EuroZoid
Discover The Most Popular Places In Europe

Palatine Hill, Rome | Tourist Information


Via di San Gregorio
Rome, Italy 00186

<>

The Palatine Hill is the centermost of the Seven Hills of Rome and is one of the most ancient parts of the city. It stands 40 metres above the Roman Forum, looking down upon it on one side, and upon the Circus Maximus on the other.It is the etymological origin of the word palace and its cognates in other languages (Italian palazzo, French palais, German Palast, Czech palác, etc.).EtymologyAccording to Livy (59 BC - AD 17) the Palatine hill got its name from the Arcadian settlement of Pallantium. More likely, it is derived from the noun palātum "palate"; Ennius uses it once for the "heaven", and it may be connected with the Etruscan word for sky, falad.The term palace itself stems from Palatium.MythologyAccording to Roman mythology, the Palatine Hill was the location of the cave, known as the Lupercal, where Romulus and Remus were found by the she-wolf Lupa that kept them alive. According to this legend, the shepherd Faustulus thereafter found the infants, and with his wife Acca Larentia raised the children. When they were older, the boys killed their great-uncle (who seized the throne from their grandfather), and they both decided to build a new city of their own on the banks of the River Tiber.

City Near Palatine Hill

Roma
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Roma/112163328795888
Rome, Italy 00100

060608

Firenze
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del duomo
Rome, Italy 50100

<>

Firenze
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del duomo
Rome, Italy 50100

<>

Trastevere
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
Trastevere
Rome, Italy 00153

<>

Verona Italia
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
VIA SALAZZARI
Verona, Italy

<>

Verona Italia
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
VIA SALAZZARI
Verona, Italy

<>

Luiss Guido Carli - Viale Romania
Distance: 2.5 mi Tourist Information
viale Romania 32
Rome, Italy 00197

Teatro San Luigi Guanella
Distance: 2.5 mi Tourist Information
via Girolamo Savonarola 36/m
Rome, Italy 00195

3357194572

Mi piace Roma
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Roma - Città
Rome, Italy

0698875854

Notizie, eventi, curiosità, informazioni utili. Per non perdere nulla di quanto succede a Roma. Per poter dire ancora di più... MI PIACE ROMA!

Mi piace Roma
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Roma - Città
Rome, Italy

0698875854

Notizie, eventi, curiosità, informazioni utili. Per non perdere nulla di quanto succede a Roma. Per poter dire ancora di più... MI PIACE ROMA!

A Roma
Distance: 2.6 mi Tourist Information
viale manzoni
Rome, Italy 00159

<>

Lecce
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
Via Rubichi 16
Lecce, Italy 73100

<>

Lecce
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
Via Rubichi 16
Lecce, Italy 73100

<>

Colli Portuensi
Distance: 2.5 mi Tourist Information
Viale dei Colli Portuensi
Rome, Italy 00151

<>

Tutti i negozi di Viale dei Colli Portuensi /Isacco Newton si mettono in mostra in una comoda passeggiata virtuale! Le pubblicazioni sono un'iniziativa degli esercenti a titolo gratuito, l'amministratore della pagina declina responsabilità sulla veridicità delle didascalie delle immagini

Vatican, Rome
Distance: 2.5 mi Tourist Information
Sestiere Santa Croce
Venice, Italy 00195

<>

Palazzo Colonna
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Via della Pilotta, 17
Rome, Italy 00196

<>

The Palazzo Colonna is a palatial block of buildings in central Rome, Italy, at the base of the Quirinal Hill, and adjacent to the church of Santi Apostoli. It is built in part over ruins of an old Roman Serapeum, and has belonged to the prestigious Colonna family for over twenty generations.HistoryThe first part of the palace dates from the 13th century, and tradition holds that the building hosted Dante in his visit to Rome. The first documentary mention notes that the property hosted Cardinal Giovanni and Giacomo Colonna in the 13th century. It was also home to Cardinal Oddone Colonna before he ascended to the papacy as Martin V (1417–1431).With his passing, the palace was sacked during feuds, and the main property passed into the hands of the Della Rovere family. It returned to the Colonna family when Marcantonio I Colonna married Lucrezia Gara Franciotti Della Rovere, the niece of pope Julius II. The Colonna's alliance to the Habsburg power, likely protected the palace from looting during the Sack of Rome (1527).Starting with Filippo Colonna (1578–1639) many changes have refurbished and create a unitary complex around a central garden. Architects including Girolamo Rainaldi and Paolo Marucelli labored on specific projects. Only in the 17th and 18th centuries were the main facades completed, one facing Piazza SS. Apostoli and the other Via della Pilotta. Much of this design was completed by Antonio del Grande (including the grand gallery), and Girolamo Fontana (decoration of gallery). In the 18th century, the long low facade designed by Nicola Michetti with later additions by Paolo Posi with taller corner blocks (facing Piazza Apostoli) was constructed recalls earlier structures resembling a fortification.

Rione Di Trastevere
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
Lungo Trastevere
Rome, Italy

<>

Róma, Olaszország
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
via colli portuense
Rome, Italy 00043

Piazza Albania "Storiche In Piazza"
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
piazza albania
Rome, Italy 00153

Ambasciata della Repubblica dell’ Azerbaigian in Italia
Distance: 2.2 mi Tourist Information
Viale Regina Margherita, 1
Rome, Italy 00198

+39 06 8530 5557

Historical Place Near Palatine Hill

Colosseum
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo, Roma
Rome, Italy 00184

+39 0677400922

The Colosseum or Coliseum, also known as the Flavian Amphitheatre, is an oval amphitheatre in the centre of the city of Rome, Italy. Built of concrete and sand, it is the largest amphitheatre ever built. The Colosseum is situated just east of the Roman Forum. Construction began under the emperor Vespasian in AD 72, and was completed in AD 80 under his successor and heir Titus. Further modifications were made during the reign of Domitian (81–96). These three emperors are known as the Flavian dynasty, and the amphitheatre was named in Latin for its association with their family name (Flavius).The Colosseum could hold, it is estimated, between 50,000 and 80,000 spectators, having an average audience of some 65,000; it was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles such as mock sea battles (for only a short time as the hypogeum was soon filled in with mechanisms to support the other activities), animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Classical mythology. The building ceased to be used for entertainment in the early medieval era. It was later reused for such purposes as housing, workshops, quarters for a religious order, a fortress, a quarry, and a Christian shrine.

Colosseo
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo
Rome, Italy 00184

ROMA: La Capitale
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
piazza del Campidoglio
Rome, Italy 00186

063330863

Circo Massimo
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via del Circo Massimo
Rome, Italy 00153

Piazza Venezia
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Venezia
Rome, Italy 00187

<>

Piazza Venezia is the central hub of Rome, Italy, in which several thoroughfares intersect, including the Via dei Fori Imperiali and the Via del Corso. It takes its name from the Palazzo Venezia, built by the Venetian Cardinal, Pietro Barbo (later Pope Paul II) alongside the church of Saint Mark, the patron saint of Venice. The Palazzo Venezia served as the embassy of the Republic of Venice in Rome.One side of the Piazza is the site of Italy's Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in the Altare della Patria, part of the imposing Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II, first king of Italy.The piazza or square is at the foot of the Capitoline Hill and next to Trajan's Forum. The main artery, the Viale di Fori Imperiali begins there and leads past the Roman Forum to the Colosseum.In 2009, during excavations in the middle of the square for the construction of the Rome C Metro Line, remains of the emperor Hadrian's Athenaeum were unearthed.

Piazza Del Campidoglio
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Campidoglio
Rome, Italy 00186

Roman Forum and Palantine Hill
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via di San Gregorio,
Rome, Italy 00193

+39 06 0608

Terme Di Caracalla
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Via delle Terme di Caracalla, 52
Rome, Italy 00153

Circus Maximus
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via Ogliastra 34
Rome, Italy 00186

Il Circo Massimo è un antico circo romano, dedicato alle corse di cavalli, costruito a Roma. Situato nella valle tra il Palatino e l'Aventino, è ricordato come sede di giochi sin dagli inizi della storia della città: nella valle sarebbe avvenuto il mitico episodio del ratto delle Sabine, in occasione dei giochi indetti da Romolo in onore del dio Consus. Di certo l'ampio spazio pianeggiante e la sua prossimità all'approdo del Tevere dove dall'antichità più remota si svolgevano gli scambi commerciali, fecero sì che il luogo costituisse fin dalla fondazione della città lo spazio elettivo in cui condurre attività di mercato e di scambi con altre popolazioni, e – di conseguenza – anche le connesse attività rituali (si pensi all'Ara massima di Ercole) e di socializzazione, come giochi e gare.Con i suoi 600 metri di lunghezza e 140 di larghezza, è considerata la più grande struttura per spettacoli costruita dall'uomo.StoriaLe prime installazioni in legno, probabilmente in gran parte mobili, risalirebbero all'epoca di Tarquinio Prisco, nella prima metà del VI secolo a.C. La costruzione di primi impianti stabili risalirebbe al 329 a.C., quando furono edificati i primi carceres. Le prime strutture in muratura, soprattutto legate alle attrezzature per le gare, si ebbero probabilmente solo nel II secolo a.C. e fu Gaio Giulio Cesare a costruire i primi sedili in muratura e a dare la forma definitiva all'edificio, a partire dal 46 a.C.

