EuroZoid
Discover The Most Popular Places In Europe

Castel Sant'Angelo, Rome | Tourist Information


Lungotevere Castello
Rome, Italy 00193


The Mausoleum of Hadrian, usually known as Castel Sant'Angelo, is a towering cylindrical building in Parco Adriano, Rome, Italy. It was initially commissioned by the Roman Emperor Hadrian as a mausoleum for himself and his family. The building was later used by the popes as a fortress and castle, and is now a museum. The Castle was once the tallest building in Rome.Hadrian's tombThe tomb of the Roman emperor Hadrian, also called Hadrian's mole, was erected on the right bank of the Tiber, between 134 and 139 AD. Originally the mausoleum was a decorated cylinder, with a garden top and golden quadriga. Hadrian's ashes were placed here a year after his death in Baiae in 138, together with those of his wife Sabina, and his first adopted son, Lucius Aelius, who also died in 138. Following this, the remains of succeeding emperors were also placed here, the last recorded deposition being Caracalla in 217. The urns containing these ashes were probably placed in what is now known as the Treasury room deep within the building. Hadrian also built the Pons Aelius facing straight onto the mausoleum – it still provides a scenic approach from the center of Rome and the left bank of the Tiber, and is renowned for the Baroque additions of statues of angels holding aloft elements of the Passion of Christ.

Catholic Church Near Castel Sant'Angelo

Basilica Di S. Alessio All'Aventino
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
P-za S.Alessio 23
Rome, 00153

Santa Sabina
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Pietro d'Illiria, 1
Rome, 00040

0657941

The Basilica of Saint Sabina is a historical church on the Aventine Hill in Rome, Italy. It is a titular minor basilica and mother church of the Roman Catholic Order of Preachers, better known as the Dominicans. Santa Sabina is perched high above the Tiber river to the north and the Circus Maximus to the east. It is next to small public park Giardino degli Aranci, which has a scenic terrace overlooking Rome. It is a short distance to the headquarters of the Knights of Malta.Santa Sabina is the oldest extant Roman basilica in Rome that preserves its original colonnaded rectangular plan and architectural style. Its decorations have been restored to their original restrained design. Other basilicas, such as Santa Maria Maggiore, are often heavily and gaudily decorated. Because of its simplicity, the Santa Sabina represents the crossover from a roofed Roman forum to the churches of Christendom. Its Cardinal Priest is Jozef Tomko. It is the stational church for Ash Wednesday.

San Pancrazio in Roma ::: Basilica, Oratorio, Missioni.
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza di San Pancrazio, 5/d
Rome, 00152

+39 06 5810458

La Basilica di San Pancrazio si trova a Roma. Famosa per le sue catacombe, ha un oratorio molto attivo e una missione a Toroma, in Uganda.

San Pancrazio
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza San Pancrazio 17
Rome, 00152

3494908774

San Francesco a Ripa
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza San Francesco di Assisi, 88
Rome, 00187

+39 06 581 9020

San Francesco a Ripa is a church in Rome, Italy. It is dedicated to Francis of Assisi because the adjacent convent accommodated him, while the term Ripa refers to the nearby river-edge of the Tiber.HistoryThe origins of this church are related to Franciscan convent existing in the Trastevere quarter of Rome since the 12th centuries. This had an annexed 1231 church dedicated to Saint Blaise (San Biagio). This church was decorated with the (now lost) St Francis cycle by Pietro Cavallini. This cycle probably served as prototype for the famous Legend of St Francis frescoes, ascribed to Giotto di Bondone, in the Upper Basilica of St Francis in Assisi. The construction of the present church was begun in 1603 by Onorio Longhi, starting from the apse. The facade was finished in 1681-1701 with design by Mattia de Rossi. From 1873 to 1943 the church was used as barracks by the Bersaglieri.

