EuroZoid
Discover The Most Popular Places In Europe

Conciergerie, Paris | Tourist Information


2 Boulevard du Palais
Paris, France 75001

01 53 40 60 80

The Conciergerie is a building in Paris, France, located on the west of the Île de la Cité (literally "Island of the City"), formerly a prison but presently used mostly for law courts. It was part of the former royal palace, the Palais de la Cité, which consisted of the Conciergerie, Palais de Justice and the Sainte-Chapelle. Hundreds of prisoners during the French Revolution were taken from the Conciergerie to be executed by guillotine at a number of locations around Paris.The Middle AgesThe west part of the island was originally the site of a Merovingian palace, and was known initially as the Palais de la Cité. From the 10th to the 14th centuries it was the main palace of the medieval Kings of France. During the reigns of Louis IX (Saint Louis) (1214–1270) and Philippe IV (Philip the Fair) (1284–1314) the Merovingian palace was extended and fortified more extensively.Louis IX added the Sainte-Chapelle and associated galleries, while Philippe IV created the towered facade on the Seine river side and a large hall. Both are excellent examples of French religious and secular architecture of the period. The Sainte-Chapelle was built in the French royal style to house the crown of thorns that was brought back from the Crusades and to serve as a royal chapel. The "Grande Salle" (Great Hall) was one of the largest in Europe, and its lower story, known as "La Salle des Gens d'Armes" (The Hall of the Soldiers) survives at 64m long, 27.5m wide and 8.5m high. It was used as a dining room for the 2,000 staff members who worked in the palace. It was heated with four large fireplaces and lit by many windows, now blocked. It was also used for royal banquets and judicial proceedings. The neighboring Salle des Gardes was used as an antechamber to the Great Hall immediately above, where the king held his lit de justice (a session of parliament in the king's presence).

Community and Government Near Conciergerie

Paris Observatory
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
61 avenue de l'Observatoire
Paris, 75014

01 40 51 22 21

The Paris Observatory is the foremost astronomical observatory of France, and one of the largest astronomical centers in the world. Its historic building is to be found on the Left Bank of the Seine in central Paris, but most of the staff works on a satellite campus in the Meudon suburb of Paris.ConstitutionAdministratively, it is a grand établissement of the French Ministry of National Education, with a status close to that of a public university. Its missions include: research in astronomy and astrophysics; education (four graduate programs, Ph.D. studies); diffusion of knowledge to the public. It maintains a solar observatory at Meudon and a radio astronomy observatory at Nançay. It was also the home to the International Time Bureau until its dissolution in 1987.HistoryIts foundation lies in the ambitions of Jean-Baptiste Colbert to extend France's maritime power and international trade in the 17th century. Louis XIV promoted its construction, which was started in 1667 and completed in 1671. It thus predates by a few years the Royal Greenwich Observatory in England, which was founded in 1675. The architect of the Paris Observatory was Claude Perrault whose brother, Charles, was secretary to Colbert and superintendent of public works. Optical instruments were supplied by Giuseppe Campani. The buildings were extended in 1730, 1810, 1834, 1850, and 1951. The last extension incorporates the spectacular Meridian Room designed by Jean Prouvé.

Caserne de Port-Royal
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
55, boulevard de Port-Royal
Paris, 75014

Raspail
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
Boulevard Raspail
Paris, 75014

Raspail is a station of the Paris Métro, serving Line 4 and Line 6 in the 14th arrondissement. The station is currently undergoing renovation works. The station is named after the Boulevard Raspail, named after 19th-century scientist and statesman François-Vincent Raspail.HistoryThe station opened on 24 April 1906 with the opening of the extension of line 2 Sud from Passy to Place d'Italie. On 14 October 1907, line 2 Sud became part of line 5. On 12 October 1942, the section of line 5 between Étoile and Place d'Italie, including Raspail was transferred from line 5 to line 6 in order to separate the underground and elevated sections of the metro (because the latter were more vulnerable to air attack during World War II). The line 4 platforms were opened on 30 October 1909 when the southern section of line 4 was opened between Raspail and Porte d'Orléans; this was temporarily separated from the section of line 4 opened on 21 April 1908 between Châtelet and Porte de Clignancourt. On 9 January 1910, the connecting section opened under the Seine between Châtelet and Raspail, completing line 4.

Temple Saint Marcel
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
24, rue Pierre Nicole
Paris, 75005

Eglise Lutherienne Saint-Marcel
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
24, rue de Pierre Nicole
Paris, 75005

Khagne
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
45 rue d'Ulm
Paris, 75005

Grand Mosque of Paris
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
2 bis Place du Puits de l’Ermite
Paris, 75005

+33 1 45 35 97 33

La Grande Mosquée de Paris est une mosquée française de style mauresque avec un minaret de. Elle est située 6, rue Georges-Desplas dans le quartier du Jardin-des-Plantes du 5e arrondissement de Paris de Paris. La mosquée, inaugurée le, a été fondée par Si Kaddour Benghabrit. Elle a une place symbolique importante pour la visibilité de l'islam et des musulmans en France. Elle est la plus vieille mosquée en France métropolitaine.HistoriqueLa genèse du projetL’histoire de la Mosquée de Paris est liée à la colonisation.Un premier projet de mosquée à Paris sont attestés.En 1846, la Société orientale propose un projet de construction. La réaction négative du ministère de la Justice et des Cultes, qui débat avec le Quai d’Orsay, enterre le projet pour dix ans.La première « mosquée » au Père-LachaiseLe cimetière abrita d’abord les sépultures des Ottomans morts en France. Peu utilisé, en 1883, il a été rétréci. Le bâtiment se délabra. En 1914, un projet architectural est proposé ; un édifice plus important avec un dôme et des caractéristiques « islamiques » affirmées. La Première Guerre mondiale empêcha la réalisation de ce projet.

National Museum of Natural History (France)
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
Jardin des Plantes, 57, rue Cuvier, 75005 Paris
Paris,

Le Muséum national d'histoire naturelle est un établissement français de recherche et de diffusion de la culture scientifique naturaliste. C'est l'un des premiers établissements mondiaux de ce type, avec le Natural History Museum de Londres. Il est doté du statut de grand établissement et placé sous tutelle conjointe des ministres de l'Enseignement supérieur et de la Recherche et de l'Environnement. Son siège se trouve au jardin des Plantes mais il a d'autres sites à Paris et en France. Le Muséum dispose d'un personnel d'environ membres dont 450 chercheurs. Depuis la réforme de 2014, il est dirigé par un Président, assisté de directeurs-généraux délégués.Spécificité et établissements du MuséumLe Muséum national d'Histoire naturelle présente, en comparaison de ses homologues d'autres pays, une originalité qui en fait un cas unique car il n'est pas composé d'un seul site mais en comprend treize, dont la plupart sont multifonctionnels : ainsi son siège parisien n'est pas seulement un bâtiment, mais à la fois un jardin, botanique et zoologique, et un ensemble de plusieurs galeries scientifiques, de laboratoires et de serres. D'importants budgets sont nécessaires pour entretenir, faire fonctionner et rénover ces sites selon les normes actuelles (de sécurité et autres) : les entrées payantes ne suffisent pas à couvrir ces dépenses et certains ont dû être fermés pour cette raison ; tous n'ont pu être réhabilités et ainsi la galerie d'entomologie a même du être fermée en 1996.