The Colloseum, Rome Italy
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
crr
Rome, Italy 00184

Altare della Patria
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Venezia
Rome, Italy 00186

The Altare della Patria, also known as the Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele II or Il Vittoriano, is a monument built in honour of Victor Emmanuel, the first king of a unified Italy, located in Rome, Italy. It occupies a site between the Piazza Venezia and the Capitoline Hill.The eclectic structure was designed by Giuseppe Sacconi in 1885; sculpture for it was parceled out to established sculptors all over Italy, such as Leonardo Bistolfi and Angelo Zanelli. It was inaugurated in 1911 and completed in 1925.The Vittoriano features stairways, Corinthian columns, fountains, an equestrian sculpture of Victor Emmanuel and two statues of the goddess Victoria riding on quadrigas. The structure is 135m wide and 70m high. If the quadrigae and winged victories are included, the height reaches 81m. It has a total area of 17,000 square metres.The base of the structure houses the museum of Italian Unification. In 2007, a panoramic lift was added to the structure, allowing visitors to ride up to the roof for 360 degree views of Rome.

Fori Imperiali Colosseo - Roma
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via dei Fori Imperiali
Rome, Italy 00186

<>

Arch of Constantine
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo
Rome, Italy 00184

The Arch of Constantine is a triumphal arch in Rome, situated between the Colosseum and the Palatine Hill. It was erected by the Roman Senate to commemorate Constantine I's victory over Maxentius at the Battle of Milvian Bridge in 312. Dedicated in 315, it is the largest Roman triumphal arch. The arch spans the Via triumphalis, the way taken by the emperors when they entered the city in triumph.Though dedicated to Constantine, much of the decorative material incorporated earlier work from the time of the emperors Trajan, Hadrian and Marcus Aurelius, and is thus a collage. The last of the existing triumphal arches in Rome, it is also the only one to make extensive use of spolia, reusing several major reliefs from 2nd century imperial monuments, which give a striking and famous stylistic contrast to the sculpture newly created for the arch. This earned it the derisive nickname of Cornacchia di Esopo Aesop's Crow.The arch is 21 m high, 25.9 m wide and 7.4 m deep. It has three archways, the central one being 11.5 m high and 6.5 m wide and the lateral archways 7.4 m by 3.4 m each. Above the archways is placed the attic, composed of brickwork reveted with marble. A staircase within the arch is entered from a door at some height from the ground, on the west side, facing the Palatine Hill. The general design with a main part structured by detached columns and an attic with the main inscription above is modelled after the example of the Arch of Septimius Severus on the Roman Forum.

Quirinale
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Quirinale 1
Rome, Italy 00187

3348166150

Arco di Costantino
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via di San Gregorio
Rome, Italy 00186

L'arco di Costantino è un arco trionfale a tre fornici, situato a Roma, a breve distanza dal Colosseo. Oltre alla notevole importanza storica come monumento, l'Arco può essere considerato come un vero e proprio museo di scultura romana ufficiale, straordinario per ricchezza e importanza. Le dimensioni generali del prospetto sono di 21 m di altezza, 25,9 metri di larghezza e 7,4 m di profondità.

Colosseo di Roma
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo, 1
Rome, Italy 00198

0559757007

Palazzo Grazioli
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Via del Plebiscito, 102
Rome, Italy 00186

Tiber Island
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza di San Bartolomeo all'isola, 22
Rome, Italy 00153

<>

The Tiber Island is the only island in the Tiber river which runs through Rome. Tiber island is located in the southern bend of the Tiber.The island is boat-shaped, approximately 270m long and 67m wide, and has been connected with bridges to both sides of the river since antiquity. Being a seat of the ancient temple of Asclepius and later a hospital, the island is associated with medicine and healing.HistoryThe island has been linked to the rest of Rome by two bridges since antiquity, and was once called Insula Inter-Duos-Pontes which means "the island between the two bridges". The Ponte Fabricio, the only original bridge in Rome, connects the island from the northeast to the Field of Mars in the rione Sant'Angelo (left bank). The Ponte Cestio, of which only some original parts survived, connects the island to Trastevere on the south (right bank).There is a legend which says that after the fall of the hated tyrant Tarquinius Superbus (510 BC), the angry Romans threw his body into the Tiber. His body then settled onto the bottom where dirt and silt accumulated around it and eventually formed Tiber Island. Another version of the legend says that the people gathered up the wheat and grain of their despised ruler and threw it into the Tiber, where it eventually became the foundation of the island.

Mouth Of Truth
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Bocca della Verita 18
Rome, Italy 00186

+39 06 678 7759

Piazza Santi Apostoli Roma
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza dei Santi Apostoli
Rome, Italy 00187

<>

Landmark Near Palatine Hill

Colosseum
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo, Roma
Rome, Italy 00184

+39 0677400922

The Colosseum or Coliseum, also known as the Flavian Amphitheatre, is an oval amphitheatre in the centre of the city of Rome, Italy. Built of concrete and sand, it is the largest amphitheatre ever built. The Colosseum is situated just east of the Roman Forum. Construction began under the emperor Vespasian in AD 72, and was completed in AD 80 under his successor and heir Titus. Further modifications were made during the reign of Domitian (81–96). These three emperors are known as the Flavian dynasty, and the amphitheatre was named in Latin for its association with their family name (Flavius).The Colosseum could hold, it is estimated, between 50,000 and 80,000 spectators, having an average audience of some 65,000; it was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles such as mock sea battles (for only a short time as the hypogeum was soon filled in with mechanisms to support the other activities), animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Classical mythology. The building ceased to be used for entertainment in the early medieval era. It was later reused for such purposes as housing, workshops, quarters for a religious order, a fortress, a quarry, and a Christian shrine.

Circo Massimo
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via del Circo Massimo
Rome, Italy 00153

Piazza Del Campidoglio
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Campidoglio
Rome, Italy 00186

Giardino degli Aranci
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Via di Santa Sabina
Rome, Italy 00153

Circus Maximus
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via Ogliastra 34
Rome, Italy 00186

Il Circo Massimo è un antico circo romano, dedicato alle corse di cavalli, costruito a Roma. Situato nella valle tra il Palatino e l'Aventino, è ricordato come sede di giochi sin dagli inizi della storia della città: nella valle sarebbe avvenuto il mitico episodio del ratto delle Sabine, in occasione dei giochi indetti da Romolo in onore del dio Consus. Di certo l'ampio spazio pianeggiante e la sua prossimità all'approdo del Tevere dove dall'antichità più remota si svolgevano gli scambi commerciali, fecero sì che il luogo costituisse fin dalla fondazione della città lo spazio elettivo in cui condurre attività di mercato e di scambi con altre popolazioni, e – di conseguenza – anche le connesse attività rituali (si pensi all'Ara massima di Ercole) e di socializzazione, come giochi e gare.Con i suoi 600 metri di lunghezza e 140 di larghezza, è considerata la più grande struttura per spettacoli costruita dall'uomo.StoriaLe prime installazioni in legno, probabilmente in gran parte mobili, risalirebbero all'epoca di Tarquinio Prisco, nella prima metà del VI secolo a.C. La costruzione di primi impianti stabili risalirebbe al 329 a.C., quando furono edificati i primi carceres. Le prime strutture in muratura, soprattutto legate alle attrezzature per le gare, si ebbero probabilmente solo nel II secolo a.C. e fu Gaio Giulio Cesare a costruire i primi sedili in muratura e a dare la forma definitiva all'edificio, a partire dal 46 a.C.

Circus Maximus
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via Ogliastra 34
Rome, Italy 00186

Il Circo Massimo è un antico circo romano, dedicato alle corse di cavalli, costruito a Roma. Situato nella valle tra il Palatino e l'Aventino, è ricordato come sede di giochi sin dagli inizi della storia della città: nella valle sarebbe avvenuto il mitico episodio del ratto delle Sabine, in occasione dei giochi indetti da Romolo in onore del dio Consus. Di certo l'ampio spazio pianeggiante e la sua prossimità all'approdo del Tevere dove dall'antichità più remota si svolgevano gli scambi commerciali, fecero sì che il luogo costituisse fin dalla fondazione della città lo spazio elettivo in cui condurre attività di mercato e di scambi con altre popolazioni, e – di conseguenza – anche le connesse attività rituali (si pensi all'Ara massima di Ercole) e di socializzazione, come giochi e gare.Con i suoi 600 metri di lunghezza e 140 di larghezza, è considerata la più grande struttura per spettacoli costruita dall'uomo.StoriaLe prime installazioni in legno, probabilmente in gran parte mobili, risalirebbero all'epoca di Tarquinio Prisco, nella prima metà del VI secolo a.C. La costruzione di primi impianti stabili risalirebbe al 329 a.C., quando furono edificati i primi carceres. Le prime strutture in muratura, soprattutto legate alle attrezzature per le gare, si ebbero probabilmente solo nel II secolo a.C. e fu Gaio Giulio Cesare a costruire i primi sedili in muratura e a dare la forma definitiva all'edificio, a partire dal 46 a.C.

