seen past the façade. A key exterior aspect is the top of the church: the lantern of Sant'Ivo is topped with a spiral shape, surmounted by a Cross.

    "Vacanze Romane"
    Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
    Via in Caterina, 81
    Rome, Italy 00186

    3921115933

    L'appartamento si trova a soli 1 minuto da Piazza Farnese, 2 minuti da Campo de' Fiori, 10 minuti da Piazza Navona, in Via in Caterina, una piccola traversa di una delle vie più belle ed eleganti, Via Giulia . Siamo nel cuore del centro storico di Roma, l'abitazione è ottimamente collegata dai mezzi pubblici e ubicata in una posizione davvero strategica e ideale per visitare la città eterna. I vicoli a pochi passi dall'appartamento presentano numerose boutiques d'abbigliamento, ristoranti e locali notturni. la dolce vita : IDEM st. john's house dietro il colosseo x 4/5 persone sopra a san Pietro: appartamento per 4/6 persone The apartment is located only 1 minute from Piazza Farnese, 2 minutes from Campo de 'Fiori, 10 minutes from Piazza Navona, Via in Catherine, a small side of one of the most beautiful and elegant Via Giulia. We are in the heart of Rome's historic center, the house is very well connected by public transport and is located in a strategic position ideal for visiting the Eternal City. The lanes are a short walk from numerous clothing boutiques, restaurants and nightclubs.

    Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi
    Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
    Piazza Navona
    Rome, Italy 00186

    Fontana dei Quattro Fiumi is a fountain in the Piazza Navona in Rome, Italy. It was designed in 1651 by Gian Lorenzo Bernini for Pope Innocent X whose family palace, the Palazzo Pamphili, faced onto the piazza as did the church of Sant'Agnese in Agone of which Innocent was the sponsor.The base of the fountain is a basin from the centre of which travertine rocks rise to support four river gods and above them, an ancient Egyptian obelisk surmounted with the Pamphili family emblem of a dove with an olive twig. Collectively, they represent four major rivers of the four continents through which papal authority had spread: the Nile representing Africa, the Danube representing Europe, the Ganges representing Asia, and the Río de la Plata representing the Americas.DesignBernini's design was selected in competition. The circumstances of his victory are described as follows in Filippo Baldinucci's The life of Cavaliere Bernini (1682):Public fountains in Rome served multiple purposes: first, they were highly needed sources of water for neighbors in the centuries prior to home plumbing. Second, they were monuments to the papal patrons. Earlier Bernini fountains had been the Fountain of the Triton in Piazza Barberini, the Fountain of the Moor in the southern end of Piazza Navona erected during the Barberini papacy, and the Neptune and Triton for Villa Peretti Montalto, whose statuary now resides at Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

    Palazzo Madama
    Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
    Piazza Madama 11
    Rome, Italy 00186

    3348166150

    Palazzo Madama in Rome is the seat of the Senate of the Italian Republic.It was built atop the ruins of the ancient baths of Nero, next to Piazza Navona. The terrain had been acquired in the Middle Ages by the monks of the Abbey of Farfa, who later ceded it to France.The new building was begun at the end of the 15th century and completed in 1505, for the Medici family. It housed two Medici cardinals and cousins, Giovanni and Giulio, who both later became popes as Leo X and Clement VII, respectively. Catherine de' Medici, Clement VII's niece, also lived here before she was married to Henry, son of King Francis I of France in 1533. Cardinal Francesco Maria Del Monte, patron of the artist Caravaggio, lived there until his death in 1627.The palace takes its name from Madama Margherita of Austria, illegitimate daughter of Emperor Charles V, who married another illegitimate son, Alessandro de' Medici and, after his death, Ottavio Farnese. Thus part of the art collection of the Florentine Medici family was inherited by the Farnese family.

    San Luigi dei Francesi
    Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
    Piazza di San Luigi de' Francesi, 21
    Rome, Italy 00186

    The Church of St. Louis of the French (San Luigi dei Francesi, Saint Louis des Français, S. Ludovici Francorum de Urbe) is a Roman Catholic church in Rome, not far from Piazza Navona. The church is dedicated to the Virgin Mary, to St. Denis the Areopagite and St. Louis IX, king of France. The church was designed by Giacomo della Porta and built by Domenico Fontana between 1518 and 1589, and completed through the personal intervention of Catherine de' Medici, who donated to it some property in the area. It is the national church in Rome of France. It is a titular church. The current Cardinal-Priest of the Titulus S. Ludovici Francorum de Urbe is André Vingt-Trois, Archbishop of Paris.

    Scuola ufficiali carabinieri
    Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
    Via Aurelia, 511
    Rome, Italy 00165

    +39 06 663941

    La Scuola ufficiali carabinieri è il massimo istituto di formazione dell'organizzazione addestrativa dell'Arma dei Carabinieri. La scuola - di rango universitario - cura la formazione e l'aggiornamento permanente dei quadri ufficiali. L'attuale comandante della Scuola ufficiali carabinieri è il generale di divisione Vittorio Tomasone.Cenni storiciIl primo corso sperimentale si tenne presso la Legione allievi Carabinieri con sede a Torino sulla base della circolare n. 12602 del 25 ottobre 1883 a firma del Comandante Generale. L'esito favorevole diede poi vita al primo embrione di ente formativo per i futuri ufficiali. La costituzione della Scuola ufficiali carabinieri ha avuto luogo con circolare del Comando Generale n. 9-5948 del 17 maggio 1884 allorché venne istituita presso la Legione allievi carabinieri di Torino la Scuola per marescialli d'alloggio aspiranti al grado di sottotenente, divenuta così il primo istituto dei carabinieri per la formazione specifica di ufficiali dell'Arma.La selezione degli ufficiali dalla base traeva origine dall'esperienza di Antico Regime, enfatizzata nel corso del periodo napolonico. Per quanto riguarda i Carabinieri Reali, a partire dal 1816 si procedette ai primi reclutamenti di ufficiali provenienti dalla truppa.Lo scopo della scuola venne definito sulla base della esigenza di "allargare le cognizioni letterarie e scientifiche degli aspiranti ufficiali e dar loro mezzo di perfezionare l'istruzione militare e di impratichirsi nell'equitazione".Nel novembre del 1885 la Legione allievi viene trasferita da Torino a Roma e con essa la Scuola aspiranti al grado di sottotenente si sposta nella nuova capitale.Con legge 30 dicembre 1906 n. 647 la scuola assume una fisionomia autonoma con la denominazione di "Scuola allievi ufficiali carabinieri reali" trovando nuova sistemazione in piazza del Risorgimento, nell'edificio che dal 1925 sarebbe stato - e lo è tuttora - "sede propria, esclusiva e quanto mai degna" del Museo Storico dell'Arma dei Carabinieri.