Albany Courtyard, Piccadilly London, United Kingdom W1J 0DS
The Albany, or simply Albany, is an apartment complex in Piccadilly, London.BuildingThe Albany was built in 1770–74 by Sir William Chambers for the newly created 1st Viscount Melbourne as Melbourne House. It is a three-storey mansion, seven bays (windows) wide, with a pair of service wings flanking a front courtyard. In 1791, Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany abandoned Dover House, Whitehall (now a government office), and took up residence. In 1802 the Duke in turn gave up the house and it was converted by Henry Holland into 69 bachelor apartments (known as "sets"). This was achieved by subdividing the main block and its two service wings, and by adding two new parallel long buildings covering most of the garden, running as far as a new rear gate building on Burlington Gardens. Holland's new buildings of 1802-3 flank a covered walkway supported on thin iron columns and with an upswept roof. The blocks are white painted render in a simpler Regency style than Chambers' work. Most sets are accessed off common staircases without doors, like Oxbridge colleges and the Inns of Court.HistorySince its conversion, the Albany has been a prestigious set of bachelor apartments in London. The residents have included such famous names as the poet Lord Byron and the future Prime Minister William Ewart Gladstone, and numerous members of the aristocracy.
Pimlico is the best place to rent a Flat or Studio in Central London, with the prestigious SW1 postcode, quiet and crime free, yet flush with local facilities and transport links.http://www.pimlico-flats.co.uk/
For short term term or serviced accommodation requirements.
At Apartments of London we offer high quality and custom hospitality services for the short term and holiday lets market. We cater to a wide range of customers from the government, corporate and leisure sectors through our network of stylish and well-maintained apartments, all situated within minutes’ distance from key London attractions such as the Houses of Parliament, Hyde Park, London Eye and Tower of London.
We offer our guests self-catering apartments that come fully fitted with modern amenities such as Wi-Fi, digital TV, washing machine, dishwasher and contemporary design kitchens.
Be it a business trip or a short weekend to soak in the city’s culture, we know what it takes to ensure our guests have a relaxed and comfortable stay.
Our client base is extensive and includes government officials, companies like Saatchi Saatchi, Google and BHP Billiton, as well as tourists from around the world who want to experience the whole of London culture.
Our properties are conveniently located in London's Victoria district, from where you can get a direct train to and from Gatwick and Heathrow Airports. Victoria Train Station has regular services to Brighton and the underground will take you anywhere within London, although with most major London attractions right on your doorstep you won't have to travel far to see the sights.
Apartments of London are also happy to provide you with a brief guide of the major London attractions, including some local knowledge that will you find invaluable during your stay.
- Chance to rent an exquisite property in a highly sought after area.
- Close to all main London attractions.
- Service with a personal-touch.
- The ultimate, luxury city break.
- Competitive prices. What makes Apartments of London so unique is our customer service. We have a dynamic quality control team whose main focus is to ensure that both landlords and guests are fully accommodated. Get in touch today and put the pleasure back into doing business.
Here are just a few reasons why you should consider our services:
- Guaranteed long-term leases.
- No commission or management fees.
- Maintenance, legal issues and paperwork all taken care of. You get a stress-free long-term let, without compromising on your asking price.
Marsham Street is a street in the City of Westminster in London, England. It is approximately a mile in length and runs south from Great Peter Street, near Victoria Street and Parliament Square.DescriptionMarsham Street bisects Horseferry Road and backs on to Smith Square which was home to the Conservative Party. Like many streets in the area, it has long been the location to offices of the Government of the United Kingdom and is currently home to the Home Office and the Department for Transport and the Department for Communities and Local Government. The offices include those designed by Robert Atkinson just before his death, but they are not well regarded. Along with Great Smith Street to the north, and John Islip Street to the south, it is designated the B326 in the Great Britain road numbering scheme.Marsham Street has been subject to a number of high end residential developments formed out of what used to be Westminster Hospital and associated former nursing accommodation. These developments were completed in the period 2005-2007 and are now attracting purchasers who traditionally would have sought out accommodation in Chelsea and Knightsbridge but are attracted by high specification buildings and attractive pricing by developers.
At Robert Manning we claim to be the most caring, trustworthy and efficient real estate agency in London. We select the best properties in London and the most reliable tenants. Whether you are a tenant looking for your perfect home, an investor looking for stunning and valuable properties, a landlord looking for trustful tenants or an efficient property management team, we have what you are looking for.
