St. Peter's Square is a large plaza located directly in front of St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican City, the papal enclave inside Rome, directly west of the neighbourhood or rione of Borgo.At the centre of the square is an Egyptian obelisk, erected at the current site in 1586. Gian Lorenzo Bernini designed the square almost 100 years later, including the massive Tuscan colonnades, four columns deep, which embrace visitors in "the maternal arms of Mother Church". A granite fountain constructed by Bernini in 1675 matches another fountain designed by Carlo Maderno in 1613.HistoryThe open space which lies before the basilica was redesigned by Gian Lorenzo Bernini from 1656 to 1667, under the direction of Pope Alexander VII, as an appropriate forecourt, designed "so that the greatest number of people could see the Pope give his blessing, either from the middle of the façade of the church or from a window in the Vatican Palace" (Norwich 1975 p 175). Bernini had been working on the interior of St. Peter's for decades; now he gave order to the space with his renowned colonnades, using the Tuscan form of Doric, the simplest order in the classical vocabulary, not to compete with the palace-like façade by Carlo Maderno, but he employed it on an unprecedented colossal scale to suit the space and evoke a sense of awe.
Catholic Church Near St. Peter's Square
Santa Maria del Priorato ChurchDistance: 1.7 miTourist Information Piazza dei Cavalieri di Malta, 4 Rome, 00153
The Church of St. Mary of the Priory (Chiesa di Santa Maria del Priorato), can also be known by its previous name of St. Mary on the Aventine (Santa Maria in Aventino). It is the monastery church of the Priory of the Knights of Malta on the Aventine Hill in Rome, and is dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary.The original church was built in 939, when Odo of Cluny was given the Roman palace of Alberic II of Spoleto, which was then converted into a Cluniac Benedictine monastery. When the monastery was dissolved in the 14th-century, the site was acquired by the Knights of Malta, and, under them, the church was rebuilt in the 1550s.In 1760, the papal nephew and Grand Prior of the Knights, Cardinal Giambattista Rezzonico, sought to improve the appearance of the buildings. On a limited budget, the church was substantially renovated between 1764-66 according to the designs of Giovanni Battista Piranesi, who also built the piazza in front of the church, the Piazza dei Cavaliere di Malta. The fairly low wall around the piazza is articulated by panels with paired obelisks with stelae positioned in between them.
San Francesco a Ripa is a church in Rome, Italy. It is dedicated to Francis of Assisi because the adjacent convent accommodated him, while the term Ripa refers to the nearby river-edge of the Tiber.HistoryThe origins of this church are related to Franciscan convent existing in the Trastevere quarter of Rome since the 12th centuries. This had an annexed 1231 church dedicated to Saint Blaise (San Biagio). This church was decorated with the (now lost) St Francis cycle by Pietro Cavallini. This cycle probably served as prototype for the famous Legend of St Francis frescoes, ascribed to Giotto di Bondone, in the Upper Basilica of St Francis in Assisi. The construction of the present church was begun in 1603 by Onorio Longhi, starting from the apse. The facade was finished in 1681-1701 with design by Mattia de Rossi. From 1873 to 1943 the church was used as barracks by the Bersaglieri.
Santa Maria dell'Orto is a Roman Catholic church in the Rione of Trastevere in Rome (Italy). It is the national church of Japan in Rome.HistoryThe church rises in the middle of the area that, since about 508 BC, was called Prata Mutia . This refers to the plot of land where the Etruscan king Porsena had set his encampment, and that later the Roman Senate donated to Mucius Scaevola as a sign of gratitude of Rome for his heroic act. The origins of the church are associated to a miracle, that is supposed to have happened circa 1488. A sick farmer, afflicted with a serious palsy according to oral history, was healed after praying a picture of the Virgin Mary painted close to the entrance to his own market garden. The event led to popular worship for the picture, and subsequently a small votive chapel was erected, soon followed by a greater church, funded by 12 professional associations . In 1492 Pope Alexander VI allowed the establishment of a confraternity and in 1588 Pope Sixtus V declared it "Archconfraternity" and bestowed on it the rare privilege to ask once a year – during the titular feast – the pardon of a man condemned to death. During the 1825 Jubilee, as attested by Gaetano Moroni in his Dictionary of historic-ecclesiastical erudition, it was eventually honored with the title of Venerable.