Santa Maria dell'Orto
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
Via Anicia
Rome, 00153

Santa Maria dell'Orto is a Roman Catholic church in the Rione of Trastevere in Rome (Italy). It is the national church of Japan in Rome.HistoryThe church rises in the middle of the area that, since about 508 BC, was called Prata Mutia . This refers to the plot of land where the Etruscan king Porsena had set his encampment, and that later the Roman Senate donated to Mucius Scaevola as a sign of gratitude of Rome for his heroic act. The origins of the church are associated to a miracle, that is supposed to have happened circa 1488. A sick farmer, afflicted with a serious palsy according to oral history, was healed after praying a picture of the Virgin Mary painted close to the entrance to his own market garden. The event led to popular worship for the picture, and subsequently a small votive chapel was erected, soon followed by a greater church, funded by 12 professional associations . In 1492 Pope Alexander VI allowed the establishment of a confraternity and in 1588 Pope Sixtus V declared it "Archconfraternity" and bestowed on it the rare privilege to ask once a year – during the titular feast – the pardon of a man condemned to death. During the 1825 Jubilee, as attested by Gaetano Moroni in his Dictionary of historic-ecclesiastical erudition, it was eventually honored with the title of Venerable.

S. Cecilia
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
P.ZA S. - Cecilia 22
Rome, 00153

Chiesa Di Santa Cecilia
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
P.zza Santa Cecilia, 22
Rome,

Santa Cecilia in Trastevere
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
22 Piazza di Santa Cecilia
Rome, 00153

Santa Cecilia in Trastevere is a 5th-century church in Rome, Italy, in the Trastevere rione, devoted to the Roman martyr Saint Cecilia.

Basilica di Sant'Anastasia al Palatino
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza S. Anastasia 1
Rome, 00186

Sant'Anastasia is a basilica and titular church in for cardinal-priests in Rome, Italy.BasilicaSant'Anastasia was built in the late 3rd century - early 4th century, possibly by a Roman woman named Anastasia. The church is listed under the titulus Anastasiae in the acts of the 499 synod. Later the church was entitled to the martyr with the same name, Anastasia of Sirmium.The church was restored several times: Pope Damasus I (366-383), Pope Hilarius (461-468), Pope John VII (705-707), Pope Leo III (795-816), and Pope Gregory IV (827-844). The current church dates back to the 17th century restoration commissioned by Pope Urban VII.Traditionally, the church is connected to the cult of St Jerome, who possibly celebrated mass here. The saint is depicted over the altar, by Domenichino.Art and architectureThe last restoration, after the restoration during the papacy of Sixtus IV, occurred in 1636, when the facade, with lower doric and upper ionic order, was reconstructed in 1636, after the cyclone of 1634. The nave recycles antique columns. The ceiling is frescoed with a martyrdom of the saints (1722) by Michelangelo Cerruti.

Santa Maria della Luce, Rome
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
Via Della Lungaretta 22 A
Rome, 00153

The church of Santa Maria della Luce is an ancient church in the Rione of Trastevere in Rome, Italy.The church was originally known as San Salvatore in Corte. That church was founded by Saint Bonosa in the 4th century at the site of the excubitorium or barracks of the "cohort VII Brigade". The church was rebuilt in the 12th century, together with bell-tower, which is still preserved. In 1595, the church was placed under the jurisdiction of the nearby Basilica of San Crisogono. In 1728, a Pope Benedict XIII assigned the church to the Minims, an order established by St. Francis of Paola.The current name of the church dates from 1730, when a series of miracles were linked to an icon painted on the exterior of a nearby house nearby, which was seen to emit light. The image was then transferred to the Church, and changed name. The church interior underwent reconstruction by architect Gabriele Valvassori, though the facade remained unfinished. The apse, even after Baroque restoration, still shows signs of the original Romanesque architecture. The apse is frescoed with The Eternal Father by Stefano Conca.The chapel of St Joseph on the right has an altarpiece depicting the Death of St Joseph (1754) by Giovanni Conso (painter). The chapel of St Francis of Paola is on the left, and has an altarpiece depicting Saints Francis de Sales and John of Valois by Stefano Conca. The chapel on the right dedicated to Saints Joachim and Anne has an altarpiece depicting the Family of the Virgin (1753) by Pietro Labruzzi. Other chapels have modern artworks mostly showing Latin American devotions. There is also an painting by Onofrio Avellino depicting Miracle of St Francis of Paola walking across the Straits of Messina(1700).

