Blackfriars, also known as London Blackfriars, is a central London railway station and connected London Underground station located in the City of London. Its platforms span the River Thames, occupying the length of Blackfriars Railway Bridge, a short distance downstream from Blackfriars Bridge. Since 2011 there have been station buildings, with passenger entrances, on both sides of the river; the north bank entrance is on the south side of Queen Victoria Street and the south bank entrance, opened in 2011, is adjacent to Blackfriars Road. It is the only London station to span the Thames, with entrances on both banks.The main line station was opened by the London, Chatham and Dover Railway company with the name St. Paul's in 1886. The Underground station opened in 1870 with the arrival of the Metropolitan District Railway. The station was renamed Blackfriars in 1937. National Rail services are now provided by Southeastern and Thameslink while the Underground station is now served by both the District line and, since 1949, the Circle line. The Underground station was closed for renovation work for nearly three years between 2009 and 2012. The station falls within fare zone 1.
Blackfriars, LondonDistance: 1.4 miTourist Information 179 Queen Victoria Street London, EC4V 4DY
Blackfriars is an area of central London, which lies in the south-west corner of the City of London.The name Blackfriars was first used in 1317 (as Black Freres from the French 'frère' meaning 'brother') and derives from the black cappa worn by the Dominican Friars who moved their priory from Holborn to the area between the River Thames and Ludgate Hill in 1276. Edward I gave permission to rebuild London's city wall, which lay between the river and Ludgate Hill, around their area. The site was used for great occasions of state, including meetings of Parliament and the Privy Council, as well as the location for a divorce hearing in 1529 of Catherine of Aragon and Henry VIII. The priory was eventually closed in 1538 during Henry's Dissolution of the monasteries. Katherine Parr, Henry VIII's sixth and final wife, was born in the area.Some of the buildings were subsequently leased to a group of entrepreneurs who created the Blackfriars Theatre on the site, not far from Shakespeare's Globe Theatre which sat almost directly across on the other side of the river. In 1632, the Society of Apothecaries (a livery company), acquired the monastery's guesthouse and established their base there. The building was destroyed in the Great Fire of London but the Society rebuilt and Apothecaries Hall is still to be found in Blackfriars today.
St. Ermin's Hotel, London, UKDistance: 1.3 miTourist Information 2 Caxton Street London, SW1H 0QW
Aldwych Abandoned Underground StationDistance: 1.3 miTourist Information Strand/Surrey Street London,
|}City Thameslink is a railway station in London, located in the City of London financial district. The platforms are underground with a southern entrance on Ludgate Hill just off Ludgate Circus, and a northern entrance on Holborn Viaduct. It is in Zone 1 on the Thameslink route between and. Although a through station, for ticketing purposes it is considered a central London terminus for journeys to and from the south. City Thameslink is not open on Sundays.Before its 1990 opening its site was intended for station on the cancelled Fleet Line Extension of the (now) Jubilee line, and provision was made for the future station as part of the building works.HistoryThe station was opened by British Rail on 29 May 1990 as St. Paul's Thameslink. The name was changed in 1991, to avoid confusion with London Underground station (Central line), which is several hundred yards away on the other side of St Paul's Cathedral.When the Thameslink line first opened, trains used the approach viaduct for Holborn Viaduct railway station to reach the Snow Hill tunnel. In preparation for that station's closure on 26 January 1990, a new line between Blackfriars station and the tunnel was constructed, this time on a different alignment slightly to the east and at a lower elevation, allowing buildings to be constructed on top. City Thameslink was built on the line as a replacement for Holborn Viaduct station.