Altare della Patria
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Venezia
Rome, Italy 00186

The Altare della Patria, also known as the Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele II or Il Vittoriano, is a monument built in honour of Victor Emmanuel, the first king of a unified Italy, located in Rome, Italy. It occupies a site between the Piazza Venezia and the Capitoline Hill.The eclectic structure was designed by Giuseppe Sacconi in 1885; sculpture for it was parceled out to established sculptors all over Italy, such as Leonardo Bistolfi and Angelo Zanelli. It was inaugurated in 1911 and completed in 1925.The Vittoriano features stairways, Corinthian columns, fountains, an equestrian sculpture of Victor Emmanuel and two statues of the goddess Victoria riding on quadrigas. The structure is 135m wide and 70m high. If the quadrigae and winged victories are included, the height reaches 81m. It has a total area of 17,000 square metres.The base of the structure houses the museum of Italian Unification. In 2007, a panoramic lift was added to the structure, allowing visitors to ride up to the roof for 360 degree views of Rome.

Piazza Madonna Dei Monti
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Madonna Dei Monti
Rome, Italy 00184

Fori Imperiali Colosseo - Roma
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via dei Fori Imperiali
Rome, Italy 00186

<>

Colosseo di Roma
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo, 1
Rome, Italy 00198

0559757007

Basilica di San Pietro in Vincoli
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza di San Pietro in Vincoli, 4a
Rome, Italy 00184

0697844950

Trajan's Forum
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Campus Martius
Rome, Italy 00187

<>

Trajan's Forum was the last of the Imperial fora to be constructed in ancient Rome. The architect Apollodorus of Damascus oversaw its construction.HistoryThis forum was built on the order of the emperor Trajan with the spoils of war from the conquest of Dacia, which ended in 106. The Fasti Ostienses state that the Forum was inaugurated in 112, while Trajan's Column was erected and then inaugurated in 113.To build this monumental complex, extensive excavations were required: workers eliminated the sides of the Quirinal and Capitoline (Campidoglio) Hills, which closed the valley occupied by the Imperial forums toward the Campus Martius.It is possible that the excavations were initiated under Emperor Domitian, while the project of the Forum was completely attributed to the architect Apollodorus of Damascus, who also accompanied Emperor Trajan in the Dacian campaign.During the time of the construction, several other projects took place: the construction of the Markets of Trajan, and the renovation of the Caesar's Forum (where the Basilica Argentaria was built) and the Temple of Venus Genetrix.

Theatre of Marcellus
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Via di Monte Savello 30
Rome, Italy 00186

The Theatre of Marcellus is an ancient open-air theatre in Rome, Italy, built in the closing years of the Roman Republic. At the theatre, locals and visitors alike were able to watch performances of drama and song. Today its ancient edifice in the rione of Sant'Angelo, Rome, once again provides one of the city's many popular spectacles or tourist sites. Space for the theatre was cleared by Julius Caesar, who was murdered before its construction could begin; the theatre was so far advanced by 17 BC that part of the celebration of the ludi saeculares took place within the theatre; it was completed in 13 BC and formally inaugurated in 12 BC by Augustus.The theatre was 111 m in diameter and was the largest and most important theatre in Ancient Rome; it could originally hold between 11,000 and 20,000 spectators. It was an impressive example of what was to become one of the most pervasive urban architectural forms of the Roman world. The theatre was built mainly of tuff, and concrete faced with stones in the pattern known as opus reticulatum, completely sheathed in white travertine. However, it is also the earliest dateable building in Rome to make use of fired Roman brick, then a new introduction from the Greek world.

Forum of Caesar
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Via del Tulliano, 1
Rome, Italy 00186

The Forum of Caesar, also known as Forum Iulium or Forum Julium, Forum Caesaris, is a forum (or plaza) built by Julius Caesar near the Forum Romanum in Rome in 46 BC.ConstructionCaesar decided to construct a forum bearing his name in the northeast section of the Forum Romanum, of which he purchased a very expensive, select amount of parcels of land in that area. Forum construction began in 54 BC, and it was dedicated to Caesar and his deeds in 46 BC upon completion. Some scholars, however, believe that Augustus furnished the west side with the shops and offices that were considered part of the Forum of Caesar, therefore being the one to see its completion. The Forum spanned from the Argiletum on the southeast side of the Forum Romanum to the Atrium Libertatis and spanned 160 meters by 75 meters. As part of the dedication, lavish games were offered and funded by Caesar, indicating the staggering cost and thus the personal interest that Caesar had invested in the project.PurposeThe Forum of Caesar originally meant an expansion of the Forum Romanum. The Forum, however, evolved so that it served two additional purposes. As Caesar became more and more involved in this project, the Forum became a place for public business that was related to the Senate in addition to a shrine for Caesar himself as well as Venus Genetrix.Before his assassination, Caesar would have the Senate meet him before his temple, an act deemed very unpopular by the Senate. The Forum of Caesar also had an effect on the Curia, which Caesar began to reconstruct in 44 BC. This reconstruction moved the Forum of Caesar much closer to the Curia. The ten tabernae located on the western side of the Forum and its now close approximation to the Senate house symbolized the unity that Caesar felt between himself and the Senate.

Basilica of Santa Maria in Ara Coeli
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Campidoglio 55
Rome, Italy 00187

The Basilica of St. Mary of the Altar of Heaven (Basilica Sanctae Mariae de Ara coeli in Capitolium, Basilica di Santa Maria in Ara coeli al Campidoglio) is a titular basilica in Rome, located on the highest summit of the Campidoglio. It is still the designated Church of the city council of Rome, which uses the ancient title of Senatus Populusque Romanus. The present Cardinal Priest of the Titulus Sancta Mariae de Aracoeli is Salvatore De Giorgi.The shrine is known for housing relics belonging to Saint Helena, mother of Emperor Constantine, various minor relics from the Holy Sepulchre, the canonically crowned image of Santa Maria di Aracoeli on the high altar and the Santo Bambino of Aracoeli.HistoryOriginally the church was named Sancta Maria in Capitolio, since it was sited on the Capitoline Hill (Campidoglio, in Italian) of Ancient Rome; by the 14th century it had been renamed. A medieval legend included in the mid-12th-century guide to Rome, Mirabilia Urbis Romae, claimed that the church was built over an Augustan Ara primogeniti Dei, in the place where the Tiburtine Sibyl prophesied to Augustus the coming of the Christ. "For this reason the figures of Augustus and of the Tiburtine sibyl are painted on either side of the arch above the high altar" (Lanciani chapter 1). A later legend substituted an apparition of the Virgin Mary. In the Middle Ages, condemned criminals were executed at the foot of the steps; there the self-proclaimed Tribune and reviver of the Roman Republic Cola di Rienzo met his death, near the spot where his statue commemorates him.

Forum of Augustus
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Foro Traiano
Rome, Italy 00184

<>

The Forum of Augustus is one of the Imperial forums of Rome, Italy, built by Augustus. It includes the Temple of Mars Ultor.HistoryThe triumvir Octavian vowed to build a temple honoring Mars, the Roman God of War, during the battle of Philippi in 42 BC. After winning the battle, with the help of Mark Antony and Lepidus, Octavian had avenged the assassination (murder) of his adoptive father Julius Caesar. He became the Princeps of Rome in 27 BC under the name Augustus, and planned for the temple to be built in a new forum named after himself. Augustus used social propaganda by continuing Julius Caesar's will to create a Temple to Mars Ultor "greater than any in existence", by placing it within the Temple, linking himself to his divine adopted father, obtaining a strong link to the Roman population through their love for the deceased dictator.The land the Forum was to be built on was already owned by Augustus himself. However, the initial plans called for more space than he had. In order to keep those on the land he would need to purchase to build upon, the plans were altered slightly, so some asymmetry is apparent, especially in the Eastern corner of the precinct; for which Suetonius states that Augustus did not want to take the houses of the nearby owners by force. This self-proclaimed good deed was more than likely just a ploy to save Augustus money and trouble. These land issues, as well as numerous architectural mishaps, prolonged construction. The incomplete forum and its temple were inaugurated, 40 years after they were first vowed, in 2 BC. In 19 AD Tiberius added two triumphal arches either side of the temple in honour of Drusus the Elder and Germanicus and their victories in Germania.

Santa Sabina
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Pietro d'Illiria, 1
Rome, Italy 00040

0657941

The Basilica of Saint Sabina is a historical church on the Aventine Hill in Rome, Italy. It is a titular minor basilica and mother church of the Roman Catholic Order of Preachers, better known as the Dominicans. Santa Sabina is perched high above the Tiber river to the north and the Circus Maximus to the east. It is next to small public park Giardino degli Aranci, which has a scenic terrace overlooking Rome. It is a short distance to the headquarters of the Knights of Malta.Santa Sabina is the oldest extant Roman basilica in Rome that preserves its original colonnaded rectangular plan and architectural style. Its decorations have been restored to their original restrained design. Other basilicas, such as Santa Maria Maggiore, are often heavily and gaudily decorated. Because of its simplicity, the Santa Sabina represents the crossover from a roofed Roman forum to the churches of Christendom. Its Cardinal Priest is Jozef Tomko. It is the stational church for Ash Wednesday.

