À la fois établissement scientifique et service public, tourné vers la recherche et la diffusion des connaissances, le Muséum assume 5 grandes missions fondatrices qui régissent et nourrissent l'ensemble de ses activités :
- Recherche fondamentale et appliquée ;
- Gestion et conservation des collections ;
- Enseignement et pédagogie ;
- Diffusion des connaissances ;
National Museum of Natural History (France)Distance: 1.0 miTourist Information Jardin des Plantes, 57, rue Cuvier, 75005 Paris Paris,
Le Muséum national d'histoire naturelle est un établissement français de recherche et de diffusion de la culture scientifique naturaliste. C'est l'un des premiers établissements mondiaux de ce type, avec le Natural History Museum de Londres. Il est doté du statut de grand établissement et placé sous tutelle conjointe des ministres de l'Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche et de l'Environnement. Son siège se trouve au jardin des Plantes mais il a d'autres sites à Paris et en France. Le Muséum dispose d'un personnel d'environ membres dont 450 chercheurs. Depuis la réforme de 2014, il est dirigé par un Président, assisté de directeurs-généraux délégués.Spécificité et établissements du MuséumLe Muséum national d'Histoire naturelle présente, en comparaison de ses homologues d'autres pays, une originalité qui en fait un cas unique car il n'est pas composé d'un seul site mais en comprend treize, dont la plupart sont multifonctionnels : ainsi son siège parisien n'est pas seulement un bâtiment, mais à la fois un jardin, botanique et zoologique, et un ensemble de plusieurs galeries scientifiques, de laboratoires et de serres. D'importants budgets sont nécessaires pour entretenir, faire fonctionner et rénover ces sites selon les normes actuelles (de sécurité et autres) : les entrées payantes ne suffisent pas à couvrir ces dépenses et certains ont dû être fermés pour cette raison ; tous n'ont pu être réhabilités et ainsi la galerie d'entomologie a même du être fermée en 1996.
Grande Galerie de l'Évolution du Muséum national d'Histoire naturelleDistance: 1.0 miTourist Information Jardin des Plantes - 36, rue Geoffroy Saint Hilaire 75005 Paris Paris, 75005 01 40 79 56 01
La Grande Galerie de l'èvolution fa parte del Muséum national d'histoire naturelle dal 1889. È situata nella parte nord del Jardin des Plantes nel V arrondissement di Parigi in Francia. Chiamata anticamente Galerie de Zoologie, la Grande Galerie diventa nel 1994 uno spazio espositivo permanente che mostra e mette in scena la diversità degli esseri viventi e l'evoluzione della vita attraverso una importante collezione di esemplari naturalizzati.Storia della GalleriaLa Galleria di zoologiaNel Muséum national d'histoire naturelle esisteva, lungo rue Geoffroy St-Hilaire, un Cabinet d'histoire naturelle che aveva rimpiazzato, agli inizi del XIX secolo, l'Antica galerie situata lungo rue Cuvier, il cui edificio è ancora visibile tra la sede della Societé des Amis du Museum, il ristorante della Balena e l'anfiteatro Roulle. Questo Cabinet non poteva più accogliere le collezioni che non cessavano di aumentare. Allora l'architetto Louis-Jules André con il sostegno del presidente Adolphe Thiers, costruì nel 1872 la Galerie di Zoologie per esporre tutte le collezioni zoologiche, circa un milione di esemplari. Nel luglio 1889, qualche mese dopo l'inaugurazione della Torre Eiffel, la Galeria de zoologie fu inaugurata e aperta al pubblico dal ministro Armand Fallières.
The Musée Zadkine is a museum dedicated to the work of sculptor Ossip Zadkine (1890–1967). It is located near the Jardin du Luxembourg in the 6th arrondissement at 100 bis, rue d'Assas, Paris, France, and open daily except Monday; an admission fee is only charged when an exhibition is on. The museum also contains a fine garden, with no charge for entry. The nearest métro and RER stations are Port-Royal and Vavin.The museum was established by Valentine Prax, Zadkine's wife, who willed their home and studio since 1928, plus his personal collection, to the City of Paris. The museum was inaugurated in 1982 following her death, and has subsequently augmented its collection by purchases. It now contains about 300 sculptures, as well as drawings, gouaches, photographs, and tapestries. Since 1995 the museum has also presented 3 to 4 exhibits of contemporary art each year.The Museum has been renovated in 2012 to ensure its accessibility to all visitors, it re-opened its doors for its thirtieth anniversary on the 10th of October 2012, the new museography was designed to more closely reflect the spirit of the workshop.Zadkine Museum is one of the 14 City of Paris' Museums that have been incorporated since January 1, 2013 in the public institution Paris Musées.