Académie de la Grande Chaumière
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
14, rue de la Grande Chaumière
Paris, 75006

+ 33 1 43 26 13 72

The Académie de la Grande Chaumière is an art school in the Montparnasse district of Paris, France.HistoryThe school was founded in 1904 by the Catalan painter Claudio Castelucho, in rue de la Grande Chaumière in Paris, near to the Académie Colarossi. From 1909 the Académie was jointly directed by the painters Martha Stettler, Alice Dannenberg and Lucien Simon. It was dedicated to both painting and sculpture. It did not teach the strict academic rules of painting of the École des Beaux-Arts, and led to art that was free from academic constraints. An attraction was the low level of fees, even lower than those of the Académie Julian (which had to be paid in advance). It was said that all that was provided was a model and warmth in the winter.In 1957, the Académie de la Grande Chaumière was acquired by the Charpentier family, founders of the Charpentier Academy. It still operates under its original name, and provides two free workshops, one for painting and drawing, the other for sketches, as well as evening classes.Teachers Former students SourcesDr. Eric Cabris, Ph.D., Biografie van kunstschilder Ghislaine de Menten de Horne (1908–1995), Brussels, V.U.B., 2008, p. 4, footnote 3.Antoine Bourdelle, Laure Dalon, Cours & leçons à l'Académie de la Grande Chaumière, 1909–1929, Paris : Paris-Musées : Ed. des Cendres, 2008. ISBN 978-2-7596-0034-2

Accueil
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
37 Rue Tournefort
Paris, 75005

01 45 35 63 00

Théâtre Mouffetard
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
73 rue Mouffetard
Paris, 75005

01 43 31 11 99

Le Théâtre Mouffetard, situé au 73 rue Mouffetard dans le 5e arrondissement de Paris de Paris, était un théâtre municipal subventionné par la Ville de Paris. Depuis novembre 2013, il héberge le théâtre de la marionnette à Paris, devenant ainsi la première salle à être consacrée exclusivement à cette discipline, dans la capitale française. Il se nomme désormais Le Mouffetard - Théâtre des arts de la marionnette.Dirigé par Isabelle Bertola, le Mouffetard-Théâtre des arts de la marionnette a pour enjeu de défendre et promouvoir 'les formes contemporaines de théâtre de marionnettes auprès du plus large public possible. Il pense et porte ce théâtre comme un art exigeant, tout à la fois singulier et éclectique du point de vue des techniques : ombres, objets, images, marionnettes à gaine, à fil, anthropomorphes ou formes abstraites, symboliques... Il soutient également l’idée que cette discipline concerne tant les adultes que les plus jeunes.'De la Maison pour tous au Théâtre Mouffetard 1906-1919 : naissance de l'"Université populaire" au 76 rue Mouffetard (emplacement de l'actuelle bibliothèque Mouffetard). 1919 : naissance de la "Maison pour Tous" (même endroit). Lieu de quartier, son champ d'action est l'éducation populaire et culturelle. 1930 : la "Maison pour Tous" est reconnue d'utilité publique. 1950-1978 : la salle polyvalente Mouffetard prend le nom de « Théâtre Mouffetard »" sous la direction de Georges Bilbille. 1980 : ouverture du « Nouveau Théâtre Mouffetard » au 73 rue Mouffetard (emplacement actuel du théâtre). Il est inauguré en 1984. 1983-1992 : direction Anny Murvil 1992-1997 : direction Jean-José Grammond 1997-2003 : direction Armand Blondeau 2003-2012 : avec l'arrivée de Pierre Santini à sa direction, le « Nouveau Théâtre Mouffetard » redevient le « Théâtre Mouffetard ». Novembre 2013 : en partie remis à neuf, il accueille le Théâtre de la marionnette à Paris et devient Le Mouffetard - Théâtre des arts de la marionnettes.

Labo de l'Edition
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
2, rue Saint-Médard
Paris, 75005

Place Monge
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Place Monge
Paris, 75005

Place Monge is a station of the Paris Métro, opened on 15 February 1930 as part of a planned section of line Line 7, which was temporarily operated as part of Line 10 until the completion of the under-Seine crossing of line 7 from Pont de Sully to Place Monge. The station was integrated into line 7 on 26 April 1931. It is named after the street of Place Monge, named after Gaspard Monge (1746 - 1818), a French mathematician and inventor of descriptive geometry.The station is located under Place Monge, in the 5th arrondissement, in the eastern part of the Latin Quarter. Nearby are the Jardin des Plantes (botanical garden), the Roman remains of the Arènes de Lutèce and the Rue Mouffetard, a street with restaurants and a lively street market.

Église Saint-Jacques-du-Haut-Pas
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
252 rue Saint-Jacques
Paris, 75005

The Église Saint-Jacques-du-Haut-Pas is a church in Paris, France in the 5th Arrondissement at the corner of Rue Saint-Jacques and the Rue de l'Abbé de l'Épée. The church has been registered as a historical monument since 4 June 1957.OriginsThe land on which the church is built was obtained oround 1180 by Hospitaller brothers originating from Altopascio, near Lucca, Italy. In 1360 the brothers built a simple chapel. Despite the suppression of their order by Pope Pius II in 1459, some brothers decided to remain. At that time the land around them was fields and meadows with a few low peasant houses and some religious institutions.In 1572 Catherine de' Medici decided to use the site as home for a group of Benedictine monks who had been expelled from their abbey of Saint-Magloire. The relics of St. Magloire of Dol and his disciples had been transported to Paris by Hugh Capet in 923, when the Normans attacked Brittany. The relics were transferred to the hospital, which became a monastery. In 1620, the seminary of the Oratorians under Pierre de Bérulle, the first seminar in France, replaced the Benedictines. It was known as the seminary of Saint-Magloire. Jean de La Fontaine stayed there as a novice.Initial constructionThe surrounding population increased and the faithful became accustomed to pray in the chapel of the Benedictines. The monks found themselves inconvenienced and demanded the departure of the lay people. In 1582 the bishop then gave permission for construction of a church adjoining the monastery of Saint-Magloire. A small church was built in 1584, serving the parishes of Saint-Hippolyte, Saint-Benoît and Saint-Médard. In this church the choir was oriented eastward, backing onto the rue Saint-Jacques. The church was entered through the monastery cemetery. A cemetery was opened in 1584 beside the original chapel, along today's rue de l’Abbé-de-l’Épée. It was closed in 1790. The original gallery organ was made by Vincent Coupeau, an organist of the parish, and was installed in 1628.

