EuroZoid
Discover The Most Popular Places In Europe

Appartement du roi, Versailles | Tourist Information


Château de Versailles
Versailles, France


The appartement du roi or King's Apartment is the suite of rooms in the Palace of Versailles that served as the living quarters of Louis XIV. Overlooking the Marble Court. The number was reduced to seven after 1701 and to six in 1755.''Vestibule''The vestibule is paneled in marble and lighted by two windows that opened onto the cour royale. In 1701, in order to provide more light to the staircase, the south wall opposite the windows was opened, thus creating a loggia from the vestibule. During the latter part of Louis XIV’s reign, the Queen’s staircase and the vestibule served as entrance to the appartement du roi, the grand appartement de la reine, and the apartment of Madame de Maintenon.

Art Museum Near Appartement du roi

Château de Versailles
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Château de Versailles
Versailles, 78140

+33 (0) 1 30 83 78 00

Palace of Versailles
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Place d'armes
Versailles, 78000

(33) 01 30 83 78 00

Le château de Versailles est un château et un monument historique français qui se situe à Versailles, dans les Yvelines, en France. Il fut la résidence des rois de France Louis XIV, Louis XV et Louis XVI. Le roi et la cour y résidèrent de façon permanente du au, à l'exception des années de la Régence de 1715 à 1723.Situés au sud-ouest de Paris, ce château et son domaine visaient à glorifier la monarchie française.Le château est constitué d'une succession d'éléments ayant une harmonie architecturale. Il s'étale sur, répartis en pièces, dont, actuellement, pièces de musée.Le parc du château de Versailles s'étend sur, contre environ avant la Révolution française, dont de jardins. Il comprend de nombreux éléments, dont le Petit et le Grand Trianon, le hameau de la Reine, le Grand et le Petit Canal, une ménagerie (aujourd’hui détruite), une orangerie et la pièce d'eau des Suisses.

Hall of Mirrors
Distance: 0.0 mi Tourist Information
Chateau de Versailles
Versailles, 78000

01 30 83 78 00

The Hall of Mirrors is the central gallery of the Palace of Versailles in Versailles, France.As the principal and most remarkable feature of King Louis XIV of France's third building campaign of the Palace of Versailles, construction of the Hall of Mirrors began in 1678. To provide for the Hall of Mirrors as well as the salon de la guerre and the salon de la paix, which connect the grand appartement du roi with the grand appartement de la reine, architect Jules Hardouin Mansart appropriated three rooms from each apartment as well as the terrace that separated the two apartments.The principal feature of this hall is the seventeen mirror-clad arches that reflect the seventeen arcaded windows that overlook the gardens. Each arch contains twenty-one mirrors with a total complement of 357 used in the decoration of the galerie des glaces. The arches themselves are fixed between marble pilasters whose capitals depict the symbols of France. These gilded bronze capitals include the fleur-de-lys and the Gallic cockerel or rooster. Many of the other attributes of the Hall of Mirrors were lost to war for financial purposes, such as the silver table pieces and guéridons, which were melted by order of Louis XIV in 1689 to finance the War of the League of Augsburg.ConstructionIn the 17th century, mirrors were among the most expensive items to possess at the time; the Venetian Republic held the monopoly on the manufacture of mirrors. In order to maintain the integrity of his philosophy of mercantilism, which required that all items used in the decoration of Versailles be made in France, Jean-Baptiste Colbert enticed several workers from Venice to make mirrors at the Manufacture royale de glaces de miroirs. According to legend, in order to keep its monopoly, the government of the Venetian Republic sent agents to France to poison the workers whom Colbert had brought to France.