Galerie de paléontologie et d'anatomie comparéeDistance: 1.2 miTourist Information 2 rue Buffon Paris, 75005
The Galerie de paléontologie et d’anatomie comparée is a part of the French Muséum national d'histoire naturelle . It is situated in the Jardin des Plantes in Paris near the Gare d'Austerlitz.The Gallery was inaugurated in 1898 as part of l' Expositions universelles de Paris of 1900 and was the creation of professors Albert Gaudry and Georges Pouchet who wished to preserve and present to the public collections of great historic and scientific importance. The collections derive from the great expeditions of the traveller-naturalists of the 18th and 19th centuries as well as from the ménagerie' of the Jardin des Plantes.The Gallery of Paleontology presents a famous collection of fossil vertebrates and of invertebrates.The Gallery of Comparative Anatomy, holds nearly a thousand skeletons and interprets their organization and classification. The remarkable Gallery building, designed by the architect Ferdinand Dutert consists of two floors and its surface area is approximately 2,500 square meters. The largest gallery, made of stone and metal, is almost 80 meters long, the facades are decorated with sculptures inspired by naturalists and large windows afford abundant natural light.
The Musée Curie is a historical museum focusing on radiological research. It is located in the 5th arrondissement at 1, rue Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France, and open Wednesday to Saturday, from 1pm to 5pm; admission is free. The museum was renovated in 2012, thanks to a donation from Ève Curie.The museum was established in 1934, after Curie's death, on the ground floor of the Curie Pavilion of the Institut du Radium. It was formerly Marie Curie's laboratory, built 1911-1914, and where she performed research from 1914-1934. In this laboratory her daughter and son-in-law Irène and Frédéric Joliot-Curie discovered artificial radioactivity, for which they received the 1935 Nobel Prize for Chemistry.The museum contains a permanent historical exhibition on radioactivity and its applications, notably in medicine, focusing primarily on the Curies, and displays some of the most important research apparatus used before 1940. It also contains a center for historical resource which holds archives, photographs, and documentation on the Curies, Joliot-Curies, the Institut Curie, and the history of radioactivity and oncology.
Muzeul Luvru este cel mai mare muzeu de istorie și artă din Franța și unul dintre cele mai importante muzee din lume. Este situat în centrul capitalei franceze, Paris, între cheiul drept al Senei și strada Rivoli, în primul arondisment, într-o clădire istorică, fost palat regal, Palatul Luvru. Exponatele de artă franțuzești acoperă o largă parte din istoria Franței, de la Dinastia Capețienilor până în prezent.
Muzeu cu caracter universal, Luvrul posedă opere de artă din epoci diferite ale civilizației, din Antichitate până la 1848, și acoperă o arie geo-culturală întinsă, de la Europa occidentală, Grecia, Egipt până la Orientul Apropiat, o serie de capodopere fiind expuse în Pavilionul Sesiunilor al muzeului Luvru. Operele prezente la Luvru au o mare varietate, de la picturi, sculpturi, desene până la ceramică, obiecte arheologice sau alte obiecte de artă.
The Musée des Collections Historiques de la Préfecture de Police, also known as the Musée de la Préfecture de Police, is a museum of police history in the 5th arrondissement of Paris, France. It is located in the Hôtel de police at 4, rue de la Montagne-Sainte-Geneviève. The museum is open daily except Sunday; admission is free.The museum was originally started by prefect Louis Lépine (1846-1933) for the Exposition Universelle (1900), and has gradually grown through subsequent years. It now contains evidence, photographs, letters, memorabilia, and drawings that reflect major events in the history of France (including conspiracies and arrests), famous criminal cases and characters, prisons, and daily life in the capital such as traffic and hygiene. Exhibits include a guillotine, uniforms, the pistol used in the assassination of Paul Doumer, and relics of the World War II occupation including German machine guns and insignias worn by Jews.
L'Hôtel de Cluny, situé dans le V arrondissement de Paris (France), au cœur du Quartier latin, est dès le le lieu de résidence des abbés de l'ordre de Cluny enseignant au Collège de Cluny. À partir du, et jusqu'à la Révolution française, il abrite des nonces apostoliques ainsi que des particuliers. En 1843, l'État en fait un musée devenu aujourd'hui le Musée national du Moyen Âge, ou Musée de Cluny.Histoire de l'hôtelL'hôtel des Abbés de ClunyLes bâtiments accueillaient les abbés de l'ordre de Cluny en Bourgogne dès le. À la fin du, le bâtiment construit par Jean III de Bourbon et a été agrandi par Jacques d'Amboise, abbé de Cluny (1485-1510). Les armes d'Amboise, « trois pals alternés d'or et de gueules », ornent les lucarnes ouvragées de la façade ainsi que les gâbles des fenêtres hautes.L'hôtel accueille régulièrement les abbés de Cluny et certains dignitaires importants.La jeune Marie d'Angleterre y est enfermée pendant 40 jours en janvier 1515 pour s'assurer qu'elle ne porte pas d'héritier à la mort de son mari le roi Louis XII de France, ainsi la couronne passe à son cousin, le futur roi François . Le 3 mars 1515, Marie y épouse secrètement et sans le consentement de son frère le roi Henri VIII, son favori, Charles Brandon, duc de Suffolk.