Paroisse Notre Dame du Liban
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
15 Rue Ulm
Paris, 75005

0143294760

Musée Curie
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
1, rue Pierre-et-Marie-Curie
Paris, 75005

0156245533

The Musée Curie is a historical museum focusing on radiological research. It is located in the 5th arrondissement at 1, rue Pierre et Marie Curie, Paris, France, and open Wednesday to Saturday, from 1pm to 5pm; admission is free. The museum was renovated in 2012, thanks to a donation from Ève Curie.The museum was established in 1934, after Curie's death, on the ground floor of the Curie Pavilion of the Institut du Radium. It was formerly Marie Curie's laboratory, built 1911-1914, and where she performed research from 1914-1934. In this laboratory her daughter and son-in-law Irène and Frédéric Joliot-Curie discovered artificial radioactivity, for which they received the 1935 Nobel Prize for Chemistry.The museum contains a permanent historical exhibition on radioactivity and its applications, notably in medicine, focusing primarily on the Curies, and displays some of the most important research apparatus used before 1940. It also contains a center for historical resource which holds archives, photographs, and documentation on the Curies, Joliot-Curies, the Institut Curie, and the history of radioactivity and oncology.

Institut océanographique de Paris
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
195 Rue Saint Jacques
Paris, 75005

+33 1 44 32 10 80

L’Institut océanographique de Paris, rebaptisé Maison des océans et de la biodiversité en 2011, est une institution fondée en 1906 par Albert , prince de Monaco, qui comprend également le Musée océanographique de Monaco.HistoireLe siège de l’Institut océanographique à Paris fut officiellement inauguré le, par le prince Albert et par le président de la république française, Armand Fallières. Le bâtiment de l’Institut est inscrit aux monuments historiques depuis un arrêté du.Il se situe dans le arrondissement de Paris, aux abords du Quartier latin, au croisement des rues Saint-Jacques et rue Gay-Lussac, dans le « Campus Curie » qui regroupe d’autres institutions scientifiques, ancien domaine du couvent des Dames de Saint Michel, acquis par l’université de Paris avec le concours de l’État, de la ville de Paris et de SAS le prince Albert de Monaco, à qui l’université en l’inscrivant en tant que membre bienfaiteur lui céda un terrain de pour y bâtir le siège de la Fondation « Institut océanographique ».Pionnier de l’océanographie, Albert, veut, selon ses propres termes, en être le « propagateur ». Au retour de chacune de ses campagnes, le Prince Albert en présente les principaux résultats aux auditoires les plus qualifiés : Académie des sciences de Paris, dont il est élu membre, Société de biologie, Société zoologique de France, sociétés de géographie qui connaissent alors leur âge d’or dans toute l’Europe… et les universités populaires l’accueillent à plusieurs reprises.

Institut Henri Poincaré
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
11 rue Pierre et Marie Curie
Paris, 75005

01 44 27 64 88

Lieu d'accueil et d'échanges des mathématiques françaises et internationales, la « Maison des Mathématiques » accueille des programmes thématiques trimestriels, des collaborations intensives de courte durée (RIP), des cours doctoraux de haut niveau, des colloques et des séminaires sur des thèmes liés aux mathématiques et à des disciplines connexes comme la physique, la biologie ou l'informatique. Les thématiques sont sélectionnées par le Conseil de Programmation Scientifique de l'IHP. Environ 11 000 mathématiciens passent à l'institut chaque année. L'institut assume également des responsabilités éditoriales au travers de trois revues scientifiques internationales plus connues sous le nom des Annales de l'Institut Henri Poincaré (Journal of Theoretical and Mathematical Physics; Probability and Statistics et Non Linear Analysis) qui publient des articles originaux de haut niveau en recherche fondamentale. Une quatrième revue est en cours de réflexion. Vitrine des mathématiques françaises, l'établissement coorganise et parraine de nombreux événements scientifiques et culturels destinés à un large public (2011 : Un dépaysement soudain à la Fondation Cartier ; 2011 : Hommage à Évariste Galois, 2012 : Centenaire de la disparition de Henri Poincaré…). Il entretient des relations étroites avec des associations et sociétés de promotion des mathématiques qu'il héberge dans ses locaux.

Rue d'Assas
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
31 Rue d'Assis
Paris, 75006

Rue d'Assas is a street in the 6th arrondissement of Paris, named after Nicolas-Louis d'Assas.Features Musée Edouard Branly (at #21) Musée "Bible et Terre Sainte" (at #21) Main campus of Panthéon-Assas University (at #92) Zadkine Museum (at #100) Jardin du Luxembourg: rue d'Assas borders the Jardin between rue Guynemer and rue Auguste-ComteNotable peopleJeanne Baptiste d'Albert de Luynes lived at #8.Frederic-Auguste Bartholdi, the sculptor of the Statue of Liberty, had his last residence and studio at #82.

Musée de Minéralogie
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
60 boulevard saint michel
Paris, 75006

0140519139

The Musée de Minéralogie is a museum of mineralogy operated by the École nationale supérieure des mines de Paris (Mines ParisTech). It is located in the 6th arrondissement at 60, boulevard Saint Michel, Paris, France, and open daily except Sunday and Monday; an admission fee is charged.The school was established in 1783, and the museum itself in 1794 under René Just Haüy as a Cabinet of Mineralogy "containing all production in the world and all productions of the Republic, arranged by locality." It was quickly augmented by private collections, sometimes seized by the state. Many fine additions were made in short order, and by 1814 the museum contained about 100,000 samples at the Hotel de Mouchy. During the 19th century and early 20th century it continued to acquire excellent collections from around the world, interrupted for several decades by World War II, but then resuming.Today the museum is stated to be one of the ten largest mineral collections in the world, containing some 100,000 samples including 80,000 minerals, 15,000 rocks, 4,000 ores, 400 meteorites, 700 gems, and 300 artificial minerals.

Abbey of St Genevieve
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Paris 5eme
Paris,

The Abbey of St Genevieve was a monastery in Paris, suppressed at the time of the French Revolution.

