EuroZoid
Discover The Most Popular Places In Europe

the Albert Dock, Liverpool | Tourist Information


Albert Dock
Liverpool, United Kingdom L3 4

+44 (0)151 706 0576

Albert Dock is the most-visited free tourist destination in North West England, home to world-class museums, galleries, restaurants, bars and shops. Located in a spectacular World Heritage waterfront setting, Albert Dock is the largest collection of Grade I Listed buildings in the UK. Attractions include Tate Liverpool, the Beatles Story, Merseyside Maritime Museum, International Slavery Museum, and opening in 2016 - Mattel Play! Liverpool. Visitors can enjoy a short break with two hotels to choose from, plus a selection of bars, cafés and restaurants to suit every palate, a range of gift shops to browse, and a full events programme throughout the year.

Historical Place Near the Albert Dock

National Trust - The Hardmans' House
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
59 Rodney Street
Liverpool, L1 9ER

0151 709 6261

Step back in time and experience the 1950s. In this time capsule of post-war years you will glimpse the life of an extraordinary couple; renowned photographer Edward Chambré Hardman and his gifted wife Margaret who lived and worked together in this remarkable Georgian house for 40 years, keeping everything, changing nothing.

Ye Cracke
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
13 Rice St
Liverpool, L1 9BB

Ye Cracke is a pub in Rice Street off Hope Street, Liverpool, England. The 'Y' is a Thorn (Þ), thus the name is pronounced 'The Crack'. Despite the faux Old English name, Ye Cracke is in fact a 19th-century public house. The War Room is a small room in the pub, which is the oldest part of the pub.A collection of about 20 drawings of local buildings are displayed on the wall, and these all date from the late 1960s. It has historical connections with The Beatles (because it was frequented by John Lennon and his girlfriend Cynthia when they were at art school) and The Dissenters (to whom a plaque hangs in the bar).Doctors Thomas Cecil Gray and John Halton conceived the techniques described in their 1946 book A Milestone in Anaesthesia while in the pub.

Port of Liverpool Building
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Pier Head
Liverpool, L3 1

The Port of Liverpool Building is a Grade II* listed building in Liverpool, England. It is located at the Pier Head and, along with the neighbouring Royal Liver Building and Cunard Building, is one of Liverpool's Three Graces, which line the city's waterfront. It is also part of Liverpool's UNESCO-designated World Heritage Maritime Mercantile City.The building was designed by Sir Arnold Thornely and F.B. Hobbs and was developed in collaboration with Briggs and Wolstenholme. It was constructed between 1904 and 1907, with a reinforced concrete frame that is clad in Portland Stone. The building was the headquarters of the Mersey Docks and Harbour Board for 87 years, from 1907 to 1994, when the company relocated to new premises at Seaforth Dock. In 2001 it was sold to Downing, a Liverpool-based property developer, and between 2006 and 2009 underwent a major £10m restoration that restored many original features of the building.The Port of Liverpool Building is in the Edwardian Baroque style and is noted for the large dome that sits atop it, acting as the focal point of the building. It is approximately rectangular in shape with canted corners that are topped with stone cupolas. At 220ft the building is the fourteenth tallest building in Liverpool. Like the neighbouring Cunard Building, it is noted for the ornamental detail both on the inside and out, and in particular for the many maritime references and expensive decorative furnishings.

Cunard Building
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Pier Head
Liverpool, L3 1

The Cunard Building is a Grade II* listed building in Liverpool, England. It is located at the Pier Head and along with the neighbouring Liver Building and Port of Liverpool Building is one of Liverpool's Three Graces, which line the city's waterfront. It is also part of Liverpool's UNESCO designated World Heritage Maritime Mercantile City.It was designed by William Edward Willink and Philip Coldwell Thicknesse and was constructed between 1914 and 1917. The building's style is a mix of Italian Renaissance and Greek Revival, and its development has been particularly influenced by Italian palace design. The building is noted for the ornate sculptures that adorn its sides.The building was, from its construction until the 1960s, the headquarters of the Cunard Line, and the building still retains the name of its original tenants. It was also home to Cunard's passenger facilities for trans-Atlantic journeys that departed from Liverpool. Today, the building is owned by the Merseyside Pension Fund and is home to numerous public and private sector organisations. It is located directly opposite from Albion House, the former headquarters of White Star Line.