Temple of Hercules Victor
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Bocca della Verità
Rome, Italy 00186

The Temple of Hercules Victor or Hercules Olivarius is a Roman temple in Piazza Bocca della Verità, in the area of the Forum Boarium close to the Tiber in Rome. It is a monopteros, a round temple of Greek 'peripteral' design completely encircled by a colonnade. This layout caused it to be mistaken for a temple of Vesta until it was correctly identified by Napoleon's Prefect of Rome, Camille de Tournon. Despite the Forum Boarium's role as the cattle-market for ancient Rome, the Temple of Hercules is the subject of a folk belief claiming that neither flies nor dogs will enter the holy place.DescriptionDating from the later 2nd century BC, and perhaps erected by L. Mummius Achaicus, conqueror of the Achaeans and destroyer of Corinth, the temple is 14.8 m in diameter and consists of a circular cella within a concentric ring of twenty Corinthian columns 10.66 m tall, resting on a tuff foundation. These elements supported an architrave and roof, which have disappeared. The original wall of the cella, built of travertine and marble blocks, and nineteen of the originally twenty columns remain but the current tile roof was added later. Palladio's published reconstruction suggested a dome, though this was apparently erroneous. The temple is the earliest surviving marble building in Rome.

Temple of Hercules Victor
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Bocca della Verità
Rome, Italy 00186

The Temple of Hercules Victor or Hercules Olivarius is a Roman temple in Piazza Bocca della Verità, in the area of the Forum Boarium close to the Tiber in Rome. It is a monopteros, a round temple of Greek 'peripteral' design completely encircled by a colonnade. This layout caused it to be mistaken for a temple of Vesta until it was correctly identified by Napoleon's Prefect of Rome, Camille de Tournon. Despite the Forum Boarium's role as the cattle-market for ancient Rome, the Temple of Hercules is the subject of a folk belief claiming that neither flies nor dogs will enter the holy place.DescriptionDating from the later 2nd century BC, and perhaps erected by L. Mummius Achaicus, conqueror of the Achaeans and destroyer of Corinth, the temple is 14.8 m in diameter and consists of a circular cella within a concentric ring of twenty Corinthian columns 10.66 m tall, resting on a tuff foundation. These elements supported an architrave and roof, which have disappeared. The original wall of the cella, built of travertine and marble blocks, and nineteen of the originally twenty columns remain but the current tile roof was added later. Palladio's published reconstruction suggested a dome, though this was apparently erroneous. The temple is the earliest surviving marble building in Rome.

Temple of Saturn
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via Sacra, Roman Forum
Rome, Italy 00187

The Temple of Saturn is a temple to the god Saturn in ancient Rome. The original dedication of a temple to Saturn was traditionally dated to 497 BC, but ancient writers disagreed greatly about the history of this site. The ruins of the temple stand at the foot of the Capitoline Hill in the western end of the Forum Romanum.ArchaeologyGradual collapse has left nothing but the remains of the front portico standing. The partially preserved pediment displays the inscription Senatus Populusque Romanus incendio consumptum restituit, meaning "The Senate and People of Rome have restored what fire consumed". The pediment and eight surviving columns represent one of the iconic images of Rome's ancient architectural heritage.HistoryConstruction of the temple is thought to have begun in the later years of the Roman Kingdom under Tarquinius Superbus. Its inauguration by the Consul Titus Lartius took place in the early years of the Republic. The temple was completely reconstructed by Munatius Plancus in 42 BC.

Local Business Near Palatine Hill

Roman Forum and Palantine Hill
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via di San Gregorio,
Rome, Italy 00193

+39 06 0608

Terrazza Caffarelli
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
piazza caffarelli
Rome, Italy 00186

<>

Vila Borghese
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Ponte Fabricio
Rome, Italy 00185

Monti, Roma
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
via marziale 47
Rome, Italy 00184

Roseto Di Roma Capitale
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via Di Valle Murcia
Rome, Italy

Giardino delle Rose - Roma
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via Latina 86
Rome, Italy 00153

06.7887555

Campidoglio - Sala Rossa
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Campidoglio
Rome, Italy

Il pentagrappolo, enoteca & live music
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Via Celimontana 21
Rome, Italy 00184

06.7096301

Metro Colosseo
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via dei Fori Imperiali
Rome, Italy 00186

<>

L'isola Del Cinema - Isola Tiberina
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
isola tiberina
Rome, Italy 00186

Terra Satis
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
piazza dei ponziani 1/A
Rome, Italy 00153

0698936909

Ristorante Wanted
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Via Dei Serpenti 166
Rome, Italy 00184

0648905230

'Life is a Book,and you are my Favorite Chapter'
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
city of 1000000 loverz
Rome, Italy

Santeo
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via Di San Teodoro 88
Rome, Italy 00186

0669920945

Roma Ospedale Fatebenefratelli Isola Tiberina
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
piazza fatebenefratelli 1
Rome, Italy 00186

0668371

Frosione, Italy
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
italia frosinone
Rome, Italy

Anima Mundi
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via del Velabro 1
Rome, Italy 00161

Roma Parco Del Colle Oppio, viale Della Domus Aurea
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Viale Della Domus Aurea
Rome, Italy

Piazza Dei Mercanti
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
piazza dei mercanti
Rome, Italy 00153

San Nicola In Carcere
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Via Del Teatro Di Marcello 46
Rome, Italy 00186

066869972

Monument Near Palatine Hill

Colosseum
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo, Roma
Rome, Italy 00184

+39 0677400922

The Colosseum or Coliseum, also known as the Flavian Amphitheatre, is an oval amphitheatre in the centre of the city of Rome, Italy. Built of concrete and sand, it is the largest amphitheatre ever built. The Colosseum is situated just east of the Roman Forum. Construction began under the emperor Vespasian in AD 72, and was completed in AD 80 under his successor and heir Titus. Further modifications were made during the reign of Domitian (81–96). These three emperors are known as the Flavian dynasty, and the amphitheatre was named in Latin for its association with their family name (Flavius).The Colosseum could hold, it is estimated, between 50,000 and 80,000 spectators, having an average audience of some 65,000; it was used for gladiatorial contests and public spectacles such as mock sea battles (for only a short time as the hypogeum was soon filled in with mechanisms to support the other activities), animal hunts, executions, re-enactments of famous battles, and dramas based on Classical mythology. The building ceased to be used for entertainment in the early medieval era. It was later reused for such purposes as housing, workshops, quarters for a religious order, a fortress, a quarry, and a Christian shrine.

Colosseo
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo
Rome, Italy 00184

Pantheon
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Rotonda
Rome, Italy 00186

0698875854

Appena entrate alzate gli occhi al cielo, un fascio di sole catturerà la vostra attenzione, uno spettacolare raggio di luce filtra obliquo attraverso l’oculus, l’apertura circolare larga 9 m sulla sommità della cupola, illuminando l’intero edificio. In caso di pioggia riparatevi e osservate l’acqua che cade giù prima di sparire nei 22 fori quasi invisibili del pavimento. Dedicato al culto di tutti gli dei (Pan- tutti Theon- divinità), il Pantheon fu costruito dall’imperatore Adriano tra il 118 e il 125 d.c. sui resti di un precedente tempio del 27 a.c. di cui porta ancora l’iscrizione e consacrato come chiesa cristiana nel 609 con il nome di Santa Maria ad Martyres. Nel 1870 è divenuto sacrario dei re d’Italia, e accoglie, le spoglie di Vittorio Emanuele II, Umberto I e Margherita di Savoia. Vi è anche sepolto il sommo artista rinascimentale Raffaello Sanzio.

Piazza Venezia
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Venezia
Rome, Italy 00187

<>

Piazza Venezia is the central hub of Rome, Italy, in which several thoroughfares intersect, including the Via dei Fori Imperiali and the Via del Corso. It takes its name from the Palazzo Venezia, built by the Venetian Cardinal, Pietro Barbo (later Pope Paul II) alongside the church of Saint Mark, the patron saint of Venice. The Palazzo Venezia served as the embassy of the Republic of Venice in Rome.One side of the Piazza is the site of Italy's Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in the Altare della Patria, part of the imposing Monument to Vittorio Emanuele II, first king of Italy.The piazza or square is at the foot of the Capitoline Hill and next to Trajan's Forum. The main artery, the Viale di Fori Imperiali begins there and leads past the Roman Forum to the Colosseum.In 2009, during excavations in the middle of the square for the construction of the Rome C Metro Line, remains of the emperor Hadrian's Athenaeum were unearthed.

Castel Sant'Angelo
Distance: 1.5 mi Tourist Information
Lungotevere Castello, 50
Rome, Italy 00193

The Mausoleum of Hadrian, usually known as Castel Sant'Angelo, is a towering cylindrical building in Parco Adriano, Rome, Italy. It was initially commissioned by the Roman Emperor Hadrian as a mausoleum for himself and his family. The building was later used by the popes as a fortress and castle, and is now a museum. The Castle was once the tallest building in Rome.Hadrian's tombThe tomb of the Roman emperor Hadrian, also called Hadrian's mole, was erected on the right bank of the Tiber, between 134 and 139 AD. Originally the mausoleum was a decorated cylinder, with a garden top and golden quadriga. Hadrian's ashes were placed here a year after his death in Baiae in 138, together with those of his wife Sabina, and his first adopted son, Lucius Aelius, who also died in 138. Following this, the remains of succeeding emperors were also placed here, the last recorded deposition being Caracalla in 217. The urns containing these ashes were probably placed in what is now known as the Treasury room deep within the building. Hadrian also built the Pons Aelius facing straight onto the mausoleum – it still provides a scenic approach from the center of Rome and the left bank of the Tiber, and is renowned for the Baroque additions of statues of angels holding aloft elements of the Passion of Christ.

