The Shaftesbury Theatre is a West End Theatre, located on Shaftesbury Avenue, in the London Borough of Camden.HistoryThe theatre was designed for the brothers Walter and Frederick Melville by Bertie Crewe and opened on 26 December 1911 with a production of The Three Musketeers, as the New Prince's Theatre, becoming the Prince's Theatre in 1914. It had a capacity of 2,392 and a stage 31' 10" wide by 31' deep.The Prince's was the last theatre to be built in Shaftesbury Avenue, and is located near New Oxford Street, perhaps explaining the many gaps between performances in its early years. It had considerable success with an 18-week season of Gilbert and Sullivan operas, presented by the D'Oyly Carte Opera Company, in 1919. These became a regular attraction at the theatre in the 1920s, interspersed with runs of theatre productions transferred from other venues. Basil Rathbone appeared at the Prince's Theatre in May 1933 when he played Julian Beauclerc in a revival of Diplomacy. The Rose of Persia was revived at the theatre in 1935. The D'Oyly Carte returned in 1942.The theatre was sold to EMI in 1962, and became the Shaftesbury Theatre the following year. Broadway productions that transferred to the theatre for long runs in the 1960s included Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (1962)and How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying (1963).
Konnect the capital''s latest unrivalled, multi-facetted clubbing experience in central London and is set to become the aspirational platform for London clubbers.
Party until sun rise and enjoy the expertly tuned Martin Audio sound system throughout two unique rooms, in this tailor-made clubbing experience. Konnect is the place where disco, tech house and deep house from world-renowned and upcoming DJs flows long into the night.
In a country that values understatement, St. James' Court is an English classic typifying the concealed charm of one of Britain's finest hotels. The custom of St. James’ Court, A Taj Hotel is the distinctive choice for more than service with a smile. With a distinguished pedigree shaped over more than a century, this discreet Victorian masterpiece with its famous Shakespearean Courtyard is perfectly placed between Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament in a historic enclave marking the centre of power. Crisp and elegant, with an easy charm that’s reserved, yet attentive, we strive to make each visit more pleasurable and memorable. Exceeding the expectations of today’s discerning traveller, St. James' Court is a slice of the past served up on a contemporary platter.
> An extensive selection of Beers: Belgian Specialties, Rare Brands, 4 Rotating Cask Ales on Tap
> Over 20 Excellent Brands of Whiskey!
>Large Function Room, with Private Bar available to hire for your next party
> Big Screens and Projectors to watch your favourite Sport Events live
> Lunch and evening menus feature excellent Traditional English Grub and International Favourites
> Sunday Roast
> Dog Friendly Pub
> Award-winning Budget Accommodation Upstairs
Central Hall Westminster Storey's Gate London, Westminster, LondonDistance: 1.1 miTourist Information 1 Storey's Gate, Westminster. SW1H 9NH London London, SW1H 9NH
As central London's largest Conference Venue, we create a spectacular atmosphere for your small and large events. Our clients value the remarkable range of flexible event spaces, stunning decor and natural light flooding our portfolio of 22 rooms. With a 100 year history in hosting events and overlooking London's most famous landmarks, this spacious Grade II listed venue is set to leave a lasting impression.
The venue offers world class facilities for high profile conferences, conventions, exhibitions and corporate events with capacity of up to 2,500 – hosting over 400 national and international events a year.
Situated in the shadow of Big Ben and Westminster Abbey, the Centre is served by outstanding transport links providing easy access to everything London has to offer and is within an hour’s transfer from five international airports.
Leith’s, our award winning in-house caterers can design tailored menus and suggest creative ways to accommodate special dietary requirements for your delegates.
Our experienced in-house AV and IT teams can advise on as well as implement your technical requirements. The centre has free Wi-Fi throughout and offers a brand new state-of-the art IPTV system.
The Queen Elizabeth II Conference Centre, your venue partner in London.