Santa Cecilia in TrastevereDistance: 1.4 miTourist Information 22 Piazza di Santa Cecilia Rome, 00153
Santa Cecilia in Trastevere is a 5th-century church in Rome, Italy, in the Trastevere rione, devoted to the Roman martyr Saint Cecilia.
Santa Maria della Luce, RomeDistance: 1.3 miTourist Information Via Della Lungaretta 22 A Rome, 00153
The church of Santa Maria della Luce is an ancient church in the Rione of Trastevere in Rome, Italy.The church was originally known as San Salvatore in Corte. That church was founded by Saint Bonosa in the 4th century at the site of the excubitorium or barracks of the "cohort VII Brigade". The church was rebuilt in the 12th century, together with bell-tower, which is still preserved. In 1595, the church was placed under the jurisdiction of the nearby Basilica of San Crisogono. In 1728, a Pope Benedict XIII assigned the church to the Minims, an order established by St. Francis of Paola.The current name of the church dates from 1730, when a series of miracles were linked to an icon painted on the exterior of a nearby house nearby, which was seen to emit light. The image was then transferred to the Church, and changed name. The church interior underwent reconstruction by architect Gabriele Valvassori, though the facade remained unfinished. The apse, even after Baroque restoration, still shows signs of the original Romanesque architecture. The apse is frescoed with The Eternal Father by Stefano Conca.The chapel of St Joseph on the right has an altarpiece depicting the Death of St Joseph (1754) by Giovanni Conso (painter). The chapel of St Francis of Paola is on the left, and has an altarpiece depicting Saints Francis de Sales and John of Valois by Stefano Conca. The chapel on the right dedicated to Saints Joachim and Anne has an altarpiece depicting the Family of the Virgin (1753) by Pietro Labruzzi. Other chapels have modern artworks mostly showing Latin American devotions. There is also an painting by Onofrio Avellino depicting Miracle of St Francis of Paola walking across the Straits of Messina(1700).
De San Carlo ai Catinari is een kerk in Rome, gelegen aan het Piazza Benedetto Cairoli, in de buurt van het Piazza Campo dei Fiori. De kerk, gediend door de Congregatie der Barnabieten, is gewijd aan de heilige Carolus Borromeus .GeschiedenisDe San Carlo ai Catinari is gebouwd tussen 1636 en 1638, in de periode van de Contrareformatie, in opdracht van de Milanese gemeenschap in Rome, die met deze kerk de in 1610 heilig verklaarde bisschop eerden. De kerk werd op 19 maart 1722 gewijd door Lorenzo Corsini, de latere paus Clemens XII.De kerk is gerestaureerd in de negentiende eeuw, en nogmaals in 1915, na beschadiging door een aardbeving.InterieurDe kerk heeft de vorm van een Grieks kruis. De koepel met cassettenplafond, de grootste van Rome na die van de Sint-Pietersbasiliek en de Sant'Andrea della Valle, is ontworpen door Rosato Rosati.
Sant'Andrea della Valle is a basilica church in the rione of Sant'Eustachio of the city of Rome, Italy. The basilica is the general seat for the religious order of the Theatines. It is located on Piazza Vidoni at the intersection of Corso Vittorio Emanuele (facing facade) and Corso Rinascimento.OverviewA church was initially planned when Donna Costanza Piccolomini d'Aragona, duchess of Amalfi and descendant of the family of Pope Pius II, bequeathed her palace and the adjacent church of San Sebastiano in central Rome to the Theatine order for construction of a new church. Since Amalfi's patron was Saint Andrew, the church was planned in his honor. Work initially started around 1590 under the designs of Giacomo della Porta and Pier Paolo Olivieri, and under the patronage of Cardinal Gesualdo. With the previous patron's death, direction of the church passed to Cardinal Alessandro Peretti di Montalto, nephew of Pope Sixtus V. Work restarted by 1608, financed by what was then an enormous endowment of over 150,000 gold scudi, and with a more grandiose plan designed mainly by Carlo Maderno. The interior of the church was completed by 1650, with some changes added by Francesco Grimaldi.
