EuroZoid
Discover The Most Popular Places In Europe

Convent of Las Descalzas Reales, Madrid | Tourist Information


3 Calle de San Martín
Madrid, Spain 28013

915212779

The Convent of Las Descalzas Reales is a royal monastery situated in Madrid, Spain, administered by the Patrimonio Nacional.HistoryThe Monasterio de las Descalzas Reales, literally the "Monastery of the Royal Barefoot ed", resides in the former palace of King Charles I of Spain and Isabel of Portugal. Their daughter, Joanna of Austria, founded this convent of nuns of the Poor Clare order in 1559. Throughout the remainder of the 16th century and into the 17th century, the convent attracted young widowed or spinster noblewomen. Each woman brought with her a dowry. The riches quickly piled up, and the convent became one of the richest convents in all of Europe. Tomás Luis de Victoria, Spain's finest Renaissance composer, worked at the convent from 1587 to the end of his life in 1611.The demographics of the convent slowly changed over time, and by the 20th century, all of the sisters were in poverty. The convent maintained the riches of its past, but it was forbidden to auction any of the items off or spend any of the money it received from the dowries. The state intervened when it saw that the sisters were poor, and the pope granted a special dispensation to open the convent as a museum in 1960.Alfonso, Duke of Anjou and Cádiz (died 1989) is buried in the Chapel of Saint John the Baptist next to his elder son Francisco de Asís (died 1984). Alfonso's younger brother Gonzalo (died 2000) is buried in the Chapel of Saint Sebastian.

Catholic Church Near Convent of Las Descalzas Reales

Parroquia Nuestra Señora De Europa
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
Dr. Vallejo Nájera, 23
Madrid, 28005

914748843

Iglesia De La Virgen De La Paloma
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
19 Calle de la Paloma
Madrid, 28005

913654669

Parroquia De San Lorenzo, Lavapies
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Calle De La Fe
Madrid, 28012

San Cayetano Church, Madrid
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
c/. Embajadores, 15
Madrid, 28005

915 27 07 90

The Church of Saint Cajetan, known as the church of San Millán y San Cayetano is a Baroque church in Madrid, Spain.HistoryThe present church was built adjacent to the now absent Convent of Nuestra Señora del Favor . It was built at the site of an oratory dedicated to St. Mark and Our Lady of the Graces, and founded in 1612 by Diego de Vera y Ordóñez de Villaquián. Thirty two years later, the father Plácido Mirto establishes a Convent of the Theatine Order. The church is dedicated to the founder of the order, Saint Cajetan of Thiene. In 1822, the remaining monks were moved to a convent in Zaragoza, and the convent, which had suffered depredations during the Napoleonic occupation of the peninsula, was ceded temporarily to the Franciscans of San Gil. In 1836, after the Desamortización de Mendizábal, the convent building becomes private apartments. In 1869, the church is joined to the parish of the demolished Saint Millán Abad. On July 19, 1936, arson gutted all but the facade. In 1960, reconstruction began on the church. In 1980 San Cayetano was declared a Bien de Interés Cultural by the Spanish government.DescriptionConstruction of the church began in 1669 by the architect Marcos López. Work was continued by others, including likely José de Churriguera and Pedro de Ribera, and not completed till 1761 by Francisco de Moradillo.

Iglesia De San Millán Y San Cayetano
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Calle Embajadores, 15
Madrid, 28690

Basílica San Francisco el Grande
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Gran Via de San Francisco
Madrid, 28005

Real Basilica De San Francisco, Madrid
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Plaza de San Francisco, s/n, 28005 Madrid
Madrid, 28005

Universidad Eclesiástica San Dámaso
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Calle Jerte, 10
Madrid, 28005

913644010

Facebook oficial de la Universidad Eclesiástica San Dámaso. 'Veritatis Verbum Communicantes'. http://www.sandamaso.es

Colegio Sagrado Corazón
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
magdalena sofia 12
Madrid,

Iglesia de San Andrés
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Plaza San Andrés, 1
Madrid, 28005

+34 913 654 871

San Isidro Church, Madrid
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Calle Toledo, 37
Madrid, 28012