San Giorgio in Velabro
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
Via del Velabro 19
Rome, 00186

San Giorgio in Velabro is a church in Rome, Italy, devoted to St. George.The church is located in the ancient Roman Velabrum, near the Arch of Janus, in the rione of Ripa. Sited near the River Tiber, it is within a complex of Republican-era pagan temples associated with the port of Rome. The ancient Arcus Argentariorum is attached to the side of the church's façade.San Giorgio in Velabro is the station church for the first Thursday in Lent.HistoryThe first religious building attested in the place of the current basilica is a diaconia, funded by Pope Gregory the Great.The current church was built during the 7th century, possibly by Pope Leo II, who dedicated it to Saint Sebastian. A 482 inscription in the catacombs of St. Callixtus probably refers of a church in the same zone. Its plan is irregular, indeed slightly trapezoidal, as a result of the frequent additions to the building. As can be seen from the lower photograph, the interior columns are almost randomly arranged having been taken from sundry Roman temples.

San Bartolomeo all'Isola
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
Piazza di San Bartolomeo all'isola, 22
Rome, 00186

The Basilica of St. Bartholomew on the Island (Basilica di San Bartolomeo all'Isola, Basilica S. Bartholomaei in Insula) is a titular minor basilica, located in Rome, Italy. It was founded at the end of the 10th century by Otto III, Holy Roman Emperor. It contains the relics of St. Bartholomew the Apostle, and is located on Tiber Island, on the site of the former temple of Aesculapius, which had cleansed the island of its former ill-repute among the Romans and established its reputation as a hospital, continued under Christian auspices today.The most recent Cardinal priest of the Titulus S. Bartholomaei in Insula was Cardinal Francis George, the Archbishop Emeritus of Chicago, who died on Friday, April 17, 2015.HistoryIn Roman times, the Temple of Aesculapius stood on the site of the modern church. The entire Isola Tiberina had actually been covered in marble in an effort to make the island look like a ship. The prow can still be seen today.

San Nicola In Carcere
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
Via Del Teatro Di Marcello 46
Rome, 00186

066869972

Santa Maria della Consolazione
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
PIAZZA DELLA CONSOLAZIONE, 84
Rome, 00186

066784654

Santa Maria della Consolazione is a Roman Catholic church in Rome, Italy at the foot of the Palatine Hill, in rione Campitelli.HistoryThe church is named after an icon of the Virgin Mary which was placed on this site to console criminals who were tossed down off the cliff above the church, thought to be the Tarpeian Rock from where condemned Ancient Roman criminals were tossed to their death in Roman times. In 1385 a condemned nobleman, Giordanello degli Alberini, paid 2 gold florins for the icon to provide consolation for criminals facing death.

Santa Maria in Campitelli
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Campitelli, 9
Rome, 00186

0668803978

Santa Maria in Campitelli è una chiesa di Roma sita nel rione Sant'Angelo.

Basilica of Santa Maria in Ara Coeli
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Campidoglio 55
Rome, 00187

