Kensington Gardens, once the private gardens of Kensington Palace, are one of the Royal Parks of London, lying immediately to the west of Hyde Park. It is shared between the City of Westminster and the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, lying within western central London. The park covers an area of 111ha. The open spaces of Kensington Gardens, Hyde Park, Green Park and St. James's Park together form an almost continuous "green lung" in the heart of London between Kensington and Westminster.Kensington Gardens are Grade I listed on the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens.Background and locationKensington Gardens are generally regarded as being the western extent of the neighbouring Hyde Park from which they were originally taken, with West Carriage Drive and the Serpentine Bridge forming the boundary between them. The Gardens are fenced and more formal than Hyde Park. Kensington Gardens are open only during the hours of daylight, whereas Hyde Park is open from 5 am until midnight all year round, which includes many hours of darkness.Kensington Gardens were long regarded as smarter than Hyde Park because of its more private character around Kensington Palace. However, in the late 1800s, Hyde Park was considered the more "fashionable" of the two because of its location nearer to Park Lane and Knightsbridge, adjoining the entrance to central London opposite Wellington Arch and was therefore more crowded.
Redcliffe Square is a town square located in the Chelsea area of southwest central London, England (postcode SW10). Redcliffe Square Gardens are located in the square.Redcliffe Gardens runs northwest–southeast through the square. To the east is The Boltons. To the southwest is Brompton Cemetery.HistoryRedcliffe Square was built as part of the Gunter estate in the 1860s. The area was dominated by farmland prior to building development and Redcliffe Gardens used to be one of the old routes through the area, called Walnut Tree Walk, until the estate was laid out. Robert Gunter initiated most of the development of the estate, and much of the design was by his surveyor George Godwin working with his brother Henry. The name Redcliffe was chosen due to Godwin's connections with Bristol.This square was given to the Borough for free in 1949 providing its character was maintained.
The Boltons is a street located in the Brompton district of the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea, London, England (postcode SW10). The street is divided into two crescents to the west and east with large expensive houses and communal gardens in the centre.To the northwest via Boltons Place is Old Brompton Road and to the southeast via Gilston Road is Fulham Road. To the west are Redcliffe Square and Redcliffe Gardens.St Mary the Boltons church is located here.American actor Douglas Fairbanks Jr lived at number 28 The Boltons in the 1950s. Novelist and former politician Jeffrey Archer lived at number 24a in the mid 1970s.For some 15 years after WWII, "going to the Boltons" meant to Chelsea dwellers going to school. Indeed, on either side of Boltons Place were two educational establishments, Virgo fidelis, RC Junior Girls School and the state primary Bousfield School, which survives still. 29 The Boltons, on the junction of Tregunter and Gilston Roads, housed the infants' reception and two primary classes with a garden play area, as part of the nearby Lycée Français de Londres. Once the main school in South Kensington had sufficiently expanded in the late 1950s, the classes were moved there. The French Lycée was later renamed Lycée Français Charles de Gaulle.
Opened in 1968, The Chelsea Drugstore was a sleek modern glass and aluminium fronted building on the northwest corner of Royal Avenue and the Kings Road, in west London. Modelled on Le Drugstore on Boulevard St Germain in Paris, the Chelsea Drugstore was arranged over three floors and on most days remained open for up to 16 hours. Inside customers would find bars, a chemist, newsstands, record stores and other concessions. A popular service was the 'flying squad' delivery option run by the store. Those who used this service would have their purchases delivered by hand by young ladies adorned in purple catsuits arriving on flashy motorcycles.In popular cultureThe store is notably mentioned in The Rolling Stones song "You Can't Always Get What You Want". Chelsea Drugstore is also the title of a 2012 EP by UK band The Jetsonics as well as it being a film location in Stanley Kubrick's A Clockwork Orange. The store became a wine bar and then a McDonald's. Both pub and retail shops below were open until the late 1980s.
Eurogamer ExpoDistance: 1.4 miTourist Information Earls Court One Earls Court Warwick Road London Earls Court, SW5 9TA
The High Commission of Dominica in London is the diplomatic mission of Dominica in the United Kingdom. It shares the building with the High Commission of Saint Lucia.Gallery File:High_Commission_of_Dominica_in_London_2.jpg|Plaque outside the High commission depicting the Coat of arms of Dominica External links Official site
Glendower Preparatory School is an independent preparatory school in South Kensington, London for girls aged 4 to 11.HistoryGlendower Prep was founded in 1895 by Miss Lloyd and Miss Cornwall at 103A Fulham Road and was originally called "Cornwall and Lloyd School". The school shared premises with Dunn and Co the hatters and The Sports Motor Car Co.At some point between 1902 and 1918, the school moved to 5 Glendower Road and changed its name to Glendower School. After 2 years in Glendower Road, the school relocated to 25 - 27 Cromwell Road.The school remained at this site from 1920 until 1939 when the Second World War forced an evacuation to Cornwall. Glendower moved into 87 Queen's Gate in 1947 where it has remained with some extension and expansion until the present day.the headmistress is Sarah Knollys.Notable former pupilsGayatri Devi of JaipurPatricia FordCarmen Ejogo
The Embassy of the Republic of Yemen in London is the diplomatic mission of Yemen in the United Kingdom. The embassy occupies a five-storey nineteenth-century house opposite the Natural History Museum.
