Brighton Museum & Art Gallery is a municipally-owned public museum and art gallery in the city of Brighton and Hove in the South East of England. It is part of "Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton and Hove". It is free for local residents but charges around £5 per non-resident visitor.HistoryThe building which houses the collection is part of the Royal Pavilion Estate and was originally built for the Prince of Wales, later George IV and completed in 1805. It was initially intended as a tennis court but had never been finished, and later served as cavalry barracks.After the death of George IV in 1830, his successor King William IV also stayed in the Pavilion on his visits to Brighton. However, after Queen Victoria's last visit to Brighton in 1845, the Government planned to sell the building and grounds. However the Brighton Commissioners and the Brighton Vestry successfully petitioned the government to sell the Pavilion to the town for £53000 in 1850 under the Brighton Improvement (Purchase of the Royal Pavilion and Grounds) Act 1850.In September 1851 it was announced that part of the Pavilion was to be appropriated for annual art exhibitions and two months later the first of these was held. The local talent to which it was confined included Frederick Nash and Copley Fielding. The room devoted to the exhibition was the original South Gallery, now the First Conference Room, but later the exhibitions even spread to the Great Kitchen.
The Royal Pavilion, also known as the Brighton Pavilion, is a former royal residence located in Brighton, England. Beginning in 1787, it was built in three stages as a seaside retreat for George, Prince of Wales, who became the Prince Regent in 1811. It is built in the Indo-Saracenic style prevalent in India for most of the 19th century. The current appearance of the Pavilion, with its domes and minarets, is the work of architect John Nash, who extended the building starting in 1815.HistoryThe Prince of Wales, who later became George IV, first visited Brighton in 1783, at the age of 21. The seaside town had become fashionable through the residence of George's uncle, Prince Henry, Duke of Cumberland, whose tastes for cuisine, gaming, the theatre, and fast living the young prince shared, and with whom he lodged in Brighton at Grove House. In addition, the Prince of Wales was advised by his physician that the seawater would be beneficial for his gout. In 1786, under a financial cloud with investigation by Parliament for the extravagances incurred in building Carlton House, London, the Prince rented a modest erstwhile farmhouse facing the Steine, a grassy area of Brighton used as a promenade by visitors. Remote from the Royal Court in London, the Pavilion was a discreet location for the Prince to enjoy liaisons with his long-time companion, Maria Fitzherbert. The Prince had wished to marry her, and did so in secrecy, as her Roman Catholic religion prohibited his marrying her under the Royal Marriages Act 1772.
WELCOME to the group for Brighton Toy and Model Museum, a truly extraordinary attraction full of childhood dreams and memories...
Looking to revisit your childhood? Want to show your children/grandchildren or even grandchildren the toys you used to play with? Or in turn want to see what your parents/grandparents or even great grandparents used to play with? …
… Then you will enjoy a visit to Brighton Toy and Model Museum, home to one of the finest collections of toys and models in the world. Situated under Brighton station, you will find a treasure cove of over 10,000 exhibits on display, including collections of toys from over the last 100 years, period antique toys, examples from the world’s top toy makers plus priceless model train collection. The museum is one of Brighton’s most fascinating attractions and an Aladdin’s cave for the whole family to enjoy!
What You Will See:
- A priceless model train collection with an extensive ‘0’ gauge working layout
- A working ‘00’ model of the Sussex countryside
- Tin Plate toys, cars and buses, exotic toys and model ships, large-scale radio controlled aeroplanes and helicopters
- Dolls and rare dolls house furniture
- Old-fashioned penny arcade games and a working mutoscope, displaying early photographic animation
- Many types of construction toys
- Soft toys, teddy bears, puppets and toy theatres
- Military and Historical dioramas
Booth Museum of Natural History is a municipally-owned museum of natural history in the city of Brighton and Hove in the South East of England. Its focus is on Victorian taxidermy especially of British birds, insects, as well as fossils, bones and skeletons. It is part of "Royal Pavilion & Museums, Brighton and Hove". Admission to the museum is free.HistoryThe Booth Museum was opened in 1874 by naturalist and collector Edward Thomas Booth. Booth was particularly interested in birds, and it was his ambition, though not fully realized, to collect examples of every bird species found in Britain. Each species collected would include a male, a female, a juvenile and any plumage variations. He presented his bird collection in Victorian-style dioramas that attempted to recreate how birds would appear in the setting of their natural habitat. Booth was a one of the pioneers of such diorama displays, and his museum, the first to present its collection in this manner in Britain, influenced how other museums would present animal species in their displays.Booth donated the museum to the city in 1890 with the proviso that the display of over 300 dioramas should not be altered, and it was opened under Brighton civic ownership in 1891. In 1971 the Booth became a Museum of Natural History.The museum continues to feature the dioramas of British birds in their habitat settings, as well as collections of butterflies, and British fossils and animal bones. Other items have been added to the museum's collection through the years, and it is now home to a collection of 525,000 insects, 50,000 minerals and rocks, 30,000 plants and 5,000 microscopic slides.
The Bungeroosh Gallery, as a part of the Brighton Festival of Artists Open Houses 2013, presents an eclectic & unique line up of high quality art & craft for the May show with an emphasis on a proportion of work that uses vintage themes and/or reused materials:
Keep checking our blog and facebook page to hear and see more information about the forthcoming work and artists for the Christmas show.
Volk's Electric Railway is a narrow gauge heritage railway that runs along a length of the seafront of the English seaside resort of Brighton. It was built by Magnus Volk, the first section being completed in August 1883, and is the oldest operating electric railway in the world. Although it was preceded by Werner von Siemens's 1879 demonstration line in Berlin and by the Gross-Lichterfelde Tramway of 1881, neither line is still operational.Operated as a historical seafront tourist attraction, the railway does not usually run during the winter months, and its service is also liable to occasional suspension due to severe weather or maintenance issues.HistoryIn 1883 Magnus Volk opened a short, electric railway running for 1/4mi between Swimming Arch and Chain Pier. Electrical power at 50 V DC was supplied to the small car using the two running rails. In 1884 the line was extended a further 1/2mile beyond the Chain Pier to Paston Place, and regauged to. The electrical supply was increased to 160 V DC and the power plant was installed in the arch built into the cliff face at Paston Place. In 1886 an off-set third rail was added to minimise current leakage.
Set within Brighton's most historic regency crescent, the apartment resides in the lower-ground floor of a Grade 2* listed building. Seconds away from Brighton Beach and a short stroll along to the pier, The famous Lane's shopping district and the City Centre which is full of restaurants and bars.