The Cavern Club
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Mathew Street
Liverpool, L2 6RE

The Cavern Club is a nightclub at 10 Mathew Street, in Liverpool, England.The original Cavern Club opened on Wednesday, 16 January 1957 as a jazz club, later becoming a centre of the rock and roll scene in Liverpool in the 1960s. The Beatles played in the club in their early years.The original Cavern club closed in March 1973 and was filled in during construction work on the Merseyrail underground rail loop. Focus were the last band to play the original Cavern a few days before the club was shut down.The Cavern Club re-opened on 26 April 1984 and was rebuilt using many of the original bricks, to the original plans.HistoryEarly historyAlan Sytner opened The Cavern Club, having been inspired by the jazz district in Paris, where there were a number of clubs in cellars. Sytner returned to Liverpool and strove to open a club similar to the Le Caveau de la Huchette jazz club in Paris. He eventually found a fruit warehouse where people were leasing the cellar, before this it was used as an air raid shelter in WWII The club was opened on 16 January 1957. The first act to perform at the opening of the club was the Merseysippi Jazz Band. Local commercial artist Tony Booth created the poster artwork for the opening night, who shortly after became the original poster artist for The Beatles.What started as a jazz club eventually became a hangout for skiffle groups. Whilst playing golf with Sytner's father, Dr. Joseph Sytner, Nigel Walley—who had left school at 15 to become an apprentice golf professional at the Lee Park Golf Club—asked Dr. Sytner if his son could book The Quarrymen at The Cavern, which was one of three jazz clubs he managed. Dr. Sytner suggested that the band should play at the golf club first, so as to assess their talent. After performing at the golf club Sytner phoned Walley a week later and offered the band an interlude spot playing skiffle between the performances of two jazz bands at The Cavern, on Wednesday, 7 August 1957.

Tower Buildings, Liverpool
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
water street
Liverpool, L3 1

Tower Buildings is a former office block in the city of Liverpool, Merseyside, England. It stands with its longer front on the east side of the Strand, and extends round the corner into Water Street. The building is located directly opposite the Royal Liver Building, which was designed by the same architect. Earlier buildings on the site have been a sandstone mansion, and a later fortified house known as the Tower of Liverpool. After this was demolished in 1819, it was replaced in 1846 by the first structure to be named Tower Buildings. The present structure is one of the earliest steel-framed buildings in England, and details of its architecture reflect the earlier fortified building on the site. It has been converted into apartments, and into units for commercial and retail use.HistoryThe building stands on a historic site in the city. The first structure on the site had been a sandstone mansion, built in 1256 on the shore of the River Mersey. Its first owner is not known, but by 1360 it was owned by Sir Robert Lathom. By beginning of the 15th century it was owned by Sir John Stanley. In 1406 Sir John gained permission from King Henry V build a fortified house, which was named the Tower of Liverpool. The Stanley family later became the Earls of Derby. By 1737 the house was being leased from the Earl of Derby by Liverpool Corporation. In 1745 part of it was converted into a prison, and the upper rooms were used for civic functions. In 1774 the Corporation bought the building outright. A new prison was built in Great Howard Street, and the building ceased to be used for this purpose in 1811. It was demolished in 1819 to allow widening of Water Street. The site was used for a row of warehouses, until in 1846 the first structure to be known as Tower Buildings was built to a design by Sir James Picton. The present building was designed in 1906 by Walter Aubrey Thomas, and its construction was completed in 1910. Thomas also designed the Royal Liver Building. Tower Buildings was one of the first steel-framed buildings in England. In 2006 it was converted into apartments, and into units for commercial and retail use.

