The Royal Courts of Justice, commonly called the Law Courts, is a court building in London which houses both the High Court and Court of Appeal of England and Wales. Designed by George Edmund Street, who died before it was completed, it is a large grey stone edifice in the Victorian Gothic style built in the 1870s and opened by Queen Victoria in 1882. It is one of the largest courts in Europe. It is located on the Strand within the City of Westminster, near the border with the City of London (Temple Bar). It is surrounded by the four Inns of Court, King's College London and the London School of Economics. The nearest London Underground stations are Chancery Lane and Temple.The courts within the building are open to the public, although there may be some restrictions depending upon the nature of the cases being heard. Those in court who do not have legal representation may receive some assistance within the building. There is a citizens' advice bureau based within the Main Hall which provides free, confidential and impartial advice by appointment to anyone who is a litigant in person in the courts. There is also a Personal Support Unit where litigants in person can receive emotional support and practical information about court proceedings.
Her Majesty’s Coroner for the Inner West London is Dr Paul Knapman D.L .
What is the role of the Coroner?
The role of the Coroner is to record and investigate all sudden, unexpected and violent deaths and deaths whilst in lawful custody. You must report a sudden, violent or unexpected death to the Coroners Office.
What happens when a death is reported to the Coroner?
The Coroner may order a post-mortem examination to discover the cause of death. The Coroner may also hold an inquest, which is an investigation into the circumstances leading up to the death.
What is the function of an inquest?
The function of an inquest is to record:
* Who the deceased was
* When, where and how he or she came by the medical cause of death
A conclusion is reached and the Coroner records the details required for the registration of the death. It is not the function of an inquest to determine any question of civil or criminal liability on the part of a named person.
HM Coroner: . Dr Paul Knapman
Deputy Coroner: Dr Shirley Radcliffe
Assistant Deputy Coroners: Dr Anthony Barton
Mr Robert Prescott
The Rev. Dr William Dolman
The Rt.Hon. Lord Justice Scott Baker
The Rt.Hon. Lady Justice Heather Hallett
Inner West London Coroner`s district deals with deaths within the City of /Westminster and the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea at Westminster Coroner`s Court. Deaths in the London boroughs of Wandsworth and Merton are dealt with at the Battersea Coroner`s office.
Telephone office hours (Mon – Fri):
8.30am – 1.00 pm
2.00pm – 3.30pm
The City of Westminster Magistrates' Court was a magistrates' court located at 70 Horseferry Road, in the City of Westminster, London. It was originally called Horseferry Road Magistrates' Court, after the road in which it was sited. However, it was renamed in July 2006 following the closure of Bow Street Magistrates' Court. It served as the court where the Chief Magistrate of England and Wales sat, and all extradition and terrorism-related cases passed through the court. The court closed permanently on 22 September 2011, and was replaced on 27 September 2011 with Westminster Magistrates' Court, built on the site of Marylebone Magistrates' Court at 181 Marylebone Road.The court pictured has since been demolished, and replaced with a development of flats.HistoryThe court building, designed by C. A. Legerton and opened in 1974, was functional and "of minimal personality and minimal expression of function and purpose", according to Pevsner. It was opened as one of a series of three larger court houses, with the others at Camberwell Green and Highbury Corner. It had four courtrooms as opened and a further two were later added. The central location and proximity to New Scotland Yard caused the court to be involved in a number of high-profile cases.
The Inner London Sessions House Crown Court, more commonly known as the Inner London Crown Court and distinct from the Inner London Magistrates Court, is a Crown Court building in London, United Kingdom. It is located in the Sessions House on Newington Causeway at the corner of Harper Road in the Newington area of the London Borough of Southwark in south London. There has been a judicial building on the site since 1794.
The Sessions House was opened in 1917 and had replaced the Middlesex Sessions House in Clerkenwell Green by 1921. From the creation of the County of London in 1889 until 1913 work had been shared between the Middlesex Sessions House and an earlier building at the Newington site. The building was designated as a Crown Court venue in 1971 and was extended in 1974 to provide ten courts.
Newington Gardens are immediately to the south east, formerly the location of Horsemonger Lane Gaol.
The Supreme Court of the United Kingdom is the supreme court in all matters under English and Welsh law, Northern Ireland law and Scottish civil law. It is the court of last resort and the highest appellate court in the United Kingdom, although the High Court of Justiciary remains the court of last resort for criminal law in Scotland. The Supreme Court also has jurisdiction to resolve disputes relating to devolution in the United Kingdom and concerning the legal powers of the three devolved governments (in Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland) or laws made by the devolved legislatures.The Supreme Court was established by Part 3 of the Constitutional Reform Act 2005 and started work on 1 October 2009. It assumed the judicial functions of the House of Lords, which had been exercised by the Lords of Appeal in Ordinary (commonly called "Law Lords"), the 12 judges appointed as members of the House of Lords to carry out its judicial business. Its jurisdiction over devolution matters had previously been exercised by the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council.
The Middlesex Guildhall is the home of the Supreme Court of the United Kingdom and of the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council. It stands on the south-west corner of Parliament Square in London.HistoryThe location in Parliament Square was the site of the belfry of Westminster Abbey and it was used as a market from 1750 to 1800. The justices of the City and Liberty of Westminster took it over and an octagonal guildhall with a Doric portico was constructed by Samuel Pepys Cockerell in 1805. In 1889 Westminster became part of the County of London, outside the county of Middlesex. In the division of property between the Middlesex and London county councils, the guildhall at Westminster went to Middlesex in exchange for the Middlesex Sessions House in Clerkenwell. A neo-Tudor guildhall was constructed on the site in 1893 by F. H. Pownall.The current building was built between 1912 and 1913, designed by J. S. Gibson, in what Pevsner called an "art nouveau gothic" style, and decorated with medieval-looking gargoyles and other architectural sculptures by Henry Charles Fehr. The county council and the Middlesex sessions were abolished in 1965 and the Guildhall continued to be used by the Greater London Quarter Sessions. After the abolition of the Quarter Sessions it was used as a Crown Court centre.