Baden-Powell House, colloquially known as B-P House, is a Scouting hostel and conference centre in South Kensington, London, which was built as a tribute to Lord Baden-Powell, the founder of Scouting. The house, owned by The Scout Association, hosts a small exhibition relating to Scouting in its current form and a granite statue by Don Potter.The building committee, chaired by Sir Harold Gillett, Lord Mayor of London, purchased the site in 1956, and assigned Ralph Tubbs to design the house in the modern architectural style. The foundation stone was laid in 1959 by World Chief Guide Olave, Lady Baden-Powell, and it was opened in 1961 by Queen Elizabeth II. The largest part of the £400,000 cost was provided by the Scout Movement itself. Over the years, the house has been refurbished several times, so that it now provides modern and affordable lodging for Scouts, Guides, their families and the general public staying in London. The building also hosts conference and event space for hire.HistoryActing on a 1942 initiative by Chief Scout Lord Somers, a formal Baden-Powell House Committee was established by The Scout Association in 1953 under the direction of Sir Harold Gillett, later Lord Mayor of London. The committee's directive was to build a hostel to provide Scouts a place to stay at reasonable cost while visiting London. For this purpose, in 1956 the committee purchased a bombed-out property at the intersection of Cromwell Road and Queen's Gate at a cost of £39,000.
Ognisko Polskie was founded to maintain the cohesion of the free Polish community in exile in the United Kingdom during the Second World War. It has served since to provide a home for Poles to meet and build friendships, as a place where Polish culture and history is kept alive and Polish identity and independence maintained.
In the 21st century Ognisko Polskie aims to continue to be a Centre of Polish life in the United Kingdom, where members can maintain and strengthen their relations with each other and the wider community, promote Polish culture through hosting events, supporting education and arts and providing a place where Polish generosity and warmth can be extended to all.
We are pleased to announce that Ognisko Polskie will develop a national Centre of Excellence to initiate, promote, implement and support the activities in the field of Culture and the Arts.
We will hold exhibitions, meetings, lectures, classes and seminars both alone or with others. We will gather artists, critics, art lovers, representatives of the academic world and of those working in the cultural sphere both in UK and abroad.
Our restaurant reopened and created by Jan Korybut Woroniecki is open since 18th September 2013.
Cover photo by Marek Abramowicz.
The Embassy of Thailand in London is the diplomatic mission of Thailand in the United Kingdom. It has been located at its current address since 1965. The building is one of a group of Grade II listed buildings in Queen's Gate, which includes the Bangladesh High Commission next door.Thailand also maintains an Office of the Air Attaché at 2 Victoria Road, South Kensington, an Office of Commercial Attaché at 11 Hertford Street, Mayfair and an Office of Educational Attaché at 28 Prince's Gate, South Kensington. The Ambassador's Residence is located in a separate building on Tregunter Road, Brompton.
Welcome to the Nando’s High Street Kensington (London) official Facebook page - home of the legendary Portuguese flame-grilled PERi-PERi Chicken.
Watch this space for all the latest PERi-PERi news and adventures. Need help? Feel free to message us or comment on our wall and we’ll get back to you.
Handy stuff: As well as all the good stuff, we wanted to say that we won’t tolerate any bad stuff, like rude language, offensive images, abuse of other community members and anything that may breach Facebook’s T&Cs. That means that any offensive posts will be removed without notice. If you’re interested in more info you can find answers to some of our most frequent questions right here >> http://www.nandos.co.uk/faq
Holy Trinity Church, South Kensington, is an Anglican church located on Prince Consort Road in the City of Westminster, London, England. The current building dates from 1901 and was built by George Frederick Bodley and Cecil Greenwood Hare.Edward Ashmore (British Army officer) and Gilbert Spencer were both married in the church.
The High Commission of Zambia in London is the diplomatic mission of Zambia in the United Kingdom.A plaque outside the High Commission commemorates the painter John Everett Millais who lived and died in the building.
Kosmopol is a Swedish cocktail bar located in the heart of Chelsea, owned and opened by the award winning bartender Fredrik Olsson. Kosmopol is famous for its friendly staff and professional bartenders, as well as the Swedish vibe of the bar. Kosmopol is open every day of the week, with live DJ’s spinning records every Friday and Saturday night. The bar is also available for private hire, it’s able to reserve a table as well as an entire floor. Maybe you have a birthday party coming up soon?
The bar is located on two floors, with a bar both upstairs and downstairs. The downstairs area is only open on the weekend, welcoming you to come in and dance to our DJ’s music!
Come in to Kosmopol and enjoy amazing cocktails, get the warm welcome by our extremely friendly staff and feel the Swedish vibe with lots of Scandinavian people visiting the bar daily!
Receiving 700,000 visitors each year, Brompton Cemetery is managed by The Royal Parks.
This green oasis is one of the Magnificent Seven Victorian cemeteries created in a ring around London in response to the great cholera epidemics of the 1830s.
Located in a densely populated area of South-West London, Brompton continues as a working cemetery today, with Grade I listed heritage status and as a Site of Nature Conservation Importance. Prominent personalities buried at Brompton include suffragette Emmeline Pankhurst, pugilist Gentleman John Jackson and cricket champion John Wisden. Their resting places range from simple gravestones to stunning mausoleums.
The Royal Parks is developing a second round application to Heritage Lottery and Big Lottery Funds for this £5 million Brompton Cemetery Conservation Project: http://www.royalparks.org.uk/parks/brompton-cemetery/brompton-cemetery-conservation-project
Please comment on the Project Proposals by completing our visitor survey questionnaire before 17 October 2014: http://www.cfpuk.co.uk/bromptoncemetery/
Chelsea Registry Office Distance: 1.5 miTourist Information Kings Road London, United Kingdom SW3 5