Basilica di San Pietro (Saint Peter's Basilica)
Distance: 1.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza San Pietro
Rome, Italy 00120

+ 39.06 69 88 23 50

Palazzo del Quirinale
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Quirinale
Rome, Italy 00187

3348166150

Altare della Patria
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Venezia
Rome, Italy 00186

The Altare della Patria, also known as the Monumento Nazionale a Vittorio Emanuele II or Il Vittoriano, is a monument built in honour of Victor Emmanuel, the first king of a unified Italy, located in Rome, Italy. It occupies a site between the Piazza Venezia and the Capitoline Hill.The eclectic structure was designed by Giuseppe Sacconi in 1885; sculpture for it was parceled out to established sculptors all over Italy, such as Leonardo Bistolfi and Angelo Zanelli. It was inaugurated in 1911 and completed in 1925.The Vittoriano features stairways, Corinthian columns, fountains, an equestrian sculpture of Victor Emmanuel and two statues of the goddess Victoria riding on quadrigas. The structure is 135m wide and 70m high. If the quadrigae and winged victories are included, the height reaches 81m. It has a total area of 17,000 square metres.The base of the structure houses the museum of Italian Unification. In 2007, a panoramic lift was added to the structure, allowing visitors to ride up to the roof for 360 degree views of Rome.

Restauro Fontana di Trevi
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Fontana di Trevi
Rome, Italy 00100

Alla Fontana di Trevi e al suo restauro sono dedicati un sito web e un'app smartphone per iPhone e dispositivi Android. Il sito web sarà raggiungibile agli indirizzi www.restaurofontanaditrevi.it e www.trevifountain.it . L’app smartphone Fontana di Trevi sarà, invece, scaricabile gratuitamente su App store o Google Play. La navigazione interattiva con Timeline Il sito web e l’app contengono una sezione tematica che illustra il progetto di RESTAURO e che consentirà al pubblico di seguire l'andamento dei lavori. Una specifica area tematica è, inoltre, dedicata alla Fontana, di cui l'utente potrà ripercorrere la STORIA e le fasi della COSTRUZIONE. La sezione IMMAGINARIO, infine, propone una selezione di contenuti fotografici e audio/video che mostra come Fontana di Trevi sia divenuta nel tempo uno dei monumenti più celebri al mondo. Caratteristica del sito è la navigazione in modalità Timeline, che consente al visitatore di visualizzare i contenuti sulla base di una linea temporale grafica. Scatta il tuo SELFIE! L’app smatphone Fontana di Trevi consentirà a tutti i visitatori della fontana (entro una distanza georeferenziata di 200 metri) di scattare un selfie con l’apposito tasto “Scatta il Tuo Selfie”. Le foto scattate dai visitatori saranno raccolte in un’area del sito web, mentre ogni utente, che invierà il selfie, riceverà via mail un poster della Fontana di Trevi personalizzato con la propria foto. Il lancio della MONETINA Sempre tramite l’applicazione smartphone, sarà possibile lanciare nella fontana una monetina virtuale e celebrare così il gesto che, secondo la nota tradizione, esprime il desiderio di ogni turista di ritornare un giorno a Roma.

Vittoriano, piazza Venezia
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
piazza Venezia
Rome, Italy

Ponte Sant'Angelo
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
Ponte Sant'Angelo
Rome, Italy 00186

Ponte Sant'Angelo, once the Aelian Bridge or Pons Aelius, meaning the Bridge of Hadrian, is a Roman bridge in Rome, Italy, completed in 134 AD by Roman Emperor Hadrian, to span the Tiber, from the city center to his newly constructed mausoleum, now the towering Castel Sant'Angelo. The bridge is faced with travertine marble and spans the Tiber with five arches, three of which are Roman; it was approached by means of ramp from the river. The bridge is now solely pedestrian, and provides a photogenic vista of the Castel Sant'Angelo. It links the rioni of Ponte (which was named after the bridge itself), and Borgo, to whom the bridge administratively belongs.HistoryStarting with the early Middle Ages, the original name went forgotten: after the ruin of the Nero's Bridge, pilgrims were forced to use this bridge to reach St Peter's Basilica, hence it was known also with the name of "bridge of Saint Peter" (pons Sancti Petri). In the sixth century, under Pope Gregory I, both the castle and the bridge took on the name Sant'Angelo, explained by a legend that an angel appeared on the roof of the castle to announce the end of the plague. Dante writes in his Comedy that during the jubilee of 1300, due to the large number of pilgrims going and coming from Saint Peter, two separate lanes were arranged on the bridge. During the 1450 jubilee, balustrades of the bridge yielded, due to the great crowds of the pilgrims, and many drowned in the river. In response, some houses at the head of the bridge as well as a Roman triumphal arch were pulled down in order to widen the route for pilgrims.

Quirinale
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Quirinale 1
Rome, Italy 00187

3348166150

Arco di Costantino
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via di San Gregorio
Rome, Italy 00186

L'arco di Costantino è un arco trionfale a tre fornici, situato a Roma, a breve distanza dal Colosseo. Oltre alla notevole importanza storica come monumento, l'Arco può essere considerato come un vero e proprio museo di scultura romana ufficiale, straordinario per ricchezza e importanza. Le dimensioni generali del prospetto sono di 21 m di altezza, 25,9 metri di larghezza e 7,4 m di profondità.

Bocca della Verità
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via della Greca, 4
Rome, Italy 00186

La Bocca della Verità is an image, carved from Pavonazzo marble, of a man-like face, located in the portico of the church of Santa Maria in Cosmedin in Rome, Italy. The sculpture is thought to be part of a first-century ancient Roman fountain, or perhaps a manhole cover, portraying one of several possible pagan gods, probably Oceanus. Most Romans believe that the 'Bocca' represents the ancient god of the river Tiber.The most famous characteristic of the Mouth, however, is its role as a lie detector. Starting from the Middle Ages, it was believed that if one told a lie with one's hand in the mouth of the sculpture, it would be bitten off. There was also a medieval legend, wrongly believed to originate with the Roman poet Virgil, of an adulterous empress who managed to deceive her husband in a trial using the Mouth. This is an infrequent subject in medieval and Renaissance art, forming part of the Power of Women literary topos. The piece was placed in the portico of the Santa Maria in Cosmedin in the 17th century. This church is also home to the relics of Saint Valentine.

Colosseo di Roma
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo, 1
Rome, Italy 00198

0559757007

Phanteon Roma
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Rotonda
Rome, Italy

Gazometro
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
via del Commercio
Rome, Italy 00154

Tempio di Adriano - Roma
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Piazza di Pietra
Rome, Italy 00186

+ 39 06 6789345

Casa dell'Architettura
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Manfredo Fanti 47
Rome, Italy 00185

Tel. +39 06 97604580 Fax +39 06 97604581

gli eventi della Casa dell'Architettura piazza Manfredo Fanti 47, 00185 Roma

Teatro dell'Opera di Roma
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Beniamino Gigli, 1, 00184 - Roma
Rome, Italy 00184

The Teatro dell'Opera di Roma is an opera house in Rome, Italy. Originally opened in November 1880 as the 2,212 seat Costanzi Theatre, it has undergone several changes of name as well modifications and improvements. The present house seats 1,600.The original Teatro Costanzi: 1880 to 1926The Teatro dell'Opera was originally known as the Teatro Costanzi after the contractor who built it, Domenico Costanzi (1810-1898). It was financed by Costanzi, who commissioned the Milanese architect Achille Sfondrini (1836-1900), a specialist in the building and renovation of theatres. The opera house was built in eighteen months, on the site where the house of Heliogabalus stood in ancient times, and was inaugurated on 27 November 1880 with a performance of Semiramide by Gioachino Rossini.Designing the theatre, Sfondrini paid particular attention to the acoustics, conceiving the interior structure as a "resonance chamber", as is evident from the horseshoe shape in particular. With a seating capacity of 2,212, the house had three tiers of boxes, an amphitheatre and two separate galleries, surmounted by a dome adorned with splendid frescoes by Annibale Brugnoli.Costanzi was obliged to manage the theater himself. Under his direction, and despite financial problems, the opera house held many world premieres of operas, including Cavalleria rusticana by Pietro Mascagni on 17 May 1890. For a brief period the theatre was managed by Costanzi's son, Enrico, who gained renown by organizing another great premiere, that of Tosca by Giacomo Puccini on 14 January 1900.