Oriel Chambers
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
14 Water Street
Liverpool, L2 0SA

0151 236 7191

Oriel Chambers is the world's first building featuring a metal framed glass curtain wall. Designed by architect Peter Ellis and built in 1864, it is located on Water Street near the town hall in Liverpool, England. Due to its outstanding importance, it has been grade I listed.HistoryEllis won the commission for Oriel Chambers by competition and completed it in 1864 as evidenced by the building's inscription A.D. 1864 in the gable. It comprises 43000sqft of floor space set over five storeys. Ellis manages to maximise the influx of light by employing a grid of oriel windows which became the building's defining feature.Initially, it was not well received. The Builder of 16 June 1866 savaged it: The plainest brick warehouse in town is infinitely superior as a building to that large agglomeration of protruding plate-glass bubbles in Water Street termed Oriel Chambers. Did we not see this vast abortion – which would be depressing were it not ludicrous – with our own eyes, we should have doubted the possibility of its existence. Where and in what are their beauties supposed to lie?But the potential of Ellis' design was not lost on all of his contemporaries. John Wellborn Root studied in Liverpool as a teenaged boy, being sent there by his father to be safe from the American Civil War following the Atlanta Campaign (1864). In all likelihood, he studied the then brand new Oriel Chambers and put the lessons learnt to good use when he developed into an important architect of the Chicago School of Architecture, exporting Ellis' ideas across the Atlantic. Long rows of bay windows (of which oriels are a special type) characterise some of Burnham and Root's 1880s American skyscrapers.

St George's Hall Liverpool
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
St George's Place
Liverpool, L1 1JJ

151-2333020

St George's Hall, Liverpool
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
St George's Place
Liverpool, L1 1

151-2333020

St George's Hall is on Lime Street in the centre of the English city of Liverpool, opposite Lime Street railway station. It is a building in Neoclassical style which contains concert halls and law courts, and is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building. On the east side of the hall, between it and the railway station, is St George's Plateau and on the west side are St John's Gardens. The hall is included in the William Brown Street conservation area.In 1969 the architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner expressed his opinion that it is one of the finest neo-Grecian buildings in the world although the building is known for its use of Roman sources as well as Greek ones. In 2004, the hall and its surrounding area were recognised as part of Liverpool's World Heritage Site.HistoryThe site of the hall was formerly occupied by the first Liverpool Infirmary from 1749 to 1824. Triennial music festivals were held in the city but there was no suitable hall to accommodate them. Following a public meeting in 1836 a company was formed to raise subscriptions for a hall in Liverpool to be used for the festivals, and for meetings, dinners and concerts. Shares were made available at £25 each and by January 1837 £23,350 had been raised. In 1838 the foundation stone was laid to commemorate the coronation of Queen Victoria.

Landmark and Historical Place Near the Albert Dock

Ghetto Golf
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Stanhope street
Liverpool, United Kingdom L8 5XJ

01517085231

LightNight
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Venues across Liverpool city centre
Liverpool, United Kingdom L1 7

01514784550

On Friday 19 May 2017 night owls can look forward to over 100 FREE events at Liverpool's annual Light Night festival. Light Night Liverpool 19 May 2017 5pm until late Venues across Liverpool city centre Most events FREE

Exhibition Centre Liverpool
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Kings Dock
Liverpool, United Kingdom L43 4FB

+44 (0)151 475 8888

Mattel Play Liverpool
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Albert Dock
Liverpool, United Kingdom L3 4

0151 706 0981

Welcome to Mattel Play! Liverpool, a brand new fully undercover family entertainment centre which opened at the Albert Dock on 22nd March 2016. Based on the popular TV characters that children know and love – Thomas & Friends, Bob the Builder and Fireman Sam, come along and inspire your child’s imagination with over 13,000 square feet of interactive adventure play across three uniquely themed zones. Once inside you don’t sit and watch, but instead it is your child’s creativity, physicality and natural curiosity that brings their favourite characters and stories to life. Begin your adventure with Thomas and Rosie as you explore the Island of Sodor from Knapford Station to Tidmouth Sheds and Farmer McColl’s farm. Grab your tool belt and hard hat and lose yourself in the adventures of Bob and Wendy as they construct projects using a foundation of determination and teamwork. Be transported to the Welsh village of Pontypandy where you can climb aboard Jupiter, explore the Ocean Rescue Centre and put fires out at sea, just like our heroes next door Fireman Sam and Penny! With free entry to our on-site café and retail area, as well as two themed party areas for your special celebrations and an interactive green screen experience, we’re one of Liverpool's most unique family attractions.