The Basilica of St. Mary of the Altar of Heaven (Basilica Sanctae Mariae de Ara coeli in Capitolium, Basilica di Santa Maria in Ara coeli al Campidoglio) is a titular basilica in Rome, located on the highest summit of the Campidoglio. It is still the designated Church of the city council of Rome, which uses the ancient title of Senatus Populusque Romanus. The present Cardinal Priest of the Titulus Sancta Mariae de Aracoeli is Salvatore De Giorgi.The shrine is known for housing relics belonging to Saint Helena, mother of Emperor Constantine, various minor relics from the Holy Sepulchre, the canonically crowned image of Santa Maria di Aracoeli on the high altar and the Santo Bambino of Aracoeli.HistoryOriginally the church was named Sancta Maria in Capitolio, since it was sited on the Capitoline Hill (Campidoglio, in Italian) of Ancient Rome; by the 14th century it had been renamed. A medieval legend included in the mid-12th-century guide to Rome, Mirabilia Urbis Romae, claimed that the church was built over an Augustan Ara primogeniti Dei, in the place where the Tiburtine Sibyl prophesied to Augustus the coming of the Christ. "For this reason the figures of Augustus and of the Tiburtine sibyl are painted on either side of the arch above the high altar" (Lanciani chapter 1). A later legend substituted an apparition of the Virgin Mary. In the Middle Ages, condemned criminals were executed at the foot of the steps; there the self-proclaimed Tribune and reviver of the Roman Republic Cola di Rienzo met his death, near the spot where his statue commemorates him.

San Carlo ai Catinari
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
P.zza Benedetto Cairoli, 117
Rome, 00186

+39 06 6830 7070

De San Carlo ai Catinari is een kerk in Rome, gelegen aan het Piazza Benedetto Cairoli, in de buurt van het Piazza Campo dei Fiori. De kerk, gediend door de Congregatie der Barnabieten, is gewijd aan de heilige Carolus Borromeus .GeschiedenisDe San Carlo ai Catinari is gebouwd tussen 1636 en 1638, in de periode van de Contrareformatie, in opdracht van de Milanese gemeenschap in Rome, die met deze kerk de in 1610 heilig verklaarde bisschop eerden. De kerk werd op 19 maart 1722 gewijd door Lorenzo Corsini, de latere paus Clemens XII.De kerk is gerestaureerd in de negentiende eeuw, en nogmaals in 1915, na beschadiging door een aardbeving.InterieurDe kerk heeft de vorm van een Grieks kruis. De koepel met cassettenplafond, de grootste van Rome na die van de Sint-Pietersbasiliek en de Sant'Andrea della Valle, is ontworpen door Rosato Rosati.

Sant'Andrea della Valle
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Vidoni, 6
Rome, 00186

+39 06 686 1339

Sant'Andrea della Valle is a basilica church in the rione of Sant'Eustachio of the city of Rome, Italy. The basilica is the general seat for the religious order of the Theatines. It is located on Piazza Vidoni at the intersection of Corso Vittorio Emanuele (facing facade) and Corso Rinascimento.OverviewA church was initially planned when Donna Costanza Piccolomini d'Aragona, duchess of Amalfi and descendant of the family of Pope Pius II, bequeathed her palace and the adjacent church of San Sebastiano in central Rome to the Theatine order for construction of a new church. Since Amalfi's patron was Saint Andrew, the church was planned in his honor. Work initially started around 1590 under the designs of Giacomo della Porta and Pier Paolo Olivieri, and under the patronage of Cardinal Gesualdo. With the previous patron's death, direction of the church passed to Cardinal Alessandro Peretti di Montalto, nephew of Pope Sixtus V. Work restarted by 1608, financed by what was then an enormous endowment of over 150,000 gold scudi, and with a more grandiose plan designed mainly by Carlo Maderno. The interior of the church was completed by 1650, with some changes added by Francesco Grimaldi.

Sant'Andrea della Valle
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Vidoni, 6
Rome, 00186

+39 06 686 1339

Sant'Andrea della Valle is een basiliek te Rome, in de wijk Sant'Eustachio. Donna Costanza Piccolomini d'Aragona, gravin van Amalfi en afstammelinge van de familie van Paus Pius II, liet haar paleis en aangrenzende kerk van San Sebastiano in het centrum van Rome na aan de Theatijnen en gaf opdracht om een nieuwe kerk te bouwen. Gezien het feit dat de patroonheilige van de Amalfi's Andreas was, werd de kerk te zijner ere gebouwd. De bouw startte rond 1590 onder leiding van Giacomo della Porta en Pier Paolo Olivieri en met de steun van kardinaal Gesualdo. Na de dood van deze laatste, kwam de kerk onder bescherming te staan van kardinaal Alessandro Peretti di Montalto, neef van Paus Sixtus V. In 1608 kwam er een enorme gift van meer dan 150.000 gouden scudi. Onder leiding van Carlo Maderno kon de basiliek nu dus nog grootser worden afgewerkt. Het interieur werd uiteindelijk voltooid in 1650, onder andere door Francesco Grimaldi.