Queen Elizabeth II Conference CentreDistance: 1.1 miTourist Information Broad Sanctuary, Westminster London, SW1P 3EE
The Queen Elizabeth II Centre is in the City of Westminster, London, close to the Parliament of the United Kingdom.HistoryThe site now occupied by the Queen Elizabeth II Centre was previously occupied by several buildings. At the northern end of the site were the headquarters of the Stationery Office which had originally been the "Parliamentary Mews" built in 1825 by Decimus Burton and converted in 1853-5. The southern side was occupied by the Westminster Hospital built by W & H W Inwood in 1831-4 and expanded later that century and in 1924. The previous buildings became surplus to requirements in 1950 and were demolished; designs were drawn up by Thomas Tait for building a new Colonial Office on the site; however only the foundations had been built by the time progress was halted in 1952.DesignIn 1958 it was decided that there would be an open space on the southern edge of the site by Broad Sanctuary, and an architectural competition for a conference hall and government offices was held in 1961. The competition was won by William Whitfield but the scheme was not progressed due to the plans for redeveloping Whitehall drawn up by Leslie Martin in 1965. The site remained in limbo until a feasibility study for the conference centre was drawn up in 1975. The centre as eventually built was designed by Powell Moya & Partners and constructed by Bovis Construction with work starting in 1981; it was opened by Queen Elizabeth II in 1986.
Proud to be a part of House of Vans, at The Wall SE1 we aim to provide a space for all to sit, relax, recharge, energise, fraternise and generally enjoy themselves; whether for a quick pit stop or a leisurely morning, The Wall's team will provide.
The Wall SE1 was set up in as the food and drink operation within House of Vans London, which opened August 2014. It provides food and drink for skaters, member of the public, for the array of events that take place within the space, and for special guests like the Foo Fighters, to Tony Alva, to Julian Casablancas, to Christian Hosoi.
Inspired by the New York brunch scene and London life, we’ve created a menu to showcase American style with British ingredients and flair. We hope to share our love of big flavours, seasonal ingredients, lip-smacking and finger-dripping dishes with you.
We plan to do this alongside cookery classes for kids (our very own 'skate 'n bake') and anything we can think of that will engage the members of our HOV community.
The meeting and conference facilities available offer flexible space for a range of events. Whether you simply need one boardroom or a large plenary with smaller breakouts; every event at One Great George Street is allocated a dedicated event co-ordinator. From the traditionally decorated rooms to the purpose-built theatres, your business event can also easily be combined with social entertaining.
As a well-established London wedding venue, the team at One Great George Street know just how to help make your day that extra special occasion. With a dedicated Wedding Co-ordinator and meticulous attention to detail you can be assured that your wedding reception will run perfectly!
One Great George Street, Westminster.Distance: 1.0 miTourist Information 1 Great George Street City of Westminster, SW1P 3AA
County Hall is a building in London that was the headquarters of London County Council and later the Greater London Council . The building is on the South Bank of the River Thames, with Westminster Bridge being next to it, heading south. It faces west toward the City of Westminster and is close to the Palace of Westminster. The nearest London Underground stations are and.Today, County Hall is the site of businesses and attractions, including the London Sea Life Aquarium, London Dungeon and a Namco Station amusement arcade. The London Eye is next to County Hall, and its visitor centre is inside the building. There is also a suite of exhibition rooms which was home to the Saatchi Gallery from 2003 to 2006. Other parts of the building house two hotels, several restaurants, and some flats. Various spaces are available for hire for functions, including the council chamber at the heart of the building. Until January 2010 the Dali Universe was also in the building but this has now closed and will be reopening in another venue soon.
Absolute party cruises London is home to MV Royalty, One of the oldest vessels on The River Thames. And guess what? She is available for you to hire, day or night... at really affordable prices!
We love throwing a party and can help you plan your event on the Thames and guarantee a party to remember.
Our captains will be seen daily behind on This Morning so give them a wave!
Take a look at our website for more information and like our page for tickets, news and competitions! Have a good day!
Nestled among the plants and ponds of St James's Park, Inn the Park is an innovative cafe restaurant that blends seamlessly into its surroundings to offer a natural oasis right in the heart of London.
Call: 020 7451 9999 BOOKING FORM
Inn the Park,
St James's Park,
London, SW1A 2BJ
15.00-17.00 Afternoon tea
09.00 - 11.00 Breakfast
12.00 - 15.00 Lunch
15.00 - 17.00 Afternoon tea
Click here to visit the website for The Royal Parks
Click here to visit the website for The Royal Parks
Early risers can enjoy the tranquillity of its setting with hearty (or healthy) breakfast from 8am, while mid-morning lovers can settle in for lazy coffees and homemade cakes after the morning rush whilst watching the wildlife from our beautiful terrace.