The church of San Isidro el Real, also known as the Colegiata or Collegiate Church of San Isidore, is a Baroque church in the centre of Madrid, Spain. It is named after and holds the remains of the patron saint of Madrid, Isidore the Laborer and his wife Santa María de la Cabeza.HistoryThe temple is due to a design by the architect Pedro Sánchez in 1620. The works, began two years later and they were directed by the architect until his death in 1633. They were later continued by Francisco Bautista and Melchor de Bueras, who finished the construction in 1664. The church replaced the parish of St. Peter and St. Paul (16th century), which was demolished to create the early Imperial College, following the instructions left in her will by Empress Mary of Austria (1528-1608), daughter of Charles I and sister to King Phillip II of Spain. The Empress bequeathed his fortune to the Jesuits Order so that a new building was to be built on the site of the demolished parish church.The temple was consecrated on 23 September 1651, thirteen years before its completion. It was initially attached to before mentioned Jesuits order and placed under the avocation of St. Francis Xavier, one of the most distinguished Jesuits member and Saint patron of the Catholic Missions. However, in 1767, with the expulsion of the Jesuits, the temple became a collegiate church.Two years later, in 1769, the temple came under the patronage of Saint Isidro, coinciding with the transfer of the saint's body from the Church of St. Andrew. St. Isidro is the Saint protector of the city of Madrid and his remaining had been guarded since the sixteenth century in the Bishop's Chapel at St. Andrew church. The relics of his wife Saint Mary of the Head were also transferred.

Real Colegiata de San Isidro
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Calle Toledo, 37
Madrid,

Parroquia Santo Cristo del Olivar
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
C/ Cañizares, 4
Madrid, 28012

913 60 30 00

¡Hola! Te esperábamos...eres bienvenido. Aquí puedes conocer cómo es nuestra parroquia con su misión, su historia, sus sueños. Entra para ver y sentir el Espíritu que la anima, puede ser que encuentres alguna buena noticia entre nosotros. Nuestra parroquia quiere ser "una casa fraterna, abierta, acogedora", como parte de la Iglesia que existe para que todos tengamos más Vida.

Iglesia de San Pedro el Viejo
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
C/. Nuncio, 14
Madrid, 28005

San Sebastian Church, Madrid
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Calle de Atocha, 39
Madrid, 28012

955 685 768

La iglesia de san Sebastián es una de las iglesias del casco histórico de Madrid, situada en la calle de Atocha, n.º 39, en el antiguo barrio de las Musas.Es conocida por albergar los restos mortales del dramaturgo Lope de Vega, aunque hoy se desconoce su situación exacta, y por los personajes célebres de todo tipo que se contaron entre su feligresía.HistoriaEl origen de su nombre se debe a una ermita que se encontraba en el camino hacia el Santuario de Nuestra Señora de Atocha, sobre el que se funda en 1541. Por entonces estaba probablemente aneja a la Parroquia de la Santa Cruz. Al constituirse en parroquia independiente a los pocos años, se le asignan parte de los feligreses de ésta. Hacia 1550 el primitivo edificio es demolido por amenazar ruina. Se compra en 1553 el actual solar de la calle Atocha, y de 1554 a 1575 es levantado el edificio bajo la dirección de Antonio Sillero, que realiza también la actualmente conocida como capilla del Sagrado Corazón. Esta iglesia, junto con la de san Luis (desaparecida), conservaban el derecho de asilo, es decir, se podían refugiar en ellas quienes temían la persecución de la justicia.A lo largo de los años se irían añadiendo nuevas capillas. Las ampliaciones fueron obra de Antonio de la Tijera, Juan de Bulga Valdelastras y Juan de Obregón (maestros de obras) entre 1595 y 1598. La torre de la iglesia fue construida en 1612 por Lucas Hernández. Ángel Fernández de los Ríos —en su Guía de Madrid, de 1876— sitúa la fundación de la cofradía de comediantes de la Virgen de la Novena, el 24 de julio de 1624, por los «representantes» (actores), «autores» (empresarios) y dramaturgos de la villa, en la parroquia de San Sebastián (en cuyo pequeño camposanto consta que se depositaron los restos mortales del «Fénix de los Ingenios», Lope de Vega).