Church of the Gesù
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Via degli Astalli 16
Rome, 00186

The Church of the Gesù is the mother church of the Society of Jesus (Jesuits), a Catholic religious order. Officially named Chiesa del Santissimo Nome di Gesù all'Argentina (Church of the Most Holy Name of Jesus at the "Argentina"), its facade is "the first truly baroque façade", introducing the baroque style into architecture. The church served as model for innumerable Jesuit churches all over the world, especially in the Americas. The Church of the Gesù is located in the Piazza del Gesù in Rome.First conceived in 1551 by Saint Ignatius of Loyola, the founder of the Jesuits Society of Jesus, and active during the Protestant Reformation and the subsequent Catholic Reformation, the Gesù was also the home of the Superior General of the Society of Jesus until the suppression of the order in 1773. The church having been subsequently regained by the Jesuits, the adjacent palazzo is now a residence for Jesuit scholars from around the world studying at the Gregorian University in preparation for ordination to the priesthood.

Saint Peter's Basilica, Vatican City
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza di San Pietro, 00120
Rome, 75023

+39 06 6988 3731

Santa Maria di Loreto, Rome
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
P.zza Madonna di Loreto, 26
Rome,

Santa Maria di Loreto is a 16th-century church in Rome, central Italy, located just across the street from the Trajan's Column, near the giant Monument of Vittorio Emanuele II.HistoryAfter the Jubilee of 1500, the association of metallurgical (Sodalizio dei Fornai) received permission from Pope Alexander VI to build a church at this site. Construction of this church began in 1507 by Antonio da Sangallo the younger, with an octagonal floor plan; the dome and the lantern were completed by Jacopo del Duca some 75 years later. The church was built atop an earlier 15th century chapel, which contained an icon of the Virgin of Loreto, hence the church retained the icon and acquired the title. It is most notable for the adjacent erection of a similarly domed, but pale marble, 18th-century church Santissimo Nome di Maria al Foro Traiano, giving the semblance of twin churches.

Santissime Stimmate di San Francesco
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Largo delle Stimmate 1 - 00186 ROMA
Rome,

The Ss. Stimmate di San Francesco ("Church of the Holy Stigmata of St. Francis") is a church in central Rome, Italy, in the Rione Pigna, sited where previously there was a church called Ss. Quaranta Martiri de Calcarario. It is located on via dei Cestari, near corner with Corso Vittorio Emanuele II and across the street and diagonal from the Largo di Torre Argentina.A first church in the place was consecrated in 1297. In 1597 the land was given by Pope Clement VIII to the Confraternita delle Ss.Stimmate; the construction a new building was completed in 1714, on designs by Giovanni Battista Contini.Art and architectureThe facade was designed by Antonio Canevari, in a plan recalling Pietro da Cortona's style. In the center niche formed by the interrupted tympanum is a statue of the saint receiving the stigmata as he looks heavenward. The ceiling has a Glory of St. Francis by Luigi Garzi, while the first chapel to the right has a Flagellation by Marco Benefial with a cupola frescoed by Giovanni Odazzi. The main altarpiece is a Saint Francis with stigmata (1719) by Francesco Trevisani. In the first chapel the left is a Ss. Quaranta Martiri (Holy Forty martyrs) by Giacinto Brandi, author of another St. Francis with Stigmata in the Hall of Stimmate.