From midday our Restaurant lunch menu offers inspired seasonal dishes made from the finest British produce. We also have a self-service cafe, offering handmade treats with floor-to-ceiling windows providing picturesque views of the lush surroundings.
Since opening in 2007 the 1901 Arts Club has turned into the lively hub of London's artistic community that Joji Hattori envisaged when he started the project. Used as an events venue and a central and beautiful space to rehearse and make music, it's frequented by chamber music ensembles, soloists, orchestras and societies.
Located on the vibrant South Bank of the Thames, the 1901 Arts Club is a unique venue dedicated to supporting artistic expression and bringing together musicians, artists and persons who share an appreciation for the arts. Inspired by Europe's salon culture, the Club seeks to foster conversation, collaboration, and the exchange of ideas in an intimate setting... and now on Facebook.
The Club is an elegant venue that can be hired exclusively to host single or regular events, providing a private atmosphere not only conducive to informal gatherings, but also business meetings, public recitals, corporate entertainment and private parties.
We offer bespoke packages for celebrations, recitals or small conferences that include mouthwatering catering, fine hospitality and entertainment, should you require.
Built in 1901 as a schoolmaster's house, the building maintains its late Victorian exterior while the Club's beautifully decorated rooms re-create the intimate ambience of a private salon. With a performance space, meeting room, terrace and bar among its facilities, the venue offers opportunities to make music with colleagues and friends, to meet with like-minded people, and to enjoy gatherings of all genres.
The Mall is a road in the City of Westminster, central London, between Buckingham Palace at its western end and Trafalgar Square via Admiralty Arch to the east. Before it terminates at Whitehall it is met by Horse Guards Road and Spring Gardens where the Metropolitan Board of Works and London County Council were once based. It is closed to traffic on Sundays, public holidays and on ceremonial occasions.HistoryThe Mall began as a field for playing pall-mall. In the 17th and 18th centuries it was a fashionable promenade, bordered by trees.The Mall was envisioned as a ceremonial route in the early 20th century, matching the creation of similar ceremonial routes in other cities such as Berlin, Mexico City, Oslo, Paris, Saint Petersburg, Vienna and Washington, D.C. These routes were intended to be used for major national ceremonies. As part of the development – designed by Aston Webb – a new façade was constructed for Buckingham Palace, and the Victoria Memorial was erected.
Royal Festival Hall stands at the heart of Southbank Centre complex. Opened in 1951 as part of the Festival of Britain, the Hall is one of the world’s leading performance venues.
As well as the auditorium, the building contains The Clore Ballroom, Southbank Centre Shop, several places to eat and drink, and the Saison Poetry Library.
Hello, and welcome to the official Southbank Centre Facebook page.
Keep up to date with our latest news, forthcoming events and festivals and please feel free to comment and review as we love to hear what you think.
Southbank Centre includes:
› Royal Festival Hall
› Hayward Gallery
› Queen Elizabeth Hall
› Purcell Room
› Saison Poetry Library
'One of London's most important spaces for displaying contemporary art, the Hayward Gallery is housed in an austere 1968 building that is both equally loved and derided by the majority of Londoners. Whichever camp you fall into, you'll agree that it makes an excellent hanging space for the blockbuster exhibitions it puts on.' (Lonely Planet)
Hayward Publishing - Publishing beautiful books on contemporary art. In collaboration with Hayward Gallery and the Arts Council Collection.
This superb building forms part of Coin Street Community Builder’s strategy to provide childcare, learning, enterprise support and leisure opportunities affordable to all members of the community.
The neighbourhood centre also has a range of contemporary purpose-built conference, meeting and event spaces, complete with floor to ceiling natural daylight and comprehensive audio-visual facilities. To find out more about hiring our spaces please visit www.coinstreetconferencecentre.org.