Museum Near Palatine Hill

Palazzo delle Esposizioni
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Via Nazionale, 194
Rome, Italy 00184

+39 06 39967500 - call center

Chiostro del Bramante
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
via Arco della Pace,5
Rome, Italy 00186

06.68809035

DART Chiostro del Bramante è l’istituzione che gestisce tutte le attività dello spazio museale e polivalente del Chiostro del Bramante. La sua missione è da sempre quella di rendere il Chiostro uno spazio aperto al pubblico con una offerta di servizi culturali e di incontro sociale a 360°. Il Chiostro del Bramante, nel cuore della capitale, a due passi da Piazza Navona, offre in ogni stagione lo spettacolo unico della sua architettura rinascimentale, che a seguito di una innovativa opera di restauro, si è andata ad integrare perfettamente con i nuovi servizi museali - Sale Espositive, Caffetteria Bistrot, Store, Bookshop, Accomodation - attribuendo al complesso museale una nuova visione. Il Chiostro del Bramante oltre ad ospitare rilevanti mostre di arte moderna e contemporanea è difatti un luogo di socialità.

MACRO Testaccio - La Pelanda
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Orazio Giustiniani, 4
Rome, Italy 00153

+39 06 6710 70400

Vittoriano, piazza Venezia
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
piazza Venezia
Rome, Italy

Mercati di Traiano - Museo dei Fori Imperiali
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Via Quattro Novembre, 94
Rome, Italy 00187

060608

Il Museo dei Fori Imperiali nei Mercati di Traiano è legato topograficamente e concettualmente al grandioso sistema urbanistico dei Fori Imperiali: di Cesare (46 a.C.), di Augusto (2 a.C.), il Tempio della Pace (75 d.C.), di Nerva (97 d.C.) e di Traiano (112 e 113 d.C.). Inaugurato nell’autunno 2007, costituisce il primo museo di architettura antica ed espone ricomposizioni di partiture della decorazione architettonica e scultorea dei Fori ottenute con frammenti originali, calchi e integrazioni modulari in pietra, secondo la scelta museografica della reversibilità. Esse restituiscono la “percezione” dei volumi e della ricchezza dei Fori e dei programmi figurativi, strumenti di propaganda imperiale. Il Museo occupa gli edifici della Grande Aula e del Corpo Centrale e comprenderà il Grande Emiciclo con la sezione del Foro di Traiano. Si avvale di un sistema di comunicazione mista, con pannelli tradizionali e tecnologie multimediali. Il percorso espositivo inizia nella Grande Aula con l’introduzione all’area dei Fori e la rappresentazione di ognuno attraverso i rinvenimenti più importanti. Al livello superiore sono le sezioni del Foro di Cesare e della “Memoria dell’antico” e, nel Corpo Centrale, del Foro di Augusto, “modello” adottato nelle Provincia romane. Il complesso monumentale denominato “Mercati di Traiano” in occasione della “riscoperta” negli anni 1926-1934, era un centro “polifunzionale” con attività amministrative al servizio del Foro di Traiano: costruito contestualmente ad esso, è articolato con edifici distinti da strade su 6 livelli lungo le pendici del colle Quirinale, che sostruisce con il Grande Emiciclo. Rioccupato e trasformato nel tempo, negli anni 2005-2007 è stato oggetto di restauri strutturali e conservativi all’avanguardia. Oltre al Museo dei Fori Imperiali, ospita mostre temporanee.

Quirinale
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Quirinale 1
Rome, Italy 00187

3348166150

Frida Kahlo alle Scuderie Del Quirinale
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Via XXIV Maggio
Rome, Italy

<>

Capitoline Hill
Distance: 0.4 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Campidoglio
Rome, Italy 00186

<>

The Capitoline Hill, between the Forum and the Campus Martius, is one of the Seven Hills of Rome. It was the citadel (equivalent of the ancient Greek acropolis) of the earliest Romans. The name capitol seems to have meant "dominant height", although ancient tradition places its origin in caput ("skull": a specific skull found while laying the Temple of Jupiter foundation). By the 16th century, Capitolinus had become Capitolino in Italian, with the alternative Campidoglio stemming from Capitolium, one of the three major spurs of the Capitolinus (the others being Arx and Tarpeius). The Capitoline contains few ancient ground-level ruins, as they are almost entirely covered up by Medieval and Renaissance palaces (now housing the Capitoline Museums) that surround a piazza, a significant urban plan designed by Michelangelo.The English word capitol derives from Capitoline. Capitol Hill in Washington, D.C. is widely assumed to be named after the Capitoline Hill, but the causation is not crystal clear.

Museo Vaticano Roma
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
Viale Vaticano
Rome, Italy 00165

Orto Botanico di Roma
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
Largo Cristina di Svezia, 24
Rome, Italy 00165

06-49917108

The Botanical Garden of Rome cover an area of about 12 hectares in the heart of the city, between Trastevere district and Gianicolo Hill

Palazzo Ferrajoli
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Colonna 355
Rome, Italy 00187

Museo Nazionale Romano - Palazzo Altemps
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
Piazza S. Apollinare, 46
Rome, Italy 00100

+39.06.68485186

Victor Emmanuel Monument, Rome
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Venezia, 00186 Roma, Italy
Rome, Italy 00186

+39 06 678 0664

Palazzo Ferrajoli
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Colonna
Rome, Italy 00186

<>

Museo di Roma in Trastevere
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Piazza S. Egidio, 1/b
Rome, Italy 00153

060608

Il Museo di Roma in Trastevere ha sede nell'ex monastero di sant'Egidio, dove fino alla presa di Roma vissero le carmelitane scalze. Una volta restaurato, nel 1976 l'edificio è divenuto sede del Museo del Folklore e dei poeti romaneschi, dove si conservavano materiali relativi alle tradizioni popolari romane provenienti dal Museo di Roma e dal Gabinetto Comunale delle Stampe. Nel 2000 è stato riaperto al pubblico con la denominazione di Museo di Roma in Trastevere. La nuova ristrutturazione consente un uso più rispondente alle attuali esigenze museografiche, prestandosi in particolar modo all'organizzazione di mostre temporanee soprattutto di fotografia, di spettacoli, convegni e concerti. La collezione permanente del museo mostra gli aspetti salienti della vita popolare romana della fine del Settecento e dell'Ottocento, filtrata attraverso i gusti e i convincimenti degli artisti e dei folkloristi che l'hanno rappresentata. I temi maggiormente presenti nella collezione sono i costumi, le danze popolari, le feste laiche e religiose, i mestieri. In particolare la collezione comprende una raccolta di dipinti, stampe, disegni e acquerelli, tra cui una selezione della famosa serie "Roma sparita", di Ettore Roesler Franz (Roma 1845 - 1907): un presepe di ambientazione ottocentesca romana; sei rappresentazioni veristiche d'ambiente, meglio conosciute come Le Scene Romane, che riproducono a grandezza naturale aspetti della vita popolare romana dell'ottocento. Fanno parte della collezione del museo i materiali appartenuti al grande poeta Trilussa (Roma 1871 - 1950) donati dopo la sua morte al comune di Roma e in parte esposti nella videoinstallazione denominata la "Stanza di Trilussa".

Palazzo Barberini
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
Via delle Quattro Fontane, 13
Rome, Italy 00186

+39064814591

Palazzo Barberini is a palace in Rome, facing the Piazza Barberini in Rione Trevi. It houses the Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Antica.HistoryThe sloping site had formerly been occupied by a garden-vineyard of the Sforza family, in which a palazzetto had been built in 1549. The sloping site passed from one cardinal to another during the sixteenth century, with no project fully getting off the ground.When Cardinal Alessandro Sforza met financial hardships, the still semi-urban site was purchased in 1625 by Maffeo Barberini, of the Barberini family, who became Pope Urban VIII.Three great architects worked to create the Palazzo, each contributing his own style and character to the building. Carlo Maderno, then at work extending the nave of St Peter's, was commissioned to enclose the Villa Sforza within a vast Renaissance block along the lines of Palazzo Farnese; however, the design quickly evolved into a precedent-setting combination of an urban seat of princely power combined with a garden front that had the nature of a suburban villa with a semi-enclosed garden.Maderno began in 1627, assisted by his nephew Francesco Borromini. When Maderno died in 1629, Borromini was passed over and the commission was awarded to Bernini, a young prodigy then better known as a sculptor. Borromini stayed on regardless and the two architects worked together, albeit briefly, on this project and at the Palazzo Spada. Works were completed by Bernini in 1633.

Terme Di Diocleziano
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
Viale Enrico de Nicola, 79
Rome, Italy 00185

ROMA TI AMO - La Mostra
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Orazio Giustiniani 4
Rome, Italy 00153

+39 06 6786209

Palazzo Barberini
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
via delle Quattro Fontane, 13 - 00184 Roma
Rome, Italy 00187

Palazzo Barberini è un palazzo di Roma che ospita parte dell'importante Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Antica e l'Istituto Italiano di Numismatica. Si trova in via Quattro Fontane, nel centro storico, a circa 200 metri da Piazza Barberini.StoriaIl palazzo fu costruito nel periodo 1625-1633 ampliando (nelle forme del primo barocco) il precedente edificio della famiglia Sforza creando una struttura ad acca, caratterizzata da un atrio a ninfeo, diaframma fra il loggiato d'ingresso e il giardino sviluppato sul retro. Autore del progetto è l'anziano Carlo Maderno, coadiuvato da Francesco Borromini.Dopo la morte di Maderno il cantiere passa dal 1629 sotto la direzione di Bernini sempre con la collaborazione di Francesco Borromini, cui si devono numerosi particolari costruttivi e decorativi quali l'elegante scala elicoidale nell'ala ovest del palazzo, con la quale dialoga lo scalone d'onore berniniano a pianta quadrata nell'ala est.Nel 1631 è avvenuta la prima assoluta di Il Sant'Alessio di Stefano Landi con Marc'Antonio Pasqualini e nel 1632 è avvenuta l'inaugurazione del Teatro di Palazzo Barberini alle Quattro Fontane da 3.000 posti con la prima di Il Sant'Alessio con Pasqualini. Nel 1633 avviene la prima di Erminia sul Giordano di Michelangelo Rossi con Pasqualini.