Musée Lambinet
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
54, boulevard de la Reine
Versailles, 78000

01 39 50 30 32

The Musée Lambinet is a municipal museum in Versailles telling the history of the town. Since 1932 it has been housed in the hôtel Lambinet, a hôtel particulier designed by Élie Blanchard, built in the second half of the 18th century by a part of the Clagny lake (drained in 1837) and left to the town of Versailles by the heirs of Victor Lambinet (a cousin of the painter Émile Lambinet) in 1929. It has been classed as a monument historique since 1944. Its garden façade has a sculpted pediment representing an allegorical figure of architecture.The museum has 35 rooms, some with period decor, in which collections on the town's history are displayed, such as furniture, ceramics and objets d'art as well as historic plans of the town and paintings, sculptures and other works of art by artists from the town (notably works by Jean-Antoine Houdon).PaintingsThe catalogue lists 542 works, plus 8 deposited at the municipal library and 2 at the hôtel de ville. Bibliography Peintures du musée Lambinet à Versailles, ed. Somogy et Musée Lambinet, 2005, s. l. (Italy), ISBN 2-85056-938-0.

Landmark and Historical Place Near Appartement du roi

Parc Balbi
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
17 rue du maréchal Joffre
Versailles, France 78000

Le parc Balbi est un parc de type anglais, situé à côté du potager du roi à Versailles, en France. Son accès est libre et son entrée se situe rue du Maréchal Joffre.Faune et floreLe Balbi, constitue l'habitat de nombreuses espèces faunistiques : palmipèdes, petits carnassiers : renards, fouines, hérissons, des odonates, lépidoptères, hyménoptères, oiseaux, reptiles : couleuvres, lézards verts… Il apporte la nature en ville et peut être un lieu pédagogique d'observation.Chronologie du parc BalbiAvant 1730, l'emplacement du parc Balbi était un boisement appartenant à différents propriétaires.En 1785, le comte de Provence (frère du roi Louis XVI et futur Louis XVIII) achète un ensemble de parcelles afin de réaliser un jardin d'agrément de type irrégulier, sorte de petite retraite champêtre, où le comte pouvait recevoir ses intimes et sa maîtresse en titre, Anne de Caumont La Force, comtesse de Balbi. Le jardin est dessiné par l'architecte Jean-François-Thérèse Chalgrin. Un relevé est effectué par Du Caille : sur ce plan on peut découvrir le pavillon de Monsieur (au sud de la parcelle), une pièce d'eau prolongée par une rivière, un amas de pierre constituant une grotte surmontée d'un belvédère, quelques fabriques, des réservoirs ainsi qu'une serre chaude.

Potager du roi
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
10, rue du Maréchal Joffre
Versailles, France 78000

+33 (1) 39 24 62 62

The potager du Roi, near the Palace of Versailles, produced fresh vegetables and fruits for the table of the court of Louis XIV. It was created between 1678 and 1683 by Jean-Baptiste de La Quintinie, the director of the royal fruit and vegetable gardens. Today it is run by the École Nationale Supérieure du Paysage, the high state school in France for the training of landscape architects. It is listed by the French Ministry of Culture as one of the Remarkable Gardens of France by the Comité des Parcs et Jardins de France. It is currently under the direction of Antoine Jacobsohn.HistoryThe Potager du roi under Louis XIVThe finished garden looked very much as it looks today. It covered twenty-five acres (nine hectares), with a circular pond and fountain in the center, surrounded by a Grand Carré, a large square made up of sixteen squares of vegetables. Around this was a raised terrace from which the King could watch the gardeners work. A high wall surrounded the Grand Carré, and behind the wall were twenty-nine enclosed gardens, with fruit trees and vegetables. The careful arrangement of the different chambers of the gardens created individual microclimates, which allowed La Quintinie to grow fruits and vegetables out of their usual season.In his Instruction pour les jardins fruitiers et potagers, on the results obtained by his use of different types of manure, he wrote:"la chaleur, tant dans la terre que dans l’air ne peut régulièrement venir que des rayons du soleil. J’ose dire pourtant que j’ai été assez heureux pour l’imiter en petit à l’égard de quelques petits fruits : j’en ai fait mûrir cinq et six semaines devant le temps, par exemple des fraises à la fin mars, des précoces, et des pois en avril, des figues en juin, des asperges et des laitues pommées en décembre, janvier..."