Mairie du 5ème arrondissement de Paris
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
21 place du Panthéon
Paris, 75005

0156817505

Bienvenue sur la page officielle de la ville de la Mairie du 5è. Cette page constitue une communauté ouverte à tous. C’est une lieu d’information et d’échange entre fans ou avec la municipalité. Toutes les interactions sont les bienvenues à condition de respecter quelques règles élémentaires de courtoisie. Nous vous remercions de tenir compte des conseils suivants lorsque vous postez ou commentez sur le mur de la page de la ville. Les pages Facebook sont publiques, vos publications aussi. De nombreuses personnes vont voir ce que vous postez. Soyez tolérant dans vos échanges. Vérifiez vos informations, citez vos sources. Prenez un temps de réflexion avant d’envoyer votre message. Ce que vous ne diriez pas lors d’une conversation réelle, ne l’écrivez pas non plus sur Facebook. Pour vous adresser à une personne en particulier dans un fil de commentaire, vous pouvez utiliser le symbole @ suivi du nom de son profil. N’écrivez pas en majuscule. LES MAJUSCULES DONNENT L'IMPRESSION QUE VOUS CRIEZ. Par ailleurs, les messages à caractère publicitaires, les petites annonces ou les messages contenant des coordonnées téléphoniques ou postales, les messages apparentés aux spams, les contenus à caractère politique, partisan ou religieux seront systématiquement supprimés. L'ensemble des lois et règlements en vigueur en France est applicable lorsque vous utilisez Internet, tout autant que sur les pages Facebook de la ville de la Mairie du 5è. Les modérateurs supprimeront toutes les publications contraires à l’ordre public ou aux bonnes mœurs, contraires aux droits d’auteur ou droits voisins, au droit applicable aux bases de données, au droit des marques, au droit à l’image, au droit au respect de la vie privée ou qui enfreindraient toute autre disposition législative ou réglementaire en vigueur. Les modérateurs excluent également tout propos contraire aux lois en vigueur. Cela inclut donc, de façon non exhaustive : Les attaques ou insinuations fondées sur les races, les croyances ou leur absence, les origines ethniques, le sexe ou l'orientation sexuelle ; Les insultes, harcèlements, affirmations graves non-prouvées ou notoirement inexactes concernant les personnes ou les organisations ; Tout message obscène, pornographique ou relevant du harcèlement ; Tout message contraire aux droit d’auteur ou aux droits voisins, au droit applicable aux bases de données, au droit à l’image et au respect de la vie privée, ou qui enfreindrait toute autre disposition législative ou réglementaire en vigueur ; Toute attaque personnelle à l'égard de femmes et d'hommes politiques ; Les invectives ad hominem (propos agressifs, méprisants, péremptoires) ou, de façon générale, tout propos attentatoires aux participants ; Toute utilisation de la page à des fins publicitaires ou commerciales ; La mention de coordonnées personnelles ou de lien hypertexte inappropriés; Les contenus de sites web accessibles uniquement par abonnement payant ; Certains excès de prolixité ou de fréquence d’intervention nuisant à la participation équitable de tous ; Les contributions superflues ou redondantes sans apport particulier pour les échanges ; Les informations obsolètes ou ayant déjà été pleinement débattues ; Tout message hors sujet. Merci de nous avoir lu jusqu’ici. A tout de suite sur la page !

Jussieu Campus
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
5 avenue de jussieu
Paris, 75005

The Jussieu Campus is a higher education campus located in the 5th arrondissement of Paris, France, which is the main campus of the Pierre and Marie Curie University . The Paris Diderot University, was also originally located on the Jussieu campus but moved to its new independent campus in the Paris Rive Gauche neighborhood in 2006-2012. Many ties continue to exist between the two universities.Because of reconstruction programs in progress, various facilities have been moved out of the campus to other parts of Paris.HistoryThe campus was opened in 1951 and eventually it would host a great part of the old faculty of sciences of the Sorbonne. Built on the site of the old "Halle aux vins," a wine market created by Napoleon Bonaparte, the campus remains incomplete to this day. In 1957, the first university buildings were built along the Eastern bank of the River Seine (le quai Saint-Bernard), and Rue Cuvier. In order to allow the wine to remain on the site, the architects planned to construct the buildings on stilts above the roads of the market.However, in 1964, with over 20,000 science students graduating high school (the baby boom generation), the old Sorbonne could not accommodate the influx of students. André Malraux entrusted the architect Édouard Albert with the task of rapidly constructing a new science campus on the site. Albert's grand vision of modular metallic buildings, designed to facilitate interdisciplinary work and improve teaching, was never achieved, and eventually abandoned in 1972.

Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
1 rue Jussieu
Paris, 75005

The Institut de Physique du Globe de Paris is a French governmental, non-profit research and higher education establishment located in Paris, dedicated to the study of earth and planetary sciences by combining observations, laboratory analysis and construction of conceptual analogical and numerical models.IPGP is part of CNRS and University Paris-Diderot. It is the second largest CNRS research unit in France. The institute has 14 research divisions and 6 observatories. IPGP is also in charge by the French government of monitoring the active volcanoes on French territories in addition to the management of the worldwide network of seismological stations GEOSCOPE, and a major contribution to the worldwide network of magnetic observatories Intermagnet. IPGP maintains permanent volcanologic observatories on the islands of Réunion, Guadeloupe, and Martinique . The institute also maintains several analytical facilities in applied geophysics as well as a park of a variety of geophysical instruments.IPGP maintains three campuses in the Paris area. Until 2010, its main headquarters location is inside the Jussieu Campus in the 5th arrondissement of Paris. After 2010, it moved into a state of the art dedicated facility adjacent to the Jussieu Campus, in front of the Jardin des Plantes. IPGP has a second campus located 6 km to the east of Paris where it conducts space and planetary science activities ranging from building geophysical space instruments and sensors to planetary data analysis. The third campus is located in Paris VII university and is mainly dedicated for teaching. IPGP maintain a staff of nearly 500 persons.

Laboratoire de recherche en physique des particules et cosmologie, Paris
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
4 place jussieu Tour 12 - 1er étage - Couloir 12-22
Paris, 75005

01 44 27 63 13

Le LPNHE est une Unité Mixte de Recherche de l’Institut National de Physique Nucléaire et de Physique de Particules (IN2P3), institut du CNRS et des universités Pierre et Marie Curie (UPMC) et Paris Diderot. Il est constitué de 12 groupes de recherche, de 3 services techniques (informatique, électronique, mécanique), et de 2 services support (administration, logistique). Le laboratoire est engagé dans plusieurs grands programmes expérimentaux, dans le cadre de collaborations internationales scientifiques auprès de très grandes infrastructures de recherche du monde entier : centres d’accélérateurs de particules et observatoires. Ces programmes couvrent les enjeux actuels de la physique des particules, des astroparticules, et de la cosmologie.