International Slavery Museum
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Albert Dock
Liverpool, United Kingdom L3 4AQ

0151 478 4499

Xposure Studios Ltd
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Unit 211, Tea Factory, 82 Wood Street
Liverpool, United Kingdom L1 4DQ

01517092348

Xposure Studios are a luxury makeover & fashion photography studio in the very heart of Liverpool city centre stiuated in the newly refurbished Tea Factory in St Peters Square.

Jungle Rumble
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Jungle Rumble Adventure Golf, 16 Paradise Street, Liverpool ONE
Liverpool, United Kingdom L1 8JF

0151 232 2355

Jungle Rumble is one of the best and most exciting indoor adventure golf courses anywhere. Our two 18-hole courses are the best in the whole country. Reminiscent of an Indiana Jones film set, the course features a diverse array of adventurous holes including a live volcano cave, temple ruins and a secret swamp. Enjoy the magic of Jungle Rumble complete with jungle settings, rock hard obstacles, tribal huts and Aztec surroundings. Test your putting skills throughout the courses marvelling at the amazing sights and sounds of the jungle. It’s a great place to celebrate a birthday, enjoy a night out with friends or for some family fun. You can even hang out in the Hideout Café and enjoy a drinks and food after your round of golf. Jungle Rumble- A unique fun packed mini golf experience for all ages. You’d be a monkey to miss it.

Liverpool's Pier Head and Waterfront
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
THe Strand
Liverpool, United Kingdom L3 1

07745358734

The Cavern Club
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Mathew Street
Liverpool, United Kingdom L2 6RE

The Cavern Club is a nightclub at 10 Mathew Street, in Liverpool, England.The original Cavern Club opened on Wednesday, 16 January 1957 as a jazz club, later becoming a centre of the rock and roll scene in Liverpool in the 1960s. The Beatles played in the club in their early years.The original Cavern club closed in March 1973 and was filled in during construction work on the Merseyrail underground rail loop. Focus were the last band to play the original Cavern a few days before the club was shut down.The Cavern Club re-opened on 26 April 1984 and was rebuilt using many of the original bricks, to the original plans.HistoryEarly historyAlan Sytner opened The Cavern Club, having been inspired by the jazz district in Paris, where there were a number of clubs in cellars. Sytner returned to Liverpool and strove to open a club similar to the Le Caveau de la Huchette jazz club in Paris. He eventually found a fruit warehouse where people were leasing the cellar, before this it was used as an air raid shelter in WWII The club was opened on 16 January 1957. The first act to perform at the opening of the club was the Merseysippi Jazz Band. Local commercial artist Tony Booth created the poster artwork for the opening night, who shortly after became the original poster artist for The Beatles.What started as a jazz club eventually became a hangout for skiffle groups. Whilst playing golf with Sytner's father, Dr. Joseph Sytner, Nigel Walley—who had left school at 15 to become an apprentice golf professional at the Lee Park Golf Club—asked Dr. Sytner if his son could book The Quarrymen at The Cavern, which was one of three jazz clubs he managed. Dr. Sytner suggested that the band should play at the golf club first, so as to assess their talent. After performing at the golf club Sytner phoned Walley a week later and offered the band an interlude spot playing skiffle between the performances of two jazz bands at The Cavern, on Wednesday, 7 August 1957.