Manège boomerang A.Thinel
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Avenue
Paris, France 75000

LoKa Sato
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
versailles
Camp de Satory, France 78000

0663606133

La location de matériel entre particuliers Besoin d'une remorque pour un déménagement ? D'un souffleur à feuilles pour nettoyer son allée ? D'une soudeuse pour colmater une canalisation ? Ou d'une console le temps d'un mariage ? Au lieu d'acheter du matériel qui ne vous servira que rarement et qui encombrera garage et remise, louez ! C'est une solution pratique, économique et écologique...

Salle du Jeu de paume
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Rue du jeu de Paume
Versailles, France 78000

La salle du Jeu de paume est située rue du Jeu de paume, au cœur du quartier Saint-Louis, à Versailles (Yvelines). Elle est célèbre pour le serment du Jeu de paume qu'y prêtèrent les députés du Tiers état le 20 juin 1789.Le jeu de Paume à VersaillesCette salle, que l'on nommait à l'époque « tripot », fut construite par Nicolas Creté en 1686. Le roi Louis XIV, ainsi que d'autres personnages de la Cour, y ont joué au jeu de paume, jeu très populaire à l'époque et ancêtre du tennis actuel. À noter qu'il y avait plusieurs salles de ce genre à Paris, et que les roturiers ne pouvaient pas participer.

Hôtel de ville de Versailles
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
4 avenue de Paris
Versailles, France 78000

L’hôtel de ville de Versailles tel qu'il existe aujourd'hui a été construit au tournant du. Décidée en 1897 sur ordre du maire de l'époque Édouard Lefebvre, sa construction est confiée à l'architecte Henri Legrand. Il a été inauguré le 18 novembre 1900.Histoire de l'édificeC’est en 1670, à l’initiative de Bernardin Gigault de Bellefonds et maréchal de France (1630 - 1694), gouverneur des chenils et de la louveterie du Roi, que s’élève à l'actuel 4 de l'avenue de Paris, une très belle demeure dont les jardins s’étendent jusqu’au parc du château. Face à lui, de l’autre côté de l’avenue, l’hôtel du Grand Veneur, aujourd’hui disparu, lui donne la réplique avec une égale magnificence. Mais les travaux de construction des Écuries Royales (actuelle école nationale d'architecture de Versailles) privant le maréchal de sa royale perspective, il vend son hôtel au chevalier de Lorraine. Louis XIV l’acquiert en 1680 pour Louis de Bourbon, comte de Vermandois, son fils légitimé, qui meurt prématurément trois ans plus tard. La propriété revient alors à sa sœur, la princesse de Conti, qui en fait un lieu de fêtes prisé de toute la cour.

Versailles Orangerie
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
slim
Versailles, France 78000

The Versailles Orangerie (French: L′Orangerie du Château de Versailles) was built by Jules Hardouin-Mansart between 1684 and 1686, replacing Le Vaus design from 1663 - that is to say, before work on the palace had even begun. It is an example of many such prestigious extensions of grand gardens in Europe designed both to shelter tender plants and impress visitors. In the winter, the Versailles Orangerie houses more than a thousand trees in boxes. Most are citrus trees, but there are many tender Mediterranean plants including oleanders, olive, pomegranate, and palm trees. From May to October, they are put outdoors in the Parterre Bas.The allure of citrusThe sweet orange was introduced to Europe by the fifteenth or sixteenth century. At first, they were an expensive food item. Medieval cookbooks tell exactly how many orange slices a visiting dignitary was entitled to. Citrus soon became the fashion of the nobility and rich merchants. By the sixteenth century, sweet oranges had become well-established and had assumed commercial importance in Europe.In France, the first orangerie was built and stocked by Charles VIII of France at the Château of Amboise. There is general agreement that the arrival of the sweet orange in Europe was linked with the activities of the Portuguese during the fifteenth century, and particularly by Vasco de Gama's voyages to the East. Although the Romans had been acquainted with lemons and probably sour oranges as well as citrons, the different types - sour oranges, lemons and sweet oranges - reached Europe centuries apart. By withholding water and nutrients, and by using pruning techniques, French gardeners were able to make citrus trees bloom throughout the year, to the delight of Louis XIV. Citrus motifs formed themes in sculpture, mosaics, embroidery, weaving, paintings, poems, and songs throughout history, and orange blossoms remain prized as floral ornaments at weddings.