To connect with Coin Street, like us at www.facebook.com/CoinStreet
The Playhouse Theatre is a West End theatre in the City of Westminster, located in Northumberland Avenue, near Trafalgar Square. The Theatre was built by F. H. Fowler and Hill with a seating capacity of 1,200. It was rebuilt in 1907 and still retains its original substage machinery. Its current seating capacity is 786.HistoryEarly yearsBuilt by Sefton Henry Parry as the Royal Avenue Theatre, it opened on 11 March 1882 with 1200 seats. The first production at the theatre was Jacques Offenbach's Madame Favart. In its early seasons, the theatre hosted comic operas, burlesques and farces for several years. For much of this time, the low comedian Arthur Roberts, a popular star of the music halls, starred at the theatre. By the 1890s, the theatre was presenting drama, and in 1894 Annie Horniman, the tea heiress, anonymously sponsored the actress Florence Farr in a season of plays at the theatre. Farr's first production was unsuccessful, and so she prevailed upon her friend, George Bernard Shaw, to hurry and make his West End début at the theatre with Arms and the Man in 1894. It was successful enough to allow him to discontinue music criticism to focus full-time on play writing. The legendary actress Gladys Cooper managed the theatre for some years.
Wimbledon Village Distance: 0.6 miTourist Information 60 High Street London, United Kingdom SW19
Fun interactive play session accompanied by guitar and violin.
Songs, rhymes parachute games, puppets, storytime, bubbles. Suitable for 0-4 years.
Tuesdays 10am at East Finchley Baptist Church.
Drop-in. Cost £5 (£2.50 siblings).
The High Commission of South Africa in London is the diplomatic mission from South Africa to the United Kingdom. It is located at South Africa House, a building on Trafalgar Square, London. As well as containing the offices of the High Commissioner, the building also hosts the South African consulate. It has been a Grade II* Listed Building since 1982.HistorySouth Africa House was built by Holland, Hannen & Cubitts in the 1930s on the site of what had been Morley's Hotel until it was demolished in 1936. The building was designed by Sir Herbert Baker, with architectural sculpture by Coert Steynberg and Sir Charles Wheeler, and opened in 1933. The building was acquired by the government of South Africa as its main diplomatic presence in the UK. During World War II, Prime Minister Jan Smuts lived there while conducting South Africa's war plans.In 1961, South Africa became a republic, and withdrew from the Commonwealth due to its policy of racial segregation. Accordingly, the building became an Embassy, rather than a High Commission. During the 1980s, the building, which was one of the only South African diplomatic missions in a public area, was targeted by protesters from around the world. During the 1990 Poll Tax Riots, the building was set alight by rioters, although not seriously damaged.
Tyler Gibson Distance: 0.5 miTourist Information Strand, Charing Cross, London E1W3ST London, United Kingdom E1W3ST
Shell Mex House is a grade II listed building situated at number 80, Strand, London, UK. The current building was built in 1930–31 on the site of the Hotel Cecil and stands behind the original facade of the Hotel and between the Adelphi and the Savoy Hotel. Broadly Art Deco in style, it was designed by Ernest Joseph of the architectural firm of Messrs Joseph.Standing 58 m (190 ft) tall, with 537000sqft of floor space, Shell Mex House has 12 floors (plus basement and sub-basement) and is immediately recognizable from the River Thames and the South Bank by the clock tower positioned on the south side of the building (flanked by two large, hieratic figures at the south corners). The clock, which was known for a time as "Big Benzene", is the biggest in London, and was supplied by Gillett & Johnston of Croydon. It has faces looking towards the river and towards the Strand. It was described by architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner as "thoroughly unsubtle, but...hold its own in London's river front."The building was for many years the London headquarters of Shell-Mex and BP Ltd for which it was originally built. Shell-Mex and BP Ltd was a joint venture company created by Shell and British Petroleum in 1932 when they decided to merge their United Kingdom marketing operations. Upon the brand separation of Shell-Mex and BP Ltd in 1975, Shell Mex House became the head office of Shell UK Ltd, which was Shell's UK operating company. Changes in the way that Shell was run in the 1990s led to the disposal of the property by Shell. Today, simply known as 80 Strand, most of its floors are occupied by companies belonging to Pearson PLC, which use it as their registered office, including Pearson Learning Technologies, Penguin Books, Dorling Kindersley, Michael Joseph, Rough Guides and Pearson Global English.