Sant'Andrea della Valle is een basiliek te Rome, in de wijk Sant'Eustachio. Donna Costanza Piccolomini d'Aragona, gravin van Amalfi en afstammelinge van de familie van Paus Pius II, liet haar paleis en aangrenzende kerk van San Sebastiano in het centrum van Rome na aan de Theatijnen en gaf opdracht om een nieuwe kerk te bouwen. Gezien het feit dat de patroonheilige van de Amalfi's Andreas was, werd de kerk te zijner ere gebouwd. De bouw startte rond 1590 onder leiding van Giacomo della Porta en Pier Paolo Olivieri en met de steun van kardinaal Gesualdo. Na de dood van deze laatste, kwam de kerk onder bescherming te staan van kardinaal Alessandro Peretti di Montalto, neef van Paus Sixtus V. In 1608 kwam er een enorme gift van meer dan 150.000 gouden scudi. Onder leiding van Carlo Maderno kon de basiliek nu dus nog grootser worden afgewerkt. Het interieur werd uiteindelijk voltooid in 1650, onder andere door Francesco Grimaldi.
San Lorenzo in Damaso is a basilica church in central Rome, Italy. It is incorporated into the Palazzo della Cancelleria.HistoryArcheologic evidence suggests the site, like many loci for Roman churches, may have housed a pagan temple. The first documentary evidence of a church at this site is the reference in the synod of Pope Symmachus (499) of a Titulus Damasi. According to tradition, in the 380s a basilica church was built by Pope Damasus I in his own house. This church is one of many dedicated to the Roman deacon and martyr Saint Lawrence, including the more ancient and then extra-urban, San Lorenzo fuori le Mura, that was rebuilt by the same Pope Damasus. The original basilica for San Lorenzo in Damaso was demolished by Cardinal Raffaele Riario, a nephew of Pope Sixtus IV who commissioned the imposing Renaissance-style Palazzo della Cancelleria (1489–1513). The palace was built using spolia and stone from nearby Ancient Roman buildings, including the Colosseum and enveloped the new church of San Lorenzo under the right wing; the entrance is located at number 1, Piazza della Cancelleria, on the right flank of the facade.The architect of the church, like that of the palace, is unclear. The palace design has been attributed to Francesco di Giorgio Martini and Baccio Pontelli, while Titi suggests Bramante, and other authors had cited Giuliano da Sangallo and Andrea Bregno. reconstruction of the church is also independently attributed to Bramante by Titi.
The Church of Saint Gregory VII is a Roman Catholic parish church on the Via del Cottolengo in Rome dedicated to Saint Gregory VII. It was built by Mario Paniconi and Giulio Pediconi from 1960 to 1961, to serve a parish erected by Pope Pius XII in 1952. Its roof is held up by 10 concrete piers, and is structurally independent of the walls, which end before they reach the roof . It is a parish church, served by Franciscans; in the crypt is a depiction of the Life of St Francis of Assisi in an unusual stone inlay technique. San Gregorio VII has been a titular church since 1969. The current Cardinal Priest of the Titulus Chiesa di San Gregorio VII is Moran Mor Baselios Cardinal Cleemis Catholicos, the Major Archbishop of Trivandrum.Cardinal priests of San Gregorio VIIEugênio de Araújo Sales (1969–2012)Baselios Cleemis Thottunkal (since 2012)
Sant'Ivo alla SapienzaDistance: 0.9 miTourist Information Corso del Rinascimento 40 Rome, 00186
Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza is a Roman Catholic church in Rome. Built in 1642-1660 by the architect Francesco Borromini, the church is a masterpiece of Roman Baroque architecture.The church is at the rear of a courtyard at 40, Corso del Rinascimento; the complex is now used by the Archives of the City of Rome.HistoryIn the 14th century, there was a chapel here for the palace of the University of Rome. The University is called La Sapienza, and the church was dedicated to Saint Yves (patron saint of jurists). When a design was commissioned from Borromini in the 17th century, he adapted to the already existing palazzo. He choose a plan resembling a star of David - which would have been recognized at the time as a Star of Solomon, symbolizing wisdom - and merged a curved facade of the church with the courtyard of the palace. The corkscrew lantern of the dome was novel. The complex rhythms of the interior have a dazzling geometry to them.The main artwork of the interior is the altarpiece by Pietro da Cortona, portraying St. Yves.ExteriorThe church rises at the end of a courtyard, known as the courtyard of Giacomo della Porta. The façade is concave, molding the church into the courtyard as if completing it rather than disrupting it. The façade itself looks like a continuation of the courtyard arches except with the openings filled in with small windows, a door, and a larger glass window above the door. Above the façade is a large parapet structure so that only the higher stages of the church is seen past the façade. A key exterior aspect is the top of the church: the lantern of Sant'Ivo is topped with a spiral shape, surmounted by a Cross.