Cavern Club Liverpool
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
10 Mathew Street
Liverpool, United Kingdom L2 6RE

0151 236 1965

Keep up to date with what's happening at the Cavern Club, Cavern Pub and Magical Mystery Tour here.

Radio City Tower
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
1 Houghton St
Liverpool, United Kingdom L1 1

01514726800

Radio City Tower is a radio and observation tower in Liverpool, England, built in 1969 and opened by Queen Elizabeth II. It was designed by James A. Roberts Associates in Birmingham. It is 138 metres tall, and is the second tallest free-standing building in Liverpool and the 32nd tallest in the United Kingdom.When considering the height of the building, however, it has a 10m long antenna on the roof, making it the highest structure in Liverpool .HistorySt. John's Beacon (1969 - 1999)Near the top of the tower was a revolving restaurant, the facade and floor of the restaurant revolving as one unit, while the roof of the restaurant was used as an observation platform for visitors. There are 558 stairs up to the top, and two lift shafts which reach the top in 30 seconds.The tower is structurally independent of the adjacent shopping centre, with a simple foundation onto sandstone. The foundation is 60 feet in diameter, 17 feet deep and begins 40 feet below Houghton Street. It has a tapering shaft that was built using slip-formed concrete. The crows nest structure at the top was then added after the shaft was formed. The original restaurant closed in 1979 for health and safety issues. It was re-opened, with a reduced capacity and additional fire prevention measures, during the early 1980s. The restaurant was eventually re-fitted as a "Buck Rogers" space-themed restaurant in 1983, but closed again due to lack of business. After this the observation deck and the restaurant remained closed.

Tower Buildings, Liverpool
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
water street
Liverpool, United Kingdom L3 1

Tower Buildings is a former office block in the city of Liverpool, Merseyside, England. It stands with its longer front on the east side of the Strand, and extends round the corner into Water Street. The building is located directly opposite the Royal Liver Building, which was designed by the same architect. Earlier buildings on the site have been a sandstone mansion, and a later fortified house known as the Tower of Liverpool. After this was demolished in 1819, it was replaced in 1846 by the first structure to be named Tower Buildings. The present structure is one of the earliest steel-framed buildings in England, and details of its architecture reflect the earlier fortified building on the site. It has been converted into apartments, and into units for commercial and retail use.HistoryThe building stands on a historic site in the city. The first structure on the site had been a sandstone mansion, built in 1256 on the shore of the River Mersey. Its first owner is not known, but by 1360 it was owned by Sir Robert Lathom. By beginning of the 15th century it was owned by Sir John Stanley. In 1406 Sir John gained permission from King Henry V build a fortified house, which was named the Tower of Liverpool. The Stanley family later became the Earls of Derby. By 1737 the house was being leased from the Earl of Derby by Liverpool Corporation. In 1745 part of it was converted into a prison, and the upper rooms were used for civic functions. In 1774 the Corporation bought the building outright. A new prison was built in Great Howard Street, and the building ceased to be used for this purpose in 1811. It was demolished in 1819 to allow widening of Water Street. The site was used for a row of warehouses, until in 1846 the first structure to be known as Tower Buildings was built to a design by Sir James Picton. The present building was designed in 1906 by Walter Aubrey Thomas, and its construction was completed in 1910. Thomas also designed the Royal Liver Building. Tower Buildings was one of the first steel-framed buildings in England. In 2006 it was converted into apartments, and into units for commercial and retail use.

Breakout Liverpool
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
7-11 Sir Thomas Street
Liverpool, United Kingdom L1 6BW

01512271765

St George's Hall, Liverpool
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
St George's Place
Liverpool, United Kingdom L1 1