Elegant one bedroom apartment, for up to four guests, situated in London’s exclusive Mayfair, close to Hyde Park and Green Park.
Offering a fantastic location in the capital’s most luxurious central neighbourhood, the apartment ensures a memorable city stay. The residence boasts a fresh and modern interior that blends wooden floors with white walls, plenty of natural light and stylish furnishings. Relax and unwind in the peaceful living area, which comes equipped with a double sofa-bed and armchair, pleasant wall hangings, a coffee table, flatscreen TV and a dining table. The kitchen supplies all the essentials for preparing tasty home cooked meals, including an oven, microwave, hob, fridge, freezer and a dishwasher. A washing machine, dryer and an iron are also available. The bedroom encourages a good night’s sleep, housing a double bed and storage cupboards. Finally, the bathroom contains a washbasin, toilet, bathtub and shower. For a taste of sophisticated London living, look no further than this wonderful holiday home.
G.B Painting and Decorating Services is a family run buisiness with over 70 years combined experience to call on. We have always worked to the very highest standard on every job we undertake.
We can quote for any size job; from a simple touch up to a complete redecoration, and everything in between.
Our client base is extensive. From high end work in the city to small local contracts including offices, pubs and hotels in and around London.
We offer all services within the painting and decoration sector including wallpaper hanging, tilling, cornice instalation, water damage repairs and much more. Our team really does do it all!
G.B Painting and Decorating services have a large network of other tradesmen and we are happy to project manage a complete
re-fit from start to finish. From plasterers to plumbers, carpenters to kitchen fitters, we can arrange your whole project from start to finish at competetive rates.
All our painters and other tradesmen are fully qualified in their respective trades and have the experience that enables them to work to the very highest possible standards.
Here at G.B Painting and Decorating Services we treat every job the same as the last and no matter how large or small, we strive to offer the same level of work in everything we undertake.
Elegant one bedroom apartment, for up to two guests, located in London’s luxurious district of Mayfair.
Surrounded by chic cocktail lounges, top class restaurants and scenic green spaces, the apartment makes the perfect choice for a couple seeking a taste of exclusive London life. The lodging benefits from plenty of natural light, a fresh décor, wooden floors, stylish furnishings and a range of premium amenities. The living area features tasteful lighting, double sofa bed, a coffee table, a flatscreen TV and a beautiful fireplace. All your favourite meals from home can be prepared in the kitchen, which contains an oven, microwave, hob, fridge, freezer, a dishwasher and a dining table. The apartment also includes a washing machine, dryer, iron and board, and Wi-Fi internet. Instantly soothing, the bedroom is fitted out with a double bed with tables and lamps, and plenty of storage space. The bathroom completes the residence with a toilet, washbasin, bathtub and shower. All in all, the accommodation offers peace, style and comfort in the high class heart of the capital.
Go Native Native Appartments MayfairDistance: 0.7 miTourist Information 10-12 Lees Place London, W1K 6
Elegant two bedroom apartment, for up to six people, superbly situated in London’s famous Mayfair.
The residence boasts a privileged location amidst the city’s rich and famous, enabling instant access to a wealth of chic fashion stores, exceptional restaurants and sophisticated cocktail lounges. Perfect for a family or a group of friends, the apartment is beautifully decorated throughout and features wooden floors, fresh white walls and stylish furnishings. The attractive living area is fitted out with two sofas, a double sofa-bed, a comfy armchair, a coffee table, pleasant wall hangings, a flatscreen TV and a dining table. The kitchen is equally fashionable and includes an oven, microwave, hob, fridge, freezer, toaster, kettle and a dishwasher. The dwelling also provides a washing machine, dryer, iron and Wi-Fi internet. The two bedrooms are simple and relaxing, each equipped with a double bed and storage cupboards. The apartment enjoys the luxury of two smart bathrooms, which house a total of two toilets, two showers and one bathtub. Blending an appealing interior with a desirable neighbourhood, the accommodation makes the ultimate choice for an unforgettable London stay.
Fantastic two bedroom apartment, for up to six guests, situated in London’s exclusive Mayfair.
Perfect for a family or a group of friends, the apartment provides the ultimate city base within minutes of Oxford Street and all its surrounding stores, bars and restaurants. The lodging features a fresh and modern interior that benefits from a range of quality amenities. The living area encourages total relaxation after a busy day, supplying a double sofa-bed, two extra sofas, a coffee table, flatscreen TV and a dining table. Fully fitted for all your culinary needs, the kitchen contains an oven, microwave, hob, fridge, freezer and a dishwasher. The residence also includes a washing machine and dryer, and an iron and board. The two bedrooms share a simple elegance, housing two double beds in total plus plenty of storage space. Finally, the bathroom houses a toilet, washbasin, bathtub and shower. Wonderfully located for enjoying the best of the capital, the apartment ensures a London adventure to cherish.