Basilica Jesus De Medinaceli
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Plaza de Jesús 5
Madrid, 28014

91 429 93 75

St. Michael's Basilica
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Calle de San Justo, 4
Madrid,

+34 915 484 011

La Basílica de San Miguel está ubicada en la calle de San Justo, en Madrid . Se encuentra junto al Palacio Arzobispal, en el corazón de la zona conocida como Madrid de los Austrias. Está adscrita a la Nunciatura apostólica en España, que la ha confiado al Opus Dei desde 1960, y es la sede de la Hermandad de los Estudiantes .A pesar de sus pequeñas dimensiones, se trata de una de las construcciones arquitectónicas más relevantes del Barroco español, por la singular forma convexa de su fachada y su original planta, poco habitual en el país y única en el Barroco madrileño. El templo, que empezó a construirse en el año 1739, posee una notable influencia italiana.La basílica fue declarada Monumento Histórico Artístico Nacional el 28 de noviembre de 1984, según Real decreto.HistoriaLa Basílica de San Miguel se emplaza sobre el solar de la parroquia de los Santos Justo y Pastor, mártires cristianos que, según la tradición, murieron en Alcalá de Henares. Poco se conoce sobre esta desaparecida iglesia, una de las más antiguas de la ciudad. Su construcción era anterior al siglo XIII, o al menos eso se desprende del Fuero de 1202, en el que se la cita. El templo sufrió un incendio en 1690 y quedó completamente destruido.

Iglesia San Jeronimo elReal
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Calle Moreto, 4
Madrid, 28014

Iglesia De los Jeronimos-Madrid
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Calle de Moreto, 4
Madrid, 28014

91 420 30 78

Iglesia del Sacramento
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Calle del Sacramento, 11
Madrid, 28005

The Iglesia del Sacramento is a 17th-century, Baroque-style, Roman Catholic church located in Madrid, Spain. Since 1980 is the Military Cathedral of Spain and the seat of the Military Archbishop of Spain. It was declared Bien de Interés Cultural in 1982.

Parroquia Santa María de la Almudena
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Mayor, 90-92
Madrid, 28013

915 42 65 22

Museo Catedral de la Almudena
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Plaza de la Almudena
Madrid, 28013

915592874

(Contribución para el mantenimiento de la Catedral) 1- Entrada visita al Museo, Sala Capitular y Sacristía con subida a la cúpula de la Catedral. Tarifa individual: 6€ 2- Grupos, parroquias, familias numerosas, minusválidos, pensionistas, estudiantes y vecinos de Madrid. Tarifa reducida: 4€ 3- Precio especial para colegios: 2,5€ por alumno. 4- Sacerdotes, religiosos y religiosas y miembros del ICOM: entrada gratuita.

Hermitage of Virgen del Puerto
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Paseo Virgen del Puerto, 4 - Madrid
Madrid, 28005

913 66 77 69

La ermita de la Virgen del Puerto de Madrid (España) está situada en el paseo de la Virgen del Puerto (antiguo Paseo Nuevo de la Corte), en las inmediaciones del Palacio Real. Es obra de Pedro de Ribera, fue construida entre 1716 y 1718 por empeño personal de Antonio de Salcedo y Aguirre, primer marqués de Vadillo, por entonces corregidor de Madrid. La ermita resultó completamente destruida en el transcurso de la Guerra Civil durante la defensa de Madrid, junto con la talla de la virgen ubicada en su interior. El edificio existente a comienzos de la primera época del siglo XXI es una reconstrucción realizada en 1945. Durante siglos fue el destino de la romería madrileña en adoración de la imagen de la virgen del Puerto que hay en su interior, costumbre que dio lugar a la verbena de la Melonera.

Landmark Near Convent of Las Descalzas Reales

Espacio Ecooo
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Calle Escuadra Nº11
Madrid, Spain 28012

912940094

Discoteca Olé
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
C/Calatrava 32
Madrid, Spain 28005

913668068

Cava Baja
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Calle Cava Baja n1
Madrid, Spain 28005

682444591

Teatro Monumental
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Calle de Atocha 65
Madrid, Spain 28012

+34 914 291 281

The Teatro Monumental is a concert hall in Madrid. The theatre, designed by Teodoro Anasagasti Algan, was built between 1922 and 1923 as a movie theatre and later was transformed to house symphonic concerts.The theatre is the concert venue of the RTVE Symphony Orchestra.