The Odeon West End, from 1930 to 1988 known as Leicester Square Theatre, was a cinema on the south side of Leicester Square, London. It contained two screens—screen 1 seats 500 and screen 2 seats 832. It was often used for smaller film premieres, and hosted the annual BFI London Film Festival. The building is opposite the much larger flagship Odeon Leicester Square.Odeon Cinemas sold the building to three Irish investors in 2006, though continued to lease it. In 2012 it was bought by the Radisson Edwardian hotel group and closed as a cinema on 1 January 2015, ahead of planned redevelopment as a luxury hotel.HistoryThe Odeon was built in 1930 as the Leicester Square Theatre, a name it largely remained with until 1988. The theatre was built as a cine-variety venue for Jack Buchanan - a penthouse apartment was housed on the roof for the star - and showcased both film and short variety performances, before going over to film on a more permanent basis. A large single screen was housed in an ornate, three-tiered auditorium.It was sold to J. Arthur Rank in 1937 and became Rank's first cinema, although not named Odeon for many years to come.The cinema was modernised in 1968 into a much blander shell, based around a remodelled stalls and single circle. In 1988 it was changed into a two-screen venue (Screen 1 in the former circle and Screen 2 in the stalls) and renamed Odeon West End.The site was sold by Odeon Cinemas to three Irish investors in February 2006, though continued to operate as part of the Odeon chain. Ownership subsequently passed to the Irish National Asset Management Agency and in 2012 it was sold to the Radisson Edwardian hotel company.
Bayt Qatar Distance: 0.5 miTourist Information 2 Savoy Place, next to the River Thames and on the Olympic Route Network London, United Kingdom WC2R 0
Welcome to our place of warmth, Arab hospitality, friendship and our home away from home during the London 2012 Olympic Games.
‘Bayt’ means more than a house; it represents hospitality at the heart of the family. Bayt Qatar is a home to athletes, journalists and visitors, and from here, we extend a warm hand of friendship and a bridge of understanding to all those who have gathered around Olympic values from the world’s four corners.
From women’s sports to modern Arab art, real-estate to scientific innovation, Bayt Qatar provides a unique showcase of our nation’s sporting progress and ambitions, as well as our wider cultural, educational, and economic aspirations.
On this page you will find details of how to get to the House, what you will find here, and the different ways in which you can take advantage of our facilities and hospitality throughout the Games.
The Comedy Store Distance: 0.5 miTourist Information 7 Oxendon St Hackney, United Kingdom SW1Y 4EE
The Comedy Store is a comedy club located in Soho, London, England, opened in 1979 by Don Ward and Peter Rosengard.It was named after The Comedy Store club in the United States, which Rosengard had visited the previous year. Starting out above a strip club, in 1982 they moved to Leicester Square at a premises they were able to take over formally in 1985.The club was the focus of the "alternative comedy" boom in the early 1980s and helped start the careers of many comedians, including Paul Merton, French & Saunders, Alexei Sayle, Rik Mayall, Adrian Edmondson, Ben Elton, Mark Thomas, Andrew Bailey, Pat Condell and John Sparkes.In October 1985, an improvisational group called The Comedy Store Players was formed, consisting of Mike Myers, Neil Mullarkey, Kit Hollerbach, Dave Cohen and Paul Merton. The group has had several lineup changes over the years, and now features a rotating team of Neil Mullarkey, Paul Merton, Josie Lawrence, Richard Vranch (a comedy improviser who also plays piano), Jim Sweeney, Lee Simpson and Andy Smart, together with frequent guest appearances. Several of The Comedy Store Players appeared on the BBC Radio 4 and Channel 4 comedy game show Whose Line Is It Anyway?.
The Duke of York's Theatre is a West End Theatre in St Martin's Lane, in the City of Westminster, London. It was built for Frank Wyatt and his wife, Violet Melnotte, who retained ownership of the theatre until her death in 1935. It opened on 10 September 1892 as the Trafalgar Square Theatre, with Wedding Eve. The theatre, designed by architect Walter Emden became known as the Trafalgar Theatre in 1894 and the following year became the Duke of York's to honour the future King George V.One of the earliest musical comedies, Go-Bang, was a success at the theatre in 1894. In 1900, Jerome K. Jerome's Miss Hobbs was staged as well as David Belasco's Madame Butterfly, which was seen by Puccini, who later turned it into the famous opera. This was also the theatre where J. M. Barrie's Peter Pan, or The Boy Who Wouldn't Grow Up debuted on 27 December 1904. Many famous British actors have appeared here, including Basil Rathbone, who played Alfred de Musset in Madame Sand in June 1920, returning in November 1932 as the Unknown Gentleman in Tonight or Never.
