Pancras Road London, United Kingdom NW1 1UL 020 7424 0724
St Pancras Old Church is a Church of England parish church in Somers Town, central London. It is dedicated to the Roman martyr Saint Pancras, and is believed by many to be one of the oldest sites of Christian worship in England. The church is situated on Pancras Road in the London Borough of Camden, with the surrounding area and its international railway station taking its name. St Pancras Old Church, which was largely rebuilt in the Victorian era, should not be confused with St Pancras New Church about a kilometre away, on the Euston Road.HistoryParishOriginally, the parish of St Pancras stretched from close to Oxford Street almost to Highgate. In the early Middle Ages there was a centre of population in the vicinity of what is now known as the old church. However, in the 14th century the population abandoned the site and moved to what is now Kentish Town. The reasons for this were probably the vulnerability of the plain around the church to flooding (the River Fleet, which is now underground, runs through it) and the availability of better wells at Kentish Town, where there is less clay in the soil. The church subsequently fell into disrepair. Towards the end of the 18th century, services were only held in the church on one Sunday each month; on other weeks, the same congregation would use a chapel in Kentish Town. It lost its status as the parish church when the New Church on what was to become the Euston Road was consecrated in 1822, and became a chapel of ease.
We express our mission of Christian hospitality by being open for prayer and quiet throughout the week, by offering hospitality to all who join our worship and by hosting community events and support groups. We also have unique historic spaces available for hire as concert, performance and meeting venues.
In an age when many are looking for a disciplined way of spirituality and a more meditative style of worship, St Giles has much to offer. Through preaching and study we aim to present ancient Christian insight for a modern world, so that we may grow in faith and understanding. And for those times when we just need to talk and be heard, here too we can offer time to listen and a heart to reassure. You will find our congregation welcoming, supportive and friendly.
Service details are available here: http://stgilesonline.org/2013/01/11/worship/
All Saints Margaret Street (Church of England) has been serving God and people in the heart of London for 150 years. Renowned for its Anglo-Catholic liturgy and rich tradition of choral worship, All Saints draws worshippers from all over the world. The beautifully ornate Grade I listed building is regarded as one of the foremost examples of Victorian Gothic Revival architecture in Britain.
Whether you are a regular worshipper or a curious visitor, we look forward to welcoming you. Visit our website for information about our services.
Welcome to St George's!
Love contemporary worship? Want to explore what faith in Jesus looks and feels like? Looking for somewhere to grow in confidence and vision for your life? Want to be part of a serious effort to bring hope and transformation to a particular area of London? Come along at 10.30am or 5.00pm on Sunday to find out more.
St Mary's Church is a Church of England church behind Euston station in Somers Town, London Borough of Camden.HistoryIt was designed by Henry William Inwood as a chapel of ease for St Pancras Old Church (which resumed being a parish in its own right in 1852) and built between 1824 and 1827 by I. T. Seabrook. A Parliamentary grant paid for the construction, though local taxation funded the purchases of the chapel's interior decoration and the site itself. It was consecrated on 11th Mary 1826 and soon afterwards it became famous for converting several local people from Roman Catholicism there.Early on, the chapel was known as "Mr. Judkin's Chapel" or "Seymour Street Chapel" and was attended during his schooldays by Charles Dickens, who was then living nearby with his family at 13 Cranleigh Street. Augustus Pugin satirised the chapel's architecture, comparing it with Bishop Skirlaw's Chapel. The interior was the subject of two schemes, the 1874 one of J K Colling and the 1890 one of R C Reade - in the latter, traceried transoms were added to the windows and the west gallery taken out. In 1888 a chancel was added and the side galleries removed.It was designated a Grade II listed building on 10 June 1954.
St Michael's Church is the principal Anglican church for Camden Town in north London. The present building, designed by George Frederick Bodley and Thomas Garner in a Gothic Revival style, dates to the late 19th century.HistoryThe congregation was begun in 1881 at a building nearby which now houses a betting shop ; a service was held in the shop to begin the celebrations for the church's 125th anniversary in 2002.The present building was the first London church designed by Bodley and Garner and is built of brick with stone dressings in the decorated Gothic style. The nave was completed in 1881 and the chancel added and consecrated in 1894 under its first vicar, Father Edward Penfold. A north west tower was planned but never built. The interior has a continuous, stenciled waggon ceiling covering both nave and chancel, and a vaulted north chapel. The west front was restored in 2005 and a new roof was completed in August 2007. The church is Grade II* listed, for its interior.In 1954 the parish of St Michael's subsumed those of All Saints, Camden Town (which had become a Greek Orthodox church in 1948) and St.Thomas, Agar Town, Wrotham Road (whose 1864 building was demolished due to war damage). In 2003 St Michael's became part of the St Pancras Team Ministry, with St Pancras Old Church, St Mary's Church, Somers Town, and St Paul's Church, Camden Square.
University College Hospital is a teaching hospital located in London, United Kingdom. It is part of the University College London Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust and is closely associated with University College London .The hospital has 665 in-patient beds, 12 operating theatres and houses the largest single critical care unit in the NHS. The Accident & Emergency department sees approximately 80,000 patients a year. It is a major teaching hospital and a key location for the UCL Medical School. It is also a major centre for medical research and part of both the UCLH/UCL Biomedical Research Centre and the UCL Partners academic health science centre.The hospital is located on Euston Road in the Fitzrovia area of the London Borough of Camden, adjacent to the main campus of UCL. The nearest London Underground stations are Euston Square and Warren Street, with Goodge Street nearby.
The London Centre for Nanotechnology is a multidisciplinary research centre in physical and biomedical nanotechnology in London, United Kingdom. It brings together two institutions that are world leaders in nanotechnology, University College London and Imperial College London. It was conceived from the outset with a management structure allowing for a clear focus on exploitation and commercialisation. Although based at UCL's campus in Bloomsbury, the LCN includes research in departments of Imperial's South Kensington campus.The LCN's work requires it to draw on the combined skills of multiple departments, including medicine, chemistry, physics, electrical and electronic engineering, biochemical engineering, materials and earth sciences, and two leading business centres. The LCN’s stated vision is to become Europe’s premier research centre in nanotechnology applied to health care, information technology and the environment.HistoryThe London Centre for Nanotechnology was established as a joint venture between UCL and Imperial College London in 2003 following the award of a £13.65m higher education grant under the Science Research Infrastructure Fund. In October 2006 the LCN installed the first monochromated electron microscope in the UK at its site on the Imperial College London campus.In October 2008 the LCN published research about the possibility of using microscopic "nanoprobes" to discover new drugs to combat antibiotic resistance. In October 2009 a team at the Science and Technology Facilities Council's ISIS facility led by Stephen Bramwell of the LCN published research showing that single magnetic charges be made to behave and interact like electrical ones through the use of the magnetic monopoles that exist in spin ice.