San Lorenzo in Damaso
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Cancelleria
Rome,

+39 06 68891661

San Lorenzo in Damaso is a basilica church in central Rome, Italy. It is incorporated into the Palazzo della Cancelleria.HistoryArcheologic evidence suggests the site, like many loci for Roman churches, may have housed a pagan temple. The first documentary evidence of a church at this site is the reference in the synod of Pope Symmachus (499) of a Titulus Damasi. According to tradition, in the 380s a basilica church was built by Pope Damasus I in his own house. This church is one of many dedicated to the Roman deacon and martyr Saint Lawrence, including the more ancient and then extra-urban, San Lorenzo fuori le Mura, that was rebuilt by the same Pope Damasus. The original basilica for San Lorenzo in Damaso was demolished by Cardinal Raffaele Riario, a nephew of Pope Sixtus IV who commissioned the imposing Renaissance-style Palazzo della Cancelleria (1489–1513). The palace was built using spolia and stone from nearby Ancient Roman buildings, including the Colosseum and enveloped the new church of San Lorenzo under the right wing; the entrance is located at number 1, Piazza della Cancelleria, on the right flank of the facade.The architect of the church, like that of the palace, is unclear. The palace design has been attributed to Francesco di Giorgio Martini and Baccio Pontelli, while Titi suggests Bramante, and other authors had cited Giuliano da Sangallo and Andrea Bregno. reconstruction of the church is also independently attributed to Bramante by Titi.

Basilica di Santa Maria Sopra Minerva
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Minerva 42
Rome, 00186

0066793926

Santa Maria sopra Minerva
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Minerva 42
Rome, 00186

06 69 92 03 84

Santa Maria sopra Minerva is one of the major churches of the Roman Catholic Order of Preachers in Rome, Italy. The church's name derives from the fact that the first Christian church structure on the site was built directly over the ruins or foundations of a temple dedicated to the Egyptian goddess Isis, which had been erroneously ascribed to the Greco-Roman goddess Minerva.The church is located in Piazza della Minerva one block behind the Pantheon in the Pigna rione of Rome within the ancient district known as the Campus Martius. The present church and disposition of surrounding structures is visible in a detail from the Nolli Map of 1748.While many other medieval churches in Rome have been given Baroque makeovers that cover Gothic structures, the Minerva is the only extant example of original Gothic church building in Rome. Behind a restrained Renaissance style façade the Gothic interior features arched vaulting that was painted blue with gilded stars and trimmed with brilliant red ribbing in a 19th-century Neo-Gothic restoration.

Local Business Near Castel Sant'Angelo

Via San Paolo Alla Regola
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Via san Paolo alla regola
Rome, Italy 00186

Lungotevere Trastevere
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Lungotevere degli Anguillara
Rome, Italy 00153

C.P.Gioielleria
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
PIAZZA DEL MONTE DELLA PIETà 28A
Rome, Italy 00186

066833935

Acquistiamo oggetti preziosi,tra cui oro,argento,brillanti,orologi, gioielli di antiquariato,pellicce,disimpegno polizze gratuito con massima valutazione,quadri,antiquariato,borse. Quotazione giornaliera in tempo reale.

Miraggio
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Via Della Lungara 16/A
Rome, Italy 00165

06 66560369

San Carlo ai Catinari
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
P.zza Benedetto Cairoli, 117
Rome, Italy 00186

+39 06 6830 7070

De San Carlo ai Catinari is een kerk in Rome, gelegen aan het Piazza Benedetto Cairoli, in de buurt van het Piazza Campo dei Fiori. De kerk, gediend door de Congregatie der Barnabieten, is gewijd aan de heilige Carolus Borromeus .GeschiedenisDe San Carlo ai Catinari is gebouwd tussen 1636 en 1638, in de periode van de Contrareformatie, in opdracht van de Milanese gemeenschap in Rome, die met deze kerk de in 1610 heilig verklaarde bisschop eerden. De kerk werd op 19 maart 1722 gewijd door Lorenzo Corsini, de latere paus Clemens XII.De kerk is gerestaureerd in de negentiende eeuw, en nogmaals in 1915, na beschadiging door een aardbeving.InterieurDe kerk heeft de vorm van een Grieks kruis. De koepel met cassettenplafond, de grootste van Rome na die van de Sint-Pietersbasiliek en de Sant'Andrea della Valle, is ontworpen door Rosato Rosati.