Musée des Collections Historiques de la Préfecture de Police
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
4 Rue de la Montagne Sainte-Geneviève
Paris, 75005

01 44 41 52 50

The Musée des Collections Historiques de la Préfecture de Police, also known as the Musée de la Préfecture de Police, is a museum of police history in the 5th arrondissement of Paris, France. It is located in the Hôtel de police at 4, rue de la Montagne-Sainte-Geneviève. The museum is open daily except Sunday; admission is free.The museum was originally started by prefect Louis Lépine (1846-1933) for the Exposition Universelle (1900), and has gradually grown through subsequent years. It now contains evidence, photographs, letters, memorabilia, and drawings that reflect major events in the history of France (including conspiracies and arrests), famous criminal cases and characters, prisons, and daily life in the capital such as traffic and hygiene. Exhibits include a guillotine, uniforms, the pistol used in the assassination of Paul Doumer, and relics of the World War II occupation including German machine guns and insignias worn by Jews.

La Délégation de la Polynésie française
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
28 boulevard Saint Germain
Paris, 75005

01 55 42 66 00

Quai de Bastille
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Quai de l'Arsenal
Paris, 75011

01 40 40 70 55

Rives de la Seine à Paris
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Pont Neuf
Paris,

Sur les rives de la Seine à Paris peuvent être contemplés certains des plus célèbres monuments de la capitale de la France, de la Tour Eiffel à Notre-Dame en passant par la Concorde, mais également les ponts historiques qui les relient. Les deux rives sont inscrites sur la liste du patrimoine mondial de l'UNESCO depuis 1991.HistoireLes premiers quais sont construits au début du. Le premier est le quai des Grands-Augustins. Le Pont-Neuf est construit en 1578. En 1753, la création de la place Louis-XV, actuelle place de la Concorde, est simultanée à celle des quais sur les deux rives. Les maisons qui se trouvaient juste au bord du fleuve sont détruites, malgré l'opposition de la population. L'espace ainsi dégagé permet l'édification des quais hauts. En 1870, 15 ponts sont construits. Les quais bas sont ensuite adaptés au trafic fluvial et les chemins de halage se développent. Les berges de la Seine sont le site des Expositions universelles organisées de 1855 à 1900 à Paris.

Landmark Near Conciergerie

Paris Observatory
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
61 avenue de l'Observatoire
Paris, France 75014

01 40 51 22 21

The Paris Observatory is the foremost astronomical observatory of France, and one of the largest astronomical centers in the world. Its historic building is to be found on the Left Bank of the Seine in central Paris, but most of the staff works on a satellite campus in the Meudon suburb of Paris.ConstitutionAdministratively, it is a grand établissement of the French Ministry of National Education, with a status close to that of a public university. Its missions include: research in astronomy and astrophysics; education (four graduate programs, Ph.D. studies); diffusion of knowledge to the public. It maintains a solar observatory at Meudon and a radio astronomy observatory at Nançay. It was also the home to the International Time Bureau until its dissolution in 1987.HistoryIts foundation lies in the ambitions of Jean-Baptiste Colbert to extend France's maritime power and international trade in the 17th century. Louis XIV promoted its construction, which was started in 1667 and completed in 1671. It thus predates by a few years the Royal Greenwich Observatory in England, which was founded in 1675. The architect of the Paris Observatory was Claude Perrault whose brother, Charles, was secretary to Colbert and superintendent of public works. Optical instruments were supplied by Giuseppe Campani. The buildings were extended in 1730, 1810, 1834, 1850, and 1951. The last extension incorporates the spectacular Meridian Room designed by Jean Prouvé.

Montparnasse Cemetery
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
Cimetière de Montparnasse
Paris, France 75014

Le cimetière du Montparnasse est un cimetière parisien situé dans le arrondissement.VoirieLe cimetière du Montparnasse est délimité par la rue Froidevaux au Sud, la rue Victor-Schœlcher à l'Est, le boulevard Edgar-Quinet au Nord, le boulevard Raspail au Nord-Est, et la rue de la Gaîté à l'Ouest. Le cimetière est en outre traversé du Nord au Sud, dans la partie Est, par la rue Émile-Richard.HistoireLe cimetière du Montparnasse a été créé au début du, dans le sud de la capitale, en même temps que plusieurs autres cimetières situés à l'époque en dehors des limites de la ville : le cimetière de Passy, à l'ouest de la ville, le cimetière de Montmartre au nord et le cimetière du Père-Lachaise à l'est.L'emplacement était autrefois occupé par trois anciennes fermes, mais au, ce terrain devint la nécropole privée des religieux de Saint-Jean-de-Dieu. Au début du Nicolas Frochot, préfet de la Seine, fit acheter les terrains de la ville pour y ouvrir l'un des trois cimetières extra-muros de Paris. La première inhumation eut lieu le.

Cabinet D'hypnose Ericksonienne
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
131-133, rue Mouffetard
Paris, France 75005

0613505828

Bonjour, J'ai le plaisir de vous annoncer l'ouverture de mon cabinet d'Hypnose Eriksonienne début septembre, au 131-133, rue Mouffetard PARIS 5ème, sur rendez-vous uniquement. Je suis Diplômé PRATICIEN en HYPNOSE ERICKSONIENNE et PRATICIEN en Programmation Neuro-Linguistique de L'IFHE, Institut Français d'Hypnose Ericksonienne à Paris. Chaque individu est unique. Durant une séance d'hypnose le patient reste le principal acteur de son changement. Le nombre de séance varie d'une personne à l'autre, pour certains une à deux séances suffisent pour d'autres plus. Chaque séance dure entre une heure et une heure trente. L'hypnose permet de développer la confiance en soi, retrouver ses valeurs profondes et vivre avec elles, affirmer sa personnalité dans toute son authenticité. C'est un outil efficace qui permet avant tout de donner à votre vie une dynamique positive, dans la direction que vous souhaitez prendre. L'hypnose est une source infinie de changements et de transformations. Afin d'optimiser ses ressources, changer certains comportements (arrêt du tabac) développer ses capacités, reprendre de l'énergie, améliorer son sommeil, développer sa concentration, augmenter ses performances sportives, mieux gérer le stress, diminuer la douleur, être plus épanoui, perdre du poids, vous libérer de vos blessures, être totalement vous même et avancer dans la vie avec plus de liberté, de confort et de maitrise. Je me ferai un plaisir de vous accompagner. Alexandre Boussat Bolla / 06 13 50 58 28

Rue Poliveau
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
39 bis rue poliveau
Paris, France

La rue Poliveau est une voie située dans le quartier du Jardin-des-Plantes du arrondissement de Paris.HistoireCette voie existait en 1243, sous le nom de rue de la Cendrée, elle a été dénommée, au, rue des Carrières, rue des Saussaies, rue de la Voirie, plus tard, rue du Pont-Livaut, rue Pouliveau ou rue Poliveau.Le nom de Poliveau provient de la corruption de rue du Pont Livaut. Ce premier nom lui serait venu d'un petit pont traversant la Bièvre.Sites particuliersUne fontaine Wallace classée, face à la rue de l'Essai. AnecdoteDans le film La Traversée de Paris (1956, avec Gabin, de Funès et Bourvil), ce sont six kilomètres (huit selon Grangil), de la rue Poliveau à la rue Lepic, via le Jardin des Plantes, le pont Sully, la rue de Turenne, la rue Montmartre et la rue Saint-Georges, que parcourent, avec leur chargement de cochon, les deux larrons durant une nuit de 1943. Extrait du dialogue : Grandgil (Jean Gabin) :