The Musée Dupuytren was a museum of wax anatomical items and specimens illustrating diseases and malformations. It was located at the Cordeliers Convent building, 15, rue de l'Ecole de Médecine, Les Cordeliers, Paris, France, and is part of the Pierre and Marie Curie University (UPMC) School of Medicine. In 2016 the museum was closed and moved to the Jussieu Campus, joining 8 scientific collections of UPMC. The collections will be open to students and researchers, and will be open to the public for events.HistoryThe museum was established in 1835 by Mathieu Orfila as the Museum of Pathological Anatomy of the Medicine Faculty of the University of Paris, with the request of Baron Guillaume Dupuytren, anatomist and celebrated professor of surgery. The museum was installed in the old refectory of the Cordeliers Convent, gathering collections from throughout the faculty. Its first catalog was compiled between 1836 and 1842, and listed about a thousand specimens. By the late 1870s the museum contained over six thousand pieces.The museum began a slow decline starting in the late 19th century, despite continued acquisition of new collections, and its upkeep became problematic. In 1937 Gustave Roussy ordered the museum shut, with many items subsequently lost or destroyed. However in 1967 Jacques Delarue (1901–1971) brought the museum back to life with a general refurbishment. Today it still retains a superb collection, including specimens dating from the 17th century, as well as wax anatomical models, books, and photographs.
Musée National du Moyen ÂgeDistance: 0.4 miTourist Information 6 place Paul Painlevé Paris, 75005
Musée d’histoire de la médecineDistance: 0.4 miTourist Information 12 rue de l'École de Médecine Paris, 75006
The History of Medicine Museum in Paris, is located at the second floor of the Paris Descartes University, 12 rue de l'École de Médecine, in the buildings of the historic Faculty of Medicine, created in 1803 on the site of the old College and Academy of Surgery.The museum's collections, among the oldest in Europe, were started by the Dean Lafaye, a professor at the Faculty of Medicine in the 18th century. The collection was successively enriched with many donations.The core of the museum hosts an exceptional collection of surgical, diagnostic and physiological instrumentation spanning centuries. There are also paintings, engravings, and lithographs. Restored and open to the public, the museum's goal is higher education and research.
The Musée de la Magie, also known as the Musée de la Curiosité et de la Magie and the Académie de la Magie, is a private museum located in the 4th arrondissement at 11, rue saint Paul, Paris, France. It is open several afternoons per week; an admission fee is charged.The museum occupies 16th-century cellars beneath the Marquis de Sade's house, and includes items relating to magic shows, including optical illusions, secret boxes, wind-up toys, magic mirrors, see-through glasses, posters, etc. It also provides magic shows. The museum is collocated with the Musée des Automates, which contains more than 100 historical and contemporary automata."The Museum of Magic is at 11 Rue Saint Paul in the 4th arrondissement. Nearest metro: St. Paul or Sully Morland."
The Conciergerie is a building in Paris, France, located on the west of the Île de la Cité (literally "Island of the City"), formerly a prison but presently used mostly for law courts. It was part of the former royal palace, the Palais de la Cité, which consisted of the Conciergerie, Palais de Justice and the Sainte-Chapelle. Hundreds of prisoners during the French Revolution were taken from the Conciergerie to be executed by guillotine at a number of locations around Paris.The Middle AgesThe west part of the island was originally the site of a Merovingian palace, and was known initially as the Palais de la Cité. From the 10th to the 14th centuries it was the main palace of the medieval Kings of France. During the reigns of Louis IX (Saint Louis) (1214–1270) and Philippe IV (Philip the Fair) (1284–1314) the Merovingian palace was extended and fortified more extensively.Louis IX added the Sainte-Chapelle and associated galleries, while Philippe IV created the towered facade on the Seine river side and a large hall. Both are excellent examples of French religious and secular architecture of the period. The Sainte-Chapelle was built in the French royal style to house the crown of thorns that was brought back from the Crusades and to serve as a royal chapel. The "Grande Salle" (Great Hall) was one of the largest in Europe, and its lower story, known as "La Salle des Gens d'Armes" (The Hall of the Soldiers) survives at 64m long, 27.5m wide and 8.5m high. It was used as a dining room for the 2,000 staff members who worked in the palace. It was heated with four large fireplaces and lit by many windows, now blocked. It was also used for royal banquets and judicial proceedings. The neighboring Salle des Gardes was used as an antechamber to the Great Hall immediately above, where the king held his lit de justice (a session of parliament in the king's presence).