Palazzo Spada Consiglio di Stato -Roma
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Capo di Ferro, 13
Rome, Italy

Agriturismo Adriana Tarantani
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Loc. Tre Venti 1
Rome, Italy

0385955903

Antico Forno Roscioli
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Via dei Chiavari 34
Rome, Italy 00186

06 6864045

Bed & Breakfast "Suncave Gardens"
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
v.casetta mattei/Via delle Grotte 13, I Terzi
Cerveteri, Italy 00052

tel e fax +39.06.99205078 /+39.329.790.4369

The property consists of seven acres bordering agricultural university woods. ~This backdrop lends itself to scenic walks, horseback riding, mountain biking amidst heards of roaming livestock , picking blackberries, biking around Lake Bracciano, or just relaxing down at the cave garden. ~We are located: 25 min to St Peters and Rome center via local train or by organized transportation by proprietors. *15 min from sea and Lake Bracciano; *15 min from Cerveteri Etruscan Museum and Necropolis, 25 min from Fiumicino airport and seaports of Fiumicino and Civitavecchia.

Palazzo Falconieri
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Via Giulia 1
Rome, Italy 00186

06 688 9671

The Palazzo Falconieri is a palace in Rome, Italy formed in the seventeenth century as a result of remodelling by the Baroque architect Francesco Borromini. It is the home of the Hungarian Academy Rome (which is the Rome office of the Balassi Institute), since its foundation in 1927. It is located between Via Giulia and Lugotevere, with entrances to both; it is near Plazzo Farnese and a few houses down and across Via Giulia from the church of Santa Caterina a Magnanapoli in the Rione of Regola. From 1814, it was occupied by cardinal Joseph Fesch, Napoleon's uncle.In 1638, Orazio Falconieri purchased a palace on the Via Giulia which had a small courtyard facing the River Tiber. He bought an adjacent property in 1645 and in 1646 and appointed the architect Francesco Borromini to remodel and refurbish the two. Some of Borromini’s work was lost in the nineteenth century development of Lungotevere, the embankment and road between the Tiber and the buildings which overlook it, but parts remain.The surviving parts of Borromini’s work include the façade to the Via Giulia, the Belvedere overlooking the Tiber and the decorative work in several rooms. On the façade, the number of bays was increased from seven to eleven and at either end, tall inverted fluted pilasters were placed terminating in falcons heads, a reference to the family name, that each look back at the façade. Overlooking the Tiber, Borromini added a Belvedere, a three bay loggia with Serliana openings, that stands above the surrounding buildings. On the interior, some of the rooms are ornamented with stucco work designed by Borromini, with the frequent use of heraldic devices and symbolic motifs

Quercia del Tasso
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Passeggiata del Gianicolo
Rome, Italy 00165

Ristorante Assunta Madre Roma
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
via Giulia 14
Rome, Italy

Carcere Regina Coeli
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Via della Lungara, 29
Rome, Italy 00165

06/680291

Campo de' Fiori
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Campo de' Fiori
Rome, Italy 00186

+39 349 325 9801

Campo de' Fiori is a rectangular square south of Piazza Navona in Rome, Italy, at the border between rione Parione and rione Regola. It is diagonally southeast of the Palazzo della Cancelleria and one block northeast of the Palazzo Farnese. Campo de' Fiori, translated literally from Italian, means "field of flowers". The name dates to the Middle Ages when the area was a meadow.HistoryIn Ancient Rome the area was unused space between Pompey's Theatre and the flood-prone Tiber. Though the Orsini established themselves on the south flank of the space in the 13th century, until the 15th century the square remained undeveloped. The first church in the immediate vicinity was built during the pontificate of Boniface IX (1389-1404), Santa Brigida a Campo de' Fiori; with the building-up of the rione, the church has now come to face that part of the former square that is now Piazza Farnese. In 1456 under Pope Callixtus III, Ludovico Cardinal Trevisani paved the area as part of a large project to improve rione Parione. This renewal was both the result and cause of several important buildings being built in the surroundings; in particular, the Orsini palace on Campo de' Fiori was rebuilt. The Renaissance Palazzo della Cancelleria can be seen in Vasi's etching, rising majestically beyond the far right corner of the square.