Keats-Shelley House, Rome
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
Piazza di Spagna, 26
Rome, Italy 00187

+39 06 678 4235

National Park Near Palatine Hill

Villa Sciarra
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
Viale Adolfo Leducq
Rome, Italy 00153

Villa Sciarra is a park in Rome named for the villa at its centre. It is located between the neighborhoods of Trastevere, Gianicolo and Monteverde Vecchio. It is not to be confused with the Villa Sciarra in Frascati.LocationThe best approach is from Viale Trastevere. At the Ministry of Education turn onto Via E. Morosini, then take the first left (Via Dandolo) to make the climb and turn left at Via Calandrelli. In Via Calandrelli there are two entrances which are the first giving on to Piazzale Wurts, designed by Pio Piacentini and the second at Largo E. Mintilli.HistoryIn 1653 Cardinal Antonio Barberini bought most of the land within the Janiculum walls between Porta Portese and Porta San Pancrazio to build an estate mainly used as a farm. In 1811 the property was acquired by the Colonna di Sciarra, who gave the villa its current name and enlarged it by acquiring the land belonging to Monastero di San Cosimato. In the 1880s Prince Maffeo Sciarra Colonna went bankrupt and the estate was split and a large part of it became a residential area. The last owners, George Wurts and his wife Henrietta, who was the sister of Charlemagne Tower, established the remaining land as a botanic garden and aviary complex embellished with an original sculptural decoration coming from an 18th-century Lombard villa near Milan. The park was given to Benito Mussolini by the widowed Henrietta in 1932 on condition it became a public park.

Public Places and Attractions Near Palatine Hill

Via del Corso
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
Via del Corso
Rome, Italy

0698875854

Via del Corso è una delle più famose vie di Roma (se non la più famosa). Circondata da palazzi rinascimentali e cuore dello shopping romano si estende per 1,6 km collegando l'importantissima piazza del Popolo con la maestosa piazza Venezia. Oltre ad essere un "must" per tutti i turisti a Roma è diventata un luogo di ritrovo per giovani ed artisti di strada. /----------------------------------------/ Via del Corso is one of the,if not the most, famous street in Rome. Surrounded by Renaissance buildings and the core of the Roman shopping lifestyle, it is 1,6 Km long and connects one of the most important Roman square, piazza del Popolo, and the majestic piazza Venezia. Beyond being a must for all tourists, it is also a meeting place for youths and artists.

Palazzo Montecitorio
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Monte Citorio
Rome, Italy 00186

+39 06 67601

Palazzo Montecitorio è un edificio storico di Roma, che si affaccia su piazza del Parlamento da un lato e su piazza Monte Citorio dall'altro, in cui ha sede la Camera dei Deputati della Repubblica Italiana.

Gasometro
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
Via del Porto Fluviale • gazometro
Rome, Italy 00154

<>

“Gasometro nasce come occasione di presidio dal degrado urbano, di una zona che ha segnato culturalmente la storia italiana e romana dell’ultimo cinquantennio (eletta teatro dei più importanti film del Neorealismo Italiano e celebrata in questo senso dal regista Ferzan Ozpetek che l’ha scelta palcoscenico di tutti i suoi film).Permettere ai cittadini di vivere un’area è l’unica vera forma di difesa dal degrado urbano, in termini di sicurezza, pulizia e decoro civile. La riscoperta di questo luogo, restituito ai cittadini in occasione di un evento a loro dedicato, necessita di un continuo utilizzo per un’area che verrà riqualificata e definitivamente riconsegnata ai cittadini stessi”. Musica, cinema e teatro. Mobilità sostenibile. Il luogo di riscoperta delle tradizioni e della Roma neorealista. Gasometro è vivere la magia di Roma sul Tevere, dove mai è stata vissuta. Programma, contenuti e attività: http://www.gasometro.it

Palazzo del Quirinale
Distance: 0.8 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Quirinale
Rome, Italy 00187

3348166150

Janiculum
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
Passeggiata del Gianicolo
Rome, Italy 00165

The Janiculum is a hill in western Rome, Italy. Although the second-tallest hill (the tallest being Monte Mario) in the contemporary city of Rome, the Janiculum does not figure among the proverbial Seven Hills of Rome, being west of the Tiber and outside the boundaries of the ancient city.SightsThe Janiculum is one of the best locations in Rome for a scenic view of central Rome with its domes and bell towers. Other sights on the Janiculum include the church of San Pietro in Montorio, on what was formerly thought to be the site of St Peter's crucifixion; a small shrine known as the Tempietto, designed by Donato Bramante, marks the supposed site of Peter's death. The Janiculum also houses a Baroque fountain built by Pope Paul V in the late 17th century, the Fontana dell'Acqua Paola, and several foreign research institutions, including the American Academy in Rome and the Spanish Academy in Rome. The Hill is also the location of The American University of Rome, Pontifical Urban University, and Pontifical North American College, as well as the Orto Botanico dell'Università di Roma "La Sapienza" and the Palazzo Montorio, residence of the Ambassadors of Spain.

Trastevere
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
Trastevere
Rome, Italy 00153

<>

Piazza del Quirinale
Distance: 0.7 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Quirinale
Rome, Italy 00187

Villa Celimontana
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza della Navicella
Rome, Italy 00184

+39060606

Basilica di San Pietro in Vincoli
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza di San Pietro in Vincoli, 4a
Rome, Italy 00184

0697844950

Villa Borghese Gardens, Rome, Italia
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
Via Aldrovandi
Rome, Italy

<>

Altare Della Patria
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Venezia
Rome, Italy 00187

Orto Botanico di Roma
Distance: 1.1 mi Tourist Information
Largo Cristina di Svezia, 24
Rome, Italy 00165

06-49917108

The Botanical Garden of Rome cover an area of about 12 hectares in the heart of the city, between Trastevere district and Gianicolo Hill

Gazometro
Distance: 1.4 mi Tourist Information
via del Commercio
Rome, Italy 00154

Museo delle Cere
Distance: 0.6 mi Tourist Information
Piazza dei Santi Apostoli 67
Rome, Italy 00187

Mc Donald Fontana Di Trevi
Distance: 0.9 mi Tourist Information
Via delle Muratte 31
Rome, Italy 00187

06 69290855

Palazzo Barberini. Galleria Nazionale d'Arte Antica
Distance: 1.0 mi Tourist Information
Via Quattro Fontane 13
Rome, Italy 00184

+39 06 4814591

Pagina ufficiale di Palazzo Barberini. Qui trovate non solo gli aggiornamenti e le news sulle nostre attività ma anche approfondimenti culturali sulla storia del palazzo e sui capolavori della pinacoteca. Perché la visita al museo può cominciare molto prima di fare il biglietto e non finire mai. Ci sarà sempre qualcosa da scoprire! Palazzo Barberini official page. Here you'll find not only updates and news about our activities but also cultural insights on the history of the building and on the picture gallery's masterpieces. Because the museum visit can start way before admission and never end. There will always be something to discover!

Trajan's Forum
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Campus Martius
Rome, Italy 00187

<>

Trajan's Forum was the last of the Imperial fora to be constructed in ancient Rome. The architect Apollodorus of Damascus oversaw its construction.HistoryThis forum was built on the order of the emperor Trajan with the spoils of war from the conquest of Dacia, which ended in 106. The Fasti Ostienses state that the Forum was inaugurated in 112, while Trajan's Column was erected and then inaugurated in 113.To build this monumental complex, extensive excavations were required: workers eliminated the sides of the Quirinal and Capitoline (Campidoglio) Hills, which closed the valley occupied by the Imperial forums toward the Campus Martius.It is possible that the excavations were initiated under Emperor Domitian, while the project of the Forum was completely attributed to the architect Apollodorus of Damascus, who also accompanied Emperor Trajan in the Dacian campaign.During the time of the construction, several other projects took place: the construction of the Markets of Trajan, and the renovation of the Caesar's Forum (where the Basilica Argentaria was built) and the Temple of Venus Genetrix.