Statue équestre de Louis XIV
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Place d'Armes
Versailles, France 78000

Cette statue équestre de Louis XIV est une statue équestre en bronze de Louis XIV située sur la place d'Armes devant le château de Versailles. Jusqu'en 2008-2009, elle se trouvait dans la cour d'Honneur.HistoriqueCette statue a été dessinée par Pierre Cartellier. À sa mort en 1831, seul le cheval — initialement dessiné pour une statue équestre de Louis XV commandée en 1816 par Louis XVIII pour la place de la Concorde à Paris et qui finalement ne sera pas réalisée — était achevé. Le cavalier est l'œuvre de Louis Petitot, gendre de Cartelier. Le tout est fondu en bronze par Charles Crozatier en 1838. Les proportions des statues du cheval et du roi sont légèrement différentes.Érigée d'abord dans la cour d'honneur du château de Versailles, elle a été démontée en février 2006 à l'occasion de la reconstruction de la grille royale de cette cour. La restauration d'un coût de euros a été réalisée par la Fonderie de Coubertin. Elle a été remontée le 21 avril 2009 sur la place d'Armes du château de Versailles, c'est-à-dire directement devant le château.

Grande Écurie
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Place d'Armes
Versailles, France 78000

La Grande Écurie est un bâtiment qui se trouve à Versailles (Yvelines), sur la place d'Armes, en face du château, entre les avenues de Saint-Cloud et de Paris. Constituant avec la Petite Écurie les Écuries royales (institution faisant travailler un millier de personnes sous Louis XIV), elle a été construite sous la direction de l'architecte Jules Hardouin-Mansart et achevée en 1682.Dotée d'un manège, elle abritait les chevaux de chasse et de guerre du roi.HistoireIdentique à la Petite Écurie, dont elle est séparée par l’Avenue de Paris, sous l'Ancien Régime, elle se trouvait sous les ordres du Grand écuyer de France et abritait l'école des pages du roi, réservée aux fils des familles de la noblesse militaire dont l'ancienneté remontait à au moins 1550, ainsi que les montures réservées au roi et aux princes dont les pages assuraient le service. La réception comme page du roi en sa Grande écurie était, pour une famille, un honneur qui venait juste après celui des Honneurs de la Cour. Lorsque le roi devait se déplacer à la nuit tombée à Versailles dans le château ou les jardins, il revenait à six pages de sa Grande écurie, portant chacun flambeau, de le précéder, lui ouvrant la route et lui éclairant le chemin.

Palace of Versailles
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Place d'Armes 78000 Versailles, France
Versailles, France 78140

01 39 490518

The Palace of Versailles, Château de Versailles, or simply Versailles, is a royal château in Versailles in the Île-de-France region of France.When the château was built, Versailles was a small village dating from the 11th century; today, however, it is a wealthy suburb of Paris, some 20 kilometres (12 miles) southwest of the centre of the French capital, which surrounded Louis XIII's original building on the north, south, and west (the garden side). After Le Vau's death in 1670, the work was taken over and completed by his assistant, François d'Orbay. Charles Le Brun designed and supervised the elaborate interior decoration, and André Le Nôtre landscaped the extensive Gardens of Versailles. Le Brun and Le Nôtre collaborated on the numerous fountains, and Le Brun supervised the design and installation of countless statues.