Pour sa cinquième exposition, le Crédit Municipal de Paris, ancien Mont-de-Piété, présente, à travers l’œil du caricaturiste Honoré Daumier (1808-1879), les différents délassements et attractions des Parisiens au XIXe siècle.
Six sections sont à découvrir. L’espace de la rue, incluant la Seine, occupe le centre de la salle. Depuis cet espace central, le visiteur est invité à découvrir différents lieux et types de loisirs, comme le théâtre, le Carnaval de Paris, les cafés et cafés-concerts, les Salons et Expositions Universelles, la campagne et ses activités aux abords de la capitale.
Parallèlement aux lithographies de Daumier, des éléments de réalité complètent l’exposition comme une enseigne de cabaret, des affiches de spectacles, des photos anciennes, des costumes et des accessoires. Une plongée au cœur du Paris du XIXe siècle vous attend!
Les sites de Paris et Pierrefitte-sur-Seine sont ouverts du lundi au samedi de 9h à 16h45
Les Archives nationales conservent les archives des services de l’État depuis le Moyen Age, ainsi que le minutier central des notaires de Paris et de nombreux fonds d'origine privée.
Les Archives nationales dépendent du ministère de la Culture et de la Communication. Depuis le 1er janvier 2007, elles constituent un service à compétence nationale sur trois sites (Paris, Fontainebleau et de Pierrefitte-sur-Seine). Certains fonds d'intérêt national sont conservés dans deux autres services : les Archives nationales d'outre-mer à Aix-en-Provence (archives des colonies) et les Archives nationales du monde du travail à Roubaix (archives privées d'entreprises et d'associations).
The Lycée Henri-IV is a public secondary school located in Paris. Along with Louis-le-Grand it is widely regarded as one of the most demanding sixth-form colleges in France.The school has more than 2,500 students from collège (the first four years of secondary education in France) to classes préparatoires (classes to prepare students for entrance to the elite grandes écoles such as École Polytechnique, Centrale Paris, ESSEC Business School or HEC Paris, among others).Its motto is "Domus Omnibus Una" ("A Home For All").Buildings and historyLycée Henri-IV is located in the former royal Abbey of St Genevieve, in the heart of the Latin Quarter on the left bank of the river Seine, near the Panthéon, the church Saint-Étienne-du-Mont, and the rue Mouffetard. Rich in history, architecture and culture, the Latin Quarter contains France's oldest and the most prestigious educational establishments: the École Normale Supérieure, the Sorbonne, the Collège de France and the Lycée Louis-le-Grand.
Restaurant Au Port Salut Distance: 0.7 miTourist Information 163 Rue Saint Jacques Paris, France 75005
Friends of Madame Symonne Torpy:
"I'm juggling millions and you're asking me to come up with a witty pun." - Tania Kumar
"I was into it until I realized I was "fergaliciousing" - Ford Leland
"Look at us. Just a pair of wit-chiseling, French-practicing gadabouts. The mischief we will cause!" - Andie Ryan
"Do you always wear something on your head? What does Freud have to say about that?" - Nathan Lyons
"I am the new Oscar Wilde. I doubt he would ever have ordered an omelette." - Symonne Torpy
"Any man who does not love you is either too gay or too straight. Either way they have big defects." - Joachim Iglesias
Pierre and Marie Curie University, also known as University of Paris VI, is a public research university and was established in 1971 following the division of the University of Paris, and is a principal heir to Faculty of Sciences of the Sorbonne, although it can trace its roots back to 1109 and the Abbey of St Victor.The university is located on the Jussieu Campus in the Latin Quarter of the 5th arrondissement of Paris, France. The French cultural revolution of 1968, commonly known as "the French May", resulted in the division of the world's second oldest academic institution, the University of Paris, into thirteen autonomous universities.UPMC is the largest scientific and medical complex in France, active in many fields of research with scope and achievements at the highest level, as demonstrated by the many awards regularly won by UPMC researchers, and the many international partnerships it maintains across all five continents. Several university rankings have regularly put UPMC at the 1st place in France, and it has been ranked as one of the top universities in the world. The ARWU has ranked UPMC as the 1st in France, 6th in Europe and 35th in the world and also 4th in field of mathematics, 25th in field of physics, 14th in field of natural sciences and 32nd in field of engineering, technology and computer science.It has more than 125 laboratories, most of them in association with the Centre national de la recherche scientifique . Some of its most notable institutes and laboratories include the Institut Henri Poincaré, Institut d'astrophysique de Paris, Laboratoire d'informatique de Paris 6, Institut de mathématiques de Jussieu and the Laboratoire Kastler-Brossel .