Gower Street is a street in Bloomsbury, central London, running from Montague Place in the south to Euston Road at the north. The street continues as North Gower Street north of the Euston Road. To the south it becomes Bloomsbury Street.University College London (UCL) and the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art are located along Gower Street as is part of University College Hospital. UCL maintains two student residences along the street: the Arthur Tattersall and John Tovell Houses. Of the many UCL buildings along Gower Street, the Cruciform Building is especially notable, both for its striking red exterior and its obvious form, even when viewed from the road. Old boys of University College School are known as "Old Gowers" after the street where it founded and co-located with UCL.Euston Square tube station is located at the north end of Gower Street, at the corner of Euston Road.HistoryGower Street is named after Lady Gertrude Leveson-Gower, daughter of John Leveson-Gower, and who in 1737 became the second wife of Bloomsbury landowner Lord John Russell.ResidentsNotable residents of Gower Street have included the architect George Dance the Younger, painter William de Morgan, and the Shaws. John Shaw, Sr.,and John Shaw, Jr., formed a famous nineteenth-century architectural partnership. Thomas Budd Shaw was a professor of English literature to the grand dukes of Russia. The painter John Everett Millais had a studio here.This was also the birthplace and childhood home of the artist Philip Zec and his eleven other siblings, although that was when it was still called George Street.
Hilton Huggon TowersDistance: 1.3 miTourist Information Millman Street, Bloomsbury, London WC1 London, WC1N 3
Studios2Let Serviced Apartments is a recently renovated and modernized property located in the heart of Bloomsbury. All apartments are air-conditioned and have en-suite bathrooms.
Furnished and fully fitted with flat screen TVs and DVD players, safe box, bathroom amenities, beautifully designed kitchens, fully equipped with all modern appliances including top of the range ovens, microwaves and fridge/freeze.
All our studios come with double mattresses and our luxury bed linens will ensure a comfortable sleep.
Other facilities welcome pack, free internet, over 30 TV channels (including selection of Sky channels) 24 hour Concierge Service and CCTV, laundry room. Fob key entry system, roof terrace and communal garden and weekly maid service
The Embassy of Albania in London is the diplomatic mission of Albania in the United Kingdom.A protest was held outside the embassy in 2013 following the proposal to destroy the chemical weapons of Syria in Albania.
The City of Westminster Magistrates' Court was a magistrates' court located at 70 Horseferry Road, in the City of Westminster, London. It was originally called Horseferry Road Magistrates' Court, after the road in which it was sited. However, it was renamed in July 2006 following the closure of Bow Street Magistrates' Court. It served as the court where the Chief Magistrate of England and Wales sat, and all extradition and terrorism-related cases passed through the court. The court closed permanently on 22 September 2011, and was replaced on 27 September 2011 with Westminster Magistrates' Court, built on the site of Marylebone Magistrates' Court at 181 Marylebone Road.The court pictured has since been demolished, and replaced with a development of flats.HistoryThe court building, designed by C. A. Legerton and opened in 1974, was functional and "of minimal personality and minimal expression of function and purpose", according to Pevsner. It was opened as one of a series of three larger court houses, with the others at Camberwell Green and Highbury Corner. It had four courtrooms as opened and a further two were later added. The central location and proximity to New Scotland Yard caused the court to be involved in a number of high-profile cases.
Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Westminster Distance: 0.9 miTourist Information Ambrosden Avenue, Westminster, London SW1P 1QJ, England, Great Britain London, United Kingdom SW1P 1 020 7798 9033
The Roman Catholic Diocese of Westminster is an archdiocese of the Latin Rite of the Roman Catholic Church in England, historically however it has always been styled the Diocese of Westminster. The archdiocese consists of all of London north of the River Thames and west of the River Lea, together with the borough of Spelthorne and the county of Hertfordshire, which lies immediately to London's north.The diocese is led by the Archbishop of Westminster, who serves as pastor of the mother church, Westminster Cathedral, as well as the metropolitan bishop of the Metropolitan Province of Westminster. Since the re-establishment of the English Catholic dioceses in 1850 each Archbishop of Westminster, including the incumbent, Archbishop Vincent Gerard Nichols, has been created a cardinal by the Pope in consistory, often as the only cardinal in England. It is also customary for the Archbishop of Westminster to be elected President of the Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales providing a degree of a formal direction for the other English bishops and archbishops. However he is not formally a primate, though has special privileges conferred by the Papal Bull Si qua es. The diocese is one of the smallest dioceses in England and Wales in geographical area, but the largest in terms of Catholic population and priests. It is legally established as a diocese, though canonically an archdiocese.