San Isidro Church, Madrid
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Calle Toledo, 37
Madrid, Spain 28012

The church of San Isidro el Real, also known as the Colegiata or Collegiate Church of San Isidore, is a Baroque church in the centre of Madrid, Spain. It is named after and holds the remains of the patron saint of Madrid, Isidore the Laborer and his wife Santa María de la Cabeza.HistoryThe temple is due to a design by the architect Pedro Sánchez in 1620. The works, began two years later and they were directed by the architect until his death in 1633. They were later continued by Francisco Bautista and Melchor de Bueras, who finished the construction in 1664. The church replaced the parish of St. Peter and St. Paul (16th century), which was demolished to create the early Imperial College, following the instructions left in her will by Empress Mary of Austria (1528-1608), daughter of Charles I and sister to King Phillip II of Spain. The Empress bequeathed his fortune to the Jesuits Order so that a new building was to be built on the site of the demolished parish church.The temple was consecrated on 23 September 1651, thirteen years before its completion. It was initially attached to before mentioned Jesuits order and placed under the avocation of St. Francis Xavier, one of the most distinguished Jesuits member and Saint patron of the Catholic Missions. However, in 1767, with the expulsion of the Jesuits, the temple became a collegiate church.Two years later, in 1769, the temple came under the patronage of Saint Isidro, coinciding with the transfer of the saint's body from the Church of St. Andrew. St. Isidro is the Saint protector of the city of Madrid and his remaining had been guarded since the sixteenth century in the Bishop's Chapel at St. Andrew church. The relics of his wife Saint Mary of the Head were also transferred.

Cafe de Sherezade
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
C/Santa María 18
Madrid, Spain 28014

918053224

Real Academia de la Historia
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Calle de León, 21
Madrid, Spain 28014

+34 914 290 611

'' is a Spanish institution based in Madrid that studies history "ancient and modern, political, civil, ecclesiastical, military, scientific, of letters and arts, that is to say, the different branches of life, of civilisation, and of the culture of the Spanish people".The Academy was established in 1738. Since 1836 it has occupied an 18th-century building designed by the neoclassical architect Juan de Villanueva.CollectionsAs formerly the main Spanish institution for antiquaries, the Academy retains significant libraries and collections of antiquities, which cannot be seen by the public. The keeper of antiquities is the prehistorian Martín Almagro Gorbea.Items held include: The Glosas Emilianenses The Roda Codex The Missorium of Theodosius I, a large ceremonial silver dish, probably made in Constantinople for the tenth anniversary (decennalia) in 388 of the reign of the Emperor Theodosius I, the last Emperor to rule both the Eastern and Western Empires. It is one of the best surviving examples of Late Antique Imperial imagery and one of finest examples of late Roman goldsmith work.CriticismSome Spanish historians consider it an obsolete misogynist institution, that still considers history as a matter of kings and battles.

Restaurante Botin
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
C/ CUCHILLEROS 17
Madrid, Spain 28005

91 366 42 17

Bienvenidos al Restaurante más antiguo del Mundo según Record Guiness. Donde la mezcla de sabor, calidad y amabilidad son nuestra carta de presentación Reserva de Mesa : http://botin.es/web/?q=es/reservas. Calle Cuchilleros 17 Madrid 28005 Reserva telefónica: +34 91 366 42 17

La tienda de moda de tallas grandes
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Angela Cufi
Madrid, Spain 28039

915 700 420

Iglesia del Sacramento
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Calle del Sacramento, 11
Madrid, Spain 28005

The Iglesia del Sacramento is a 17th-century, Baroque-style, Roman Catholic church located in Madrid, Spain. Since 1980 is the Military Cathedral of Spain and the seat of the Military Archbishop of Spain. It was declared Bien de Interés Cultural in 1982.

Beautiful Places
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
MADRID
Madrid, Spain 28036

MUNDO EVENTOS
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
madrid
Madrid, Spain 28029

Centro Gallego de Madrid
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
C/ Carretas 14, 3º
Madrid, Spain 28012

915 32 30 01

El Centro Gallego de Madrid es una institución fundada en el año 1982. Mantenemos el firme y decidido compromiso de divulgar la identidad y cultura gallegas a través de numerosas actividades (cursos de formación, exposiciones, conferencias, conciertos, encuentros, etc.). También contamos con un restaurante en el que degustar las mejor cocina tradicional gallega. El Centro está abierto a nuestros socios, gallego-descendientes y a todo el público en general.