Val-de-Grâce (church)
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
1 Place Alphonse Laveran
Paris, France 75005

Notre-Dame du Val-de-Grâce, connue populairement comme l'église du Val-de-Grâce, est une église de style classique baroque français originellement destinée à être l'église de l'abbaye royale du Val-de-Grâce située dans le arrondissement de Paris, place Alphonse Laveran.Les bâtiments de l'ancienne abbaye accueillent aujourd'hui le musée du service de santé des armées, la bibliothèque centrale du Service de santé des armées, et l'École du Val-de-Grâce, anciennement École d'Application du Service de Santé des Armées (EASSA). Le même îlot militaire comprend l'hôpital d'instruction des armées du Val-de-Grâce, situé sur l'ancien potager de l'abbaye.

Rue Mouffetard
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
Rue Mouffetard
Paris, France 75005

Rue Mouffetard is a street in the 5th arrondissement of Paris, France.Situated in the fifth (cinquième) arrondissement of Paris, Rue Mouffetard is one of Paris's oldest and liveliest neighbourhoods. These days the area has many restaurants, shops, and cafés, and a regular open market. It is centered on the Place de la Contrescarpe, at the junction of the rue Mouffetard and the rue de Lacepede. Its southern terminus is at the Square Saint-Médard where there is a permanent open-air market. At its northern terminus, it becomes the rue Descartes at the crossing of the rue Thouin. It is closed to normal motor traffic much of the week, and is predominantly a pedestrian avenue.Origin of the nameThe rue Mouffetard runs along a flank of the mont Sainte-Geneviève hill that was called "mont Cétarius" or "mont Cetardus" from Roman times; many historians consider "Mouffetard" to be a derivation of this early name. Over the centuries the rue Mouffetard has appeared as rue Montfétard, Maufetard, Mofetard, Moufetard, Mouflard, Moufetard, Moftard, Mostard, and also rue Saint-Marcel, rue du Faubourg Saint-Marceau ("street of the suburb Saint-Marceau") and rue de la Vieille Ville Saint-Marcel ("street of the Old Village Saint-Marcel").HistoryThe origins of this thoroughfare are ancient, dating back to Neolithic times. As with today's rue Galande, rue Lagrange, rue de la Montagne Sainte-Geneviève and rue Descartes, it was a Roman road running from the Roman Rive Gauche city south to Italy.

Grande Galerie de l'Évolution du Muséum national d'Histoire naturelle
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
Jardin des Plantes - 36, rue Geoffroy Saint Hilaire 75005 Paris
Paris, France 75005

01 40 79 56 01

La Grande Galerie de l'èvolution fa parte del Muséum national d'histoire naturelle dal 1889. È situata nella parte nord del Jardin des Plantes nel V arrondissement di Parigi in Francia. Chiamata anticamente Galerie de Zoologie, la Grande Galerie diventa nel 1994 uno spazio espositivo permanente che mostra e mette in scena la diversità degli esseri viventi e l'evoluzione della vita attraverso una importante collezione di esemplari naturalizzati.Storia della GalleriaLa Galleria di zoologiaNel Muséum national d'histoire naturelle esisteva, lungo rue Geoffroy St-Hilaire, un Cabinet d'histoire naturelle che aveva rimpiazzato, agli inizi del XIX secolo, l'Antica galerie situata lungo rue Cuvier, il cui edificio è ancora visibile tra la sede della Societé des Amis du Museum, il ristorante della Balena e l'anfiteatro Roulle. Questo Cabinet non poteva più accogliere le collezioni che non cessavano di aumentare. Allora l'architetto Louis-Jules André con il sostegno del presidente Adolphe Thiers, costruì nel 1872 la Galerie di Zoologie per esporre tutte le collezioni zoologiche, circa un milione di esemplari. Nel luglio 1889, qualche mese dopo l'inaugurazione della Torre Eiffel, la Galeria de zoologie fu inaugurata e aperta al pubblico dal ministro Armand Fallières.

Théâtre Mouffetard
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
73 rue Mouffetard
Paris, France 75005

01 43 31 11 99

Le Théâtre Mouffetard, situé au 73 rue Mouffetard dans le 5e arrondissement de Paris de Paris, était un théâtre municipal subventionné par la Ville de Paris. Depuis novembre 2013, il héberge le théâtre de la marionnette à Paris, devenant ainsi la première salle à être consacrée exclusivement à cette discipline, dans la capitale française. Il se nomme désormais Le Mouffetard - Théâtre des arts de la marionnette.Dirigé par Isabelle Bertola, le Mouffetard-Théâtre des arts de la marionnette a pour enjeu de défendre et promouvoir 'les formes contemporaines de théâtre de marionnettes auprès du plus large public possible. Il pense et porte ce théâtre comme un art exigeant, tout à la fois singulier et éclectique du point de vue des techniques : ombres, objets, images, marionnettes à gaine, à fil, anthropomorphes ou formes abstraites, symboliques... Il soutient également l’idée que cette discipline concerne tant les adultes que les plus jeunes.'De la Maison pour tous au Théâtre Mouffetard 1906-1919 : naissance de l'"Université populaire" au 76 rue Mouffetard (emplacement de l'actuelle bibliothèque Mouffetard). 1919 : naissance de la "Maison pour Tous" (même endroit). Lieu de quartier, son champ d'action est l'éducation populaire et culturelle. 1930 : la "Maison pour Tous" est reconnue d'utilité publique. 1950-1978 : la salle polyvalente Mouffetard prend le nom de « Théâtre Mouffetard »" sous la direction de Georges Bilbille. 1980 : ouverture du « Nouveau Théâtre Mouffetard » au 73 rue Mouffetard (emplacement actuel du théâtre). Il est inauguré en 1984. 1983-1992 : direction Anny Murvil 1992-1997 : direction Jean-José Grammond 1997-2003 : direction Armand Blondeau 2003-2012 : avec l'arrivée de Pierre Santini à sa direction, le « Nouveau Théâtre Mouffetard » redevient le « Théâtre Mouffetard ». Novembre 2013 : en partie remis à neuf, il accueille le Théâtre de la marionnette à Paris et devient Le Mouffetard - Théâtre des arts de la marionnettes.