Victoria Tower Gardens is a public park along the north bank of the River Thames in London. As its name suggests, it is adjacent to the Victoria Tower, the south-western corner of the Palace of Westminster. The park, which extends southwards from the Palace to Lambeth Bridge, sandwiched between Millbank and the river, also forms part of the Thames Embankment.FeaturesThe park features: A cast of the sculpture The Burghers of Calais by Auguste Rodin, purchased by the British government in 1911 and positioned in the gardens in 1915.A 1930 statue of the suffragette Emmeline Pankhurst by Arthur George WalkerThe Buxton Memorial Fountain – originally constructed in Parliament Square, this was removed in 1940 and placed in its present position in 1957. It was commissioned by Charles Buxton MP to commemorate the abolition of slavery in 1834, dedicated to his father Thomas Fowell Buxton, and designed by Gothic architect Samuel Sanders Teulon (1812–1873) in 1865. A stone wall with two modern-style goats with kids – situated at the southern end of the Gardens. From 4 to 11 August 2014 the light installation "Spectra" by Japanese artist Ryoji Ikeda was situated in the gardens to commemorate the centenary of the start of the First World War.
The Embassy of Hungary in London is the diplomatic mission of Hungary in the United Kingdom. Opposite the embassy itself can be found the Hungarian Economic, Investment & Trade Commission and the Hungarian National Tourist Office at 46 Eaton Place. A Hungarian Cultural Centre is also maintained at 10 Maiden Lane in Covent Garden.
Portland House Distance: 0.8 miTourist Information Bressenden Pl London, United Kingdom SW1E 5DS
Portland House is a skyscraper in Westminster, London. It is 101m tall with 29 floors and was completed in 1963.The building has two banks of lifts — the first serving the first up to the fifteenth floor, and the second the fifteenth floor upwards.Firms that currently use Portland House for office space include American Express, Crossrail, Caxton FX, HomeAway UK, Owners Direct, Increase the Wedge, NetBooster, Somo Global, TradeDoubler, uSwitch, Upmystreet.com, Reef Television, Rentokil Initial, AkzoNobel and Regus. Regus provides serviced offices to a number of companies. The building once contained the head offices of British United Airways.The building is a five-minute walk from London Victoria station (mainline and tube) and a ten-minute walk from Victoria Coach Station. Difficult to find entrance but off Victoria Street, Cathedral Walk goes to main entrance. The surrounding area has been redeveloped between 2003 and 2005 with a new shopping and refreshments area called Cardinal Place. The building also has a gym in the basement.
The High Commission of Lesotho in London is the diplomatic mission of Lesotho in the United Kingdom.
Embassy of Austria, London Distance: 1.0 miTourist Information 18 Belgrave Mews West London, United Kingdom SW1X 8HU
The Embassy of Austria in London is the diplomatic mission of Austria in the United Kingdom. Austria also maintain a Commercial Section at 45 Prince’s Gate, South Kensington and a Cultural Section at 28 Rutland Gate, South Kensington.HistoryThe Austrian Habsburg Monarchy had a permanent delegation in London from 1677 onwards, it was upgraded to the embassy of the Austrian Empire in 1860. The residence was in Chandos House in Marylebone, before it moved to Belgravia in 1866, thus making this the only building used by the Austro-Hungarian Foreign Service that is still used today the Austrian government.Following the rupture of diplomatic relations between Austria-Hungary and Britain after the outbreak of the First World War the embassy was looked after first by the government of America and then that of Sweden. Following the end of that conflict the embassy was given to the government of the new state of Austria, though a dispute over ownership of the embassy with Hungary was not resolved until 1934. Following the unification of Austria with Nazi Germany in 1938 the building was used as a German consulate, and was then looked after by the Swiss government following the outbreak of the Second World War. After a brief period of use by the Ministry of Works Austria resumed occupation of the embassy in 1949 where it remains to this day.