Pantheon, RomeDistance: 1.0 miTourist Information Piazza della Rotonda 00186 Rome, Italy San Cesareo, 00186
The Pantheon is a former Roman temple, now a church, in Rome, Italy, on the site of an earlier temple commissioned by Marcus Agrippa during the reign of Augustus (27 BC – 14 AD). The present building was completed by the emperor Hadrian and probably dedicated about 126 AD. He retained Agrippa's original inscription, which has confused its date of construction.The building is circular with a portico of large granite Corinthian columns (eight in the first rank and two groups of four behind) under a pediment. A rectangular vestibule links the porch to the rotunda, which is under a coffered concrete dome, with a central opening (oculus) to the sky. Almost two thousand years after it was built, the Pantheon's dome is still the world's largest unreinforced concrete dome. The height to the oculus and the diameter of the interior circle are the same, 43.3metres.It is one of the best-preserved of all Ancient Roman buildings, in large part because it has been in continuous use throughout its history, and since the 7th century, the Pantheon has been used as a church dedicated to "St. Mary and the Martyrs" (Santa Maria ad Martyres) but informally known as "Santa Maria Rotonda". The square in front of the Pantheon is called Piazza della Rotonda. The Pantheon is a state property, ruled by Italy's Ministry of Cultural Heritage and Activities and Tourism through the Polo Museale del Lazio; in 2013 it was visited by over 6 million people.
Sant'Eustachio is a Roman Catholic titular church and minor basilica in Rome, named for the martyr Saint Eustace. It is located on Via di Sant'Eustachio in the rione Sant'Eustachio, a block west of the Pantheon and via della Rotonda, and a block east of Sant'Ivo alla Sapienza and the Via della Dogana Vecchia.
Sant'Agnese in Agone is a 17th-century Baroque church in Rome, Italy. It faces onto the Piazza Navona, one of the main urban spaces in the historic centre of the city and the site where the Early Christian Saint Agnes was martyred in the ancient Stadium of Domitian. Construction began in 1652 under the architects Girolamo Rainaldi and his son Carlo Rainaldi. After numerous quarrels, the other main architect involved was Francesco Borromini.The church is a titular deaconry, with Gerhard Ludwig Müller being the current Cardinal-Deacon.HistoryThe building of the church was begun in 1652 at the instigation of Pope Innocent X whose family palace, the Palazzo Pamphili, is adjacent to this church. The church was to be effectively a family chapel annexed to their residence (for example, an opening was formed in the drum of the dome so the family could participate in the religious services from their palace).The first designs for a centralised Greek Cross church were prepared by the Pamphili family architect, Girolamo Rainaldi, and his son Carlo Rainaldi in 1652. They reorientated the main entrance to the church from the Via Santa Maria dell’Anima, a street set one urban block away from the piazza, to the Piazza Navona, a large urban space that Innocent was transforming into a showcase associated with his family. It had been the intention to build the new church over the old church which would become the crypt; this meant the new church was to be raised well above piazza level, but this idea was abandoned once construction started. The original drawings are lost but it is thought that the Piazza Navona facade design included a narthex between two towers and broad stairs descending to the piazza.
San Luigi dei FrancesiDistance: 0.9 miTourist Information Piazza di San Luigi de' Francesi, 21 Rome, 00186
The Church of St. Louis of the French (San Luigi dei Francesi, Saint Louis des Français, S. Ludovici Francorum de Urbe) is a Roman Catholic church in Rome, not far from Piazza Navona. The church is dedicated to the Virgin Mary, to St. Denis the Areopagite and St. Louis IX, king of France. The church was designed by Giacomo della Porta and built by Domenico Fontana between 1518 and 1589, and completed through the personal intervention of Catherine de' Medici, who donated to it some property in the area. It is the national church in Rome of France. It is a titular church. The current Cardinal-Priest of the Titulus S. Ludovici Francorum de Urbe is André Vingt-Trois, Archbishop of Paris.
The Church of Saint Nicholas of the Lorrainers is a Roman Catholic church dedicated to Saint Nicholas and the apostle Saint Andrew. It is one of the national churches in Rome dedicated to France . Given to the Lorrainers by Pope Gregory XV in 1622, the pre-existing church of St. Nicholas was redesigned by Lorrainer architect François Desjardins, in 1632.The church was thoroughly renovated in 2006 and entitled to the Community of Saint John.InteriorThe architecture of the interior is characterized by a quite sober but evident barroque style with decorative effects based on the use of white and pink marbles.Many frescoes and paintings by Lorrainer painters of the XVII and XVIII centuries also decorate the interior. In particular, two works by Nicolas de Bar: "Saint Catherine" and "The Visitation".In 1731, Corrado Giaquinto was commissioned to execute the frescoes: "Saint Nicholas water gush from cliff", "The three Theologic Virtues", "The three Cardinal Virtues" and in the cupola "The Paradise".The French painter Nicolas Mellin is buried in San Nicola.