Holborn est une station du métro de Londres. La station est sur la Central line et la Piccadilly line en zone 1.Lieu remarquable à proximité British MuseumVoir aussiArticles connexes Liste des stations du métro de Londres Liste des stations fermées du métro de Londres
Holborn is a London Underground station in Holborn, central London. It is served by the Central and Piccadilly lines. On the Central line the station is between Tottenham Court Road and Chancery Lane stations; on the Piccadilly line it is between Covent Garden and Russell Square. The station is located at the junction of High Holborn and Kingsway and is in Travelcard Zone 1. Close by are the British Museum, Lincoln's Inn Fields, Red Lion Square, Bloomsbury Square and Sir John Soane's Museum.Located at the junction of two earlier tube railway schemes, the station was opened in 1906 by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway (GNP&BR). The station entrances and below ground circulation were largely reconstructed for the introduction of escalators and the opening of Central line platforms in 1933, making the station the only interchange between the lines. Before 1994, Holborn was the northern terminus of the short and little-frequented Piccadilly line branch to Aldwych and two platforms originally used for this service are disused. One of the disused platforms has been used for location filming when a London Underground station platform is needed.
Russell Square is a London Underground station on Bernard Street, Bloomsbury in the London Borough of Camden. The station is on the Piccadilly line, between Holborn and King's Cross St Pancras and is in Travelcard Zone 1. It is a small but busy station, often used by office workers and by tourists who are staying in Bloomsbury's numerous hotels or visiting the British Museum.Russell Square Station is not far from the British Museum, the University of London's main campus, Great Ormond Street Hospital and Russell Square Gardens. Its location is adjacent to the Brunswick Centre.HistoryThe station was opened by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway on 15 December 1906. The station was designed by Leslie Green. On 20 July 2011, English Heritage gave the station buildings Grade II listed status, describing it as:2005 London bombingsOn 7 July 2005, in a co-ordinated bomb attack, an explosion in a train travelling between King's Cross St. Pancras and Russell Square resulted in the deaths of 26 people, making up nearly half of the total fatalities from the series of attacks and also causing damage to the tunnel. It was the last of the three bombs used in the attacks on the underground, although another bomb later exploded on a bus.
Euston Square is a London Underground station at the corner of Euston Road and Gower Street, just north of University College London and within walking distance of Euston railway station. It is between Great Portland Street and King's Cross St. Pancras on the Circle, Hammersmith & City and Metropolitan lines, in Travelcard Zone 1.HistoryThe station opened in 1863 as "Gower Street", changing to its present name in 1909. In late 2006 the new entrance on the south side of Euston Road opened in a corner of the new headquarters of the Wellcome Trust replacing the old entrance. There is also a subway entrance on the north side of Euston Road. In 2011, two new lifts linking the westbound platform to the street were opened. On top of these a new modern entrance was opened.FutureIn December 2005 Network Rail announced plans to create a subway link between the station and Euston station as part of the re-development of Euston station. This will create a direct link for users of main line rail services which depart from Euston. These plans would also be pursued during a rebuilding for High Speed 2.
Call 07702 442767 for Bookings and Enquiries
This hidden gem, tucked away between the West End
and the City, has invested in cutting-edge technology to give you an unbeatable gaming experience.
Restaurant open from 7pm - 2am, parking available and there’s a dedicated smoking area.
61-66 Russell Square, London WC1B 5JS
Tel: 020 7833 1881
Find us on Twitter.com/RussellCasino
We're open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
KEEP IT FUN!
It’s more fun if you play responsibly
For help & information visit: www.keepitfun.rank.com
NEED HELP? CALL GAMCARE FREE ON 0808 802 0133
You need to be 18 or over to join the casino and enter the bar. Valid ID is required, either a passport or drivers licence.
Charter Chambers is a leading set of Chambers specialising in serious crime, fraud, confiscation and regulatory law. We provide the highest levels of advocacy and legal advice, with leading practitioners prosecuting and defending in many significant cases around the country.
Our clerking and administration teams offer a high quality service, with a relaxed and professional atmosphere for clients.
We offer expert training and seminars in a range of legal subjects. We are able to create bespoke training in specific areas of law or practice for our clients.