EuroZoid
Discover The Most Popular Places In Europe

Stanley Park, Blackpool, Blackpool | Tourist Information


West Park Drive
Blackpool, United Kingdom FY3 9


Stanley Park is a public park in the town of Blackpool on the Fylde coast in Lancashire, England. It is the town's primary park and covers an area of approximately 104ha. The park was designed to include significant sporting provisions, along with formal gardens, a boating lake and woodland area. It was designed and built in the 1920s, under the eye of Thomas Mawson.It is located in the Great Marton and Layton areas of the town. It is Grade II* listed and is on the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens of special historic interest in England.The park's largest gardens feature a fountain built with Italian marble and a number of statues including a pair of Medici Lions. The Italian gardens are overlooked by a cafe, designed by Mawson and built in a traditional Art Deco style, and include steps down to the boating lake. Surrounding the boating lake is a woodland area, including a protected area for wildlife. On one side of the lake is an amphitheatre surrounding a bandstand, also designed by Mawson.Towards the centre of the park there is a crossroads with a clock tower, dedicated to William Cocker. It is close to the large children's play area, the tennis courts, all-weather pitches, BMX track, skate park and general grassy areas. Within the Stanley Park grounds stands a 5000-seat cricket ground, an 18-hole golf course designed by Alister MacKenzie, a sports centre, athletics ground and a model village attraction.

Landmark Near Stanley Park, Blackpool

Blackpool Steam and Vintage Vehicle Rally
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
M55 South Car Park
Blackpool, FY1 6BF

Blackpool Steam & Vintage Vehicle Rally 4th & 5th October 2014, South Car Park, South Shore, Blackpool. Collection of Vintage Steam & Classic Vehicles, Trade Stands, Auto Jumble, Traditional Funfair, Craft Tent, Model Tent, Beer Tent a complete family day out ...

Bloomfield Road, home of Blackpool F.C.
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
Bloomfield Road
Blackpool, FY1 6

Blackpool Central Mosque
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
2 Revoe St
Blackpool, FY1 5

1253-291967

Blackpool Central Mosque and Islamic Community Centre is a Sunni mosque in Blackpool, Lancashire, England.HistoryThe mosque was originally housed in a building on Rigby Road, before moving to its own purpose-built building on Revoe Street. In January 2005 the mosque won a heritage award from Blackpool Civic Trust.The current Imam is Maulana Ashfaq Patel, who is also the Muslim chaplain at Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre hospitals. The mosque is a member of the Blackpool Area Faith Forum.FacilitiesThe mosque houses a 500-person-capacity main prayer hall, a daily prayer hall, a ladies prayer room and 7 classrooms.Blackpool Islamic Community CentreThe Blackpool Islamic Community Centre runs classes, seminars and events for Muslims and non-Muslims.

Blackpool Central Mosque
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
2 Revoe St
Blackpool, FY1 5

1253-291967

Blackpool Central Mosque and Islamic Community Centre is a Sunni mosque in Blackpool, Lancashire, England.HistoryThe mosque was originally housed in a building on Rigby Road, before moving to its own purpose-built building on Revoe Street. In January 2005 the mosque won a heritage award from Blackpool Civic Trust.The current Imam is Maulana Ashfaq Patel, who is also the Muslim chaplain at Blackpool, Fylde and Wyre hospitals. The mosque is a member of the Blackpool Area Faith Forum.FacilitiesThe mosque houses a 500-person-capacity main prayer hall, a daily prayer hall, a ladies prayer room and 7 classrooms.Blackpool Islamic Community CentreThe Blackpool Islamic Community Centre runs classes, seminars and events for Muslims and non-Muslims.

Devonshire Primary Academy
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Devonshire Road
Blackpool, FY3 8

+44 (0) 1253 478271

Devonshire Primary Academy is a coeducational primary school with academy status, located in the Layton are of Blackpool, Lancashire, England.This school is located on Devonshire Road halfway between the residential area of Layton, and Blackpool town centre. It was formerly known as Devonshire Road Junior School and then Devonshire Primary School before being renamed in 2013.Devonshire Road Junior SchoolThe original school on the site, Devonshire Road Junior School was built in the 19th century. On 23 August 2003 the school suffered an arson attack causing £7m worth of damage. Over fifty firefighters fought the blaze which caused extensive damage to the school building. Pupils were forced to re-locate to Boundary School, two miles away. The building was eventually demolished and rebuilt as a modern, state-of-the-art school. Some bricks from the original school building were salvaged and eventually sold off to raise money for a school project.Blackpool Council spent £7M building the new school which opened, three years after the original school was demolished, on 6 September 2006. The school was renamed Devonshire Primary School, and was designed around a beehive concept with classrooms and play decks on the same level, with a commitment to sustainability. The building houses a roof garden with a pond and weather station on the second floor which is used for outdoor science and environmental studies. At the centre of the building is a "flexible social area" used for dining and pupil interaction. Each level also has south facing play decks with sheltered play areas. The school building also contains two rooms for use by local community groups with the Multi-Use Games Area (MUGA) providing a sports area for children and adults.

St Mary's Catholic Academy
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Saint Walburga's Road
Blackpool, FY3 7

01253396286

St Mary's Catholic Academy is a school in Layton, Blackpool, Lancashire. The school was involved with the Building Schools for the Future scheme and, despite the scheme being cancelled, it was announced in August 2010 that for this school it would go ahead.With more than 1800 pupils, it is the largest Roman Catholic secondary school in Lancashire. The school is on the site of the former Convent of the Holy Child Jesus, on St. Walburga's Road near to Blackpool Victoria Hospital.School historyThe Society of the Holy Child Jesus (SHCJ) is a Catholic religious order for women which was founded in England in 1846. It follows the rules of the Society of Jesus (the Jesuit order for men). In 1856, Alexander Goss, the Roman Catholic Bishop of Liverpool (in which Diocese Blackpool then was) invited the sisters of the Society of the Holy Child Jesus to send out a branch from their house in Liverpool to teach in Father Bampton's Poor School on Talbot Road, Blackpool and they had arrived with 12 girl boarders. With accommodation in Queen's Square acquired for themselves and for the girls, the school flourished. It was run by a man.After four years of such success, Bishop Goss agreed that the sisters could be rather more adventurous than their original mandate. So, in 1860, the original St Mary's was founded as a school for girls. This original school was located in a building called Raikes Hall in Raikes Parade, Blackpool. It is now a pub called the Raikes Hotel. Success was marked by rapid growth and in 1870 St Mary's moved to the site which the sisters already owned at Layton Hill where were located the original premises, much of which are still extant and form part of the modern school.