Santa Maria della Pace is a church in Rome, central Italy, not far from Piazza Navona. The building lies in rione Ponte.HistoryThe current building was built on the foundations of the pre-existing church of Sant'Andrea de Aquarizariis in 1482, commissioned by Pope Sixtus IV. The church was rededicated to the Virgin Mary to remember a miraculous bleeding of a Madonna image there in 1480. The author of the original design is not known, though Baccio Pontelli has been proposed.In 1656 - 67 Pope Alexander VII had the edifice restored by Pietro da Cortona, who also added the famous Baroque façade projecting from its concave wings: this, devised to simulate a theatrical set, has two orders and is entered by a semi-circular pronaos with paired Tuscan columns. The church presses forward almost to fill its tiny piazza; several houses had to be demolished by Pietro da Cortona to create even this miniature trapezoidal space. This newly formed piazza, focussed on the church facade even in its architectural detailing, had the additional benefits of facilitating the turning of coaches which had become so fashionable with the Roman nobility of the time and creating an ingenious unified ensemble of the church in its urban setting. The play of concave and convex forms at varying scales in and around the predominant main facade masks the neighbouring buildings, extends the apparent breadth of the facade and so increases the visual impact on the spectator physically confined by the small trapezoidal piazza. The monumental effect of the plasticity of forms, spatial layering and chiarascuro lighting effects belies the actual scale of this urban intervention.
Santa Maria dell'AnimaDistance: 0.8 miTourist Information via Santa Maria dell'Anima 64 Rome, 00186
Santa Maria dell'Anima is a Roman Catholic church in central Rome, Italy, just west of the Piazza Navona and near the Santa Maria della Pace church. It was founded during the course of the 14th century by Dutch merchants, who at that time belonged to the Holy Roman Empire. In the course of the 15th century, it became the national church of the whole Holy Roman Empire in Rome and henceforth the national church of Germany and hospice of German-speaking people in Rome.According to tradition, the church received its name, from the picture of Our Lady which forms its coat of arms . Among the artworks housed inside is the Holy Family by Giulio Romano. It is the resting place of the Dutch Pope Adrian VI as well as of Cardinals William of Enckenvoirt and Andrew of Austria.History14th and 15th centurySanta Maria dell'Anima is one of the many medieval charity institutions built for pilgrims in Rome. The church found its origin in 1350, when Johannes (Jan) and Katharina Peters of Dordrecht bought three houses and turned it into a private hospice for pilgrims, at the occasion of the Jubilee of 1350. Jan Peters may have been a Dutch merchant or papal soldier; Dordrecht belonged to a region which later became independent as the Netherlands. They named the hospice "Beatae Mariae Animarum" ("Saint Mary of the Souls"). It was erected on its present site in 1386. In the 15th century Santa Maria dell'Anima expanded to be a hostel for visitors from the entire Holy Roman Empire, though initially the occupants were primarily from the Low Countries and (from the middle 15th century) the Rhineland.
The Santa Maria Maddalena is a Roman Catholic church in Rome, named after Saint Mary Magdalene. It is located on the Via della Maddalena, one of the streets leading from the Piazza della Rotonda in the Campo Marzio area of historic Rome.HistoryThe Clerks Regular, Ministers to the Sick (Ministri degli Infirmi), order established by Saint Camillus de Lellis, had a church at that location in Rome since 1586 and in the 17th century started the construction of the current church, which was completed in 1699 in the Baroque style.In seventy years of work several architects were involved including Carlo Quadri, Carlo Fontana (who is thought to have designed the dome) and Giovanni Antonio de Rossi. It is uncertain who designed the curved main facade, which was finished circa 1735 and is Rococo, an unusual style in Roman church facades. It also displays motifs reminiscent of Borromini. Early guide books credit Giuseppe Sardi with the its design. Between 1732 and 1734, however, as architect of the order, the Portuguese architect Manuel Rodrigues dos Santos directed the completion of works at the church. The historian Alessandra Marino believes that it is to Dos Santos, rather than Giuseppe Sardi, that the design for the highly unusual façade decoration should be attributed. The architectural historian Nina Mallory has also maintained that Sardi is unlikely to be the designer of the façade.