Rue Notre-Dame-des-Champs
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
Rue Notre-Dame-des-Champs
Paris, France 75006

Die Rue Notre-Dame-des-Champs ist eine 1.010 Meter lange und 11,70 Meter breite Straße im 6. Arrondissement von Paris. Sie beginnt bei Nummer 125 der Rue de Rennes und endet bei Nummer 18 der Avenue de l’Observatoire.GeschichteDie Straße wurde ursprünglich als Weg zur Kapelle Notre-Dame des Champs angelegt und bezieht hieraus ihren heutigen Namen. Der Weg existierte nachweislich bereits im 14. Jahrhundert und war ursprünglich unter der Bezeichnung Chemin Herbu bekannt. Später firmierte die Straße als Rue du Barc, Chemin de Coupe Gorge (1670), Rue Neuve Notre-Dame des Champs und während der Revolution als Rue de la Montagne des Champs.VerkehrsanbindungIn unmittelbarer Nähe ihres Anfangs befindet sich die Station Saint-Placide, die von der Linie 4 der Pariser Métro bedient wird. Gut 200 Meter nach dem Beginn der Straße befindet sich an der Kreuzung zum Boulevard Raspail die zur Linie 12 der Pariser Métro gehörende Station Notre-Dame-des-Champs und in unmittelbarer Nähe ihres Endes die zur Linie B des Pariser Schnellbahnnetzes RER gehörende Station Port Royal.

Église Saint-Jacques-du-Haut-Pas
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
252 rue Saint-Jacques
Paris, France 75005

The Église Saint-Jacques-du-Haut-Pas is a church in Paris, France in the 5th Arrondissement at the corner of Rue Saint-Jacques and the Rue de l'Abbé de l'Épée. The church has been registered as a historical monument since 4 June 1957.OriginsThe land on which the church is built was obtained oround 1180 by Hospitaller brothers originating from Altopascio, near Lucca, Italy. In 1360 the brothers built a simple chapel. Despite the suppression of their order by Pope Pius II in 1459, some brothers decided to remain. At that time the land around them was fields and meadows with a few low peasant houses and some religious institutions.In 1572 Catherine de' Medici decided to use the site as home for a group of Benedictine monks who had been expelled from their abbey of Saint-Magloire. The relics of St. Magloire of Dol and his disciples had been transported to Paris by Hugh Capet in 923, when the Normans attacked Brittany. The relics were transferred to the hospital, which became a monastery. In 1620, the seminary of the Oratorians under Pierre de Bérulle, the first seminar in France, replaced the Benedictines. It was known as the seminary of Saint-Magloire. Jean de La Fontaine stayed there as a novice.Initial constructionThe surrounding population increased and the faithful became accustomed to pray in the chapel of the Benedictines. The monks found themselves inconvenienced and demanded the departure of the lay people. In 1582 the bishop then gave permission for construction of a church adjoining the monastery of Saint-Magloire. A small church was built in 1584, serving the parishes of Saint-Hippolyte, Saint-Benoît and Saint-Médard. In this church the choir was oriented eastward, backing onto the rue Saint-Jacques. The church was entered through the monastery cemetery. A cemetery was opened in 1584 beside the original chapel, along today's rue de l’Abbé-de-l’Épée. It was closed in 1790. The original gallery organ was made by Vincent Coupeau, an organist of the parish, and was installed in 1628.

Chimie ParisTech
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
11 rue Pierre et Marie Curie
Paris, France 75005

01 44 27 67 12

Chimie ParisTech is an elite chemical science and engineering college founded in 1896, located in the 5th arrondissement of Paris. It is one of the founding members of ParisTech, and Paris Sciences et Lettres – Quartier latin. The students enter the school after highly competitive exams known as the Concours Communs Polytechniques, following at least two years of classes préparatoires. The school is known as France's most selective chemical engineering collegeThe school is a research center hosting nine laboratories which conduct high level research in various fields of chemistry.HistoryThe École nationale supérieure de chimie de Paris was founded in 1896 by Charles Friedel, a chemist and mineralogist who headed the school until 1899. At the time, the school was called the Laboratoire de chimie pratique et industrielle. It was located in the 6th arrondissement (rue Michelet), where it stayed until 1923.After the death of Friedel, Henri Moissan took the reins of the school. He was awarded the Nobel Prize for chemistry in 1906, while he was director. Moissan made student admission subject to competitive exams and renamed the school Institut de chimie appliquée (Institute of Applied Chemistry).

Institut océanographique de Paris
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
195 Rue Saint Jacques
Paris, France 75005

+33 1 44 32 10 80

L’Institut océanographique de Paris, rebaptisé Maison des océans et de la biodiversité en 2011, est une institution fondée en 1906 par Albert , prince de Monaco, qui comprend également le Musée océanographique de Monaco.HistoireLe siège de l’Institut océanographique à Paris fut officiellement inauguré le, par le prince Albert et par le président de la république française, Armand Fallières. Le bâtiment de l’Institut est inscrit aux monuments historiques depuis un arrêté du.Il se situe dans le arrondissement de Paris, aux abords du Quartier latin, au croisement des rues Saint-Jacques et rue Gay-Lussac, dans le « Campus Curie » qui regroupe d’autres institutions scientifiques, ancien domaine du couvent des Dames de Saint Michel, acquis par l’université de Paris avec le concours de l’État, de la ville de Paris et de SAS le prince Albert de Monaco, à qui l’université en l’inscrivant en tant que membre bienfaiteur lui céda un terrain de pour y bâtir le siège de la Fondation « Institut océanographique ».Pionnier de l’océanographie, Albert, veut, selon ses propres termes, en être le « propagateur ». Au retour de chacune de ses campagnes, le Prince Albert en présente les principaux résultats aux auditoires les plus qualifiés : Académie des sciences de Paris, dont il est élu membre, Société de biologie, Société zoologique de France, sociétés de géographie qui connaissent alors leur âge d’or dans toute l’Europe… et les universités populaires l’accueillent à plusieurs reprises.

Arènes de Lutèce
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
49 Rue Monge 75005 Paris
Paris, France 75005

The Arènes de Lutèce are among the most important remains from the Gallo-Roman era in Paris (known in antiquity as Lutetia, or Lutèce in French), together with the Thermes de Cluny. Lying in what is now the Quartier Latin, this amphitheater could once seat 15,000 people, and was used to present gladiatorial combats.Constructed in the 1st century AD, this amphitheater is considered the longest of its kind constructed by the Romans. The sunken arena of the amphitheater was surrounded by the wall of a podium 2.5 m (8.2 feet) high, surmounted by a parapet. The presence of a 41.2-m- (135-foot-) long stage allowed scenes to alternate between theatrical productions and combat. A series of nine niches aided in improving the acoustics. Five cubbyholes were situated beneath the lower terraces, of which there appear to have been animal cages that opened directly into the arena. Historians believe that the terraces, which surrounded more than half of the arena's circumference, could accommodate as many as 17,000 spectators.Slaves, the poor, and women were relegated to the higher tiers — while the lower seating areas were reserved for Roman male citizens. For comfort, a linen awning sheltered spectators from the hot sun. Circus acts showcased wild animals. From its vantage point, the amphitheater also afforded a spectacular view of the Bièvre and Seine rivers.When Lutèce was sacked during the barbarian invasions of 280 A.D., some of the structure's stone work was carted off to reinforce the city's defences around the Île de la Cité. Subsequently, the amphitheater became a cemetery, and then it was filled in completely following the construction of wall of Philippe Auguste (ca. 1210).