Church of San José
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Calle de Alcalá, 43
Madrid, Spain 28014

915 22 67 84

The Church of San José is a church located in Madrid, Spain. It was declared Bien de Interés Cultural in 1995.

Royal Monastery of La Encarnación, Madrid
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Plaza de la Encarnación 1
Madrid, Spain 28013

915475350

The Royal Monastery of the Incarnation or Real Monasterio de la Encarnación is a convent of the order of Recolet Augustines located in Madrid, Spain. The institution mainly interned women from noble families, and was founded by the Queen Margaret of Austria, wife of Philip III, and thus was well endowed with wealth. Although it belongs to an enclosed religious order, the building is open to the public under the administration of the Patrimonio Nacional.HistoryThe impulse for the founding of the monastery by Queen Margaret, and sometimes the nuns are called las Margaritas, was to celebrate her husband's expulsion of the Moriscos, resident Moors. The queen had the prioress of the monastery of discalced nuns of San Agustín in Valladolid, Mother Mariana de San José, accompanied by Francisca de San Ambrosio (sister of the marquesa de Pozas), Catalina de la Encarnación, and Isabel de la Cruz. First lodged in the Convent of Santa Isabel while they awaited the completion, they received donations from the king and queen, including jewels, to finance the monastery. The monastery was built adjacent to the then extant Real Alcázar, and had a passageway to allow the royals direct access. The monastery was inaugurated in the 2nd of July 1616, a few years after the queen had died.

Sabatini Gardens
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Calle Bailén, 2
Madrid, Spain 28013

The Sabatini Gardens are part of the Royal Palace in Madrid, Spain, and were opened to the public by King Juan Carlos I in 1978. They honor the name of Francesco Sabatini, an Italian architect of the 18th century who designed, among other works at the palace, the royal stables of the palace, previously located at this site.In 1933, clearing of the stable buildings was begun, and construction of the gardens begun, which were only completed in the late 1970s. The gardens have a formal Neoclassic style, consisting of well-sheared hedges, in symmetric geometrical patterns, adorned with a pool, statues and fountains, with trees also disposed in a symmetrical geometric shape. The statues are those of Spanish kings, not intended originally to even grace a garden, but originally crowding the adjacent palace. The tranquil array is a peaceful corner from which to view the palace.

Palacio del Senado
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
10 Plaza de la Marina Española
Madrid, Spain 28013

El Palacio del Senado es la sede del Senado, una de las dos cámaras que componen las Cortes Generales, el parlamento nacional de España.HistoriaEl Palacio del Senado se encuentra en Madrid, en la plaza de la Marina Española. Es un edificio del siglo XVI, antiguo Colegio de la Encarnación, de religiosos agustinos calzados también llamado Colegio de doña María de Aragó (parte del complejo del Real Monasterio de la Encarnación). El colegio fue una de las instituciones más destacadas de la Corte madrileña, y su iglesia contenía varias obras maestras de El Greco, hoy en el Museo del Prado.Fue el lugar de reunión de las Cortes unicamerales (anteriormente reunidas en Cádiz) en 1814; y entre 1820 y 1823 (durante el Trienio Liberal).El Estamento de Próceres previsto en el Estatuto Real de 1834, que se reunió, de forma provisional, en el Casón del Buen Retiro, pasó a ocupar este edificio desde 1835. Con diversos cambios de nombre y función, según la coyuntura política, siguió sirviendo de sede de la Cámara alta hasta 1923 (cuando la dictadura de Primo de Rivera disolvió las Cortes). Durante la dictadura se instauró una cámara legislativa denominada Asamblea Nacional Consultiva, y no se convocó el Senado.

*Comunidad in moss trendy shop*
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
C/ San Onofre, 8
Madrid, Spain 28004

+34 91 529 62 72

*Comunidad in moss trendy shop* Espacio Activo dedicado a la moda femenina y masculina con firma propia de complemetos. *Sesiones Asesoramiento Trendy. *Sesiones Maquillaje Express. *Ventas Privadas.

Sala Búho Real
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Calle Regueros 5
Madrid, Spain 28004

91 308 48 51

Desde 1984 una de las salas más importantes de la música en directo de Madrid.

El Arquibar: La Traviesa de Conde Duque
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Travesia del Conde Duque, 5 (Metro Noviciado-Plaza España)
Madrid, Spain 28015

915598148