The Apollo Theatre is a Grade II listed West End theatre, on Shaftesbury Avenue in the City of Westminster, in central London. Designed by the architect Lewin Sharp for owner Henry Lowenfeld, it became the fourth legitimate theatre to be constructed on the street when it opened its doors on 21 February 1901, with the American musical comedy The Belle of Bohemia.HistoryConstructionBecause Henry Lowenfeld had bought land on the newly created Shaftesbury Avenue at the turn of the 20th century – next door to the Lyric Theatre which opened in 1888 – the Apollo is one of the few theatres in London to be freehold.The only complete theatre design of architect Lewin Sharp, the Apollo was specifically designed for musical theatre and named after the Greek god of the arts and leader of the muses. Constructed by builder Walter Wallis of plain London brick in keeping with the neighbouring streets, the front piece is in the Renaissance style with sculpted stone fascia by T. Simpson. The structure encloses a four-level auditorium, with three cantilevered balconies and a first floor central loggia, decorated in the Louis XIV Style by Hubert van Hooydonk. In keeping with then European style, each level has its own foyer and promenade.
The Gielgud Theatre is a West End theatre, located on Shaftesbury Avenue in the City of Westminster, London, at the corner of Rupert Street. The house currently has 986 seats on three levels.The theatre was designed by W.G.R. Sprague and opened on 27 December 1906 as the Hicks Theatre, named after Seymour Hicks, for whom it was built. The first play at the theatre was a hit musical called The Beauty of Bath co-written by Hicks. Another big success was A Waltz Dream in 1908. In 1909, the American impresario Charles Frohman became manager of the theatre and renamed the house the Globe Theatre – a name that it retained for 85 years. Call It a Day opened in 1935 and ran for 509 performances, a long run for the slow inter-war years. There's a Girl in My Soup, opening in 1966, ran for almost three years, a record for the theatre that was not surpassed until Daisy Pulls It Off opened in April 1983 to run for 1,180 performances, the theatre's longest run. In 1987 Peter Shaffer's play Lettice and Lovage opened, starring Maggie Smith, and became a hit.The Globe's theatre cat, named Beerbohm, became famous enough to receive a front page obituary in the theatrical publication, The Stage in 1995. Refurbished in 1987, the theatre has since presented several Alan Ayckbourn premieres, including Man of the Moment (1990), as well as a notable revival of An Ideal Husband in 1992. During reconstruction of Shakespeare's Globe theatre on the South Bank, in 1994 the theatre was renamed the Gielgud Theatre in honour of John Gielgud. Another refurbishment was completed in 2008.
Gibraltar House, es la oficina de representación del Gobierno de Su Majestad de Gibraltar en Londres. Funciona como un consulado informal, centro de información turística sobre el territorio británico de ultramar de Gibraltar y se ocupa de las necesidades de los pacientes enviados por la Autoridad Sanitaria de Gibraltar para recibir tratamiento médico en el Reino Unido.HistoriaLa primera Gibraltar House, una pequeña oficina de turismo, fue inaugurada en Northumberland Avenue, Londres, a principios de los años 1970. La primera directora fue Helen Gordon. Una Oficina de Turismo de Gibraltar se abrió posteriormente en Trafalgar Square, bajo el mando de John Joe Gomez. Poco después, se abrió una oficina mucho más grande en 179 Strand, dirigida por Jose Rosado y más tarde por Richard Garcia. En 1989, Albert Poggio asumió el cargo de director, el cual ocupa hasta la actualidad (fue sustituido brevemente por Peter Canessa entre 2011 y 2012). En 2009, la Casa de Gibraltar se trasladó a su ubicación actual en 150 Strand.