St. Ermin's Hotel is a four-star central London hotel adjacent to St James's Park underground station, close to Westminster Abbey, Buckingham Palace and the Houses of Parliament. The Grade II-listed late Victorian building, built as one of the early mansion blocks in the city is thought to be named after an ancient monastery reputed to have occupied the site pre-10th century. Converted to a hotel in 1896–99, it became during the 1930s, through the Second World War and beyond, a meeting place of the British intelligence services, notably the birthplace of the Special Operations Executive (SOE), and where notorious Cambridge Five double agents Philby and MacLean met their Russian handlers.BackgroundThe St Ermin's Hotel in St James's Park, London was originally a horse-shoe shaped mansion block built in 1887–89 to the designs of E. T. Hall (1851–1923). Mansion blocks (high-status, serviced apartments) were first seen in Victoria Street, London in the 1850s and remain a feature of the area today. St Ermin's Mansions was typical in both plan and elevation; Hall employed the fashionable red-brick Queen Anne style for the exterior and grouped the apartments around a courtyard which functioned both as a carriageway and garden for the residents. Four entrances led off the courtyard into the apartments (the two entrances in the side wings still exist in their original form to this day). By 1894 the building appears to have been extended along Broadway as far as St Ermin's Hill.
55 Broadway is a Grade I listed building overlooking St. James's Park in London. It was designed by Charles Holden and built between 1927 and 1929; in 1931 the building earned him the RIBA London Architecture Medal.It was constructed as a new headquarters for the Underground Electric Railways Company of London (UERL), the main forerunner of London Underground. Upon completion, it was the tallest office block in the city.London Underground was due to vacate the building in 2015 for new headquarters, and 55 Broadway will be converted for residential use.DescriptionFaced with Portland stone and covering a site with an irregular footprint, the upper office floors of the building are on a cruciform plan, stepping back towards the central clock tower at the top. The cruciform design afforded the optimum level of natural light to the offices. The ground floor now contains a shopping arcade and many art deco details. Previously the ground floor was also given over to London Transport offices, including a travel information centre, cash office and a library. The whole building straddles St. James's Park tube station, the east and west wings being immediately above the railway tunnel. When finished it was the tallest steel-framed office building in London, until another Holden building, the University of London's Senate House (based on similar designs and materials), took the accolade.
Buckingham Palace est la résidence officielle de la monarchie britannique à Londres. Le palais est à la fois le lieu où se produisent les événements en relation avec la famille royale, le point de chute de beaucoup de chefs d’État en visite, et une attraction touristique importante. C’est le point de convergence du peuple britannique lors des moments de joie, de crise et de peine. « Buckingham Palace », ou tout simplement « le Palais », désigne la source des déclarations de presse émanant des bureaux royaux. Buckingham Palace a été construit par John Sheffield à l'origine du duc de Buckingham en 1703, c'est le lieu de résidence de la monarchie britannique. Buckingham Palace a été reconstruit au cours des siècles par John Nash pour George IV.Au Moyen Âge, le site du palais de Buckingham formait une partie du manoir d’Ebury. Il y eut plusieurs occupants royaux depuis Édouard le Confesseur, et a été l’objet de nombreuses spéculations à propos de son propriétaire : une faille dans le bail de Charles d’Angleterre permit au terrain de revenir dans le giron royal au. Les précurseurs de Buckingham Palace sont Blake House, Goring House et Arlington House.D’abord connu sous le nom de Buckingham House, le bâtiment formant le cœur du palais d’aujourd’hui était auparavant un grand hôtel particulier construit en 1703 par le duc de Buckingham John Sheffield et acquis par le roi George III en 1762 pour en faire sa résidence privée. Il a été agrandi au cours des 75 années suivantes, principalement par les architectes John Nash et Edward Blore, qui ajoutèrent trois ailes autour d’une cour carrée. Buckingham Palace devint finalement la résidence officielle de la monarchie britannique lors de l’accession au trône de la reine Victoria en 1837. Les derniers ajouts structurels d’importance datent de la fin du et du début du : l’imposante aile est qui fait face au Mall a été ajoutée, et l’ancienne entrée officielle, Marble Arch, a été déplacée près du Speaker’s Corner à Hyde Park, où elle se trouve toujours. La façade côté est a été refaite en 1913 avec des blocs de calcaire de Portland, en arrière plan du Victoria Memorial, créant la « façade publique » de Buckingham, avec le fameux balcon en son centre.