151-2333020

St George's Hall is on Lime Street in the centre of the English city of Liverpool, opposite Lime Street railway station. It is a building in Neoclassical style which contains concert halls and law courts, and is recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade I listed building. On the east side of the hall, between it and the railway station, is St George's Plateau and on the west side are St John's Gardens. The hall is included in the William Brown Street conservation area.In 1969 the architectural historian Nikolaus Pevsner expressed his opinion that it is one of the finest neo-Grecian buildings in the world although the building is known for its use of Roman sources as well as Greek ones. In 2004, the hall and its surrounding area were recognised as part of Liverpool's World Heritage Site.HistoryThe site of the hall was formerly occupied by the first Liverpool Infirmary from 1749 to 1824. Triennial music festivals were held in the city but there was no suitable hall to accommodate them. Following a public meeting in 1836 a company was formed to raise subscriptions for a hall in Liverpool to be used for the festivals, and for meetings, dinners and concerts. Shares were made available at £25 each and by January 1837 £23,350 had been raised. In 1838 the foundation stone was laid to commemorate the coronation of Queen Victoria.

Liverpool Empire Theatre
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Lime Street
Liverpool, United Kingdom L1 1

151-7071656

Liverpool Empire Theatre is a theatre located on the corner of Lime Street and London Road in Liverpool, Merseyside, England. The theatre is the second to be built on the site, and was opened in 1925. It has the largest two-tier auditorium in Britain and can seat 2,348 people. During its time it has hosted many types of entertainment, including variety shows, musicals, operas, pop concerts, and plays. The Beatles appeared in the theatre in their early days. The theatre has hosted two Royal Command Performances and in 2007, a Royal Variety Performance to mark Liverpool's being designated a European City of Culture the following year. It is sited in the William Brown Street Conservation Area.HistoryThe first theatre on the site opened on 15 October 1866 and was named the "New Prince of Wales Theatre and Opera House". It was at that time Liverpool's largest theatre. On 29 July 1867 its name was changed to the "Royal Alexandra Theatre and Opera House" in honour of Princess Alexandra, Princess of Wales. The theatre closed in 1894, but was re-opened the following year under the ownership of Empire Theatre (Liverpool) Ltd. In 1896 the theatre was sold to Messrs. Moss and Thornton for £30,000, and renamed "The Empire". This theatre closed on 16 February 1924, and it was demolished.

Liverpool Magistrates' Court
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
107 Dale St
Liverpool, United Kingdom L2 2

151-2435500

The Magistrates' Courts is a court building on Dale Street, Liverpool. It is a Grade II listed building designed by John Weightman built between 1857-1859. Until the 1970s buildings in Great Crosshall Street were used for juvenile court hearings until a new purpose-built complex was opened accessible from Hatton Garden. There are also courtrooms in Victoria Street which are mostly used for hearing road traffic cases. They are operated by Her Majesty's Courts Service.In 2007 it was announced that the Dale Street building will close to be replaced by a new purpose built set of courts. Approval for the project was given, with a budget of £35m, for a new complex to be built in the city centre, comprising 14 adult courtrooms, with a projected completion date of 2012.

World Museum Liverpool
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
William Brown Street
Liverpool, United Kingdom L3 8EN

0151 478 4393

Liverpool Central Library
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
William Brown Street
Liverpool, United Kingdom L3 8E

0151 233 3069

Liverpool Central Library is the largest of the 22 libraries in Liverpool, England, situated in the centre of the city.BuildingsThe library is located in several adjoining historic buildings on the city's historic William Brown Street. The library's first building was the William Brown Library and Museum building which was completed in 1860 and which it has always shared with the city's museum, now known as World Museum Liverpool. The library was then extended further to the right with the addition in 1879 of the Picton Reading Room and to the rear with the Hornby Library in 1906. All three of these buildings are Grade II* listed buildings and are built in a classical style similar to other buildings on the street.RebuildingIn May 2008 it was announced that some of the complex of buildings that hold the Central Library were to be demolished and replaced with modern buildings suitable for use with modern IT services. The historic buildings in the complex would be refurbished to provide modern facilities and was designed by the Architects Austin-Smith:Lord. In October 2009 the proposed rebuild was shown to the public.The main library building on William Brown Street closed on 23 July 2010, while closed, a temporary service operated from next door, on the second floor of Liverpool World Museum. It re-opened to the public on Friday 17 May 2013.