La Central Criminal Court, in Inghilterra, conosciuta con il nome di Old Bailey è un edificio al centro di Londra, che assieme ad altri ospita la Corte della Corona, il Tribunale Penale Centrale di Londra, che giudica i principali casi criminali della Grande Londra e, in via eccezionale, di altre parti dell'Inghilterra. Sorge nel luogo nel quale si trovava la Prigione medievale di Newgate, in una strada denominata Old Bailey, che segue il percorso delle mura fortificate della City (dette bailey) e che ha dato il nome alla corte.Si trova tra Holborn Circus e la Cattedrale di Saint Paul.StoriaLa corte originale medioevale era situata presso le mura occidentale della City, ma venne distrutta dal grande incendio di Londra nel 1666. Venne ricostruita nel 1673, in un edificio a tre piani di tipo Open Air, per evitare che uno spazio chiuso aumentasse la propagazione di malattie come il tifo, che era diffuso tra i prigionieri.
The Central Criminal Court of England and Wales, commonly known as the Old Bailey from the street on which it stands, is a court in London and one of a number of buildings housing the Crown Court. Part of the present building stands on the site of the medieval Newgate gaol, on a road named Old Bailey which follows the line of the City of London's fortified wall (or bailey), which runs from Ludgate Hill to the junction of Newgate Street and Holborn Viaduct.The Crown Court sitting at the Central Criminal Court deals with major criminal cases from within Greater London and, in exceptional cases, from other parts of England and Wales. Trials at the Old Bailey, as at other courts, are open to the public; however, they are subject to stringent security procedures.HistoryThe court originated as the sessions house of the Lord Mayor and Sheriffs of the City of London and of Middlesex. The original medieval court was first mentioned in 1585; it was next to the older Newgate gaol, and seems to have grown out of the endowment to improve the gaol and rooms for the Sheriffs, made possible by a gift from Richard Whittington. It was destroyed in the Great Fire of London in 1666 and rebuilt in 1674, with the court open to the weather to prevent the spread of disease.
The Shell Centre, in London, is one of the two central offices of oil major Shell (the other is in The Hague). It is located on Belvedere Road in the London Borough of Lambeth. It is a prominent feature on the South Bank of the River Thames near County Hall, and now forms the backdrop to the London Eye.The current Shell Centre comprises the tower building and three adjoining nine-storey wings (collectively formerly known as the "Upstream Building"). The original development also included a separate building known as the "Downstream Building", which was separated from the Upstream Building by the railway viaduct between Charing Cross and Waterloo East. The Downstream Building was disposed of by Shell in the 1990s and is now a block of residential apartments known as the White House, and has been heightened by a storey.Site history and layoutThe Shell Centre occupies part of the site cleared for the 1951 Festival of Britain. The areas closer to the River Thames now include Jubilee Gardens and the South Bank Centre. Jubilee Gardens remained undeveloped prior to its laying out as an open space, largely because of a restrictive covenant in favour of Shell that restricts any building on the part of the site directly between the Shell Tower and the River Thames. The naming of the Shell Centre buildings perpetuated the split of the Festival site into distinct Upstream and Downstream areas – separated by the railway viaduct approach to Hungerford Bridge.
Jubilee Gardens Distance: 0.7 miTourist Information Belvedere Road London, United Kingdom SE1 7
Southwark is a London Underground station in the London Borough of Southwark at the corner of Blackfriars Road and The Cut. It is between and stations on the Jubilee line, and is in Travelcard Zone 1. It was opened on 20 November 1999 as part of the Jubilee Line Extension. The station is somewhat west of historic Southwark, which is served by Borough tube station and London Bridge station. Its entrance is across the street from the disused Blackfriars Road railway station.The original plan for the Extension did not include a station between those at Waterloo and London Bridge; Southwark station was added after lobbying by the local council, it is in fact sited right next to the borough's boundary with Lambeth at Joane Street. Although it is close to Waterloo, not near the Bankside attractions it was intended to serve, and its only National Rail interchange is to main line station; the passenger usage matches those of other minor central stations. It does however get over twice the traffic of nearby Borough station, and around three times that of Lambeth North.HistorySouthwark station was designed by Sir Richard MacCormac of MJP Architects. It is on a cramped site, with its platforms underneath the Victorian main line viaduct between Waterloo East and London Bridge stations. The site presented significant technical and architectural difficulties which were resolved by constructing two concourses at different levels.
Palestra (Transport for London) Distance: 0.8 miTourist Information 197 Blackfriars Road London, United Kingdom SE1 8NJ
This is a Transport for London building and is not open to the public.
Arrows Group is a specialist recruitment company that provides technical staff to the TMT (Technology, Media & Telecommunications) and Capital Markets sectors. We work with over 450 organisations on a global basis from offices based in the UK and Europe and have recently been named as the 5th Fastest Growing Recruitment Company in Europe (Recruiter Fast 50 2012)
The Kings Arms located in the architecturally wonderful backstreets of Waterloo, a quintessential real ale pub in one of the most historic streets in London.
We have nine real ale pumps and a constantly evolving beer list which makes the Kings Arms a unique experience, we have beers from Dark Star, Ringwood, Adnams, Brains to name a few, we source new and inspired brews from local to far afield.
Our multi-winning “pub of the year” site is about as traditional as traditional pubs get, but with a Thai twist coming out of its popular kitchen too.
Azzurro Waterloo Distance: 0.6 miTourist Information Arches 146 Sutton Walk London, United Kingdom SE1 7ND