County Hall is a building in London that was the headquarters of London County Council and later the Greater London Council . The building is on the South Bank of the River Thames, with Westminster Bridge being next to it, heading south. It faces west toward the City of Westminster and is close to the Palace of Westminster. The nearest London Underground stations are and.Today, County Hall is the site of businesses and attractions, including the London Sea Life Aquarium, London Dungeon and a Namco Station amusement arcade. The London Eye is next to County Hall, and its visitor centre is inside the building. There is also a suite of exhibition rooms which was home to the Saatchi Gallery from 2003 to 2006. Other parts of the building house two hotels, several restaurants, and some flats. Various spaces are available for hire for functions, including the council chamber at the heart of the building. Until January 2010 the Dali Universe was also in the building but this has now closed and will be reopening in another venue soon.
The Embassy of France in London is the diplomatic mission of France to the United Kingdom. Located just off Knightsbridge at Albert Gate, one of the entrances to Hyde Park, it is situated immediately opposite the Embassy of Kuwait.This building, along with the rest of Albert Gate and neighbouring buildings, were designed by the British architect Thomas Cubitt; his son, George Cubitt, who was created Baron Ashcombe in 1892, is Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall's great-great-grandfather.At the time of these buildings' construction in the 1840s, they were by far the tallest structures in the neighbourhood.The Republic of France also owns various premises along the Cromwell Road, South Kensington which house its Consular, Cultural, Science & Technology and Visa sections. It is also has a Trade Mission at 28-29 Haymarket and a Paymaster & Financial Comptroller Section at 30 Queen’s Gate Terrace, South Kensington.
Set in the heart of Royal London at Hyde Park Corner, Wellington Arch is a landmark for Londoners and visitors alike and a great addition to a memorable day out in London. The balconies also offer unique views across London and of the Household Cavalry, passing beneath on their way to and from the Changing of the Guard at Horse Guards Parade every morning. It was originally commissioned as a grand outer entrance to Buckingham Palace and moved to its present site in 1882.
St James's Palace is the official residence of the sovereign and the most senior royal palace in the United Kingdom. Located in the City of Westminster, although no longer the principal residence of the monarch, it is the ceremonial meeting place of the Accession Council and the London residence of several members of the royal family.Built by Henry VIII on the site of a leper hospital dedicated to Saint James the Less, the palace was secondary in importance to the Palace of Whitehall for most Tudor and Stuart monarchs. The palace increased in importance during the reigns of the early Georgian monarchy, but was displaced by Buckingham Palace in the late-18th and early-19th centuries. After decades of being used increasingly for only formal occasions, the move was formalised by Queen Victoria in 1837. Today the palace houses a number of official offices, societies and collections and all ambassadors and high commissioners to the United Kingdom are still accredited to the Court of St James's.Mainly built between 1531 and 1536 in red-brick, the palace's architecture is primarily Tudor in style. A fire in 1809 destroyed parts of the structure, including the monarch's private apartments, which were never replaced. Some 17th-century interiors survive, but most were remodelled in the 19th century.
This revolutionary building, the first in England to be designed in a Palladian style by Inigo Jones, was finished in 1622 for James I. Intended for the splendour and exuberance of court masques, the Banqueting House is probably most famous for one real life drama: the execution of Charles I which took place here in 1649 to the
‘dismal, universal groan’ of the crowd. One of Charles’ last sights was he walked through the Banqueting House to his death was the magnificent ceiling, painted by Peter Paul Rubens in 1630-4.
Bridgewater House, Westminster Distance: 0.3 miTourist Information 14 Cleveland Row London, United Kingdom SW1A 1
Bridgewater House is a townhouse located at 14 Cleveland Row in the St James's area of London, England. It is a Grade I listed building.HistoryThe earliest known house on the site was Berkshire House, built in about 1626-27 for Thomas Howard, second son of the Earl of Suffolk and Master of the Horse to Charles I of England when he was Prince of Wales. Howard was later created Earl of Berkshire.After being occupied by Parliamentarian troops in the English Civil War, used for the Portuguese Embassy, and lived in by Edward Hyde, 1st Earl of Clarendon, the house was lived in by Charles II's mistress Barbara Villiers, who was made Duchess of Cleveland in 1670, following which the house was known as Cleveland House. She refaced the old house and added new wings. After being owned for some years by a speculator, the house was sold in 1700 to John Egerton, 3rd Earl of Bridgewater, after which it passed by inheritance until 1948.Cleveland House was re-designed in the Palazzo style by Sir Charles Barry in 1840. The rebuilding was completed and renamed in 1854 for Lord Ellesmere, heir of the 3rd Duke of Bridgewater. It is built in Bath stone with a slate roof in three storeys with a basement.