Saint-Étienne-du-Mont
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Place Sainte-Geneviève
Paris, France 75005

Saint-Étienne-du-Mont is a church in Paris, France, located on the Montagne Sainte-Geneviève in the 5th arrondissement, near the Panthéon. It contains the shrine of St. Geneviève, the patron saint of Paris. The church also contains the tombs of Blaise Pascal and Jean Racine. Jean-Paul Marat is buried in the church's cemetery.The sculpted tympanum, the The Stoning of Saint Stephen, is the work of French sculptor Gabriel-Jules Thomas.Renowned organist, composer, and improviser Maurice Duruflé held the post of Titular Organist at Saint-Étienne-du-Mont from 1929 until his death in 1986.HistoryThe church of Saint-Etienne-du-Mont originated in the abbey of Sainte-Genevieve, where the eponymous saint had been buried in the 6th century. Devoted to the Virgin Mary, then to St. John the Apostle, the place was too small to accommodate all the faithful. In 1222, Pope Honorius III authorized the establishment of an autonomous church, which was devoted this time to St Etienne, then the patron saint of the old cathedral of Paris.

Rue Saint-Jacques, Paris
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Rue Saint-Jacques
Paris, France 75005

0601020304

The Rue Saint-Jacques is a street in the Latin Quarter of Paris which lies along the cardo of Roman Lutetia. The Boulevard Saint-Michel, driven through this old quarter of Paris by Baron Haussmann, relegated the roughly parallel rue Saint-Jacques to a backstreet, but it was a main axial road of medieval Paris, as the buildings that still front it attest. It was the starting point for pilgrims leaving Paris to make their way along the chemin de St-Jacques that led eventually to Santiago de Compostela. The Paris base of the Dominican Order was established in 1218 under the leadership of Pierre Seila in the Chapelle Saint-Jacques, close to the Porte Saint-Jacques, on this street; this is why the Dominicans were called Jacobins in Paris. Johann Heynlin and Guillaume Fichet established the first printing press in France, briefly at the Sorbonne and then on this street, in the 1470s. The second printers in Paris were Peter Kayser and Johann Stohl at the sign of the Soleil d'Or in the Rue Saint-Jacques, from 1473. The proximity of the Sorbonne led many later booksellers and printers to set up shop here also.

THE GAME - Escape if you can
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
51 Rue du Cardinal Lemoine
Paris, France 75005

01 43 29 26 21

Des décors saisissants, des énigmes, des passages secrets et une mission à réaliser en équipe en moins d'une heure ! Enfin, si vous êtes à la hauteur !

Colorova
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
47 rue de l'Abbé-Grégoire
Paris, France 75006

0145446756

En quête de sensations visuelles et culinaires ? Colorova Néo- Salon de thé, pâtisserie, restaurant, lieu multi-couleur, multi-culturel, vous propose du mardi au vendredi ses formules incontournables: Petit déjeuner 9h-11h30 Déjeuner 12h15 jusqu'à 16h Tea time jusqu'à 18h Les Samedi et Dimanche : Brunch (réservation préférable) 11h jusqu'à 17h00 Tous les jours : Nos boissons chaudes (café MALANGO, sélection de Thés THEODOR Bio, chocolat maison..) et Fraîches (Thé glacé Maison, Jus frais, Citronnade, Limonade, lattés et frappés..) Notre signature : Les pâtisseries fines à consommer sur place ou à emporter La nouveauté : La formule à emporter Meatball Sandwich (A partir de septembre) Aux manettes du laboratoire de la rue de l’Abbé Grégoire le créatif Guillaume Gil, ancien pâtissier au Plaza Athénée sous la houlette de Christophe Michalak et à la Maison Blanche des frères Pourcel et son associée Charlotte Siles au service. Tous deux formés dans la prestigieuse école hôtelière Ferrandi, leur passion commune est de satisfaire vos papilles avec des produits frais, de qualité supérieure et de vous offrir un agréable moment dans leur univers atypique et chaleureux. Une invitation au voyage sensoriel..

Law school
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
12 place du Panthéon
Paris, France 75005

+33144783310

A law school is an institution specializing in legal education, usually involved as part of a process for becoming a lawyer within a given jurisdiction.

Rue de Fleurus
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
27 Rue De Fleurus
Paris, France 75006

La rue de Fleurus est une voie située dans les quartiers Notre-Dame-des-Champs et de l'Odéon dans le arrondissement de Paris. La rue débouche sur le jardin du Luxembourg.HistoireLa rue figure sur un projet dressé par Chalgrin en 1779, avec les rues Madame et Jean-Bart. Le lotissement du quartier était donc déjà prévu sous l'Ancien Régime. Une impasse existait dès cette époque, s'étendant sur 104 mètres et se nommant cul-de-sac Notre-Dame-des-Champs. En 1790, elle est prolongée sur des terrains du jardin du Luxembourg, alors propriété de « Monsieur », futur Louis XVIII, sur le tracé de ce qui était jusqu'alors l'allée centrale du jardin. En 1795, à la suite d'une pétition lancée auprès de la population locale par le conseil municipal de l'arrondissement, elle prend le nom de Fleurus en souvenir de la victoire remportée contre les troupes autrichiennes le 26 juin 1794 à la bataille de Fleurus par le général Jourdan. C'est à partir de 1797 que des immeubles y sont bâtis.

Medici Fountain
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Jardin du Luxembourg
Paris, France 75006

The Medici Fountain is a monumental fountain in the Jardin du Luxembourg in the 6th arrondissement in Paris. It was built in about 1630 by Marie de' Medici, the widow of King Henry IV of France and regent of King Louis XIII of France. It was moved to its present location and extensively rebuilt in 1864-66.The Italian Influence in Paris in the 17th centuryThe period between the regency of Catherine de' Medici in France (1559–1589) and that of Marie de' Medici (1610–1642) saw a great flourishing of the Italian mannerist style in France, A community of artists from Florence, including the sculptor Francesco Bordoni, who helped design the statue of King Henry IV of France built on the Pont Neuf, and fountain technician Thomas Francini, who had worked on fountains in the new gardens of the Medici villas in Florence and Rome, found eager royal patrons in France. Soon features of the Italian Renaissance garden, such as elaborate fountains and the grotto, a simulated cave decorated with sculpture, appeared in the first Gardens of the French Renaissance at Fontainebleau and other royal residences.