The Novello Theatre is a West End theatre on Aldwych, in the City of Westminster.HistoryThe theatre was built as one of a pair with the Aldwych Theatre on either side of the The Waldorf Hilton, London, both being designed by W. G. R. Sprague. The theatre was opened by The Shubert Organization as the Waldorf Theatre on 22 May 1905, and was renamed the Strand Theatre, in 1909. It was again renamed as the Whitney Theatre in 1911, before again becoming the Strand Theatre in 1913. In 2005, the theatre was renamed by its owners (Delfont Mackintosh Theatres) the Novello Theatre in honour of Ivor Novello, who lived in a flat above the theatre from 1913 to 1951.The black comedy Arsenic and Old Lace had a run of 1337 performances here in the 1940s, and Sailor Beware! ran for 1231 performances from 1955. Stephen Sondheim's musical A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum opened here in 1963, running for nearly two years. In 1971, the comedy No Sex Please, We're British opened here, remaining for over 10 years of its 16-year run until it transferred to the Garrick Theatre in 1982.
Bush House is a Grade II listed building between Aldwych and the Strand in Central London at the southern end of Kingsway.Now part of the Strand Campus of King's College London, Bush House previously served as the headquarters of BBC World Service. The broadcast from Bush House lasted for 70 years, from Winter 1941 to Summer 2012. The final BBC broadcast from Bush House was the 12pm BST English bulletin on 12 July 2012. The BBC World Service is now housed in Broadcasting House in Portland Place. King's College London has taken over the premises since acquiring the lease in 2015.HistorySections of Bush House were completed and opened over a period of 10 years: Centre Block was opened in 1925, North-West Wing in 1928, North-East Wing in 1929, South-East Wing in 1930, and South-West Wing in 1935. The full building complex was completed in 1935.The building was commissioned, designed and originally owned by American individuals and companies. Irving T. Bush gained approval for his plans for the building in 1919, which was planned as a major new trade centre and designed by American architect Harvey Wiley Corbett. The construction was undertaken by John Mowlem & Co. At least one stonemason, Frederick Horton (died 17 Sep 1920, age 50) is known to have died during the construction, but overall the building had a very good safety record.
The Fortune Theatre is a 432-seat West End theatre on Russell Street, near Covent Garden, in the City of Westminster.HistoryThe site was acquired by author, playwright and impresario Laurence Cowen, and had previously been the location of the old Albion Tavern, a public house that was frequented by Georgian and Victorian actors. The theatre is situated next to Crown Court Church, and dwarfed by the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane on the opposite side of the road.Cowen commissioned architect Ernest Schaufelberg to design the theatre in an Italianate style. Constructed from 1922-24, it was the first theatre to be built in London after the end of the First World War. One of the first buildings in London to experiment with concrete, its façade is principally made of bush hammered concrete, with brick piers supporting the roof. Since the demolition of the original Wembley Stadium, the theatre is now the oldest remaining public building designed wholly using concrete as a textured and exposed façade. The theatre's famous figurine, Terpsichore (perched high above the entrance) was sculpted by M. H. Crichton of the Bromsgrove Guild, a noted company of artisans from Worcestershire. The theatre is entered through bronze double doors, and internally there is a foyer of grey and red marble, with a beaten copper ticket booth.
The Peacock Theatre is a theatre in the City of Westminster, located in Portugal Street, near Aldwych. The 999-seat house is owned by, and comprises part of the London School of Economics and Political Science campus, who utilise the theatre for lectures, public talks, conferences, political speeches and open days.The university has a long lease with London's principal centre for contemporary dance, Sadler's Wells, with whom it has negotiated a deal to bring in dance companies under the banner 'Sadler's Wells in the West End'. The venue often plays host to dance performances, conferences, ballet, pop concerts and award ceremonies. The stage is approximately 36ft by 33ft.Gibbon's Tennis Court became used as a theatre on this site in the 17th century. In 1911, the London Opera House opened on this site, becoming the National Theatre of England, three years later. Neither theatre was successful and the venture was sold, becoming the Stoll Theatre, in 1916.HistoryFormer theatresA theatre has stood on the site since the 17th century. Known as Gibbon's Tennis Court, or the Vere Street Theatre. Mrs Hughes became the first (identified) woman to tread the boards of a London theatre, on 8 December 1660, in a performance of Othello. The company left the theatre in 1663 and there is no record of further plays at the theatre. The building was finally destroyed by fire in 1809.