Casa Raia
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Campo de' Fiori 19
Rome, Italy 00186

3334699887

Museo Criminologico Via del Gonfalone 29 Roma
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Via Del Gonfalone 29
Rome, Italy 00186

English College, Rome
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Via di Monserrato 45
Rome, Italy 00186

The Venerable English College, commonly referred to as the English College, is a Roman Catholic seminary in Regola, Rome, Italy, for the training of priests for England and Wales. It was founded in 1579 by William Allen on the model of the English College, Douai.The current Rector is Monsignor Philip Whitmore. On 1 December 2012 (Martyrs' Day - its annual commemoration of former students who had suffered martyrdom), the College celebrated the 650th anniversary of the foundation of the original Hospice on the site with a concelebrated Mass at which the Duke and Duchess of Gloucester were present as representatives of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II, together with the Archbishop of Westminster, Vincent Nichols, and the Cardinal Archbishop Emeritus of Westminster, Cormac Murphy-O'Connor, a former Rector of the College. This celebration was followed by a papal audience with Pope Benedict XVI on 3 December 2012.

Sant'Andrea della Valle
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Vidoni, 6
Rome, Italy 00186

+39 06 686 1339

Sant'Andrea della Valle is a basilica church in the rione of Sant'Eustachio of the city of Rome, Italy. The basilica is the general seat for the religious order of the Theatines. It is located on Piazza Vidoni at the intersection of Corso Vittorio Emanuele (facing facade) and Corso Rinascimento.OverviewA church was initially planned when Donna Costanza Piccolomini d'Aragona, duchess of Amalfi and descendant of the family of Pope Pius II, bequeathed her palace and the adjacent church of San Sebastiano in central Rome to the Theatine order for construction of a new church. Since Amalfi's patron was Saint Andrew, the church was planned in his honor. Work initially started around 1590 under the designs of Giacomo della Porta and Pier Paolo Olivieri, and under the patronage of Cardinal Gesualdo. With the previous patron's death, direction of the church passed to Cardinal Alessandro Peretti di Montalto, nephew of Pope Sixtus V. Work restarted by 1608, financed by what was then an enormous endowment of over 150,000 gold scudi, and with a more grandiose plan designed mainly by Carlo Maderno. The interior of the church was completed by 1650, with some changes added by Francesco Grimaldi.

Sant'Andrea della Valle
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Vidoni, 6
Rome, Italy 00186

+39 06 686 1339

Sant'Andrea della Valle is een basiliek te Rome, in de wijk Sant'Eustachio. Donna Costanza Piccolomini d'Aragona, gravin van Amalfi en afstammelinge van de familie van Paus Pius II, liet haar paleis en aangrenzende kerk van San Sebastiano in het centrum van Rome na aan de Theatijnen en gaf opdracht om een nieuwe kerk te bouwen. Gezien het feit dat de patroonheilige van de Amalfi's Andreas was, werd de kerk te zijner ere gebouwd. De bouw startte rond 1590 onder leiding van Giacomo della Porta en Pier Paolo Olivieri en met de steun van kardinaal Gesualdo. Na de dood van deze laatste, kwam de kerk onder bescherming te staan van kardinaal Alessandro Peretti di Montalto, neef van Paus Sixtus V. In 1608 kwam er een enorme gift van meer dan 150.000 gouden scudi. Onder leiding van Carlo Maderno kon de basiliek nu dus nog grootser worden afgewerkt. Het interieur werd uiteindelijk voltooid in 1650, onder andere door Francesco Grimaldi.

San Peter Fitness
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Via delle Fornaci 155
Rome, Italy