Santa Maria della Vittoria
Distance: 1.2 mi Tourist Information
Via XX Settembre , 17
Rome, Italy 00187

06.427.40.571

Santa Maria della Vittoria is a Roman Catholic titular church dedicated to the Virgin Mary located in Rome, Italy. The church is known for the masterpiece of Gian Lorenzo Bernini in the Cornaro Chapel, the Ecstasy of Saint Teresa. The church is in the Rione Sallustiano, on number 98 via XX Settembre, where this street intersects with Largo Santa Susanna. It stands to the side of the Fontana dell'Acqua Felice. The church mirrors the Church of Santa Susanna across the Largo. It is about two blocks northwest of Piazza della Repubblica and Teatro dell'Opera metro stop.HistoryThe church was begun in 1605 as a chapel dedicated to Saint Paul for the Discalced Carmelites. After the Catholic victory at the battle of White Mountain in 1620, which reversed the Reformation in Bohemia, the church was rededicated to the Virgin Mary. Turkish standards captured at the 1683 siege of Vienna hang in the church, as part of this theme of victory.

Victor Emmanuel Monument, Rome
Distance: 0.5 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Venezia, 00186 Roma, Italy
Rome, Italy 00186

+39 06 678 0664

Via Giulia Roma
Distance: 1.3 mi Tourist Information
Via Giulia
Rome, Italy 00186

<>

Local Business Near Palatine Hill

Via Dei Presepi, San Gregorio Armeno - Napoli
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via San Gregorio Armeno
Rome, Italy

348 702 7734

Vista Club by Eventi Bolla
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via di San Gregorio
Rome, Italy 00184

3460116807

Circus Maximus
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via Ogliastra 34
Rome, Italy 00186

Il Circo Massimo è un antico circo romano, dedicato alle corse di cavalli, costruito a Roma. Situato nella valle tra il Palatino e l'Aventino, è ricordato come sede di giochi sin dagli inizi della storia della città: nella valle sarebbe avvenuto il mitico episodio del ratto delle Sabine, in occasione dei giochi indetti da Romolo in onore del dio Consus. Di certo l'ampio spazio pianeggiante e la sua prossimità all'approdo del Tevere dove dall'antichità più remota si svolgevano gli scambi commerciali, fecero sì che il luogo costituisse fin dalla fondazione della città lo spazio elettivo in cui condurre attività di mercato e di scambi con altre popolazioni, e – di conseguenza – anche le connesse attività rituali (si pensi all'Ara massima di Ercole) e di socializzazione, come giochi e gare.Con i suoi 600 metri di lunghezza e 140 di larghezza, è considerata la più grande struttura per spettacoli costruita dall'uomo.StoriaLe prime installazioni in legno, probabilmente in gran parte mobili, risalirebbero all'epoca di Tarquinio Prisco, nella prima metà del VI secolo a.C. La costruzione di primi impianti stabili risalirebbe al 329 a.C., quando furono edificati i primi carceres. Le prime strutture in muratura, soprattutto legate alle attrezzature per le gare, si ebbero probabilmente solo nel II secolo a.C. e fu Gaio Giulio Cesare a costruire i primi sedili in muratura e a dare la forma definitiva all'edificio, a partire dal 46 a.C.

Santeo
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via Di San Teodoro 88
Rome, Italy 00186

0669920945

Anima Mundi
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via del Velabro 1
Rome, Italy 00161

Via Di San Teodoro
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
via di san teodoro
Rome, Italy

<>

Arco di Costantino
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via di San Gregorio
Rome, Italy 00186

L'arco di Costantino è un arco trionfale a tre fornici, situato a Roma, a breve distanza dal Colosseo. Oltre alla notevole importanza storica come monumento, l'Arco può essere considerato come un vero e proprio museo di scultura romana ufficiale, straordinario per ricchezza e importanza. Le dimensioni generali del prospetto sono di 21 m di altezza, 25,9 metri di larghezza e 7,4 m di profondità.

San Giorgio in Velabro
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via del Velabro 19
Rome, Italy 00186

San Giorgio in Velabro is a church in Rome, Italy, devoted to St. George.The church is located in the ancient Roman Velabrum, near the Arch of Janus, in the rione of Ripa. Sited near the River Tiber, it is within a complex of Republican-era pagan temples associated with the port of Rome. The ancient Arcus Argentariorum is attached to the side of the church's façade.San Giorgio in Velabro is the station church for the first Thursday in Lent.HistoryThe first religious building attested in the place of the current basilica is a diaconia, funded by Pope Gregory the Great.The current church was built during the 7th century, possibly by Pope Leo II, who dedicated it to Saint Sebastian. A 482 inscription in the catacombs of St. Callixtus probably refers of a church in the same zone. Its plan is irregular, indeed slightly trapezoidal, as a result of the frequent additions to the building. As can be seen from the lower photograph, the interior columns are almost randomly arranged having been taken from sundry Roman temples.

Arch of Constantine
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo
Rome, Italy 00184

The Arch of Constantine is a triumphal arch in Rome, situated between the Colosseum and the Palatine Hill. It was erected by the Roman Senate to commemorate Constantine I's victory over Maxentius at the Battle of Milvian Bridge in 312. Dedicated in 315, it is the largest Roman triumphal arch. The arch spans the Via triumphalis, the way taken by the emperors when they entered the city in triumph.Though dedicated to Constantine, much of the decorative material incorporated earlier work from the time of the emperors Trajan, Hadrian and Marcus Aurelius, and is thus a collage. The last of the existing triumphal arches in Rome, it is also the only one to make extensive use of spolia, reusing several major reliefs from 2nd century imperial monuments, which give a striking and famous stylistic contrast to the sculpture newly created for the arch. This earned it the derisive nickname of Cornacchia di Esopo Aesop's Crow.The arch is 21 m high, 25.9 m wide and 7.4 m deep. It has three archways, the central one being 11.5 m high and 6.5 m wide and the lateral archways 7.4 m by 3.4 m each. Above the archways is placed the attic, composed of brickwork reveted with marble. A staircase within the arch is entered from a door at some height from the ground, on the west side, facing the Palatine Hill. The general design with a main part structured by detached columns and an attic with the main inscription above is modelled after the example of the Arch of Septimius Severus on the Roman Forum.

Arch of Janus
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Via del Velabro 16
Rome, Italy 00186

The Arch of Janus is the only quadrifrons triumphal arch preserved in Rome. It was set up at a crossroads at the northeastern limit of the Forum Boarium, close to the Velabrum, over the Cloaca Maxima drain that went from the Forum to the River Tiber. It was built in the early 4th century CE, using spolia, i.e. material from earlier buildings, including bricks, together with pottery shards, and was covered with white marble, also from earlier buildings. The exact significance of the arch is poorly understood: it is thought to have been a boundary marker rather than a triumphal arch. An alternative view is that it was built to provide shelter for the traders at the Forum Boarium cattle market. Some researchers believe it was dedicated to Constantine I or Constantius II and was known as the Arch of the Deified Constantine. It is 16 meters high and 12 meters wide.Each pier of the arch has two rows of three niches. It seems logical that statues would have filled these 48 niches but none has been identified. The stone at the apex of the central arch on the north side is thought to depict Minerva, although others believe it may be Palladium. Its current name probably dates from the Renaissance or later, and was not used to describe it in classical antiquity. The name is derived from the structure's four-fronted, four-arched configuration. The ancient Roman God Janus (Ianus Quadrifons), was sometimes depicted with four faces and there are Janus-related structures mentioned in historic descriptions of ancient Rome.

Temple of Venus and Roma
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Piazza del Colosseo Roma
Rome, Italy

The Temple of Venus and Roma Latin: Templum Veneris et Romae is thought to have been the largest temple in Ancient Rome. Located on the Velian Hill, between the eastern edge of the Forum Romanum and the Colosseum, it was dedicated to the goddesses Venus Felix ("Venus the Bringer of Good Fortune") and Roma Aeterna ("Eternal Rome"). The architect was the emperor Hadrian and construction began in 121. It was officially inaugurated by Hadrian in 135, and finished in 141 under Antoninus Pius. Damaged by fire in 307, it was restored with alterations by the emperor Maxentius.HistoryIn order to build the temple, erected on the remnants of the porticoed vestibule to Emperor Nero's Domus Aurea, the Colossus of Nero was moved and placed near the amphitheatre, which shortly afterwards became known as the Colosseum. Unimpressed by his emperor's architectural skills, Hadrian's most brilliant architect, Apollodorus, made a scornful remark on the size of the seated statues within the cellae, saying that they would surely hurt their heads if they tried to stand up from their thrones. Apollodorus was banished and executed not long after this.

The Rolling Stones - 14 on Fire
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
Circo massimo - Roma
Rome, Italy

Foro Romano E Palatino
Distance: 0.2 mi Tourist Information
via sacra
Rome, Italy

Aula consiliare Municipio " Roma Centro Storico"
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via della Greca, 5
Rome, Italy 00186

Giardino delle Rose - Roma
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via Latina 86
Rome, Italy 00153

06.7887555

Fondazione Teatro Dell Opera Di Roma
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Piazza Bocca Della Verita' 16
Rome, Italy 00186

066793431

Il Roseto Comunale Roma
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via di Valle Murcia, 7
Rome, Italy 00153

Roseto Di Roma Capitale
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via Di Valle Murcia
Rome, Italy

Piazza Della Consolazione
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Consolazione
Rome, Italy 00186

Fori Imperiali Colosseo - Roma
Distance: 0.3 mi Tourist Information
Via dei Fori Imperiali
Rome, Italy 00186

<>