Versaille
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Place d'Armes
Versailles, France 78390

01 30 83 78 00

Royal Opera of Versailles
Distance: 0.1 mi Tourist Information
Château de Versailles
Versailles, France 78000

01 30 83 78 89

The Royal Opera of Versailles is the main theatre and opera house of the Palace of Versailles. Designed by Ange-Jacques Gabriel, it is also known as the Théâtre Gabriel. The interior decoration by Augustin Pajou is constructed almost entirely of wood, painted to resemble marble in a technique known as faux marble. The excellent acoustics of the opera house are at least partly due to its wooden interior.The house is located at the northern extremity of the north wing of the palace. General public access to the theater is gained through the two-story vestibule. Some parts of the Opéra, such as the King's Loge and the King's Boudoir represent some of the earliest expressions of what would become known as Louis XVI style.Lully’s Persée — written in 1682, the year Louis XIV moved into the palace — inaugurated the Opéra on 16 May 1770 in celebration of the marriage of the dauphin — the future Louis XVI — to Marie-Antoinette.The Opéra Royal can serve either as a theater for opera, stage plays, or orchestral events, when it can accommodate an audience of 712, or as a ballroom, when the floor of the orchestra level of the auditorium can be raised to the level of the stage. On these occasions, the Opéra can accommodate 1,200.

L'atelier cuisine de Patricia
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
4 rue André Chenier
Versailles, France 78000

01 71 42 82 42

Bassin d'Apollo
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Place d'Armes, Chateau de Versailles
Versailles, France 78000

Le Bassin d'Apollo is a fountain at the Palace of Versailles, France. Charles Le Brun designed the centerpiece depicting the Greek god Apollo rising from the sea in a four-horse chariot. A pond was dug on the site of the fountain in 1639 called "The Pond of the Swans". When King Louis XIV had it enlarged in 1671, the pond's east-west orientation and the common association of the King with Apollo prompted Le Brun to suggest dedicating the site to Apollo. The dawn theme was popular at the time and appears on some painted ceilings in European palaces. The fountain was constructed between 1668 and 1671.

Parc de Versailles
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
78000 Versailles, France
Versailles, France 78000

Le parc de Versailles, également appelé parc du château de Versailles, est un parc qui s'étend sur sur le territoire de la commune de Versailles, dans les Yvelines en France. Le parc représente en superficie environ un dixième de l'ancien domaine royal, réserve de chasse des rois, appelé le « Grand Parc », dont l'emprise a été sensiblement réduite à la Révolution, et qui est gérée par l'établissement public du château et du domaine de Versailles.Dans ce parc entièrement clos, se trouvent plusieurs monuments, tels : le château de Versailles, le Petit Trianon et le Grand Trianon, le Hameau de la Reine, ainsi que les jardins à la française du château de Versailles créés par André Le Nôtre. Le parc regroupe également les jardins des Trianons, dont le jardin de style anglo-chinois de Marie-Antoinette, le potager du roi et deux grandes pièces d'eau : le Grand Canal et la pièce d'eau des Suisses.Le reste du parc est occupé par des parcelles forestières ou agricoles, parcourues par de grandes allées rectilignes. C'est dans ce parc que prend naissance le ru de Gally qui draine le Grand Canal et s'écoule vers l'Ouest. Le parc est limité à l'Est par les parties urbanisées de Versailles et du Chesnay, au Nord par l'arboretum de Chèvreloup situé dans la commune de Rocquencourt et à l'Ouest par la plaine de Versailles qui est un site classé. Au Sud, adossées au bois de Satory, qui appartient à la forêt domaniale de Versailles, se trouvent diverses implantations, dont le centre de recherche de l'INRA, qui occupe les terrains de l'ancienne ferme de la Ménagerie, la résidence de la Lanterne et le camp militaire des Matelots.