Paul VI Audience HallDistance: 0.2 miTourist Information Via Teutonica, 00120 Città del Vaticano Rome,
The Paul VI Audience Hall is a building in Rome named for Pope with a seating capacity of 6,300, designed in reinforced concrete by the Italian architect Pier Luigi Nervi and completed in 1971. It lies partially in the Vatican City but mostly in Italy: the Italian part of the building is treated as an extraterritorial area of the Holy See and is used by the Pope as an alternative to Saint Peter's Square when conducting his Wednesday morning General Audience. It is dominated by an 800-quintal bronze/copper-alloy sculpture by Pericle Fazzini entitled . A smaller meeting hall, known as Synod Hall, is located in the building as well. This hall sits at the east end on a second floor.Solar roofOn 25 May 2007, it was revealed that the roof of the building was to be covered with 2,400 photovoltaic panels, generating sufficient electricity to supply all the heating, cooling and lighting needs of the building throughout the year. The system was donated by SolarWorld, a German manufacturer, and valued at $1.5 million. It was officially placed into service on 26 November 2008, and was awarded the 2008 European Solar Prize in the category for "Solar architecture and urban development".
La Pontificia Università della Santa Croce nasce dal desiderio di San Josemaría Escrivá, Fondatore dell’Opus Dei, di far nascere a Roma un centro superiore di studi ecclesiastici al servizio di tutta la Chiesa. Con la sua orazione e il suo paziente lavoro gettò le fondamenta dell’attuale Università della Santa Croce.
Sant'Agostino es una iglesia en Roma, ubicada en proximidades de la plaza Navona. Es una de las primeras iglesias romanas construidas durante el Renacimiento. La construcción fue fundada por Guillaume d'Estouteville, arzobispo de Ruan y canciller papal. La fachada se construyó en 1483 por Giacomo di Pietrasanta, usando mármol cogido del Coliseo.La obra de arte más famosa alojada en la iglesia es la Virgen de Loreto de Caravaggio. La iglesia contiene también un lienzo de Guercino representando a los Santos Agustín, Juan Evangelista y Jerónimo; un fresco del Profeta Isaías de Rafael; y las estatuas de la Virgen con Niño, de Andrea Sansovino y de la Virgen del Parto obra de su alumno, Jacopo Sansovino. Esta segunda estatua se considera tradicionalmente como fuente de milagros. Según una leyenda, se hizo adaptando una antigua estatua de Agripina sosteniendo a Nerón en sus brazos. A principios de su carrera, el artista del siglo XVII, Giovanni Lanfranco, pintó al fresco el techo de la Capilla Buongiovanni en el transepto izquierdo con una Asunción. También conserva una escultura de Melchiorre Cafà de Santo Tomás de Villanova distribuyendo limosna, acabada por su mentor, Ercole Ferrata. Pietro Bracci también diseñó y esculpió la tumba policromada del cardenal Giuseppe Renato Imperiali (1741).
Roma San Pietro railway station Distance: 0.4 miTourist Information SAN PIETRO Rome, Italy 00165
Roma San Pietro railway station is a major station serving the city and comune of Rome, Italy. Opened in 1894, the station forms part of the Pisa–Livorno–Rome railway and the Rome–Capranica–Viterbo railway. It is also the junction for the short, single track Rome–Vatican City railway, which crosses into Vatican City after passing over a viaduct.The station is currently managed by Rete Ferroviaria Italiana . Train services are operated by Trenitalia. Each of these companies is a subsidiary of Ferrovie dello Stato, Italy's state-owned rail company.LocationRoma San Pietro railway station is situated at Piazza della Stazione di San Pietro, west of the city centre, and a short distance to the south of Vatican City; the station owes its name to its proximity to St. Peter's Basilica in the Vatican (just 300m away).HistoryOpened along the line to Viterbo on 29 April 1894, the station, before structural changes to its "country station" features, was one of the favourite locations of the world of cinema. Many of the greatest actors and directors shot a scene in the station or in the forecourt, including Totò, Sordi, Virna Lisi, Buzzanca and many others extending back to the black and white era of film.
via degli orti d'alibert 27 Distance: 0.5 miTourist Information Via degli Orti d'Alibert Rome, Italy 00165